Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

JM....When I go I am leaving my horizontal striped T-shirt to you. You can try to get into it or you can use it to wax your car. At least you will have a lasting memento of The Driver.

When are you going? ...back to Canada, that is. I have started seeing trailer homes being towed north with Canadian plates on them. I assume they're coming from Florida.

I feel for them. I can see driving a nice comfortable car from Florida back North. But driving a heavy pickup with a silver trailer home has to be grueling. I can just picture going up the hills in TN.

We get picked up by airport Shuttle Sunday at 9 a.m.
    Fly to Toronto...leaving at noon. Expected arrival about 3:15.
    My SIL/BIL left yesterday to avoid the huge end of the month crowd...who will leave on Mar 31 or April 1.
    They should get home late tomorrow afternoon. 2 1/2 days of driving, or 3 hours by plane....we are spoiled now.
    Some of those Ford F-150s with a trailer get about 8 mpg!
    A pad to park the trailer on can easily be $1500 to $2000 a month.
    We had friends with a 5th wheel. Not to be a snob, but you have to live the way you want, but, we had lunch sitting between 2 trailer homes.....with huge tires right next to us.
    Not my idea of a good time.
    My father and step mother had a 5th wheel. He kept it at an RV park about a half hour from his house. They used it for evening and weekend getaways.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    stickguy said:

any reason in particular that you are looking to replace a 2015 already? Especially when you have 2 other cars on hand. Just like spares?

I was wondering the same thing. (And how much he wanted for that low mileage ‘15).

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

Note: Stomach may look larger than chest due to the angle the picture was taken from.

Yeah, it's the angle of the shot, keep telling yourself that.

ab348 said:

Driver may not think he needs a plane to fly home in if he’s wearing that outfit. 

I don't think they would let him back into Canada wearing that outfit.

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Ok, 🎭who brought the kryptonite?😱
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

In other news:

Driver100 will be happy to see what Tim Hortons has waiting for him once he returns home.

Man those look sick. I don't eat donuts any more.....have had half of one in about 5 years. A tennis guy brought some for his birthday......I struggled with half. I have to stay in shape to get into my Superman costume.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

In other news:

Driver100 will be happy to see what Tim Hortons has waiting for him once he returns home.

This is a time that @driver100 can't comment back. He's in the air.

Oh yeh, I am back! Got home about 7 p.m. Of course home computer had to do updates....5 months worth, and I had to log in to Howdy Partner.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    driver100 said:

In other news:

Oh yeh, I am back! Got home about 7 p.m. Of course home computer had to do updates....5 months worth, and I had to log in to Howdy Partner.
    Glad you made it back safely.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

JM....When I go I am leaving my horizontal striped T-shirt to you. You can try to get into it or you can use it to wax your car. At least you will have a lasting memento of The Driver.

When are you going? ...back to Canada, that is. I have started seeing trailer homes being towed north with Canadian plates on them. I assume they're coming from Florida.

I feel for them. I can see driving a nice comfortable car from Florida back North. But driving a heavy pickup with a silver trailer home has to be grueling. I can just picture going up the hills in TN.

My SIL/BIL left yesterday to avoid the huge end of the month crowd...who will leave on Mar 31 or April 1.
    They should get home late tomorrow afternoon. 2 1/2 days of driving, or 3 hours by plane....we are spoiled now.
    We had friends with a 5th wheel. Not to be a snob, but you have to live the way you want, but, we had lunch sitting between 2 trailer homes.....with huge tires right next to us.
    My father and step mother had a 5th wheel. He kept it at an RV park about a half hour from his house. They used it for evening and weekend getaways.
    I am afraid to ask....but why?
    Why leave all the comforts of home to live in an RV? Esp when it is 30 minutes away.

driver100 said:

Note: Stomach may look larger than chest due to the angle the picture was taken from.

