Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

All the used ones I've run across have been oddballs- strange color combos, no H-K, etc. I did find something way out in left field, but I won't disclose it just yet...

PM me? :smile:
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    suydam said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

The two guys who were in it were doing their best impression of rednecks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

That's a perjorative term. Like China Virus might be to some.

Somebody better tell Jeff Foxworthy.
    Generally it’s okay to use a term like that if you’re from that group, because then you own it and it’s not a slur. That’s how Foxworthy uses it. If you’re not, best to avoid. Then you’re tarring someone with a well known put down. As a Jew, we have lots of in jokes amongst ourselves that would be highly Offensive if outsiders said them. This should not be a hard concept to grasp.
    Great explanation.......but, I don't think Foxworthy really grew up as a redneck.
    Early Life
    Comedian, radio personality and talk show host Jeffrey Marshall Foxworthy was born on September 6, 1958, in Atlanta, Georgia. Foxworthy himself is from the South, but his father was a computer executive at IBM, and the family lived in the suburb of Hapeville, Georgia. Foxworthy claims that although his father had a high-level professional job, he displayed many of the traits Foxworthy would later describe as being "redneck."

But, he did develop his act around what he saw and the people he observed.
    Maybe part of the reason he gets away with it is it is so over the top, you know it is exaggerated.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Before I grew up my dad always settled every "that's-not-fair" complaint with, "Yeah and water's wet."
    He splained that to me more than once.

Before I got married I had a GF who once told me, "It's not a fair it's a carnival!"
    She only had to say that just one time and I let it go.

Now I think we'll never again tolerate a leader who says, "Life is not fair."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    venture said:

I was on my way home from Maryland on the PA turnpike, just west of Carlisle when this passed me. The two guys who were in it were doing their best impression of rednecks.

A little later I saw another one in yellow being driven by a female. It looked completely stock.

A red coronet R/T convertible was on a flatbed a few miles later. Looked like a "67. The taillights were the whole was across the back and had about a gazillion vertical chrome bars.

Looked like this only red with a black top.

I looked and Chrysler Nationals was this weekend.

Those 68-70’ Chargers were timeless in their styling. Probably the only car that I have loved since I was 16.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

I wish they had blown the horn when they passed since I gave them a "thumbs up". Everything else looked General Lee.

“Ding-dong”....’80s are calling!!!!! LOL! Unfortunately, some took that TV show literally, and still do. Someone should tell them it wasn’t factual!
    Most of the yeahoos aren’t driving Mopars any more.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    That Coronet convertible made me think of this Plymouth equivalent:

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    There must have been a sale on BMW's over the weekend.

Yesterday, driving on I-83 from Baltimore to Harrisburg, I either passed or they passed me, 5 750i's with temp tags.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

venture said:

I wish they had blown the horn when they passed since I gave them a "thumbs up". Everything else looked General Lee.

“Ding-dong”....’80s are calling!!!!! LOL! Unfortunately, some took that TV show literally, and still do. Someone should tell them it wasn’t factual!
    Isn't "yeahoos" denigrating a group of people? :p

fintail said:

My favorite Coronet was the 69’ with the triple tail lights.

The Welland Canal is about 30 miles from me.....takes ships from Lake Erie into Lake Ontario.
    This is what happened this weekend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5Fp0sbezo
    How could two ships collide like that? Don't they have sonar things like most cars do these days?
    What were the pilots - captains doing?
    Where are they going to apply for new jobs?
    Do you think it will just buff out?

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    fintail said:

Tommy Boy, good movie. They really trashed that Plymouth.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    No official updates on the cause of the collision but one has to assume it was a mechanical failure of some sort. Either that or whomever was at the helm of the Florence Spirit was smoking the really good stuff.

Not a shot here at you @driver100 but for a long long time I have found the various "buff out" comments to have gone from mildly amusing to unfunny to really unfunny and tiresome to downright aggravating. If there is ever a vote on whether to retire that line, put me down for a yes.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Does look like someone screwed up. But damage not actually looking too bad. At least not going to sink from it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

I have found the various "buff out" comments to have gone from mildly amusing to unfunny to really unfunny and tiresome to downright aggravating. If there is ever a vote on whether to retire that line, put me down for a yes.

I agree about the buff out line. The guy on the radio used it but his listeners haven't heard it 1000 times.

In tennis doubles, when our opponent double faults and our receiver gets an easy point......guys would say, I got my point, now you get yours - we made a rule not to say that any more....got tired.

Can we say "Better see Makko"

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    No brakes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

Does look like someone screwed up. But damage not actually looking too bad. At least not going to sink from it!

Those things dont turn or stop on a dime. The red ship is sitting high in the water (carrying a very light load) so it has a a greater chance of getting damage below the waterline. It's not so much as the amount of damage but the location, remember the Titanic had a relatively small gash from that iceberg.

nyccarguy said:

driver100 said:

The Welland Canal is about 30 miles from me.....takes ships from Lake Erie into Lake Ontario.
    This is what happened this weekend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5Fp0sbezo
    How could two ships collide like that? Don't they have sonar things like most cars do these days?
    What were the pilots - captains doing?
    Where are they going to apply for new jobs?
    Do you think it will just buff out?

Hilarious!

kyfdx said:

No brakes

The fastest way to stop a ship is to put the engines in full reverse, only takes a second. Many ships can be stopped from full speed in two ship lengths, but considering the lengths of ships that's a long distance.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Holy-Moly....how on earth do those ships not steer clear of each other given the water way is large? Has to be mechanical failure. But, even there, at least one of the ships should have been able to steer clear of the one with the steering failure. Would love to hear the cause of this.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Holy-Moly....how on earth do those ships not steer clear of each other given the water way is large? Has to be mechanical failure. But, even there, at least one of the ships should have been able to steer clear of the one with the steering failure. Would love to hear the cause of this.

Looks like the Florence Spirit crossed in front of the other ship. Ships typically pass port to port. It sounds like there are five horn blasts from someone signaling danger but it doesn't sound loud enough, could just be bad sound on the video.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited July 2020

I disagree with the author’s clickbait premise that greed caused the collapse. A few dozens of millions spread around the upper management was a drop in the bucket compared to $20 billion in debt. What was the alternative, let all your executives jump ship and leave the company in turmoil. Like it or not $10-20 million in compensation for a CEO is routine these days. If they had turned things around they would have been heroes.

The "greed" portion was mostly outrageous $1B dividend (paid from debt) after the buyout, it crippled the company before it could start working on its improvement. Upper management's pay is just a small part that facilitates these moves. Icahn's practice of gutting company's assets didn't help either. That guy was never into any kind of business, all he does is make those "metric-based" improvements that result in larger fragility of a company and it almost always ends in tears, usually after he sells (this time he just was caught before he could sell).

Overleveraging is common practice in business, usually happens in good times, when all investors ask for is another dollar of earnings, even if it comes at cost of increased risk. There is "Efficient capital" paradigm in large corporations, which are run by people who focus on current financial metrics above everything else. It's basically mortal sin to keep any money on the books for exogenous events, because it messes up with those metrics (larger hard assets or cash mean higher denominator in many of those "return" metrics, i.e. lower nominal performance). Even though we have something big happening pretty much every ten years, every time it happens executives act like "who knew things will get hard again".

2018 430i Gran Coupe

ab348 said:

In one breath he criticizes them for leasing their fleet, then he goes on to talk about how they leveraged the fleet assets to borrow money. You can't do that if you don't own the fleet, so what is it?

It actually is possible. You create two entities under one umbrella - one operational (leases the vehicles) and one financial (acts as a lessor). This way you keep two things separate in terms of financial performance. I don't know if that was the case for Hertz. Also, Hertz might have bought part of its fleet and leased from outside another part.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

abacomike said:

A few million or two would be appropriate, but the amount corporations dole out to top executives is usually 60-100 million dollars in bonuses which is ludicrous and outrageous while working peons slave on the line to make those billions in profits.

I agree - there is no personal service worth 60 million dollars per year, period. One can make as much in investments, as the risk will be commensurate, but in terms of employment services, no. These are arbitrary values derived from market value of the entity, basically working almost like a "commission". Most contracts also has such performance metrics that the bonuses are practically guaranteed. It's like a labor union for executives.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited July 2020
    Still can't believe @breld sold his rebel blue V60 Polestar. These cars bring absolutely stupid money.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3pm82ewn/2016-volvo-s60-t6-polestar

EDIT: Meant to post this in CCBA, but still a cool car for here!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    “I agree - there is no personal service worth 60 million dollars per year, period.”

Does that also apply to professional sports figures and actors?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    carnaught said:

“I agree - there is no personal service worth 60 million dollars per year, period.”

And let's not forget Elon...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

That is nice. I would even accept the black interior on that car! Pretty similar to my TLX with the leather/suede combo seats.

ab348 said:

carnaught said:

And let's not forget Elon...
    I’m actually wearing an Elon T shirt right now! Just not that Elon.

edited July 2020
    carnaught said:

Yes. If they provide equity at some point of the production, or if they get royalties for the particular entertainment product, they could make whatever they want to, but as an actual service, no, I don't think they're worth it.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    fintail said:

That is “rednecking” at it’s finest.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    carnaught said:

Pro Sports Athletes and Actors are paid partially based on their abilities. There are only a certain select few that can hit a round ball with a round bat travelling at them in excess of 90 mph. If you think about it, they are paid upon projected sales (tickets, merchandising, endorsements) just like any other sales person. They have a base salary and can achieve bonuses based on certain qualifications (At Bats, Innings Pitched, Hitting a certain amount of Home Runs...). Their employers have DEEP pockets. Chris Rock once said: "Shaq is rich. The guy who signs his paycheck is wealthy."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited July 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

fintail said:

jmonroe

That was a movie, this is rednecking at its finest.

Looks like JRGOs Passat wagon convertible conversion!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

jmonroe1 said:

fintail said:

jmonroe

That was a movie, this is rednecking at its finest.

Hey @ab348, that won’t buff out either.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

stickguy said:

I bet a 4 door is lighter and stiffer than a 2 door also.

If a coupe has a B pillar there shouldn't be any difference in torsional stiffness; in my experience with BMWs I've found that any weight difference is a function of how the car is optioned.
    stickguy said:

If not having a moonroof for that reason is important, should be a reason to get a 4 door!

The reason I don't like sunroofs is because they add @65 pounds to the highest point on the car- and in the case of the M3 or M4 it's even worse- because a hole in the roof replaces the CF roof with steel...

4-doors add weight as compared to 2-doors because doors are heavy and 4 > 2. Granted, the coupe usually has bigger doors, but not twice as big or heavy.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited July 2020
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I bet a 4 door is lighter and stiffer than a 2 door also.

If a coupe has a B pillar there shouldn't be any difference in torsional stiffness; in my experience with BMWs I've found that any weight difference is a function of how the car is optioned.
    stickguy said:

If not having a moonroof for that reason is important, should be a reason to get a 4 door!

The reason I don't like sunroofs is because they add @65 pounds to the highest point on the car- and in the case of the M3 or M4 it's even worse- because a hole in the roof replaces the CF roof with steel...

65 pounds really isn't a lot if you're discussing cars that can weigh over 2 tons.
    That's a good point.

Assuming a curb weight of 3500 pounds, 65 lbs. is less than 2% of the total weight.

How much does that really raise the center of gravity - less than an inch? I'd guess that 99% or more of the driving population wouldn't know - or care - about that.

And for the remaining 1%, your last name would have to be Senna or Earnhardt to really have it matter.
    2% more weight can mean 2% more wear on everything, from brake pads to the suspension to the tires. Can also reduce fuel economy.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    I think the point he's making is that for the 99% of drivers they aren't going to notice or care about such things. The desire to have an open roof experience at their convenience outweighs such cons.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    jmonroe1 said:

When I was young I fancied myself as a television repair guy. When I was about 14, I got pretty good about pulling out tubes, putting them in a sack and taking them to the nearby supermarket where they had a tube testing machine...I know...SOME of you must remember these! I would quickly learn which tube had failed and much to the joy of the rest of the family, the old black and white Magnavox would live again!

I knew what tubes were but I didn't know what a capacatior was nor did I know that they could store electricity even when the set had been unplugged for over an hour. Well. one day I found out....BIG TIME and that ended my career in electronics. that is until I got my Ham radio.

And heaven help you if you didn’t discharge the connection to the picture tube (CRT) before you tried to remove the high voltage wire from it. Same thing when you wanted to remove the horizontal output tube that was in the vented high voltage cage usually located at the bottom right corner of the chassis. An old time TV repair man showed me a black mark burned though one of his fingers under the nail as proof that you better not forget to discharge these circuits before working on them or removing the tube. That finger looked pretty bad even after years since he forgot, ONCE. :'(

jmonroe

When I was a kid working in a gas station we used to charge up condensers. Just jam the clip into the end of a spark plug wire, start the car and hold the can about a quarter inch from the engine block for about thirty seconds.

I charged one up and laid it on the workbench. I learned several new words in Italian when my bosses father in law happened to pick it up! He swore loudly and bounced up and down for a good ten seconds. Good thing my boss never told him how it happened to get charged up. Another time, I got myself when I fiddled with one while on the telephone. So many things we cant do with modern cars!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Guess I'm glad I left Hertz before their bankruptcy. Enterprise does seem to be the better company to work for from my limited time there. Very happy I did the switch!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Don't forget the front marker plate will make the car more nose heavy. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Another good reason every State should be a 1 license plate State. Think of all the saved aluminum from making duplicate plates! Save the planet!
    andres3 said:

Another good reason every State should be a 1 license plate State. Think of all the saved aluminum from making duplicate plates! Save the planet!
    also, less weight on the front end for getting around turns :D

andres3 said:

Not really as the weight of the front plate counters the weight of the back plate. Front plates keeps the car balanced.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    My favorite Coronet was the 69’ with the triple tail lights.

That's a only reflector in the middle. You don't see them on the street like it used to be, so most people have never seen that the brake lights only lit up on each side. It used to be a minor quibble among Mopar fans about the fake tail light and I knew a guy in HS who took the middle reflector off to repaint his RT. And after it was finished I think he just left it off, threw it away, something.

Again one of those things you wouldn't do today when clean, stock appearance is extremely important to most muscle car fans.

Here's a video of another RT guy who removed the reflector piece. At 1:55 the 70s time warp begins. :smile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8vBk-FRdYA
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Cool idea with the 3 lights but I think 2 lights actually look better. Some things are meant to be only in pairs :)

driver100 said:

venture said:

Isn't "yeahoos" denigrating a group of people? :p
    Almost every word will offend somebody somewhere.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    The best part is if they lead a change and actually create profit, they effectively get a winning lottery ticket. Fine, they did something that worked, and reap the rewards. But if they mess up or are ineffective, there's almost always an undeserved golden parachute at the next regime change. All reward, no real risk (or better - privatized profit, socialized risk), and as so much of that sector is a good old boy's club in terms of both approving the windfalls and doing the hiring, they'll eventually find something else. Not just like a labor union, but trying to mimic some of the worst abuses of that system with none of the benefits that have helped actual people.
    dino001 said:

I agree - there is no personal service worth 60 million dollars per year, period. One can make as much in investments, as the risk will be commensurate, but in terms of employment services, no. These are arbitrary values derived from market value of the entity, basically working almost like a "commission". Most contracts also has such performance metrics that the bonuses are practically guaranteed. It's like a labor union for executives.