Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539

Our new Whirlpool fridge had a red light come on telling us to change the filter. It was just about 6 months to the day. Will get some on Amazon.com and wait till that icon comes back on the fridge to replace it.

I get mine from this place. Never been disappointed, and saved a few bucks on the crazy filter pricing from fridge manufacturers.

Www.discountfilters.com
    I get fridge and furnace filters from them. Tier 1 water filters. Just wait for the right discomfort not (I would not order until hit 60% off!)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    PF_Flyer said:

Move over Aztek...Tesla taking the title :)

Looks like something a low budget Batman would drive.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I buy my hockey gear locally whenever possible. The price differential is often minuscule, and supporting these small time operations is a big deal, as like you mention, they also provide services like sharpening. They are needed in the hockey community, and to offer the same profit I'd offer an online seller seems fair to me.

The only issue I've had is with higher end protective gear or skates, which they seldom seem to stock - but they have no shortage of $200+ sticks for some reason.

nyccarguy said:

My 10 year old son, Henry is the goalie for his Squirt hockey team. This is the 3rd season he's been using the chest protector that the league provides. Over the past couple of weeks he's been complaining that he's starting to feel it when he stops certain shots. He's also taken 2-3 hard shots that have left a few bruises. With a tournament coming up this weekend in Springfield, MA I decided to look into getting him his own chest protector.

I called a local, pro shop that is run out of a rink in the next town over (Darien). I spoke to someone and explained to him my son's needs. He told me they have 2 different models as well as told me the pros and cons of each. Next, the big question; how much?

$150.00

The guy then tells me he's open until 7:00 PM. I thank him and tell him I'll be by later.

Next I go online to check out some of the reviews. They are good. Prices are all over the place. Some sites want $189, $229, and I even found it for $130. I left work early, picked up my son at home, then drove 25 minutes (7 miles). While I was there, I got both my son's skates sharpened. He tried on the chest protector. The guy there remembered that I had called earlier in the day and made sure it fit my son properly. Then I drove home 20 minutes and had dinner.

To me, the time and extra money was well spent.

I loathe that A-pillar peak. I fear how this will go over with the local techdorks who already are into Tesla like Flavor-Aid drinking cultists, and also have that PNW problem of being a wannabe outdoorsperson or adventurer (like in your pic). This is going to kick up the local rugged cosplay image a few notches.
    PF_Flyer said:

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,661
    PF_Flyer said:

Not made for the apocalypse no matter what it looks like:

https://youtu.be/LMWwImDX3ks

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    I'll be taking my truck to Ohio for Thanksgiving. Thought about taking the new car, but I'm going save it as surprise for when family comes here for Christmas.
    I should be able to make it to Ohio form here in CT(560 miles) and have 80 to 90 miles left in the tank.
    Even Elon's wunder truck can't do that.
    How long is it going to take to charge that huge battery it must have?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557

I'll be taking my truck to Ohio for Thanksgiving. Thought about taking the new car, but I'm going save it as surprise for when family comes here for Christmas.
    I should be able to make it to Ohio form here in CT(560 miles) and have 80 to 90 miles left in the tank.

How many credit cards does it take to fill that beast? They have limits ya know. :'(

Have a nice trip and a Happy Thanksgiving with the family.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited November 2019
    @jmonroe1,
    Sometimes I do break out the second card. Most times I use one because the pumps have a $100 limit.
    I do come across some pumps that have a $75 limit.
    This will be my 6th trip to or through Ohio in less than 3 months.
    I'm sure you will enjoy Thanksgiving with your family, too.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited November 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

How many credit cards does it take to fill that beast? They have limits ya know. :'(

jmonroe
    560 miles, you must stop sometime for a coffee and ...you know break. Why not stop half way, take a break, get a coffee or McDonalds Chocolate Fudge Sunday, and fill up with gas so you don't have to hope you make it?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited November 2019
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    Thx. Very interesting find about the Town Cars.

