Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

@driver100,
    I'm going to skip the fall oil change. Only 300 miles, whats the point? Just wait until next year.
    I did put the top down in the spring and never put it back up.
    Will have to that before I put the cover on it.

Explorer, does that mean you did an oil change in the Spring? Just wondering, because it seems oil deteriorates in about a year. The C250 gets an oil change next week, it will probably go 6000 miles by the end of March, then get an oil change next November. It could go 10000 miles between oil changes.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited November 2019
    Before I retired I often drove rentals nearly as much as I drove my car when I was home. In 2014 I drove my car a bit over 14k miles and various rentals almost 11k miles, then in 2016 I drove my car (daily driver to work and back) almost 14k miles, with rentals adding up to 11.7k miles.

Now I commute from the "valley of the sun" to my high-elevation hideaway on a regular basis, so still accumulate reasonable mileage, speaking of which, it's about time to put on my wheels with the winter tires. Tire Rack was careful enough last year, when I ordered them, to verify that I wasn't totally senile, ordering actual snow tires in AZ. I answered their questions properly and got them delivered in short order. The cabin had up to 4 feet of snow on the ground last winter. Time will tell what we get this year.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    driver100 said:

@driver100,
    I'm going to skip the fall oil change. Only 300 miles, whats the point? Just wait until next year.

Explorer, does that mean you did an oil change in the Spring? Just wondering, because it seems oil deteriorates in about a year. The C250 gets an oil change next week, it will probably go 6000 miles by the end of March, then get an oil change next November. It could go 10000 miles between oil changes.
    I was worried that the oil life in my Ford went down about 2% every week even if I didn’t drive it. Then I realized it was counting down to a yearly change. I’d like to see some research on oil degradation strictly over time. What must the oil be like in those in the barn for 30 years cars?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @driver100,
    It means I will do the oil change next spring.
    I doubt anything will be any negative consequences, the car is just going to sit in the garage.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409

houdini2 said:

jipster said:

Hey Snake, what’s you opinion of a car like this seeing it’s basically a Sonata. I know you're keeping yours but would you buy one if you didn’t already own it?

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/ballston-spa-2011-kia-optima-lx/7004591191.html

Looks nice. Really low miles. Think guy is a curbstoner? Would it matter? Not many photos. Does have a licence plate on it. Why sell right after getting a new engine, tires and brakes? If everything checks out...new lifetime warrantied engine, probably get it for $6,500.
    The owner living outside the U.S. would be a big red flag for me.
    LOL, Malta is a town in Saratoga county NY.
    In that case you have my blessing !!
  • Options
    Oldfarmer and explorer. I will print this in full because changing the oil once a year seems like a must.

Motor oil becomes less effective over time. Constant exposure to heat, moisture and air leads to oil degradation (oxidation). The end result? Oil thickening, sludge, deposit formation and corrosive wear. Sounds awful, right? Well it is, and all these nasty elements can take a toll on your engine. You don’t want those troublemakers knocking around your engine parts.
    Oil additives depleted, oil life finished. When oil additives are completely exhausted, oil can no longer handle the dirt and metals that are freely floating around, causing the oxidation that creates sludge. Most importantly, old oil can no longer protect your engine against corrosion and wear when it breaks down. Picture your engine oil trying to work its way through hard and sticky sludge that’s clogged up oil passageways in your engine. Doesn’t sound very effective, does it? (Not to mention all the havoc these added barriers can inflict on your engine.) Leaving oil in your engine well past the recommended oil change date can result in disastrous conditions and expensive repairs.

Changing the oil on time will help insure your car will last as long as possible. One year is max though.

• Options

driver100 said:

@driver100,

I was worried that the oil life in my Ford went down about 2% every week even if I didn’t drive it. Then I realized it was counting down to a yearly change. I’d like to see some research on oil degradation strictly over time. What must the oil be like in those in the barn for 30 years cars?
    Just a guess, but, I think they would have to remove the oil, add new oil, before starting the engine....and hope it isn't all rusted out or the metal had corroded.

