Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    @ab348,
    Fenway park has a similar feature, but larger.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    1.5MM for a house in Ohio, do they think they are in the PNW or something?
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,
    You are rehabbing that house like you are going to live in it, not flip it.

You make a good point. When this flipping thing started, my Son had to create a company for tax purposes and to be able to buy from wholesalers. Since it has his name on it, he wants people to associate that name with a quality house for future business. I told him I don't plan to do this kind of stuff in the future. His response to that was, "after a small break with this house you'll want to do it again. This is what will keep you young". He's dead wrong, this flip house has convinced me that I belong in retirement. :@

jmonroe
    Maybe you need to be a 50% partner to keep you motivated
    Better yet, if I decide to become a snowbird in Florida this winter then decide to live there permanently, he'll forget all about me and look for a younger partner. ;)

jmonroe

I wouldn't recommend the Tampa/St Petes area....you probably like something more on the East coast. Just trying to be helpful ;)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

How cool is this feature?

Talk about open concept!
    Make your house into a bar, and it only costs $1.5 mill.
    I don't get that, do people sit there and talk and drink and look at the water all day?

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Always liked all the Tudor styled homes around Rocky River and Lakewood.
    BTW.....lots of heat in the East and Central USA with humidex temps over 100F
    Today we here in Canada are sending you a blast of cooler air which will drop the temperatures significantly over the next few days.
    To all those that complained last winter about the cold air that Canada sent you........You are very welcome! :(

Yeah, now it is going to cause big thunderstorms B)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    edited July 2019
    ab348 said:

Plumbing problems descend on me this weekend. My main shower which was new in early 2017 had a drip for a few days which I blamed on the showerhead retaining some water and then dripping it out. But then yesterday after I finished my shower I discovered that turning the water off didn't shut it off completely and there was still a trickle of hot water coming out. After some fiddling I found I could stop the flow by moving the handle from full off to the on position very slightly.

After my shower today I couldn't even do that and found that a good-sized trickle of hot water would come out no matter what I tried. Well, obviously can't have that. I went downstairs and traced the Pex lines that were installed in 2017. No shutoffs anywhere, dammit. So I turned off the house water at the meter to see what I could do with the shower.

It is a Moen Positemp valve and after some fiddling around I was able to expose it and tried to pull it out. Wouldn't budge. I was afraid I was going to break something inside the wall if I pulled any harder so I stopped. Moen suggests a cartridge removal tool which of course I do not have. But it may have been just as well since if I got it out and couldn't see anything obvious it may have leaked even worse when I tried reinstalling it, so I'm frozen for the moment. I get to call Moen tomorrow and they will send me a free replacement, and I'll try to convince them to include the removal tool too. But that will take a few days to get here so until then I'm using the downstairs bathroom and keeping the house water turned off most of the time. PITA.

If I had been able to get the old one out I was thinking I would just go to HD and buy a replacement cartridge, then return the one Moen sends me to them later in the week. But I discovered that none of the local home centers has the 1222 cartridge listed as available in-store. Bizarre.

Better than the time the water supply line to my toilet developed a pin hole leak and I only discovered it when water started dripping through the ceiling below or the time the water heater blew up on New Year’s morning sending a fountain across the basement.

Pictures are back.

Now I can finish my great joke about all the salt they use in Canada:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Isn't that one of those lakes that catches on fire now and then? B) I'd take the lake house over that mcmansion.

This is what 1.5MM gets you in this neck of the woods:

https://www.windermere.com/listing/WA/Bellevue/532-96th-Ave-NE-98004/97666543
    @fintail,
    Location looked not too bad, but house very small and kind of strange mix of old/new.
    Used to have a couple of the same of the over the vanity light.
    Light bulbs probably cost more than the fixture.
    Of course, the little postwar bungalow is of literal zero value other than maybe as a short term rental until permits and plans are made for the replacement. This won't be a parentally-aided flip, it will be replaced by something larger and potentially tacky or cliched, the mcmodern box and faux farmhouse are very trendy among those flush with cash around here.

@fintail,
    Location looked not too bad, but house very small and kind of strange mix of old/new.
    Used to have a couple of the same of the over the vanity light.
    Light bulbs probably cost more than the fixture.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922
    edited July 2019
    I think the heat may have taken out the Elantra’s battery.