Yeah, it's the angle of the shot, keep telling yourself that.
    I have others pictures from a different angle....makes me look like the real Superman.

sda said:

driver100 said:

In other news:

Thanks SDA! I left 80F and get home and there is snow on the ground and it is 26F....I am freezing my butt off. Trixie can't figure out what snow is all about....and she doesn't like the cold. Since she is an American citizen they should let us stay in Florida an extra month.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    driver100 said:
    In other news: Driver100 will be happy to see what Tim Hortons has waiting for him once he returns home.
    Thanks SDA! I left 80F and get home and there is snow on the ground and it is 26F....I am freezing my butt off. Trixie can't figure out what snow is all about....and she doesn't like the cold. Since she is an American citizen they should let us stay in Florida an extra month.
    @Driver welcome home. While you were bragging from FL I felt real jealous but not anymore. Pretty soon we will be off to our Caribbean home after a long wait for termite remediation. 

The termite damage was so extensive that they ate all untreated wood including, doors, kitchen cabinets, window frames and even furniture. Worst yet they have wings and are still around buried in the soil. 
    driver100 said:
    In other news: Driver100 will be happy to see what Tim Hortons has waiting for him once he returns home.
    Man those look sick. I don't eat donuts any more.....have had half of one in about 5 years. A tennis guy brought some for his birthday......I struggled with half. I have to stay in shape to get into my Superman costume.
    Well round is a shape.

driver100 said:
    When are you going? ...back to Canada, that is. I have started seeing trailer homes being towed north with Canadian plates on them. I assume they're coming from Florida. I feel for them. I can see driving a nice comfortable car from Florida back North. But driving a heavy pickup with a silver trailer home has to be grueling. I can just picture going up the hills in TN.
    We get picked up by airport Shuttle Sunday at 9 a.m. Fly to Toronto...leaving at noon. Expected arrival about 3:15. My SIL/BIL left yesterday to avoid the huge end of the month crowd...who will leave on Mar 31 or April 1. They should get home late tomorrow afternoon. 2 1/2 days of driving, or 3 hours by plane....we are spoiled now. Some of those Ford F-150s with a trailer get about 8 mpg! A pad to park the trailer on can easily be $1500 to $2000 a month. We had friends with a 5th wheel. Not to be a snob, but you have to live the way you want, but, we had lunch sitting between 2 trailer homes.....with huge tires right next to us. Not my idea of a good time.
    I am afraid to ask....but why? Why leave all the comforts of home to live in an RV? Esp when it is 30 minutes away.
    Well there were recreational activities there not available at home plus it's a different community there. Basically its different from home, different environment and activities.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    stickguy said:

any reason in particular that you are looking to replace a 2015 already? Especially when you have 2 other cars on hand. Just like spares?

The CrossTrek my daughter uses exclusively so it doesn't really enter the equation.

It's out of warranty and it's just her time. She isn't really very interested, but that's normal. Cars are just transportation to her. I would like her to have the safety features available with the Subaru Eyesight system.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited March 2019

stickguy said:

I was wondering the same thing. (And how much he wanted for that low mileage ‘15).
    LOL. I want all I can get and the dealer would like me to give it to them.

Our Subaru dealer has a habit of trying to steal your trade. It's always a struggle. Edmunds values it at almost 17.5k Trade In. I usually do better then that.

It has about 24,000 miles.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    driver100 said:
    When are you going? ...back to Canada, that is. I have started seeing trailer homes being towed north with Canadian plates on them. I assume they're coming from Florida. I feel for them. I can see driving a nice comfortable car from Florida back North. But driving a heavy pickup with a silver trailer home has to be grueling. I can just picture going up the hills in TN.
    We get picked up by airport Shuttle Sunday at 9 a.m. Fly to Toronto...leaving at noon. Expected arrival about 3:15. My SIL/BIL left yesterday to avoid the huge end of the month crowd...who will leave on Mar 31 or April 1. They should get home late tomorrow afternoon. 2 1/2 days of driving, or 3 hours by plane....we are spoiled now. Some of those Ford F-150s with a trailer get about 8 mpg! A pad to park the trailer on can easily be $1500 to $2000 a month. We had friends with a 5th wheel. Not to be a snob, but you have to live the way you want, but, we had lunch sitting between 2 trailer homes.....with huge tires right next to us. Not my idea of a good time.
    I am afraid to ask....but why? Why leave all the comforts of home to live in an RV? Esp when it is 30 minutes away.
    This is exactly what my folks did, and I wondered the same thing. I think my dad largely did it for mom. She just likes being outdoors, wandering the trails, etc. lasted about 2 yrs. He sold it last year. Even after buying it used, he still took a bath on it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Happy April you fools.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    venture said:

The hunt begins.

