Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    stickguy said:

good luck finding a lower mile unit than the one I scoped out for you!

The Malibu you found stick is a much better buy, 1 year newer and 26.300 miles compared to 67000 miles, that is like 3 years of difference in miles! And the 2012 is in mint condition!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

VEHICLE CODE - VEH
    DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
    CHAPTER 3. Driving, Overtaking, and Passing [21650 - 21760] ( Chapter 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing that movement.

(b) When placing a vehicle in a lawful position for, and when the vehicle is lawfully making, a left turn.

(c) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.

(d) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.

(e) When the roadway is not of sufficient width.

(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily when in a condition permitting safe operation.

(g) This section does not prohibit the operation of bicycles on any shoulder of a highway, on any sidewalk, on any bicycle path within a highway, or along any crosswalk or bicycle path crossing, where the operation is not otherwise prohibited by this code or local ordinance.

(h) This section does not prohibit the operation of a transit bus on the shoulder of a state highway in conjunction with the implementation of a program authorized pursuant to Section 148.1 of the Streets and Highways Code on state highways within the areas served by the transit services of the Monterey-Salinas Transit District or the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District.

(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 426, Sec. 2. (AB 946) Effective January 1, 2014.)

So basically it says "dont drive into oncoming traffic".
    I see it more as:

"ALWAYS DRIVE ON THE RIGHT, PASS LEFT, all the time you moron! ONLY exceptions as follows:

yadda yadda yadda.....

If your LLCing excuse isn't listed in this VC, the law just AIN'T on your side.
    Really, resorting to name calling. Please read the law again, it states the right half, not in the far right lane. So if it is an 8 lane expressway (4 lanes each way) and I am in the far left lane I am still in the right half of the road. My interpretation is correct as one of the exceptions is for one way roads. The law you provided doesn't state keep right except to pass just to keep it on the right half of the road.

In short dont drive in the oncoming traffics lanes.
    The "moron" part wasn't directed at you, it was supposed to be in quotes as my interpretation of the law.
    If on the legislature, I might use such language in the laws to make it clear to said morons.

The idea is that there are many pass left drive right laws. No one law might be perfect, but the evidence abounds that the intent is to have people drive right and pass left (passing being one of the exceptions to driving right for instance).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

@abacomike
    Happy Birthday. Happy Birthday. One for each of you!

Don't fall asleep while driving with the car steering itself the way some Tesla drivers have!

Ditto!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

VEHICLE CODE - VEH
    DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
    CHAPTER 3. Driving, Overtaking, and Passing [21650 - 21760] ( Chapter 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing that movement.

(b) When placing a vehicle in a lawful position for, and when the vehicle is lawfully making, a left turn.

(c) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.

(d) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.

(e) When the roadway is not of sufficient width.

(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily when in a condition permitting safe operation.

(g) This section does not prohibit the operation of bicycles on any shoulder of a highway, on any sidewalk, on any bicycle path within a highway, or along any crosswalk or bicycle path crossing, where the operation is not otherwise prohibited by this code or local ordinance.

(h) This section does not prohibit the operation of a transit bus on the shoulder of a state highway in conjunction with the implementation of a program authorized pursuant to Section 148.1 of the Streets and Highways Code on state highways within the areas served by the transit services of the Monterey-Salinas Transit District or the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District.

(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 426, Sec. 2. (AB 946) Effective January 1, 2014.)

So basically it says "dont drive into oncoming traffic".
    I see it more as:

"ALWAYS DRIVE ON THE RIGHT, PASS LEFT, all the time you moron! ONLY exceptions as follows:

yadda yadda yadda.....

If your LLCing excuse isn't listed in this VC, the law just AIN'T on your side.
    Really, resorting to name calling. Please read the law again, it states the right half, not in the far right lane. So if it is an 8 lane expressway (4 lanes each way) and I am in the far left lane I am still in the right half of the road. My interpretation is correct as one of the exceptions is for one way roads. The law you provided doesn't state keep right except to pass just to keep it on the right half of the road.

In short dont drive in the oncoming traffics lanes.
    The "moron" part wasn't directed at you, it was supposed to be in quotes as my interpretation of the law.
    If on the legislature, I might use such language in the laws to make it clear to said morons.

The idea is that there are many pass left drive right laws. No one law might be perfect, but the evidence abounds that the intent is to have people drive right and pass left (passing being one of the exceptions to driving right for instance).
    The thing is most roads are divided into two halves separate by a yellow line. All the law you stated was saying was which side of that yellow line to drive on. Here in Illinois the law reads pretty much the same (pretty much both states have adopted the uniform vehicle code with minor variations), however we did adopt a keep right except to pass, it reads this way;

Upon an Interstate highway or fully access controlled freeway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. (625 ILCS 5/11-701(d))

That is a keep right except to pass law, the law you cited was just stating which side of the road to drive on.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Before we start
    stickguy said:

better than rodents eating your wires. at least that you can clean out.

