Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I chose the first and the third, my wife chose the second. They are, Stacy, Jody & Andrew. I hated my first and last name so made it a point that our kids would have different names that most others and one's that kid's wouldn't make fun of. I wanted "A. J." for his nickname but ended up with Drew. So now, we all call him Drew but he uses Andrew with most others. When he was at Duke's TIP Program as a kid, someone called him Andy, something we never ever did, but he responded. Do remember he hated his name for a time back in 1992 after hurricane Andrew decimated the Homestead area, just south of us. Kids made fun of him and he hated it!
    When I did choose his name, my mom & grandma were angry since I didn't use the initials for my dad's name, since he died just a year before. In the Jewish religion, one can not be named after a living person. On the girls, we used the initials of the folks who they were named after but with Drew, I waned him to be called "A.J." and I wasn't budging on that since we both liked Andrew Jason as his legal name. At the bris, sure everyone knows what that is, the moyle gave a short explanation about the naming situation and assured my mom and grandma that only the Hebrew name was important in G-d's eyes, not the English name. After that, they turned very happy and we were able to continue. Drew's Hebrew name is the same as my dad's and he had died a year to the day before so this was a pretty big deal for the whole family. When my sister adopted a son a few months earlier, she did the same thing, but she used both his English and Hebrew name. But for some reason, a bigger deal was made over our son and all I can think is that is was a major loss in the family for my dad to pass at such an early age and also, my grandma took it very hard losing her first born, as she relied very heavily on him for everything! But coming from the old country, it was very common I think.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Very cool and selling so quickly. From what I can see, it's a pretty hot market all over America so very cool that y'all did so well! Back in 1987, we put up our house for sale in the newspaper just to see what would happen. No offers after three weekends so, off the market it came. About a month later, we did the same thing but this time, success! The ad hit the newspaper on Thursday, Friday we got a call to come see it and Saturday while at work, my wife sold it. They came over Sunday with a check and gave us a large down payment. Only problem was, we did this on a whim thinking it would be like the first time. But, it wasn't. It was the end of February and the only stipulation in the contract was that we'd have to be out a week before Easter. We both said sure but there was one problem. We had no new place lined up! And turns out, Drew was on the way but I was the only one who had no clue about that!
    Luckily, things all turned out well but G-d threw a couple of obstacles in the way that to this day we still laugh about and wonder how we ever got through it all!! All it took was lots of laughter and much help from my in-laws to get us into the new & current house. We still laugh about it all to this very day!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    I got an email that had wise words from an Old Farmer. Not sure if this is from our oldfarmer...here are some;

* Keep skunks and bankers and lawyers at a distance.
    * Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
    * A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.
    * Meanness don't jes' happen overnight.
    * Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads.
    * Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.
    * It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.
    * You cannot unsay a cruel word.
    * Every path has a few puddles.
    * When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty.
    * The best sermons are lived, not preached.
    * Most of the stuff people worry about ain't never gonna happen anyway.
    * Don't judge folks by their relatives.
    * Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
    * Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.
    * Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
    * Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
    * If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
    * Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got.
    * The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.
    * Always drink upstream from the herd.
    * Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

tjc.....everything is going about as well as it could go....way to go!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    tjc78 said:

For those following the house saga, it is sold.

Strong offer, over 10K above listing (which was already 8k above what we were going to list it for). They didn’t ask for closing costs or anything. It was for sale about 18 hours. We canceled 8 showings for today as we have two backup offers as well.

Wild market.

congrats. Makes me wish I had put my house up when the couple places (not as nice) in my neighborhood went for way above what I would have dreamed about asking, and quick. But, as the wife points out, we don't have anywhere to go picked out, and are in no position to be packing/moving on short notice anyway!

And enjoy the little extra money for helping get into the new place. That always comes in handy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    tjc78 said:

Strong offer, over 10K above listing (which was already 8k above what we were going to list it for). They didn’t ask for closing costs or anything. It was for sale about 18 hours. We canceled 8 showings for today as we have two backup offers as well.

Wild market.

That is stupendous! I wonder if you had listed it for $20,000 more that you would get it sold almost as quickly. I would think that if it sold that quickly (18 hours) that it would probably have sold for even more - but that's water under the bridge - the fact that this is now history must be a great relief to you and the family. Lots of luck.

2021 Genesis G90

Saw a perfect car for my future, somewhere, sometime.

I wonder how it rides on the interstate?

A car like that isn't made for the interstate, it's made for back country roads that has plenty of hills and curves, downshifting into curves, punching it coming out of curves and the like. It needs the hairpin, the serpentine and the deviation curves. Interstates are boring, that's not a boring car.
    I could probably get into that Corvette with a shoehorn, but getting out of it would would require the the Fire Department's "jaws of life"! I love what Chevrolet has done with the new Corvette mid-engine design - looking more like a European (German, Italian) sportscar.

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    @tjc78,
    I'll help you spend some that extra money you got for your house. B)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-4On4pico
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    tjc78 said:

Wild market.

Good for you.

I'm not sure if the market in our area is as strong as where you are but I know it is pretty good. That being the case Son #1 better get to swinging his paint brush to do all the closets in the flip. He has already used his spray gun to do the fist floor of the ranch in a light gray color but he wants the closets to be white. Don't ask me why he wants white in the closets. Once he had that spray contraption going he should have done all the walls with the light gray. And while he's at it he better install the kitchen cabinets too. Then the flip will be ready for market. Oh wait, I just remembered this, he has to install a new front door but that will only take about 45 minutes. I'm anxious to see how the bidding goes.

Good luck in the new place.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Water is wet, you can't fix stupid and money can't buy love but it makes the love better.
    driver100 said:

I got an email that had wise words from an Old Farmer. Not sure if this is from our oldfarmer...here are some;

* Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.
    * The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.
    * Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    edited September 2020
    Thanks everyone!

We were going to let it go another day, but if it went for much more it probably wouldn’t appraise so we felt it was best to take the offer.

As it stands now if it doesn’t appraise the buyer will come up to 10K cash to cover the delta. That made us happy and one of the reasons we took their offer.

They also are closing on their current place this week so all in all a solid buyer.

The cherry on top is they want the old pool table in the basement so I don’t have to worry about it! I’ve moved it three times (bar to friends, friends to cousin, cousin to me) and vowed never to do it again.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    edited September 2020

@tjc78,

holy hell, that thing is like brand new, even underneath. But $17K? Oh no no no.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Wow yeah that’s a nice Vic. Great color, Sport and clean.

I’d take that one in a minute but more like 10k not 17K

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Congrats on the sale, tjc. Great time to be a seller, especially if moving to a less insane market.

Locally, the game seems to be to take bids until x date, and see what happens. Apparently people also often write the equivalent of homebuyer cover letters trying to explain why they should be chosen.
    Love the color. But lack of use would concern me. Plus, what are you going to do with it?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386
    We all know the extra money from the old house is going to be used for new furniture in the new one.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

We all know the extra money from the old house is going to be used for new furniture in the new one.

Winner Winner

Yes lots of furniture and I want a shed so my garage doesn't get crapped up.

edited September 2020
    tjc78 said:

Winner Winner

Hate to be the one to tell you this but get used to the garage getting crapped up for a while maybe even a long while. I’ve heard lots of guys say what you’ve said. You outta know the house comes first. How old are you anyway? :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Order it now. Long lead time.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    tjc78 said:

Winner Winner

You do know it's one of the universal laws of nature that the amount of junk you have expands to fill up the available space. Much like a gas will expand to fill up it's container.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

That's the first Corvette I'd actually keep if I were to win one from one of the charitable raffles I enter.
    Did anyone notice the interior is NOT black?

I saw one of these midengine Vettes at a local informal cruise in two weeks back. Black wheels. Black interior. IIRC.

This caught my eye as a good Florida car because white wouldn't be as hot most of the year as is black.
    abacomike said:

A car like that isn't made for the interstate, it's made for back country roads that has plenty of hills and curves, downshifting into curves, punching it coming out of curves and the like. It needs the hairpin, the serpentine and the deviation curves. Interstates are boring, that's not a boring car.
    I could probably get into that Corvette with a shoehorn, but getting out of it would would require the the Fire Department's "jaws of life"! I love what Chevrolet has done with the new Corvette mid-engine design - looking more like a European (German, Italian) sportscar.
    You're spot on with the difference in appearance aligning it with foreign peers.

I sat in previous versions of the C at dealer showroom. Same result you state. The newer one was hard to judge because having the engine midcar made the front seat different in relative sizing. It was a car at a cruise-in so I couldn't just plop in to test the seat and it was surrounded by lookers.

It was white with black rims.

I saw a bright blue new model on interstate today as I was going to CFA.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Anybody want to talk about investing? I’ve never really done it before. I just signed up for some interesting crowd-funding-type sites and put money in each. One is lending folks money outright for whatever they need. Another is commercial real estate projects. The third is small business bonds.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

As long as you are fine never seeing that money again, go for it.

Generally, For most people, the best bet is just dollar cost average into low fee index funds Or target date funds, like vanguard. Set it and forget it.

qbrozen said:

@tjc78,

holy hell, that thing is like brand new, even underneath. But $17K? Oh no no no.
    It really looks like new, but when they show the odometer at 13 min and 40 sec the numbers aren't lined up 9864.
    Hard to believe it could look like a new car and that not be the right mileage. Also, why wouldn't he get original wheel discs instead of those cheap looking replacements?
    https://youtu.be/qk-4On4pico?t=21

edited September 2020
    Saw one of these today, red, in perfect condition inside and out;

Even had the luggage rack.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    qbrozen said:

Anybody want to talk about investing? I’ve never really done it before. I just signed up for some interesting crowd-funding-type sites and put money in each. One is lending folks money outright for whatever they need. Another is commercial real estate projects. The third is small business bonds.

I think we actually have a discussion for that.

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/7256/general/x/the-stock-market-and-investing#latest

If you want to post over there, I'll be sure to reply.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That's the first Corvette I'd actually keep if I were to win one from one of the charitable raffles I enter.

I saw one of these midengine Vettes at a local informal cruise in two weeks back. Black wheels. Black interior. IIRC.

This caught my eye as a good Florida car because white wouldn't be as hot most of the year as is black.
    abacomike said:

You're spot on with the difference in appearance aligning it with foreign peers.

I sat in previous versions of the C at dealer showroom. Same result you state. The newer one was hard to judge because having the engine midcar made the front seat different in relative sizing. It was a car at a cruise-in so I couldn't just plop in to test the seat and it was surrounded by lookers.

I don’t know of anyone that goes to CFA as often as you do. It ain’t health food ya know. Do you own stock in CFA or do you own chicken farms that supplies them? :o

jmonroe

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    qbrozen said:

We need to add a new item to drivers list: Never invest in something you know nothing about.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Q is just pulling our collective legs. :p
    tjc78 said:

Winner Winner

A "he-shed" or a "she-shed"?🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

Saw one of these today, red, in perfect condition inside and out;

Even had the luggage rack.

I had that exact TR-6 in royal blue back in 1974. I loved it!

2021 Genesis G90

edited September 2020
    @driver100,
    Not really seeing what you mean about the odometer.
    Check out this walkaround of a same model 2006 Crown Vic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7mzulTQRQ

Q is just pulling our collective legs. :p

No, I'm really not. I'm giving them a shot. Posted in the thread @kyfdx suggested, although it has been asleep for 8 mos. haha.

@qbrozen,
    That's not investing, it's speculating.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

@driver100,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7mzulTQRQ

Same wheel covers.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

@qbrozen,
    That's not investing, it's speculating.

Well, ok. Then I'd love to know what "investing" is. But should probably keep it in that topic posted above.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Apparently I moved to Memphis, TN. I received a letter from the department of employment security to verify my change of address to some place in Memphis.

I did contact them via their website and reported it as possible fraud and to inform them that I did not file a claim. I then got a credit report to make sure no one opened anything else in my name, so far there is nothing out there that isn't familiar. Just gotta monitor it for a while to make sure it stays that way.

Gee 2020 is such a great year.

Hope you put a credit alert on the 3 credit bureaus. The change in address was how my i.d. theft started in 2000. I shut it down quickly but it was still a P.I.T.A.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited September 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

I don’t know of anyone that goes to CFA as often as you do. It ain’t health food ya know. Do you own stock in CFA or do you own chicken farms that supplies them? :o

jmonroe

Thank you for asking. And Amazoom did deliver the replacement hard drive correctly as far as shipping connections. All the way from Portland to here overnight. And this one had a working SATA line.

My wife is able to eat chicken rather than red meats. So the various chicken options at CFA allow variety and I can get many various items I like as well including the Cobb salad with the chopped up CFA deep fried filet. You can option the Cobb salad with other chicken preps.

I wish I'd bought stock in it--the owner has a couple of neat Corvettes he drives, tomato red and black. I don't recall the exact model but they're upline models. Actually the company is privately owned. But this local franchis owner is a great businessman and makes his store work. His employees are very happy and effective. When I occasionally visit other stores, the difference in management style shows in the workers.

There are occasional problems and almost any of the staff take ownership right away and fix them, both when the inside store was operating and now that it's all drive thru.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

abacomike said:

tjc78 said:

Winner Winner

A "he-shed" or a "she-shed"?🤪😜🤓
    Lol. 100% he shed. Actually I may be living in it since wife thinks we don’t need it.

She just keeps saying “we have a garage”.... yes honey we do, but we still need a shed!

I’ll win this one. Just have to let her buy the furniture first!

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

For most people, the best bet is just dollar cost average into low fee index funds Or target date funds, like vanguard. Set it and forget it.

This is most certainly true, but I would add that rebalancing once or twice a year is very useful and pretty simple.

My Vanguard portfolio is up 6.7% for the year after having been down 13.2% on the 20th of March.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    abacomike said:

tjc78 said:

Wild market.

That is stupendous! I wonder if you had listed it for $20,000 more that you would get it sold almost as quickly. I would think that if it sold that quickly (18 hours) that it would probably have sold for even more - but that's water under the bridge - the fact that this is now history must be a great relief to you and the family. Lots of luck.
    Maybe not. Where my kids live it’s a hot market, but ones priced too high still sit awhile. Sounds like your agent priced it right for a quick sale. Well done!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    ab348 said:

Thanks, @venture , it could have been crabgrass from those pics. It's odd because years ago when I first moved here I thought I had some in my backyard and went to a garden center looking for a treatment. They scoffed at me, saying we didn't have it here. And you could never buy that kind of chemical here even before the govt started banning them. Maybe climate change or something else is why it may be here now. Obviously it came from the sod farm or the topsoil source. Glad I got the little bit of it out.

I’ve read that Crabgrass can lie dormant in soil for up to 20 years.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

That Halts is in with fertilizer. I bought the 10-pound bag of pure Halts.

Now it's marketed as Weedex

That pre emergent herbicide works by forming a vapor barrier at the soil line so that any germinating seed gets killed as it tries to grow through it. Since Crabgrass germinates later than lawn grass you can let one grow while the other gets nailed. IIRC Crabgrass germinates when soil temps reach above 50 degrees. That’s why you put it on in the Spring.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2020

@driver100,

Ex, if you look at the odometer at 13 minutes and 40 seconds in the first CV you will see the numbers are not lined up perfectly - they should be all even if the odometer hasn't been tampered with, unless Ford makes them uneven.

I think if I ever buy another sports car, that would be it. By then I probably won’t know what to do with the steering wheel though. Still, I’d like to drive one before I get senile.

From what I’ve heard there’s an incredible waiting list for them with lots of scheming and politics involved.

driver100 said:

Yeah, that sounds like something I’d say. ;)

qbrozen said:

Not familiar with that concept. Is it like a small scale venture capitalism deal?

edited September 2020

qbrozen said:

Not familiar with that concept. Is it like a small scale venture capitalism deal?
    Pretty much. Group lending with a bunch of strangers. Lol. I’m just testing the waters. I chose places based on articles from well-known investing advice sites. And I’m putting a little in to see how it goes. I’ve lost more in the stock market than I’m risking on this, so it can’t be worse.

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Pretty much. Group lending with a bunch of strangers. Lol. I’m just testing the waters. I chose places based on articles from well-known investing advice sites. And I’m putting a little in to see how it goes. I’ve lost more in the stock market than I’m risking on this, so it can’t be worse.
    The thing I would ask myself is....if the average index can outperform the so called experts, then how well can amateurs do?

Another thing is I talked to a guy I knew in high school. When he was young he moved to California and became a broker. I said you must know a lot about how to invest. He said yeh, I handle millionaires money and I go to work on a bus! Makes you think :(

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    driver100 said:

Another thing is I talked to a guy I knew in high school. When he was young he moved to California and became a broker. I said you must know a lot about how to invest. He said yeh, I handle millionaires money and I go to work on a bus! Makes you think :(

My niece's husband is a financial advisor or portfolio manager for one of those wealth management outfits. So he isn't a broker necessarily but has well-to-do clients whose portfolio he manages. I don't know what they charge, but trust me, he doesn't go to work on any bus.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6