Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

First time buyer - mileage and maintenance question. VW Jetta SportWagen.

berty200berty200 Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Volkswagen

Hey,

I'm a first time car buyer and I'm very interested in the Sportwagen TDI for its mileage and its cargo capacity. However, a new TDI is out of my budget, so I'm looking at used (CPO) cars. I've found a few good cars within my budget with one previous owner, but I was wondering how quickly maintenance costs can add up on this car as mileage increases.

I found a few good options at around 30k, and a few around 50k. I guess what my question comes down to is if I get one of these cars, what kind of maintenance costs could I expect and in how long/how often?

Thanks.

Comments

• ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 858

Your TDI Sportwagen interest is easy to understand: they have much going for them. Fuel efficiency for one: Fuelly.com says my average for 15,500 miles is 44.5 MPG. I've had zero problems to date (but I also have the two warranty backups: 3/36000 basic; 5/60,000 power train.

These cars are getting better (Just look at what CR says about my 2013 JSW TDI 6M).

But I would not be a used one. You need that warranty.

all the best from our left coast

• The first big cost that isn't covered under new maintenance is the big 40K service, which ranges from 400 for a manual TDI to over 600 for a DSG automatic.

When you look at cost differential between the new and CPO'd, it isnt much. I would look at dealers that have multiple versions of the same JSW TDI, for example my dealer had 6 of the 14 JSW TDI no sunroof no nav in silver, so they were eager to move them and i get 4K off of MSRP.

Not sure if the CPO covers the maintenance costs, i dont think it does after the 3/36 mark, but if you buy CPO buy a lower mileage one