Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

Heads up might have a 4 series in the driveway soon. Test drove one and the wife is in love.

Check how it is optioned here.

The N20 four isn't all that quick in a 4 Series, but it returns decent fuel economy. My NCM had a 440i GC I drove quite a bit and it was a blast. It was an M Sport with a Dinan tune and exhaust. I might have bought it from him if it hadn't been black over black.
    They printed out the option list and it's pretty optioned out, stickers for a few hundred under $60K.

I am busy today as my niece is getting married. More details tomorrow.

Here’s one for you cheaper.

https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/list/buy-a-car/vehicle/WBA4Z1C55JEC70107/Used-2018-BMW-4-Series-Augusta-GA
    Probably one I checked in when I worked at the dealer; we moved quite a few 4ers to Enterprise.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Found these babies forgotten in the very back corner of the garage where they have rested for the last 22 years! They came on my beater ‘78 Delta 88 that I bought when I first moved here and almost immediately replaced with a proper set of correct Olds wheel covers. Think I’ll try selling them on Kijiji ( Canadian version of Craigslist) just for laffs.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    Fun football night in a small town. It was perfect weather and a energetic crowd. Unfortunately my daughter's team lost by 6.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    edited September 2019
    A nice view from the 9th floor of the building
    where I work.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Long road trip, home now though. Drove my mom, who likes something that sits higher (now that she's in her 70s, she's in prime crossover demographic I guess), but this was a little higher than she expected. Nice for the trip though, and better to subject a rental to gravel roads, muddy driveways, and dirty rainy roads than my car.

Why are you in a rental, @fintail?

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671

Heads up might have a 4 series in the driveway soon. Test drove one and the wife is in love.

The N20 four isn't all that quick in a 4 Series, but it returns decent fuel economy. My NCM had a 440i GC I drove quite a bit and it was a blast. It was an M Sport with a Dinan tune and exhaust. I might have bought it from him if it hadn't been black over black.
    They printed out the option list and it's pretty optioned out, stickers for a few hundred under $60K.

https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/list/buy-a-car/vehicle/WBA4Z1C55JEC70107/Used-2018-BMW-4-Series-Augusta-GA
    Probably one I checked in when I worked at the dealer; we moved quite a few 4ers to Enterprise.
    We buy a lot of X3s in my area.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    edited September 2019

qbrozen said:

sb55 said:

nyccarguy said:

@olodfarmer50 - Nope. It is a personal vehicle. I use it for commuting purposes. Not a write off at all. Commercial insurance is very expensive and then I couldn't drive it on the "parkways," and only on the Interstate & designated truck routes.

@snakeweasel - Correct. I should have.

Oh yes, those Parkways are a killer in your area. I ran the chance of a ticket taking a cargo van on one when we delivered a bunch to FedEx in White Plains. I had no choice as my GPS wouldn’t give me any other route.
    For those who know the area, parkways in CT and NY are cars only. I have a friend from Georgia who got on the Merritt Parkway towing their Airstream camper. They got on at 287 in NY and didn't get pulled over by police until Fairfield, CT! Lucky that they didn't hit a bridge and only got a ticket!
    What does a ticket foe that run? So are there signs stating no trailers? I have never noticed.

I know there are signs that say no commercial vehicles.
    Yeah, but a person from Georgia doesn't consider a camper to be a "commercial vehicle" When I lived in NY, I think that all pick up trucks were registered as commercial. I don't know if that's still the case. I did drive my pick up from VT to Brooklyn, NY when my daughter moved apartments. I drove down the Taconic Pky, to the Sprain Pky to the Triboro Bridge to the BQE. No tickets for me that trip.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @sb55,
    In CT pickups under 8500 GVW can be registered as Passenger or Commercial.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    My BIL is a surveyor on LI (has his own small firm) and registers his work truck as a personal vehicle so he can drive on the restricted roads.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sb55 said:

qbrozen said:

sb55 said:

nyccarguy said:

@olodfarmer50 - Nope. It is a personal vehicle. I use it for commuting purposes. Not a write off at all. Commercial insurance is very expensive and then I couldn't drive it on the "parkways," and only on the Interstate & designated truck routes.

