Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

1261326142616261826192667

Comments

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543
    bwia said:

    Cadillac to discontinue the gasoline version of the CT4-V Blackwing. Who knows, it might return as an electric variant but for now it and the CT5-V Blackwing are headed the way way of the Dodo bird.

    I somehow don't think there will be too many tears shed over that one! :)

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • bwiabwia Greater BostonMember Posts: 2,835
    edited August 8

    Here is the Car & Driver link to the Cadillac CT4-V blackwing story.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37231731/2022-cadillac-ct4-v-blackwing-drive/

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543
    edited August 8
    bwia said:

    Here is the Car & Driver link to the Cadillac CT4-V blackwing story.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37231731/2022-cadillac-ct4-v-blackwing-drive/

    The car seems impressive but I have to ask myself, "What could possibly go wrong?". This car has a lot of technology and moving parts....and a lot is pretty new. Since it is the end of the line does GM worry whether buyers will be satisfied with their purchase.
    The black interior is a bit depressing, it needs something to liven it up;

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 15,752
    bwia said:

    Here is the Car & Driver link to the Cadillac CT4-V blackwing story.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37231731/2022-cadillac-ct4-v-blackwing-drive/

    That doesn't say it is discontinued. It repeats Cadillac's stated position that they will be going all-electric at some future point, which is old news. If that doesn't go so well, they could be making these for a long time. ;)

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,284
    ab348 said:

    bwia said:

    Here is the Car & Driver link to the Cadillac CT4-V blackwing story.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37231731/2022-cadillac-ct4-v-blackwing-drive/

    That doesn't say it is discontinued. It repeats Cadillac's stated position that they will be going all-electric at some future point, which is old news. If that doesn't go so well, they could be making these for a long time. ;)
    And hopefully with enough sales to keep it going but with Caddy’s track record I don’t know how. Maybe our poster buddy @graphicguy will give them ONE more chance.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,284
    I think I mentioned that I was going to Myrtle Beach this week with the family. Very nice and warm BTW. I decided to go into the pool first rather than go right to the ocean. I should have gone right to the beach. Here’s why:

    While in the pool one of the most over weight unattractive women I’ve ever seen comes waddling towards me. She’s covered front and back with tattoos like she really needs to draw attention to herself. I heard someone say, “wow, would you look at that” ? It was a middle aged guy talking to his wife (I think). She gives him the shush sign then says, “keep your voice down”. Then proceeds to say, “you should have seen her trying to get down those steps to get into the pool”. Glad I also missed that spectacle.

    Now I have to find a way to scrub what I did see out of my memory bank. HELP. :'(

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaMember Posts: 11,868

    Before there will ever be a truly significant uptick in the sale and commensurate production of EV’s, a major public investment in EV charging stations throughout the entire country coupled with significant private investment in charging capabilities in communities and cities is a prerequisite to the success of the entire EV growth initiative.

    People who own private homes already have a means to charge EV’s, but what about the populous who live in apartments and condos? I live in a community of over 5000 people who have no means of charging an EV. The cost of setting up charging stations at each building could run into the millions of dollars for the HOA if you include the necessary wiring and increased parking spaces necessary. Coordination between federal and local sources of capital investment and owner investment is essential if there is any hope of success for this endeavor nationally.

    I would have purchased an EV instead of my G90 back in March if I had a means of charging it. I am a perfect candidate for an EV due to my short trips around town. I am all for a transition to EV’s, but the ability to charge an EV must be preceded by sufficient charging capabilities. Why produce millions of EV’s if the consumer cannot easily charge their batteries?