• Options
    @driver100,
    That's for a car that is driven regularly. Just another example of blind copy and paste with little relevance to the topic.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited November 2019

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

@driver100,
    That's for a car that is driven regularly. Just another example of blind copy and paste with little relevance to the topic.

That’s my original question, does just sitting there degrade oil over time. I’d like to see an oil analysis for a car in storage for a year compared with a car that’s driven. I’m sure there has to be some degradation from moisture or other contaminates but to what degree? If oil degraded just sitting in the can or crankcase shouldn’t they have a sell by date like milk?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

@driver100,

The issue is that motor oil does have a shelf life and will deteriorate over time even when sitting in its container on the shelf of the store. But when in an engine it's going to deteriorate at a faster rate regardless of car usage. I personally wouldn't keep oil in an engine for more than a year.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    edited November 2019

• Options

@driver100,

That’s my original question, does just sitting there degrade oil over time. I’d like to see an oil analysis for a car in storage for a year compared with a car that’s driven. I’m sure there has to be some degradation from moisture or other contaminates but to what degree? If oil degraded just sitting in the can or crankcase shouldn’t they have a sell by date like milk?
    Oil will last in a sealed can for about 5 years according to one article, but in the engine it starts to deteriorate quickly, and car manufacturers say to change it after one year. Would I risk it to try and get another 2 months from it? Everything I can find says the additives in the oil like detergents, rust-fighters and friction reducers will wear out, so the oil won't lubricate as well as it should.

• Options
    The guy came and installed the garbage disposal unit....just a neighborhood handyman. We didn't want the dishwasher hooked up into the garbage disposal unit, but, he said he had to do it that way. When we ran the dishwasher there is water in the bottom of the dishwasher that won't come out.

Does anyone know if this was caused by the way he hooked it up? It would seem to be a coincidence if the dishwasher isn't working when he hooks up the Garbage disposal.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:

The guy came and installed the garbage disposal unit....just a neighborhood handyman. We didn't want the dishwasher hooked up into the garbage disposal unit, but, he said he had to do it that way. When we ran the dishwasher there is water in the bottom of the dishwasher that won't come out.

Does anyone know if this was caused by the way he hooked it up? It would seem to be a coincidence if the dishwasher isn't working when he hooks up the Garbage disposal.

Time to sell the house and move into assisted living! 😜

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    How else would the dishwasher drain if it was't connected to the disposer?
    Maybe he forgot to take the stopper out of the disposer(needed if you DON'T have a disposer connected).
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    I would guess it has to do with the fact that hooking to GD requires curving the DW drain line upwards. But, personally, I have never had water collect in the bottom. Your DW drain pump or one-way drain valve is problematic and you just never noticed because it was draining downward until now.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    That's another possibility.
    Would have had to plug old opening since now drain is hooked into disposer?
  • Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

My wife works in an assistant living facility, she says she doesn't want to move into one.

• Options

Maybe he forgot to take the stopper out of the disposer(needed if you DON'T have a disposer connected).

The one we have at home does not drain through the GDU. It by-passes it. The guy who installed the dishwasher said the dishwaher almost always drains through the GDU....but, my wife has her reasons and they usually make sense.....wanted it to go directly to the drain.

The stopper is a possibility....I'll see if there are other ideas, or I'll phone him and ask him about that.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I would guess it has to do with the fact that hooking to GD requires curving the DW drain line upwards. But, personally, I have never had water collect in the bottom. Your DW drain pump or one-way drain valve is problematic and you just never noticed because it was draining downward until now.

Also possible. We aren't sure if it was connected through the GDU before....if asked my wife would say by-pass the GDU and hook it up direct. This time he insisted had to be done via the GDU. Maybe have to have him redirect it and see if he can do a by-pass.