It seemed a little slow to crank this morning and when I passed the wipers to clean the windshield they were s l o w.

By the time I got to the office they were back to normal speed. We put about 125 miles on it yesterday running some errands and then doing a couple wine tastings in Hammonton, NJ and it seemed fine. Outside temps were reading 103.

It wouldn’t surprise me. The 08 Elantra’s battery was dead in two years and IIRC the my replaced the ‘09 Genesis’s battery in the first year. I guess Hyundai uses crap batteries.

I’m hoping I’m wrong. Only 3 payments left on the lease and I would rather not drop $100 on it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    fintail said:

Isn't that one of those lakes that catches on fire now and then? B)

Nope that was the Cuyahoga river in Cleveland.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

tjc78 said:

I think the heat may have taken out the Elantra’s battery.

It seemed a little slow to crank this morning and when I passed the wipers to clean the windshield they were s l o w.

By the time I got to the office they were back to normal speed. We put about 125 miles on it yesterday running some errands and then doing a couple wine tastings in Hammonton, NJ and it seemed fine. Outside temps were reading 103.

It wouldn’t surprise me. The 08 Elantra’s battery was dead in two years and IIRC the my replaced the ‘09 Genesis’s battery in the first year. I guess Hyundai uses crap batteries.

I’m hoping I’m wrong. Only 3 payments left on the lease and I would rather not drop $100 on it.

I seem to remember getting 5 years, give or take, on the OEM batteries on our Hyundais.

That's what I would expect, just not what I've seen. I hope I'm wrong...like I said car goes back soon and I'd hate to put a battery in now.

Heat is a killer for batteries and other electronics.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    No issues on our sonata during the lease. Didn’t keep my Elantra long enough to even wear off the new car smell!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    berri said:

Heat is a killer for batteries and other electronics.

You are correct, berri. When I lived in Palm Desert CA, I used to go through a battery every 18-24 months. The average daytime heat in the Mojave Desert (Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, etc.) during the months of June through October is 105+ degrees and at night it stays in the 90’s. It hits 115+ degrees often.

My Mercedes Dealer told me it was the extreme heat. Luckily, they honored warranties.

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,560
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,

You make a good point. When this flipping thing started, my Son had to create a company for tax purposes and to be able to buy from wholesalers. Since it has his name on it, he wants people to associate that name with a quality house for future business. I told him I don't plan to do this kind of stuff in the future. His response to that was, "after a small break with this house you'll want to do it again. This is what will keep you young". He's dead wrong, this flip house has convinced me that I belong in retirement. :@

jmonroe
    Better yet, if I decide to become a snowbird in Florida this winter then decide to live there permanently, he'll forget all about me and look for a younger partner. ;)

jmonroe

I wouldn't recommend the Tampa/St Petes area....you probably like something more on the East coast. Just trying to be helpful ;)
    I guess you're trying to tell me the Gulf Coast ain't big enough for the two of us. That's fine with me because I'm familiar with the East Coast and if I move that is where I'll probably go. I'm pretty sure the East Coast is big enough for @abacomike and I. Sure would be a shame if Mike had to leave that area since he's been there so long.

FWIW, I have a cousin who moved to the Sarasota area a few years ago and has given me a standing offer to come for an extended stay to try out that area before committing to which coast I should move to, if and when I do decide to make the move. I think it's only fair to warn you not to come down if I take up my cousins offer. I'd hate to see you waste your airfare money that year. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,

jmonroe

jmonroe

I guess you're trying to tell me the Gulf Coast ain't big enough for the two of us. That's fine with me because I'm familiar with the East Coast and if I move that is where I'll probably go. I'm pretty sure the East Coast is big enough for @abacomike and I. Sure would be a shame if Mike had to leave that area since he's been there so long.

FWIW, I have a cousin who moved to the Sarasota area a few years ago and has given me a standing offer to come for an extended stay to try out that area before committing to which coast I should move to, if and when I do decide to make the move. I think it's only fair to warn you not to come down if I take up my cousins offer. I'd hate to see you waste your airfare money that year. :@

jmonroe
    The Gulf Coast and the East Coast both have their positive attributes and their negatives. If I had the financial resources to move from the Southeast Coast, I definitely would! It is just too congested here. I would prefer the East Central or Northeast Coast. My brother lives in an ideal location - Ponte Vedra which is about 20 miles north of St. Augustine and about 20 miles south of Jacksonville. The climate there (Ponte Vedra) is very different than the Southeast or Southwest coastal areas. It gets pretty cold up there during the winter. But summers are about the same as we get down here.

