Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    my guess, your battery was never charged enough after a lot of local driving. I have noticed with the RDX (our first S/S car) that when it sits a lot (as in, most of the time) and I drive around local, it never activates. But if I drive 30 miles on the highway, or really get it warmed up after a while local, it activates immediately. I know there are a few parameters checked including engine temp and battery charge, so I assume it just means my battery is down from sitting a lot.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @stickguy,
    Since the car would sit, at times over a week,, that makes sense.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited May 2020

@driver100,
    It's your car that's annoying. You should try one that has a good S/S system.
    I don't have any gas guzzlers and the effect was more noticeable(saved more fuel) on my Fusion(1.5 liter 4 cyl) than my truck(3.5 V6).
    1 mpg better in the truck and 2 mpg in the car.

2 mpg extra because of S/S.....you must drive about 4 mph! :p
    or....you wait for some very long trains.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,360
    For the type of driving I do S/S makes little to no difference.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Stick, mine also doesn't go on even after awhile because I think it learns I never use it, so it may shut off after about 30 seconds, but, won't go off immediately.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168
    I generally switch off the s/s on my car, unless for some weird reason I want to experience it. On modern MBs, it is a simple button on the console, you have to do it with each start, but no big deal. It doesn't seem to come into effect unless the car is fully warmed up and the battery on full charge - like after being driven for 20-30 or more minutes.

I've also developed habit of switching to "economy" mode before I drive off (default is "comfort" mode). There's something about those long-legged lazy 2nd gear starts and upshifts that makes an already relaxed car even more so. I think the C&D review for the E450 also mentioned this. Such a placid car in most driving situations.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    driver100 said:

Stick, mine also doesn't go on even after awhile because I think it learns I never use it, so it may shut off after about 30 seconds, but, won't go off immediately.

I’m not a fan of stop-start but if you could adjust it so that it didn’t activate for some predetermined interval (say 30-60 seconds) I could learn to live with it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    that is the biggest issue I have. it kicks on and off constantly if you are stopping (say, stop signs) for just a few seconds. I only want it to activate if I am going to be sitting longer, but there is no way it can tell. Would have to do it "manually" (which I have done). set it to off, then just turn it back on if you know you just got caught at a longer light. I really hate it when I have to stop for traffic before making a left across ongoing traffic, and I really don't want any lag doing that!

Probably another good reason to get a stick again. Only stop/start will be if you stall it. Or I guess keep the TLX, which for some reason does not have it.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    That two-day delivery may be a little late.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

2 day delivery seems to be a thing of the past. 1 to 4 weeks is more normal. Because of the virus a lot fewer workers processing orders. Showed a courier truck on the news, instead of 4 guys loading it only one....because of distancing.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

These days a lot of criminals are caught by security cameras. Every bit of information can help....why would you not have a front license plate?

They are ugly, and 100% unnecessary, and a waste of money.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

It hardly makes a difference;

Looks hideous.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882

@stickguy,
    Since the car would sit, at times over a week,, that makes sense.

My sales dude said if I didn't want the S/S to work turn on the rear defroster. He said the current draw will not let S/S work. It sounded wacky, but I tried it once and it seemed to work.

Of course, I don't want to drive around all the time with the rear defroster on, but it is interesting all the same.

It's only 2 touches on the screen to turn it off. Not a big deal.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    Well...I thought I killed another waitress this evening.

We ordered parking lot pick-up for dinner at one of our favorite places - the same place where I gave the girl a $100 tip a week, or so, ago.

Tonight the total was $28.something. I gave her a 100 dollar bill and told her to keep the change. She just stood there and mumbled something...LOL. :smile:

Those poor girls are working their tail off to try to keep the restaurant open.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

That’ll buff out.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    at least the packages are safe. So far.

• Options
    Nice job, that kind of lubrication has economic benefit - it won't be spent to buy back stock or put in trust funds.

A couple weeks ago when I was visiting in podunk, the beloved local pizza place decided to open for call in/pick up only, and it was a madhouse. First day, I couldn't get through at all - called over 160 times. Second day I started calling the second they opened, and I got through. Busy enough for a 2 hour wait for a couple pizzas, but worth it. I tipped a relatively mere $10, and the employee/waitress was visibly happy.
    venture said:

Well...I thought I killed another waitress this evening.

We ordered parking lot pick-up for dinner at one of our favorite places - the same place where I gave the girl a $100 tip a week, or so, ago.

Tonight the total was $28.something. I gave her a 100 dollar bill and told her to keep the change. She just stood there and mumbled something...LOL. :smile:

Those poor girls are working their tail off to try to keep the restaurant open.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    driver100 said:

2 day delivery seems to be a thing of the past. 1 to 4 weeks is more normal. Because of the virus a lot fewer workers processing orders. Showed a courier truck on the news, instead of 4 guys loading it only one....because of distancing.

I’ve been very pleasantly surprised that I’m still getting deliveries relatively quickly. You do have to look at the delivery time, as some items take much longer.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,562

The government must be monitoring these discussions because within an hour of complaining how my son hadn’t gotten his stimulus money I got a notice that it will be in his account on 5/28.

On behalf of the kid I want to thank the powerful movers and shakers on this forum. 🤑🤑🤑👍

I have to agree they monitor this site and because they know I cheat on my taxes they’re going to make me whistle dixie before they send me my stimulus check. :@

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,562
    driver100 said:

I received $71.45 from Progressive for five cars. The Club Sport is covered by Hagerty and is already on a low mileage collector policy.

I'd complain...only a measly $14.29 a car! :@
    And it’s going to look a lot worse when he amortizes it per day.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Still no word about coming back but, am very hope full it'll be by June 1st at this juncture. Just a feeling I've got. Figure if Hertz is back on a limited schedule, we shouldn't be too far behind. With more folks on the roads now, more fender benders will be happening. And think business travel will come back to such a degree that air traffic goes up. Plus with summer on the horizon, more camps will be opening to get those bored kids outside to use all that pent up energy.
    Oldest came in from Orlando for a few days and great to see her. Face Time works on a limited basis, but seeing someone in the flesh is so much better. And again, while talking earlier, she said this is still home to her. Luckily she's not been furloughed like others in her company so she's in good spirits. Miss seeing both girls on a regular basis to begin with, so it's been kinda rough on us all. And since she no longer lives alone, we don't feel right just going over there and getting in the way. He works from home, always has, so not fair to bring more company in the house. Think they've also found a cat sitter for a month from now which I'd prefer...I know my boss wants me here, working. At least until we get most of the vehicles back on the road. Just hoping the sitter works out!
    Glad our daughter saw all her friends and all, she was last home in October and she missed them. She came in for about 4 minutes yesterday about noon and came in today to pick up some cookies for another b b q earlier this evening. Slept at her friends last nite and was going to again tonite, as we said it's your choice. We'll have a nice breakfast tomorrow before we send her off to Orlando. We're happy for even this limited time this trip, as she's an adult and has a life. No guilt trips of any kind on our kids, just the opposite of my upbringing!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    jmonroe1 said:

The government must be monitoring these discussions because within an hour of complaining how my son hadn’t gotten his stimulus money I got a notice that it will be in his account on 5/28.

On behalf of the kid I want to thank the powerful movers and shakers on this forum. 🤑🤑🤑👍

I have to agree they monitor this site and because they know I cheat on my taxes they’re going to make me whistle dixie before they send me my stimulus check. :@

jmonroe

I thought you were so rich that you didn’t qualify. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    At least I was able to watch the Coca-Cola 600 today. I usually watch Monaco, Indy, and the 600. One year my son and I watched Monaco, drove to Indy and scored some tickets, watched the 500 and drove home in time to watch the 600.
    Our bucket list includes watching a race at every NASCAR venue. We are currently at two- Charlotte and Kentucky Speedway. I’ve driven three others, but it was before he was born- NHIS, Sonoma, and Watkins Glen. Something to shoot for.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Hey all. Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.

Enjoying some Woodford Reserve bourbon by the fire with some friends (social distanced).

Nice. People are getting antsy and want to get out. Hopefully everyone uses caution.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923
    venture said:

tjc78 said:

Hey all. Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.

Enjoying some Woodford Reserve bourbon by the fire with some friends (social distanced).

Nice. People are getting antsy and want to get out. Hopefully everyone uses caution.
    We are playing by the rules as much as possible.

I can’t say that for everyone, unfortunately

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    based on a lot of the video from the weekend at various beaches and pools, not even close.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited May 2020
    The problem is that the distancing worked a bit too well, it seems in most places. People see sick people on TV and see the statistics, but majority of citizens still don't know anybody who actually got gravely ill, so it's like with car accidents, smoking, or other causes of large number of sickness/death/injury. Everybody knows it's there, many will behave to avoid it, but many others will act like rules of conduct (any rules) and laws of science don't apply to them. I already heard so many people saying some most dumb.ss things, it's hard to imagine they could come from mouth of [non-permissible content removed] sapiens. While it's fine with smoking (kill yourself if you like), or even driving (well, there is only so much damage you can do even in a large vehicle), with a contagious disease even a single person's reckless behavior can bring a lot of misery. Like that women in Korea that knowingly went socializing and was later traced as patient zero for something like half (or so, don't remember exact number) of the cases. In that case it really takes just one dumb.ss.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2020
    driver100 said:

On Mercedes Benz vehicles, there are many, many conditions that must be met before the stop/start function engages:

Battery must be fully charged (both in some MB vehicles, start battery and auxilary battery)
    Interior temperature of the vehicle must be within 3 degrees F of the setting you entered for the HVAC
    Engine coolant must be at operating temperature, not above or below.
    Battery drainage must be within a certain limit (if you are using lots of accessories, it won't engage S/S)
    Oil temperature must be within the pre-set operating range)

All of the above affect the operation of the stop/start system. I keep my stop/start system on unless I am in heavy traffic. I then can turn off the system by depressing the button on my console. I have noticed that my s/s system does not engage very much - mainly due to the amount of time the car sits without starting during this pandemic. Also, the car is brand new and thus the batteries are not fully charged.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    abacomike said:

Also, the car is brand new and thus the batteries are not fully charged.

If the batteries aren't fully charged after a couple of 20 minute drives to the dealer and others by now, that car needs to go back for a refund. :)

The S/S system on my Malibu can't be turned off. But early posts in the forums helped determine that stopping by braking hard to slow and then letting up on the pressure on the pedal just before a dead stop kept the system from engaging. Later I learned that the dual temp control could block it because one side of the interior wasn't up to temp control requested.

Now it's rare that S/S engages. However there is a device that plugs into the ALDC where scanners are connected. It fakes the system into thinking the hood is open or some similar ruse while the car is being started, and then reverts to normal operation. Device just unplugs when car needs to go in for service. It's like the nannie devices some insurance companies want you to plug in to track your driving mannerisms.

It's available for many models. Why didn't I come up with something like that. I could be a billionaire by now.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited May 2020
    The Stinger’s S/S system is fairly innocuous. I’m sure there’s something in the owner’s manual that states the requirements for it to work. But, I didn’t seek that info out (probably should read the whole manual at some point). It starts immediately after a stop (if it stopped at all) and is relatively imperceptible.

The Acura’s is way more aggressive. You’ll know when it stops and when it starts. There are very few times it isn’t activated.

On both, you can turn it off or on. I turn it off in the Acura. It’s no problem in the Stinger, though. So, I don’t bother...unless I’m at a stop light on a 4 lane and the person next to me is acting like a jerk, in which case, I turn launch control on.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I really like this guy’s channel. I know some of you follow him, too. No histrionics...no fake drama...just a car fanatic like us.

Love what he’s done with this 944....

https://youtu.be/RX6WdJINdiE

https://youtu.be/OwlgdNwAXtw
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I enjoyed what I’ve watched so far about the 944. That flywheel job was a nightmare!!

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I enjoyed what I’ve watched so far about the 944. That flywheel job was a nightmare!!

That 944 is the exact exterior and interior color combo of the one I had in 1986, just before I bought my first Mercedes.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

abacomike said:

Also, the car is brand new and thus the batteries are not fully charged.

If the batteries aren't fully charged after a couple of 20 minute drives to the dealer and others by now, that car needs to go back for a refund. :)

The S/S system on my Malibu can't be turned off. But early posts in the forums helped determine that stopping by braking hard to slow and then letting up on the pressure on the pedal just before a dead stop kept the system from engaging. Later I learned that the dual temp control could block it because one side of the interior wasn't up to temp control requested.

Now it's rare that S/S engages. However there is a device that plugs into the ALDC where scanners are connected. It fakes the system into thinking the hood is open or some similar ruse while the car is being started, and then reverts to normal operation. Device just unplugs when car needs to go in for service. It's like the nannie devices some insurance companies want you to plug in to track your driving mannerisms.

It's available for many models. Why didn't I come up with something like that. I could be a billionaire by now.

My car needs to go back for a refund to the dealer because the batteries aren't fully charged after a short trip here and there? You are kidding, right? I have put on 199 miles on the new car in the 3 weeks I have had it. It sits in its parking space 95% of the time. I hardly go anywhere. Also remember that the car originally sat on lot at Brunswick, GA, for 8-10 weeks while the port was closed. I really don't think the batteries are fully charged yet.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I just watched the first episode on that 944. Interesting. Got the rest of the episodes queued up. But still, in the end, it is a slushbox so not worth doing.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    [non-permissible content removed] sapiens
    This made me laugh. Could be an online series about "When forum robots go bad"... :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Was drizzling this morning, so no lawn mowing today.
    Got out the power washer and cleaned the deck instead.
    Didn't really think it needed cleaning until I started, then I had to finish it
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Also, if you are using the app, it will say "battery partially charged" even if it is at 99%.

I think another condition of s/s might be a certain outside temperature, like not below a certain number (around freezing), but I can't recall. I do know it will engage with the AC on, and I can tell the difference.
    abacomike said:

My car needs to go back for a refund to the dealer because the batteries aren't fully charged after a short trip here and there? You are kidding, right? I have put on 199 miles on the new car in the 3 weeks I have had it. It sits in its parking space 95% of the time. I hardly go anywhere. Also remember that the car originally sat on lot at Brunswick, GA, for 8-10 weeks while the port was closed. I really don't think the batteries are fully charged yet.

• Options
    I would never buy a car that did not allow you to disable S/S. Fortunately the two BMWs that have it allow you to default to “Off.”

• Options
    I think there's a software hack for MB that can default it to "off". Maybe too much work for me, pressing the button isn't a big deal.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    stop/start, LOL...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    the RDX is just a button on the console. easy enough to hit it if the SS bothers me. Besides, everything else it buttons including most of the transmission buttons! Just getting it ready to move (or park it) requires fingers flying all over! Down to the left, push the E-brake button in, push the P button to put into park, then hit the ignition button. all that to stop. Though I did discover that if you turn the car off it automatically puts it into Park.

reverse all that to start up, adding hitting the auto SS button (and pushing D instead of P). Only really an issue if you aren't driving it on a regular basis though. Get used to it pretty quick. But the set-up on the TLX is quicker (and can be done without looking either).

• Options
    I think newer BMWs now default to “On.” Luckily I’ll be able to code it to “Off” if/when I get one.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289

I really like this guy’s channel. I know some of you follow him, too. No histrionics...no fake drama...just a car fanatic like us.

Love what he’s done with this 944....

I discovered this guy a few weeks ago. Have really enjoyed pretty much everything he's posted.

You're telling me other channels have more drama? Pass

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Watchjrgo’s Ford F100 is a good little series too.

It was his grandfather’s truck and he brought it back to life and installed a full EFI system on it.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289
    tjc78 said:

Watchjrgo’s Ford F100 is a good little series too.

It was his grandfather’s truck and he brought it back to life and installed a full EFI system on it.

I skipped that one, and haven't seen the rest of the R8 work that he's done.

His stuff is a good mix of mechanical work, interior, and clean up

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Oh god you don't have a loathsome personalized plate too, right?

:p

Thinking of s/s, I remember the fintail kind of had it when I bought it - it had some bad/old gas or something, and coasting/pulling up to a red light would stall the car. I quickly got the point where I could just click it into neutral and restart while moving. This went away within a week or two.

tifighter said:

stop/start, LOL...

• Options

I think newer BMWs now default to “On.” Luckily I’ll be able to code it to “Off” if/when I get one.

I'd let "The Guy" do it. :D