Took Mrs. Venture out to look at a replacement for her '15 Forester.

Looked at the Honda CR-V and HR-V. She didn't respond other than a few of her friends have CR-V's and have had problems with them. Didn't know what problems and very doubtful she will find out.

She seemed a little interested in the VW Tiguan, especially that you can get a third row seat (for the 3 times a year when it would be nice to have).

She asked if the Forester offers a third row seat so there still seems to be interest in Subaru. I told her if she decides on an Outback she should wait for the 2020's and the new platform.

All in all, the trip was underwhelming. About what I expected. More some other day. It was cold and snowing. Grrrrr.

The Hyundai Pallisade is coming this summer.
    edited April 2019
    Due to a host of factors, I look more @ structural underpinnings/components, aka., reliability, durability & constant improvement rather than the latest 6 mo to 9 month “cosmetic” “yearly” iteration. The fact that the tried & true colors: black, white, silver, dark grey, grey, red, (iterations of each color) are habitually the majority (84.9%) of the 6 mo/9 mo/12 mo yearly markets is inexplicable given “6/9/12 mo cosmetic” changes. https://www.bankrate.com/financing/cars/whats-the-most-popular-car-color/
    https://www.kbb.com/car-news/what-are-the-best-car-colors-to-buy-/2100006449/

The good news of course are the latest model iterations of almost anything can, should, does last 100,000 miles to 150,000 miles or FIRST MAJOR tune up & 2 nd on up major tune up.

Almost all major carmakers have invested billions of dollars going to the concepts. (fewer platforms & greater % shared parts)

So for example the 2012 VW Touareg TDI was on a platform (PL, 71,72,73) designed/used in 2000, also common to the Porsche Cayenne. The 2019 Porsche Cayenne (PL 71,72,73) 3rd generation was “redesigned”. The numbers indicate it’s one of the best handling CUV’s on the markets. Almost every option is “customizable”. (platform being almost 20 years old & going forward) Most Porsche purists will refuse to acknowledge the sales of this platform single-handedly saved Porsche from bankruptcy or sales. It makes Porsche sales both strong and very profitable going forward.
    edited April 2019
    bwia said:

driver100 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

In other news:

Driver welcome home. While you were bragging from FL I felt real jealous but not anymore. Pretty soon we will be off to our Caribbean home after a long wait for termite remediation. 

The termite damage was so extensive that they ate all untreated wood including, doors, kitchen cabinets, window frames and even furniture. Worst yet they have wings and are still around buried in the soil.

Thanks, and have a good trip to the Caribbean bwia. Those termites sound worse than the ones we have in Florida. Some of the units that were built early seem to have the problem....put up a tent, gas them, and you can return in a few days. I guess everything has its advantages and disadvantages......you pay a price to have that nice weather.
    You deserve a break after the winter you have had.

edited April 2019

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I am afraid to ask....but why?
    Why leave all the comforts of home to live in an RV? Esp when it is 30 minutes away.

Well there were recreational activities there not available at home plus it's a different community there. Basically its different from home, different environment and activities

I get that. I know people who do something similar. In a way it makes more sense, have a different vacation spot, but you don't have to drive 5 hours to get there....yet, it feels different than your home.

venture said:

stickguy said:

The CrossTrek my daughter uses exclusively so it doesn't really enter the equation.

