Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

1253725382540254225432579

Comments

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 25,717
    There are several other quotes in the group that the friend sent. All cute
    with a grain of truth.

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,617

    @jmonroe1 said:
    Those are the things I can’t and WON’T put up with. If the car has a feature and I want to use it, I’m using it when I want to use it. Do I really need the 400 + HP that my Genny has for every day driving, NO? But when I want to get around slow pokes, I want to get around them...like NOW.

    jmonroe

    In the BMW we rarely have the heater going, just the heated seats, heated steering wheel and the neck warmers. Usually git us warmer faster and usually is enough to keep us comfortable.

    But then again I went into work today in 40 degree weather on a motorcycle.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 4,365

    @imidazol97 said:

    I saw this quote as one of several sent to my wife from a card club member.

    I got a snicker out of it, so I'm sharing it.

    ~ Prince Philip...

    When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife.

    Back in college I got the boyfriends of my girlfriend friends in trouble. They saw me opening the door for my girlfriend and got mad when their boyfriends wouldn't do it for them.


    Nothing ever wrong with being a gentleman!

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaMember Posts: 11,678

    @snakeweasel said:

    @jmonroe1 said:
    Those are the things I can’t and WON’T put up with. If the car has a feature and I want to use it, I’m using it when I want to use it. Do I really need the 400 + HP that my Genny has for every day driving, NO? But when I want to get around slow pokes, I want to get around them...like NOW.

    jmonroe

    In the BMW we rarely have the heater going, just the heated seats, heated steering wheel and the neck warmers. Usually git us warmer faster and usually is enough to keep us comfortable.

    But then again I went into work today in 40 degree weather on a motorcycle.

    Heater? What’s that? 😜🤪🤓

    2021 Genesis G90

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,617

    @imidazol97 said:
    There are several other quotes in the group that the friend sent. All cute
    with a grain of truth.

    A quote that I came across recently that I really like: "Promises are like children's drawings, often made seldom kept."- P.D.Q. Bach, "The Abduction of Figaro"

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,513
    Watch the movie. We've been on that timeline (with a little bit of "Wall-E" thrown in) for around 20 years now.


    Unfortunately we have "Idiocracy" in the making.

    It's not in the making. It exists.

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,513
    Literacy is a gift.

    If you want to see bad, check out your local "Nextdoor" discussions. Amazing combination of idiocy and entitlement, one can see how dangerous political movements are born.
    tjc78 said:

    @fintail said:

    I suspect it's real, remember the Carlin skit about stupid people.

    Also, politics over the past 30-40 years. If anything, with social media, the stupid gap is widening.

    Social media brings out the stupid in people IMO.

    Our campground has a FB page for the seasonals like us. The amount of stupid questions and comments that get posted blow my mind. There were 50 comments yesterday about a simple post that electric bills are read by the 1st and due by the 15th. You can call the office or stop in the store to pay. After the 15th you pay a late fee. It doesn’t get much simpler... yet people would ask the same questions over and over. Mind you, the way they do it has been for years with zero change.


  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,049

    @jmonroe1 said:

    Those are the things I can’t and WON’T put up with. If the car has a feature and I want to use it, I’m using it when I want to use it. Do I really need the 400 + HP that my Genny has for every day driving, NO? But when I want to get around slow pokes, I want to get around them...like NOW.

    jmonroe

    In the BMW we rarely have the heater going, just the heated seats, heated steering wheel and the neck warmers. Usually git us warmer faster and usually is enough to keep us comfortable.

    But then again I went into work today in 40 degree weather on a motorcycle.


    When it is 20F I want a real heater, and I want it pouring out of the vents asap.....not just my seat and steering wheel warmers.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,049
    Why does this only happen to Tesla drivers?
    A 25-year-old man who made headlines when he was filmed waving from the back seat of a Tesla Model 3 on Autopilot earlier this week has upped the ante on his own ignorant gamble by insisting he’ll continue to use the feature to illegally cruise around his California home with no one at the wheel, even after he was arrested. In fact, the dunce rode in the Tesla with Autopilot on his way home from jail and then bragged about it in a TV interview!