Oh yes, those Parkways are a killer in your area. I ran the chance of a ticket taking a cargo van on one when we delivered a bunch to FedEx in White Plains. I had no choice as my GPS wouldn’t give me any other route.
    For those who know the area, parkways in CT and NY are cars only. I have a friend from Georgia who got on the Merritt Parkway towing their Airstream camper. They got on at 287 in NY and didn't get pulled over by police until Fairfield, CT! Lucky that they didn't hit a bridge and only got a ticket!
    What does a ticket foe that run? So are there signs stating no trailers? I have never noticed.

I know there are signs that say no commercial vehicles.
    Yeah, but a person from Georgia doesn't consider a camper to be a "commercial vehicle" When I lived in NY, I think that all pick up trucks were registered as commercial. I don't know if that's still the case. I did drive my pick up from VT to Brooklyn, NY when my daughter moved apartments. I drove down the Taconic Pky, to the Sprain Pky to the Triboro Bridge to the BQE. No tickets for me that trip.
    When you register a pick up or cargo van in NY you can choose between commercial or passenger. I don’t know about the NYC parkways but on the Taconic I understand you can take a commercial vehicle to the nearest next exit. I don’t know how they determine where you got on so maybe that’s an urban myth.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    edited September 2019

nyccarguy said:

For those of you who don't tune into CCBA, I leased a 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport. Took delivery on Tuesday. I'm selling my Infiniti to Carvana.

Nice. Don't you mean "toyota tacoma" :D
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

Put in zip 30830 which is an Augusta zip code.

Thanks imid....very helpful.
    Best 4 1/2 years of driving are gone for a car that is a around 50% off. Might work if you do less than 5k miles a year!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    driver100 said:

Best 4 1/2 years of driving are gone for a car that is a around 50% off. Might work if you do less than 5k miles a year!

That particular car might be a lease return (yep, big-E leases too). Most rental cars are retired by the mid 40s. Upscale like BMW or Mercedes likely earlier than that.

Then again, who knows what they do in Georgia.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    sda said:

Fun football night in a small town. It was perfect weather and a energetic crowd. Unfortunately my daughter's team lost by 6.

What position does she play?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434

sb55 said:

nyccarguy said:

That must happen a lot because two weeks after I took the cargo van on the Hutchinson River Parkway a tractor trailer ran into one of those 12’ stone arch bridges.
    You drove right past my house. When a truck hits that overpass, traffic becomes not fun!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    sda said:

A nice view from the 9th floor of the building
    where I work.

That’s a nice view. You must be high up in the chain of command to rate such an office. ;)

• Options
    I wouldn't get any work done....I would be looking out my window all day.

• Options
    Is this a new trend?

I was looking online at a dealer’s website browsing cars and they all said “call for price”. Looking further there was a request for name, phone and email before I could access their full inventory so they could make sure that I wasn’t “a rival dealer spying on us”.

I’ve seen dealers that won’t give prices online but that’s kind of paranoid. Anybody else seen this before?

• Options

driver100 said:

That particular car might be a lease return (yep, big-E leases too). Most rental cars are retired by the mid 40s. Upscale like BMW or Mercedes likely earlier than that.

Then again, who knows what they do in Georgia.
    Many years ago we bought a pre-rental car from Avis I believe...it was a Pontiac. It made an excellent second car which was only used to go a few miles a day. Fairly low mileage, good discount....in the right situation they might be a good buy.

I am thinking my car sits in the garage for 6 months, depreciated $11000 a year, + insurance, + fixing gas covers etc. I might be better off selling my car and using Uber.

• Options

Is this a new trend?

I was looking online at a dealer’s website browsing cars and they all said “call for price”. Looking further there was a request for name, phone and email before I could access their full inventory so they could make sure that I wasn’t “a rival dealer spying on us”.

I’ve seen dealers that won’t give prices online but that’s kind of paranoid. Anybody else seen this before?

They have a much better chance of selling you a car if they get all that information up front. I would guess they waste a lot of time with tire kickers too, who look all over the place to get a few dollars lower price.

Helps to screen out the serious from the lookers and dreamers.
    I am off to tennis now....Be back this afternoon if you have any more queries.

• Options
    driver100 said:

Is this a new trend?

They have a much better chance of selling you a car if they get all that information up front. I would guess they waste a lot of time with tire kickers too, who look all over the place to get a few dollars lower price.

That makes sense for on lot looking loos but requiring extensive info before you can even look at the inventory? I can see playing games with giving out prices so as to get you to call or “come on down” but what would you come on down for if you don’t even know what’s there?

