Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    And you would think a former seller of books would promote proper grammar. 😆

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    With the weather threat of sleet, snow and ice, the local weather folks are having the time of their life of proclaiming emergency! Not to discount the fact we will have bad weather but the build up is crazy. Grocery and hardware stores with full parking lots and stripped clean of inventory.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    sda said:

I thought you'd been on here longer than that.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    sda said:

I don’t think you need grammar when you sell picture books.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    Tsunamis in Santa Cruz CA? What the heck?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

We’ve been under a Tsunami advisory all day because of our proximity to the shores of puget sound. No big deal.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    stickguy said:

I tend to put midgrade in the Acura. Pricing on that is weird, since I believe it is created on the spot by pumping from both RUG and PUG tanks (so there is no midgrade tank). But quite often, the price is skewed way closer to one of those 2.

At my Conoco station recently RUG about 3.20, mid 3.27, but PUG 3.59 (something along those lines). I don't mind, it just seems odd.

Here at normal stations there's a 30 cent step R-M-P. The name stations sometimes have a 40 cent step R-M and 50 cent step M-P. I have seen Shell with a 50 cent R-M step to make their price on teh sign low to compete with other stations selling the same gas with supposedly different additives.

However, in the old days, the pumps used to have readout meters on fuel that pump had used for the regular feed and the premium feed. I watched those meters when I was pumping Midgrade and the regular would pump 2 gallons for 1 gallon of premium. So each gallon of Mid was 1/3 premium and 2/3 regular.
    But the price was midway between the two. So it was more profitable for the company since the price should have been 1/3 of the way between regular adn premium.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited January 2022
    sda said:

OP claimed elementary schools there didn't emphasize good grammar. I checked with my wife,
    a Permanent Licensed Ohio teacher with a Masters Degree and a special area in Reading, and
    she says here we always taught and emphasized proper grammar.

Why do the teaching without doing it right? Would you want your Mercedes assembled to
    the colloquial level of correctness or to the exacting quality the advertising propaganda
    wants everyone to believe that car gets? < Humor off>

• Options

stickguy said:

I tend to put midgrade in the Acura. Pricing on that is weird, since I believe it is created on the spot by pumping from both RUG and PUG tanks (so there is no midgrade tank). But quite often, the price is skewed way closer to one of those 2.

At my Conoco station recently RUG about 3.20, mid 3.27, but PUG 3.59 (something along those lines). I don't mind, it just seems odd.

Here at normal stations there's a 30 cent step R-M-P. The name stations sometimes have a 40 cent step R-M and 50 cent step M-P. I have seen Shell with a 50 cent R-M step to make their price on teh sign low to compete with other stations selling the same gas with supposedly different additives.

However, in the old days, the pumps used to have readout meters on fuel that pump had used for the regular feed and the premium feed. I watched those meters when I was pumping Midgrade and the regular would pump 2 gallons for 1 gallon of premium. So each gallon of Mid was 1/3 premium and 2/3 regular.
    But the price was midway between the two. So it was more profitable for the company since the price should have been 1/3 of the way between regular adn premium.
    I guess you’d call that a transfer fee.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291

We’ve been under a Tsunami advisory all day because of our proximity to the shores of puget sound. No big deal.

The entire west coast has been under an advisory. I think the biggest surge has been 2’.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    sda said:

lol....but I learned a valuable lesson....good grammar and great writing doesn't necessarily sell. John Grisham's first book was a literary masterpiece and it won awards when he finally found someone who would publish it.....but it didn't sell. He studied how to write a best seller and he found the formula, and he wrote the Firm, which sold millions. The same thing happened to Sydney Sheldon, his first book was The Naked Face, it won awards but didn't sell very well, then he dumped the idea of writing great literature and wrote mega sellers ; A Stranger in the Mirror, (1976) ; Bloodline, (1977) ; Rage of Angels, and many more.

The lesson is, if you are too literate people ignore you, you're boring to the masses, so I write and speak in what I call, "Popular English".......to keep my fan base happy. :D

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

sda said:

OP claimed elementary schools there didn't emphasize good grammar. I checked with my wife,
    a Permanent Licensed Ohio teacher with a Masters Degree and a special area in Reading, and
    she says here we always taught and emphasized proper grammar.

Why do the teaching without doing it right? Would you want your Mercedes assembled to
    the colloquial level of correctness or to the exacting quality the advertising propaganda
    wants everyone to believe that car gets? < Humor off>
    I taught elementary school in 1969 to 1972, and got my permanent certificate, but teaching wasn't for me. At the time the program was not to have students lose their creativity by having them worry about grammar or spelling. It was probably an idea that had to be tested. I think it made sense, but I doubt if it became a permanent idea. I think people can get hung up on good grammar or spelling and lose sight of the big picture.

It's like the Beatles, they aren't graduates of The Juilliard School of Music, and they may not be able to play classical music, but they make music that is enjoyed by the masses, that most people can relate to. Do you want to be as correct as possible or do you want to appeal to the masses? I think making a car is different, with a car you want it to be as perfect as possible, engineering and mechanically etc. With literature, you could be Shakespeare or Dickens, but you would probably starve these days, you have to be able to write stuff Netflix will show, or write best sellers like Grisham and Stephen King etc.

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    edited January 2022

I’ve always been fascinated by people who talk about money (other than purposes of salary equity). Mostly because they seem to think someone cares, and 9 times out of 10, no one does.

My neighbor is an author who hit it big with a self published series of books. He's making a lot of $, but his only conversation is what he is buying next or where he and his wife either went out to eat or will be going next. Over and over and over again. At his house up here he has 5 cars including a Maserati. He bought a Ferrari 360 spider, but his wife doesn't like it so it's for sale. I finally told him that I don't want to hear about every time I see him, but to no avail.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    edited January 2022
    stickguy said:

Our Costco doesn't have mid-grade. But the premium is listed a non-ethanol, so that's probably why.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    sb55 said:

I’ve always been fascinated by people who talk about money (other than purposes of salary equity). Mostly because they seem to think someone cares, and 9 times out of 10, no one does.

My neighbor is an author who hit it big with a self published series of books. He's making a lot of $, but his only conversation is what he is buying next or where he and his wife either went out to eat or will be going next. Over and over and over again. At his house up here he has 5 cars including a Maserati. He bought a Ferrari 360 spider, but his wife doesn't like it so it's for sale. I finally told him that I don't want to hear about every time I see him, but to no avail.
    It isn't easy making a living from writing books...probably one in a million makes it...so maybe that is why he is the way he is. I could be wrong, but buying 5 cars and bragging about it doesn't sound like a happy, content person. I am guessing, but it would seem a content person buys the car they really want...maybe a few if they are like Jay Leno and love cars, but they have other interests and things they can talk about....and maybe ask you something to learn a little more about what other people are like, or what they are thinking too (btw.......I know this too is not a preposition, and it was redundant but I thought I would throw it in).

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

@sb55 said:
    Our Costco doesn't have mid-grade. But the premium is listed a non-ethanol, so that's probably why.

The Costcos around here don't have mid grade and PUG has ethanol so its not an ethanol thing.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@snakeweasel said:

@sb55 said:

The Costcos around here don't have mid grade and PUG has ethanol so its not an ethanol thing.

I have never been to a Costco that sold mid grade gasoline. Only RUG and PUG. My twin brother lives up in Ponte Vedra FL (just south of Jacksonville) and none of the Costcos up there sell mid grade gasoline.

My G90 owner’s manual only “recommends” PUG, but with twin turbos and 365 hp, I choose only to put PUG into the tank. If Costco offered mid grade, I might try it to see if mpg’s or performance was negatively affected.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882
    If you want to use a mid-grade, couldn't you just pump half premium and half regular?

What is mid-grade even for? For saving $3 or $4 when you fill up?

I don't remember ever seeing that any of my cars required a "mid-grade gasoline", just an octane rating that translated to regular or premium.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    buying more octane than you need is a waste. So yes, it is saving money. Some cars that can use higher octane gas are happier with mid grade but don't need premium. Our old TL was listed as RUG OK, premium recommended (like ever Acura, even though they used identical engines to Honda that was RUG). My sister bought it new, I sold it at 175k with engine like new. That car never ran happy on RUG (a little knocking) but was perfect on mid. Going to PUG made no noticeable difference, so it got mid grade it's entire life. on our V6 RDX I ran all 3 grades at different times, and could never tell what was in the tank. And a couple of my best MPG runs were on RUG.

I have no desire to pay an extra $4 for the same amount of gas to go the same distance if I don't have to.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I feed my cars a steady diet of MUG. There's smoother running, IMHO, on it compred to RUG. And it may be delivering a small improvement in fuel mileage. YEMV.

One engine is a 1.4 L turbo. The other a 2.5L NA that's using dual variable valve timing to maximize performance and mileage. Both are GM.

As for which is grammatically correct, I don't know. LOL

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    venture said:

If you want to use a mid-grade, couldn't you just pump half premium and half regular?

I don't remember ever seeing that any of my cars required a "mid-grade gasoline", just an octane rating that translated to regular or premium.

PUG is 50 cents a gallon more than MUG at my usual station. Filling up the BMW would mean a 6 to 7 dollar savings per fill up. This would result in a 2 cent a mile reduction in gas costs which adds up over time.

The octane rating on the BMW translates to mid grade.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I've noticed that Marathon stations tend to stick to the 30/30 steps between R-M-P while other name brand stations tend to do 30, 40, 50 cent steps. So I usually buy Marathon M, R, P depending on how I feel at the time. But I also have Kroger fuel points to use which usuallly take $1.00 off a 35 gallon fill up once a month, and I have points for my coffee quick market to use which can be up to $1.50 off every 45 days for 25 gallons. However, they both are quality fuels.

I believe fuels from all 3 stations come from the same pipeline station 30 miles away at a fuel depot.

• Options

I feed my cars a steady diet of MUG. There's smoother running, IMHO, on it compred to RUG. And it may be delivering a small improvement in fuel mileage. YEMV.

One engine is a 1.4 L turbo. The other a 2.5L NA that's using dual variable valve timing to maximize performance and mileage. Both are GM.

As for which is grammatically correct, I don't know. LOL

Since they’re GM cars that would make them NOT grammatically correct. ;)

jmonroe
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926

On more important topics…. Go Eagles!!!!!!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

You’re a dreamer but they do have a better chance than the Steelers.

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    “The lesson is, if you are too literate people ignore you, you're boring to the masses, so I write and speak in what I call, "Popular English".......to keep my fan base happy. :D

That’s ok, I’ll skip the novel but can I get a t-shirt or a coffee mug? :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe
    I'm still basking in the glow of the Bengals having won last evening. This has been
    a long, slow drudge since 1980 when I could barely give away the good seats I had
    won in a contest for the Bengals in the previous stadium. Good seats, mind you.

• Options
    @kyfdx
    Was Kyfdx out there in Paul Brown Stadium watching the Bengals win?

• Options
    stickguy said:

buying more octane than you need is a waste. So yes, it is saving money. Some cars that can use higher octane gas are happier with mid grade but don't need premium. Our old TL was listed as RUG OK, premium recommended (like ever Acura, even though they used identical engines to Honda that was RUG). My sister bought it new, I sold it at 175k with engine like new. That car never ran happy on RUG (a little knocking) but was perfect on mid. Going to PUG made no noticeable difference, so it got mid grade it's entire life. on our V6 RDX I ran all 3 grades at different times, and could never tell what was in the tank. And a couple of my best MPG runs were on RUG.

I have no desire to pay an extra $4 for the same amount of gas to go the same distance if I don't have to.

My Mustang could run on regular but got 5% more horsepower on premium. After the upgrades in required 91 octane but I put 90 octane in once and it ran fine. My other cars do fine on 87.

Interestingly, we are required to put only regular in the company cars, even Maseratis. I never heard a ping out of any of them.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    How about those Pats? Bills Josh Allen was dominant last night.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    May everyone's favorite football team win.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@venture said:

Minimum octane rating shows as 91 in my manual, but most premium brands, including Costco, rate their PUG as 93 octane down here in South Florida.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

@kyfdx
    Was Kyfdx out there in Paul Brown Stadium watching the Bengals win?

No, I had season tickets from 1990-2010. Probably only been to 8-10 games, since then.
    Now, I watch from the comfort of my couch. Pretty sweet result!

I did get out to three UC games this year, including at Notre Dame and the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

Unless they are playing my team. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Yep, the Pats ran into a buzz saw last night.

jmonroe
  • Options

was an entertaining game.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Hanging head in shame right now

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Thank you! Ended up being invited to the Bengals GAME. It was ELECTRIC at the stadium. We tailgated AFTER the game for about 45 mins waiting for traffic to clear.

People and monetary bragging….whenever someone quizzes me about my monetary status, I tell them to take whatever number they imagine me having, and to multiply it by 5, and they’ll be a little short! ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Read a blurb yesterday from BP stating it’s now beginning to be more profitable putting. In electric charging stations than to put in gasoline pumps. And, that will become the catalyst to quickly build out charging station infrastructure.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    having a lot more convenient charging stations will certainly be nice. But until all the EVs can super fast charge, and the majority of the charge points support that, it will still be a problem of taking way too long to make a charge stop (especially with the majority of EVs having real world ranges in the 200 mile range. at best.

I go from SJ to Albany area frequently, and quite often leave after dinner (so maybe driving from 8-12 at night). Zero chance I want to have to stop at some sketchy, deserted parking area behind a rest stop to spend an hour plugged in. And have to schedule another stop later to get home.

• Options
    We’ve had a day of weather. Since around 2:30 am, sleet, freezing rain, strong winds, more sleet and now snow showers. Did not budge from the house. Our two dogs are less than impressed with not being able to go outside and into the yard. It is pretty. Thankfully all is well.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    That’s good news @abacomike
  • Options
    @abacomike,
    I petition the lord with prayer for you and Justin every week.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    edited January 2022

Eagles made me very sad. Buccs had a little help from the zebras (of course), but Eagles mostly just beat themselves. So much odd play calling and bad on-field decisions.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

“The lesson is, if you are too literate people ignore you, you're boring to the masses, so I write and speak in what I call, "Popular English".......to keep my fan base happy. :D

That’s ok, I’ll skip the novel but can I get a t-shirt or a coffee mug? :D

Sure, the novel costs $30, a T-shirt or coffee mug is just $39.99...see the website for details.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    The December Pats reared their ugly heads against the Bills. Josh Allen is an E ticket ride, fun to watch, given my low expectations for the Pats (but hope sprang eternal. Until the end of the first quarter, we've been to this rodeo before). Did not expect the Pats to do their best Jacksonville imitation...
    So, we're on to next season and the continuing education of Mr. Jones. And, hopefully, a younger, faster defense.
    Money? I had too much, so I moved to Massachusetts and that took care of that! Hence, my love of Costco.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    For some reason, the bye week killed the Pats.
    Who knew the play to spark the Chiefs was a defensive TD by the Steelers?
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    The Bengals-Raiders game was very entertaining. Cowboys-49ers was one-sided until near the end when it got wild, but was spoiled by the Cowboys shooting themselves in the foot all day. I like Mike McCarthy’s personality but I don’t think he is a great coach. The other games were meh for me. The problem with expanding the playoffs is that you get lower quality teams in the bottom seeds and that gives poor game matchups.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@ab348 said:
    The Bengals-Raiders game was very entertaining. Cowboys-49ers was one-sided until near the end when it got wild, but was spoiled by the Cowboys shooting themselves in the foot all day. I like Mike McCarthy’s personality but I don’t think he is a great coach. The other games were meh for me. The problem with expanding the playoffs is that you get lower quality teams in the bottom seeds and that gives poor game matchups.

But it makes more money for the league and that’s what it’s all about. If by chance you get entertained good for you but you have to follow the money.

jmonroe