    “I’m gonna go in the back seat right now. You feel me? I’m waiting for my car to charge,” Sharma told KTVU in a digital video interview. “I don’t drive and I don’t fill up gas. I am a gold-collar,” he said.
    I am not sure what he is trying to say. The two guys killed a few weeks ago weren't driving either!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,617

    @driver100 said:
    When it is 20F I want a real heater, and I want it pouring out of the vents asap.....not just my seat and steering wheel warmers.

    Well at 20F you're not getting heat from the vents asap. You have to wait for the car to warm up first.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,513
    Time for progressive penalties. Make it financially destructive.
    driver100 said:

    Why does this only happen to Tesla drivers?
    A 25-year-old man who made headlines when he was filmed waving from the back seat of a Tesla Model 3 on Autopilot earlier this week has upped the ante on his own ignorant gamble by insisting he’ll continue to use the feature to illegally cruise around his California home with no one at the wheel, even after he was arrested. In fact, the dunce rode in the Tesla with Autopilot on his way home from jail and then bragged about it in a TV interview!

    “I’m gonna go in the back seat right now. You feel me? I’m waiting for my car to charge,” Sharma told KTVU in a digital video interview. “I don’t drive and I don’t fill up gas. I am a gold-collar,” he said.
    I am not sure what he is trying to say. The two guys killed a few weeks ago weren't driving either!

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,617

    @driver100 said:
    Why does this only happen to Tesla drivers?
    A 25-year-old man who made headlines when he was filmed waving from the back seat of a Tesla Model 3 on Autopilot earlier this week has upped the ante on his own ignorant gamble by insisting he’ll continue to use the feature to illegally cruise around his California home with no one at the wheel, even after he was arrested. In fact, the dunce rode in the Tesla with Autopilot on his way home from jail and then bragged about it in a TV interview!

    “I’m gonna go in the back seat right now. You feel me? I’m waiting for my car to charge,” Sharma told KTVU in a digital video interview. “I don’t drive and I don’t fill up gas. I am a gold-collar,” he said.
    I am not sure what he is trying to say. The two guys killed a few weeks ago weren't driving either!

    while I'm not sure what California laws states but here in illinois the legal definition of driver is someone who is in control of the vehicle. I believe California would be similar. Hence he would be a driver.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • ventureventure Central PAMember Posts: 2,111


    What will these folks do with their gas in tubs and in plastic bags now that the gasoline is
    flowing in the 45% of the daily amount that was shut down?
    I can just see her dipping gasoline from the tub and pouring it into the funnel into the tank--bet she doesn't even have a funnel...
    Or they might just pour it down the drain.

    You know that picture and the one with the lady filling up the plastic bag is from 2019.

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,049

    @driver100 said:

    When it is 20F I want a real heater, and I want it pouring out of the vents asap.....not just my seat and steering wheel warmers.

    Well at 20F you're not getting heat from the vents asap. You have to wait for the car to warm up first.


    But at 20F the seats and steering wheel are a good start, but their not enough on their own. And having to direct the air directly at me to save a few miles on my battery charge is no way to live.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,617

    @driver100 said:
    But at 20F the seats and steering wheel are a good start, but their not enough on their own. And having to direct the air directly at me to save a few miles on my battery charge is no way to live.

    However times that few miles of battery life will actually matter will be few and far between.

    But my point was that I have driven in cold weather without the heater being on without a coat on and just the heat from the heated seat and neck warmer and was warm enough.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,049

    @driver100 said:

    But at 20F the seats and steering wheel are a good start, but their not enough on their own. And having to direct the air directly at me to save a few miles on my battery charge is no way to live.

    However times that few miles of battery life will actually matter will be few and far between.

    But my point was that I have driven in cold weather without the heater being on without a coat on and just the heat from the heated seat and neck warmer and was warm enough.


    Everyone is different.......I don't like the cold, and don't want to be in the cold, and a heated seat is not good enough for my needs. I am out of practice with cold below freezing weather....we've been in Florida for the winter for the last 10 years. :p

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,752
    edited May 13

    @imidazol97 said:

    I saw this quote as one of several sent to my wife from a card club member.

    I got a snicker out of it, so I'm sharing it.

    ~ Prince Philip...

    When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife.

    Back in college I got the boyfriends of my girlfriend friends in trouble. They saw me opening the door for my girlfriend and got mad when their boyfriends wouldn't do it for them.


    I always opened and closed the door for the Beautiful Bipolar Redhead. It was worth it.
    Usually.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 25,717
    I saw two Bolts on my way to a car cruise in near Columbus. About 40 miles each way on interstate. Saw one each half of the trip. Maybe there are more of them out there than I realize.

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 15,860
    @henryn,
    How's the aromatherapy going? ;)
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT, 2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 2,986

    @henryn,
    How's the aromatherapy going? ;)

    So far so good after the second treatment with the ozone generator. I was out and about today, and put on a cloth mask that had been laying in the car when I gave it the second treatment. Definitely had the ozone chemical smell.

    Bad news on the brakes. My neighbor down the street, the pro who was going to do the brakes for me, bailed. Too busy. Which happens, I am not upset. So I set out yesterday afternoon to do the rear brakes, I was planning on one axle per day. Only the new rotors I bought from Amazon do not fit. I had the right rear jacked up and disassembled before I realized the new rotor was wrong. Which did sort of p___ me off. And then I checked the front rotors, and they don't fit either. Then I was really p_____.

    So today I boxed them up and shipped them back to Amazon. I have to give credit to Amazon, they do make returns easy and free. I was then trying to do cross references from Rock Auto to Amazon -- find the right part number on Rock Auto, buy from Amazon with free shipping. But none of the part numbers will cross reference. I can cross reference brake pads, but not rotors. Go figure.

    The brake pads I have are correct. Wagner ThermoQuiet, my preferred ceramic brake pads for lo these many years. The local auto parts stores (O'Reilly, Autozone, Advance) all charge an arm and a leg for rotors. And if I buy from Rock Auto, it's $31 for shipping. And if they're not right, the return shipping will be on me. Which leaves me in kind of a limbo. I'll probably just go ahead and order from Rock Auto, but I haven't decided yet.



    2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • bwiabwia Boston Member Posts: 2,700

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 2,716
    edited May 13
    henryn said:

    @henryn,
    How's the aromatherapy going? ;)

    So far so good after the second treatment with the ozone generator. I was out and about today, and put on a cloth mask that had been laying in the car when I gave it the second treatment. Definitely had the ozone chemical smell.

    Bad news on the brakes. My neighbor down the street, the pro who was going to do the brakes for me, bailed. Too busy. Which happens, I am not upset. So I set out yesterday afternoon to do the rear brakes, I was planning on one axle per day. Only the new rotors I bought from Amazon do not fit. I had the right rear jacked up and disassembled before I realized the new rotor was wrong. Which did sort of p___ me off. And then I checked the front rotors, and they don't fit either. Then I was really p_____.

    So today I boxed them up and shipped them back to Amazon. I have to give credit to Amazon, they do make returns easy and free. I was then trying to do cross references from Rock Auto to Amazon -- find the right part number on Rock Auto, buy from Amazon with free shipping. But none of the part numbers will cross reference. I can cross reference brake pads, but not rotors. Go figure.

    The brake pads I have are correct. Wagner ThermoQuiet, my preferred ceramic brake pads for lo these many years. The local auto parts stores (O'Reilly, Autozone, Advance) all charge an arm and a leg for rotors. And if I buy from Rock Auto, it's $31 for shipping. And if they're not right, the return shipping will be on me. Which leaves me in kind of a limbo. I'll probably just go ahead and order from Rock Auto, but I haven't decided yet.



    You have confirmed why I don’t buy very much on line. I’m not willing to get the wrong parts. I tried to buy wiper blades for my ‘09 Genny from Rock Auto many moons ago. They screwed the order up twice. However, I will say they gave me full credit and didn’t even want either pair of the blades back. They’re been in my basement collecting dust ever since then. I think if they were the correct blades I would have saved about 12 bucks IIRC. I finally went to the dealer and paid 35 bucks for the pair and won’t try online again for anything if I can help it. I can’t tell you the last time the local auto parts chain sold me the wrong part. If they’re more it’s worth it to me to get the job done in an hour or two and not play around trying to save a couple bucks and wait days to complete the job. I could never put up with that.

    FWIW, Son #1 likes Rock Auto and has put up with the wrong parts a couple times which surprises me because I thought I taught him better than that. Go figure.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 2,986
    Back 8, 10, 12 years ago, I used Rock Auto quite a bit. Some things which were originally dealer only (like a replacement for a Buick power window motor) could be had from Rock Auto for less than half of the dealer cost. Buying these brake rotors locally will cost me about $200 more than going through Rock Auto. Which is a ripoff and I don't like being ripped off. I could see 20 to 25% more for the convenience, but not 100% markup.
    2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 18,110
    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.
    image

    If I was going to do the EV switch it would have to be something spectacular, not just some little grocery getter. Something like the Mach-e GT performance which mean not cheap. I’d want to make a big splash, maybe drive up to my friend’s houses sitting in the back seat and waving out the window.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 2,716
    henryn said:

    Back 8, 10, 12 years ago, I used Rock Auto quite a bit. Some things which were originally dealer only (like a replacement for a Buick power window motor) could be had from Rock Auto for less than half of the dealer cost. Buying these brake rotors locally will cost me about $200 more than going through Rock Auto. Which is a ripoff and I don't like being ripped off. I could see 20 to 25% more for the convenience, but not 100% markup.

    I never saw markups like you mentioned but if I did I’d have to reconsider my impatience. One thing you have to consider is the quality of the part. In the case of rotors I’m sure you know not all rotors are the same because they’re round and made of cast iron.

    However, one screw up and I’d go back to my old ways.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZMember Posts: 5,066
    jmonroe1 said:


    You have confirmed why I don’t buy very much on line. I’m not willing to get the wrong parts. jmonroe

    Back when cars needed quite a bit more attention than they do these days, I always took the part that I'd removed to the parts store to make sure that the one they were going to give me matched up. Often it didn't. Then it was, "oh yeah, you must have the XXX."
    Good times -- not.

    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusMember Posts: 13,085

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.
    image

    If I was going to do the EV switch it would have to be something spectacular, not just some little grocery getter. Something like the Mach-e GT performance which mean not cheap. I’d want to make a big splash, maybe drive up to my friend’s houses sitting in the back seat and waving out the window.
    I’m the same. I am curious, and have said before, it’s clear that the market is very swiftly moving to EVs. Probably my next car will be an EV. My experience is limited to test drives for Teslas and Chevy’s Bolt, so pretty limited. But, if I’m making that jump, I want something that excites me.
    2021 Acura TLX A-Spec-Platinum White Pearl
  • ventureventure Central PAMember Posts: 2,111

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.
    image

    If I was going to do the EV switch it would have to be something spectacular, not just some little grocery getter. Something like the Mach-e GT performance which mean not cheap. I’d want to make a big splash, maybe drive up to my friend’s houses sitting in the back seat and waving out the window.
    I’m the same. I am curious, and have said before, it’s clear that the market is very swiftly moving to EVs. Probably my next car will be an EV. My experience is limited to test drives for Teslas and Chevy’s Bolt, so pretty limited. But, if I’m making that jump, I want something that excites me.
    I got an email from Subaru yesterday saying they will have an EV coming out in 2022 (the Solterra). Not exciting, but should at least be interesting.

    https://www.subaru.com/solterra-ev?SIE=6f8e39eba27f9c92e4f2e6e17b6e1f1ec3f5f9b8fea2f8731e39b40fa843ff7a&delivery_id=1014445181&cid=2021MayEVSolterraPreviewProspect&bid=1-ALP8WC4

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

  • bwiabwia Boston Member Posts: 2,700
    edited May 14
    venture said:

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.
    image

    If I was going to do the EV switch it would have to be something spectacular, not just some little grocery getter. Something like the Mach-e GT performance which mean not cheap. I’d want to make a big splash, maybe drive up to my friend’s houses sitting in the back seat and waving out the window.
    I’m the same. I am curious, and have said before, it’s clear that the market is very swiftly moving to EVs. Probably my next car will be an EV. My experience is limited to test drives for Teslas and Chevy’s Bolt, so pretty limited. But, if I’m making that jump, I want something that excites me.
    I got an email from Subaru yesterday saying they will have an EV coming out in 2022 (the Solterra). Not exciting, but should at least be interesting.
    https://www.subaru.com/solterra-ev?SIE=6f8e39eba27f9c92e4f2e6e17b6e1f1ec3f5f9b8fea2f8731e39b40fa843ff7a&delivery_id=1014445181&cid=2021MayEVSolterraPreviewProspect&bid=1-ALP8WC4
    Thanks @venture for sharing. The more the merrier. The Koreans seem to have taken a big lead in EVs but the Japanese appear to be lagging behind. In the meantime, the Chinese have made a big push into EVs. And I understand that there are more than 40 Chinese EV manufacturers most partnering with other Chinese tech firms (e.g. Huawei, ZTE) to push the technology and infrastructure forward. Folks we are witnessing the 4th Industrial Revolution before our very eyes. Oh, how I wish I was 18 again.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,049

    ” Amazing combination of idiocy and entitlement”,

    We saw both today. A driver in a white Corolla was in the far right lane which lead to an exit on the highway. Evidently he/she though it was a straight through driving lane and drove right into the ramp guardrail, spun and ripped off his bumper leaving his car a twisted mess.

    Later, as our lead driver was fueling the van an outraged Karen demanded to know why he wasn’t wearing a mask. This, despite the fact that he was 20’ away from her and the CDC had just announced that masks weren’t necessary indoors or outdoors. In the latter instance we assumed that Karen was too busy hiding under her bed to hear the news.

    I sometimes wonder about people who are driving alone in their car.....with their mask on!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaMember Posts: 11,678
    edited May 14

    @venture said:
    I got an email from Subaru yesterday saying they will have an EV coming out in 2022 (the Solterra). Not exciting, but should at least be interesting.

    https://www.subaru.com/solterra-ev?SIE=6f8e39eba27f9c92e4f2e6e17b6e1f1ec3f5f9b8fea2f8731e39b40fa843ff7a&delivery_id=1014445181&cid=2021MayEVSolterraPreviewProspect&bid=1-ALP8WC4

    Venture, at my age, interesting is healthier and safer than exciting! 😜🤪🤓

    2021 Genesis G90

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,617

    @graphicguy said:
    I’m the same. I am curious, and have said before, it’s clear that the market is very swiftly moving to EVs. Probably my next car will be an EV. My experience is limited to test drives for Teslas and Chevy’s Bolt, so pretty limited. But, if I’m making that jump, I want something that excites me.

    I test drove the electric Ford Focus many years ago. That is my only experience with EVs but I must say I was impressed with it.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,114
    I’ll, be interested in seeing the Subaru.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,513
    edited May 14
    You mean CUVs ;)

    I wonder if all in the video are all actually available for purchase right now, I have only seen a couple of them.

    The Subie will be a home run, at least regionally. I expect that one to be every 3rd vehicle on the road here within a year, all with with stickers proclaiming a love for local beer, dogs, the outdoors, and maybe being a "native" (no matter if you are actually from Encino or Minneapolis or Syracuse), year-round roof racks, and maybe those goofy Subaru merit badges.

    I support the move, more gas for me, as the fintail still needs a drink here and there.
    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 186,765
    fintail said:

    You mean CUVs ;)

    I wonder if all in the video are all actually available for purchase right now, I have only seen a couple of them.

    The Subie will be a home run, at least regionally. I expect that one to be every 3rd vehicle on the road here within a year, all with with stickers proclaiming a love for local beer, dogs, the outdoors, and maybe being a "native" (no matter if you are actually from Encino or Minneapolis or Syracuse), year-round roof racks, and maybe those goofy Subaru merit badges.

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

    Hey, we have those merit badges on our Outback!

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,513
    You guys should have dashcams!

    Karen was on a break from screaming at service industry workers when they tell her to wear a mask in a store, screaming at youth sporting events, and screaming at someone in her HOA who has a blue door on their house.

    ” Amazing combination of idiocy and entitlement”,

    We saw both today. A driver in a white Corolla was in the far right lane which lead to an exit on the highway. Evidently he/she though it was a straight through driving lane and drove right into the ramp guardrail, spun and ripped off his bumper leaving his car a twisted mess.

    Later, as our lead driver was fueling the van an outraged Karen demanded to know why he wasn’t wearing a mask. This, despite the fact that he was 20’ away from her and the CDC had just announced that masks weren’t necessary indoors or outdoors. In the latter instance we assumed that Karen was too busy hiding under her bed to hear the news.

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,513
    If I was your neighbor, I'd pay a nighttime visit with a razor blade or small chisel :)

    I hear those badges are pay-for-play now, and you don't have to prove you are actually a squaredancer or artisanal free range homebrewer or love doggos or kiddos or antiquing or mountaineering - a travesty!
    Michaell said:

    fintail said:

    You mean CUVs ;)

    I wonder if all in the video are all actually available for purchase right now, I have only seen a couple of them.

    The Subie will be a home run, at least regionally. I expect that one to be every 3rd vehicle on the road here within a year, all with with stickers proclaiming a love for local beer, dogs, the outdoors, and maybe being a "native" (no matter if you are actually from Encino or Minneapolis or Syracuse), year-round roof racks, and maybe those goofy Subaru merit badges.

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

    Hey, we have those merit badges on our Outback!
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,049
    Michaell said:

    fintail said:

    You mean CUVs ;)

    I wonder if all in the video are all actually available for purchase right now, I have only seen a couple of them.

    The Subie will be a home run, at least regionally. I expect that one to be every 3rd vehicle on the road here within a year, all with with stickers proclaiming a love for local beer, dogs, the outdoors, and maybe being a "native" (no matter if you are actually from Encino or Minneapolis or Syracuse), year-round roof racks, and maybe those goofy Subaru merit badges.

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

    Hey, we have those merit badges on our Outback!

    ....actuall the merit badge is brilliant marketing!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 2,986

    jmonroe1 said:


    You have confirmed why I don’t buy very much on line. I’m not willing to get the wrong parts. jmonroe

    Back when cars needed quite a bit more attention than they do these days, I always took the part that I'd removed to the parts store to make sure that the one they were going to give me matched up. Often it didn't. Then it was, "oh yeah, you must have the XXX."
    Good times -- not.

    I guess we all remember those days. The auto parts store had a set of books mounted in a binder type apparatus, permanently attached to the countertop. There were different books or catalogs from different suppliers, and the parts guy had to know which book to look in, and how to read the different books. And yes, mistakes were common. Today, with everything in the computer, it is much easier for the counterperson. But if the information in the computer database is inaccurate, then mistakes are still going to be made.

    I find that Amazon makes more mistakes than the average, their computerized information (at least for auto parts) is not very good. Which is why I try to look up the part number on Rock Auto, and then search for that on Amazon. Often Rock Auto is cheaper, but winds up with a higher total price after adding in shipping. I have, several times, looked up a part that I know is correct for my car, such as an oil filter that I have purchased before. Amazon will say it doesn't fit my car, which I KNOW is wrong.

    One of my pet peeves is how inaccurate the inventory for the auto parts stores is, as reflected on their web sites. You look up a cabin air filter for your car, the online site says, "Yeah, we got it, come on down!" But when you get there, "No, sorry, we'll have to order that for you."

    2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 186,765
    fintail said:

    If I was your neighbor, I'd pay a nighttime visit with a razor blade or small chisel :)

    I hear those badges are pay-for-play now, and you don't have to prove you are actually a squaredancer or artisanal free range homebrewer or love doggos or kiddos or antiquing or mountaineering - a travesty!

    Michaell said:

    fintail said:

    You mean CUVs ;)

    I wonder if all in the video are all actually available for purchase right now, I have only seen a couple of them.

    The Subie will be a home run, at least regionally. I expect that one to be every 3rd vehicle on the road here within a year, all with with stickers proclaiming a love for local beer, dogs, the outdoors, and maybe being a "native" (no matter if you are actually from Encino or Minneapolis or Syracuse), year-round roof racks, and maybe those goofy Subaru merit badges.

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

    Hey, we have those merit badges on our Outback!
    You'd have to figure out a way to get into our garage! :wink:

    For the record, I didn't order them, the wife and stepdaughter did.

    We at least don't have any dorky dealer information on the car.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaMember Posts: 11,678

    Due to the shortage of microprocessors, I read that Ford cut its production of vehicles by 50% for the rest of the year. I would imagine most other manufacturers will be following suit.

    One of my close friends wanted to get a G90 - he lives in Jupiter. Could not find one in the color he wanted and if he took one they had in stock (Black/Black) they would not discount the price. They only had 2 with the 3.3 L twin turbo V6.

    I also read in the newspaper that dealer’s are not giving great deals because they know they won’t be able to get a new one to replace the one they sell. Not good news for those in the market to buy a new car.

    2021 Genesis G90

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 18,110
    Michaell said:

    fintail said:

    If I was your neighbor, I'd pay a nighttime visit with a razor blade or small chisel :)

    I hear those badges are pay-for-play now, and you don't have to prove you are actually a squaredancer or artisanal free range homebrewer or love doggos or kiddos or antiquing or mountaineering - a travesty!

    Michaell said:

    fintail said:

    You mean CUVs ;)

    I wonder if all in the video are all actually available for purchase right now, I have only seen a couple of them.

    The Subie will be a home run, at least regionally. I expect that one to be every 3rd vehicle on the road here within a year, all with with stickers proclaiming a love for local beer, dogs, the outdoors, and maybe being a "native" (no matter if you are actually from Encino or Minneapolis or Syracuse), year-round roof racks, and maybe those goofy Subaru merit badges.

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

    Hey, we have those merit badges on our Outback!
    You'd have to figure out a way to get into our garage! :wink:

    For the record, I didn't order them, the wife and stepdaughter did.

    We at least don't have any dorky dealer information on the car.
    Please tell me you don’t have a little family of stick figures on the rear hatch too.


    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,617

    @driver100 said:
    ....actuall the merit badge is brilliant marketing!

    But in what order did you get those merit badges? It's very crucial.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • tifightertifighter WAMember Posts: 2,832
    Re: EV range, I recently saw this article from car and driver -
    https://caranddriver.com/news/a36302930/tesla-model-s-long-range-plus-highway-range-testing/

    Most interesting to me though-
    "Tesla eked out 67 extra miles of EPA range by employing a number of efficiency measures, including shaving weight from the car's interior, adding model-specific aerodynamic wheels and tires, and making tweaks to the electric motor. Those changes also helped us go 422.7 miles in a different Long Range Plus during a test in which we drove at 65 mph instead of the 75 mph we use for our highway fuel-economy test."

    18 Tesla X Performance / 21 Tesla Y LR / 11 BMW Z4 6MT

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,049
    @tifighter In the test they were happy to reach 300 miles in an EV:
    In our highway fuel-economy testing, a Tesla Model S Long Range Plus went 320 miles at an average speed of 75 mph.
    Great, I was just reading a review of a Mustang and they said they couldn't reach Ford's promise of reaching 270 miles, but at 38F they went 212 miles. So there is another factor to consider before going out of town....what will the temperature be? Hope there isn't a cold front moving in later today on the return trip, otherwise we have to find a recharge center....oh yeh, it's a Mustang.....have to be sure there is one a Mustang can use.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,114
    Any EV can use one of the many options now that aren’t supercharger (Tesla only) units. So the mustang isn’t picky. I think they may just use adapters if different plug design.

    Driver, you obviously are not a target EV customer. Because part of the deal to get all of the benefits is that yes, you sometimes have to stop to recharge. If you can’t handle that, don’t buy one! Not like it’s a surprise to the people that do buy one.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 186,765

    Michaell said:

    fintail said:

    If I was your neighbor, I'd pay a nighttime visit with a razor blade or small chisel :)

    I hear those badges are pay-for-play now, and you don't have to prove you are actually a squaredancer or artisanal free range homebrewer or love doggos or kiddos or antiquing or mountaineering - a travesty!

    Michaell said:

    fintail said:

    You mean CUVs ;)

    I wonder if all in the video are all actually available for purchase right now, I have only seen a couple of them.

    The Subie will be a home run, at least regionally. I expect that one to be every 3rd vehicle on the road here within a year, all with with stickers proclaiming a love for local beer, dogs, the outdoors, and maybe being a "native" (no matter if you are actually from Encino or Minneapolis or Syracuse), year-round roof racks, and maybe those goofy Subaru merit badges.

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

    Hey, we have those merit badges on our Outback!
    You'd have to figure out a way to get into our garage! :wink:

    For the record, I didn't order them, the wife and stepdaughter did.

    We at least don't have any dorky dealer information on the car.
    Please tell me you don’t have a little family of stick figures on the rear hatch too.


    With adult kids, no way!

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,049
    stickguy said:

    Any EV can use one of the many options now that aren’t supercharger (Tesla only) units. So the mustang isn’t picky. I think they may just use adapters if different plug design.

    Driver, you obviously are not a target EV customer. Because part of the deal to get all of the benefits is that yes, you sometimes have to stop to recharge. If you can’t handle that, don’t buy one! Not like it’s a surprise to the people that do buy one.

    Stick, I am probably not a target customer for an EV, but I am presenting the other side, in case anyone is trying to decide whether to get one. It is best to know about any negatives too. It also might be good for the makers to know what they have to do to convert me.
    In the Mustang review they said it felt like sitting in a tub when you are in it....which is the same for a Tesla, so that is something else they will have to overcome.
    Just my review from the darkside! B)

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • ventureventure Central PAMember Posts: 2,111
    fintail said:

    You mean CUVs ;)

    I wonder if all in the video are all actually available for purchase right now, I have only seen a couple of them.

    The Subie will be a home run, at least regionally. I expect that one to be every 3rd vehicle on the road here within a year, all with with stickers proclaiming a love for local beer, dogs, the outdoors, and maybe being a "native" (no matter if you are actually from Encino or Minneapolis or Syracuse), year-round roof racks, and maybe those goofy Subaru merit badges.

    I support the move, more gas for me, as the fintail still needs a drink here and there.

    bwia said:

    Here are five top Electrified SUVs under $40,000 for 2021, with only one American nameplate in the mix. For the most part, although they look good, they are single motor front wheel drive and standard range. One standout is the Nissan Ariya. It comes as a standard range as well as a more powerful dual motor 310 mile extended range with lots of hp and fast charging. The exterior size is just right. Compact on the outside but almost midsize on the inside. Enjoy this short video.

    I order those badges every time I get a new Subaru. When they arrive I place them gently in the trash.

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

Sign In or Register to comment.