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

So someone talks about the "out left lane camping a left lane camper method." You know, where you teach them a lesson with their own medicine. You get in front, slow down 20 below what they were driving, forcing them to move right (where they should have been all along), and then you gun the gas as soon as they do so. Rinse and repeat if necessary if they get back in the left lane while passing no one.

At the risk of stirring up another LLC debate in here, what do you all think of this argument:

Former Cop to the guy teaching LLC's a lesson : "So you are committing vehicle code violations to force other people to obey the vehicle code? Does this make sense to you?"

@andres3 to the former Cop : "Isn't that what you did every day when you catch up to a speeder and ticket them? Or please do tell how you catch up to a speeder without speeding. I’m dying to know! LOL! The hypocrisy is so thick I’m just stuck."

Former Cop: "cops are exempted from certain vehicle codes while in pursuit."

Me: So those that make and enforce laws have an interest in maintaining the Monopoly to enforce those laws? Cite him for impersonating an Officer then, but don't criticize the methods since they are exactly the same as your own!"

Who's more right?

More right? Eh. I just think the former cop is making the wrong argument. It isn’t a matter of HOW a non-officer is attempting to enforce the law, it is that they should not be doing it at all. Maybe the LLC is taking it upon him/herself to enforce the speed limit. So I’d rather nobody on the road who is not an officer try to enforce traffic rules.
    Exactly agree! The cop was wrong for criticizing their own exact methods when someone was duplicating them exactly. The height of hypocrisy. Yes, Officer's break the law in order to enforce the law. Yes, we give them exemptions, but those exemptions are a fantasy in reality. They only exist on paper. There is no "super human" special powers instilled in the Police.

@snakeweasel gave a few reasons why we might exempt Police Officer's from following the laws as written. However, those are all ASSUMPTIONS.

He assumes the civilian isn't a former cop (formerly trained too). He assumes the training provided to the Officer was any good. I'd argue law enforcement receives horrible training, hence their horrible performance helping to cause double the fatality rates in the USA (per mile driven) compared to Germany in some years. I don't think all cops are bad, but I am certain the bad performance overall is traced to bad training to begin with.

He assumes the cop is trained to drive better (the CHP Officer that didn't even think to put it in neutral in the Lexus with "runaway" acceleration suggests otherwise). He assumes the civilian doesn't have advanced driver training. As far as vehicles go, I'm not sure that makes much of a difference. The LLC doesn't usually get out of the way for flashing lights, although blue and red flashing lights might work better than flashing headlights.

Being a former or off duty officer makes no difference as the "teaching" makes the situation far more worse than just passing the LLCer and leaving them alone. An officer pulling over someone gets them off the road.

How in the world is police training responsible for the highway fatality rate?

Anyway whatever makes you sleep at night.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

when people on the road start playing "the law" it often has bad consequences. Just go around and ignore them. Because it is highly unlikely they are going to have some sort of epiphany. Road rage maybe though. Or ending up in an accident.

I did tell the guy doing the "vigilante road justice" that he should be prepared for wild, raging reactions, unpredictable crazy behavior, and for retaliation of all sorts.

Being given a dose of their own medicine often triggers passive-aggressive drivers into aggressive racers.

However, I disagree that he's necessarily making the situation worse. A rolling road block blocking 2 lanes is more hazardous than having the "fast/passing" lane be on the right. If every faster car is allowed to pass on the right thanks to his actions, it's preferable to gridlock and congestion from the rolling road block. After all, most collisions happen at slow speeds, such as those on the freeway with everyone poking along.
    You do realize that "vigilante road justice" is wild, raging reactions, unpredictable crazy behavior, and retaliation, don't you?

• Options
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

So someone talks about the "out left lane camping a left lane camper method." You know, where you teach them a lesson with their own medicine. You get in front, slow down 20 below what they were driving, forcing them to move right (where they should have been all along), and then you gun the gas as soon as they do so. Rinse and repeat if necessary if they get back in the left lane while passing no one.

At the risk of stirring up another LLC debate in here, what do you all think of this argument:

Former Cop to the guy teaching LLC's a lesson : "So you are committing vehicle code violations to force other people to obey the vehicle code? Does this make sense to you?"

@andres3 to the former Cop : "Isn't that what you did every day when you catch up to a speeder and ticket them? Or please do tell how you catch up to a speeder without speeding. I’m dying to know! LOL! The hypocrisy is so thick I’m just stuck."

Me: So those that make and enforce laws have an interest in maintaining the Monopoly to enforce those laws? Cite him for impersonating an Officer then, but don't criticize the methods since they are exactly the same as your own!"