    2021 Genesis G90

  • bwiabwia Greater BostonMember Posts: 2,835
    ab348 said:

    bwia said:

    Here is the Car & Driver link to the Cadillac CT4-V blackwing story.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37231731/2022-cadillac-ct4-v-blackwing-drive/

    That doesn't say it is discontinued. It repeats Cadillac's stated position that they will be going all-electric at some future point, which is old news. If that doesn't go so well, they could be making these for a long time. ;)
    I think this is perhaps a clever marketing ploy. Give enthusiasts the impression that this is the last run for the Gasoline CT4-V Blackwing. This may encourage them to buy what they believe might become a "collector's item" and charge them mucho dollars for the privileges.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,168
    jmonroe1 said:

    I think I mentioned that I was going to Myrtle Beach this week with the family. Very nice and warm BTW. I decided to go into the pool first rather than go right to the ocean. I should have gone right to the beach. Here’s why:

    While in the pool one of the most over weight unattractive women I’ve ever seen comes waddling towards me. She’s covered front and back with tattoos like she really needs to draw attention to herself. I heard someone say, “wow, would you look at that” ? It was a middle aged guy talking to his wife (I think). She gives him the shush sign then says, “keep your voice down”. Then proceeds to say, “you should have seen her trying to get down those steps to get into the pool”. Glad I also missed that spectacle.

    Now I have to find a way to scrub what I did see out of my memory bank. HELP. :'(

    jmonroe

    You should see some of our lucky contestants in criminal court; one particularly plump lady wore a t shirt that read,:
    "This is not a beer belly-
    It's a fuel tank for a sex machine!"

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 194,520
    bwia said:

    ab348 said:

    bwia said:

    Here is the Car & Driver link to the Cadillac CT4-V blackwing story.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37231731/2022-cadillac-ct4-v-blackwing-drive/

    That doesn't say it is discontinued. It repeats Cadillac's stated position that they will be going all-electric at some future point, which is old news. If that doesn't go so well, they could be making these for a long time. ;)
    I think this is perhaps a clever marketing ploy. Give enthusiasts the impression that this is the last run for the Gasoline CT4-V Blackwing. This may encourage them to buy what they believe might become a "collector's item" and charge them mucho dollars for the privileges.
    What, like the ‘76 Eldorado was going to be “the last of the convertibles”?

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,284

    jmonroe1 said:

    I think I mentioned that I was going to Myrtle Beach this week with the family. Very nice and warm BTW. I decided to go into the pool first rather than go right to the ocean. I should have gone right to the beach. Here’s why:

    While in the pool one of the most over weight unattractive women I’ve ever seen comes waddling towards me. She’s covered front and back with tattoos like she really needs to draw attention to herself. I heard someone say, “wow, would you look at that” ? It was a middle aged guy talking to his wife (I think). She gives him the shush sign then says, “keep your voice down”. Then proceeds to say, “you should have seen her trying to get down those steps to get into the pool”. Glad I also missed that spectacle.

    Now I have to find a way to scrub what I did see out of my memory bank. HELP. :'(

    jmonroe

    You should see some of our lucky contestants in criminal court; one particularly plump lady wore a t shirt that read,:
    "This is not a beer belly-
    It's a fuel tank for a sex machine!"
    That sounds like both of us should be in high gear looking for a good memory bank scrubber. :s

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • bwiabwia Greater BostonMember Posts: 2,835
    Extreme driving in the desert. Pushing a Willis jeep. Don't try this at home.
    https://fb.watch/7fW-PJtRLR/
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,284
    abacomike said:

    Before there will ever be a truly significant uptick in the sale and commensurate production of EV’s, a major public investment in EV charging stations throughout the entire country coupled with significant private investment in charging capabilities in communities and cities is a prerequisite to the success of the entire EV growth initiative.

    People who own private homes already have a means to charge EV’s, but what about the populous who live in apartments and condos? I live in a community of over 5000 people who have no means of charging an EV. The cost of setting up charging stations at each building could run into the millions of dollars for the HOA if you include the necessary wiring and increased parking spaces necessary. Coordination between federal and local sources of capital investment and owner investment is essential if there is any hope of success for this endeavor nationally.

    I would have purchased an EV instead of my G90 back in March if I had a means of charging it. I am a perfect candidate for an EV due to my short trips around town. I am all for a transition to EV’s, but the ability to charge an EV must be preceded by sufficient charging capabilities. Why produce millions of EV’s if the consumer cannot easily charge their batteries?

    The only true way to solve this problem is to wait for technology to find a way to do this wirelessly.

    That’s the best solution I could come up with. Too bad I’m not smart enough to know how to even start the ball rolling on this but maybe I’m smart enough to patent the idea. Remember where you heard this first.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 18,864
    abacomike said:

    Before there will ever be a truly significant uptick in the sale and commensurate production of EV’s, a major public investment in EV charging stations throughout the entire country coupled with significant private investment in charging capabilities in communities and cities is a prerequisite to the success of the entire EV growth initiative.

    People who own private homes already have a means to charge EV’s, but what about the populous who live in apartments and condos? I live in a community of over 5000 people who have no means of charging an EV. The cost of setting up charging stations at each building could run into the millions of dollars for the HOA if you include the necessary wiring and increased parking spaces necessary. Coordination between federal and local sources of capital investment and owner investment is essential if there is any hope of success for this endeavor nationally.

    I would have purchased an EV instead of my G90 back in March if I had a means of charging it. I am a perfect candidate for an EV due to my short trips around town. I am all for a transition to EV’s, but the ability to charge an EV must be preceded by sufficient charging capabilities. Why produce millions of EV’s if the consumer cannot easily charge their batteries?

    My boss told me that it cost $50k per charging station. You also need a credit card and a smart phone to access them. I foresee a time when travel by automobile will again be a privilege only for the well to do.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,963
    edited August 8

    @roadburner said:
    You should see some of our lucky contestants in criminal court; one particularly plump lady wore a t shirt that read,:
    "This is not a beer belly-
    It's a fuel tank for a sex machine!"

    One would think that people would be smart enough to present themselves in a good light if your going infront of a judge. Or are you saying that was her "Sunday go to meeting" best?

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,963

    @Michaell said:
    What, like the ‘76 Eldorado was going to be “the last of the convertibles”?

    Wasn't it until that meddling Iacocca came along?

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,168

    @roadburner said:

    You should see some of our lucky contestants in criminal court; one particularly plump lady wore a t shirt that read,:

    "This is not a beer belly-

    It's a fuel tank for a sex machine!"

    One would think that people would be smart enogjt to present themselves in a good light if your going infront of a judge. Or are you saying that was her "Sunday go to meeting" best?


    Funny that you mention that. One day an attorney had his chunky female client show up literally underdressed. I razzed him about it and he said, "I told her to wear her Sunday best. I guess for her that means to wear a bra with her tube top."

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,963

    @bwia said:
    Extreme driving in the desert. Pushing a Willis jeep. Don't try this at home.
    https://fb.watch/7fW-PJtRLR/

    Wouldn't extreme driving in the desert for a Willis Jeep had been pushing the Germans across North Africa?

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,963

    @jmonroe1 said:
    The only true way to solve this problem is to wait for technology to find a way to do this wirelessly.

    That’s the best solution I could come up with. Too bad I’m not smart enough to know how to even start the ball rolling on this but maybe I’m smart enough to patent the idea. Remember where you heard this first.

    jmonroe

    I remember, it was back in high school where I was listening to a lecture about Nikola Tesla. So I guess you're a little late.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • ventureventure Central PAMember Posts: 2,157
    I stopped at Lowes to get some paint for the porch steps since there was a 0% chance of precipitation.


    2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 43,476
    we are looking at new houses now. Told the wife that among the various extras I would add is a 240 outlet in the garage where I would put a home charger if I ever got an EV. Just to be prepared!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543
    abacomike said:

    Before there will ever be a truly significant uptick in the sale and commensurate production of EV’s, a major public investment in EV charging stations throughout the entire country coupled with significant private investment in charging capabilities in communities and cities is a prerequisite to the success of the entire EV growth initiative.

    Why produce millions of EV’s if the consumer cannot easily charge their batteries?
    Just ask, very simple solution, every unit owner buys a long extension cord;




    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLMember Posts: 5,980
    Now that looks ridiculous! And betting it'll take a good 10 hours to fill it up with electricity!

    2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,963

    @driver100 said:
    Just ask, very simple solution, every unit owner buys a long extension cord;

    Is the tape measure mandatory?