I still see some come into the local coffee quick market that are in great shape.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe
    560 miles, you must stop sometime for a coffee and ...you know break. Why not stop half way, take a break, get a coffee or McDonalds Chocolate Fudge Sunday, and fill up with gas so you don't have to hope you make it?
    Some guys like to live on the edge. Like not having a car under warranty all the time. ;)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

I still see some come into the local coffee quick market that are in great shape.

You can have one for not a lot of money.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/paramus-2005-lincoln-town-car-signature/7025210175.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe
    Some guys like to live on the edge. Like not having a car under warranty all the time. ;)

jmonroe
    or gt a new fridge before the current one gives up the ghost! :p

I liked the story and I think those Town Cars look majestic....like a yacht gliding along the highway.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/paramus-2005-lincoln-town-car-signature/7025210175.html
    It said in the article $4000 to $6000. This one looks to be in good shape. I wonder why only 48000 miles after all those years...probably just used for small funerals. ;)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

Good deal. I may have made that my winter beater had I seen it a couple of months ago. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

driver100 said:

I liked the story and I think those Town Cars look majestic....like a yacht gliding along the highway.
    I’d love to find an excuse (or the room) to buy one.

driver100 said:

It said in the article $4000 to $6000. This one looks to be in good shape. I wonder why only 48000 miles after all those years...probably just used for small funerals. ;)
    Consider the age demographic for those cars. Probably spent 6 months a year in storage.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Yes I do! Thanks. I’m not sure I’ve discussed this here, but I’ve been to NYC several times over the years. Two weeks ago we went for the weekend with friends and needed several rides around the city. That trip was the first time ever that I didn’t ride in a Vic or Town Car. It was all Camrys.

I told the wife after we get our campground site the way we want it with a sunroom, etc. I want another one as a toy. I’m thinking either an 88/89 or a 95/97.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Funny how our choice of toys changes as we get older.
    Down here the big toy seems to be.......boats!
    I hate being on a boat. Motor boats might be fun for the one driving but for everyone else, what is there to like? Water looks the same wherever you are, if you are moving fast there is that hard surface and shock of hitting the surface or waves, and then their is the smell of oil and gas and fumes....oh, and often it is freezing cold. And what's with fishing.....I can lie around at home and be about as active - prefer to buy Salmon at Costco anyway. :p

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    For some reason, I have zero issue digging into any vehicle, but digging into electronics makes me nervous.

My macbook pro wouldn't start up, and the geniuses at the genius bar wouldn't touch it because "it is obsolete." Gee, it is younger than both my kids, I guess I should replace them. Anyhoo, as I was searching online for a replacement logic board, I found out my problem is very common with this model and there are places that will fix it. While looking into those places, I found one site online that shows all the necessary steps and will sell you the code for $10 to bypass the affected part of the logic board (a secondary, and unnecessary, graphics processor). After several tries, I was finally able to create a bootable USB using my windows desktop. Went through the steps to shut off the GPU, and went through the restart procedures. Then, last night, I started her up. And ... nothing. It froze. Ugh.

Well, there is one last step that is SOMETIMES necessary. I had to crack her open and remove a resistor about the size of a grain of sand among other grains of sand. I pondered this for a while, staring at this little sea of dots on the board. I finally thought "screw it." I took a small pen knife, put it up against the correct resistor (I hoped) and popped it right off. I am now typing this message on that very macbook. Success!! I do have a headache, though. LOL.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    You ARE the man. Well done!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    TV update:
    I've become a bit hesitant to go with an OLED TV, some report that they are prone to "burn-in." So...
    I widened my search parameters for a 65 inch- and right now the leading contenders are:
    Cheap and cheerful: Sony X950G Series; Apparently very good for the price
    Top of the Heap: Samsung Q90 Apparently equivalent to an OLED panel
    I haven't picked up the Panasonic BDP yet so if I go with the Sony I'd probably cancel the hold(as that player would be overkill) and pick up a Sony UBP-X800M2. I know others haven't but I've had good luck with Sony electronics.
    Any thoughts?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Not sure this will work out....highlights and low lights of the 2019 L.A. Auto Show by Driving.ca. They love the Mustang Mach E, but don't think it should be called a Mustang.
    https://youtu.be/xwlM4-HnFSI

