Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    ab348 said:

Funny thing today: I went to the home center to pick up a few 8' deck boards to replace some soft spots on my deck. I was able to fold down the rear sear in the ATS, recline the passenger seat and they fit in via the trunk opening quite easily. While I was there a guy with a high-zoot Ram showed up to do the same thing. His 8' boards were too long for his short cargo box by a couple of feet to he had to putz around with rope to hold them in place. Seems to defeat the purpose of having a pickup. Maybe the Chevy Avalanche was on to something after all.

I had to laugh at that post. I did the same thing with my lowly Cobalt a few weeks back to get a few boards to repair the deck. I had blankets to protect the cloth on the seats but just slide them in through the trunk and the boards fit. Closed the trunk completely.

Car smelled of the preservative treatment for a few days though.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I heard that Walmart is suing Tesla. Hmmmm.
    Turns out Tesla makes the solar panels on about 200 Walmart roofs. Seems there's been a problem
    with fires. No, not the Tesla car fires, this is the solar panels.

Walmart is suing for removal or something....

I recall an area Walmart having been cleared for a fire. I wonder if that was solar panels on the roof.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

Well this has been a discouraging day. I only have 393 LOL's. Other's have 1000? My feelings are hurt. My self esteem is low. Don't we even get participation trophies? LOL

Nothing goes right:
    I finally for the summer drag out the edger which is always hard to get started for the first time each season. It starts finally. I start doing edging and it keeps stalling. On the 4th stall, I pull to start it and the handle and rope come out of the recoil starter and are in my hand. Grrrrrrrrrr. I'm standing there with the rope in my hand but the edger is running. So I continue as it starts to rain, and it stalls again.

So I'm looking at videos on repairing. IT's really easy because the system comes apart with 2 screws on my Briggs Straton motor with a Sears label on it.

Finally get the replacement rope in. Then I find I didn't wind up the spring enough before putting the rope into the recoil part, so it doesn't pull the rope all the way back in.

Sounds like a bad day, Imid. I have days like that 4-5 times a week - so don’t feel too bad about the edger problem because many others in this world have lots of days like that. In other words - it could be worse! 🤪😜😗

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652

Turns out Tesla makes the solar panels on about 200 Walmart roofs. Seems there's been a problem

I recall an area Walmart having been cleared for a fire. I wonder if that was solar panels on the roof.

I didn’t know that solar panels could catch fire but I guess the wiring going to them could.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I didn’t know that solar panels could catch fire but I guess the wiring going to them could.
    Here's a link for Forbes, just so folks don't think I made it up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2019/08/20/walmart-sues-tesla-over-solar-panels-that-allegedly-caught-fire/#7a4c2ee035db

And a link to the fire on the roof, which turned out to be solar panels, at the Beavercreek Walmart, That's close to the WPAFB and museum. We go past it a few times each week to go to the ChickFilA we like.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/beavercreek-walmart-reported-fire/2bbIQsfcbIwva2oPxoCVGM/

Looks like no form of energy is totally safe.

https://youtu.be/Q5COAi6KM8o

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

Yo oldfarmer, that alternator is tucked underneath the valve cover gasket pretty good. Not much room . What.do you think of this idea... sounds crazy though. Those vented slots on the alternator are fairly accessible. What do you think of weaving a heavy yarn, shoelaces,...whatever, thru and around those slots at the top of alternator. When they become saturated with oil, just replace. So crazy....it...just....might....work. ;-)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    Q, sometimes Karma does work in your favor!

Imid, I felt bad for you so gave you another LOL. You are welcome.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    qbrozen said:

Awesomest thing on way home tonight. Had cruise set, very few cars on highway, and I passed a couple of cars who were in right lane. Drove past a jacked up pickup and for no apparent reason, he decided to get behind me and proceed to drive on my bumper. I just ignored it and kept my cruise set. Passed another couple of cars and moved back to right lane. He moved over still right on me. About a half mile later, a cop lights up behind him and pulls him over. Gotta love it!

Justice is served!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557
    tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

BTW, I didn't know you were promoted to a MOD status..