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,168
    We went up Northern Kentucky yesterday to visit some of my wife's family and check out the county fair. On the way home we ended up stuck on I-71 for five hours. I knew it was a fatal about 2 hours in as it takes a while for the accident reconstruction team to process the scene- I've taken a couple of courses on it and it is an involved process. It seems s Corvette clipped a Mini Cooper and went on to hit the guardrail. I didn't see the Corvette, but the impact damage to the guardrail was impressive. From the "Too Stupid to Breathe" file, the dimwits in the SUV in front of me fell asleep; Rather than blow the horn when traffic started moving I drove quietly around them, as did several cars behind me; I figured that they needed their rest...

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,284

    @driver100 said:

    Just ask, very simple solution, every unit owner buys a long extension cord;

    Is the tape measure mandatory?


    Probably. If you don’t have a volt meter to check the voltage drop of that set up, you gotta improvise for that too. That guy is on the ball.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLMember Posts: 5,980
    Seriously, y'all were held up for 5 hours in traffic? Wow, that's impressive. Think the longest I've ever been in was a good couple of hours on Alligator Alley back in 2013 going from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa on a Sunday afternoon. There were 12 of us bringing rentals to the airport and around mile marker 86, we got stopped. Folks around us ll got out and started throwing a football around. It was a hot afternoon and luckily, a bunch of us drivers were stuck near each other, so we got out and just bullshitted for the duration. It was obvious by the amount of emergency vehicles that passed us that this was a major accident. About 2 hours later, we started moving again.
    But, your 5 hours is a new record for me to hear of!

    2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,653
    I was stuck on the Schuylkill expressway once for 8 hours in a snowstorm. That was fun. I was only 25 miles from home the whole time.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 25,976
    edited August 9

    It seems s Corvette clipped a Mini Cooper and went on to hit the guardrail. I didn't see the Corvette, but the impact damage to the guardrail was impressive.

    Caused by a Corvette cited as being from Dayton, Ohio, area.


    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543
    jmonroe1 said:

    @driver100 said:

    Just ask, very simple solution, every unit owner buys a long extension cord;

    Is the tape measure mandatory?

    Probably. If you don’t have a volt meter to check the voltage drop of that set up, you gotta improvise for that too. That guy is on the ball.

    jmonroe

    We have our own little Scotty right here!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543

    It seems s Corvette clipped a Mini Cooper and went on to hit the guardrail. I didn't see the Corvette, but the impact damage to the guardrail was impressive.

    Caused by a Corvette cited as being from Dayton, Ohio, area.


    Watch out for those drivers from Dayton!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,168

    @imidazol97 said:
    Caused by a Corvette cited as being from Dayton, Ohio, area.

    I can’t figure out how it happened. The Corvette driver had to get things really crossed up to whack that guardrail so hard.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 25,976
    When I first looked for this info on duckduckgo.com, one source said the Corvette clipped the rear of the Mini causing the Vette to careen into the guardrail. Now I can't find any of the sources in my search that say that. (corvette fatal I71 kentucky)

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543
    Today I was on the entrance ramp ready to speed up to get on the highway and there is tire debris and twisted metal parts in the entrance lane. I had to almost stop, let a semi go by, and when it was all clear move directly onto the highway. Up ahead about 100 yards there was a truck at the side of the road with an older looking RV type trailer attached..........uneven as the flat tire must have been on the passenger side.
    That guy is not going to have a pleasant afternoon...change the tire and maybe replace some metal from the wheel well area of his trailer....and it will feel like 97F soon.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,717
    edited August 9

    Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?
    I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc.
    From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done.
    Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.

    It boils down to this, what does the policy say? And how will the courts interpret what it says.


    Most people that say they will sue are bluffing, as proven by how few actually sue insurance companies. This is what it all boils down to actually, cold-hearted calculations on the likelihood you'll put the policy language to the test; they already know they are fighting a losing war, but they know you might go AWOL before the war is over. Maybe encouraged with $1,000 nuisance money.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,717
    driver100 said:

    Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?
    I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc.
    From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done.
    Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.
    What about texting while driving? What about looking at your phone? What about having the phone in your hand? What about talking on the phone (distracted?)?

    What about talking to a passenger in your car? What about looking at a paper map? What about yelling at the kids in the back seat? what about rubber necking that cute lady walking down the road? What about reading the Burma Shave signs?

    **********************************************************************************
    (my intelligent comments below)

    Those are normal natural things you do.....that are careless. Reckless would be racing someone, driving while intoxicated, going around a corner at 80 mph in a 50 mph zone when the roads are icy...maybe. It depends on the evidence presented, you'd even have to prove over the limit if dui. Reckless is making a conscious decision to do something that you really should not be doing.

    I don't normally or naturally text while driving. I must admit I've used the talk-to-text Siri feature. Shouldn't do that, but it's not texting while driving in the sense that it is normally defined.

    Wouldn't anything anyone personally never does then be defined as reckless by them personally? Based on your explanation, I think the answer is yes. It's the only real distinction you've made between careless and reckless.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,717

    @roadburner said:

    You should see some of our lucky contestants in criminal court; one particularly plump lady wore a t shirt that read,:

    "This is not a beer belly-

    It's a fuel tank for a sex machine!"

    One would think that people would be smart enough to present themselves in a good light if your going infront of a judge. Or are you saying that was her "Sunday go to meeting" best?


    You mean my "F da POLICE!" T-Shirt might have cost me that traffic trial verdict????

    Dang it, you learn something new every day. :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543
    andres3 said:

    driver100 said:

    Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?
    I don't think we ever got an answer to this question. I am not sure but I think, from what I am looking up, there is careless driving - which is when someone makes a mistake and causes damage, and then there is reckless driving - which happens when the driver should have known better and does something he should not have been doing, such as driving under the influence, or racing etc.
    From my understanding (which might not mean a lot) you are covered in cases of careless driving, you made an accidental mistake, but if it can be proven you did something reckless, or were driving while intoxicated, your insurance company probably won't pay for damage you have done.
    Something to consider, if tempted to race someone or go around a corner too fast when it has been raining.
    What about texting while driving? What about looking at your phone? What about having the phone in your hand? What about talking on the phone (distracted?)?

    What about talking to a passenger in your car? What about looking at a paper map? What about yelling at the kids in the back seat? what about rubber necking that cute lady walking down the road? What about reading the Burma Shave signs?

    **********************************************************************************

    Wouldn't anything anyone personally never does then be defined as reckless by them personally? Based on your explanation, I think the answer is yes. It's the only real distinction you've made between careless and reckless.
    To be clear:
    Careless Driving – Traffic violations that fall under this category are considered hazardous, negligent and unsafe according to CarInsurance.com. When a driver operates their vehicle carelessly, they are driving in such a way that could cause damage to person or property. CarInsurance.com uses running a red light or driving over the speed limit as examples of careless driving. When someone receives a ticket for careless driving, the crime isn’t considered as severe as it would be if they were accused of reckless driving.
    Reckless Driving – Someone accused of reckless driving could be in serious trouble. The biggest difference between the terms “careless” and “reckless” comes from the motive behind the hazardous, negligent or unsafe driving. Someone driving recklessly has the intent to harm person or property, whereas the careless driver does not. The reckless driver is fully aware that they are driving in a hazardous manner but chooses to proceed anyway; there is a “wonton disregard” for the law and for the safety of those around them, according to FindLaw.com. Most states, as well as insurance companies, view reckless driving as a serious traffic violation

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,717
    I can tell you I have it on good authority that the CHP (California Highway Patrol) might have the best definition for reckless driving. Typically, it requires 3 consecutive or simultaneous vehicle code violations.

    Driving 200 MPH in your Audi R8, that's just an infraction for 100+ violation. No need to cry over spilled milk.

    Driving 200 MPH while making unsafe lane changes, tailgating, and/or passing on the shoulder, well, now you have 3 or more consecutive/simultaneous violations that constitute reckless driving charges.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,284

    @andres3 said:
    I can tell you I have it on good authority that the CHP (California Highway Patrol) might have the best definition for reckless driving. Typically, it requires 3 consecutive or simultaneous vehicle code violations.

    Driving 200 MPH in your Audi R8, that's just an infraction for 100+ violation. No need to cry over spilled milk.

    Driving 200 MPH while making unsafe lane changes, tailgating, and/or passing on the shoulder, well, now you have 3 or more consecutive/simultaneous violations that constitute reckless driving charges.

    So, when are you up for parole?

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543
    andres3 said:



    Driving 200 MPH in your Audi R8, that's just an infraction for 100+ violation. No need to cry over spilled milk.
    .

    Maybe it is just me but I think driving at 200 mph in an Audi R8 qualifies, " The reckless driver is fully aware that they are driving in a hazardous manner but chooses to proceed anyway".

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,543
    jmonroe1 said:

    @andres3 said:

    I can tell you I have it on good authority that the CHP (California Highway Patrol) might have the best definition for reckless driving. Typically, it requires 3 consecutive or simultaneous vehicle code violations.

    Driving 200 MPH in your Audi R8, that's just an infraction for 100+ violation. No need to cry over spilled milk.

    Driving 200 MPH while making unsafe lane changes, tailgating, and/or passing on the shoulder, well, now you have 3 or more consecutive/simultaneous violations that constitute reckless driving charges.

    So, when are you up for parole?

    jmonroe


    Do they allow you to email posts from prison?

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,284
    driver100 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    @andres3 said:

    I can tell you I have it on good authority that the CHP (California Highway Patrol) might have the best definition for reckless driving. Typically, it requires 3 consecutive or simultaneous vehicle code violations.

    Driving 200 MPH in your Audi R8, that's just an infraction for 100+ violation. No need to cry over spilled milk.

    Driving 200 MPH while making unsafe lane changes, tailgating, and/or passing on the shoulder, well, now you have 3 or more consecutive/simultaneous violations that constitute reckless driving charges.

    So, when are you up for parole?

    jmonroe

    Do they allow you to email posts from prison?

    It sure looks like it.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 16,382
    Hey, how about the history of lawns and lawn maintenance?
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 17,963

    @explorerx4 said:
    Hey, how about the history of lawns and lawn maintenance?

    That's what I've been doing wrong, I haven't been mowing my lawn in a top hat and tails.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,844
    edited August 9
    very very weird.
    Today, what would be my parents' 52nd anniversary, we got their final income tax refund.

    '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6. 56-car history and counting!

  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulMember Posts: 1,017

    From the (potentially) reckless driving files… I was heading north on I-65 through Indiana the other day, about 15 miles short of Lafayette. Traffic seemed to have randomly slowed to about 60 mph for posted construction, but with no lane closures. Then as people in front of me started to get back on it, I happened to see a Camry in my mirror losing it’s bumper cover in the passing lane, and the doing a quick spin across the road. No idea how the Escape (the car I remembered being just behind me) missed hitting the Camry, nor how fast the Camry was coming up to lose it like that.

    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 18,864
    edited August 9
    stickguy said:

    we are looking at new houses now. Told the wife that among the various extras I would add is a 240 outlet in the garage where I would put a home charger if I ever got an EV. Just to be prepared!

    I finally got to drive our Kona EV today. It was quick. It felt about as fast as a Mustang ecoboost even though the magazines say it’s a second slower at least. The only problem I noticed was that it couldn’t put all that torque down to the road with only FWD. every time I put down the pedal, the wheels would spin, including the time I gave it full throttle at 40mph.

    With the AC blasting away the advertised 260 mile range was reduced to 236. I asked the returning customer how she liked it and she said it was fine but took 8 hours to get a full charge at the station at her hotel.

    It’s a nice little car with about the same horsepower as the Hyundai turbo 1.6L. I wonder what they lease for?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 43,476
    that kind of range could work for me. Depending on where I move to and what kind of driving I will be doing! Actually an F150 Lighting could solve all the needs (other than being cheap).

    Maverick Hybrid, next best option!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

Sign In or Register to comment.