It's out of warranty and it's just her time. She isn't really very interested, but that's normal. Cars are just transportation to her. I would like her to have the safety features available with the Subaru Eyesight system.
    I get this too! You do save by keeping a car longer but I think about 5 or 6 years is the maximum sweet spot for keeping a car. By then there is new technology, more safety, more features, and there could be major repairs needed (I say could because chances are good there won't be, but there could be), and it hurts to put a few $1000 into an older car. Plus a warranty and reliability. The other factor is how much it affects your budget.....if you can do it might as well go for it.

Happy April you fools.

Thanks for reminding me.......haven't had anything pulled on me today, but I will be on guard.

btw.....have you heard about these prescription windshields Toyota is bringing out?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    No, but I did see their new Yaris pickup.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

venture said:

The hunt begins.

Looked at the Honda CR-V and HR-V. She didn't respond other than a few of her friends have CR-V's and have had problems with them. Didn't know what problems and very doubtful she will find out.

She seemed a little interested in the VW Tiguan, especially that you can get a third row seat (for the 3 times a year when it would be nice to have).

She asked if the Forester offers a third row seat so there still seems to be interest in Subaru. I told her if she decides on an Outback she should wait for the 2020's and the new platform.

All in all, the trip was underwhelming. About what I expected. More some other day. It was cold and snowing. Grrrrr.

Looks nice.
    https://youtu.be/x57W8uLuGJg

edited April 2019
    driver100 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

I get this too! You do save by keeping a car longer but I think about 5 or 6 years is the maximum sweet spot for keeping a car. By then there is new technology, more safety, more features, and there could be major repairs needed (I say could because chances are good there won't be, but there could be), and it hurts to put a few $1000 into an older car. Plus a warranty and reliability. The other factor is how much it affects your budget.....if you can do it might as well go for it.
    That sentiment (Cinderella/fella syndrome) might have been true for 1940’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s cars.(79 years to 40 years ago) 5/6 year marks have morfed into the BEST years to PURCHASE USED cars! Given the 11,000 miles to 14,000 miles yearly average US drivers, that’s a range of 55,000 miles to 84,000 miles.

The nearest I can figure, in a record setting year, NEW car sales are approximately 6% or less. (17 M to 17.5 M ) Used car sales are almost 2x greater.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    More Owners Clubs... Jeep and Toyota up. More makes to follow.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    sounds like my RDX. a 2013, bought 9/2012, so 6 MY old now and 6.5 years. 53,000 miles or so. Perfectly fine car but seems like an antique now. Getting close to the point (age/miles) that I would only keep it for 2nd car duty, not primary car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited April 2019
    So is that what you say when you are selling to a potential buyer, as you are offered $3k under your settlement price?
    stickguy said:

sounds like my RDX. a 2013, bought 9/2012, so 6 MY old now and 6.5 years. 53,000 miles or so. Perfectly fine car but seems like an antique now. Getting close to the point (age/miles) that I would only keep it for 2nd car duty, not primary car.

Like the C250....2014, which makes it 2013 to 2019, 6 years old, only 28000 miles on it. I love it, but it would be nice to have a built in back up camera, a GPS, more airbags, a few more safety features. And, some things wear out with age.........mileage is low, but years count too.

edited April 2019
    Duplicated.......not my fault.
    message came on about cloud connection being broken....try again so I did!

venture said:

The hunt begins.

She wouldn't care, but I have no interest in buying a Hyundai, or a Mazda either. Mainly because of my local dealer. We have owned both in the past.

driver100 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

I like her to get something new about every 3 years or so. When her battery went a couple of months ago...I almost let it go then.

She is also interested in that 3rd row seat now since she hauls some girls to gymnastics practice and meets occasionally. When she has to do that she borrows the son-in-laws Dodge somethingorother SUV.

It doesn't affect my budget.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Like the C250....2014, which makes it 2013 to 2019, 6 years old, only 28000 miles on it. I love it, but it would be nice to have a built in back up camera, a GPS, more airbags, a few more safety features. And, some things wear out with age.........mileage is low, but years count too.
    Yup, similar boat: '13 Jag XF purchased 12/31/2103. Love it, but still itching for new. I just don't want the XF to go away, but really can/should only have one car... Not yet 54k miles, but it still has decent tech (well, British tech) with backup camera, lane change assist, fine Meridian sound, bunch of airbags. And the single greatest invention in the history of this fine planet, heated steering wheel!

