Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    dino001 said:

Sales guy called 2 or 3 times, urging me to come back in with the “if we, will you” pitch. I told him again, he had my figures and not to bother if they weren’t interested.

I often wondered how long it took them to either hire someone who could drive it, or to even sell it.

But your offer was clearly too low, if they didn't take it. You obviously didn't want or need that vehicle if you wouldn't raise it. by a few hundreds at least.
    Exactly!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    In my area, AKA slow plodding distracted inept timid driving gongshow, anything under 10 is probably more than adequate. People loaf and dawdle at on-ramps and often enter a 60 mph flow of traffic at 45. Even my 4 cyl diesel E-class didn't feel particularly slow (although the TT V6 is a world of difference). Heck, the fintail even keeps up with these people without real issue.
    driver100 said:

Great articles....basically 0 to 60 doesn't mean a lot. And I don't obsess about it, I just use it as a measure of power, because I want a car that gets me onto a highway, especially I-75, safely. So, anything below 6 seconds is good enough for me....no matter what measurement they use...it isn't that critical.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited June 2020
    dino001 said:

Sales guy called 2 or 3 times, urging me to come back in with the “if we, will you” pitch. I told him again, he had my figures and not to bother if they weren’t interested.

I often wondered how long it took them to either hire someone who could drive it, or to even sell it.

But your offer was clearly too low, if they didn't take it. You obviously didn't want or need that vehicle if you wouldn't raise it. by a few hundreds at least.
    Maybe! I wasn’t into their holdback. IIRC, I offered $250 over invoice. For a car that they couldn’t demo, nor even display correctly, I thought I was being fair.

What I really think happened, is they saw a mature person drive up in a Cadillac, wanting to relive his youth (probably a little truth in that) who they perceived could afford it. They wanted to sit down a grind. I don’t do that. I made my offer stipulations clear. One offer, all in, yes or no!

Obviously, it wasn’t enough, but based on their tactics to get me back in to the store and the negotiation table, it must not have been too low of an offer.

And, you’re right. I’m not serious about any car I buy until I pull out my check book. But, if I say I’ll buy it at $xx,xxx price, I will indeed be a serious buyer if they agree.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, you gave them a chance and they didn't bite. Fair enough. When they called back I would have said. " You have my offer...all I need is a yes or a no. I do not want to go back to negotiate. I need to buy a car now so my offer is good for the next two days"

Also, a lot of Sales Managers don't like a take it or leave it offer from a customers who has his arms folded and his heels dug into the ground and they will respond by doing the same thing. Had you said that you were willing to go another 200.00 he may have softened his posture...maybe not. In any event, I suspect that you weren't all that excited about the car.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited June 2020
    @graphicguy,
    Probably for the best that you didn't buy that Mustang, considering the dealership didn't have anyone that could drive a stick.
    I can picture the phone call now.
    "Mr Graphicguy, Don't worry. we have the best body guys in the business, they'll fix it up better than new". :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    I just drove on I-83 North from Baltimore to Harrisburg, PA, then west on the PA Turnpike. I saw more left lane campers than ever before. Many of them from New York state for some reason.

Man! Dangerous.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

dino001 said:

Maybe! I wasn’t into their holdback. IIRC, I offered $250 over invoice. For a car that they couldn’t demo, nor even display correctly, I thought I was being fair.

What I really think happened, is they saw a mature person drive up in a Cadillac, wanting to relive his youth (probably a little truth in that) who they perceived could afford it. They wanted to sit down a grind. I don’t do that. I made my offer stipulations clear. One offer, all in, yes or no!

Obviously, it wasn’t enough, but based on their tactics to get me back in to the store and the negotiation table, it must not have been too low of an offer.

And, you’re right. I’m not serious about any car I buy until I pull out my check book. But, if I say I’ll buy it at $xx,xxx price, I will indeed be a serious buyer if they agree.
    I guess we’ll never know the true inner workings of the car dealership. For example, I just contacted a dealer for my “special internet price” and for some strange reason I got no discussion of price at all. A mystery for sure.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

I just drove on I-83 North from Baltimore to Harrisburg, PA, then west on the PA Turnpike. I saw more left lane campers than ever before. Many of them from New York state for some reason.

Man! Dangerous.

If you lived in NY would you be in any hurry to get back?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited June 2020
    So, something slightly interesting came up today. On a leasing forum some of us frequent, I received a direct message from a user who joined 4/30, has zero posts, and has spent all of 8 min on the forum. He claims a post I made is "causing great damage" to his business, and asking if I'd be so kind as to take it down.

Hmmm...

The post he is referring to is from January 2019. Someone started a thread asking about a leasing broker website based in Illinois. I usually take these as shills trying to push their own business, so I like to dig a little (when I have time). In this particular instance, I found that one of the principals has done time for fraud in this very business. So I posted a link to his info and the article regarding his prosecution.

So I wrote back to this mystery person saying that, as recently as a Feb 2020 interview, the ex-con claims to be with the same family business for the past 35 years. If mystery man has some evidence to show that person is NOT affiliated with the company in question, I'd be more than happy to retract my statement. No response. That was 8 hours ago.

I'll leave the website name out of it for now, just in case. But the ex-con is Marc Zaransky. Quite interesting what you can find out there about this guy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    Well that is very strange.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    that is certainly more than I would have done. Which is delete the email.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

There's an iconic lady in our town, Amy, and she just recovered form Covid-19.
    She's 108. I've met her a couple of times and she's a pistol.
    Here's a link from when she was 99 talking about growing up.
    She survived getting the Spanish Flu, too!
    https://patch.com/connecticut/farmington/amy-spirito-99-remembers-the-way-it-was

There's an iconic lady in our town, Amy, and she just recovered form Covid-19.
    She's 108. I've met her a couple of times and she's a pistol.
    Here's a link from when she was 99 talking about growing up.
    She survived getting the Spanish Flu, too!
    https://patch.com/connecticut/farmington/amy-spirito-99-remembers-the-way-it-was

Good genes.

edited June 2020
    Please educate me.

As I understand it dealers hate cash buyers these days because they make profit booking loans in F&I. So sometimes you can get them to agree to a better deal on the cost of the vehicle if you finance and let them make money on the back end.

Am I correct so far?

Now when it comes to financing less expensive cars is there a point where the loan amount is so small that it’s not worth the dealer’s time? Would a dealer still want you to finance a sub $10k vehicle? Would he make any money arranging that?

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

Please educate me.

As I understand it dealers hate cash buyers these days because they make profit booking loans in F&I. So sometimes you can get them to agree to a better deal on the cost of the vehicle if you finance and let them make money on the back end.

Am I correct so far?

Now when it comes to financing less expensive cars is there a point where the loan amount is so small that it’s not worth the dealer’s time? Would a dealer still want you to finance a sub $10k vehicle? Would he make any money arranging that?

At 25%+ robbing percent they do.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Actually those high interest deals are usually for people who basically cannot get approved anywhere else. The banks that offer them require the dealer to throw a lot of money at the bank to take the deal - several thousand typically.
    edited June 2020
    sda said:

Please educate me.

Am I correct so far?

At 25%+ robbing percent they do.
    I’m not really talking about mouse house (kudos to whoever coined that phrase) financing. I mean brand name new car dealers who might have a few cheaper cars around the lot. You know, grandma trades her 10 yo Buick and they figure it’s too nice to wholesale.

I’m also talking about a good credit score buyer financing a smaller loan.

BHPH - sell you a vehicle you can't afford, repo it and sell it again to someone else who can't afford it.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

Please educate me.

Am I correct so far?

Make it up on volume..........using the Driver amortized rationalized analysis program, 10 high interest loans of $10000 each can really add up.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

BHPH - sell you a vehicle you can't afford, repo it and sell it again to someone else who can't afford it.

My Uncle ran a BHPH lot. In house financing paid by the week.

If something major went wrong with the car, many times the owner would trade it in on something else.

My Uncle would fix the car and put it back for sale again.

Rinse and repeat. So many times I’d visit him on his lot and be like “Didn’t you sell that XXX?”... his answer “yeah but it’s back again”

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

so basically he was running a rental car lot.

Sometimes, yes. He also would at times do the repairs and tack it onto the weekly payments.

He did have some nice stuff and also did traditional financing.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited June 2020
    tjc78 said:

Sometimes, yes. He also would at times do the repairs and tack it onto the weekly payments.

He did have some nice stuff and also did traditional financing.

Did you ever buy or work for him? I’m sure he had stories to tell.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Well, you gave them a chance and they didn't bite. Fair enough. When they called back I would have said. " You have my offer...all I need is a yes or a no. I do not want to go back to negotiate. I need to buy a car now so my offer is good for the next two days"

Also, a lot of Sales Managers don't like a take it or leave it offer from a customers who has his arms folded and his heels dug into the ground and they will respond by doing the same thing. Had you said that you were willing to go another 200.00 he may have softened his posture...maybe not. In any event, I suspect that you weren't all that excited about the car.

I think you’re right. They perceived me as dug in. They (the Sales Manager) did the same as a result. And, probably a hundred or two may have made the deal. But, I put my best offer out there, and they didn’t bite. So, to sell, to me, on that given day, it wasn’t going to happen. I was dug in, and so were they.

As luck would have it, I bought the Cobra Convertible a couple of weeks later. Clearly I was in buying mode.
    One of my friends used to own one of the biggest BHPH lots in Cincinnati. He had stories on the flip side of the car business. Interesting characters who buy cars that way.

And, that’s how they do business. Buy running, but well worn vehicles at auction, clean them up. Throw a (used) battery or tires on it, if needed and sell it, repossess it, and do it all again. He once told me the least mileage on a vehicle he had on his lot was around 125K miles. Like police depts, he loved Crown Vics as he could keep them running for around 300K miles and then part them out.

He once had a lady who wouldn’t let his repo guy have the car she had missed 3 payments on. I asked how she stopped him. He said she decided to sleep in the car naked. The repo guy was afraid if what he’d be accused of if he towed it.
    Yes there are definitely stories. I know he had a repo guy on retainer.

I never worked for him, but stopped by often as it was local to me.

tjc78 said:

Rinse and repeat. So many times I’d visit him on his lot and be like “Didn’t you sell that XXX?”... his answer “yeah but it’s back again”
    That is a great business model.....nothing like repeat business. You don't have to find new customers, constant source of income.

Once a friend took his gas mower in to the repair guy, for about the 3rd time. The mower repair guy said there was no way to get it going.....and he sold him a new one.
    My friend went back 2 weeks later to buy something else, there was the old mower in front of the store.....For Sale!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

@graphicguy,
    Probably for the best that you didn't buy that Mustang, considering the dealership didn't have anyone that could drive a stick.
    I can picture the phone call now.
    "Mr Graphicguy, Don't worry. we have the best body guys in the business, they'll fix it up better than new". :D

REminds of a local Sears store which let a friend's Silverado fall off the alignment rack. Huh?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

qbrozen said:

So, something slightly interesting came up today. On a leasing forum some of us frequent, I received a direct message from a user who joined 4/30, has zero posts, and has spent all of 8 min on the forum. He claims a post I made is "causing great damage" to his business, and asking if I'd be so
    I'll leave the website name out of it for now, just in case. But the ex-con is Marc Zaransky. Quite interesting what you can find out there about this guy.

Marc sounds like quite a character;
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-businessman-fraud-sentencing-20150730-story.html
    If anything happens to you Q we will tell the proper authorities who to check out.

nice looking car. certainly not used much! should be good candidate for piling on Uber miles.

I think you’re right. They perceived me as dug in. They (the Sales Manager) did the same as a result. And, probably a hundred or two may have made the deal. But, I put my best offer out there, and they didn’t bite. So, to sell, to me, on that given day, it wasn’t going to happen. I was dug in, and so were they.

As luck would have it, I bought the Cobra Convertible a couple of weeks later. Clearly I was in buying mode.
    I thought of you today when I bought my son a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL with sunroof, leather, heated seats etc. 29k miles. They wanted $8900, I said $8150. I got some push back along the lines of “we got too much into it” and “we can’t cut it that much”. I told them that they could take my offer or not but we’d still be friends either way. Finally they agreed. We pick it up on Tuesday.

Looks like a great car. Congrats!
    Nice find. Congrats

We stopped for coffee on the way home and found this:

TTs as far as the eye could see.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    From the Dept of Ironic Occurrences: A little while ago I got an email from Dell, asking about my experiences with my now 6-month old laptop. It had the usual "check all that apply" type of likely answers to their questions. Somewhere well into it it had a question about whether you had any problems with the laptop. I did, with a low sound volume level compared to other laptops I had. At the time I went online both to Dell and otherwise to look for a fix, and never found anything that worked.

So I indicated that in the survey and respond "No" to the question of whether I was able to resolve the problem. At that point the survey simply froze - no way to continue, no way to submit the completed survey, no way to exit, nothing short of closing out the browser window entirely. Nice.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

I thought of you today when I bought my son a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL with sunroof, leather, heated seats etc. 29k miles. They wanted $8900, I said $8150. I got some push back along the lines of “we got too much into it” and “we can’t cut it that much”. I told them that they could take my offer or not but we’d still be friends either way. Finally they agreed. We pick it up on Tuesday.

Only if they don’t sell it for more by then. It’s happened before and I’m sure you’ve heard of that. If I were you I’d go get it NOW and I’m serious about this.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

NICE!🤓

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:

From the Dept of Ironic Occurrences: A little while ago I got an email from Dell, asking about my experiences with my now 6-month old laptop. It had the usual "check all that apply" type of likely answers to their questions. Somewhere well into it it had a question about whether you had any problems with the laptop. I did, with a low sound volume level compared to other laptops I had. At the time I went online both to Dell and otherwise to look for a fix, and never found anything that worked.

So I indicated that in the survey and respond "No" to the question of whether I was able to resolve the problem. At that point the survey simply froze - no way to continue, no way to submit the completed survey, no way to exit, nothing short of closing out the browser window entirely. Nice.

That’ll learn ya’ to not badmouth the company.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the marketing department was tasked with finding out the reason for slumping sales and rigged the system to cut off any negative comments. They could then go to the boss and say gee, everybody loves us. No problems here.

jmonroe1 said:

Only if they don’t sell it for more by then. It’s happened before and I’m sure you’ve heard of that. If I were you I’d go get it NOW and I’m serious about this.

jmonroe
    Well, they already took it off their website and the Internet listing services so I don’t think so. Funny though, I had trouble connecting with the salesman on the way there this morning and I immediately thought of that.

@oldfarmer50,
    Congrats to you and your son.
    I couldn't find the car on their website either.

'Grats on your son's punch. That's a very nice car that's been barely used.

As my Father used to always say, "if you don't ask, you don't get". That's how I negotiate for cars.
    Since I have time on my hands these days, I was wondering if any car dealerships allow sales people to work part time? @roadburner, do you know? @isellhondas Craig, do you know?

I wouldn't want to work the crazy retail hours. Maybe 2 to 3 days/week.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

Since I have time on my hands these days, I was wondering if any car dealerships allow sales people to work part time? @roadburner, do you know? @isellhondas Craig, do you know?

I think it depends on the dealer; BMW let me work part-time, but I handled more than sales.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Looks like a great car. Congrats!
    Yea, great looking car OF. I actually like that previous design more than the newer design. Looks great.
    Hard to sell it out from you if you made a down payment and have a contract. Of course, if the down payment is only $20 or something they'll sell it out from under you.
    Not even JMonroe would have the nerve to go that much under asking price.

'Grats on your son's punch. That's a very nice car that's been barely used.

As my Father used to always say, "if you don't ask, you don't get". That's how I negotiate for cars.
    ....and how many dealers have you been booted out of?

When the car rental companies come back on line you could work 20 hrs. a week for one of them. Chatting with the guys, driving every imaginable car and eating at a different spot every day...what could be better?

Well, maybe getting paid more.......😢😢😢

@oldfarmer50,
    One good thing for your son is that generation of Fusion has more rear headroom than the current version.

probably hard in a dealership. plus they want nights and weekends. My thought for when I am in your situation (assuming I get there before I am 80!) is a high end used car place. something that sells Porsche, etc. probably a lot more internet and less volume, but less pressure. do a lot of work from home.

@oldfarmer50,
    One good thing for your son is that generation of Fusion has more rear headroom than the current version.

We noticed that too. A little more boxy than swoopy.

stickguy said:

probably hard in a dealership. plus they want nights and weekends. My thought for when I am in your situation (assuming I get there before I am 80!) is a high end used car place. something that sells Porsche, etc. probably a lot more internet and less volume, but less pressure. do a lot of work from home.
    The trouble is that those upscale store usually hire experienced salespeople. A newbie probably will only hired by low end places and be out in the rain smoking cigarettes and waiting for ups. I’ve delivered to some of those high pressure stores and it’s not pretty.