Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

1269326942696269826992724

Comments

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 44,621
    Once you hit FRA you don’t get penalized for having other income.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 16,733
    @oldfarmer50,
    Once you hit your FRA, earnings don't matter.
    What you earn prior to that in the same calendar year or before that, does.
    I haven't worked for pay since June 2020 and don't intend to do it again.
    Was able to collect UI for a good while, but I'm going to live off money I set aside for the next 6 months.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,882

    Just have to share the picture of a unique fence I saw while walking the kids' dogs. :D


    So the louvers at the top are made from a doorway door. The long ones with the knob in the middle are from some kind of wall unit (both doors were once vertical). The ones in the middle that look a bit smashed in were probably a wall unit that was in front of his car in the garage.

    I don't know, I come from the school of design that says things should look like what they are, that looks like a bunch of doors put horizontal to make some kind of a barrier between houses.....like someone once said to me, "The trouble with homemade is that it looks homemade".

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 16,733
    @driver100,
    I think they were all closet doors.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 19,297
    stickguy said:

    Once you hit FRA you don’t get penalized for having other income.

    True, and the year you reach FRA you can earn up to approximately $46k. The trouble was I was 62 and my work income took a big bump putting me way over. They would have taken back more than 3/4 of my social security. Too much for my liking.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,882

    @driver100,
    I think they were all closet doors.

    That makes sense, but some look like he drove into them or someone in that house is very rough on closet doors!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,202

    Just have to share the picture of a unique fence I saw while walking the kids' dogs. :D


    Was that Jim Morrison's house?

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,438

    @oldfarmer50,
    The courts are worried about Covid, so they are trying not to incarcerate people.
    That's just the policy right now.

    Nah, in NY it’s mainly bail reform. In the same county there was a similar case of a 15+ arrest criminal who was released without bail only to reoffend each time. There have been proposals to turn the county jail into a homeless shelter.
    Exactly- in KY there's a push to eliminate cash bail as well as eliminate the Persistent Felony Offender sentencing enhancement. Apparently it's wrong to give repeat offenders longer sentences.
    In any event, our detention center is far from empty; between myself, my first assistant, and an assistant county attorney we revoked probation on six individuals yesterday and today.
    Out of an unhealthy dose of curiosity, I’ve often wondered how that works.

    So, assuming a family doesn’t post a cash bond, I’ll assume most bonds are posted by Bondsman (and women). If bond is revoked, does that mean the bondsman is out the bond? IF that’s the case, the perp doesn’t have any skin in the game. They get bond revoked, but it wasn’t their money to begin with, right? Or, am I misunderstanding how that works?
    Kentucky eliminated bail bondsmen in the late '70s. Defendants/families/friends have to post whatever the judge orders- and if the defendant absconds the bond is forfeited on the prosecutor's motion. I mentioned this before, but a group called "The Bail Project" posts cash bonds for some "deserving" criminals. The group posted $5,000 cash bonds for two of my court's defendants and they disappeared; I wound up nicking the Bail Project for $10,000.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusMember Posts: 13,207
    Some were chatting over in CCBA about traveling (or lack thereof). Once the COVID restrictions were lifted, GF and I hit the “let’s go” button. Most notably, we went to Alaska…..



    2021 Acura TLX A-Spec-Platinum White Pearl
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,363

    Jealous.
    We had an alaskan cruise booked prior to the lockdown. Lord knows when I’ll get the chance again to finally go. Has been on my trip list since I was a kid. What’s more, I planned on taking some of my dad’s ashes because he was stationed there and always told us stories about it. Sigh.

    '21 Mach-e Select AWD, '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6, '21 WRX. 58(?)-car history and counting!

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,202

    Some were chatting over in CCBA about traveling (or lack thereof). Once the COVID restrictions were lifted, GF and I hit the “let’s go” button. Most notably, we went to Alaska…..



    My wife wants to do the Alaskan cruise this spring. We'll see if we can get there.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 44,621
    that is one cruise I would like to do. everyone I know that did it raved about it.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 198,714
    Was lucky enough to go to Anchorage, on my company's dime, years ago. Took my wife with me.

    We did a glacier tour out of Whittier - just a day trip, but the sights were amazing.