Although, I think there is now a second rattle, driver's door. But, I'll have to decrapify the storage compartment in the door to make sure it isn't an owner induced rattle!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I was out on the freeway the other day when my eye was caught by a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. I have to assume it was some kind of custom package, as I have never seen one that looked anything like this. And it was pretty, I admit. But the tires and wheels were just …. wrong. Really big wheels, like 24 or 26 inch, very shiny chrome, with red accents that matched the pin striping on the body. Very pretty, very sharp, but … wrong. Who in his right mind would put 26 inch wheels with rubber band tires on a Jeep?

Admittedly this would be just the thing to take out Saturday night to go “styling on the boulevard”, but a Jeep?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Were the wheels this big (only chrome)?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @oldfarmr50,
    Do you know anything about Schultz Ford/Lincoln? Not sure if they are in your area.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

I like her to get something new about every 3 years or so. When her battery went a couple of months ago...I almost let it go then.

She is also interested in that 3rd row seat now since she hauls some girls to gymnastics practice and meets occasionally. When she has to do that she borrows the son-in-laws Dodge somethingorother SUV.

A battery isn't too bad to get replaced....and, they do go after 5 or 6 years anyway. But, when repairs get into the $1000s I would probably rather plow that money into a newer car. I have seen people do a major repair thinking that is the end of the repairs, only to be followed by more of them. I'd rather take my loss early and bail out. Maybe it is because I am not a gambler. There is a theory - do people who like gambling keep repairing a broken down car hoping that every repair will be the last. Any psychiatrists want to weigh in? Maybe a good article for Edmunds.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518

@oldfarmr50,
    Do you know anything about Schultz Ford/Lincoln? Not sure if they are in your area.

down south of him in Rockland county. Right across the Tappan Zee bridge.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

Ha ha the new PT Cruiser! :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmr50,

Not familiar with them. A google search came up with two stores, one in far western NY, the other in western PA.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

ab348 said:

Or the new Subaru Brat!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @oldfarmer50,
    I come up with them on 17 halfway between Middletown and Binghamton.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

ab348 said:

Or the new Subaru Brat!

The new Dustbuster.
    driver100 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

A battery isn't too bad to get replaced....and, they do go after 5 or 6 years anyway. But, when repairs get into the $1000s I would probably rather plow that money into a newer car. I have seen people do a major repair thinking that is the end of the repairs, only to be followed by more of them. I'd rather take my loss early and bail out. Maybe it is because I am not a gambler. There is a theory - do people who like gambling keep repairing a broken down car hoping that every repair will be the last. Any psychiatrists want to weigh in? Maybe a good article for Edmunds.
    It, in my case anyway, has nothing to do with money. It has to do with dependability.

A few months ago we talked about the, seemingly, never ending methods of attempting to get gasoline out of a can.

I was at Home Depot today and ran across this contraption:

ab348 said:

Or the new Subaru Brat!
    Yes but the Brat has been ‘out’ so long that it’s back in. The PT won’t be cool until everyone who bought one new is in the ground.

edited April 2019

@oldfarmer50,

Google let me down.

We frequently deliver cars to the Manhien auction across the road from Stewart Airport near Newburg and to a company resale lot near Harrisburg. Wonder if they get cars from either. All their 2018 used cars are former rentals.

@oldfarmer50,

Google let me down.

We frequently deliver cars to the Manhien auction across the road from Stewart Airport near Newburg and to a company resale lot near Harrisburg. Wonder if they get cars from either. All their 2018 used cars are former rentals.
    Oldfarmer....how good are rentals as used cars? Sometimes they say to stay away from them because different people drive them, and who knows what you are getting or what they have done to the car. I bought one ex-rental car......a 1978 Pontiac Le Mans. Looked like this;

It ran well, never let me down, but must have been the slowest 6 cylinder car on the road.