• Options

You got the solution Explorer. When you mentioned the stopper that sounded like it could be an easy fix, so I called our "Guy" who did the installation, and he said he would come over right away - he knew what had to be done.

He came over and he had to pound the stopper out of the intake tube.......dishwasher seems to be fine now.

I wasn't looking forward to doing the dishes the old fashioned way by hand tonight....thanks for mentioning "the stopper".

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

These things get so frustrating at times....that I might consider that next time something breaks down.

Living here near seniorville, which is Sun City where I have never seen anyone under the age of 35 I had an experience I don't need. I come up to the red light, and there are 5 cars going to turn left when the arrow comes on....I was the 6th. The green arrow comes on and the guy in the first car....a van actually, takes about 15 seconds to move, and only one car gets through on the left arrow........when all 6 of us could have made it through....had to wait for the next left turn arrow.

• Options
    @driver100,
    Glad it was a simple fix.
    Your 'guy' probably figured it out pretty quickly.

Charged up the battery in the Mustang today so I could put the top up.
    Waited too long, cold enough that the top won't close all the way.
    I'll back it out of he garage tomorrow to soak up some solar energy to loosen the material.
  • Options
    My 2018 S450 turned 2 years old today - longest I have ever had the same car!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

These things get so frustrating at times....that I might consider that next time something breaks down.

Living here near seniorville, which is Sun City where I have never seen anyone under the age of 35 I had an experience I don't need. I come up to the red light, and there are 5 cars going to turn left when the arrow comes on....I was the 6th. The green arrow comes on and the guy in the first car....a van actually, takes about 15 seconds to move, and only one car gets through on the left arrow........when all 6 of us could have made it through....had to wait for the next left turn arrow.
    That’s not the senile citizens zoning out. It’s the younguns texting at the light.

They’re the same ones who leave shopping carts rolling all over the supermarket parking lot.

• Options

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

That’s not the senile citizens zoning out. It’s the younguns texting at the light.

They’re the same ones who leave shopping carts rolling all over the supermarket parking lot.
    In my experience....it could be either one....a senior or a young un.

The rolling shopping carts....how lazy do you have to be to just leave a shopping cart on a parking lot. That should be a definition of a slob in the dictionary.

• Options
    Where I live, they have people who's job it is to collect the carts. I wouldn't want to make them redundant.
  • Options

@driver100,
    Glad it was a simple fix.
    Your 'guy' probably figured it out pretty quickly.

Charged up the battery in the Mustang today so I could put the top up.
    Waited too long, cold enough that the top won't close all the way.
    I'll back it out of he garage tomorrow to soak up some solar energy to loosen the material.

Got my Mustang washed in anticipation of covering it up for winter. I popped the hood to make sure the hood lip was dry as that’s a potential corrosion area. I notice a lot of water dripping from the hood insulation back by the windshield which puzzled me until I realized water had been driven through the hood vents and under the insulation. It seems that every time I ran that thing through the car wash I’ve been getting the under hood full of water. I don’t see any rust but wet insulation pressed up against metal can’t be good.

Great design Ford.

• Options

Where I live, they have people who's job it is to collect the carts. I wouldn't want to make them redundant.

Wouldn't be too bad, if they actually picked them up, say every hour or two.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    abacomike said:

When it’s a fine car like that it’s easy to understand why you would keep it!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    We are remodeling the mud room and laundry room plus putting down a hardwood floor. The contractor ordered a small dumpster and the wingnut who dropped it off left it in front of the outside garage- blocking the 2er and Club Sport. So...
    We took the Wrangler on a 40 mile round trip to make sure the battery stayed fully charged. Really, the only thing that keeps me from taking it on longer trips is the noise level above 60 mph. My wife even agrees that the seats and the ride quality are good. Today I drove the X1; I like it a lot as well; it handles great. It’s quick enough for my bride but for me a mid-fourteen second quarter mile is just acceptable.
    I have the day off tomorrow; I may check out a new Supra.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited November 2019
    44 years ago this night.

https://youtu.be/hgI8bta-7aw

• Options
    abacomike said:

Gee 2 years is nothing for me, I usually go 10 to 15 years with the same car.

• Options
    @driver100
    which was the tire air pump that you ended up getting again?

• Options

abacomike said:

10 to 15 years old is usually when I start buying them.😿

Upcoming birthdays:

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    This guy has some quirky car video's but I kind of like them.
    Lincoln last ride.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDYOvF3TcXw
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563

@driver100,

The one year oil change should be followed regardless of miles but that convention originated with regular dino oil. I'd like to know if it applies to synthetic oil. If I were still working I could talk to some chemistry gurus but now I'd have to go on the Internet and I just don't want to do that. I've been using synthetic oil for a little more than 10 years but to be safe, I'll stick with the old conventional recommendation.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    abacomike said:

I'm going on 24 years with the Club Sport and over 17 years with the Wrangler.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    15 years, I think that is more than I can do. But I still think the RDX might make 10 years. At 7 years, 2 months and just turned over 57,000 miles.

wife complained today that she could not get into the call history through the phone button on the audio system. The tech is so old school, it doesn't have a synced phonebook, nor can you BT to make a call. So other than doing it on the phone, the (theoretically hands free) shortcut was to just hit the phone button, bring up recent calls, and just hit redial. Now she said it would not come up. I tried today when I had the car, and had the same thing. history menu came up, but only button that worked was redial last call.

I am thinking that the latest iOS update was too much for the old buggy to handle! At least the car still talks to the phone for calls!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

@driver100
    which was the tire air pump that you ended up getting again?

Breezz Tire Inflator, Air Compressor Pump, 12V DC Portable Auto Tire Pump with Digital Display Pressure Gauge up to 150PSI for Car, Bicycle and Other Inflatables

It was actually a bit cheaper, now it is $30, when I got it last week it was $26. So many are similar. The Shell station is only 1/2 a mile away, so I would go there and for $1 use their pump....it works well and seems to be accurate. If for some reason I can't get there, this one is for emergency use. It is a nice compact unit, has a light attached, and it matches the C250. I haven't actually used it yet, I am assuming it will work.

• Options

This guy has some quirky car video's but I kind of like them.
    Lincoln last ride.

I liked the topic....can you buy a good car for $200. He should interview oldfarmer. I liked his comments about the 88 Lincoln, very interesting. He is easy to take too, unlike that other guy who's name begins with an "S" and ends in a "Y".

• Options

abacomike said:

10 to 15 years ago are cars I can no longer remember what I owned :@

• Options
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

10 to 15 years ago are cars I can no longer remember what I owned :@

Early onset of dementia? It sort of creeps up on you without warning! 😩😗

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ". . . 24 years with the Club Sport and over 17 years with the Wrangler."

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think anyone else on here does. We're talking about people who accumulate 2000 miles a year, more or less, on a car, yet are willing to register it and pay for insurance, but it has to be on the warranty.

Go figure.
  • Options
    "Early onset of dementia? It sort of creeps up on you without warning."

Yeah, but it's often clear to others with whom you interact.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557

". . . 24 years with the Club Sport and over 17 years with the Wrangler."

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think anyone else on here does. We're talking about people who accumulate 2000 miles a year, more or less, on a car, yet are willing to register it and pay for insurance, but it has to be on the warranty.

Go figure.

I doubt the Club or the Jeep do much more than that mileage either. They are spare/toy cars for limited duty doing specific things, which don't involve putting extensive miles on them (or doing the daily grind or long distance road trips).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    The Club Sport has 146,000 miles on it while the Wrangler has 118,000 miles. In 2011 the Club Sport was my instructor car at Barber Motorsport Park for the BMW CCA Oktoberfest.I try to drive each to work several times per month.