Thy don't have to eat wiring to be a big problem. My buddy's wife went out to start their van a few years ago, and the chipmunk that was nesting/storing stuff in the engine compartment threw the serpentine belt off. Chipmunk EVERYWHERE. At least the engine was clean afterwards ;)
  • Options
    PF_Flyer said:

Before we start

stickguy said:

better than rodents eating your wires. at least that you can clean out.

Thy don't have to eat wiring to be a big problem. My buddy's wife went out to start their van a few years ago, and the chipmunk that was nesting/storing stuff in the engine compartment threw the serpentine belt off. Chipmunk EVERYWHERE. At least the engine was clean afterwards ;)
    Onetime they found kernels of corn all throughout my mom's car. In the engine compartment, in the trunk, under the floormats, everywhere. My mom had dried corn cobs one fall and some tiny creature must have thought he struck gold, stripped the cobs and hid the kernels much of which found their way into my mom's car.

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Chipmunks chewed on my wiring harness a couple of years ago. I started the car and it was running very rough and belching smoke with a flashing CEL. Had to have it towed to the shop where they found the damage and the short that was throwing off engine timing. Fortunate that I didn't damage the engine. Cost me a couple of hundred for repair. Ever since, the Bucket of Death has been in the chipmunk business ;)
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    So I think I may have a problem.

Amazon has been to my house everyday this week and I just ordered something this morning and have a delivery today.

What is really sad is that my wife and I both work for specialty retailers (in corporate) that have brick and mortar stores.

Am I alone in this? I feel like I'm going to have to buy the Amazon driver a Christmas gift!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @roadburner @graphicguy

Good friend of mine wants to re-do his basement system, but wants it all more or less hidden.

We can do in-walls for LCR & surround, but I'm really trying to push him toward a traditional sub either next to the equipment rack OR in the area under the stairs.

He is thinking slim mount subs behind the TV cabinet or under couch

Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-133830-Ssw-10-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B07K82KQTK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=KESEW0JWE22W&keywords=monoprice+slim+subwoofer&qid=1570710600&sprefix=monoprice+slim+su,aps,229&sr=8-1

I'm thinking two at least.

Thoughts? This is a fairly low budget build as far as these things go. He was looking at some in wall subs, but I'm afraid they will rattle.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    tjc78 said:

Am I alone in this? I feel like I'm going to have to buy the Amazon driver a Christmas gift!

And while you're it perhaps you should buy a few shares of Amazon stock as well.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    tjc78 said:

Amazon has been to my house everyday this week and I just ordered something this morning and have a delivery today.

What is really sad is that my wife and I both work for specialty retailers (in corporate) that have brick and mortar stores.

This is funny - my wife and I had a discussion about this last week. We order a lot of our consumables from Amazon, but the biggest issue is that it is so easy to browse and say "this is only $20 and we can have it tomorrow" without pausing to ask whether you really need it or not. We have dramatically paired our amazon ordering back by probably 40-50%.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

My view on this is unless your employer is paying you specifically to shop where you work you have no obligation to do so. That's not to say you shouldn't support your employer just that you shouldn't feel bad if you dont shop there. It's your money you're spending not theres.

• Options

tjc78 said:

This is funny - my wife and I had a discussion about this last week. We order a lot of our consumables from Amazon, but the biggest issue is that it is so easy to browse and say "this is only $20 and we can have it tomorrow" without pausing to ask whether you really need it or not. We have dramatically paired our amazon ordering back by probably 40-50%.
    there's. wife and I are split on this, she likes to shop online and I rarely do. I like to actually see and touch and at times play with what I am buying before I buy it. By taking the trip to the store I have averted many a returns, my wife on the other hand has more returns than a tennis player.

• Options

tjc78 said:

My view on this is unless your employer is paying you specifically to shop where you work you have no obligation to do so. That's not to say you shouldn't support your employer just that you shouldn't feel bad if you dont shop there. It's your money you're spending not theres.
    I know what you are saying. I meant it a little differently. In retail circles all anyone talks about anymore is how online is killing brick and mortar.

Quite frankly there is little if anything I'd ever buy myself in either of the retailers we work for.... especially mine!

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Well, I made it up here to Ponte Vedra. Torrential rains from Ft. Pierce to St. Augustine. 4-1/2 hours to drive 297 miles. Not bad considering the weather.

Going over to my Brothers Mercedes dealership to get wiper blades. The ones on the car are 2 years old and are not doing a very good job of clearing the windshield.

We are 75 years old today. I felt younger yesterday, that's for sure.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Happy birthday, @abacomike!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Working in retail doesn’t help much if your store sells widgets, but you need a doohickey.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Finally broke down and hired “a guy” to do some of my lingering projects I was avoiding. Some drywall repair (hole in kitchen ceiling from a roof leak). I hate drywall. Putting piece in is ok, but I do lousy tape and mud. And didn’t feel like hearing about it daily from the wife. Amazing how much better it comes out when someone with experience, using the right tools and materials, does it. Now I just have to paint.

Other job is replacing dead flood lights hanging from the eaves, above 2nd floor. I really dislike being that high on the ladder. Turns out need to put a different style box in The soffit anyway so even if I had tried would not have gotten far. So those get done next week.

• Options
    I am cheap, and do what I can. But am smart enough to know where to draw the line, and write the check instead!

• Options

Happy birthday, @abacomike!

+1

• Options
    stickguy said:

Working in retail doesn’t help much if your store sells widgets, but you need a doohickey.

Nope! My wife's place has a store attached (well under) their office. My nearest location is 15 minutes up the street so it's not like I'm browsing at lunch!

• Options
    the stuff you sell isn't going to be normal daily purchases anyway. So that can be your other excuse.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    tjc78 said:

I think it's time for me to make a confession. I'm your Amazon driver. Send my gift to Edmunds, they'll forward it to me in time for me to put it under my Christmas tree in December. :D

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

I think it's time for me to make a confession. I'm your Amazon driver. Send my gift to Edmunds, they'll forward it to me in time for me to put it under my Christmas tree in December. :D

jmonroe
    Amazon drivers usually have very interesting and bizzare stories to tell. What's your jmonroe? and keep it clean.
  • Options
    bwia said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe
    Amazon drivers usually have very interesting and bizzare stories to tell. What's your jmonroe? and keep it clean.
    I have a dilemma about this. The "clean versions" are pretty long. To be fair to the others in here, maybe the "un-filtered versions" would be more humane for our poster buddies. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ask him about the bottle in the back corner of the cargo hold

• Options
    tjc78 said:

We had a book distribution business....I would never expect employees to buy their books from us unless we had exactly what they wanted. If my business relied on employees buying from me I might as well close up shop now.

We buy a lot from Amazon...about twice a week. It wouldn't occur to me to get a gift for the drivers. They can change, and Amazon uses different ways to deliver depending on the product. I head about an Amazon driver, must get his own truck, they can make a lot but have to work hard to get all their deliveries done every day, must not do work for anyone else. Long hours and a tight schedule....work your buns off! They are like their own delivery company, I don't think gifts are a big deal to them, but, if you want to it wouldn't hurt.

• Options
    A lot of the deliveries are just sub contractors now

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:

Chipmunks chewed on my wiring harness a couple of years ago.

In the SIL's car there was a huge puddle on the floor whenever it rained. Chipmunks ate the insulation in the firewall...and the water poured in.

I mentioned my neighbors Lexus in Florida....mice chewed on every possible wire they could in the engine compartment. $8000 worth of work to rewire it. Toyota used soy to coat the wires for a few years....apparently mice love soy. Class action law suits. Toyota thought they were using an environmentally helpful product....helpful to the mice!

• Options
    abacomike said:

What a strange coincidence....being born on exactly the same day as your twin brother :D Probably at almost the same time too I bet!

• Options
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

What a strange coincidence....being born on exactly the same day as your twin brother :D Probably at almost the same time too I bet!

2 minutes apart - he was first!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Got the wiper blades put on - the GM at his dealer didn't charge me for them - it was a birthday gift - $200 retail for them. He then detailed my car for me. Pleasant place - they serve customers breakfast, lunch and dinner - much nicer than my dealerships down in south Florida.

I am probably going to get my next car up here - much better deal - thousands better. My brother is their best customer.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    abacomike said:

Well, I made it up here to Ponte Vedra. Torrential rains from Ft. Pierce to St. Augustine. 4-1/2 hours to drive 297 miles. Not bad considering the weather.

Going over to my Brothers Mercedes dealership to get wiper blades. The ones on the car are 2 years old and are not doing a very good job of clearing the windshield.

GM must use much better wiper blade materials and design: mine on the Malibu are 5.5 years old and work fine. LOL

Maybe you should check into AC Delco beam type replacements?

Actually, my Malibu has spent almost all of its life garaged and very little out in the sunlight and heat other than when we've traveled in it and it's left parked outside. I clean the blades with isopropanol which freshens them up. One of the blade makers used to include a little pad with isopropyl alcohol in it with the blades.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

The Malibu you found stick is a much better buy, 1 year newer and 26.300 miles compared to 67000 miles, that is like 3 years of difference in miles! And the 2012 is in mint condition!
    The best old cars are the ones found in estate or moving sales where the older person(s) have had a car. May not have been well maintained for a time at the end, but a friend of ours has found gorgeous older vehicles. He buys them because they were ones he could fix or throw away when they gave too much trouble.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

2 minutes apart - he was first!
    @Mike, I failed to wish you a happy birthday when I saw your post the other day, so please accept my belated wishes for a happy birthday. Sorry to hear you started life 2 minutes late. Even back then you came in second place.Tough life you've led. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    Some guys are always falling behind,.....late at wishing a happy birthday, late at getting a true luxury car and buying a wannabe instead, trying to do their own oil changes..............etc.

• Options

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

The best old cars are the ones found in estate or moving sales where the older person(s) have had a car. May not have been well maintained for a time at the end, but a friend of ours has found gorgeous older vehicles. He buys them because they were ones he could fix or throw away when they gave too much trouble.
    If I had the connections, or time, I would try to get an estate sale car...or even better buy directly from the family. I bet there are people who read the obituary notices and go after those cars. Then again, I don't know if I want to get involved in all the emotional turmoil.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Hey Mike,
    Wish your brother a Happy Birthday for me. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,436
    Happy Birthday Mike to you & your brother!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

abacomike said:

GM must use much better wiper blade materials and design: mine on the Malibu are 5.5 years old and work fine. LOL

Actually, my Malibu has spent almost all of its life garaged and very little out in the sunlight and heat other than when we've traveled in it and it's left parked outside. I clean the blades with isopropanol which freshens them up. One of the blade makers used to include a little pad with isopropyl alcohol in it with the blades.
    I think it's the sun that ruins wiper blades, so CA and FL would be the sunniest States.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Uh. . .really?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

Uh. . .really?

Never heard the term Sunny California? It's why we put up with high taxes that get wasted through misallocation and inefficiencies of grand proportions.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

Uh. . .really?

Never heard the term Sunny California? It's why we put up with high taxes that get wasted through misallocation and inefficiencies of grand proportions.
    Is it true that the CA legislators are considering rolling most of your taxes into one tax called The Sun Tax? :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    andres3 said:

Uh. . .really?

Yep and I have also heard that there is smog out that way too. It's UV rays that will ruin your wipers and any southern state will get more direct sunlight and therefore more UV rays. Also you get more UV light at higher elevations. So someone driving up mount Evan's in Colorado is going to get a lot more UV exposure than someone driving along the California coast.

• Options
    man, watching the news, and feel back for our Colorado contingent. What a mess. Also reminds me why I have no interest in every moving back up north. Central south (NC, tenn.) seems much nicer place.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    stickguy said:

I agree, that’s the lowest I’ve seen for the year. I just dropped an 18’ off at a dealer with 18k miles. I’ll have to see how they price it when it goes on sale.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,318
    stickguy said:

man, watching the news, and feel back for our Colorado contingent. What a mess. Also reminds me why I have no interest in every moving back up north. Central south (NC, tenn.) seems much nicer place.

Every year, it's the same thing. People forget how to drive when the weather turns nasty. Only a few inches, and it was gone from the roads by lunchtime. The girls made it to the studio this morning, in the MINI, without incident.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andres3 said:

abacomike said:

I think it's the sun that ruins wiper blades, so CA and FL would be the sunniest States.
    What about Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, etc.?

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@oldfarmer50
    Somewhat a stripped model at 67000 miles. But well cared for based on Carfax. Was owned by city of Piqua for years and transferred there from 3rd to 4th owner. Then went to Covington Ohio, a small town, city for a short time.

https://www.smedleys.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Chevrolet-Malibu-LS-Vandalia-OH/3520307683

I always shudder when I see “call for price”.

I use to think that multiple owners was a red flag but my Sebring had 3 previous owners. Each owned from 5-7 years so you figure they weren’t dumping a problem on the next guy. Now 4 owners in less than half the time? Hmmmmm.
    On autotrader.com they stated $7999 asking.
    I'd guess the car was used lightly in whatever city duty it had. It's older but possibly was an executive's car? Or used by motor pool. Low mileage as I search autotrader for comps. Car started out near @kyfdx territory near Cincy airport in KY.
    Did you look at the CarFax?

Here's an LT but its CarFax has been around a lot of different places. Military owned?

https://www.whiteallenchevy.com/VehicleDetails/used-2012-Chevrolet-Malibu-1LT-Dayton-OH/3488419373

My only caution about ex government vehicles is that they sometimes are idled for long periods. I’ve seen some ex police cars that had bad bearings at very low mileage.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:

From Pittsburgh... guy was wondering why there weren’t more black walnut husks on the ground given the size of the tree. His wife calls and says the car is making a funny noise and there’s a burning smell...
    Critters!

What were those critters thinking? Black Walnut hulls are extremely difficult to crack. Usually you need a hammer or a big rock. Maybe they were storing them there so that a few would fall under the wheels of the car.🤪 I’ve seen people crack them that way.