edited November 2019

TV update:
    I've become a bit hesitant to go with an OLED TV, some report that they are prone to "burn-in." So...
    I widened my search parameters for a 65 inch- and right now the leading contenders are:
    I haven't picked up the Panasonic BDP yet so if I go with the Sony I'd probably cancel the hold(as that player would be overkill) and pick up a Sony UBP-X800M2. I know others haven't but I've had good luck with Sony electronics.
    Any thoughts?

I just bought the one below that Sony and for the price I paid, I couldn’t be happier. I haven’t even touched an adjustment except to turn off Cine-motion and it looks amazing. Once I tweak it (a little bright out of the box) it will be perfect.

The Sony it replaced lasted 14 years.

IMO it has a better picture than the Samsung 50” in my bedroom I paid the same price for last year.

Living room redo complete. Full paint job, and all my windows changed from stained to white semi-gloss. Just finished the blinds (all seven of them)

my daughter has a very similar LR window and just did the same thing. Made a massive difference.

Is that bedroom black or is that my computer? ;)

It was a dark room with no flash.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,246

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Can your dog do this?

https://youtu.be/BWAK0J8Uhzk

Don’t get bit by your next Uber driver.

tjc78 said:

TV update:
    Any thoughts?

I just bought the one below that Sony and for the price I paid, I couldn’t be happier. I haven’t even touched an adjustment except to turn off Cine-motion and it looks amazing. Once I tweak it (a little bright out of the box) it will be perfect.

IMO it has a better picture than the Samsung 50” in my bedroom I paid the same price for last year.
    Was that the X900? I can get a 75" for not much more than the 65" X950.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Michaell said:
    You’re a good sport to share your youthful naiveté.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,246

Michaell said:
    You’re a good sport to share your youthful naiveté.
    It'll be a while before any common sense kicks in, trust me. I'm part of CCBA, remember. I have a whole bunch of these to write.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited November 2019

tjc78 said:

TV update:
    Any thoughts?

Was that the X900? I can get a 75" for not much more than the 65" X950.
    It’s the entry level 800 which is a 2019 model

I think the 900 and 950 are basically the same except the 950 is the 2019 model.

It seems the Sony’s only thing knock is that they aren’t best for dark rooms. In my case that’s not a problem as our LR is usually pretty bright.

We watched Rocketman last night in the dark and it looked stellar.

tjc78 said:

It’s the entry level 800 which is a 2019 model

I think the 900 and 950 are basically the same except the 950 is the 2019 model.

It seems the Sony’s only thing knock is that they aren’t best for dark rooms. In my case that’s not a problem as our LR is usually pretty bright.

We watched Rocketman last night in the dark and it looked stellar.

Thanks. Yes, the 950 is the latest and greatest. It has an newer 4K HDR processor and a few other tweaks- but most reviews say it's hard to detect any difference side by side.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Good luck with the Sonys.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited November 2019

TV update:
    Any thoughts?

Have had an LG 65” B6 OLED for 3 years. Not a spec of trouble. Stunning picture and contrast/black levels. I think burn-in MAY be an issue if you have the TV on all day....everyday playing a news channel with a static image (like displaying the call sign constantly on their programming).

The good news, LG OLEDs have dropped in price from when I bought mine (by about $1,000).

I like them so much, I just bought a 65” LG C9 OLED. I am giving my 65” Pioneer KURO to my son since his 10 year old Sharp TV just bit the dust.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Well, my goodness. Scotty has been reading my car buying posts:

https://youtu.be/YVAFnW46-Vw

edited November 2019
    What is this guy on?
    He moves around and talks a mile a minute.

Is he in a warm climate with no New York deicing acidic beet juice spread on the roads? No salt spread on the roads during snows? I want to see the cars that last that are 12 years old and have 60K mi and last another 10-15 years as he claims in a northern clime.

