Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    suydam said:

abacomike said:

suydam said:

@abacomike — is the first car you’ve bought rather than leased in, as my mother would say, a [non-permissible content removed]’s age?

The S450 I have now was the first car I leased in almost 20 years. The 72 month financing at 2.9% was actually less than a comparable lease.
    A raccoon is non-permissible content?
    I thought the non-permissible was ‘dog’s’ and that PETA had gotten involved.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited April 2020
    ab348 said:

Woke up to snow here today and it is still coming down. Disgusting.

I'm sorry. that four-letter word is not allowed at this time of year! Only November thru March.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited April 2020

qbrozen said:

The more I thought about that 540i xDrive, the more I realized I'd have to ditch my BMW CCA vanity plate and replace it with one that simply read CODGER.
    I'm back to only considering 2 door RWD coupes- even if I run the deadly risk of the front end "wondering."

I vote Scat Pack Challenger. ;b
    Just go for the Demon version and get it over with. :p
    This one would do just fine.... except for the awful wheels.

https://www.cherryhilljeep.com/auto/new-2020-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-redeye-cherry-hill-nj/42396933/

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

jipster said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

Hey Jip, Did you come back from the dealer? What was wrong?

Yes, it was a loose or misplaced pin...or something in the mechanism. Nothing was replaced. So I'm assuming the dome light mechanism was opened up and the pin was put back in place. I was just happy to have my car back. :-)

I tried to set up a meeting with the Honda tech "genius" while I was at the dealership, but she didn't return my call in time. So going to try for sometime later this week.

And I did find a owners manual in the Honda Link app. So can get a head start
    on brushing up more on the tech features. :smile:

Sounds like just a pin in one of the harness sockets; absolutely no big deal.
    Thanks. Had no idea what the fix entailed, other than it sounded simple.

So, looks like you're not getting that deal after all, @oldfarmer. Sorry. ;-)
    Not so fast, you didn’t consider how that pin got bent in the first place. Probably got bent when the car rolled over during an off-roading drag race in the Amazon jungle.

I’ll up my offer to $1,100.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

qbrozen said:

The more I thought about that 540i xDrive, the more I realized I'd have to ditch my BMW CCA vanity plate and replace it with one that simply read CODGER.
    I'm back to only considering 2 door RWD coupes- even if I run the deadly risk of the front end "wondering."

Shelby GT500R
    The GT350 would be better in the twisties that RB likes.

I get a call everyday from1-833-585-0144

Nomorobo says it is a scam call about airbags in Mopar products.

I picked up the call months ago and let is go through the spiel so it would show I had answered
    and quit dialing. Keeps on dialing. Everyday I'll see it has tried and been blocked.

I wonder if it is just searching for numbers that answer to put them on more lists for robocalling
    scams.

edited April 2020
    Wife sent me out to Kroger to get various meats including beef now that a shortage is being talked about more in the local media. Weeks ago Congressman Massie and I believe Senator Paul mentioned it could come.
    But they had toilet paper--I didn't need any, but they had it along with disinfecting wipes.

Didn't seem to be shortage on shelf. The 7 to 8 am shoppers are supposed to be older folks and folks with conditions or first responders who work and can use early shopping hour. There was meat left in red meats and chicken products. I didn't look for pork...

So, I have heard this news for months now, and sort of expected it well before I bought my car. But, I think Kia took a shot at building the best built, most performance focused, highest quality car they could, and the market (aside from me) didn’t respond.

The COVID-19 issue didn’t help.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33178/the-kia-stinger-might-die-for-being-the-best-car-no-one-is-buying

I love it. Now, it looks like I’m going to have a relatively exclusive car.

Now all you have to do is put in storage for 40 years and then list it on BaT.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    edited April 2020
    I thought the 350 might be too slow. probably dangerous pulling out of the safeway parking lot onto a local street. Challenger never did anything for me. way too big of a whale. If I am getting 2 door and no back seat, I at least want the car to be small and nimble. Plus should have a manual trans if it is a performance car.

and over $80K for that. Ouch. But probably no sillier than $75K for an F150

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

if you do want one, this looks the same and is a lot cheaper! Oldfarmer level low miles too.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2016-dodge-challenger-2dr_coupe_392_hemi_scat_pack_shaker-used-2c3cdzfj8gh280167.html

and if you want a Hellcat so it can get out of it's own way, at least get one in a nice color with some style! and of course the correct number of pedals.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2019-dodge-challenger-srt_hellcat_rwd-used-2c3cdzc94kh759575.html

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited April 2020

@abacomike....not @cdnpinhead but maybe I can help. I think you look at Edmunds with your iPhone, right? Well, when in the forums, there should be some small icons just underneath the “LEAVE A COMMENT” line. Click the icon with the dot over what looks like mountains. A pull down should have a “Choose Files” button. Click that and choose the photos you want to display in the comment box.

