Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,329
    driver100 said:

One article said it best....you buy everything when it goes on sale....for example oranges. Why not buy stocks when they go on sale.....they have always come back.
    And if they don't, we are all doomed anyway. :'(

While the market will always go back up individual stocks may never come back.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

driver100 said:

One article said it best....you buy everything when it goes on sale....for example oranges. Why not buy stocks when they go on sale.....they have always come back.
    And if they don't, we are all doomed anyway. :'(

While the market will always go back up individual stocks may never come back.
    If you know which ones those will be...yeh, get out as soon as possible :@

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Just as we all probably suspected. Some interesting facts about appliance repairs by the Canadian program Marketplace:
    A survey commissioned by Marketplace found that more than three-quarters of Canadians have had a large household appliance break down, nearly half of which were said to be between five and 10 years old

Indeed, more than nine in 10 (92%) of Canadians said they would opt to replace an appliance if it was too expensive to repair, the survey found, with a majority (58%) saying they wouldn't spend more than $300 to fix an appliance that originally cost $1,000.

Most breakdowns were Kenmore-21%, next GE, Whirlpool, Frigidair and LG. No idea about comparable sales numbers.

Many people found getting parts or service under warranty was a big hassle a lot of the time...many decided it was easier to buy a new replacement. In some cases parts weren't even available, for an under warranty product.

Article at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-appliances-right-to-repair-1.5475649

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Anyone buy a shed recently? Any suggestions?

Tuff Shed which is affiliated with Home Depot seems pretty expensive.

Need an 8 x 12 (max size allowed) for our campground home.

I'm thinking about 3K delivered with some upgrades (2 doors, windows). I just submitted a quote on Sheds Unlimited and w/o delivery it was estimated at $2600.

Any input is appreciated.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

• Options
    We will be getting a golf cart, so thought process was to offset the double door and segregate that area for the cart and then have a traditional door for access to the storage part without having to step around the cart.

If we just put the door in the center like stock sheds it's a lot of wasted space.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    abacomike said:

When I awakened this morning I put my slippers on my feet and walked toward my front door to get the morning paper. I opened the door and went to retrieve the newspaper when a neighbor walked by and caught me in my underwear as I was bending over to pick up the paper! She let out a reverberating scream and suggested I wear underwear that did not reveal my "upper derrière dimple". She bursted out laughing and said she would be more than happy to loan me a pair of her husband's pajamas.

I was so embarrassed that I must have turned red as a beet or cooked lobster (face as well as my derrière)! Besides, the temperature outside was 42 degrees which caused shrinkage of just about everything.

I apologized profusely as she walked away, still laughing uncontrollably. This experience could only happen to me! 😩😜🤪🤙

Could be worse, you could have been locked out!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    we could use a new shed, but I am nursing the old one along until the floor rots out. a coat of paint or stain helps, and a few years back I reshingled the roof. Because they are pricey. And we need it built in place because of the pool. even taking out the old one is going to be a hassle (and I am not doing it myself). I recall pricing them in that 2K range, but I am sure with the custom doors they go more. I assume that one you priced is wood? I have not looked at any metal or plastic options (especially since I need the same size you are getting)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    abacomike said:

Now those kinds of things don't happen to us not able to live in warm south FL. Today it's 18 deg (F). I'm sure you wouldn't have stepped out in your undies to get your paper.

The paperboy usually hangs the newspaper on my door handle in a clear plastic sheath. But for some reason the paper was on the ground on the catwalk (could have beena substitute delivery boy) so I had to walk out onto the catwalk to retrieve the newspaper. It was definitely a major embarrassment to me. Besides, not many people have seen me in my undies, that's for sure!
    I wonder just how much booze it will take to get that image out of my mind.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    tjc78 said:

Anyone buy a shed recently? Any suggestions?

Tuff Shed which is affiliated with Home Depot seems pretty expensive.

Need an 8 x 12 (max size allowed) for our campground home.

I'm thinking about 3K delivered with some upgrades (2 doors, windows). I just submitted a quote on Sheds Unlimited and w/o delivery it was estimated at $2600.

Any input is appreciated.

They’re all pretty expensive for the size. I guess you pay for the convenience of having them deliver it already built. Have you tried one of the independent places that sells them along the road or next to garden centers?

I couldn’t afford one back in the day so I had to build my own pole barn. It was kind of fun and half the price for twice the size. How handy are you?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

I apologized profusely as she walked away, still laughing uncontrollably. This experience could only happen to me! 😩😜🤪🤙

Mike, as long as the women are still looking you’ve got nothing to be embarrassed about. ;)

But @oldfarmer50
    she was _laughing_!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    stickguy said:

we could use a new shed, but I am nursing the old one along until the floor rots out. a coat of paint or stain helps, and a few years back I reshingled the roof. Because they are pricey. And we need it built in place because of the pool. even taking out the old one is going to be a hassle (and I am not doing it myself). I recall pricing them in that 2K range, but I am sure with the custom doors they go more. I assume that one you priced is wood? I have not looked at any metal or plastic options (especially since I need the same size you are getting)

Yes, that was wood with pressure treated floors (upgrade) among other things.

I have a plastic one at the house here that is 16 years old and still doing great. Heck it survived being moved when I did the addition.

I just realized the way I configured it wouldn't work! I need to swap the two doors as the golf car is just about 8' long and won't fit.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    First Coronavirus death in the US in King County - East side though, I think. My friend texted me from Costco saying that it was hysteria as if there was a combination of an impending snowstorm, nuclear attack, and Black Plague all at once.

At least someone will profit off the hysteria.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,321
    The guy that sits across from me at work is from China.
    When I asked him how his family is doing, he said everyone was ok, there maybe 10 cases out of over 7 million people living in their city.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Costco was fine last night, perhaps slightly busier than usual (busier at gas, certainly). But, I had a lovely and healthy meal of a hot dog and a slice of pepperoni. A few free samples, shopped and on my way. PUG $2.70.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    edited February 2020
    sda said:

abacomike said:

When I awakened this morning I put my slippers on my feet and walked toward my front door to get the morning paper. I opened the door and went to retrieve the newspaper when a neighbor walked by and caught me in my underwear as I was bending over to pick up the paper! She let out a reverberating scream and suggested I wear underwear that did not reveal my "upper derrière dimple". She bursted out laughing and said she would be more than happy to loan me a pair of her husband's pajamas.

I was so embarrassed that I must have turned red as a beet or cooked lobster (face as well as my derrière)! Besides, the temperature outside was 42 degrees which caused shrinkage of just about everything.

Could be worse, you could have been locked out!
    Or reported as an "exposer". :p

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    With several cases of the corona virus contracted of unknown origin here in the US, I would think this virus is being transmitted via food as well as airborn droplets from infected people. That is scary.

We don't have any confirmed cases here in Florida, but the Governor said they are watching 8400 people who entered the state from foreign countries recently. Miami has tremendous numbers of international flights landing every day from all over the world - Europe, South America, Africa and the Middle East.

I just pray for an early spring so the number of transmissions ebbs quickly.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,173
    Seeing how the eastside suburbs are the biggest ground zero for PRC-based real estate related money laundering/purchased residency/capital hiding since Vancouver, I suspect there's going to be a lot of hype around here for awhile. Yikes.
  • Options
    The Flu is affecting lots of people here, but you don't hear about it.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    My wife was scheduled to attend a conference in Long Beach leaving tomorrow morning.

In light of the recent cases in LA they cancelled the entire thing.

That’s a big show to cancel. It represents all the major ocean freight lines and thousands of importers.

• Options
    now I am kind of glad I could not find decent airfare to nashville for late March. will stay closer to home and drive instead.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

My wife was scheduled to attend a conference in Long Beach leaving tomorrow morning.

That’s a big show to cancel. It represents all the major ocean freight lines and thousands of importers.

The number of times I’ve heard “force majeure” this week is staggering.
  • Options
    abacomike said:

With several cases of the corona virus contracted of unknown origin here in the US, I would think this virus is being transmitted via food as well as airborn droplets from infected people. That is scary.

You better stop eating bats! :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

Is that French for "horse manure"? :D

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options

First Coronavirus death in the US in King County - East side though, I think. My friend texted me from Costco saying that it was hysteria as if there was a combination of an impending snowstorm, nuclear attack, and Black Plague all at once.

At least someone will profit off the hysteria.

I spent way to much time at a wally world yesterday, if anything they were slightly less busy than normal.

• Options

• Options
    My own close calls in crosswalks with a few specific vehicles (Range Rovers and BMW SUVs are especially bad at this, in my anecdotal experience) along with the amount of crosswalk casualties in my affluent suburb tells me that little study might have something behind it.
  • Options
    Where I work you are as likely to get run down by a 15 year old Altima or Civic as anything else.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned the zamboni driver going into the game as a substitute....and winning the game!

This was because the Leafs are finally 1st at something!

• Options
    They don't call em the Maple Laffs for nothing.

Looks like coronavirus hysteria is real, from my cousin's social media feed about 2 hours ago:

• Options
    I don’t get it. I could have enough toilet paper and water to survive for a year delivered to my door tomorrow from Amazon

• Options
    Should have bought the bidet toilet seat they had on sale. No need for TP.

The hysteria is out of control. I’m far more concerned about them closing schools than I am of the virus. Keeping a young one cooped up for multiple weeks is no joke.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    It's a mentality some of the media is hoping to feed for their own purposes.

I saw a chart showing major waves of flu and viruses. This is still small by comparison
    despite the sad number of deaths. I am much more in danger from the regular flu viruses
    that have already ravaged and killed many in the US. I don't see the little talking heads
    showing concern about those in my age category who have succumbed already to
    the flu this year.

As for the success talking down the economy via the stock market that some hope to
    have, at the end of Friday's session trade volume was increasing and market value was
    increasing.

I saw the rare, serious investment advisor saying she told her folks there may be a few more
    days of backing and filling. And when the first signs of leveling occurred she recommended
    they buy whatever their choices were in _blocks_. I think she's the best I've seen.

Another advisor said he like to see the market back and fill a level and rise. Then
    fall and bounce off the earlier valves at the bottom to show there's a resistance level.
    I think I'd watch for that in an individual stock rather than for the whole market, in
    the atmosphere right now.

I don't know how many days from when the first speculators got the margin calls
    they have to come up with cash or be forced to dump their stocks, but I'd guess
    that's about done now after 2-5 days.

An advisor said in an email to me that 20% every 3 or so years is the normal pullback.
    Haven't had that for 8 years. Had a couple 19% almost occurances. So there might
    be a little more desperation selling to go here. But there was so much cash on the
    sidelines when the market was topping for the last few months. Now there's more
    cash on the sidelines. T-bills aren't paying much and they'll go down in valve as
    soon as folks start selling and going back into the market, so cash directly into
    market looks good.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Dow futures are down 342 points already. It’s not going to be a quick rebound.

But the hype is absurd. I too am far more concerned about flu.
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    edited March 2020

Should have bought the bidet toilet seat they had on sale. No need for TP.

The hysteria is out of control. I’m far more concerned about them closing schools than I am of the virus. Keeping a young one cooped up for multiple weeks is no joke.

It's absurd. Widespread infection is not going to happen overnight, more likely is rolling regional infections spread over a period of time. Some perspective needs to be kept here, sadly there seems to be none in some areas.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Sometimes it's too complicated to join in the panic. When the Y2K crisis was looming some people decided to withdraw money and close bank accounts. My wife worked at the local bank, we both had direct deposit and we just felt left out of the experience. You really can't stock up on hot dogs from Sheetz. And even back then you ordered from the self serve kiosk. Prince had it right. :smile:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I'm just afraid I'll be SOL when I actually need water or toilet paper B) The water thing really amuses me - tap water here is generally excellent, I drink it a lot, will water stop running or something? Fortunately, our corporate overlords who bootstrap and work so hard and deserve their gold haven't offshored water production to China, yet.

Not worried about the markets, wasn't planning on selling anytime soon, not that I can do anything about it anyway.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

Someone mentioned the zamboni driver going into the game as a substitute....and winning the game!

This was because the Leafs are finally 1st at something!

Why aren't the called the Maple Leaves?

• Options
    Maple Leaf is a proper noun, and thus the plural is Maple Leafs, not Maple Leaves. :)

You asked!

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited March 2020

Dow futures are down 342 points already. It’s not going to be a quick rebound.

But the hype is absurd. I too am far more concerned about flu.

This virus is basically a bad and more contagious flu. Probably a bit worse than swine epidemic from a few years ago. It's us treating is like it's a black plague that causes more problems than the virus itself. This is not a health crisis, it's economic crisis and hysteria.

However, I think market deserves to go down and quite hard. I really didn't understand why it was still going up when the scope of the virus and extreme measures Chinese government took became clear. Half of China was at some point on a some kind of lockdown. Nobody was manufacturing anything, hundreds of millions were out of work, did not travel, did not produce for several weeks. Supply chains disruptions are just coming up to light now, but they were easy to predict. S&P will likely see its earnings lower in 2020 than in 2019 and even after current selloff it's still trading at premium valuations, cause nobody really cut the estimates on the earnings yet. China is now much larger component of the world's economy and pretty much everybody will catch something. Maybe Clorox will do better than normal. I would not be surprised if we were down another 15-20 percent on the indexes (means some companies will likely go down by 50%), before it's all done. However, if you don't need the money in next 5 years, no need to panic at all. I don't see dividends being cut (most companies have enough cash to dole it out for a year even with reduced earnings), or credit crisis due to some insolvencies. It's just going to be bad economic numbers for several quarters and the market needs to adjust to it, as until last month it was expecting growth in "teens". It will likely be rough year, but some time this summer the markets will resume, probably in the middle of everybody actually catching that virus and screaming headlines of hundreds dying every day (remember, hundreds die on normal flu, too, 36,000 a year in the US, but that's not news). Then we'll finally see this not really Spanish flu, which was killing young and strong people due to some autoimmune effects. Some (many) people will die, unfortunately, likely more than during a normal season, but the fear seems to be more more crippling, not the virus itself.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    ow futures are down 342 points already. It’s not going to be a quick rebound.

Yeah, 401K is taking a beating! I usually don't like to look at it too often, but since it's in the same bank as everything else we have it's right there when I sign on.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Yeah, 401K is taking a beating! I usually don't like to look at it too often, but since it's in the same bank as everything else we have it's right there when I sign on.

Consider increasing your contribution for next six-twelve months.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Reminds me I need to go in and double mine.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    My bond fund, which is the largest fraction of my portfolio, went up 1.08% last week, the money market fund (next highest) went up at a bit over a 1.5% rate (annualized), and the balance of the portfolio, which is a bit under 40% of the total, took it in the shorts, much the same as it did in '07 - '08. It'll come back over the next months or possibly years, but the majority of my portfolio will trudge onward and upward, albeit slowly.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    dino001 said:

tjc78 said:

I absolutely would but considering I’m unemployed and probably won’t be in a new plan until at least 90 days after hire I have to wait a while.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    tjc78 said:

dino001 said:

tjc78 said:

I absolutely would but considering I’m unemployed and probably won’t be in a new plan until at least 90 days after hire I have to wait a while.
    Oh, foot in my mouth, sorry. But once you get a new job, after 90 day "quarantine", it may be a perfect timing for the new contributions. BTW, some companies let you start sooner, it all depends. 90 days is typically maximum, as it can be either start of the next quarter or next month.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Dow Jones, peaked on October 9, 2007 with a closing price of 14,164.53. .

The DJIA hit a market low of 6,469.95 on March 6, 2009, having lost over 54% of its value since the October 9, 2007 high

Imagine if you bought in near the bottom in 2009, today your 6470 would have almost tripled, in 10 years.

• Options
    @dino001

No worries! Hopefully wherever I land I can start contributing again quickly.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    driver100 said:

The DJIA hit a market low of 6,469.95 on March 6, 2009, having lost over 54% of its value since the October 9, 2007 high

Imagine if you bought in near the bottom in 2009, today your 6470 would have almost tripled, in 10 years.

That is true, but just remember how it felt during that Fall and Winter of 2008/2009. Bank's insolvencies were real threats, the proverbial ATM not working became a possibility. There was not enough money in FDIC to cover all banks, it was only Fed's total backstop promise plus the later hated bailout that stopped the dominoes from falling - and they were falling, regardless of what "moral hazard" people claim today. We're nowhere near that kind of risk, no matter how hysterical financial media get. But we can see earnings recession, then real economic recession. Then it will rebound, as it always does. People will live, orders will get filled, items shipped. But the numbers will likely get worse first, which will result in a lot of emotional reactions, as most of the estimates are still thinking double digit growth this year in terms of earnings.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

Then it will rebound, as it always does. People will live, orders will get filled, items shipped. But the numbers will likely get worse first, which will result in a lot of emotional reactions, as most of the estimates are still thinking double digit growth this year in terms of earnings.
    You mean the sky won't be falling! :s