Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I have to agree with "driving is not the kind of fun or enjoyment it used to be..." in the '50's and '60's and '70's (maybe even the '80's) because of the traffic on the streets and highways of "nowadays"!

I remember that in my drag racing years, I had many opportunities to kill myself many times over due to my true love of a 4-speed stick connected to a 427 or 455 cubic inch powerhouse.

Today, I experience many opportunities to "be killed" by the thousands and thousands of senior drivers down here who can't see worth a darn!!!  If I had my druthers about how I should be killed while driving, I'd prefer the drag racing - at least it would have been an exciting way to go!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348 said:

Yep, you should probably move there, drive a buzzy econobox made in France, pay $8 a gallon for gas, and take up smoking. :)

We've talked about it, the moving part that is. The company I work for has facilities in Switzerland, UK, Germany, and France, so it's not out of the realm of reality after our daughter graduates. We'll pass on the smoking thing as have most of my Euro colleagues. I haven't had a chance to drive French econoboxes, but the German and Italian options were fabulous. The Panda was an exception to that, though; what a piece.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    abacomike said:

The "add-ons" and services fees referred to are those that are hidden in fine print in those ridiculous contract forms found in used car dealers not affiliated with new car dealerships.  Many new car dealerships add a $299 fee for adding plastic door edge guards, etc., which might be eliminated by these new mandates.  

The dealer fees we are used to seeing are those promulgated or "permitted" by the individual States that require that the fees be a part of each and every contract for lease or sale - everyone pays it in other words.  In Florida, it must be printed on each and every sales order form and clearly delineated After all, dealer fees are actually "added profit", clear and simple.

I was victim of an addon fee from Home Depot recently. I had a leak in an outdoor faucet and carpet was wet in the third bedroom used for storage. I went to Home Depot and got a $21 per day blower to dry the carpet. The salesman said with something mumbled and taxes it totaled out to something and I signed the form.

Later when I looked at the form, they now add on a 10% extra fee (insurance) for damage to the item rented.

After using the fan for 3 days, I returned it an challenged the added on fee. The kicker was the form said I had been "offered" and had "accepted" the added on charge. Of course, a contract requires an actual offer of the 10% insurance which was never done nor did I accept it after the offer. The store manager ended up adjusting the pricing. I explained to him I'd be happy to challenged their methods with corporate office if he wanted me to do so. The sales guy was supposed to make clear they were adding on the fee. I pointed out to the manager that they should raise their price 10% instead of trying to slide the fee into the paper when most people are in a hurry to get some tool and return to work.

Turns out the sales person was supposed to demonstrate that the blower worked by plugging it in and having me sign a tag that he had indeed demonstrated it to be in good working order.

I mentioned to the store manager something about shady dealing like used car lots and new car dealers adding on fees at the last minute if they can.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Every tool rental place I use has the 10% insurance thing. Depending on the tool, I usually get it. That way I don't have to worry if I screw it up.

Of course, one should have the option to select it.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    robr2 said:

Driving is boring today for the millennial generation. For them, it's merely a way to get from point A to point B. Driving for people in my generation (born in the 60's), the car was an escape because we didn't have the choice of things to do or watch. Kids today have 200 channels, the internet, their phones, video games, sports, organized activities, et al.

It's the same way with youth sports. In my town, the little league is struggling to keep kids interested in baseball. 10 year olds hate standing around in the field while the pitcher and catcher toss the ball back and forth. IT'S BORING for them and even more boring to watch. Lacrosse and soccer OTOH has grown dramatically. Both are games with constant motion and active participation.

I have a little different perspective. I was born in the 40's and grew up in the 60's. We had plenty to do back then, but a car was essential for privacy and girls !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

houdini1 said:
    Driving is boring today for the millennial generation. For them, it's merely a way to get from point A to point B. Driving for people in my generation (born in the 60's), the car was an escape because we didn't have the choice of things to do or watch. Kids today have 200 channels, the internet, their phones, video games, sports, organized activities, et al. It's the same way with youth sports. In my town, the little league is struggling to keep kids interested in baseball. 10 year olds hate standing around in the field while the pitcher and catcher toss the ball back and forth. IT'S BORING for them and even more boring to watch. Lacrosse and soccer OTOH has grown dramatically. Both are games with constant motion and active participation.
    I have a little different perspective. I was born in the 40's and grew up in the 60's. We had plenty to do back then, but a car was essential for privacy and girls !
    DITTO on the GIRLS!  Privacy?  I preferred my locked bathroom door and my Playboy collection.

2021 Genesis G90

March Madness !