Same for his pickup truck.

I hate to even give this guy the clicks because he's so awful. It's like Facebook and giving them clicks where they're tracking everything I do along with trying to limit the type of news and sites they show me. They're making money on the ads they show me as well as selling all the data they scrape off my computer.

Same for youtube (Google) who's showing us Scotty. My point is I shouldn't have clicked on his
    video to even enable the crazy guy to have more income from the clicks.

Oldfarmer had already explained all this to us: let someone else take the high depreciation years on
    a car.

My of my Sony tv's have been trouble free. One only lasted about 8 years and another needed a new mother board at around 6 years(fixed under warranty), the others I kept for 13-14 before replacing that due to new technology. Just recycled a 20 year old one that was in my basement, but still worked.
    My last Sony from about 10 years ago started blinking black screen for a few seconds after it had
    been on for a long time. My wife would tell me it happened, but it never happened when I was
    around. She thought I didn't believe her...

But then I saw it. Replaced with 32 in Samsung smart TV.

edited November 2019

What is this guy on?

Is he in a warm climate with no New York deicing acidic beet juice spread on the roads? No salt spread on the roads during snows? I want to see the cars that last that are 12 years old and have 60K mi and last another 10-15 years as he claims in a northern clime.

I hate to even give this guy the clicks because he's so awful. It's like Facebook and giving them clicks where they're tracking everything I do along with trying to limit the type of news and sites they show me. They're making money on the ads they show me as well as selling all the data they scrape off my computer.

Same for youtube (Google) who's showing us Scotty.

He’s in Texas where cars don’t rust but the paint oxidizes. The rust issue is why I seek out low mile hoopties. Less likely to have spent years getting the grinding from salt and sand. My favorites are the Florida old geezer cars that spend most of their winters in salt free zones.

Here’s two that spent a good deal of time out of the salt:

11 years old when purchased.

18 years old when purchased.

Scotty is in Texas. No road salt, just the occasional flood in Houston to worry about.

the 12 YO car for a few grand, than doesn't work for most people IMO. But, the buy a 3 YO model, keep it 3 years, lather rinse repeat plan? That is a good way to go to balance having something new and reliable enough to trust, without giving you a hassle, but keep it budget friendly. That is actually what I always used to do for my car (the 2nd, non-family mobile).

Where I live, both rust and sun damaged paint are rare, mostly seen on either cars over 30 years old, or transplanted cars (and as so many people here have moved from elsewhere and now moan and groan about this area, there are more transplanted cars than in the past).

Scotty is funny, but not in a ha-ha way. Joke is on us though, as he no doubt pulls in 6 figures via his blather.
    fintail said:

Where I live, both rust and sun damaged paint are rare, mostly seen on either cars over 30 years old, or transplanted cars (and as so many people here have moved from elsewhere and now moan and groan about this area, there are more transplanted cars than in the past).

Scotty is funny, but not in a ha-ha way. Joke is on us though, as he no doubt pulls in 6 figures via his blather.

Do people living near the ocean have salt damage from the airborne spray and from salt from that wind blown spray on the roads at times.

“Scotty is funny, but not in a ha-ha way. Joke is on us though, as he no doubt pulls in 6 figures via his blather.”

Advertising experts will tell you that annoying commercials are the ones you remember. Maybe Scotty’s mania is serving the same purpose.

Here’s driver100’s friend Billy who uses the same technique.

https://youtu.be/DXRaboSo70A

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983

What is this guy on?

Same for youtube (Google) who's showing us Scotty.

He’s in Texas where cars don’t rust but the paint oxidizes. The rust issue is why I seek out low mile hoopties. Less likely to have spent years getting the grinding from salt and sand. My favorites are the Florida old geezer cars that spend most of their winters in salt free zones.

Here’s two that spent a good deal of time out of the salt:

11 years old when purchased.

18 years old when purchased.

You live in a beautiful area, so lush and green. Winters, well..

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav