Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 16,041

36 years as of 4/12.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 5,075

@dad23 said:
    25 in September here, still having fun :wink:

————————————————

FIBBER.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,118
    Heading into year 6 of Rocky II for me. I think I'm doing ever so better this go round. A positive. And, a shame.

A fond, but bittersweet adieu to my '13 Jaguar XF. And so, I present this laurel, and hearty handshake to the new boss; '21 Audi A7 PHEV. '09 Jag XK , '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco ; all special to me. And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... I've yet to buy a car I didn't like. Although, do I really want to drive a car that would have someone such as me as its owner?

• jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyMember Posts: 6,221

@jmonroe1 said:

@jipster said:
    Well....jmonroe is going to revoke my membership on this one. I took the money and ran again. 😞

My field adjuster called yesterday, total of all damages, minus the deductible, was around $6,500. It was a lot more $$$ than was anticipating. Field adjuster said he thought it was more than fair. My wife said I yelled out, "SHOW ME THE MONEY!", immediately before I fainted.

With the extra

@kyfdx said:
    15 years of wedded bliss.. that's not too bad out of 29 years total.

Batting a little over .500. That's pretty good! LOL. Will be 30 years for Mrs. Jip and myself on June 20th... or is it the 25th? Oops 😬

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,598

I’ll be at 34 years in June

• dad23dad23 ColoradoMember Posts: 788
    jmonroe1 said:

@dad23 said:

25 in September here, still having fun :wink:

————————————————

FIBBER.

jmonroe

We are...most of the time, when she says so...

@dad23 said:
    We are...most of the time, when she says so...

———————————————
    That’s more like it.

jmonroe

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moMember Posts: 30,674
    I'll be a total of 39 years in July, 12th with the h-ex and 27 with MrsD100.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@driver100 said:

———————————————
    I just woke up. Can you explain that?

jmonroe

I'll be a total of 39 years in Ju
    jmonroe1 said:

@driver100 said:

———————————————

I just woke up. Can you explain that?

jmonroe

12 + 27 = 39 total.

• sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontMember Posts: 573
    I'll be at 45 July 2. Unfortunately that's a work day for us :(

2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Ext. cab with 6.2 V-8, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Member Posts: 18,710

@sb55 said:

Well congratulations on that and for all of us that are spending our lives with the ones we love having it been 1 year or 50.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@sb55 said:

Well congratulations on that and for all of us that are spending our lives with the ones we love having it been 1 year or 50.

.....or if it has been 1 year and feels like 50 years!

Does anyone know about backup valves? How well do they work? How much are they? Do you think they are a good idea?

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 17,338
    driver100 said:

Does anyone know about backup valves? How well do they work? How much are they? Do you think they are a good idea?

You mean, for sewers?

When I had a bathroom put into the basement in 2017 the plumber had to open up the concrete floor to access the sewer line so I asked him about one of those. He responded that they were more trouble than they were worth, which I found odd. I think he just didn't want to do it. Turned out he was a lousy plumber too so I think that was the reason.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Does anyone know about back
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

You mean, for sewers?

When I had a bathroom put into the basement in 2017 the plumber had to open up the concrete floor to access the sewer line so I asked him about one of those. He responded that they were more trouble than they were worth, which I found odd. I think he just didn't want to do it. Turned out he was a lousy plumber too so I think that was the reason.
    Yes, I did mean for sewers. A lot of streets in the city have old infrastructure and those houses have major floods a few times a year. I believe the city helps pay for a backup valve. I have not heard of someone getting one.....but, it would seem to be a good idea to have one, for most people, depending on the actual cost......it isn't nice having a drain pipe spill.

edited May 11
    Can anyone explain this? We discussed on C&C how we were talking about getting a new sink and we were close enough to Alexa that she could hear us, and reported we were looking at sinks and ads started popping up on our computers for new sinks.

Yesterday, I was in the kitchen, and as I was putting the spatula away it broke in half. I discussed with MrsD100 that we will have to get a new spatula, either from amazon or the grocery store. Immediately, we started getting ads for spatulas. We didn't look it up, we weren't close enough to Alexa for her to hear. Could a cell phone pick that up....or streaming from the TV? I don't get that one!

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

You mean, for sewers?

Maybe your plumber wasn’t very good but I agree with him about a check valve being buried under concrete. Something that moves will require maintenance some day. That being said I wouldn’t do it.

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

Can anyone explain this? We discussed on C&C how we were talking about getting a new sink and we were close enough to Alexa that she could hear us, and reported we were looking at sinks and ads started popping up on our computers for new sinks.

Yesterday, I was in the kitchen, and as I was putting the spatula away it broke in half. I discussed with MrsD100 that we will have to get a new spatula, either from amazon or the grocery store. Immediately, we started getting ads for spatulas. We didn't look it up, we weren't close enough to Alexa for her to hear. Could a cell phone pick that up....or streaming from the TV? I
    don't get that one!