Getting ready for the Wichita State and Notre Dame game tonight. Wichita State is a 7 seed, Notre Dame is a 3 seed. Wichita State is the favorite. Go figure.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Just heard the weather forecast for tomorrow:

"...40% chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon with a high of 90 degrees..."

What happened to Spring?

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    abacomike said:

What happened to Spring?

I know that Al Gore would have an answer ;).
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    March Madness indeed. These games have been messing up my TV schedule for a long time now. When is this going to end? ps Football is fine when they go into OT as I'm usually watching.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    @Houdini,
    Wichita State is coming off a high, beating their in state rival who would never acknowledge their existence, until forced to.
    ND is not the team they used to be and they did just recently beat Duke and UNC in the ACC tournament.
    One of my kids graduated from ND last May and a kid from our town was a basketball star there until a couple of years ago, so some bias, but my money would be ND.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited March 2015
    tyguy said:

Will that experience be lost on our young generation? Will they ever know it?

I agree wholeheartedly with your entire post. I still drive a manual transmission car (not a truck or SUV) and enjoy it every day. I've owned & driven one automatic transmission car (my wife's cars don't count) and will never do it again.

Regarding the "Millenials," my geezer opinion is that actual experiences are of little or no value to the majority of them. Everything that matters happens on their screens. Reality is an intrusion.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Will that experience be lost on our young generation? Will they ever know it?
    I agree wholeheartedly with your entire post. I still drive a manual transmission car (not a truck or SUV) and enjoy it every day. I've owned & driven one automatic transmission car (my wife's cars don't count) and will never do it again. Regarding the "Millenials," my geezer opinion is that actual experiences are of little or no value to the majority of them. Everything that matters happens on their screens. Reality is an intrusion.
    You are right on CDN!  If the Millenials aren't playing "Grand Theft Auto" or some other screen game, they are surfing using their iPad, iPhone, iMac or texting or posting on a social site like Twitter, et al.  They order their pizzas online, their clothes and shoes online, and even seek out Dates online.

For me, it was cruising the streets in my red GTO, listening to "Murray the K" on my transistor radio hoping to hear Elvis's or the Beattles's latest hit, or watching the family's 8" black and white TV with the huge magnifying screen to catch a Dodger game from Ebbets Field.  The GPS screen in my car was larger than that screen.

I still prefer buying my clothes and shoes at a store where I can try them on for looks and size- hate ordering apparel and shoes online because I usually end up returning the purchase.

Although I must admit that I could never have found a replacement remote for my HD TV without the Internet or EBay.

2021 Genesis G90

Millennials are tech oriented and use technology to improve their lives but they aren't as glued to their screens as Gen Z which are people born between the mid 1990's and today. It's the kids in high school and college now that are the real screen addicts. But smart teachers are using that to improve their learning. Rather than tell the kids to put their phones away like the Millennials were, they use those tools. "Kids, quick survey. Text everyone in your phone this question and we will tally the results at the end of class."

Millennials don't care about driving because they can't afford cars, are paying back six figures in student debt, and have to share an apartment with 3 people because the wages they make as an independent contractor at a company who doesn't want the hassle of employees.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    robr2 said:

Millennials are tech oriented and use technology to improve their lives but they aren't as glued to their screens as Gen Z which are people born between the mid 1990's and today. It's the kids in high school and college now that are the real screen addicts. But smart teachers are using that to improve their learning. Rather than tell the kids to put their phones away like the Millennials were, they use those tools. "Kids, quick survey. Text everyone in your phone this question and we will tally the results at the end of class."

Millennials don't care about driving because they can't afford cars, are paying back six figures in student debt, and have to share an apartment with 3 people because the wages they make as an independent contractor at a company who doesn't want the hassle of employees.

Speaking of that, trying to communicate with some of the younger folks can be a headache. I'd get texts or emails about cars we have for sale, and sometimes an inquiry that could be done in a short 3 minute phone conversation may take countless texts or emails.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

edited March 2015
    My kids are 25 and 23 and of course most of the other kids I know are about the same age.
    Due to the expense of owning a car, many high school/college students don't have cars.
    Once they start working, if you need a car, you get a car.
    Kids working in NYC or Boston, no car needed.
    boomchek said:

robr2 said:

Speaking of that, trying to communicate with some of the younger folks can be a headache. I'd get texts or emails about cars we have for sale, and sometimes an inquiry that could be done in a short 3 minute phone conversation may take countless texts or emails.
    A study I read stated that the only people that still make phone calls like Ma Bell is still around are those in their upper 50's and older. Texting and e-mailing is something that can be done while doing other things. Talking on the phone requires blocking out time. They don't have time for that.

I find it's easier to text or e-mail my customers than it is to talk. People respond to those mediums whereas a phone call is easily ignored and sent to voice mail. When I send a text, I know they got it.

As for your not liking the back and forth of electronic communication, you might as well accept it. Those are your potential customers and that's how they want to do business.
    Notre Dame is VERY impressive !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    abacomike said:

What happened to Spring?

Meanwhile here in Nova Scotia, it is raining tonight but by tomorrow night they are forecasting another 6" of snow. Whatever happened to spring indeed.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Who knows? The machine is on tilt.
    In CT, we've had snow in May, so my snow blower is ready to go, just in case.
    Can see a bunch of my lawn, although far from all of it.
    Interesting comment there, Mr Shifty.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    tyguy said:

I know I'm opening myself to criticism, but I've never been a fan of baseball...or football or basketball (ducking behind my chair right now). World football (soccer) and hockey have been my favorite team sports, and running/skiing/cycling my favorite personal sports. Tennis kind of fit into the middle. I'm thinking I was probably meant to be born in Europe. :)

I guess I can't relate with the recent posts about listening to broadcasts over the radio, but one thing I've found myself longing for lately has been a manual transmission car. I have two modern cars with CVTs that provide exceptionally smooth rides. But I find myself desiring a manual transmission again. The last vehicle I owned with a manual was a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, something I sold 11 years ago when our daughter was born, and I miss it terribly. I miss my manual '91 Accord and manual '87 RX-7, too.

As great as cars are becoming they're also totally disconnecting us from the raw driving experience, IMHO. I'm just not engaged anymore. I don't look for excuses to be out on the road like I used to do. Maybe that's a result of aging, but I believe part of it is the lack of engagement with a car. Through European travel I've been able to rent manual cars, and in fact I insisted on those cars having manual transmissions, and I found myself excited to drive again. Part of that excitement was to explore the wonderful Euro sites, but I was literally giddy to jump in the cars and row through those gears again.

Will that experience be lost on our young generation? Will they ever know it? So many of my friends that have teens have found their kids have absolutely zero desire to drive. Why is that? What changed from one generation that could barely wait to turn 16 and get a license, to the next who have to be forced by their parents for the sake of practicality. Is driving boring today?

My son is a gearhead, but not to my extent; still, his dream garage contains an E92 M3, an Aston Martin Vantage, and a Range Rover Sport.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    @tyguy - I actually had to take my Prelude in for emissions inspection. Dropped it off tonight. I just love the way it drives. The tight, heavy, precise steering. Rowing my own gears through its slick shifting 5 speed manual transmission.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:
    @tyguy - I actually had to take my Prelude in for emissions inspection. Dropped it off tonight. I just love the way it drives. The tight, heavy, precise steering. Rowing my own gears through its slick shifting 5 speed manual transmission.
    My wife had a red Prelude back in 1995, but it was an automatic.  She loved it - she told me many times it was the best car she ever had.

2021 Genesis G90

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

In CT, we've had snow in May, so my snow blower is ready to go, just in case.
    Can see a bunch of my lawn, although far from all of it.
    Interesting comment there, Mr Shifty.

I also remember driving around in May here in CT with a little snow flying around. Don't think its going to happen this year though, from the extended forcast I see its supposed to get all the way up to 70 on May 10th, first time to hit 70 this year here. Lets hopes this forcast is wrong for the correct reasons :) .

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited March 2015
    MANUAL VS AUTOMATIC

There is no doubt about it...if you are driving just for the pleasure of driving and with being with one with your car, a manual is the way to do it. Like I say, our Audi A4 is about the most fun you can have driving a car.

Unfortunately, less than 5% of the cars being sold in North America are manuals.
    Young people aren't learning how to drive them
    Gas mileage is better in automatics these days
    Automatics are often faster than manuals
    With our congested roads it isn't always as much fun shifting gears.

A manual heightens the driving experience...but, it just ain't always practical these days.

*And, an automatic will usually last the life of the car, clutches can cost $1000s to fix :'(

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2015
    For some of us the pleasure of driving means road tripping. We did a ten month stint in our last van and the transmission choice wasn't a big deal. We've had manuals before and it's fun rowing the gears most of the time, but my wife doesn't think her left leg would handle it any more (ski break with a rod in her left leg now).

EPA mileage is better in an automatic, but that may not hold true in the real world.

This Acura TLX does have a "clean" setup in the console area that holds a lot of appeal.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,875
    driver100 said:

MANUAL VS AUTOMATIC

There is no doubt about it...if you are driving just for the pleasure of driving and with being with one with your car, a manual is the way to do it. Like I say, our Audi A4 is about the most fun you can have driving a car.

Unfortunately, less than 5% of the cars being sold in North America are manuals.

A manual heightens the driving experience...but, it just ain't always practical these days.

*And, an automatic will usually last the life of the car, clutches can cost $1000s to fix :'(

...and your car is less likely to get stolen since most people can't drive a manual.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    stever said:

For some of us the pleasure of driving means road tripping. We did a ten month stint in our last van and the transmission choice wasn't a big deal. We've had manuals before and it's fun rowing the gears most of the time, but my wife doesn't think her left leg would handle it any more (ski break with a rod in her left leg now).

EPA mileage is better in an automatic, but that may not hold true in the real world.

This Acura TLX does have a "clean" setup in the console area that holds a lot of appeal.

Dig it. A push button transmission. I'd think I was in a 50s Chrysler product or a 58 Edsel or maybe a Rambler!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    driver100 said:

In my nearly 40 years of car/truck ownership I have replaced one clutch- and it wasn't completely worn out. I had the transmission out of my 1973 Bavaria 3.0 because the PO had run the wrong oil in it and wrecked the bearings. Figured I might as well replace it since it had over 100k on it. My three cars with manual gearboxes each have over 110k on the clock and none of them are even close to needing a new clutch.
    But then, none of them are Audis. :D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I replaced the clutch on the Mazda which I think was a mistake because it still worked. I think the problem was more the hydraulics.

Had to replace the clutch on the Accord but that was after my daughter was driving it. She drives in dog miles.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    One of the toughest jobs I had as a Sales Manager at a new car dealership was hiring salesmen who could drive a manual transmission vehicle - we sold G35's in sedans and coupes that had manual transmissions. Less than 10% of the candidates I interviewed had that skill.

If I found someone I liked who couldn't drive a stick, I trained him - usually took about a week before he could be trusted to take a customer out in a manual transmission car.

2021 Genesis G90

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    robr2 said:

boomchek said:

robr2 said:

A study I read stated that the only people that still make phone calls like Ma Bell is still around are those in their upper 50's and older. Texting and e-mailing is something that can be done while doing other things. Talking on the phone requires blocking out time. They don't have time for that.

I find it's easier to text or e-mail my customers than it is to talk. People respond to those mediums whereas a phone call is easily ignored and sent to voice mail. When I send a text, I know they got it.

As for your not liking the back and forth of electronic communication, you might as well accept it. Those are your potential customers and that's how they want to do business.
    I do accept it and I text and email often as well. But my goal is to always try to get a customer talking to me on the phone as sometimes texts and emails tend to drag out and ironically it's easier for me to "read" someone by talking to them than by texting or emailing them. Probably my biggest peeve is people texting if something is "available", and after answering yes and asking when they were thinking of coming to see it, there would be no reply, sometimes for days. Not sure if customer is actually intersted in looking at the vehicle or just doing craigslist inventory of what's available lol.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

venture said:

driver100 said:

MANUAL VS AUTOMATIC

...and your car is less likely to get stolen since most people can't drive a manual.
    And my SIL can't borrow it and grandchildren can't borrow it.

That's the case with the Audi...our daughter is very responsible and has driven manuals so no problem with her driving it.

None of them can borrow my car because I have made it clear that no one else drives my car. 3 things I don't share, my underwear, my toothbrush and my car. I have taken my wife out and let her drive the E400 so she will know what to do in an emergency.
    If something happens to me she has agreed to sell the E400, she has strict instructions she can't let her new boyfriend drive it.

fezo said:

stever said:

Dig it. A push button transmission. I'd think I was in a 50s Chrysler product or a 58 Edsel or maybe a Rambler!
    My 1958 Dodge had push buttons. I loved the push buttons.....really nice for getting out of snow, if you had to rock the car out you just keeping pressing reverse and drive. That's probably why I needed a new transmission.

The E400 has a tiny shifter near where a column shift would be. It clears the console area nicely, and it does seem to be a little more refined, but, it seems to be something that women would like more....not very macho.
    I would prefer buttons, and failing that a console shifter.

We had a push button shifter in a Valiant for a while. Those console shifters do take up a lot of room and are great for catching dust. I like the dash shifter on my Grand Caravan; probably should start hanging my ball cap there.

My Kia guy finally learned that I don't do phone calls. Now he's just occasionally emailing me. He's young. :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2015
    Sometimes an automatic makes sense. Not every car/ truck is pleasant to drive with a manual transmission that's for sure.

FYI: Packard had an electronic push button transmission in 1955. The Mopar devices were mechanical, with cables and they were pretty crude to operate.
    stever said:

I don't like that. Too many buttons there. If they wanted to get rid of the lever, fine, bur how us that in any way an improvement? Looks unnecessarily complicated and busy.

edited March 2015
    The editor liked it quite well in my link, and apparently he's the first one in the office to complain about "overkill". Mostly I like the idea of getting the "stick" out of the way on an automatic.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Sometimes an automatic makes sense. Not every car/ truck is pleasant to drive with a manual transmission that's for sure.

FYI: Packard had an electronic push button transmission in 1955. The Mopar devices were mechanical, with cables and they were pretty crude to operate.

Something about an electronic push button Packard transmission on a Packard gives me shudders.

Not only were those Mopar pushbutton transmissions crude but they could be tricky to get adjusted just right.

Some Edsels had the push buttons in the center of the steering wheel. These must have been troublesome because 've seen a lot of Edsels at car shows that have been converted to a floor shifter.
    driver100 said:

fezo said:

stever said:

My 1958 Dodge had push buttons. I loved the push buttons.....really nice for getting out of snow, if you had to rock the car out you just keeping pressing reverse and drive. That's probably why I needed a new transmission.

The E400 has a tiny shifter near where a column shift would be. It clears the console area nicely, and it does seem to be a little more refined, but, it seems to be something that women would like more....not very macho.

Don't rule out the possibility that the reason it needed a new transmission is because it was a 58 Dodge.
    fezo said:

driver100 said:

fezo said:

stever said:

Don't rule out the possibility that the reason it needed a new transmission is because it was a 58 Dodge.
    Good point, and that probably was the real problem. Seemed to me though if you got that car rocking with the push buttons that transmission got pretty hot.

This is the only other big innovation I know about in automatic shifting. Reviewers don't seem to be too crazy about it. To me, it seems like a good attempt at making something a little old fashioned and crude sleeker, but, it is a little finnicky...you may accidentally put it in the wrong position.

• I do use the paddle shifters on occasion, but most manufacturers mount them to the steering wheel instead of the column, so when you spin the steering wheel it becomes more challenging to change gears. If they were stationary on the column I think they'd be more user friendly.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    edited March 2015
    tyguy said:

I do use the paddle shifters on occasion, but most manufacturers mount them to the steering wheel instead of the column, so when you spin the steering wheel it becomes more challenging to change gears. If they were stationary on the column I think they'd be more user friendly.

It actually makes more sense from a track sense. You don't want to have to move your hand from its position on the wheel mid-corner to hit a paddle. "Spinning the wheel" is something that doesn't really happen on the track. Granted, 99.9% of cars with paddle shifters are never seeing a track but then it really doesn't matter if it takes a quarter second longer to find the right paddle when driving on the street.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Imagine spilling a soda on That Acura shift control?
    edited March 2015
    You're supposed to put Cokes in the cupholders on the dash, where they'll only spill into the MMI panel or touchscreen systems. :p
  • qbrozen said:
    I do use the paddle shifters on occasion, but most manufacturers mount them to the steering wheel instead of the column, so when you spin the steering wheel it becomes more challenging to change gears. If they were stationary on the column I think they'd be more user friendly.
    It actually makes more sense from a track sense. You don't want to have to move your hand from its position on the wheel mid-corner to hit a paddle. "Spinning the wheel" is something that doesn't really happen on the track. Granted, 99.9% of cars with paddle shifters are never seeing a track but then it really doesn't matter if it takes a quarter second longer to find the right paddle when driving on the street.
    I can see the logic in that, but you might want to let Ferrari, Lamborghini, and F1 racing know that they got it wrong ;)

It seems there are advantages and disadvantages either way.  How about stationary paddles that encompass 180 degrees of the wheel?  I usually only use the paddles when navigating Colorado's mountains and particularly in the twisties.  The smallish rotating paddles are a bit of a pain in the tight turns, and they're located at the 9 and 3 position where I almost always have to move my hand to grab them.  Having grown up with manuals I'd prefer the center console selector be used for moving up and down "gears", in quotes since I have CVTs now and gears don't technically exist.
    Lincoln push buttons

It's snowing. That is all.
    edited March 2015
    robr2 said:

It's snowing. That is all.

Same here in Nova Scotia.

Some people are ready to commit violence against some of the overly enthusiastic, perky and excitable TV weather presenters here who seem to love lousy weather. Probably the same in Boston with ones like Mike Wankum.