    We went in May, so the sun was out until after 10 each night.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 13,042

    @qbrozen said:
    Jealous.
    We had an alaskan cruise booked prior to the lockdown. Lord knows when I’ll get the chance again to finally go. Has been on my trip list since I was a kid. What’s more, I planned on taking some of my dad’s ashes because he was stationed there and always told us stories about it. Sigh.

    I want to … wife is absolutely against it. I’ve even shown her pictures like GG just posted. Oh well.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 16,187
    Alaska looks cold.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,820

    @ab348 said:
    Alaska looks cold.

    It is and that’s why you’d have to take me there at gun point.

    Jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,202

    @Michaell said:
    Was lucky enough to go to Anchorage, on my company's dime, years ago. Took my wife with me.

    We did a glacier tour out of Whittier - just a day trip, but the sights were amazing.

    We went in May, so the sun was out until after 10 each night.

    Well our Uncle Sam sent me to Kodiak for a few years.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAMember Posts: 8,260

    We did an Alaska cruise shortly after we moved here. Highly recommend.

    2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xE, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,438
    jmonroe1 said:

    @ab348 said:

    Alaska looks cold.

    It is and that’s why you’d have to take me there at gun point.

    Jmonroe


    An Alaska trip can be tremendous fun- in February!


    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 26,173
    We've talked replacements for dishwashers, washers and dryers, disposals, refrigerators, hot water heaters.

    How about shoulder replacements. Is there any knowledge here to share about shoulders?

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,202
    edited December 2021

    @ab348 said:
    Alaska looks cold.

    My dad visited Alaska in August and was in fairbanks and his one complaint was that nobody had air-conditioning. Some areas on the interior can hit in the 90s for a couple of weeks in the summer.

    I was on kodiak and I can honestly say the winters I spent there were the warmest winters of my life.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,120
    On shoulder replacement, if you live in a smallish town, it should be apparent who is the best in your area. It may behoove you to go to another town if there are no good reviews. Going to someone with an upper extremity fellowship is usually a good idea. Ask your primary care provider who they would go to if they needed a shoulder replacement.

    In terms of anesthesia, always agree to the block for post op pain management
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,882
    ab348 said:

    Alaska looks cold.

    We go to Florida to get away from the cold and snow....why would I look for more?

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 5,157
    I think @xwesx has already set up camp there. Rooms to rent? Tour guide service?

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,820

    @imidazol97 said:
    We've talked replacements for dishwashers, washers and dryers, disposals, refrigerators, hot water heaters.

    How about shoulder replacements. Is there any knowledge here to share about shoulders?

    Don’t start in on this stuff, OK ! 😫

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,882
    jmonroe1 said:

    @imidazol97 said:

    We've talked replacements for dishwashers, washers and dryers, disposals, refrigerators, hot water heaters.

    How about shoulder replacements. Is there any knowledge here to share about shoulders?

    Don’t start in on this stuff, OK ! 😫

    jmonroe


    I don't think we have touched on air fryer/toasters before. We just got one called a CKOZESE, not sure how to pronounce that. It does cook things like coconut shrimp very quickly and grease free, and toast comes out really well once you get the time and temp right.
    If I was advising I'd say the larger size models are good, and I'd spend more to get digital displays since there is a fair bit of adjusting.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 5,157
    edited December 2021
    Am I the only one absolutely worn out by the Lincoln ‘it’s a most unusual’ holiday ad on tv?? I wonder how much Lincoln is wasting on these? They seem to play every 15 min on multiple channels.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 16,187
    sda said:

    Am I the only one absolutely worn out by the Lincoln ‘it’s a most unusual’ holiday ad on tv?? I wonder how much Lincoln is wasting on these? They seem to play every 15 min on multiple channels.

    I've missed that one so far.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • ventureventure Central PAMember Posts: 2,233
    I was beside a guy driving an X1 this afternoon. He had an ///M badge on it. :o

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 26,173
    edited December 2021
    I was pacing an X2 on interstate. It was from Connecticut. The oddest
    thing I noticed is there is a BMW circle on the C-pillar. It looks so out-
    of-place there. I think I recall some cars of earlier decades having logos
    there, but this circle just is jarring to my visual of the BMW.

    I recall Impalas having a running Impala image there. Weren't there
    other cars who put logos on the C-pillar?


    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZMember Posts: 5,211
    When I had my 32' sailboat (in another life, years ago) I moved it to Victoria to avoid the high moorage rates in Vancouver (God knows what they're up to now -- I decided that $2/foot was too much, so went to the Oak Creek Marina in Victoria for $0.95/ft, but I digress). Back then I took a couple of cruises up the coast as far as Port Hardy on Vancouver Island and then beyond. The first one was pretty much an up-and-back over a couple of weeks, but very pleasant. The second went all the way up to Wrangell, AK, and took six weeks -- many great memories.

    Either way, I took great pleasure in going up the intermediate passage, outside of the one the cruise ships take and inside of the Queen Charlotte Strait and other open ocean stuff. Back then, the salmon fishery was controlled in a way that kept the fish boats tied up except for a few days a week, so we had the pleasure of sailing north in the complete absence of anyone or anything else having to do with civilization, other than some contrails overhead.

    That's God's country, and among my top five screwups in my life was leaving B.C.

    Either way, great memories.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 26,173
    mjfloyd1 said:

    On shoulder replacement, if you live in a smallish town, it should be apparent who is the best in your area. It may behoove you to go to another town if there are no good reviews. Going to someone with an upper extremity fellowship is usually a good idea. Ask your primary care provider who they would g. o to if they needed a shoulder replacement.

    In terms of anesthesia, always agree to the block for post op pain management

    We found a good one, a specialist within the ortho group of a large Cincinnati area group.
    My wife had gone to one of the Dayton area docs over a year ago. He was useless. Knee,
    hip replacements? Great docs here. Shoulder has been a problem; they leave.

    The Cincinnati group has encroached on Dayton area because of paucity of good group practices here.


    Doc and his fellow want to do a reverse replacement. Says for wife age and needs, it's an easier
    recovery and very satisfactory fix with the ball on the shoulder and the cup on the humerus.

    I wonder

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 19,297
    sda said:

    Am I the only one absolutely worn out by the Lincoln ‘it’s a most unusual’ holiday ad on tv?? I wonder how much Lincoln is wasting on these? They seem to play every 15 min on multiple channels.

    I must have missed that one but I find the Coors beer commercial where a snowman is playing “More than a feeling” really annoying.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 16,733
    @oldfarmer50,
    It's not a very good rendition of that song.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWMember Posts: 3,207
    @imidazol97, you are correct about the Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty. It is a quicker procedure, less painful and has quicker recovery. Agree with our Anesthesiologist that a nerve block done in the OR preoperatively is a good call. The disadvantage of the Reverse procedure is a limitation of motion at that joint but it would be fine for most people especially mature aged people.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 19,297

    mjfloyd1 said:

    On shoulder replacement, if you live in a smallish town, it should be apparent who is the best in your area. It may behoove you to go to another town if there are no good reviews. Going to someone with an upper extremity fellowship is usually a good idea. Ask your primary care provider who they would g. o to if they needed a shoulder replacement.

    In terms of anesthesia, always agree to the block for post op pain management

    We found a good one, a specialist within the ortho group of a large Cincinnati area group.
    My wife had gone to one of the Dayton area docs over a year ago. He was useless. Knee,
    hip replacements? Great docs here. Shoulder has been a problem; they leave.

    The Cincinnati group has encroached on Dayton area because of paucity of good group practices here.


    Doc and his fellow want to do a reverse replacement. Says for wife age and needs, it's an easier
    recovery and very satisfactory fix with the ball on the shoulder and the cup on the humerus.

    I wonder
    About 6 years ago I developed a very painful condition in my shoulder which I thought would require surgery. The ortho guy I went to said to try physical therapy first. I was reluctant and it was the most painful thing I have ever endured but after I stretched out the tendons I regained full mobility.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,202



    That's God's country, and among my top five screwups in my life was leaving B.C.

    Well allow me to welcome you to modern times. Welcome to A.D.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,202
    venture said:

    I was beside a guy driving an X1 this afternoon. He had an ///M badge on it. :o

    BMW just came out with an M series motorcycle the M 1000 RR. It has upgraded body parts and brakes from the S 1000 RR but performance wise it puts out the same numbers as it's non M series counterpart and for almost twice the money.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,120
    edited December 2021

    @carnaught said:
    @imidazol97, you are correct about the Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty. It is a quicker procedure, less painful and has quicker recovery. Agree with our Anesthesiologist that a nerve block done in the OR preoperatively is a good call. The disadvantage of the Reverse procedure is a limitation of motion at that joint but it would be fine for most people especially mature aged people.

    A normal (non reverse) total shoulder arthroplasty relies on the rotator cuff (or rotary cup as people like to say🤣) to keep the joint intact. If the rotator cuff is torn or not functioning normally, they do a reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. It is a reverse because they put the “cup”on the proximal humerus (normal anatomy is a “ball” at this position) and put a “ball” in the glenoid cavity (that normally is a “cup”). Hopefully that makes sense???

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,120

    Less reported complications with reverse total shoulder in this recent study

    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34659485/

  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAMember Posts: 8,260

    “Better listen to him, Flounder. He’s in pre-med.”

    2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xE, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 16,187
    sda said:

    I’m doing a happy dance, well figuratively. I was able to drive for the first time since my leg break on 9/15. Being able to drive felt so liberating! Yee haw! I still have to go to physical therapy as I still use a walker to walk more than 5 steps or so. Doing better by the day.

    Outstanding! Glad to hear such positive medical news.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 26,173
    edited December 2021
    sda said:

    I’m doing a happy dance, well figuratively. I was able to drive for the first time since my leg break on 9/15. Being able to drive felt so liberating! Yee haw! I still have to go to physical therapy as I still use a walker to walk more than 5 steps or so. Doing better by the day.

    Good to hear.

    But I have to tell you, when I hear the phrase "happy dance," I think of David on HSN/QVC and his shtick of doing a happy dance when he is tasting food to make viewers feel that he is really loving the taste.
    I hope his happy dance is how good you are feeling!

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 29,882

    Maybe it's just me but I like the way they reshaped the X2 to look sleeker, and I think the emblem on the rear quarter pillar (is that what that area is called?) is a nice classy touch;

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,820

    @sda said:
    I’m doing a happy dance, well figuratively. I was able to drive for the first time since my leg break on 9/15. Being able to drive felt so liberating! Yee haw! I still have to go to physical therapy as I still use a walker to walk more than 5 steps or so. Doing better by the day.

    That’s the best news I’ve heard today. Keep up the good work.

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,820

    @driver100 said:
    Maybe it's just me but I like the way they reshaped the X2 to look sleeker, and I think the emblem on the rear quarter pillar (is that what that area is called?) is a nice classy touch;

    I’ve always heard that normally the rear-quarter panel ends at the point of the bottom of the window line. Once above that it’s the C-Pillar.

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,363
    edited December 2021

    @jmonroe1 said:

    @driver100 said:
    Maybe it's just me but I like the way they reshaped the X2 to look sleeker, and I think the emblem on the rear quarter pillar (is that what that area is called?) is a nice classy touch;

    I’ve always heard that normally the rear-quarter panel ends at the point of the bottom of the window line. Once above that it’s the C-Pillar.

    jmonroe

    Depends on doors/windows. A pillar is up front, then work your way back. Not every car has a C pillar. While some have D pillars.

    EDIT: wait… or is it not every car has B pillars? Hmmmm

    '21 Mach-e Select AWD, '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6, '21 WRX. 58(?)-car history and counting!

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,363

    @imidazol97 said:
    I was pacing an X2 on interstate. It was from Connecticut. The oddest
    thing I noticed is there is a BMW circle on the C-pillar. It looks so out-
    of-place there. I think I recall some cars of earlier decades having logos
    there, but this circle just is jarring to my visual of the BMW.

    I recall Impalas having a running Impala image there. Weren't there
    other cars who put logos on the C-pillar?

    I loved that about our X2. Very very good looking trucklet.

    As for logos in that area, Maserati comes to mind.

    '21 Mach-e Select AWD, '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6, '21 WRX. 58(?)-car history and counting!

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,820

    @qbrozen said:

    @jmonroe1 said:

    @driver100 said:
    Maybe it's just me but I like the way they reshaped the X2 to look sleeker, and I think the emblem on the rear quarter pillar (is that what that area is called?) is a nice classy touch;

    I’ve always heard that normally the rear-quarter panel ends at the point of the bottom of the window line. Once above that it’s the C-Pillar.

    jmonroe

    Depends on doors/windows. A pillar is up front, then work your way back. Not every car has a C pillar. While some have D pillars.

    I agree but that’s why I said “normally”. Now, with today’s new styles I think they’ve created new definitions for body panels.

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
Sign In or Register to comment.