Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    He's worse than that. He has a weird thing against German cars, and modern cars in general. He's not making a good stereotype.
    qbrozen said:

wow, that Scotty dude is ANNOYING!

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    Interesting. Like they said...variables.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    fintail said:

He's worse than that. He has a weird thing against German cars, and modern cars in general. He's not making a good stereotype.

qbrozen said:

He is more of a tool than a mechanic...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    carnaught said:
    I'm going to be in Hollywood, FL 38p0for a work conference from April 8th-April 12th and I'm debating whether to rent a car or just use the hotel's airport shuttle. For those who know the area is there anything near The Diplomat Beach Resort that would be worth checking out in the evening?
    Hollywood Beach is in proximity to multiple areas with various restaurants, beaches and other nice sightseeing venues. It depends on whether you want to cruise the area from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami Beach, or whether you would be happy just hanging around the hotel. If you are debating a car rental, check out the rates at or near the hotel vs. those with a rental pick-up at the airport.
    One thing you may want to do is check with the resort, they may have a relationship with a rental company to get a discount on a rental through them. I have done that at a few resorts I have stayed with.

Or they might have a shuttle service. 

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    I bought the Carly app and wi-fi dongle to diagnose and modify some of the settings on the 2er and Mini. You can register batteries in less than five minutes and also code several modules. It compliments my Foxwell scanner as the App can do a few things that the scanner can't- and vice versa. The total outlay for both was less than 3 hours of labor so the math works out well for a DIY guy like myself.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    abacomike said:

@pensfan83

Hey, pensfan, if you get the opportunity, I’d love the opportunity to meet you when you’re down here for your conference.  As mentioned in several posts here, my passenger seat sure could use a passenger for a night out.

If you’re game, send me a private message and I’ll give you my phone number.  Just a thought.

Well, if that is an offer to pick up the tab, I can't imagine a guy from the Burgh turning that down. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    carnaught said:
    I'm going to be in Hollywood, FL 38p0for a work conference from April 8th-April 12th and I'm debating whether to rent a car or just use the hotel's airport shuttle. For those who know the area is there anything near The Diplomat Beach Resort that would be worth checking out in the evening?
    Hollywood Beach is in proximity to multiple areas with various restaurants, beaches and other nice sightseeing venues. It depends on whether you want to cruise the area from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami Beach, or whether you would be happy just hanging around the hotel. If you are debating a car rental, check out the rates at or near the hotel vs. those with a rental pick-up at the airport.
    One thing you may want to do is check with the resort, they may have a relationship with a rental company to get a discount on a rental through them. I have done that at a few resorts I have stayed with.

Or they might have a shuttle service. 
    The Diplomat Hotel & Resort is not that far from Fort  Lauderdale/Hollywood Int’l Airport.  But you should be aware that they’ve changed a lot of the vehicular routing in and out of that airport.  The new runway now can handle all the new wide-body aircraft (“heavy” designated aircraft) but it actually was constructed over US 1 now which caused the need for “fly-overs” for US 1 and approaching interstates.

Sometimes renting cars at the airport is much more expensive than renting in Hollywood nearer the hotel from Enterprise or similar companies.  

I agree that that if you are set on renting a car, contact the hotel’s concierge - they usually have an “in” for services like rental cars for guests.  Who knows, there might even be a rental agency at or very close to the Diplomat.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Golf will be fixed as of yesterday,took me to make a lot of phone calls to finally get an answer. That and they extended the rental period by a week since they took so long deciding what to do here. Promised me a "perfect vehicle" when done, so we shall see. Should really be totaled but it's not my call and if unhappy once I get it back, can always trade but with a major ding on the Carfax, I could be getting screwed again here!
    Did test drive a Buick Encore, very nice and perfect size, and a top of the line Subaru Imprezza Limited. Gorgeous vehicle and since they did a major refresh for 2017, it's really an excellent vehicle. Had a great Harman Kardon audio system and sunroof, leather & all the safety nannies I could ever need. It's a CVT but nicely done as it feels like a regular auto tranny and even the tach functions like one should. We took it on the expressway I use frequently, the Sawgrass Expressway, and accelerated briskly, definitely something I could live with. Took it home for the garage test and at 175", just fit with the front bumper really close to the wall that the a/c air handler sits on and about 4 or 5 inches out back. Would fit but would need to be careful.
    So, hoping for the best here when I get it home and can always trade out if not happy. In a strange way, glad that I'm not forced to buy right now as I'd rather do it on my terms, when I am truly ready. Not at that point yet but if they had totaled it, would've just bought something.

The Sandman :(B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Across the street is the new Enterprise office from what I've been told. It used to be Hertz and I worked that office for a few months in early 2014. Heard Enterprise took over the space last year and it's just across the street from the hotel. Think you'll have no problems to be honest.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Mentioned in the other forum that a good friend from New York passed on Monday, at 64. We're all devastated and we had just emailed back and forth a couple weeks back. She had just retired and was enjoying time with her grandkids. She was so happy.
    But, this did put things in perspective for me, especially with my recent auto accident. I wasn't hurt, just banged up a bit, and the vehicle can be fixed. But, we lost one of the nicest ladies I have ever met, one of the "good ones"! Just made me stop being so unhappy about my current situation and to look at all the blessings G-d has given me, us, and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Just thankful now to wake up every morning, as the rest will work out in time.
    Leslie, may you rest in peace for all eternity!!

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    tjc78 said:

Second one was strange too. I had to buy a TV to be picked up in the next state by one of my team members. So I logged onto Walmart.com and did the deal. Before I even got the email confirmation from Walmart, Wells Fargo popped into my email asking if the charge was fraud. Thought that was weird but I guess two odd charges back to back set off an alert. Amazing how quick the technology is.

TV was being delivered to other than the address on the credit card. A good credit card company there intervening to reduce their theft levels...

I was ordering a replacement Samsung S7 for my son before Christmas from home to be delivered to home. I assume expensive phones are a high fraud category for CC comapnies.

It was Verizon compatible phone and was for Net10 use with bring your own phone plan. I got a message after the purchase that it had been declined by email an hour later. I then saw my cellphone had a text message asking to verify the order while I was on the computer ordering the S7... When I checked back, the company had put the payment through a second time which had been honored. I've learned to keep my cell phone next to me when ordering using CC on computer instead of paypal.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    If the food is good, have no issue waiting to get seated. One thing I truly hate is spending good money on mediocre food, would rather not go if the food is just meh as I feel like I was taken. But for a truly delicious meal, have no issue waiting for ever how long.
    Pen, definitely use Lyft when you're down here as they are efficient and very cost effective. The last few times I've been to the Hard Rock to pick up or drop off one of our rentals, I've had to go inside to drop/pick up the keys at the main information desk. The place reeks of cigarette smoke and since I'm allergic to it, I quickly leave the building. Glad to hear that they do have a smoke free wing for folks like me. But, check it out as it's quite an impressive place. And yes, spring break is in full mode right now and rentals are hard to come by. I know yesterday, every vehicle we shuttled to some of our locations were gone within a very short time. One office even had folks waiting for the vehicles we were dropping off, it was a crazy day yesterday.
    Am lucky that I got my current rental a couple weeks ago and now, they've added an additional week on to my month rental. Finally ended up with a 2017 RAV4 and it's fine for my purposes. The GLA 250 I had was fun for a few days but just too thirsty. The RAV4 is better in that respect and I can just slide in and out easily which my bad back is happy about. Did call them yesterday to see if they wanted to swap me into something else because figured they might need the vehicle for a larger family. I'd have no issue going into something smaller but they said all is good and to just keep the Toyota until my VW is finished.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    @abacomike thanks so much for the information and recommendations. If the opportunity allows I would love to meet up with you and make use of the Mercs passenger seat. ;)

I will message you my cell phone number.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Oh and Happy Saint Patrick's Day from the second biggest Saint Patrick's Day parade in the country. After this number one son and myself are off to see the Duke basketball game.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited March 2018
    Interesting to see that street paved with bricks, @pensfan83 - up here the snowplows would destroy that in short order, especially with our frequent freeze/thaw cycles heaving the bricks, aided and abetted by our ample use of road salt. The city tried that with some sidewalks a couple of decades ago and they heaved so badly they quickly became known as "ankle-benders" among locals.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    We've had brick sidewalks and crosswalks in our downtown area for a couple decades. Every couple of years the city has to tear up and reset one part of them. I'd guess each area gets redone every 4 years. Good money for the service folks they bring in to do the work. They look nice. They were built by a government grant.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    pensfan83 said:
    Oh and Happy Saint Patrick's Day from the second biggest Saint Patrick's Day parade in the country. After this number one son and myself are off to see the Duke basketball game.
    Many happy (fuzzy) memories from college and law school going to the St Paddys day parade in Pittsburgh!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     TJ see that’s good that they’re asking you if the charge is legit or not Chase is pretty good like that with me too if it’s big I’ll get a phone call and an email right away 
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     I am with you I love won’t wait over an hour to eat Aldo like Mike said in the posting above of his wonderful restaurant experience in Jacksonville Florida when I was seeing his brother that it was worth the wait that’s also true there’s positives and negatives in life with everything ha ha Ha 
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2018
    qbrozen said:

Drives me nuts that guy. That's what video will do to a man. In real life, maybe he's not so off-putting but he's trying way too hard there on YouTube.

Reminds me of the old hippie mechanics who warned against "fuel injection" back in the day. Trouble! No one can fix it! It'll cost a fortune! Needless complication!

Turns out it saved the auto industry.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    Nice bricks....but in Tampa we paint the Hillsborough River green!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Sandman and oldfarmer....love reading your car reviews about real people driving real cars.

I used to watch Motor Week and I liked hearing about cars I would like to own, not some rare $250000 car that I can't identify with.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @driver100,
    I guess Tampa decided to copy Chicago. One of my kids goes to Chicago every year for St Patrick's Day.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    driver100 said:

WE? So you come to our country and pollute one of our rivers. No wonder you're going to be deported soon. :@

jmonroe

• Options
    pensfan83 said:
    @abacomike thanks so much for the information and recommendations. If the opportunity allows I would love to meet up with you and make use of the Mercs passenger seat. ;)

I will message you my cell phone number.
    Sounds great - I’ll put the number in my contacts file on my phone.  If you have any other questions about the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale area, just let me know.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    edited March 2018
    Scare with Enclave today. On the way home from my sons birthday party, it started making a really loud squealing noise. Pulled over to check if I was dragging something or if something got stuck in the wheel. I didn’t see anything, so wasn’t quite sure what to do. I drove a little further to a parking lot and went a few feet forward, then back a few times and finally in reverse heard a loud scrape and then the next time forward the noise was gone.

What do you guys think happened? My guess is small piece of debris got lodged between the pad and rotor.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @driver100, I guess Tampa decided to copy Chicago. One of my kids goes to Chicago every year for St Patrick's Day.
    Yep - they dye the Chicago River in the Downtown area “GREEN” on St. Pats Day.  I used to live in Chicago.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    tjc78 said:
    Scare with Enclave today. On the way home from my sons birthday party, it started making a really loud squealing noise. Pulled over to check if I was dragging something or if something got stuck in the wheel. I didn’t see anything, so wasn’t quite sure what to do. I drove a little further to a parking lot and went a few feet forward, then back a few times and finally in reverse heard a loud scrape and then the next time forward the noise was gone. What do you guys think happened? My guess is small piece of debris got lodged between the pad and rotor.
    Sounds like it. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    tjc78 said:

Scare with Enclave today. On the way home from my sons birthday party, it started making a really loud squealing noise. Pulled over to check if I was dragging something or if something got stuck in the wheel. I didn’t see anything, so wasn’t quite sure what to do. I drove a little further to a parking lot and went a few feet forward, then back a few times and finally in reverse heard a loud scrape and then the next time forward the noise was gone.

What do you guys think happened? My guess is small piece of debris got lodged between the pad and rotor.

I had the same thing happen yesterday except I figured it was a piece of ice from driving through a snow bank. Lasted about a block then went away.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tjc78 said:
    Scare with Enclave today. On the way home from my sons birthday party, it started making a really loud squealing noise. Pulled over to check if I was dragging something or if something got stuck in the wheel. I didn’t see anything, so wasn’t quite sure what to do. I drove a little further to a parking lot and went a few feet forward, then back a few times and finally in reverse heard a loud scrape and then the next time forward the noise was gone. What do you guys think happened? My guess is small piece of debris got lodged between the pad and rotor.
    Sounds like it. 
    Might also be a loose fan belt.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78 said:

That would happen to my wife's 1997 528i on a monthly basis- and it's also popped up on the i3 several times.

• Options
    abacomike said:

tjc78 said:

Sounds like it. 

Might also be a loose fan belt.

Very similar sound, but it was only when moving.

• Options

tjc78 said:

That would happen to my wife's 1997 528i on a monthly basis- and it's also popped up on the i3 several times.
    Thanks! I’m surprised I’ve never had this happen on any of my cars.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

If it was a BMW, I'd say the last time you installed brake pads you didn't "register" them. But since it's from Detroit, I'd say you probably found and fixed your problem until the next time. And if there is a next time, I'd check the backing plate at each wheel to be sure it isn't bent, thereby allowing a stone to be easily thrown between it and the rotor.

jmonroe

• Options
    jmonroe said:

If it was a BMW, I'd say the last time you installed brake pads you didn't "register" them. But since it's from Detroit, I'd say you probably found and fixed your problem until the next time. And if there is a next time, I'd check the backing plate at each wheel to be sure it isn't bent, thereby allowing a stone to be easily thrown between it and the rotor.

I was going to suggest that it was an unregistered pebble lodged between a rotating part and a fixed part, but your explanation is more likely.

• Options
    Motorweek used to be on Saturday afternoons at 3:30 on the local PBS station but lately, no longer there. Today being another Saturday that I wait till 3:30 and find it not on. A bit frustrating but can see most of it online, so just go there. Been watching it for so many years and think it's one of the best out there.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    motorweek is now on Velocity network. So look there.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    abacomike said:

@driver100,
    I guess Tampa decided to copy Chicago. One of my kids goes to Chicago every year for St Patrick's Day.

Yep - they dye the Chicago River in the Downtown area “GREEN” on St. Pats Day.  I used to live in Chicago.

Well "ours" is a prettier green :p

• Options
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

WE? So you come to our country and pollute one of our rivers. No wonder you're going to be deported soon. :@

jmonroe
    I pay my $2300 in property taxes....I should be allowed to call it "our", especially since I help pay for it!

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    make that $2300 per month, and you can move to NJ!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Not on Velocity Canada though. But the last few years I remember watching Motorweek on PBS it struck me as a show well past its prime.

Sandy, the PBS schedule seems theoretical at best. One of my habits used to be watching the Saturday afternoon cooking shows on PBS out of Boston or Detroit, both of which I get on cable. But it seems about half the time (like the last 3 Saturdays) they have pre-empted those in favor of "special" fundraising programming, which almost always seems to be far worse than their normal schedule. These beg-a-thons are necessary I guess, but I don't understand who watches the self-help shows they tend to air during those weeks. The only consolation is that what used to be my favorite cooking show, America's Test Kitchen, has gone way downhill since Chris Kimball left/was fired, so missing it is now not that much of a loss. He has his own show now on there but it isn't as good as the old ATK either.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    I pay my $2300 in property taxes....I should be allowed to call it "our", especially since I help pay for it!
    Ha $2300... I’m over 6 and I don’t even want to think what they do to me once I get tagged for the addition.

@stickguy in his hood probably pays near 10.

• Options
    My cable company doesn't offer us Velocity channel so outta luck there. Too bad since I enjoy the show. just will watch it online then.

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Your tax dollars also went into whatever green stuff they poured into the river for a one day event. Think about THAT the next time you hit an unrepaired pothole!
  • Options
    driver100 said:
    @driver100, I guess Tampa decided to copy Chicago. One of my kids goes to Chicago every year for St Patrick's Day.
    “Prettier”, driver?  I’m seriously starting to wonder about you, driver - “prettier” or “cuter”?  6 of one or a half dozen of the other.  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Delete

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

My cable company doesn't offer us Velocity channel so outta luck there. Too bad since I enjoy the show. just will watch it online then. The Sandman :(B)
    Sandy, don’t you have Comcast?  I thought most areas up here in north Broward County were on Comcast - because Velocity Channel is on Comcast.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguy said:

Thanks stick and sandman.

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100,

“Prettier”, driver?  I’m seriously starting to wonder about you, driver - “prettier” or “cuter”?  6 of one or a half dozen of the other.  :D

I didn't want to call theirs putrid green.......come on....what would you have said?

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Umm. Kelly Green?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert