Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

The robocallers that try to sell you their car warranty because yours has expired... can get really desperate.
    Next is halloween candy.

I've answered the phone a few times when I saw it lit up on a silenced call. I expected
    political polls to be the caller--they're fun to listen to the pattern of their questions and
    predict their goal. But they have been the panicked people trying to save me from owning
    a car without a warranty.

I know that by answering I'm getting my number on a list of those who do answer.

„This is the last notice” - can you promise?? Please, please, be last notice.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited September 2020
    qbrozen said:

Last one called and I grilled her about who she works for, what is their web address, etc. She just kept repeating “extended warranty company.” About the 5th time I asked for a web address, she hung up..

I think these aren’t real extended warranty companies, most likely some kind of phishing scammers for a credit card number.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    @28firefighter
    Big congrats!! Sounds like a great opportunity. Best of luck.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2020
    On my way home from the Apple Store this afternoon in Boca Raton (yes, Apple opened today by appointment only for sales a service) I noticed my car's battery's warning light pop up. I went into MB service and they tested the starter battery and the regular accessory battery and both were fine. They checked the alternator and that too was fine. So they had to do a full reset because the warning light refused to go out.

If the warning light comes on again, they will need to have the car brought back so they can try to further diagnose it. It did not come back on after the reset.

BTW, I was at the Apple Store because I was having problems with my iPhone 8+ speakers and microphone. After doing diagnostics, they found the speakers and microphone to be defective. Luckily I had Apple Care + on the phone. Do they replaced it with a new iPhone 8+. Apple sure does a great job in backing their products.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    should have taken advantage of upgrading to a new model while they were doing it. But if you like the 8 and they are still supporting it for a few more years, probably just as good to not have to learn new features!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978
    stickguy said:

should have taken advantage of upgrading to a new model while they were doing it. But if you like the 8 and they are still supporting it for a few more years, probably just as good to not have to learn new features!

I got an iPhone 8 Plus as my work phone some months back. Cost me $119.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,931
    dino001 said:

qbrozen said:

Last one called and I grilled her about who she works for, what is their web address, etc. She just kept repeating “extended warranty company.” About the 5th time I asked for a web address, she hung up..

I think these aren’t real extended warranty companies, most likely some kind of phishing scammers for a credit card number.
    Oh I know. I just like to harass them sometimes. As long as I keep them on the phone, they can’t use that time to scam others. I had one the other day where the automated message kept repeating rather than hanging up from nonresponse. So I set the phone down and let it keep going. It finally hung up after 5 or 6 cycles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    I tried www.extendedwarrantcompany.com. It's an available domain name. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    abacomike said:

If the warning light comes on again, they will need to have the car brought back so they can try to further diagnose it. It did not come back on after the reset.

That reminds me. It rained the other day and I had the wipers going.....I truly couldn't hear any wiper noises. The car has 22000 miles on it, I don't think they ever made a noise. I wonder what would happen if you test drove an E400 in the rain....see if the wipers are quiet...if they are transfer them on to your car :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I got an iPhone 8 Plus as my work phone some months back. Cost me $119.
    My work gave me an iPhone 7 for working from home. I prefer the Samsung Galaxy.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

qbrozen said:

dino001 said:

qbrozen said:

Oh I know. I just like to harass them sometimes. As long as I keep them on the phone, they can’t use that time to scam others. I had one the other day where the automated message kept repeating rather than hanging up from nonresponse. So I set the phone down and let it keep going. It finally hung up after 5 or 6 cycles.
    I just let calls from numbers not in my contact list go to voicemail, if its important they will leave a message. Unfortunately I cannot do that with my work cell phone. :(

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

The robocallers that try to sell you their car warranty because yours has expired... can get really desperate.
    Next is halloween candy.

I've answered the phone a few times when I saw it lit up on a silenced call. I expected
    political polls to be the caller--they're fun to listen to the pattern of their questions and
    predict their goal. But they have been the panicked people trying to save me from owning
    a car without a warranty.

I know that by answering I'm getting my number on a list of those who do answer.

Another reason to not take candy from strangers. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I took my PCR Test yesterday, and now, I am eagerly awaiting my test result. If the test is negative then I fly out to Boston tomorrow. Whoopi!..not really... Frankly, I hate the idea of leaving paradise for a two-week quarantine in Boston. But us married guys don't always have the freedom to do what we want.

Speaking of the PCR test, I cannot look back on that procedure with undiluted pleasure. The doc shoved a long swab down my nostrils all the way to the back of my head. A yellow jacket sting in that area would be a more pleasant experience. But wait, there's more....A second and longer swab was shoved down my throat but this time with surprisingly no discomfort. What a relief!

qbrozen said:

dino001 said:

qbrozen said:

I just let calls from numbers not in my contact list go to voicemail, if its important they will leave a message. Unfortunately I cannot do that with my work cell phone. :(
    That has often been my method, but I have had a lot of deliveries recently for my home projects, and those guys call from cell phones on the road. It is rather annoying. I also have a large number of numbers and names on my block list on the home phone. One of the nice features of Ooma is being able to look at all calls online and block however/whatever you want.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

qbrozen said:

dino001 said:

qbrozen said:

I have been officially and really retired since early 2015 (as opposed to being officially retired as far as my employer was concerned since the first of 1997 but worked as a consultant with them till 2015). Anyway, this was at a very large engineering company and they had a pretty sophisticated phone block blocking system but sometimes a pretty sophisticated bad guy got through their system. One day not too long before I retired I got a call from one of those extended warranty companies. As soon as I picked up the phone the caller was there (didn’t have the typical delay as those calls usually have). When I told the guy I just bought a car and had a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty (I lied just to get rid of him), the guy didn’t miss a beat and immediately said, “no problem, we can extend it beyond that”. I think a lot of these extended warranty company people would have been a little surprised by my response and would have paused for a second or two before giving me their pitch. When I think back on that call I shouldn’t have been too surprised because if that company could crack the phone blocking code of my company, they probably had callers that were a cut above the run of the mill outfits.

FWIW, I think the caller ID that can be displayed on your TV, if you elect to do that, is just a notch below a DVR on the ‘better than sliced bread curve’.

Another FWIW, when I’m not watching TV and I get a call, I never say, “hello” twice. When you call and I answer you better not studder because I’ll have hung up by then. Everyone in my family knows this and are prepared to speak immediately when I answer. Mrs. j has often said I’m a very impatient person. I’ll take that since that’s one the nicer things she has said about me.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

In a market like that, cashing out to downsize is a wonderful idea. But only if you are leaving the area for someplace cheap.

That is our problem. We've been here for 34 years and it's just the two of us now. It's a very nice house but it has stairs that we are constantly going up and down up and down. We really don't want to leave the area but if we sold it for a million for this and bought the one fintail showed it wouldn't be worth it! Now if it were 400.000 that would be a different story. Everything is so screwed up now who knows what to do. Our RE agent who is a first class agent says the consensus is if Biden gets elected the Stock Market and RE markets will crash. Not trying to make this political. Who really knows?
    edited September 2020
    Every now and again I get someone who when I answer state that they are calling me on a recorded line. As soon as they say that I say that I do not consent to having the phone call recorded, they hang up right after I say that. B)

stickguy said:

In a market like that, cashing out to downsize is a wonderful idea. But only if you are leaving the area for someplace cheap.

That is our problem. We've been here for 34 years and it's just the two of us now. It's a very nice house but it has stairs that we are constantly going up and down up and down. We really don't want to leave the area but if we sold it for a million for this and bought the one fintail showed it wouldn't be worth it! Now if it were 400.000 that would be a different story. Everything is so screwed up now who knows what to do. Our RE agent who is a first class agent says the consensus is if Biden gets elected the Stock Market and RE markets will crash. Not trying to make this political. Who really knows?
    We live in a 2400 sqft home where we only use half the house so several years ago we decided to down size. To get a decent house and make it worth the move we would have to move into a much smaller townhome. But then again I live an area where the home that Fintail showed would be one quarter that price.

Here is what $800K (or slightly more) will get you near my home.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13108-Blue-Heron-Cv-Plainfield-IL-60585/61232517_zpid/?

bwia said:

I took my PCR Test yesterday, and now, I am eagerly awaiting my test result. If the test is negative then I fly out to Boston tomorrow. Whoopi!..not really... Frankly, I hate the idea of leaving paradise for a two-week quarantine in Boston. But us married guys don't always have the freedom to do what we want.

Speaking of the PCR test, I cannot look back on that procedure with undiluted pleasure. The doc shoved a long swab down my nostrils all the way to the back of my head. A yellow jacket sting in that area would be a more pleasant experience. But wait, there's more....A second and longer swab was shoved down my throat but this time with surprisingly no discomfort. What a relief!

According to the New York Times even if you test positive you have a 90% chance of being non infectious.

On another topic, could the guy who posted here recently with all the Porsches be Hoovie in disguise?

https://youtu.be/c0kcysfA8n4

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    edited September 2020
    The experts predicted the same thing when 45 was elected, and instead we have an overinflated carnival market (but nice to see my 401K is faring well enough even in the new great recession). RE agents are good at selling, not sure what else. Stock and RE markets are poor indicators of economic health when it comes to real people.

If I had been able to buy in locally when the lucky ones could do so, and could work remotely forever, I'd be outta here probably for points east, buy a nicer place for half the price and bank/"invest" (in a few cars, perhaps) the rest.

Another one not far from me that would be insane elsewhere but seems suspiciously cheap to me - great area, kind of cool funky house nicely sited, etc. If it was in 98004 it would probably be around twice as much.

Cheapest house in 98004, and it's a teardown

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Can we please take a left turn away from politics? Never ends well.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Who really knows?

Nobody

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

fintail said:

The experts predicted the same thing when 45 was elected, and instead we have an overinflated carnival market (but nice to see my 401K is faring well enough even in the new great recession). RE agents are good at selling, not sure what else. Stock and RE markets are poor indicators of economic health when it comes to real people.

If I had been able to buy in locally when the lucky ones could do so, and could work remotely forever, I'd be outta here probably for points east, buy a nicer place for half the price and bank/"invest" (in a few cars, perhaps) the rest.

Another one not far from me that would be insane elsewhere but seems suspiciously cheap to me - great area, kind of cool funky house nicely sited, etc. If it was in 98004 it would probably be around twice as much.

I know that there are places with insane real estate prices like that. But I don't know how the average person can afford to live there.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

bwia said:

According to the New York Times even if you test positive you have a 90% chance of being non infectious.

On another topic, could the guy who posted here recently with all the Porsches be Hoovie in disguise?/>

Just picked up my PCR test result and it is Negative.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    Talking about the outcome of political events is just as irritating as seeing all the amateur meteorologists and weather geeks on social media predicting The End Of The World Is Nigh every time a cloud formation appears off the coast of Africa. I try to avoid all of it as much as possible.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

fintail said:

I know that there are places with insane real estate prices like that. But I don't know how the average person can afford to live there.
    they can't. At least not if they didn't buy before the boom, so riding the appreciation train!

Can we please take a left turn away from politics? Never ends well.

Why not a right turn, or just a turn?

I think it was the right turn at Albuquerque that got us here :D
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

dino001 said:

qbrozen said:

I have been officially and really retired since early 2015 (as opposed to being officially retired as far as my employer was concerned since the first of 1997 but worked as a consultant with them till 2015). Anyway, this was at a very large engineering company and they had a pretty sophisticated phone block blocking system but sometimes a pretty sophisticated bad guy got through their system. One day not too long before I retired I got a call from one of those extended warranty companies. As soon as I picked up the phone the caller was there (didn’t have the typical delay as those calls usually have). When I told the guy I just bought a car and had a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty (I lied just to get rid of him), the guy didn’t miss a beat and immediately said, “no problem, we can extend it beyond that”. I think a lot of these extended warranty company people would have been a little surprised by my response and would have paused for a second or two before giving me their pitch. When I think back on that call I shouldn’t have been too surprised because if that company could crack the phone blocking code of my company, they probably had callers that were a cut above the run of the mill outfits.

FWIW, I think the caller ID that can be displayed on your TV, if you elect to do that, is just a notch below a DVR on the ‘better than sliced bread curve’.

Another FWIW, when I’m not watching TV and I get a call, I never say, “hello” twice. When you call and I answer you better not studder because I’ll have hung up by then. Everyone in my family knows this and are prepared to speak immediately when I answer. Mrs. j has often said I’m a very impatient person. I’ll take that since that’s one the nicer things she has said about me.

jmonroe
    I find those telemarketers as frustrating as anybody but I feel a little sorry for them too. Many of them are down on their luck individuals who are only working these jobs because no one else will hire them.

My autistic son did a similar job as a survey caller for the phone company. They hired a lot of people with disabilities through vocational rehabilitation. He was only able to tolerate the abuse for a couple of months even though he wasn’t selling anything.

A woman who I used to work with had a drug addicted daughter who took one of those warranty telemarketing jobs during a brief period of sobriety. She eventually relapsed and died of an overdose. Did the stress get to her? Who knows.

Because of that I try not to answer those calls when they come up on caller ID. If I get fooled into answering I hang up immediately before the live person comes on the line. There might be some professional scammers working these promotions but I’d rather not risk making some unfortunate person’s life any tougher.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

I find those telemarketers as frustrating as anybody but I feel a little sorry for them too. Many of them are down on their luck individuals who are only working these jobs because no one else will hire them.

My autistic son did a similar job as a survey caller for the phone company. They hired a lot of people with disabilities through vocational rehabilitation. He was only able to tolerate the abuse for a couple of months even though he wasn’t selling anything.

A woman who I used to work with had a drug addicted daughter who took one of those warranty telemarketing jobs during a brief period of sobriety. She eventually relapsed and died of an overdose. Did the stress get to her? Who knows.

Because of that I try not to answer those calls when they come up on caller ID. If I get fooled into answering I hang up immediately before the live person comes on the line. There might be some professional scammers working these promotions but I’d rather not risk making some unfortunate person’s life any tougher.

That's why I like my Sentry on my landline: I get NO rings that I have to answer. Not even 1 ring like some block setups. Most of the calls that I have answered that were telemarketers were computerized voices or recordings. Their "agents" were talking to other people, not waiting on mine to answer. 9 out of 10 calls that I have answered in the last year have hung up on me because the computer apparently doesn't have a live person to which I can be connected. I say, "Hello." And "Hello" again. Then click.

I'd like to have a good system for my Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown cell phone. But I just don't answer even if the call has the same area code and prefix as my cell--which is a rare prefix around here for cell or VOIP-based phones. If it's important, they'll leave a message or call back again hoping they had the wrong number. I'd like a way of blocking group calls based on prefix.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Speaking of cell phones..., I have used Tracfone for decades now. Verizon just bought Tracfone. I know I've had great service from the Tracfones I bought that were Verizon-based units using Verizon's towers starting with my son's off-to-college phone. I'm hoping the pricing and the service continues.

One problem will full blocking. If it’s a call you want to get, they never even felt through to leave a VM.

I have no big issue with screening calls and ignoring ones I don’t recognize. Easy enough.

edited September 2020
    Let's say my phone number is 859-987-6543. I'd like to block all 859-987 calls since I don't know of another 987 exchange phone. But I get calls from all the spammers thinking I'll pick up.

I tried a couple of apps Android on my previous phone type, an LG, and wasn't totally happy. But of course
    they were free versions. I don't like the tracking apps do, along with Android, but then even GM can track me in my car via the black box for OnStar and the computer.

Does anyone have an idea for the cell phone? I'm happy with my landline, because the Sentry robo blocker only lets one ring through, and my Panasonic phone has an option to block the first ring on incoming calls. So I get zero rings. The phone screen lights up and shows an incoming number, and sometimes and incoming name, but not always. Often the name is related to a number the spammer has spoofed.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    I was getting way too many spam callers here on my iPhone (it is an epidemic in Canada) from offshore scammers who spoof the incoming number to fake a real one, often a local one. Regardless, I don't want to have to deal with that. So I set the phone up to silence all unknown callers and go straight to voice mail. It's not a business phone so it works for me,

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

fintail said:

What’s a 3/4 bath? I know a 1/2 bath is one without a tub or shower. Is that a west coast thing?

bwia said:

bwia said:

On another topic, could the guy who posted here recently with all the Porsches be Hoovie in disguise?/>

Just picked up my PCR test result and it is Negative.
    Must be all that clean living and high UV lifestyle in the islands. Good.

fintail said:

What’s a 3/4 bath? I know a 1/2 bath is one without a tub or shower. Is that a west coast thing?
    3/4 bath is shower, sink, toilet, no bathtub.
    edited September 2020
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

If anyone knows (and they don't), it probably isn't a real estate agent.
    Yeh, I think the real estate agent picked up on which way he is leaning anyway....not to be political or anything. :o

My ooma at home let's me block by prefix. For my cell, I have the app called Call Protect. You can block a number of ways, including a range of numbers. So, for some prefixes, I have blocked, for example, 435-297-0000 through 435-297-9999.

Let's say my phone number is 859-987-6543. I'd like to block all 859-987 calls since I don't know of another 987 exchange phone. But I get calls from all the spammers thinking I'll pick up.

I tried a couple of apps Android on my previous phone type, an LG, and wasn't totally happy. But of course
    they were free versions. I don't like the tracking apps do, along with Android, but then even GM can track me in my car via the black box for OnStar and the computer.

Does anyone have an idea for the cell phone? I'm happy with my landline, because the Sentry robo blocker only lets one ring through, and my Panasonic phone has an option to block the first ring on incoming calls. So I get zero rings. The phone screen lights up and shows an incoming number, and sometimes and incoming name, but not always. Often the name is related to a number the spammer has spoofed.

On my android phone there is a "Do not disturb" function which can be customized to to allow calls from my contact list. Seems to work for me.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    ab348 said:

I was getting way too many spam callers here on my iPhone (it is an epidemic in Canada) from offshore scammers who spoof the incoming number to fake a real one, often a local one. Regardless, I don't want to have to deal with that. So I set the phone up to silence all unknown callers and go straight to voice mail. It's not a business phone so it works for me,

That’s what I do too. If it’s real they’ll leave a message. I imagine Android based phones must have something similar.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Now that we solved the phone problem can we get back to real estate?

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Iphone10's are smart enough to usually spot a spoofed number and the call comes in as "spam risk." So far, I think it works accurately.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

Iphone10's are smart enough to usually spot a spoofed number and the call comes in as "spam risk." So far, I think it works accurately.

Well, that’s what I have and it doesn’t work for me. Oh well.

Is that done by the iPhone or by the carrier. IIRC some carriers started labeling calls based on their experience. I see an occasional "possible spam" on my caller ID for the landline handled by Frontier. I suspect those labels some from the source of the calling connection rather than Frontier.

I've never seen that pop up on my iPhone. Though I have an 11.

driver100 said:

Now that we solved the phone problem can we get back to real estate?

well, I finally got an update from the bank doing my mortgage refi (at a snails pace). Sent me the appraisal (done 8/26 I think) to review and sign off on reading. So I got that done. Hopefully that is the last thing before they finally approve it and look to schedule closing. I think the rate lock goes to 10/8 or 10/9, so might be tight with how backed up they are.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539
    nyccarguy said:

Who really knows?

Nobody

Not so fast. You could ask me, after all I’m a “know-it-all“ and I’ve got that from the second highest authority there is. Do you wanna tell her she’s wrong. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

I've never seen that pop up on my iPhone. Though I have an 11.

Neither have I, I think it’s a carrier. Mine is Spectrum, very cheap , only $14/month with 1 GB of data (usually enough for my daily routine between wifi spots at home and work), but it has no spam protections. I even get those annoying text spams messages without ability to block them. I don’t bother to block individual numbers, as those are spoofed anyway.

2018 430i Gran Coupe