What? I'm still a nobody! I just knew where to look up the info

How did you go about finding my old info? I tried but couldn't do it. I know it's not a trick but when you know how it's easy.

jmonroe
    I just went back a year or so... found an old Jmonroe post and clicked on the user name.
    That's what I wanted to do but in can only back up about 5 pages at a time. It would take more time to do it that way than I care to spend so I just give up. I can't select a page, like say 2000, or I'd do it that way but I can't. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557

Here's a link for Forbes, just so folks don't think I made it up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2019/08/20/walmart-sues-tesla-over-solar-panels-that-allegedly-caught-fire/#7a4c2ee035db
    You don't have to prove it to me. Anything that produces or consumes power can catch on fire. There have been countless cases of cell phones combusting and the batteries in them are not mega voltage units. And how many kids toys and chargers go haywire at times? It happens everyday.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    qbrozen said:

Awesomest thing on way home tonight. Had cruise set, very few cars on highway, and I passed a couple of cars who were in right lane. Drove past a jacked up pickup and for no apparent reason, he decided to get behind me and proceed to drive on my bumper. I just ignored it and kept my cruise set. Passed another couple of cars and moved back to right lane. He moved over still right on me. About a half mile later, a cop lights up behind him and pulls him over. Gotta love it!

Sweet. It’s not often a cop shows up when you want him to. Karmic justice.

jipster said:

Yo oldfarmer, that alternator is tucked underneath the valve cover gasket pretty good. Not much room . What.do you think of this idea... sounds crazy though. Those vented slots on the alternator are fairly accessible. What do you think of weaving a heavy yarn, shoelaces,...whatever, thru and around those slots at the top of alternator. When they become saturated with oil, just replace. So crazy....it...just....might....work. ;-)
    Might work as long as the laces don’t interfere with the moving parts or restrict ventilation. Just make sure you replace them before they get saturated and leak through.

As a long time slap dash repairman I salute you.

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

How did you go about finding my old info? I tried but couldn't do it. I know it's not a trick but when you know how it's easy.

jmonroe
    I just went back a year or so... found an old Jmonroe post and clicked on the user name.
    That's what I wanted to do but in can only back up about 5 pages at a time. It would take more time to do it that way than I care to spend so I just give up. I can't select a page, like say 2000, or I'd do it that way but I can't. :@

jmonroe</

The page list goes back to post #1.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    qbrozen said:

I have a dream like that every night.
    Gotta love it!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Incompetence is no excuse ;)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I did a search and it made it less pages to jump back.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409

driver100 said:

They're really able to keep track of @driver100 with 3 Mercedes...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/9756250/mercedes-spies-drivers-tracking-devices/

"The secret sensors, fitted to all new and used motors sold by the firm’s dealers, pinpoint the vehicle’s exact location."

There's a lot more to the article about, supposedly, when the trackers are "activated."

It doesn't bother me one bit. I have no intention of 1) financing a Mercedes or 2) not paying for a car I buy. I reported about 2 months ago, that we were talking about getting a new sink, and Alexa must have picked that up as we started getting ads for new sinks. I don't care,,,,if they want to listen to my conversations they aren't going to find out much that is interesting.
    That occurred in GB. LOL. But it sounds like the ability is in all the vehicles. I recall several years back in the heat of the anti-GM era a few loud folks decided that OnStar's ability to locate the vehicle was a threat. There were rants and were stories about how to remove the GPS box from a GM vehicle...
    I remember back in the 1970's when some were concerned that those new fangled watches that used a tiny battery would give you cancer.
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    driver100 said:

Full circle, BMW copying Lexus.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Well the wife nixed the BMW the color was the deciding factor.

On the plus side there is a dealer right down the street with a 61 Plymouth Fury convertible for sale.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited August 2019

On the plus side there is a dealer right down the street with a 61 Plymouth Fury convertible for sale.

If it has the big block in it, I’d say go for the Fury!

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Get the Fury, then you can take all your friends out cruising.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    You could scare more little kids with that than with any new Lexus!

I suspect that is not cheap. Cool car nowadays.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

The one oldfarmer found looks a lot better.....that blue and black does nothing for it.
    $25700......and you're complaining about the upkeep on a BMW!

I wasn't the one complaining my wife was. I went in full knowing what the upkeep costs were.

I wasn't the one complaining my wife was. I went in full knowing what the upkeep costs were.

I still think the Cascadia would suit your wife with less upkeep. Blue is the color on that car, I saw a black one yesterday and it didn’t look as nice.

edited August 2019
    Blue was the color of the one who opened her door into my car. Don't get blue...it has been cursed :@

jipster said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

If you divided up the really long posts into 10 separate ones, you would have over 10000 posts by now.

@jmonroe1
    He got you there....

He didn't get me, Edmunds got me when I lost my seniority because I am now @jmonroe1. I have over 300 lol's as @jmonroe1 due to our newish system. If I got credit for the @jmonroe lol's I'm sure I'd be in a much higher lol bracket. Possbly on the same page as our bragging poster buddy.

Maybe one of our MOD's can verify this for me.

jmonroe
    I just thought the line about long posts into separate ones was pretty funny.

667 + 345 = 1012

Happy Now?

THANKS, I needed that.

See whadda I tell ya. BTW, I didn't know you were promoted to a MOD status.

Thanks again.

jmonroe
    Looks like "old" jmonroe was funnier. You past your prime! :o:'(
    I think the new JMonroe is actually funnier.....and shorter snappier answers.
    JMonroe1 has had 345 lol's in one year, the original took over 10 years to get 667 lols

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Just got back from the ophthalmologist - have to have cataracts taken care of in both eyes. I knew I was in trouble when my vision was changing over the years.

So I guess it will be done in September and October - one eye at a time several weeks apart. My brother had his taken care of last year and he says it sure improved his vision.

I just don’t seem to have much luck with my health - what can I say? 😩

2021 Genesis G90

Nice. When do you bring it home? Have you considered how hot a black on black combo will get?
    it's the wifes call and she is on the fence with it.
    Black on black doesn't do that car justice. And, a 128 is pretty small. Does she who you must obey really want a convertible? How about AWD for the winter? Maybe something larger to carry bikes and stuff? Just playing devils advocate.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    Better than the alternative

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

driver100 said:

Blue was the color of the one who opened her door into my car. Don't get blue...it has been cursed :@

Wait blue was the color of the one who opened her door into your car?

is this her?

abacomike said:

Just got back from the ophthalmologist - have to have cataracts taken care of in both eyes. I knew I was in trouble when my vision was changing over the years.

So I guess it will be done in September and October - one eye at a time several weeks apart. My brother had his taken care of last year and he says it sure improved his vision.

Most people see perfectly well with new lenses to repair cataracts. Not great news but it is something you can expect, and it is something they should be able to fix. Hope the rest goes smoothly.

edited August 2019

I still think the Cascadia would suit your wife with less upkeep. Blue is the color on that car, I saw a black one yesterday and it didn’t look as nice.
    You need to choose Cascadas carefully. Base models come only in white or blue with a black interior which you do not want in a convertible. The next step up is Premium trim and it gives you more paint choices and also a choice of black or cashmere inside, which is what you would want. Then there is the Sport Touring at the top of the range which only comes in 3 paint choices but at least lets you get the cashmere interior.

I think most of them come with 20" wheels BTW.

driver100 said:

Nice. When do you bring it home? Have you considered how hot a black on black combo will get?
    it's the wifes call and she is on the fence with it.
    Black on black doesn't do that car justice. And, a 128 is pretty small. Does she who you must obey really want a convertible? How about AWD for the winter? Maybe something larger to carry bikes and stuff? Just playing devils advocate.
    Yeah she really wants one. I would like to get a nice SUV for her and an inexpensive run about for me. My daily drive now is pretty much commuting to and from work and running short errands so I dont need anything spectacular.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    Just doesn't have the same ring to it:

Hop in my Plymouth, it's as big as a whale
    And it's about to set sail
    I got me a car, it seats about twenty, so come on
    And bring your jukebox money

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    abacomike said:

My Mom has both eyes done two or three years ago. The difference in her vision was night and day. Recovery wasn’t bad.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Wasn’t there an Inconsiderate Drivers II forum somewhere on the General forum listing? I enjoyed reading about all the clueless rearends driving around, but it doesn’t seem to be here. Maybe I’m missing it, or I’m the clueless one. 🙂
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    abacomike said:

The joys of age. Ain’t they great?

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    This is one of those age related things that will actually improve your life immensely. Night and day difference for me! First time not wearing glasses since I was 6 years old.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    abacomike said:

Mike, just remember that you're on the right side of the daisies. So long as they don't impair your ability to drive - we'd sure miss all your buying and test driving stories.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

driver100 said:

Wait blue was the color of the one who opened her door into your car?

is this her?

I think this is who hit driver’s car:

But she seemed to be concerned for driver’s feelings.

Hey, she was the one that was blue.....not me! That is someone else.

Maybe a compromise:

edited August 2019
    Get the Abarth version of one of those little Fiats and you might be on to something. Or on something, not sure. :laughing:

driver100 said:

Maybe a compromise:

Maybe when I'm old and senile.