Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

1272727282730273227332815

Comments

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaMember Posts: 12,043

    @jmonroe1 said:
    Good news @Mike. When you’re well enough to replace a garage door spring we’ll know you’re all the way back.

    jmonroe

    About 35 years ago, I was in my garage trying to tighten the garage door spring - it snapped and I ended up in the hospital in surgery so they could sew my left hand back together. Those (garage door springs) are not to be fooled with - dangerous as heck!!! 😩

    2021 Genesis G90

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,682

    Bills fans probably disagree about the great game part.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504
    abacomike said:

    @jmonroe1 said:

    Good news @Mike. When you’re well enough to replace a garage door spring we’ll know you’re all the way back.

    jmonroe

    About 35 years ago, I was in my garage trying to tighten the garage door spring - it snapped and I ended up in the hospital in surgery so they could sew my left hand back together. Those (garage door springs) are not to be fooled with - dangerous as heck!!! 😩


    Yeah but you now know what not to do. We know you’re not a quitter. B)

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,915

    My 12-yr-old is happy with the outcome. He won $20 off my BIL. My kid even made him sign a “contract” last night pertaining to the wager. Lol.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504
    stickguy said:

    Bills fans probably disagree about the great game part.

    Probably. But I'm sure our old poster buddy @houdini1 like it.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyMember Posts: 6,184

    Just thought I'd throw this issue in here, as you guys talk about everything under the son, and I don't recall ever seeing it before. But, one of my garage door springs broke last week. If it wasn't so cold may have attempted the repair myself. But, I called a garage door company, they came out and replaced both springs to the tune of $320. Only took the guy about 30 minutes to complete the repair. I've read those springs can be a bit dangerous and tricky if you're not careful. The repair guy had all his fingers, so it's probably not too difficult.

    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 16,877
    qbrozen said:


    I can't believe how BAD the KC defense is playing, but OMG, this game is nuts. They scored more in the last 120 secs of regulation than many entire games have had this year.

    Both teams had zero defense by the end. Probably exhausted, but still detracted from the game for me. It was ridiculous that the Bills couldn't contain the other side with just 13 seconds to play. Wasted a super-human performance by Josh Allen. Best hit of the second half was when Diggs leveled the idiot Kelce fan trying to steal the ball. Maybe the Bills should have put Diggs out on D.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,007
    ab348 said:

    p
    IMHO, Driver, any unsolicited email/text/phone call from a source you aren't familiar with is 98.25% of the time is a scam. The other 1.75%, likely you don't want to talk with them anyway! ;)

    Just over the last few days I have experienced what seems to be an epidemic of what must be scammy posts in some of the FB groups I follow. These are in groups like “This Old House” and some automotive ones. I or someone else comments on a post, and that generates a reply from a female name with an attractive profile pic saying how clever/witty/kind the reply was, and how they couldn’t send me a friend request so could I please message/friend them? That makes me block them immediately but I wonder what the scam involves.
    The answer, my friend, is that the song (scam) remains the same; they want (your) money and, likely, your identity.
    Or, it's legit and you'll meet the love of your life. Give it a try, let us know how that works out! :D

    A fond, but bittersweet adieu to my '13 Jaguar XF. And so, I present this laurel, and hearty handshake to the new boss; '21 Audi A7 PHEV. '09 Jag XK , '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco ; all special to me. And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... I've yet to buy a car I didn't like. Although, do I really want to drive a car that would have someone such as me as its owner?

  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,007
    Watching the playoff games really drove home what an average, at best, Patriots team we had this year. But, better than the bad, at best, team of last season!
    Congrats to all the winners, thanks for entertaining football! And, wow, let's let the Bills/Chiefs play a few more!

    I changed my garage door springs in my former home. Luckily, no injuries, but as I learned by doing, I also learned about the potential catastrophic (abacomike) results in a job poorly done, or a mistake during the process.

    A fond, but bittersweet adieu to my '13 Jaguar XF. And so, I present this laurel, and hearty handshake to the new boss; '21 Audi A7 PHEV. '09 Jag XK , '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco ; all special to me. And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... I've yet to buy a car I didn't like. Although, do I really want to drive a car that would have someone such as me as its owner?

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 26,393
    edited January 24
    RE: Winding axial springs on garage doors

    The key is respecting the laws of physics while using the two steel rods to
    do the winding. It's very easy to do the work physically. In case you make
    a mistake and don't have a good grip on each rod while it's holding the force,
    make sure your body is not in the way of the rods if the hub you're twisting
    starts spinning and throws the rod. It's like working under a car doing brakes
    and calipers and rotors: always have the jackstands to support the car should
    the jack or another jackstand fail. AND never have a body part like your leg
    or foot under where the car could fall.

    Otherwise--The Guy

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,682

    The guy called back. He will be here after lunch.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504
    jipster said:

    Just thought I'd throw this issue in here, as you guys talk about everything under the son, and I don't recall ever seeing it before. But, one of my garage door springs broke last week. If it wasn't so cold may have attempted the repair myself. But, I called a garage door company, they came out and replaced both springs to the tune of $320. Only took the guy about 30 minutes to complete the repair. I've read those springs can be a bit dangerous and tricky if you're not careful. The repair guy had all his fingers, so it's probably not too difficult.

    It’s not difficult.

    For less than 40 bucks you could have purchased a pair of garage door springs.

    For 320 bucks I’d like to install garage door springs for you. I’ll have forgotten all about my cold fingers while I’m on the beach for the rest of the Winter.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 26,393
    edited January 24
    abacomike said:

    It’s 49 degrees down here and they forecast mid 40’s for lows tonight. For south Florida, that’s darn cold. I might have to turn the heat on tomorrow morning.

    I think we need to impose a blackout on @abacomike telling us how nice the weather is in
    Florida while we're here suffering in teens and single digits at times in Ohio. :)
    Cold in Ohio should be my username?

    Hearing this reminds me of the 1970s Florida's psychological therapy method of having a large hose
    in the Welcome Center and a sign inviting Northerners to use the hose to
    wash the salt off our cars as we arrive from the frozen northland on vacation.
    My buddy and I were heading to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my sister and escape
    from snow for a few days after Christmas. No salt needed in Florida to melt snow. LOL

    I think that was the trip when the Burger King burned down in Ft. L. while we
    were there. Our favorite place to eat.

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,682
    I had a new opener installed for that price.

    I watched some videos on how to do it. Still not interested.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504
    ab348 said:

    qbrozen said:


    I can't believe how BAD the KC defense is playing, but OMG, this game is nuts. They scored more in the last 120 secs of regulation than many entire games have had this year.

    Both teams had zero defense by the end. Probably exhausted, but still detracted from the game for me. It was ridiculous that the Bills couldn't contain the other side with just 13 seconds to play. Wasted a super-human performance by Josh Allen. Best hit of the second half was when Diggs leveled the idiot Kelce fan trying to steal the ball. Maybe the Bills should have put Diggs out on D.
    It makes you wonder what coaches really know about the game they coach. Anyone with a pea-brain knows that you squib kick the ball with 13 seconds left to make them field the ball and use at least 5 seconds thereby only allowing one play. Maybe Mahomes could have done that but limiting how many tries you give someone like him, gives you a better chance of winning.

    I’ll bet the sport talk shows in Buffalo are buzzing this morning.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170

    abacomike said:

    It’s 49 degrees down here and they forecast mid 40’s for lows tonight. For south Florida, that’s darn cold. I might have to turn the heat on tomorrow morning.

    I think we need to impose a blackout on @abacomike telling us how nice the weather is in
    Florida while we're here suffering in teens and single digits at times in Ohio. :)
    Cold in Ohio should be my username?

    Hearing this reminds me of the 1970s Florida's psychological therapy method of having a large hose
    in the Welcome Center and a sign inviting Northerners to use the hose to
    wash the salt off our cars as we arrive from the frozen northland on vacation.
    My buddy and I were heading to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my sister and escape
    from snow for a few days after Christmas. No salt needed in Florida to melt snow. LOL

    I think that was the trip when the Burger King burned down in Ft. L. while we
    were there. Our favorite place to eat.
    cold in ohio-- haha

    not anymore as back in Florida as was pointed out by several including our cold buddy in nova scotia

    GDO- our spring broke several years ago in florida; loud bang-- could not figure out what happened until leaving in AM and GDO would not open.. it was a hurricane door-- really heavy and could not get open to go to work!!! had the guy come fix it..
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504

    abacomike said:

    It’s 49 degrees down here and they forecast mid 40’s for lows tonight. For south Florida, that’s darn cold. I might have to turn the heat on tomorrow morning.

    I think we need to impose a blackout on @abacomike telling us how nice the weather is in
    Florida while we're here suffering in teens and single digits at times in Ohio. :)
    Cold in Ohio should be my username?

    Hearing this reminds me of the 1970s Florida's psychological therapy method of having a large hose
    in the Welcome Center and a sign inviting Northerners to use the hose to
    wash the salt off our cars as we arrive from the frozen northland on vacation.
    My buddy and I were heading to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my sister and escape
    from snow for a few days after Christmas. No salt needed in Florida to melt snow. LOL

    I think that was the trip when the Burger King burned down in Ft. L. while we
    were there. Our favorite place to eat.
    More than likely because too many folks ordered their burgers well done.

    That’s what happens when your slogan is, “you get it your way”.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 30,313
    edited January 24
    @coldinohio Yah, where is that ab guy.....sending all that cold air down from Canada. I had to play tennis in 52F temperature this morning......only 58 now :@

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 30,313
    edited January 24
    So, I am going to turn left this morning at one of those arrow lights.
    Green flashing arrow comes on, the first guy is asleep and 3 cars could have gone through by the time he gets moving.
    2nd, 3rd and 4th cars are pretty slow too....leaves me with a solid yellow and then red arrow, and then flashing yellow.
    I move into the center of the intersection. There's about 20 cars lined up to get through the light from the opposite direction.
    Finally my arrow is solid yellow and then red. and I assume opposite traffic light goes red. I know one guy is still coming at me and will go thru on red, and the next guy is looking pretty aggressive........I think I'll wait and see before trying to make my turn.......he is going to go thru too, by then the light was red for a few seconds. I have to make my turn when the light is green for traffic going across the other way. I could have been creamed while waiting in the middle of the intersection. I don't know what someone has to do to get a ticket around here.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 13,105

    @imidazol97 said:

    I don't know anything about Enzo's but the article says rare and value went from $600K to $3.5 million.

    I wonder if the shop had papers disclaiming responsibility for damages signed before work done?

    I wonder how much insurance the owner has on the vehicle?

    it's not like replacing a Jeep or a Mercedes for a customer's loss.

    I'm pretty sure waviers for damages doesn't cover willful acts or negligence.


    This all comes back to two groups of people:

    1) like me, I view virtually all collisions as negligence.
    2) others, that if they didn't intend, plan, and pre-meditate the crash, then it's an "accident."

    Need to add "Negligents" to the English Language.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,525
    andres3 said:

    @imidazol97 said:

    I don't know anything about Enzo's but the article says rare and value went from $600K to $3.5 million.

    I wonder if the shop had papers disclaiming responsibility for damages signed before work done?

    I wonder how much insurance the owner has on the vehicle?

    it's not like replacing a Jeep or a Mercedes for a customer's loss.

    I'm pretty sure waviers for damages doesn't cover willful acts or negligence.

    This all comes back to two groups of people:

    1) like me, I view virtually all collisions as negligence.
    2) others, that if they didn't intend, plan, and pre-meditate the crash, then it's an "accident."

    Need to add "Negligents" to the English Language.


    Basically what I am saying is that wavers for damages just cover things that are beyond their control. Say that they have the car parked outside and there is a sudden hail storm that damages the car, the shop isn't responsible. Or if it is hit by another vehicle that is not in the control of the shop or one of it's employees. Stuff like that. In this case I don't think that a damage waver will protect the shop.

    That being said there are times when #$%@ just happens and it's really no ones fault. Plus # 2 on your list is the definition of accident (otherwise they would call it a purpose).

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,682
    Guy came. Doors fixed. Always nice to see a truck full of all the right parts and tools, and someone that knows how to use them!

    He installed new set of springs on broken door (based on memory, I think they were about 17 years old). Decided to not proactively replace the other door. Those springs were quite a bit newer and looked fine. So yes, I know this means one will snap next week!

    Discussed the opener. He thought it looked and worked fine, but the crappy wire splice to the sensors (from place that put the last opener on) looked very sketchy. So he cut them off and did new connections and sealed them up good. He did not think it justified replacing the unit if working normally.

    So, hopefully all stays well with that door otherwise I might be eating a 2nd service call charge. With any luck it keeps functioning until it’s TNGP.

    Total hit was $195. Well worth it to not have to mess with it all myself. Plus no trip to the store to figure out the right springs to buy and whatever ancillary parts needed. And he hopefully resolved issue with the other opener, no extra charge!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 16,877
    stickguy said:


    Total hit was $195. Well worth it to not have to mess with it all myself. Plus no trip to the store to figure out the right springs to buy and whatever ancillary parts needed. And he hopefully resolved issue with the other opener, no extra charge!

    Doesn't matter. JMonroe will still be shaming you for not risking life and limb by not attempting to do something you know nothing about by yourself. :@

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,682
    I hope JM pushes a mower around his yard all summer instead of paying a guy. And does all his own interior painting.

    That’s easy stuff he better not be paying for!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZMember Posts: 5,287
    And. . . away we go.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504
    stickguy said:

    I hope JM pushes a mower around his yard all summer instead of paying a guy. And does all his own interior painting.

    That’s easy stuff he better not be paying for!

    For the last 2 Summers I have had my grass cut by my 2 oldest grandsons. The oldest started working a Advance Auto Parts this Summer so he turned the grass cutting over to his younger brother. I have 2 more grandsons waiting their turn when #2 decides to get a job. In other words I’m now retired from grass cutting and it feels pretty good too.

    As for painting, we’re about finished with that on flip house #3. Will hone my skills doing that on flip #4 which we haven’t even started working on yet.

    You don’t have to worry about me keeping busy since Son #1 will see to it that I don’t get too lazy. :(

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyMember Posts: 6,184

    @jmonroe1 said:
    It’s not difficult.

    For less than 40 bucks you could have purchased a pair of garage door springs.

    For 320 bucks I’d like to install garage door springs for you. I’ll have forgotten all about my cold fingers while I’m on the beach for the rest of the Winter.

    jmonroe

    Think my DIY friend said he bought a pair of springs for $90. But they were from the company that did my repair, so a bit of markup there. After looking at YouTube DIY videos, looked fairly easy....if you're careful.

    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,525
    edited January 24

    My DIY project for today.

    Before:

    After:

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 13,624

    So I had to call “the guy” twice in one week.

    Heater at the shore has the condensate pan clogged somewhere. It is leaking water into the garage storage room. I knew enough to clean the line that runs outside and the tube that runs inside the heater but they were both clear. Tech comes tomorrow.

    Other call is for the ice maker in my Samsung fridge. It finally is to the point where defrosting it doesn’t work. Good thing even though it’s out of warranty Samsung fixes it on their dime because of how wide spread an issue it is.

    I wonder what the third thing to break will be…

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 13,624

    @snakeweasel said:
    My DIY project for today.

    Before:

    After:

    Looks great

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAMember Posts: 8,590
    tjc78 said:


    I wonder what the third thing to break will be…

    your willpower?
    2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2008 Infiniti G35
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 13,624
    edited January 24

    @28firefighter said:
    your willpower?

    Quite possibly! Lol.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 26,393
    edited January 24
    I did it.

    I came home from lunch and sat checking computer help forum and noticed a drip, drip, drip sound from the laundry room--just like when the AC is dripping into the drain in the humid days of summer. Went in. Noticed water from the water heater blow out pipe going into the drain, same drain the AC condenser drain uses.

    Tried opening and letting the pressure blow valve closed. Kept dripping. Touched the blowout pipe. Hot as Hades. Same for the exit water pipe for the heater. Too hot. .

    Turned off electricity. All's good. Started testing for which thermostat is bad. Top one I found, after I removed the bottom one first.

    I searched and found replacement thermostat at local box stores. Am in process of replacing. The 5 or 6 wires connections are arranged slightly different on the replacement stat. AND it's taller, so the two wires from the bottom element aren't long enough. I'm going to have to go into attic and cut a piece of scrap wire to get red and black solid copper wires to extend the wires from the bottom, using wire nuts or the slide on connectors. Have to move out the Malibu tomorrow to get the stairs down.

    Hot water was over 150 deg F this morning at the tap. I'm surprised the high temp thermostat didn't disconnect everything.

    I didn't have to call The Guy. I feel like I'm "The Man" since I have this under control.

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,682
    good luck!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 30,313
    1 min 30 seconds what can happen when trying to fix a garage door spring. If in a hurray catch last 30 seconds. He says to call "The Guy".

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,682

    That’s the front mount style. Side springs are not under tension when you put them on at first.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 30,313
    stickguy said:

    That’s the front mount style. Side springs are not under tension when you put them on at first.

    Doesn't matter....I ain't touching nothing that could spring into my eye. :)

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504
    driver100 said:

    1 min 30 seconds what can happen when trying to fix a garage door spring. If in a hurray catch last 30 seconds. He says to call "The Guy".

    If I was in the biz and wanted more biz for myself and others like me I’d be making videos too.

    Years ago I talked to a dentist who told me a patient of his messed up his mouth using an electric tooth brush. He said the guy didn’t push the brush all the way in and it came off when he was brushing his teeth. The guy needed a couple stitches on the roof of his mouth and he said the guy threw the electric brush away after that happened.

    Yep, some folks should never be allowed around moving machinery.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 13,624

    Tech came to look at heater. Looking like new heat exchanger time! Typically that would mean new heater, but apparently Carrier extended the warranty on these because they had so many issues. Looking like parts are covered and about half the labor. Tech told me max of $600. Could be worse.

    Ice maker repair re-scheduled to Thursday.

    So… got nowhere today lol

    @imidazol97
    Nice job!

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZMember Posts: 5,287
    jmonroe1 said:

    Yep, some folks should never be allowed around moving machinery.

    I think it was the Geezinslaw brothers who pointed out, in a song that I'm willing to bet no one else on here has ever heard of, partly because it's 40 years or more old, that it's necessary to stay away from wheelbarrows, since they were machinery.

    Extra credit if anyone can cite the song.

    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 13,105


    All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

    The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,409

    Scrolling, scrolling, scrolling

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504
    andres3 said:



    All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

    The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

    How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

    I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

    I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,504
    mjfloyd1 said:

    Scrolling, scrolling, scrolling

    I usually do but for the sake of safety I felt compelled to respond.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,525
    jmonroe1 said:

    andres3 said:



    All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

    The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

    How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

    I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

    I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

    jmonroe
    The guy filming was really going way too fast for the traffic he was in. The so called left lane camper was only in the left lane for what 7 seconds and merged into the left lane when the driver filming it was quite a distance behind. My guess is that if he wasn't doing 180+ it would have been a non issue.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,525
    Just got back from the dentist. Bad news is one half of my mouth is numb and the other half is yelling to the numb half "wake up dude'. On the plus side these new fillings are great, the messages from the CIA are coming in nice and clear.

    2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 54,863
    Unrestricted Autobahn in a society where driving skill is given some value. Still a dangerous speed for that traffic, even if Mazda driver, assuming they are a local, are taught to look far back when venturing into the left lane of an unlimited section, as you never know what's coming.

    In most of this country, that left lane would have had at least a few dopes playing on their phone/eating/talking.
    jmonroe1 said:

    andres3 said:



    All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

    The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

    How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

    I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

    I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

    jmonroe
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 13,105
    jmonroe1 said:

    andres3 said:



    All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

    The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

    How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

    I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

    I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

    jmonroe
    First, this was on the limitless Autobahn so "above the legal speed limit" is a non-starter as an argument.

    Speed controllers are the ones causing all the high speed collisions, you have it backwards. I don't much give a hoot about drivers so bad they crash into inanimate non-moving objects.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 30,313

    jmonroe1 said:

    andres3 said:



    All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

    The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

    How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

    I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

    I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

    jmonroe
    The guy filming was really going way too fast for the traffic he was in. The so called left lane camper was only in the left lane for what 7 seconds and merged into the left lane when the driver filming it was quite a distance behind. My guess is that if he wasn't doing 180+ it would have been a non issue.
    Exactly....the guy going 150 mph in the BMW was the most reckless guy on the road. he was going way to fast considering the speed of the other cars around him, and he wouldn't be able to react in time if someone pulled into his lane at the wrong time. He wasn't driving defensively, and he could have collided with the Mazda if the timing of the Mazda passing happened a bit later.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 13,105
    edited January 25
    fintail said:

    Unrestricted Autobahn in a society where driving skill is given some value. Still a dangerous speed for that traffic, even if Mazda driver, assuming they are a local, are taught to look far back when venturing into the left lane of an unlimited section, as you never know what's coming.

    In most of this country, that left lane would have had at least a few dopes playing on their phone/eating/talking.

    jmonroe1 said:

    andres3 said:



    All's well until the end when a middle lane camper and left lane camper/illegal unsafe lane changer combine both of their negligence at the same time to make a near miss. Only not a wreck due to excellent braking by the BMW M4.

    The middle lane camper should NEVER have been in that lane. The left lane camper should NEVER have been in the left/passing lane at that time crossing over two lanes. The whole thing set in motion due to someone not knowing the first thing about driving in the correct right lane.

    How fast was that idiot driving? It sure seemed like he was way above the legal speed limit.

    I never really thought of this before but if it weren’t for lane campers that force idiots to slow down there would be even more high speed accidents.

    I think some lane campers should be called, “speed controllers”.

    jmonroe
    It's been said in addition to the Mazda switching over 2 lanes consecutively (a big NO NO in Germany), that their signal wasn't used (another big NO NO everywhere). I'm still having problems with the fact the right lanes are completely open and empty; making this whole incident so entirely needless.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
Sign In or Register to comment.