Make sure you choose the right photo. :o

btw...Mike asked me...I am the last guy to ask......esp from a phone to a photo!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

I only post pictures from my laptop. that is simple. never use the site from a phone though.

A little frustrated right now here in NJ. As many of you may know we own a new park model trailer home that is permanently setup in a campground right near Sea Isle City NJ.

The season runs from April - November. We winterized on Nov 1 last year and were expecting to open up on April 1 this year. Due to the obvious the campground has not opened yet and at this point probably won't open until Memorial day at the earliest.

At this point I'm worried for the home. Damp Rid buckets only last so long and can overflow causing the water accumulated to spill over, plus there were storms and we have no idea if we lost any shingles, etc.

The campgrounds are lobbying with State Senators to get this reversed and allow people in with distancing of course. I've also written a letter as well.

There is also the financial aspect of paying for something we can't use...

I'm back to only considering 2 door RWD coupes- even if I run the deadly risk of the front end "wondering." B)

I was going to ignore this but, I'll take the bait. I wrote quickly, shouldn't have said...."front end wandering", but I will explain why AWD can make the car more stable during certain conditions. I have experienced it in the C250. It had been dry for several days in Tampa, I was making a large left hand turn - large street - going pretty fast, it had been raining lightly for a few minutes, my tires were OK but not the best (26000 miles) got onto the other street and the rear end was sliding to the right, I could see the front end of the car sliding left (that is what I meant by wandering (not great description), of course I steered to the right, rear went left and I got out of it. Didn't expect that to happen in Florida, forgot the roads get slippery when oil comes to the surface. Also, I am used to more sure footed driving in the AWD E400.

Some racing type guys think they can handle anything with RWD. Maybe they can, but 90% of the population don't race cars. So, in that case this explanation kicks in;

Another important example of the increased level of safety of an All-Wheel Drive car compared to a Rear-Wheel Drive car is when cornering under drive power. The tires in an AWD car are transmitting half the total drive force compared to a Rear-Wheel Drive car. When cornering not only is a tire transmitting driving forces but also cornering forces. Because a Rear-Wheel Drive car drive axle is transmitting twice the driving forces of an All-Wheel Drive car there is less grip available for cornering forces.

This means that in a RWD car if engine power increases and uses more of the available grip leaving insufficient grip for cornering forces the tire will lose traction and slip sideways. This results in the rear of the car sliding sideways in what is known as oversteer manoeuvre, meaning the car turns a smaller radius of turn than the driver intended.

Because an All-Wheel Drive car only transmits half of the drive force at each wheel, the amount of grip available for cornering forces is greater than a Rear-Wheel Drive car for the same level of engine power. Meaning that the best AWD car will lose sideways grip at much higher cornering forces than the best RWD car.

The result is an All-Wheel Drive car that can more safely negotiate a corner under drive power that suddenly and unexpectedly is more slippery than the driver expected

There are other situations where AWD works better, one is starting up in a straight line. More wheels sharing power, less chance of wheels spinning.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    stickguy said:

I only post pictures from my laptop. that is simple. never use the site from a phone though.

That almost never works for me but the iPad and iPhone generally allow it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Well, the E450 he was trying to get was sold yesterday. So, he has located the same model in Iridium Silver with beige leather interior that is $400 less and it is supposedly at the port. That saves another $800 because he doesn't have to transport the car to his dealership - it will be delivered from the port. Just waiting for acknowledgement from him that he was able to get the car.

I am also considering going the 36 month financing at 0% interest with minimum down payment. My brother said that was the best deal because with all the money the Federal Governemnt is spending, inflation will result and interest rates will climb considerably. So with $5,000 down, it will be a big monthly payament, but I am gaining full equity with each payment.

More information to follow.

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Congrats, Mike! Many happy miles.

ab348 said:

Hope you enjoy your new car, @abacomike !

@abacomike.....cool...Congrats on the new ride. Can’t wait for pics.

Great car, Mike! Love the way it’s equipped - enjoy!

tjc78 said:

A little frustrated right now here in NJ. As many of you may know we own a new park model trailer home that is permanently setup in a campground right near Sea Isle City NJ.

The season runs from April - November. We winterized on Nov 1 last year and were expecting to open up on April 1 this year. Due to the obvious the campground has not opened yet and at this point probably won't open until Memorial day at the earliest.

At this point I'm worried for the home. Damp Rid buckets only last so long and can overflow causing the water accumulated to spill over, plus there were storms and we have no idea if we lost any shingles, etc.

The campgrounds are lobbying with State Senators to get this reversed and allow people in with distancing of course. I've also written a letter as well.

I can see that restriction easing up. and also can see many people just showing up anyway to check on the place. It is a stand alone unit. Assuming the common areas (pool/playground) are not opened, there is really not issue with getting close to other people.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Wife sent me out to Kroger to get various meats including beef now that a shortage is being talked about more in the local media. Weeks ago Congressman Massie and I believe Senator Paul mentioned it could come.
    But they had toilet paper--I didn't need any, but they had it along with disinfecting wipes.

Didn't seem to be shortage on shelf. The 7 to 8 am shoppers are supposed to be older folks and folks with conditions or first responders who work and can use early shopping hour. There was meat left in red meats and chicken products. I didn't look for pork...

Your local butcher store should have a good supply, if you go today.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

I can see that restriction easing up. and also can see many people just showing up anyway to check on the place. It is a stand alone unit. Assuming the common areas (pool/playground) are not opened, there is really not issue with getting close to other people.
    Up here, the restrictions show no sign of ending anytime soon:

Even though there are far fewer cases of COVID-19 in the rest of the province, Strang said there will be no break in the restrictions anywhere. The northern zone of the Nova Scotia Health Authority, for example, only has 39 confirmed cases, while the central zone that includes Halifax has 757.

Strang said the big risk with softening the rules in one area and not another is that people would likely drive to the place with fewer restrictions, especially if there was more freedom of movement or better shopping in a particular area.

"Then you run the risk of taking the virus from one part of the province to another," said Strang.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/covid-19-restrictions-government-health-pandemic-1.5547457

you can go case by case and do risk analysis. Something like TJC's summer house needs attention. it isn't a recreational trip. and there is no congregating, so in terms of isolating the virus, no impact. Logically it should be relaxed.

in PA I saw they are allowing boating for the same reasons (that and the people making the most noise have boats!). Just have some basic conditions to follow, and should be fine.

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

I hope so. Right now they won’t let anyone in (ours is gated with security) to even check.

That’s the argument. Everyone has there own lot, so no different than being home. Of course all the common areas would be closed.

abacomike said:

Well, the E450 he was trying to get was sold yesterday. So, he has located the same model in Iridium Silver with beige leather interior that is $400 less and it is supposedly at the port. That saves another $800 because he doesn't have to transport the car to his dealership - it will be delivered from the port. Just waiting for acknowledgement from him that he was able to get the car.

Hope this one comes through for you Mike. Sounds just as nice as the other one. I like the idea you will own it. Leasing is good in certain situations.....but, usually owning is better financially, and it is nice to feel that the car really is yours.....except for the bank :D

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

Even though there are far fewer cases of COVID-19 in the rest of the province, Strang said there will be no break in the restrictions anywhere.
    New Zealand had very strict restrictions.....no food delivery even let alone pickup....they are free and clear...no new cases. It will be interesting to see what happens where bans have been lifted.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited April 2020
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

https://www.cherryhilljeep.com/auto/new-2020-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-redeye-cherry-hill-nj/42396933/
    Reminded me of this video about the Hellcat Redeye. BTW, I think the guy in the video has the brains of a Grape!

https://youtu.be/7vXG7pr5_tM
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    I just came back from the Post Office. On the door was a sign telling you that you had to wear a mask inside the building.

None of the clerks had a mask on. :open_mouth:

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    @graphicguy

To quote the great Bugs Bunny: "What a maroon!"

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

venture said:

I just came back from the Post Office. On the door was a sign telling you that you had to wear a mask inside the building.

Our post office is the same. They have a plastic window in front of them though, and there is a line 6 feet back from the counter that you have to stay behind. If you have to get near the counter they step back accordingly. It works!

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

Reminded me of this video about the Hellcat Redeye. BTW, I think the guy in the video has the brains of a Grape!

I'd like to see his bill of sale.
    He buys a car a lot faster than anyone around here ;)

nyccarguy said:

@graphicguy

Indeed.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I suspect that's going to happen in WA, soon. Rural areas are going to "open" as the governor is facing more intense pressure, and bored people from more populated areas are going to head out for something to do. I wonder where we'll see the next hot zone. Food related facilities seem to be the latest wave.

I know some beach communities are telling visitors to stay away already.

To be fair, I don't think it has been handled too poorly in my area. It was a little wishy washy at first, but most people seem to be following it, even if the conspiracy theorist types are whining as usual.
    ab348 said:

<

Even though there are far fewer cases of COVID-19 in the rest of the province, Strang said there will be no break in the restrictions anywhere. The northern zone of the Nova Scotia Health Authority, for example, only has 39 confirmed cases, while the central zone that includes Halifax has 757.

Strang said the big risk with softening the rules in one area and not another is that people would likely drive to the place with fewer restrictions, especially if there was more freedom of movement or better shopping in a particular area.

"Then you run the risk of taking the virus from one part of the province to another," said Strang.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/covid-19-restrictions-government-health-pandemic-1.5547457

I'll just go down to the mask store and buy a mask. They are plentiful everywhere, right?

If they end up being literal requirements, I swear I am breaking out my Mad Max hockey helmet/balaclava hybrid. If anyone says anything, maybe they'll get my hockey elbow :)
    venture said:

That might work out better, you're getting a "newer" car if it is still in port. Same option load?

If you can do it, take the shorter term, you'll catch up with the depreciation curve faster that way.
    abacomike said:

I am also considering going the 36 month financing at 0% interest with minimum down payment. My brother said that was the best deal because with all the money the Federal Governemnt is spending, inflation will result and interest rates will climb considerably. So with $5,000 down, it will be a big monthly payament, but I am gaining full equity with each payment.

Our annual family vacation is the 3rd week of July. We rent houses at the jersey shore. 4 places to cover extended family. No clue if that is going to get scrubbed. Probably won’t know for sure until June. I will be disappointed if it gets cancelled but will go nuts if they don’t return our deposit (which should be in An escrow type account at the real estate agency still).

stickguy said:

you can go case by case and do risk analysis. Something like TJC's summer house needs attention. it isn't a recreational trip. and there is no congregating, so in terms of isolating the virus, no impact. Logically it should be relaxed.

in PA I saw they are allowing boating for the same reasons (that and the people making the most noise have boats!). Just have some basic conditions to follow, and should be fine.

Generally govts do not like doing things case by case, preferring the large-sized hammer "one size fits all" approach, which of course it never does. I can understand that b/c they really can't deal with thousands and thousands of one-offs, but the approach here is beginning to be seen as far too doctrinaire and illogical by a growing number of people. No logic to either extreme, really, but the guy here seems very reluctant to loosen the shackles even a tiny bit. This is the same guy who declared recreational driving as an unnecessary and dangerous risk.

I get a call everyday from1-833-585-0144

Nomorobo says it is a scam call about airbags in Mopar products.

I picked up the call months ago and let is go through the spiel so it would show I had answered
    and quit dialing. Keeps on dialing. Everyday I'll see it has tried and been blocked.

I wonder if it is just searching for numbers that answer to put them on more lists for robocalling
    scams.

Now that a I’m waiting on a call from UI I have to pick up those robocalls just in case. This morning was a hoot. Caller asked if I was a “senyor”. I said WHAT? and he repeated it several times.

Finally he said something about Medicare and back pain. I realized he was asking me if I was a “Senior”.

Click!

venture said:

I had to go to the supermarket today against my better judgement. It actually was fairly deserted and there were pleasant staff stationed at strategic points keeping track of headcount, sanitizing carts, making sure you used the right entrance and exit, etc. It would have been great except for the other staff members sans masks who were zooming around the aisles and checkouts totally ignoring distancing.

tjc78 said:

Loss of use is frustrating but lost of the home to storm damage or mold is another thing all together. What’s the penalty for just going there to check?

abacomike said:

For your location I would go silver over black any day.

We are not allowed on site, period. It’s gated with no way in.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

So, I have heard this news for months now, and sort of expected it well before I bought my car. But, I think Kia took a shot at building the best built, most performance focused, highest quality car they could, and the market (aside from me) didn’t respond.

The COVID-19 issue didn’t help.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33178/the-kia-stinger-might-die-for-being-the-best-car-no-one-is-buying

I love it. Now, it looks like I’m going to have a relatively exclusive car.

And yet most dealers act like the car is in high demand. I'd still consider a RWD GT1 or GT2

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tjc78 said:

If I was buying a 70K+ car I want it with less than 25 miles. If I'm leasing I really couldn't care less. My 2009 Genesis had over 300 as did my 06 Avalon both of which were dealer traded.

My MS3 had 200 or so miles on it; I really didn't care.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jipster said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

Hey Jip, Did you come back from the dealer? What was wrong?

Yes, it was a loose or misplaced pin...or something in the mechanism. Nothing was replaced. So I'm assuming the dome light mechanism was opened up and the pin was put back in place. I was just happy to have my car back. :-)

I tried to set up a meeting with the Honda tech "genius" while I was at the dealership, but she didn't return my call in time. So going to try for sometime later this week.

And I did find a owners manual in the Honda Link app. So can get a head start
    on brushing up more on the tech features. :smile:

Sounds like just a pin in one of the harness sockets; absolutely no big deal.
    Thanks. Had no idea what the fix entailed, other than it sounded simple.

So, looks like you're not getting that deal after all, @oldfarmer. Sorry. ;-)
    Not so fast, you didn’t consider how that pin got bent in the first place. Probably got bent when the car rolled over during an off-roading drag race in the Amazon jungle.

I’ll up my offer to $1,100.
    Reminds of an OCD dimwit from the old Town Hall days; he spent a couple of months agonizing over how to order his Mustang GT. He finally ordered it and as soon as it arrived he went over the whole car in laborious detail, eventually finding a defect in the paint on the underside of the rear bumper. He posted a picture and someone stated that the only time he had seen that kind of damage was when a car was accidentally dropped 2-3 feet off the ramp while it was being unloaded. The rest of us kept silent and hilarity ensued.

driver100 said:

Agree....like the 2020 more than the 2021.

This is the E450 4MATIC that they were able to get from the port of entry in Brunswick, Georgia. They just opened the port yesterday after a 6 week closure. The car you posted is exactly what they are getting for me - Iridium Silver, Machiato Beige Leather seats with black carpets and dashboard, and natural grain Black Ash wood - black wood that is not glossy - but you can feel the grain when you touch it.

It has all the same equipment as the gray one had. They are taking 10% off MSRP less $2500 USAA incentive and $1000 customer cash. Also, they will pick up the first payment up to $500. But this car will not be into the dealership for 10-14 days. So, my deal will be based on May programs which could be better than the April programs - but then again, they could be worse. Won't know until this Friday. If the programs are not the same or better than the April programs, I won't get the car.

0% financing for 36 month or 2.9% financing for 72 months. More news to follow.

2021 Genesis G90

tjc78 said:

nyccarguy said:

@graphicguy

Indeed.
    If what he said is true, the original owner scammed the dealer and the dealer scammed him. Maroons all around.

I finally had some time to apply some vinyl decals to the quarter windows of the Club Sport- they look cooler on an '02, but at least the Club Sport is 25 years old.

edited April 2020
    I had to go out this afternoon because my new glasses 🤓 👓 were finally ready for pick up. They are very light compared to all the glasses I have worn all my life. This is because there is a very tiny correction for astigmatism in both eyes and a tiny acuity correction. I don't wear the new glasses when I drive - I wear my new sunglasses that don't have any correction. I can drive or watch TV without glasses. But these new glasses are progressives (they go from almost no correction on the upper 1/2 of the lenses to strong correction for reading at the bottom). They also darken in sunlight. But I prefer wearing regular sunglasses 🕶outdoors for walking or driving.

I figured that since I was out, I would stop off at the car 🚘 dealership. I sat down with the General Manager and we worked out the deal. He took my credit and after printing the FICO score, he said I am pre-approved for any financing I want - 0% for 36 months or 2.9% for 48, 60 or 72 months with no minimum down payment required. So when I know what the May programs are, I will make my decision. 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Agree....like the 2020 more than the 2021.

This is the E450 4MATIC that they were able to get from the port of entry in Brunswick, Georgia. They just opened the port yesterday after a 6 week closure. The car you posted is exactly what they are getting for me - Iridium Silver, Machiato Beige Leather seats with black carpets and dashboard, and natural grain Black Ash wood - black wood that is not glossy - but you can feel the grain when you touch it.
    That will be a great looking car, the silver suits it. I like the flat black ash wood. Personally, I like a light colored interior, but it will still look good. For personal thing, but, I prefer an E Class to an S Class....to me it looks better balanced, and the S looks like a car more suited to a funeral or for a diplomat.

tjc78 said:

We are not allowed on site, period. It’s gated with no way in.

Sorry to hear about the motor home tjc. What is the plan? Why can you not make appointments to view it at different times? Must be very frustrating.

driver100 said:

Personally, I like a light colored interior, but it will still look good.

I think a beige interior would qualify as “light coloured”. B)