Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

The prior owners of my house left us a binder of info about appliances, maintenance logs, all their maintenance contact info, some home basics (TP, Paper Towels, etc), and 3 furnace air filters to get us through to our next maintenance window.

Some owners leave that information and it has always been appreciated when they left it for us. A binder for all the appliance instructions and warranties and a note about any odd things....when to change furnace filters, garbage day, extra keys etc.........it's a nice touch.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@28firefighter said:
    The prior owners of my house left us a binder of info about appliances, maintenance logs, all their maintenance contact info, some home basics (TP, Paper Towels, etc), and 3 furnace air filters to get us through to our next maintenance window.

————————————————-
    I forgot to mention a couple things:

(1) since all of the kitchen appliances were new, we left the manuals for them and if the buyers had a problem with any of them to just call my Son until the warranty expired, after that they were on their own. The last buyer questioned the warranty noting that warranties are usually only applicable to the original owner which would be him. He said just call me if you have any problems and I’ll say you are renting the house. They REALLY liked that.

(2) we left a clean furnace filter but no spares. When we started the flip job we bought a half dozen filters because we didn’t want to clog up the new air conditioning A coil with construction dust. We only had one new one left when we finished so we installed it but my Son pointed out that it was new and showed that to them.

(3) we installed a new AC system (the furnace was only 3 years old when we bought the house so that stayed). Just like with the kitchen appliances he told the buyers to call if they had a problem within the warranty period which I think will be at the end of this coming July.

(4) my Son spent at least a half hour pointing out not so obvious things about some of the things in the house and how they worked.

The realtor was pretty amazed that my Son spent time with the buyers and said a lot of flippers don’t even want to show up for the final walk through and if anything is found not to the liking of the buyers to just call them. She said a couple times final walk through problems led to delayed closings. Also because of how hot the market is now, flippers know they can get away with shoddy workmanship and are willing to call the buyers bluff about what they want to correct and when they’re willing to come back and do it.

So far we haven’t gotten too big for our britches. And as a result we have a good reputation.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    I will leave TP on the spools but take any extra. Not touching the lightbulbs. We actually don't have that many lights that aren't lamps. Recessed cans in the kitchen and basement, ceiling fixtures in the hallways, and handing lights in DR and breakfast nook. not of the bedrooms or the family will have any light if they don't bring lamps! we do have ceiling fans but none of them have lights added.

I will put all the paperwork I have on appliances, etc. in a folder. and do a nice cover sheet, and write up some instructions for stuff like the HVAC. the big issue though is with the pool. depending on logistics (timing) I can walk them through it. otherwise some basic notes, and tell them to wing it!

the agent liked that we are selling with it open and looking great, but it would actually be much easier for me to have it closed. But, it is what it is.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

and with that, time to get in the basement and start organizing the crap down there!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Prior owners of my house were an elderly couple who also kept everything - all manuals, booklets for things like smoke detectors, sprinkler system info, and even receipts for these items, some of them 20 years old now. When the lady of the house passed, the husband lived here for a few years, then downsized as the gardens were no doubt a handful for someone in their 80s, the house went to a trust, was sold to a speculator who split the original large lot (now I don't have a massive oversized double lot to deal with - my lot is still above average size, and it allowed a new house to be built, in an area with a housing shortage, not a bad flipper venture, didn't exist just to suck up low priced housing stock) - the house sat idle for some time when the speculator owned it, fortunately he touched nothing, and all of the paperwork remained. I replaced appliances, but at least know the age and service history of the HVAC and other systems.

I am similar when it comes to such items, and especially car maintenance - I am pretty sure I have every service and repair record for the fintail since I've owned it, and prior owners were good about that, as I have a ream of paperwork from the past ~60 years.

IIRC there was also some TP and towels along with a broom in the house.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

I remember when one friend bought a house from the former owners.
    The previous owner took every roll of toilet paper and every light bulb in the house with him.
    Are you going to do that stick?

Would YOU want to use toilet paper left by a stranger? No telling what mischief it got into. >:)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

I just got in from IOP- a great week in a very nice condo. I brought my older Roku stick and plugged it into the TV which meant we could use all of our streaming services. The 2er was a joy as usual; it's just big enough to hold our luggage for a 1-2 week excursion. Best mpg was 32.5 driving down and 29.0 driving around IOP and Charleston. The last vestiges of AT&T's 3G service have apparently shut down as I lost traffic information last night(I lost the ability to communicate with the car through the My BMW app a couple of months ago).
    It was good to hang out with my son; in addition to seeing Top Gun: Maverick we caught the first two episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Point Break(1991), and tried to count the number of people John Wick whacks in his first movie(the correct number is 77).
    On the way home we passed a Kia Soul on the shoulder of the interstate. The entire front end ahead of the A-pillar was completely engulfed in flames. The despondent owner and a city policeman were watching it cook, apparently waiting for the fire department.
    Pretty spectacular...

Well it could have been worse, it could have been these two.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    I did the binder thing with our first house. Mostly instructions I wrote. How to care for the pool, how to adjust the whole house humidifier in spring and fall, etc. Lawyers and realtors were pretty insistent that nothing else be left behind, so it never occurred to me I should do some shopping for them. Oh well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I still have a dream that somebody will want this place bad enough to do a rent back so I can stay for 3-4 weeks after closing. Not expecting it, but would certainly make it easier on us! If they did I would be perfectly happy to do a personal tutorial on the pool, etc. If not, they are on their own to figure it out once the check clears (which is as soon as closing is done). I can just leave the pool turned off and see what happens.

We had an interesting car returned to us today. No plates on it because the renter reported someone stole them. Now why would anyone want license plates that trace back to a rental car? I can imagine any number of nefarious scenarios.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388

@oldfarmer50 said:
    We had an interesting car returned to us today. No plates on it because the renter reported someone stole them. Now why would anyone want license plates that trace back to a rental car? I can imagine any number of nefarious scenarios.

Happens a lot.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2022
    Those of us who remember Richard Monroe, sterlingdog, have lost another of our group.
    I can't recall his earlier username; it might have included monroe in it.

I occasionally checked in with him by email but it had been quite a while since I
    had contact or that he had forwarded anything to me.
    I'm sad to say I found his obituary today.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/robesonian/name/richard-monroe-obituary?id=33845578

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    Thanks for posting that. He was a good guy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

Yes, thanks for posting that one. I can't remember his original name....was it just Richard? That is an impressive obituary....all mine is going to say is he loved to play tennis and pickleball. My tombstone will say "Almost", as in he "almost" made that point, he "almost" got the ball back, he "almost" made a good play.

Richard was one of the first people I ran into when I started here (2005), and JMonroe....the original was another one.

sad to here. He was a good guy. Not sure he ever recovered from that accident.

@imidazol97, thanks for the post about our poster buddy Richard. It’s not what we wanted to hear but thanks for letting us know.

I remember one of his posts where he wanted to know if my last name was really Monroe. I told him it was just my stage name in here. Man was he ever glad to hear that. I mean like he was very relieved that his family genes were not contaminated.

RIP Richard you’ll be missed by your old poster buddies in here. I know that for sure.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Michaell said:

Yes he was, I liked him a lot.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I mediated one of our murder cases a few weeks ago. Today I learned of another body found in my county. So I'm back up to 14...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2022

Those of us who remember Richard Monroe, sterlingdog, have lost another of our group.
    I can't recall his earlier username; it might have included monroe in it.

I occasionally checked in with him by email but it had been quite a while since I
    had contact or that he had forwarded anything to me.
    I'm sad to say I found his obituary today.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/robesonian/name/richard-monroe-obituary?id=33845578

I remember him from some time ago. Condolences to his family.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Sad to hear about RICHARD. So sorry to hear of his passing!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

Very sad to hear about Richard. He was great to talk to here in the groups back in the old days of the Sales Story thread. I remember he once had a late 80s Town Car he always spoke fondly of.

When we left our home, it was clean with all manuals I had left behind. I can’t even remember if we left TP or not. Light bulbs, well yeah more work to take them all out than just leaving them.

PO of our home left a binder with all the spec sheets and manuals. They also left lots of spare tile, flooring and furnace filters. Entire house has LED ceiling fixtures, so couldn’t take those.

When we bought the shore house they left everything…. Cleaners, TP, laundry soap, towels, linens, dishes, beach chairs, games, and even a few bottles of wine. This is quite common in shore towns.

@stickguy
    If I was buying a home with a built in pool in the summer I’d want to see it open and operating. Winter time… well you take your chances.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I believe his original username was rmonroe. I believe I recall a similarity to
    another monroe username.

In one of the problematic changeovers to the forums, we had to sign back in with
    our usernames. Richard could not recall or find what his password had been. I recall
    helping him signing in with his old name or new name talking with him via email.

Richard told the story of his wife getting their Chrysler Sebring convertible stuck
    in mud while visiting a one-room school house with some other ladies. I recall
    they had to have the car professionally cleaned.

I recall when he was shopping and trying full-size pickups to see if they would
    fit into his older style/size garage on the side of their property.

He always came out of problems with the bright side of life showing.
    He was involved in many things helping his community.

RIP.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

His original name was richard64 IIRC.

@28firefighter said:

That’s what I remember too.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited May 2022
    RIP Richard. We tried to get together a few years ago but couldn't work it out. Our plans included several phone calls, and when my wife heard his melodious southern drawl, she immediately fell in love with him. His voice was really quite stunning, and you could tell exactly what type of person he was, and that he was a real, honest to GOD southern gentleman. Good bye my friend.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

@tjc78 said:

@28firefighter said:

That’s what I remember too.

————————————————
    I’m also pretty sure his original name was richard64. It definitely wasn’t rmonroe. And when he had login problems I’m almost positive he went with the name “sterlingdog” because his dog’s name was Sterling.

I remember some real doozy back and forth fun posts we had digging at each other. It got to the point he finally gave up trying to correct my English. I think I really scared him with my writing style. B)

Really a great guy and was missed by all when he bowed out of here years ago.Yep, he is missed.

jmonroe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Sorry to hear about Richard. He stopped posting here a while ago but he made this a better forum.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I hadn't seen this before, but fun little Top Gun themed segment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LenR1mF5uI8

@roadburner said:
    I mediated one of our murder cases a few weeks ago. Today I learned of another body found in my county. So I'm back up to 14...

Make that 15; the person found with the dead body succumbed to their injuries.

15 current murder cases in your county? Did you move to Santa Carla and not tell us?
    (movie reference ... anyone?)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

15 current murder cases in your county? Did you move to Santa Carla and not tell us?

San Andreas. Or Liberty City.
    edited May 2022
    Some here will be interested in this test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMK2_ZNysSI
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

Those of us who remember Richard Monroe, sterlingdog, have lost another of our group. . . . I'm sad to say I found his obituary today.

Thanks for posting this. I've missed his participation on here ever since he quit posting. He's been missed, for sure.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    qbrozen said:

That’s nothing. My area is composed of three closely adjacent cities. We get about one murder a week between them. The news counts the deaths separately so as not to panic the public. Sometimes they let the gunman out without bail so he can get another crack at it.

It gets better. A few counties will also be suspending their portion of sales tax on gas over $2.00. I estimate a total drop of about 25 cents so now I’ll only pay $5 even.

@oldfarmer50,
    You are referring to PUG prices?
    In about a week and a half we are taking another trailer load of stuff to OH.
    I was thinking about going 17 to 86 in order to give PA gas prices the one finger salute. :D
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    TEXAS' Worst speed traps: Houston
    Dishonorable Mentions: Arlington, Austin, Estelline

Uvalde didn't make the top 4 mentions for worst speed trap towns in Texas. Was trying to find some excuses the Police Chief could use for why it took them so long to go after the shooter in a meaningful way.

Horrible. This one hit sorta close to home, not geographically, but what a nightmare.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@explorerx4 said:
    @oldfarmer50,
    I was thinking about going 17 to 86 in order to give PA gas prices the one finger salute. :D

———————————————-
    If you decide to do that use your other hand and wave to them for me. :#

jmonroe

@oldfarmer50,

Yeah, PUG. RUG is about $4.89 at most places but you can find it cheaper if you look. I don’t know what the prices are in the southern tier.

edited May 2022
    A little disappointed nobody grabbed on to the movie reference yet.

Gas hits $8 per gallon at one LA station
    Mon, May 30, 2022, 8:16 PM
    Gas prices continue to go up throughout the holiday weekend, including one station in LA charging more than $8 a gallon for regular.

driver100 said:

Gas hits $8 per gallon at one LA station
    Mon, May 30, 2022, 8:16 PM
    Gas prices continue to go up throughout the holiday weekend, including one station in LA charging more than $8 a gallon for regular.

I saw one local station hit $4.99 for regular unleaded on Memorial Day.

16 cents a gallon? Well, now we can buy new furniture!

qbrozen said:

It's crazy; kind of like a perfect storm. I'll hopefully be able to mediate or plead out 2-3 but the rest will almost certainly be tried.

Some here will be interested in this test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMK2_ZNysSI

I'll stick with my V1.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    We were in Maryland over the long weekend visiting with our two grandsons and their parents. I went to the local grocery store. When I got out of the car I saw I had parked next to a Mercedes AMG C43 which was parked next to a Porsche SUV (I don't know which one if there is more than 1. They all look the same to me).

When I turned around I saw another Porsche SUV which was parked next to a Carrera S.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

Those of us who remember Richard Monroe, sterlingdog, have lost another of our group. . . . I'm sad to say I found his obituary today.

Thanks for posting this. I've missed his participation on here ever since he quit posting. He's been missed, for sure.

Yeah. I missed him when he started doing other things.

I remember he got a few speeding tickets. He said he hired an attorney from the jurisdiction where he got stopped to fight it and was always able to get the charge reduced.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

@qbrozen said:
    A little disappointed nobody grabbed on to the movie reference yet.

I had to look it up. Hadn’t seen it in years. Surprised @fintail didn’t grab it.

@venture said:
    We were in Maryland over the long weekend visiting with our two grandsons and their parents. I went to the local grocery store. When I got out of the car I saw I had parked next to a Mercedes AMG C43 which was parked next to a Porsche SUV (I don't know which one if there is more than 1. They all look the same to me).

When I turned around I saw another Porsche SUV which was parked next to a Carrera S.

When I’m at the shore the cars I see daily are ridiculous. On a quick trip to Home Depot (off the island) I saw two Bentleys, a Bugatti, several Cayennes, and a G wagon.

On my street someone has a beautiful X5 M50i and a McClaren.