Who's more right?

The former cop is more right by a wide margin. The officer is empowered to enforce the law, has the proper training and the proper equipment (i.e. police vehicle with emergency lights). The person "teaching" the so called lesson has none of those, is driving aggressively and is a hazard on the road. I would think that the person "teaching the lesson" becomes a greater road hazard than the LLC as the former is unpredictable while latter is predictable.

I'd also argue the LLC is not predictable. They are clearly an identified bad driver hazard, but who knows what they'll do. They become especially unpredictable after being given a dose of their own medicine. Meanwhile, the guy that did this is suggesting he follows a strict set of guidelines, procedures, and follows them predictably.

Then of course, there is the release of pressure on the bottleneck the LLC is causing by more easily allowing faster traffic to pass, although, not preferably, on the right. Bottlenecks ARE HAZARDOUS. Rear-End collisions don't always end in only property damage.

You can argue it but you would be wrong, someone driving at a constant speed on the highway with no lane changes is as predictable as the sun rising sometime tomorrow morning.

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Now car thieves can steal your keyless start car by using a booster to trick your key into sending the signal to them,. While you are asleep in your house, they can drive away in your keyless starting car.
    https://youtu.be/bR8RrmEizVg

Just give me a standard key fob and key for my car. Thank you.
    You haven't lived until you have had a keyless key. No more forgetting, and then getting into your car and having to stretch and lean over to try and extract a key from your pocket....along with all the other stuff, Kleenex, mints, pocket knife, dog treats......etc.
    Sine I usually lock my doors I have my keys in my hand when I get in the car, no messing around after I get in.

Also a life hint, if you don't have dog treats in your pockets dogs wont chase you down the street and you wouldn't have to dig so fast in your pockets to get your keys out so you can jump in your car quickly to escape the pack of dogs chasing you.

• Options
    andres3 said:

I read a couple of articles about the new Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Pack. While I still think a Mustang sans V8 is a crime against nature, I went to Ford.com and configured one with the same level of equipment as my 2er(leather, navigation, heated seats/wheel, audio upgrade, etc.). Care to guess the MSRP?
    Over $45k. Wow. I sure don't see the market for that car at that price point.

Has one of the American fan-boys chimed in yet that the MSRP doesn't mean anything with American cars? You are supposed to get at least $10K off from rebates and discounts so don't pay any attention to the MSRP :worried:
    Not a fan boy here but MSRP is meaningless for anything and everything. Asking price is meaningless what you can actually get is everything.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    andres3 said:

LLC--at speed limit or above

Most here are those that go the speed limit in the left lane in medium or lighter traffic. If the traffic is heavy enough all lanes are used, as they should be used for cars, they don't bear any responsibility to clear the way for the LLD to have "their" lane free.

I think it's ridiculous in the typical traffic I see here on 2 lane and 3 lane interstates for the LLD folks to try to force someone to get out of "their" lane so they can speed on through without themselves changing lanes. In some cases for the LLC to change lanes in between fairly spaced vehicles is a maneuver that is with risk of overlooking another vehicle.

Since the LLD'er thinks they are a superior driver and can run at a higher speed further above the speed limit, they should make the lane changes since they feel they can safely do it. Go around then speed on their merry way.

I was thinking about this on a 3 lane interstate on the way to pick up something this morning. I noticed a person who had bought a premium vehicle which I suspect they feel entitles them as a better than average driver. Traffic was between light and medium w/ trucks spaced. This person was in the left lane, then the middle, then the right lane. He/she ended up blocked behind a vehicle in the right lane ahead of a major ramp to another interstate.

The out-of-stater with vanity plates something about Penn 2 ended up back in the left lane speeding on their merry way. Poetic justice is that ahead 2 miles is a high risk area for a state patrol car to be watching because of its being a high accident area.
    Another ironic factor is that sometimes locals like myself may stay in the left lane because up ahead is a high enforcement location. Our OSP has stated using left lane speed enforcement from the breakdown lane along the Jersey wall I think they're called. Nothing like coming over a slight grade change and being able to see the OSP officer standing next to his door with his laser sighted at traffic in all 4 lanes.

During the Labor Day weekend lots of out-of-staters who obviously know how to drive better at speeds above 65 in their own minds found themselves meeting up with our OSP welcoming committees. Sometimes more than one officer shows up and that's a sign there's a problem with the vehicle or people in the stop and there's going to be a search or arrest.

Best laugh I had was the two-fer where the OSP is situated left or right of the traffic. Speeds ramp right back up as drivers pass the stationary officer, and a mile ahead was the second officer with his laser gun. The SUV driver that the officer started after, just pulled over the right lane and slowed waiting for the officer to pull his to the berm. LOL

We've had lots of speed problems with a 3-lane stretch that is 65 and not 70 as on rural areas of I-70 here. I guess some of the out-of-staters think the road sign saying I70 is the speed limit and up to 80 is okay.

I don't know about your State, but in CA the first sentence of the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" vehicle code (in reference to the signage all over the State says "Notwithstanding the Prima Facie Speed Limit...."

In other words, they wanted to inform the idiot drivers out there that the speed limit is as relevant to the Left Lane Camping law as rape is to the speed limit or left lane is passing lane laws.

In essence, not relevant at all, and a terrible argument to be breaking the law.
    I would love to see how Andres3 might handle getting a speeding ticket from the OSP in Ohio... LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    How times change:

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    yup.

your trees got bigger.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Does the van get much use? I see that you changed it for a new version of something very similar but I don't recall you mentioning it very much.

Replacing the Eclipse with the Mustang is an upgrade, and the Soul is very different but a much better vehicle than the old FWD Caddy. Corvette vs Sebring, you tell me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

Does the van get much use? I see that you changed it for a new version of something very similar but I don't recall you mentioning it very much.

Replacing the Eclipse with the Mustang is an upgrade, and the Soul is very different but a much better vehicle than the old FWD Caddy. Corvette vs Sebring, you tell me.

The vans were always farm vehicles, going to market vehicles, hauling junk to the dump vehicles. The white one was 16 years newer and you couldn’t see the view through the side wall. :s

I loved the Eclipse and if it had an extra hundred hp I’d still own it.

The Soul is an ugly little practical car which replaced the PT Cruiser (which is now the kid’s car like the Caddy was).

Corvette or Sebring....if the Corvette was a 2000 MY like the Sebring there would be no comparison. But being a miled up 1984 version which was becoming a money pit, the decision was easy. The money I got for the Corvette went to buy my Lincoln Mark VIII and the money I got for that bought the Sebring so I guess I’m still spending the original toy money.

• Options
    andres3 said:

Most here are those that go the speed limit in the left lane in medium or lighter traffic. If the traffic is heavy enough all lanes are used, as they should be used for cars, they don't bear any responsibility to clear the way for the LLD to have "their" lane free.

I think it's ridiculous in the typical traffic I see here on 2 lane and 3 lane interstates for the LLD folks to try to force someone to get out of "their" lane so they can speed on through without themselves changing lanes. In some cases for the LLC to change lanes in between fairly spaced vehicles is a maneuver that is with risk of overlooking another vehicle.

Since the LLD'er thinks they are a superior driver and can run at a higher speed further above the speed limit, they should make the lane changes since they feel they can safely do it. Go around then speed on their merry way.

I was thinking about this on a 3 lane interstate on the way to pick up something this morning. I noticed a person who had bought a premium vehicle which I suspect they feel entitles them as a better than average driver. Traffic was between light and medium w/ trucks spaced. This person was in the left lane, then the middle, then the right lane. He/she ended up blocked behind a vehicle in the right lane ahead of a major ramp to another interstate.

The out-of-stater with vanity plates something about Penn 2 ended up back in the left lane speeding on their merry way. Poetic justice is that ahead 2 miles is a high risk area for a state patrol car to be watching because of its being a high accident area.
    Another ironic factor is that sometimes locals like myself may stay in the left lane because up ahead is a high enforcement location. Our OSP has stated using left lane speed enforcement from the breakdown lane along the Jersey wall I think they're called. Nothing like coming over a slight grade change and being able to see the OSP officer standing next to his door with his laser sighted at traffic in all 4 lanes.

During the Labor Day weekend lots of out-of-staters who obviously know how to drive better at speeds above 65 in their own minds found themselves meeting up with our OSP welcoming committees. Sometimes more than one officer shows up and that's a sign there's a problem with the vehicle or people in the stop and there's going to be a search or arrest.

Best laugh I had was the two-fer where the OSP is situated left or right of the traffic. Speeds ramp right back up as drivers pass the stationary officer, and a mile ahead was the second officer with his laser gun. The SUV driver that the officer started after, just pulled over the right lane and slowed waiting for the officer to pull his to the berm. LOL

We've had lots of speed problems with a 3-lane stretch that is 65 and not 70 as on rural areas of I-70 here. I guess some of the out-of-staters think the road sign saying I70 is the speed limit and up to 80 is okay.

I don't know about your State, but in CA the first sentence of the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" vehicle code (in reference to the signage all over the State says "Notwithstanding the Prima Facie Speed Limit...."

In other words, they wanted to inform the idiot drivers out there that the speed limit is as relevant to the Left Lane Camping law as rape is to the speed limit or left lane is passing lane laws.

In essence, not relevant at all, and a terrible argument to be breaking the law.
    If you read the whole thing it states "any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic". Basically it is part of the uniform vehicle code and means that as long you are going at least the flow of traffic you can be in the left lane. Most states follow this with many modifying it to require yielding to faster traffic (I do believe California is not one of them). It's a minority of states that have keep right except to pass (my state of Illinois has been that way since 2004).

So in California if they are doing at least the flow of traffic they legally can be in the left lane, even if they are blocking someone who wants to go faster.

• Options
    stickguy said:

yup.

your trees got bigger.

New layer of gravel.

• Options

Actually is just over a grand more expensive. While being newer it also has 25k more miles on it. Now mind you when I said stickers at I ment the original MSRP.

• Options

driver100 said:

Is this a new trend?

That makes sense for on lot looking loos but requiring extensive info before you can even look at the inventory? I can see playing games with giving out prices so as to get you to call or “come on down” but what would you come on down for if you don’t even know what’s there?
    I see what you mean, I agree, having to submit info before seeing the inventory defeats the purpose. I can see them asking if you showed any interest.
    In one sales course I took they said if you are selling real estate it is better to leave out the price. That way, if someone is at all interested they will want to know the price, and will call for more information. I am not so sure. In most cases, I would ignore an ad without a price. I also don't like it when restaurants don't post their pricing or what they serve...I am more likely to try it if I have an idea what I am getting.

• Options

andres3 said:

I read a couple of articles about the new Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Pack. While I still think a Mustang sans V8 is a crime against nature, I went to Ford.com and configured one with the same level of equipment as my 2er(leather, navigation, heated seats/wheel, audio upgrade, etc.). Care to guess the MSRP?

Has one of the American fan-boys chimed in yet that the MSRP doesn't mean anything with American cars? You are supposed to get at least $10K off from rebates and discounts so don't pay any attention to the MSRP :worried:
    Not a fan boy here but MSRP is meaningless for anything and everything. Asking price is meaningless what you can actually get is everything.
    I saw two ads one after the other today. One was Ford, employee pricing until September 30. That makes me think, what if I paid more on August 31st...I would be really upset at myself. And if they give employee pricing, do employees get an even better price during the sale?

Second ad was for JEEPs. 15% off! That is pretty good since all I can get is 3.5% off. On a $40000 JEEP, that is $6000 off, very impressive. In this case, MSRP must be fake.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

Who's more right?

The former cop is more right by a wide margin. The officer is empowered to enforce the law, has the proper training and the proper equipment (i.e. police vehicle with emergency lights). The person "teaching" the so called lesson has none of those, is driving aggressively and is a hazard on the road. I would think that the person "teaching the lesson" becomes a greater road hazard than the LLC as the former is unpredictable while latter is predictable.

I'd also argue the LLC is not predictable. They are clearly an identified bad driver hazard, but who knows what they'll do. They become especially unpredictable after being given a dose of their own medicine. Meanwhile, the guy that did this is suggesting he follows a strict set of guidelines, procedures, and follows them predictably.

Then of course, there is the release of pressure on the bottleneck the LLC is causing by more easily allowing faster traffic to pass, although, not preferably, on the right. Bottlenecks ARE HAZARDOUS. Rear-End collisions don't always end in only property damage.

You can argue it but you would be wrong, someone driving at a constant speed on the highway with no lane changes is as predictable as the sun rising sometime tomorrow morning.
    Constant speed???? LOL! ROFL! You must be living in fantasy land. A 2% grade usually slows them down 10% as they forget to hit the "GO" pedal. All kinds of things make them far from "constant" speed.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

when people on the road start playing "the law" it often has bad consequences. Just go around and ignore them. Because it is highly unlikely they are going to have some sort of epiphany. Road rage maybe though. Or ending up in an accident.

I did tell the guy doing the "vigilante road justice" that he should be prepared for wild, raging reactions, unpredictable crazy behavior, and for retaliation of all sorts.

Being given a dose of their own medicine often triggers passive-aggressive drivers into aggressive racers.

However, I disagree that he's necessarily making the situation worse. A rolling road block blocking 2 lanes is more hazardous than having the "fast/passing" lane be on the right. If every faster car is allowed to pass on the right thanks to his actions, it's preferable to gridlock and congestion from the rolling road block. After all, most collisions happen at slow speeds, such as those on the freeway with everyone poking along.
    You do realize that "vigilante road justice" is wild, raging reactions, unpredictable crazy behavior, and retaliation, don't you?
    NOT if the road warrior is following a step by step plan to the letter. Get in front.... slow them down gradually to as much as 20 below.... wait till they exit the lane they should have never been in, proceed to accelerate on your merry way. Going by the "book" as they say, you just don't like this particular instruction manual/book.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

andres3 said:

I would love to see how Andres3 might handle getting a speeding ticket from the OSP in Ohio... LOL
    Sounds like I need to FLY into Ohio, and take an UBER/LYFT to the OSP headquarters, to give them an educational seminar on how it should be done.
  • Options

andres3 said:

I don't find it meaningless. Sure you can spend time over-researching and learning what the real market value is, but that costs time. It's better for the consumer if the MSRP is in the "ballpark" to lessen the amount of research time required. A realistic MSRP garners a bit of trust.
  • Options

andres3 said:

If you read the whole thing it states "any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic". Basically it is part of the uniform vehicle code and means that as long you are going at least the flow of traffic you can be in the left lane. Most states follow this with many modifying it to require yielding to faster traffic (I do believe California is not one of them). It's a minority of states that have keep right except to pass (my state of Illinois has been that way since 2004).

So in California if they are doing at least the flow of traffic they legally can be in the left lane, even if they are blocking someone who wants to go faster.
    That's a 100% incorrect interpretation that goes directly against what is written in the Vehicle Code. First, there are many vehicle codes that cover driving right, passing left in CA. There's a multitude of them. You need not cherry pick one sentence from one to try and make a supremely weak argument.

The "normal" speed of traffic could be as little as one other car. If that car is faster, it makes you, by definition slower, and therefore, immediately illegally driving in the left/passing lane (if that's where you are). This is why the signage says "Slower Traffic Keep Right." Simple, clear, concise, and means exactly what it states. This is why, although it is technically legal, it is very bad practice to linger in the passing lane while not passing anyone, even when you are all by yourself. Many vehicle codes suggest and persuade drivers to keep right except to pass, to generally drive in the right-most lane unless you have a valid reason to be in the left lane (very few exclusions or exceptions exist). Often, I see cars make traffic impeding violations because they are lingering, and fail to notice that they are below the speed of other traffic in time to avoid impeding traffic, even when they do move right.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

Sounds like I need to FLY into Ohio, and take an UBER/LYFT to the OSP headquarters, to give them an educational seminar on how it should be done.
    I have seem videos of people trying to educate police officers, never ends well for those trying to do the education.

• Options
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

That's a 100% incorrect interpretation that goes directly against what is written in the Vehicle Code. First, there are many vehicle codes that cover driving right, passing left in CA. There's a multitude of them. You need not cherry pick one sentence from one to try and make a supremely weak argument.

The "normal" speed of traffic could be as little as one other car. If that car is faster, it makes you, by definition slower, and therefore, immediately illegally driving in the left/passing lane (if that's where you are). This is why the signage says "Slower Traffic Keep Right." Simple, clear, concise, and means exactly what it states. This is why, although it is technically legal, it is very bad practice to linger in the passing lane while not passing anyone, even when you are all by yourself. Many vehicle codes suggest and persuade drivers to keep right except to pass, to generally drive in the right-most lane unless you have a valid reason to be in the left lane (very few exclusions or exceptions exist). Often, I see cars make traffic impeding violations because they are lingering, and fail to notice that they are below the speed of other traffic in time to avoid impeding traffic, even when they do move right.
    Fine provide any part of the vehicle code (California's) that proves me wrong.

While the sign says "slower traffic keep right" the California Vehicle Code 21654(b) defines slower traffic as going below that normal flow of traffic. One car defining the normal flow of traffic can only be if there is only one car is on the road. If you are the fastest car on the road you are going faster than the normal flow of traffic.

FWIW last time I checked less than ten states had laws requiring traffic to keep right except to pass.

• Options
    edited September 2019

andres3 said:

Maybe it’s a clever ploy to get you speed around the LLC so they can pull you over.

In NY recently they were dressing up troopers in reflective vests and hard hats and mingling them with the highway crew. Instead of a shovel the cop held a radar gun.

• Options
    OK a while ago I mentioned that we stopped to look at a 1 series convertible at a BMW dealership. Well I informed the sales lady that while we weren't interested in that car at that time to keep us posted incase another convertible came their way. Well a week or so ago she sent me an email on this 4 series convertible. Well my wife was sort of lukewarm at this point on getting a new(er) car but we went to see this car.

Well we went to check out the car and it was love at first sight for my wife. Again it's a 2014 4 series hard top convertible 33K miles on her. Leather heated seats, heated steering wheel, neck warmer, rearview camera, nav system, keyless entry, heads up display, Harman Kardon surround sound system among other things.

We took it for a test drive and my wife was hooked. Handled well rode well and everything went well. back in the sales office we started the process of buying the car.

My wife pretty much wants this car and we started talking numbers. Now this is an autonation dealership so there is no negotiation of prices. However they have dropped the price of the car since they first listed it. So right now we are set up that we can finish the paperwork quickly. At this point we are seeing if we can get better financing and get insurance on it.

So tomorrow I'll be calling the credit union to see about financing and calling our insurance company. Once we get final numbers we'll make our final decision. We did leave a deposit to keep the car while we are doing this.

After this was all said and done as we were leaving they told us another couple came in very interested in the car and are running some numbers like we are doing but failed to leave a deposit even though the dealership urged them to. Their loss.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    “ as we were leaving they told us another couple came in very interested in the car“

Yeah, and used Chrysler’s are going UP in value so you better sign right away.

I wish sales people wouldn’t do stuff like that. Even if they’re telling the truth it sounds like a ploy. Just once I’d like to call their bluff and say “oh, someone else really wants the car? Why don’t you give it to them and we’ll find another one across town.”

• Options
    Good luck snake, hopefully the financing and insurance will go fine. It sounds like it would make an excellent car for you Mrs S.
    I assume your wife won't be putting lots of miles on it so it should give you many years of pleasurable driving.
    If you have a deposit on it why would the other couple put a deposit on it? In case you are not approved - then they have to try and get their money back. Like OF said, even if it was true, and I doubt if it is, why mention it?

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Now car thieves can steal your keyless start car by using a booster to trick your key into sending the signal to them,. While you are asleep in your house, they can drive away in your keyless starting car.

You haven't lived until you have had a keyless key. No more forgetting, and then getting into your car and having to stretch and lean over to try and extract a key from your pocket....along with all the other stuff, Kleenex, mints, pocket knife, dog treats......etc.
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Never thought I’d like keyless lock/unlock and start/stop....until I had it in my cars. Thought it was a lazy person’s option. Now, I don’t know of any new cars that don’t have keyless. Just hope I never lose mt FOB’s. That can’t be cheap to replace.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

“ as we were leaving they told us another couple came in very interested in the car“

Yeah, and used Chrysler’s are going UP in value so you better sign right away.

I wish sales people wouldn’t do stuff like that. Even if they’re telling the truth it sounds like a ploy. Just once I’d like to call their bluff and say “oh, someone else really wants the car? Why don’t you give it to them and we’ll find another one across town.”

Well they told us that after we did all the paperwork and put down the deposit. During the time in the office I didn't want someone to buy it out from under us so I brought up putting down a deposit to hold it. So they telling us that in no way could have had any influence.

As for the Sebring they quoted us more than I was looking for, but I know that it's fully depreciated and there's no real value left in it. Since there is no real value left in it and we are only covering it with liability insurance we are planning on keeping it as that would cost us little and keeps the car for bad weather and other things that would put undue wear and tear on the other cars. When it finally dies just have the junkyard come and get it.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    My personal tech is all APPLE ecosystem....iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air. Thor products are durable, generally immune to viruses, well built, and have great resale value once you decide to upgrade.

I will say my business PIXEL phone isn’t bad. But, my HP business laptop isn’t built very well and prone to constant windows updates (mostly virus related). Trying to use the track pad is futile considering how imprecise it is. That means I have to carry a mouse with me when I travel and have to use another in my office.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring