Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    Driver, that doesn’t show the number of each list. It’s your total post count.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559

driver100 said:

I know many of you are curious about what is happening with my lawn situation....so here is the update;
    Resodding would cost about $3000! And there is no real guaranty that would would fix the problem.
    Using oldfarmers suggestions, and by asking 2 neighbors who seem to know what they are doing...we will see how much it would cost to put down a layer of really good soil, and buy a good quality high grade grass seed that will grow in the shade. We have to get a quote and we'll ask the people at a large gardening/nursery place what would be best.
    Oldfarmer got me on the right road I think :p

For a lot less you could spray-paint the dirt green.
    He’d then have a problem cutting the paint. It’s always something. But then, maybe he can find “a guy” to do that. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,079
    driver100 said:

Interesting...my last post was number 28650, but going back all my posts are 28650. I thought the last ones weren't registering but I guess they all get changed as you move up in the world.

You don't know how the post count works

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

Interesting...my last post was number 28650, but going back all my posts are 28650. I thought the last ones weren't registering but I guess they all get changed as you move up in the world.

You don't know how the post count works
    How does it work, do we have to pay for it to move?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

I know many of you are curious about what is happening with my lawn situation....so here is the update;
    Resodding would cost about $3000! And there is no real guaranty that would would fix the problem.
    Using oldfarmers suggestions, and by asking 2 neighbors who seem to know what they are doing...we will see how much it would cost to put down a layer of really good soil, and buy a good quality high grade grass seed that will grow in the shade. We have to get a quote and we'll ask the people at a large gardening/nursery place what would be best.

Not a bad idea....that would be easier:

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    When I owned a home with areas where grass did not how well such as under trees, near the foundation, etc., I would spread rye grass and fertilizer. A strong rye grass grows almost anywhere, but you can’t over-water or over fertilize the area where rye and mulch are used. I was quite successful with rye grass.

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    Got my shutters today, ordered them late Friday, $650 plus tax versus $930 from online vendor.
    On Saturday I installed my wife's Mothers Day present, a new mailbox and post.
    No big deal you say, but almost $450. :s
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I still have my standing offer. I will pay for plane tickets to Vegas and they can get married in the Elvis chapel. Then I will give them money toward a car.

My daughter was all in on the car part.

My bride-to-be's dad offered a cash payout to forego the wedding. HIS wife, however, was having none of that. My wife regrets not taking the deal. We did get a fair bit of money at the wedding from the guests, but about 50% less than he was going to give us. Oh well. We had already purchased the house a couple of months before the wedding, so no worries there. We did spend A LOT on restaurants during our honeymoon, though. :)
    Our bar bill from our honeymoon cruise was pretty scary lol. I guess getting stuck at sea during super storm Sandy does that! 9 day cruise turned into 13.
    They didn’t comp your booze for the delay?
    I think they gave some free wine at dinners. The delay wasn’t their fault.

It’s always a good story to tell. I mean how people get stranded on a cruise ship during their honeymoon? 40’ waves, a missed port in the Caribbean and an extra stop in Boston. We also had no way of knowing if our car was flooded at the cruise terminal or if we would be able to get out of the city.

A lot of people got off the ship in Boston to fly home or rent cars to drive back home. Since our car was parked at the port there wasn’t much we could do.
    Our honeymoon ended in a nightmare as we tried to return home from Hawaii and were caught in a blizzard. We spent the last two days of our honeymoon sleeping on tables in an I-90 rest stop outside Amsterdam. No comp was given by anyone.

Better results were had when some buddies and I took a package trip to Disney World in 1971. The charter company’s plane broke down and we were given lodging and meals on the company. It was surf and turf galore.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Well I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded my phone to a Samsung S21 since my carrier gave me a lot for my dinosaur of a phone. Current phone is a 5 year old S7 and the battery is dying a slow death and would barley make it through the day without needing a recharge. Anyway it's only upping my bill by $5/month for 24 months. Its being shipped to me and should arrive in the next 48 hours.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Not a bad idea....that would be easier:

Ha ha, that’s like spraying hair in a can on your bald head.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarner50,
    Might try that if i sell my house, not trying on my head except maybe for St Patrick's Day. ;)

Well I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded my phone to a Samsung S21 since my carrier gave me a lot for my dinosaur of a phone. Current phone is a 5 year old S7 and the battery is dying a slow death and would barley make it through the day without needing a recharge. Anyway it's only upping my bill by $5/month for 24 months. Its being shipped to me and should arrive in the next 48 hours.

Isn't an S21 a little bit overdoing it....I just got an A11 which should be sufficient for my needs....just phoning 4 times a month?
    It's like having 340 horsepower when you really only need 200! :)

driver100 said:

Isn't an S21 a little bit overdoing it....I just got an A11 which should be sufficient for my needs....just phoning 4 times a month?
    It's like having 340 horsepower when you really only need 200! :)
    Not really, It's not like I got the S21 Plus or the S 21 Ultra, but I think the 340 HP one would be the Note. I like Samsung and while I didn't get the base one I surely didn't get the top of the line one either.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    I have a Note 20 Ultra, maybe the G63 AMG of phones. The functionality is amazing, save for the camera, which IMO is not as good in some ways compared to my old Note 9. Samsung offered $500 trade in for the Note 9, far above retail, and I was thinking of a new phone anyway, so I couldn't resist.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

I'm not understanding @snakeweasel 's position here. The caterer did not provide the services they were contracted to provide. The reason was neither the fault of the caterer nor the customer but an external event. I can see some negotiation possibly for a small sum to cover what little work the caterer might have already undertaken, but not the full amount of the large deposit. Most caterers I have dealt with do not buy food very far in advance, and supplies for a 150-person event would quickly get used up with other business. We do not know the timelines involved here which would help however. Regardless, it does not seem to be reasonable on their part and the kind of negative publicity such an insistence could generate if publicized would be very damaging to their reputation and business prospects. It seems very shortsighted.

Agree 100%, and the caterer can help mitigate the cancellation by finding another customer....if weddings were actually permitted to take place...if they weren't legal at the time the caterer has to abide by the laws and can't keep the money....they can't provide the service which was paid for.

One lesson might be to not pay 100% and to make sure the cancellation agreement is reasonable. Probably 10 to 25% as a deposit would be reasonable, maybe 50% a month before the event. All kinds of things can happen...sickness, eloping, cold feet, argument, death in family, hurricane, flood, etc.
    We weren't allowed to have the wedding planned. We could have had some event, but the caterer would have made less because maybe 1/2 of the people would have been allowed. In September of 2020, the only way to enter VT was to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival. When we cancelled in May, there was a great unknown. We paid a 1/2 deposit, which was sizeable based on 150+ people.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

@sb55 You usually go by what was written on the contract....BUT, there are special situations which can affect what has been agreed to.
    Unfortunately I am not the one deciding this case, but if it were up to me I would have your deposit returned less any costs the caterer has actually occurred.
    At that point many people wouldn't attend the event and obviously many people can't attend because of the quarantine.
    The caterer basically did very little work, it is hard to justify charging for something when you didn't do any work...it does happen with non-refundable deposits but there is an assumption the caterer will provide a service.
    Relating it to cars......what would happen if someone had put a $5000 deposit on a diesel VW, and the government finds that car doesn't have proper pollution controls.....it can't be sold? Does the buyer lose his deposit? No, because the car maker can't complete the deal or provide a service.
    This is a little different because technically you could still go ahead...there are factors we still don't know and some judgement is called for.
    Good luck, if the world was fair you should get a refund.

Got my shutters today, ordered them late Friday, $650 plus tax versus $930 from online vendor.

I’d never pay a mailman that much to deliver me bills. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I still have my standing offer. I will pay for plane tickets to Vegas and they can get married in the Elvis chapel. Then I will give them money toward a car.

My bride-to-be's dad offered a cash payout to forego the wedding. HIS wife, however, was having none of that. My wife regrets not taking the deal. We did get a fair bit of money at the wedding from the guests, but about 50% less than he was going to give us. Oh well. We had already purchased the house a couple of months before the wedding, so no worries there. We did spend A LOT on restaurants during our honeymoon, though. :)
    Our bar bill from our honeymoon cruise was pretty scary lol. I guess getting stuck at sea during super storm Sandy does that! 9 day cruise turned into 13.

It’s always a good story to tell. I mean how people get stranded on a cruise ship during their honeymoon? 40’ waves, a missed port in the Caribbean and an extra stop in Boston. We also had no way of knowing if our car was flooded at the cruise terminal or if we would be able to get out of the city.

A lot of people got off the ship in Boston to fly home or rent cars to drive back home. Since our car was parked at the port there wasn’t much we could do.
    Our honeymoon ended in a nightmare as we tried to return home from Hawaii and were caught in a blizzard. We spent the last two days of our honeymoon sleeping on tables in an I-90 rest stop outside Amsterdam. No comp was given by anyone.

Better results were had when some buddies and I took a package trip to Disney World in 1971. The charter company’s plane broke down and we were given lodging and meals on the company. It was surf and turf galore.
    You shoulda called it quits after your honeymoon. That was an omen you screwed up. :'(

jmonroe

$450 for a mailbox? I just replaced mine, post and all for about a hundred. I thought it was highway robbery.

You must have one fancy mailbox.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Unconscionable drug pricing. No wonder car dealers charge so much and get away with it.

I was prescribed a meditation that cost $13,000 for just 14 pills. A magic pill, hardly. Some of the possible side effects include blood clots, nose bleed, shingles, infections, pneumonia, constipation/diarrhea and insomnia. Not so bad after all as these side effects can be controlled with other medications; oh my poor liver and kidneys. In hindsight, I should have pursued the Noni treatment for my hip pain.
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

You shoulda called it quits after your honeymoon. That was an omen you screwed up. :'(

jmonroe
    His trip with his buddies to Disney World was much better than his honeymoon.....what does that mean?
    At least he could have taken Mrs Oldfarmer to Disney World.

@bwia Sorry to hear that......sounds excruciating! Hope it all works out!

edited April 2021
    I am getting my G90 back either this afternoon or tomorrow. The radio header (computer, audio and communications system) is on back order until approximately May15th +/-. The Genesis corporate rep said I would receive compensation in the amount of 1 monthly car payment for every 30 days the car was not working properly including the month of April and May. My payments are $1036 a month or compensation of $2072 - not bad.

Car works fine but Genesis Connective Services are not working - no affect on it’s drivability.

2021 Genesis G90

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    abacomike said:

I am getting my G90 back either this afternoon or tomorrow. The radio header (computer, audio and communications system) is on back order until approximately May15th +/-. The Genesis corporate rep said I would receive compensation in the amount of 1 monthly car payment for every 30 days the car was not working properly including the month of April and May. My payments are $1036 a month or compensation of $2072 - not bad.

Car works fine but Genesis Connective Services are not working - no affect on it’s drivability.

Given the problem and how new the model/brand is, I'm a little surprised they don't want to buy it back and use it to investigate and tear apart. I guess they'd have to have another car spec'ed exactly as you want.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited April 2021

abacomike said:

Given the problem and how new the model/brand is, I'm a little surprised they don't want to buy it back and use it to investigate and tear apart. I guess they'd have to have another car spec'ed exactly as you want.
    Corporate said they would replace the car, but there isn’t a color and wheel combo that I would like, so since the communications glitch is minor - something I wouldn’t use - to be honest - and since the warranty is 5 years 60,000 miles bumper to bumper, I will be happy with my new car and the compensation he promised. They still have to fix the glitch.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

Seems very generous.....and a smart move on their part.
    It is also necessary if they want to build the brand.
    What if they install a new radio and it still doesn't work....that's when they give you another car I guess.
    I give them a lot of credit, at least they are trying to resolve the problem and keep you happy.
    I'd go without my phone connection for 2 months if they dropped my payments for a few months.

That Tesla crash in Houston is strange:

Police say no one was behind the wheel of the car....they are 100% positive, one guy must have been in the passenger seat, and one in the back....they weren't wearing seat belts.
    Tesla says the steering wheel was bent, so they are sure someone was behind the wheel.
    WTH was going on!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    abacomike said:

They still have to fix the glitch.

Sounds like something from "Office Space"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

That Tesla crash in Houston is strange:

Police say no one was behind the wheel of the car....they are 100% positive, one guy must have been in the passenger seat, and one in the back....they weren't wearing seat belts.
    Tesla says the steering wheel was bent, so they are sure someone was behind the wheel.
    WTH was going on!

Well, considering the extent of fire damage, Tesla will need something better to hang their hat on than "the steering wheel was deformed." What was NOT deformed in that car?! Hey, look, the A pillars are deformed. Someone must have been riding on the roof!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

After two weeks since La Soufrière in St. Vincent first eruption it suddenly exploded again today.
    These fools try to Outrun an active volcano in today. Apparently they made it. Watch this short and dramatic video

https://youtu.be/Y02T7fd-C8U
    edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

Thanks @driver100 for your emotional and spiritual support. I didn't mention it before, but I was diagnosed with light-chain myeloma.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited April 2021
    bwia said:

Unconscionable drug pricing. No wonder car dealers charge so much and get away with it.

I was prescribed a meditation that cost $13,000 for just 14 pills. Noni

What kind of meditation required a pill :wink: ?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    Actually the Disney trip came first, I didn’t get married until 1976. She bought me a 74’ Charger so I figured I was on a roll by then.

bwia said:

After two weeks since La Soufrière in St. Vincent first eruption it suddenly exploded again today.
    These fools try to Outrun an active volcano in today. Apparently they made it. Watch this short and dramatic video

Begs the question.....are they brave or foolish?
    I'd say foolish...........very dangerous with not a whole lot to gain.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    I had chemotherapy back in 2008, and one thing the doctor recommended was a shot to help boost red blood cell production (something like that). Might have been Nulasta. But wouldn’t give it until the insurance company approved it because it was about $4,000 per shot. For some reason, they agreed to pay so I got it. I never would have paid OOP for that one!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The protocol includes Revlimid (pill), Velcade (injection) and Dexamethasone. I waiting on Dana-Farber for "second opinion" confirmation.
    Water is probably the best way to outrun a pyroclastic flow if one is into that kind of thing - they should recall what happened to St. Pierre Martinique (just up the street) in 1902, same type of eruption.
    bwia said:

It'll just work itself out naturally.
    Michaell said:

abacomike said:

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    fintail said:

It'll just work itself out naturally.

Michaell said:

abacomike said:

Until it didn’t.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@bwia, good luck. We’re hoping this will only be a temporary setback.

jmonroe
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    jmonroe1 said:

@bwia, good luck. We’re hoping this will only be a temporary setback.

jmonroe

X2

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited April 2021
    bwia said:

driver100 said:

Thanks @driver100 for your emotional and spiritual support. I didn't mention it before, but I was diagnosed with light-chain myeloma.
    bwia said:

The protocol includes Revlimid (pill), Velcade (injection) and Dexamethasone. I waiting on Dana-Farber for "second opinion" confirmation.

Wishes and prayers for you on this. I had to look it up.
    https://www.myeloma.org/types-of-myeloma

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    We're an Apple family here. We both have the XR which came out in 2018, one kid has the new 12 Pro but uses the camera for business while the other two have the SE unit, the cheaper one. I used to be an Android user but didn't like the way they do upgrades to their software...it comes from each individual company. Yesterday, Apple let us download the 14.5 software update for our phones and tablets so we all get the newest info all together. Very seamless and super easy instead of waiting for each individual android seller to get the newest software. Apple just seems to be a more streamlined company. And so easy to go from my phone to my tablet and then to my laptop and no matter which device I use, all my info is there. Just outstanding!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@bwia,
    My oncologist consulted with Dana-Farber on how to treat my CLL.
    I ended up on a program in early 2020 that was approved in 2019.
    It seems to have worked as I am now in remission.
    Best of luck and keep a positive attitude.
    @explorerx4 @bwia You guys are like heroes in my books, getting on in life, not complaining, contributing, staying active, being positive......really hope for the best possible results. There are others here as well, too numerous to mention.

dino001 said:

bwia said:

Oops! I meant medication.
    dino001 said:

bwia said:

The fun type man, the fun type.

fintail said:

Water is probably the best way to outrun a pyroclastic flow if one is into that kind of thing - they should recall what happened to St. Pierre Martinique (just up the street) in 1902, same type of eruption.

bwia said:

There is no good way to outrun a pyroclastic flow, those can hit speeds of up to 300 MPH. But most boats cannot come close to the typical speed of a pyroclastic flow. However that didn't look like a pyroclastic flow.

We're an Apple family here. We both have the XR which came out in 2018, one kid has the new 12 Pro but uses the camera for business while the other two have the SE unit, the cheaper one. I used to be an Android user but didn't like the way they do upgrades to their software...it comes from each individual company. Yesterday, Apple let us download the 14.5 software update for our phones and tablets so we all get the newest info all together. Very seamless and super easy instead of waiting for each individual android seller to get the newest software. Apple just seems to be a more streamlined company. And so easy to go from my phone to my tablet and then to my laptop and no matter which device I use, all my info is there. Just outstanding!!

I used to have an iPhone but there were a few things that I didn't like about it that weren't issues with Samsung so I tried Samsung and I never looked back. Apple lost me as a customer a while back when I had back to back software updates that froze my device and I had to go to the apple store to have it fixed.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Being the smart gentleman that you are, I'm sure you realize that you are paying a LOT more than that for your new phone. The long term contracts lock you in to a rate that is much much higher than what you can get with a prepaid phone plan.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica