Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    He needs 'the guy' to shape the tin foil so it works. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

Adam on Rare Classic Cars and Automotive History had a 4 part interview with Bob Lutz which I found very interesting and engaging. My wife listened to part 4 and was very interested, not
    so much about the automotive perspective but from a business point of view. Especially in regards to killing creativity, morale and micro management. She surprised me with this for my birthday last Monday 5/9.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    @28firefighter Thanks for answering, but I know Alexa listens even when it isn't turned on. When we talked about a new sink, Alexa was off for sure. This has happened several times, I don't use Alexa very often. Maybe the house is bugged like JMonroe suggested, we were in the kitchen when the spatula broke and we had the replacement discussion, well out of earshot of Alexa or anything. I know very little, but of course our phones receive our Gmail, and maybe they are always listening in for key words. When we talked about getting an air fryer....we started to get ads, but that Alexa might have listened in on. I don't know if it is the government listening in....but if they want to know about our spatula situation they can listen all they want.
    My daughter-in-law text me a picture of the swing set they are having assembled for their boys. The next morning an ad for that swing set (or one awfully close to it) was on my start page on my computer. Creepy!
    Recently I bought a wallet (nice thin one I really like it) online. I'm still getting ads for wallets. How many wallets do I need?
    ———————————————— Well, if we had your money, at least a dozen. jmonroe

I have money? My bank doesn't think I do.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@28firefighter Thanks for answering, but I know Alexa listens even when it isn't turned on. When we talked about a new sink, Alexa was off for sure. This has happened several times, I don't use Alexa very often.

Maybe the house is bugged like JMonroe suggested, we were in the kitchen when the spatula broke and we had the replacement discussion, well out of earshot of Alexa or anything. I know very little, but of course our phones receive our Gmail, and maybe they are always listening in for key words. When we talked about getting an air fryer....we started to get ads, but that Alexa might have listened in on.

I don't know if it is the government listening in....but if they want to know about our spatula situation they can listen all they want.
    My daughter-in-law text me a picture of the swing set they are having assembled for their boys. The next morning an ad for that swing set (or one awfully close to it) was on my start page on my computer.

Creepy!

Recently I bought a wallet (nice thin one I really like it) online. I'm still getting ads for wallets. How many wallets do I need?
    ————————————————

Well, if we had your money, at least a dozen.

jmonroe

I have money? My bank doesn't think I do.

————————————————-

Banks don’t know everything but Alexa does.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

@ab348 said:
    Nor would I. After all, it's a Subaru, so it should smell and look like it is inhabited by a pack of dogs. B)

Oh... it will. Two rather large dogs. That should qualify as a pack. 😉

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    What I meant by the TV listening is really the cable box/remote. Mine can't be turned off unless it loses power.
    It also has a voice remote. You have to push a button the talk to it, but that doesn't mean it isn't listening.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    jipster said:

My daughter took possession of her Subaru Outback yesterday. Says "Whoop Dee Doo!". Not the greatest photo due to the sun, but says she'll send more. Of note is the list of dealer add ons. It looks like the service contract overpriced at $2,600...and not even offered thru Subaru.? Any add ons you'd bite on?

Holy Moly, Batman! $6,805 in add-ons!

Like I keep saying, I don't need a new car right now. As long as the game is this crooked, this stacked against the buyer, I prefer to stay at home and sit this one out.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

@28firefighter Thanks for answering, but I know Alexa listens even when it isn't turned on. When we talked about a new sink, Alexa was off for sure. This has happened several times, I don't use Alexa very often.

Maybe the house is bugged like JMonroe suggested, we were in the kitchen when the spatula broke and we had the replacement discussion, well out of earshot of Alexa or anything. I know very little, but of course our phones receive our Gmail, and maybe they are always listening in for key words. When we talked about getting an air fryer....we started to get ads, but that Alexa might have listened in on.

I don't know if it is the government listening in....but if they want to know about our spatula situation they can listen all they want.

You're the expert! I'd encourage you to read about interest based, cross-contextual advertising though.
    I am the opposite of an expert, all I know is Google found out I needed a new spatula, and I have no idea how....oldfarmer says the government is listening in...possible, venture had a swing set emailed to him and then he gets an ad for one, laurasdada has boxed up his Alexa but it is probably still listening and sending back signals.
    I know someone has sent me an email saying they checked out a new Mustang, and I get ads for Mustangs. I don't care, if someone wants to look into my life I don't care....it will bore them to death.
    You should do a sneaky test to be sure. Stage a conversation with Mrs. D100 about something you never talk about - let's say hip-hop music - and see what happens later.
    Great idea. I am going to whisper in a far corner of the house.............should we buy another Pfister? Now if I get ads for Pfisters, I will know someone is listening in.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited May 2022

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You're the expert! I'd encourage you to read about interest based, cross-contextual advertising though.
    I am the opposite of an expert, all I know is Google found out I needed a new spatula, and I have no idea how....oldfarmer says the government is listening in...possible, venture had a swing set emailed to him and then he gets an ad for one, laurasdada has boxed up his Alexa but it is probably still listening and sending back signals.
    I know someone has sent me an email saying they checked out a new Mustang, and I get ads for Mustangs. I don't care, if someone wants to look into my life I don't care....it will bore them to death.
    They know you like spatulas because they follow you and know you spend a lot of time here:

https://youtu.be/2XbCWmY0eqY
    That Spatula City ad is hilarious...I really LMAO and I like that they have spatulas for every occasion, even Bar Mitzvahs :D
    Buy 9 and you get one for 1 cent........just what I need, 10 of them!

@henryn said:
    Holy Moly, Batman! $6,805 in add-ons!

Like I keep saying, I don't need a new car right now. As long as the game is this crooked, this stacked against the buyer, I prefer to stay at home and sit this one out.

I remember when they said this chip shortage would be over a year ago. Think she waited about as long as she could. On the plus, I should be able to get a decent price on the clunker.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You should do a sneaky test to be sure. Stage a conversation with Mrs. D100 about something you never talk about - let's say hip-hop music - and see what happens later.
    Agree with @ab348

But, I'd add to leave your phones out in the car or the garage and mention something ONLY around one of the devices at a time. Then watch to see what happens.

I'd do the test with the phones as well. One at a time and away from Alexa or whatever Amazon's spy is called.

As to emails, I've read that google (Alphabet) scans emails, so if you use gmail, hotmail, to send or mention something and you start seeing ads, consider the spying through email scanning.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Agree with @ab348

But, I'd add to leave your phones out in the car or the garage and mention something ONLY around one of the devices at a time. Then watch to see what happens.

I'd do the test with the phones as well. One at a time and away from Alexa or whatever Amazon's spy is called.

As to emails, I've read that google (Alphabet) scans emails, so if you use gmail, hotmail, to send or mention something and you start seeing ads, consider the spying through email scanning.

I mentioned 3 things while we had breakfast, and only MrsD100s cell phone was nearby. I didn't get any ads from that, Samsonite, Pfister, Range Rover Discovery. I don't know how they heard us say Spatula....maybe it has to be a generic product. Still looking into it.

edited May 2022
    Guy takes his car in for an oil change. A 19 year old who has no license does the oil change, he doesn't have a drivers license, he starts the car to test it, the car lurches forward and kills a mechanic. The owner of the Jeep is being sued for $15 million. Sound crazy, that could be you or me!

The customer brought his Jeep into the Rochester Hills Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership for a regular oil change. Unfortunately, a 19-year-old mechanic, did not know how to operate a manual stick-shift, and did not possess an active driver’s license, decided to remove his foot from the clutch, causing the vehicle to jump and kill 42-year-old mechanic Jeffrey Hawkins.

The baffling part of this story is that the family cannot sue the dealership because the accident occurred in the workplace between two employees. “We can’t because of a legal standard that is involved,” says attorney David Femminineo. You can't sue the dealer because it involved two employees.

Instead, the person being sued for this accident is the car’s owner, who had nothing to do with it.

Spoiler....here's the explanation if you want to know why. The only person the lawyer can possibly sue is the car owner. They will probably settle for something, maybe not $15 million but something like $5 million. That is so the poor dead mechanics family will get some money out of this...the lawyer's job is to get the money however he can. And then the owner of the car will have to sue the dealership. A little bit circuitous but, it is the only recourse for getting the mechanics family compensation. But, it makes you think - who would think they could be sued by taking their car in for an oil change.

Story and video: https://www.powernationtv.com/post/jeep-owner-being-sued-for-15-million-after-oil-change-accident-causes-mechanics-death

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    I read that the other day. Wasn't it because of a law specific to that state?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Agree with @ab348

I mentioned 3 things while we had breakfast, and only MrsD100s cell phone was nearby. I didn't get any ads from that, Samsonite, Pfister, Range Rover Discovery. I don't know how they heard us say Spatula....maybe it has to be a generic product. Still looking into it.
    You've typed "spatula" at least five times in this discussion. I'll be surprised if you DON'T get spatula spam.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    We now know @driver100's password.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    You know Spatula City is monitoring this and now we will all get spatula ads.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

jmonroe > @snakeweasel said:

———————————————

Better not. :#

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Guy takes his car in for an oil change
    venture said:

The law is in many states and it applies in Ontario Canada.

edited May 2022
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Agree with @ab348

You've typed "spatula" at least five times in this discussion. I'll be surprised if you DON'T get spatula spam.
    I used the word spatula 5 times in one day because I only used it 3 times in all of last year.
    Now the big news, I talked to the IT expert who worked for us in our business and here is how Google picked up on the word SPATULA:

Mrs D100's cell phone was on and nearby. In her settings she had left "Google Assistant" on. Assistant allows her to ask Google a question and it answers, just like Alexa. It heard me say spatula.
    Google Assistant is now turned "OFF".

It didn't send ads when I said Pfister, Samsonite, Range Rover because they probably weren't signed up. If I said something more generic like stove, I'd probably get ads from companies that signed up to advertise stoves.

I ordered a new one from Spatula City.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

Guy takes his car in for an oil change. A 19 year old who has no license does the oil change, he doesn't have a drivers license, he starts the car to test it, the car lurches forward and kills a mechanic. The owner of the Jeep is being sued for $15 million. Sound crazy, that could be you or me!

The customer brought his Jeep into the Rochester Hills Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership for a regular oil change. Unfortunately, a 19-year-old mechanic, did not know how to operate a manual stick-shift, and did not possess an active driver’s license, decided to remove his foot from the clutch, causing the vehicle to jump and kill 42-year-old mechanic Jeffrey Hawkins.

The baffling part of this story is that the family cannot sue the dealership because the accident occurred in the workplace between two employees. “We can’t because of a legal standard that is involved,” says attorney David Femminineo. You can't sue the dealer because it involved two employees.

Instead, the person being sued for this accident is the car’s owner, who had nothing to do with it.

Spoiler....here's the explanation if you want to know why. The only person the lawyer can possibly sue is the car owner. They will probably settle for something, maybe not $15 million but something like $5 million. That is so the poor dead mechanics family will get some money out of this...the lawyer's job is to get the money however he can. And then the owner of the car will have to sue the dealership. A little bit circuitous but, it is the only recourse for getting the mechanics family compensation. But, it makes you think - who would think they could be sued by taking their car in for an oil change.

Story and video: https://www.powernationtv.com/post/jeep-owner-being-sued-for-15-million-after-oil-change-accident-causes-mechanics-death

Here’s a lawyer’s take on that.

https://youtu.be/yVXN1oEWKZE

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

Here’s a lawyer’s take on that.

Nicely explained....still doesn't seem right.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    driver100 said:

Guy takes his car in for an oil change

venture said:

The law is in many states and it applies in Ontario Canada.
    My point was; it's not universal.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Michigan is also the state that thinks a tire rotation doesn't have to include tightening the lug nuts back on the wheels.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    As we should all know, the law is an [non-permissible content removed].

Not even those TV judges would agree with holding the car owner responsible.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@driver100 said:
    I ordered a new one from Spatula City.

Did SpongeBob take that order?

Q,
    You don't need to import from the Far East, this guy from Virginia already has everything you could dream of. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVxEuMbftE

Q,
    You don't need to import from the Far East, this guy from Virginia already has everything you could dream of. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVxEuMbftE

On top of that he sounds pretty knowledgeable about the biz too. In fact, he says he has a PhD. What more can you ask for?

jmonroe
    That PHD quip was pretty funny.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

Q,

Yes, I'm familiar with Duncan Imports. Been haunting that website for a few years. But look at all of these importers' asking prices vs what they go for in Japan ... it is quite the markup. I'd imagine, if my Gloria is everything promised, I imagine they'd want AT LEAST $10k for it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Q,

Yes, I'm familiar with Duncan Imports. Been haunting that website for a few years. But look at all of these importers' asking prices vs what they go for in Japan ... it is quite the markup. I'd imagine, if my Gloria is everything promised, I imagine they'd want AT LEAST $10k for it.
    ————————————————

That is quite a mark up. If I ever get out of the house flipping biz with my Son I know what my next endeavor will be. Hell, I might just do it on my own. Doesn’t sound like as much heavy lifting. I wonder what it will take for him to fire me? :o

jmonroe
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2022
    Duplicate. Too bad. So sad.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

————————————————

Sorry to be the one to tell you this but @snakeweasel posted that 2 days ago.

You’re in the penalty box for the rest of today.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Am not....I watched it 2 days ago and it was hilarious....my comment was to another posters comments after........try to keep up!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    replaced the cabin air filter today in the RDX. just over 2 years old, but with only 14K miles and living in the garage, it probably did not need it. Hard to tell how dirty since they start out gray from the charcoal. Did not look too bad though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I decided to wait until after we had the house power washed to finish up the door.
    Put some finish paint on the door frame today.
    jmonroe1 is probably going to have a heart attack over my slow pace. :D

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Am not....I watched it 2 days ago and it was hilarious....my comment was to another posters comments after........try to keep up!
    ————————————————

I was posting that comment to @imidazol97. He understood that.

You’re the one who should keep up or maybe learn how to read who posts what and to whom. :/

jmonroe

I decided to wait until after we had the house power washed to finish up the door.
    Put some finish paint on the door frame today.
    jmonroe1 is probably going to have a heart attack over my slow pace. :D

———————————————-

Not me. I’m not the fastest myself but it’s usually a pretty good job when I’m finished. BTW, that trim looks like it needs a little more sanding and filling and at least one more coat of paint.

jmonroe
    @jmonroe1,
    I'm going to do some light sanding and another coat of paint, then that's it for the door frame.
    After that I'm also going to paint the doors and the kick plate.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    I am doing the Explorer routine too. spent the first half of this week redoing the family room. paint was somewhat shabby and I had a nasty looking wall crack. So I repaired that and repainted the whole room (a pain since it is large with 9' ceilings). But, it is done, and bright fresh and clean. as a bonus we took all the extra crap out, so this room is actually staged and ready to list. The living room, different story, but I am at least consolidating the mess into a smaller space!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

@stickguy said:
    I am doing the Explorer routine too. spent the first half of this week redoing the family room. paint was somewhat shabby and I had a nasty looking wall crack. So I repaired that and repainted the whole room (a pain since it is large with 9' ceilings). But, it is done, and bright fresh and clean. as a bonus we took all the extra crap out, so this room is actually staged and ready to list. The living room, different story, but I am at least consolidating the mess into a smaller space!

I don’t envy you at all! We did so much to get our place ready for sale. It was worth it, but a lot of work

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    ————————————————

You’re the one who should keep up or maybe learn how to read who posts what and to whom. :/

jmonroe
    If you do the quote right, it should say who you were referring to...or quoting. No name attached!

I really like the Lincoln in the new Netflix Lincoln Lawyer series.

A 4 door convertible....how cool is that!

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    ————————————————

jmonroe
    If you do the quote right, it should say who you were referring to...or quoting. No name attached!
    Still trying to twist things around. Funny how when you know how to read and comprehend there isn’t a problem. @imidazol97 didn’t have a problem understanding what I posted and I doubt anyone else in here did either.

I’m sure you’ll try to twist this post around too. That seems to be your best trait.

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    stickguy said:

replaced the cabin air filter today in the RDX. just over 2 years old, but with only 14K miles and living in the garage, it probably did not need it. Hard to tell how dirty since they start out gray from the charcoal. Did not look too bad though.

Brave man; the car could have burst into flame!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    So my first assistant is having knee replacement surgery in a couple of weeks; she's been told that she will be out for three weeks but I think that may be very optimistic. With the exception of the grand jury I'll be running the whole show until she gets back. Should be fun...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Hang in there.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    ————————————————

jmonroe
    Still trying to twist things around. Funny how when you know how to read and comprehend there isn’t a problem. @imidazol97 didn’t have a problem understanding what I posted and I doubt anyone else in here did either.

I’m sure you’ll try to twist this post around too. That seems to be your best trait.

jmonroe
    @imidazol97 never twists things around! :p

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    ————————————————

jmonroe

jmonroe
    @imidazol97 never twists things around! :p
    ———————————————

I should have known something like that was coming. :#

jmonroe