My daughter is now acclimating to the heat and humidity. She was used to 80's during the summer - now it's mid 90's every day with lows in the low to mid 80's. You get used to the heat and humidity - you go from your air-conditioned residence to your air-conditioned car to an air-conditioned grocery or food store and/or shopping mall.

Worst place to be during the summers is the Orlando area - hotter and more humid up there and traffic is a nighmare.

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    I visited Central Florida once in June and the heat was pretty bad. But I visited Williamsburg a couple of times, once also in June, and that Virginia steam heat was worse than Florida for me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Actually, if you go to Sarasota between Nov 1st and March 20 2020, let me know. I would love to bring the C250 over for a good waxing.
    No seriously, I would come down and we could get together....that would be fun!

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Actually, if you go to Sarasota between Nov 1st and March 20 2020, let me know. I would love to bring the C250 over for a good waxing.

Not for me. All of a sudden you've changed your tune. You're beginning to sound like a gun fighter who's lost his nerve. :D

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    jmonroe1 said:

fezo said:

So, I buy the 3. My youngest daughter, 17, has likely never seen me but a car in state. I bring it home and she says "You bought a car in New Jersey?" Totally baffled.

Today I get a $10 check in the mail from the dealership saying I overpaid the state fees. Cool.

Gee, this must be the third or fourth post from you in a week. What happened? Did Edmunds new system kidnap you or what?

FWIW, they're not nice guys. They have to refund over payments or they'd be fined by the state. I'll bet they didn't apologize for screwing you with their doc fee. :D

jmonroe
    I don't do doc fees. I figure out what an acceptable out the door price is and stick to it. I tell them they can juggle the numbers however they want, as long as the bottom line equals my offer.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    fezo said:

jmonroe1 said:

fezo said:

So, I buy the 3. My youngest daughter, 17, has likely never seen me but a car in state. I bring it home and she says "You bought a car in New Jersey?" Totally baffled.

Today I get a $10 check in the mail from the dealership saying I overpaid the state fees. Cool.

Gee, this must be the third or fourth post from you in a week. What happened? Did Edmunds new system kidnap you or what?

FWIW, they're not nice guys. They have to refund over payments or they'd be fined by the state. I'll bet they didn't apologize for screwing you with their doc fee. :D

jmonroe
    I don't do doc fees. I figure out what an acceptable out the door price is and stick to it. I tell them they can juggle the numbers however they want, as long as the bottom line equals my offer.
    Sounds like the ole fez we know. It seems we've taught you well in here. If you stick around I'm sure you'll learn even more. B)

jmonroe
    A couple of years ago, I saw some Burning River Surf Club tee shirts in a store.
    edited July 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe

Not for me. All of a sudden you've changed your tune. You're beginning to sound like a gun fighter who's lost his nerve. :D

jmonroe
    ....and I thought I would have got a free dinner out of it! But, then again, it wouldn't be worth the one hour drive, probably take me to a Taco Bell, and some excuse about forgetting to bring the wax! :@ (Car wax that is)

driver100 said:

How cool is this feature?

Talk about open concept!
    Make your house into a bar, and it only costs $1.5 mill.
    I don't get that, do people sit there and talk and drink and look at the water all day?
    I would assume that swatting flies would take up a good portion of your time.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Hmm... maybe I spoke too soon. Car was fine tonight. Car started fine and wipers normal speed.

Maybe battery just got a little drained with the heat yesterday.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Do you think we will ever see quirky or low profit autos like the Honda Element or a really small GM/Ford pickup or Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon again from mainstream companies? It seems that auto makers aren’t going to mfg anything that won’t sell in large numbers. Not to mention only limited exterior/interior colors. What’s out there now is not enough to get me in the showroom to spend my hard-earned cash.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    tjc78 said:

Hmm... maybe I spoke too soon. Car was fine tonight. Car started fine and wipers normal speed.

Or taking it out charged up the battery again, but, it could fail again. Maybe get it tested if you know have an honest garage. Or hope it keeps going until you take it in, but could cost more than $100 if it fails at an inconvenient time.

It still has roadside assistance with Hyundai. I’m riding it out, chances are it’s gone by end of Sept / Early Oct anyway.

Is that gone because of your Jersey neighborhood, or because you'll replace it before winter B)
    tjc78 said:

If your electric accessories were slow when the car was running it might be something other than your battery. Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn't equipment like wipers work off the alternator once the car is started?

My Ford dealer is at it again. This time they are offering a new 2019 Mustang GT for only $43 more a month than my current payment. This is the same 60 month loan with a below market 1.9% rate. I haven’t run the actual numbers yet but it sounds kind of tempting.

I’ve got 10 payments left on the 2015 and I’m sure they aren’t factoring that into their offer.

berri said:

Is that gone because of your Jersey neighborhood, or because you'll replace it before winter B)

Lol, the latter. Lease due back 11/6

@oldfarmer50
    Not quite sure, but no doubt it cranked slowly and the wipers were really slow until about 10 mins of driving.

It was fine tonight, driving in a thunderstorm with wipers, lights and AC running.

Actually, I always enjoyed visiting Jersey. There are lots of pretty areas, good food and contrary to stereotypes, I've met many nice people there.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,282
    berri said:

Actually, I always enjoyed visiting Jersey. There are lots of pretty areas, good food and contrary to stereotypes, I've met many nice people there.

+1

My godparents lived there, and I have fond memories of the area.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

berri said:

I like it here in Jersey (right outside Philly). I’m not sure I’d be happier anywhere else. I’ve been just about everywhere in the US, and home is my favorite despite the high cost of living.

thebean said:

Do you think we will ever see quirky or low profit autos like the Honda Element or a really small GM/Ford pickup or Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon again from mainstream companies? It seems that auto makers aren’t going to mfg anything that won’t sell in large numbers. Not to mention only limited exterior/interior colors. What’s out there now is not enough to get me in the showroom to spend my hard-earned cash.

I think you’re spot on. It’s been years since industry leaders Honda and Toyota abandoned cars like the MR2 or S2000. Now most brands are eliminating whole segments in favor of the most profitable lines.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,282
    tjc78 said:

berri said:

I like it here in Jersey (right outside Philly). I’m not sure I’d be happier anywhere else. I’ve been just about everywhere in the US, and home is my favorite despite the high cost of living.
    Yep, that's the part of the state I would frequent (Moorestown)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

tjc78 said:

If your electric accessories were slow when the car was running it might be something other than your battery. Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn't equipment like wipers work off the alternator once the car is started?
    No all your electrical components run off the battery, your alternator keeps the battery charged. That is so electronics get a consistent flow of power, not more when the car is moving.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    berri said:

Heck, I live in farm country. Pretty sure if you dropped almost anyone who isn't from here into my town, they'd never be able to guess its NJ (based on the stereotypes they've undoubtedly been exposed to their whole lives).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

berri said:

My only real experience of Jersey was boot camp. Definitely not the best first impression.

I was in Wayne NJ yesterday on the Hamburg Turnpike and it was a pretty nice area. Lakes, waterfalls and upscale housing. We all admired the area but speculated about how high the property taxes were.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    A few years ago NFL Films made a feature called "Jersey Guys" about the move of the NY Giants from NYC to the Meadowlands, It was really good but does not appear to be available online in total. This clip captures the essence of it:

https://youtu.be/sghO00kWgV4

A couple of quotes from it:

"There is nothing simple in New Jersey. Traffic's hard, to get to where you're going is hard – everything is hard." – Bill Parcells

"A Jersey guy would be opinionated, a little abrupt, definitely not too sensitive." – Bill Parcells

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

tjc78 said:

No all your electrical components run off the battery, your alternator keeps the battery charged. That is so electronics get a consistent flow of power, not more when the car is moving.
    But my point was that once the car was running his accessories should not run slowly due to the input of the alternator. I’ve driven many a clunker with a near dead battery and things worked fine when the car was running. Could a battery be so damaged that it would restrict power delivery through it?

My father had a 1954 Morris, and the wipers went slower when you went up a hill!

Here is a question for you. Our deck was put in about 4 years ago. This year it has a coating of junk on it and a bit of green algae I guess. The patio is getting some kind of coating on it too.

How do I get rid of the dirt coating? Do I get a pressure washer. How much is one that is good enough for something like this? Can I wash it down with bleach or something? Should I call the guy?