————————————————

Sounds like your house is bugged. Maybe your government is responsible. They have the right to do this when they suspect you are cheating on your taxes.

jmonroe

My daughter took possession of her Subaru Outback yesterday. Says "Whoop Dee Doo!". Not the greatest photo due to the sun, but says she'll send more. Of note is the list of dealer add ons. It looks like the service contract overpriced at $2,600...and not even offered thru Subaru.? Any add ons you'd bite on?

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 209,774
    jipster said:

My daughter took possession of her Subaru Outback yesterday. Says "Whoop Dee Doo!". Not the greatest photo due to the sun, but says she'll send more. Of note is the list of dealer add ons. It looks like the service contract overpriced at $2,600...and not even offered thru Subaru.? Any add ons you'd bite on?

Depending on how much she put down and how much she’s financing, maybe the GAP

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAMember Posts: 8,771
    edited May 11
    driver100 said:

Yesterday, I was in the kitchen, and as I was putting the spatula away it broke in half. I discussed with MrsD100 that we will have to get a new spatula, either from amazon or the grocery store. Immediately, we started getting ads for spatulas. We didn't look it up, we weren't close enough to Alexa for her to hear. Could a cell phone pick that up....or streaming from the TV? I don't get that one!

Alexa isn't listening unless you say the wake word and see the blue ring spinning. Most devices that contain voice assistants like Google and Apple perform similarly. However, advertising algorithms are so good these days that your behavior can be predicted that closely that you experience moments like this. Your devices could have been muted or unplugged and you still would have seen these ads.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Hyundai Elantra N
    @28firefighter Thanks for answering, but I know Alexa listens even when it isn't turned on. When we talked about a new sink, Alexa was off for sure. This has happened several times, I don't use Alexa very often.

Maybe the house is bugged like JMonroe suggested, we were in the kitchen when the spatula broke and we had the replacement discussion, well out of earshot of Alexa or anything. I know very little, but of course our phones receive our Gmail, and maybe they are always listening in for key words. When we talked about getting an air fryer....we started to get ads, but that Alexa might have listened in on.

I don't know if it is the government listening in....but if they want to know about our spatula situation they can listen all they want.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAMember Posts: 8,771
    driver100 said:

@28firefighter Thanks for answering, but I know Alexa listens even when it isn't turned on. When we talked about a new sink, Alexa was off for sure. This has happened several times, I don't use Alexa very often.

Maybe the house is bugged like JMonroe suggested, we were in the kitchen when the spatula broke and we had the replacement discussion, well out of earshot of Alexa or anything. I know very little, but of course our phones receive our Gmail, and maybe they are always listening in for key words. When we talked about getting an air fryer....we started to get ads, but that Alexa might have listened in on.

I don't know if it is the government listening in....but if they want to know about our spatula situation they can listen all they want.

You're the expert! I'd encourage you to read about interest based, cross-contextual advertising though.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Hyundai Elantra N
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 20,579
    driver100 said:

It’s a government listening device hidden in your credit card and powered by the chip in your arm.

From now on only speak in code. :#

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ventureventure Central PAMember Posts: 2,390
    driver100 said:

My daughter-in-law text me a picture of the swing set they are having assembled for their boys. The next morning an ad for that swing set (or one awfully close to it) was on my start page on my computer.

Creepy!

2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

jipster said:

Wow, that’s a lot of baloney. The glass protection should be included in any decent insurance which you have to get anyway.

That looks like the list the dealer pulled out when we bought my son’s Ford. As I recall, if we had taken all the junk they offered it would have doubled the price of the car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,118
    I boxed up Alexa when I moved. And, boxed she remains. Not sure I've missed her dulcet tones.

A fond, but bittersweet adieu to my '13 Jaguar XF. And so, I present this laurel, and hearty handshake to the new boss; '21 Audi A7 PHEV. '09 Jag XK , '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco ; all special to me. And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... I've yet to buy a car I didn't like. Although, do I really want to drive a car that would have someone such as me as its owner?

edited May 11

The 3 oil changes and 3 tire rotations package is reasonable to pretty good at $149.

Any difference in tire rotation intervals with a 4wd?

jipster said:

The 3 oil changes and 3 tire rotations package is reasonable to pretty good at $149.

Nope.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 210,321
    @jipster Nice ride!

Nope, I wouldn't pay for anything extra

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

jipster said:

Don't get any of them. They will be happy to charge you for whatever you need IF you need it.

Speaking of sprinklers. This probably isn't right. B)

driver100 said:

You're the expert! I'd encourage you to read about interest based, cross-contextual advertising though.
    I am the opposite of an expert, all I know is Google found out I needed a new spatula, and I have no idea how....oldfarmer says the government is listening in...possible, venture had a swing set emailed to him and then he gets an ad for one, laurasdada has boxed up his Alexa but it is probably still listening and sending back signals.
    I know someone has sent me an email saying they checked out a new Mustang, and I get ads for Mustangs. I don't care, if someone wants to look into my life I don't care....it will bore them to death.

Michaell said:

jipster said:

Depending on how much she put down and how much she’s financing, maybe the GAP
    None of them are worth it. Oil changes were for 36 months....one a year, might not even come out to $150. That GAP insurance is a good idea, but it sounds very expensive, I had it on the 2015 E400 which was totaled and they did give me an equivalent car....GAP cost me $25, I bought it for the 2017 and it had gone up to $100, but $995 sounds pretty steep.

driver100 said:

Last night as we were sitting down to dinner I started to hear Waylon Jennis singing "Are You Sure Hank Done it This way" coming from upstairs. Yep it was Alexa up in our loft playing it. No was did anyone say play anything nor could it hear us and no one was near it. It just decided to start playing.

driver100 said:

Alexa isn't listening unless you say the wake word and see the blue ring spinning. Most devices that contain voice assistants like Google and Apple perform similarly. However, advertising algorithms are so good these days that your behavior can be predicted that closely that you experience moments like this. Your devices could have been muted or unplugged and you still would have seen these ads.
    Yeah you keep thinking that. They have to listen continuously otherwise they wouldn't hear the "wake" word.

• explorerx4explorerx4 North Central OHMember Posts: 17,761
    edited May 11
    @snakeweasel,
    At least Alexa picked a great song.
    It could be your phone or TV that is monitoring conversation or maybe ghost of Waylon.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT, 91 Mustang GT vert
    venture said:

driver100 said:

My daughter-in-law text me a picture of the swing set they are having assembled for their boys. The next morning an ad for that swing set (or one awfully close to it) was on my start page on my computer.

Creepy!
    Recently I bought a wallet (nice thin one I really like it) online. I'm still getting ads for wallets. How many wallets do I need?

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I am the opposite of an expert, all I know is Google found out I needed a new spatula, and I have no idea how....oldfarmer says the government is listening in...possible, venture had a swing set emailed to him and then he gets an ad for one, laurasdada has boxed up his Alexa but it is probably still listening and sending back signals.
    I know someone has sent me an email saying they checked out a new Mustang, and I get ads for Mustangs. I don't care, if someone wants to look into my life I don't care....it will bore them to death.
    They know you like spatulas because they follow you and know you spend a lot of time here:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Yep, just like us they’ll learn that soon enough but not too soon, :|

jmonroe

@snakeweasel,
    At least Alexa picked a great song.
    It could be your phone or TV that is monitoring conversation or maybe ghost of Waylon.

I usually have my phone in sensors off mode so it can't hear what I am saying, or see things through the camera, my TV isn't young enough to hear anything and Waylon haunting my house would be awesome.

driver100 said:

Last night as we were sitting down to dinner I started to hear Waylon Jennis singing "Are You Sure Hank Done it This way" coming from upstairs. Yep it was Alexa up in our loft playing it. No was did anyone say play anything nor could it hear us and no one was near it. It just decided to start playing.
    ————————————————

IT’S ALIVE.

jmonroe

venture said:

driver100 said:

Creepy!
    Recently I bought a wallet (nice thin one I really like it) online. I'm still getting ads for wallets. How many wallets do I need?
    ————————————————

Well, if we had your money, at least a dozen.

jmonroe
    “ ....oldfarmer says the government is listening in. I don't care, if someone wants to look into my life I don't care.“

No, I said the government is plotting against you. B) One day they’ll decide that spatula using, Mustang driving people who frequently travel to foreign lands fit a negative profile and you wind up under the hot lights. :'(

I can lend you my tin foil hat if you like.

kyfdx said:

@jipster Nice ride!

Nor would I. After all, it's a Subaru, so it should smell and look like it is inhabited by a pack of dogs. B)

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You should do a sneaky test to be sure. Stage a conversation with Mrs. D100 about something you never talk about - let's say hip-hop music - and see what happens later.

• tommister2tommister2 Mechanicsville, VAMember Posts: 380

@driver100 said:
    None of them are worth it. Oil changes were for 36 months....one a year, might not even come out to $150. That GAP insurance is a good idea, but it sounds very expensive, I had it on the 2015 E400 which was totaled and they did give me an equivalent car....GAP cost me $25, I bought it for the 2017 and it had gone up to $100, but $995 sounds pretty steep.

I agree that’s way too much for gap insurance. I think most car insurance companies offer it for much less. That might vary from state to state…

2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

@jipster Nice ride!

Nor would I. After all, it's a Subaru, so it should smell and look like it is inhabited by a pack of dogs. B)
    Hey now!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

“ ....oldfarmer says the government is listening in. I don't care, if someone wants to look into my life I don't care.“

No, I said the government is plotting against you. B) One day they’ll decide that spatula using, Mustang driving people who frequently travel to foreign lands fit a negative profile and you wind up under the hot lights. :'(

I can lend you my tin foil hat if you like.

Don’t waste your money. Anyone who can a afford a Winter home in Florida so they can get away from Canadian Winters can afford a box of tin foil.

jmonroe