Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    stickguy said:

too big. But I seriously thought about a transit connect as being the perfect 2nd car.

Or a Sprinter high-roof! Though I can't imagine anyone doing that... B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489

I took a high roof LWB transit into the old part of Boston’s north end. That was interesting on the side streets (more like alleys)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    henryn said:

I am not a mechanical engineer, or automotive engineer, or any kind of engineer at all. But it always seemed to me that a rotary engine should be much more efficient than a reciprocating piston engine. I am aware that didn't work out so well in actual practice, but it still seems to me that it should have.

I think it actually did work, i.e. the engine was more efficient in terms of hp output per displacement. The problem was with maintenance needs that were much higher than other engines, including early major overhauls, which was not well understood, communicated, or accounted for by the owners and the manufacturer alike. At the end it's not the specs (performance or others) that win, but total ownership experience, one of which is resilience to mild neglect. Rotary engine was the extreme example of something that works well, but only when the owner constantly puts time and money in it, which typical owners simply are unable and unwilling to do.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869

venture said:

I remember, about a year ago, whining about how every time I buy a new gas can it has some new-fangled dispenser/nozzle on it. I got one this evening and look at this contraption. I'm just going to use it for used oil storage, but man!

That looks similar to one I recently bought. I was suspicious of the design but once I used it I was hooked. That no spill design is great.
    It's nice to know they finally made one that works. Most of the former iterations somehow either didn't work very well or leaked; exactly what they were not supposed to do.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964

What a relaxing drive to work today. All lanes of I-77 blocked. I travel up S Blvd as I hate I-77. Though it doesn't show S Blvd was backed up as a result.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536

venture said:

I remember, about a year ago, whining about how every time I buy a new gas can it has some new-fangled dispenser/nozzle on it. I got one this evening and look at this contraption. I'm just going to use it for used oil storage, but man!

That looks similar to one I recently bought. I was suspicious of the design but once I used it I was hooked. That no spill design is great.
    ————————————————
    I should have known. @venture needs training. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    edited September 2022
    I was looked at some “special offers” from my credit union for cars around my area. This is just a come on hoping you will finance through them so I wasn’t expecting much.

This one came to my attention.
    https://sefcu.groovecar.com/inventory/2017-ford-fusion-se-6153541.html

First, their “special price” was only a $300 discount but what got me was the price.

I just happen to know that these cars were going for about $20k as left over 2020 models so a 2017 with 57k miles going for nearly the same price shows that used cars are still at a premium.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I just happen to know that these cars were going for about $20k as left over 2020 models so a 2017 with 57k miles going for nearly the same price shows that used cars are still at a premium.

Or that some sellers are hoping that is the case.

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Heck. It's worse than that.

I took off the well-working contraption and threw it away. I put a funnel in the gas can and started pouring used oil into the gas can.

I looked down and saw I was also pouring the oil all over my foot. :'( Some days things just go wrong.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

Speaking of hauling stuff..

Had to make a couple of trips to home depot the past week. Boy am I glad to have the Sprinter! One trip involved 6 gallons of paint and a ceiling fan. Whew! Putting that beast to good use.

I take it this was a "tongue in cheek" comment?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

too big. But I seriously thought about a transit connect as being the perfect 2nd car.

Or a Sprinter high-roof! Though I can't imagine anyone doing that... B)
    ————————————————-
    Yep, you’d have to be a dope to even think of doing that. :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I took off the well-working contraption and threw it away. I put a funnel in the gas can and started pouring used oil into the gas can.

I looked down and saw I was also pouring the oil all over my foot. :'( Some days things just go wrong.
    ———————————————-
    Damn, you not only need help but you need looked after. :'(

jmonroe
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2022
    henryn said:

qbrozen said:

Speaking of hauling stuff..

Had to make a couple of trips to home depot the past week. Boy am I glad to have the Sprinter! One trip involved 6 gallons of paint and a ceiling fan. Whew! Putting that beast to good use.

I take it this was a "tongue in cheek" comment?
    Why, whatever do you mean?
    Soccer moms need Escalades to transport 2 kids and never have 6 cans of paint, so that means I must need something larger than a 'sclade, right??

:wink:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited September 2022
    I saw an article about Honda's recall--of part of the bonuses it paid to employees.

https://fortune.com/2022/09/19/honda-to-employees-miscounted-bonus-please-give-some-back/

One poster had this in the comments section:
    "Well, since it's a company issue, the employees have no CIVIC duty to pay it back on their own ACCORD. Some of them ran off into the wilderness towards the RIDGELINE. While others updated their PASSPORTS in order to leave the country. Considering how things are today, it FITS."

I think we can add a few more:
    Some folks are trying to ESCAPE the recall, while others are looking for some INSIGHT into what will certainly be a LEGEND in the history books.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I saw an article about Honda's recall--of part of the bonuses it paid to employees.

https://fortune.com/2022/09/19/honda-to-employees-miscounted-bonus-please-give-some-back/

"Well, since it's a company issue, the employees have no CIVIC duty to pay it back on their own ACCORD. Some of them ran off into the wilderness towards the RIDGELINE. While others updated their PASSPORTS in order to leave the country. Considering how things are today, it FITS."

Some folks are trying to ESCAPE the recall, while others are looking for some INSIGHT into what will certainly be a LEGEND in the history books.

————————————————
    I guess it goes without saying that some folks have more spare time than they know what to do with.

jmonroe
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited September 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————
    I guess it goes without saying that some folks have more spare time than they know what to do with.

jmonroe
    Yup, Wordle and Spelling Bee just aren't enough.

BTW the spelling bee cut me off after I got to 8 or 9 words.

https://www.nytimes.com/puzzles/spelling-bee

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265

@stickguy said:
    used the baby truck like a truck again today. had to deliver a china hutch (and their dog!) to my son today. so had the pieces arranged in the bed, and since it was too tall to fit under the cover, had to break out the rope and bungee collection and strap stuff down. I felt like such a trucker. and happy that nothing flew out on the highway!

might have jammed it all into the RDX (I think there would have been roof clearance) but that would have required folding down the seats leaving no room for the dog. plus a lot more of a pain to load.

You are certainly right about the baby truck. I saw a black Maverick Lariat at a golf course. Looked pretty good. I didn’t realize how small it was until a F-150 pulled up next to it.

That’s double dumb. Why tick off their employees by telling them anything? Just give them a smaller bonus next year.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————

jmonroe

Another reason to take it to "The Guy".

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,294
    Here's part of the driveway work that got poured today.
    Actually, it will make more sense with a pic from the road.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    you moved in without a driveway? Seem odd to me!

@stickguy,
    The dark portion is part of what was added today. I also had them add a parking pad next to the side of the outer garage.
    driver100 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I am The Guy.

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I am The Guy.
    Sure…but are you The Law?

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I am The Guy.

Probably.

As you know I'm sure, when there's only one guy you are just about everything - you find a way.

edited September 2022
    venture said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I am The Guy.

Probably.

As you know I'm sure, when there's only one guy you are just about everything - you find a way.
    If you don't mind oil all over your shoes!

Money saved doing your own oil change $20

Cost for new shoes $80.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    qbrozen said:

@snakeweasel said:

@qbrozen said:

That's how the Volt worked (but with ecotec engine)

But neither is really a hybrid, per say, since the ICE doesn't power the wheels directly.

But it is a hybrid, it's actually a series hybrid as you have one fuel generating electricity to power the car. Hybrids where both gas and electricity directly move the vehicle are called parallel hybrids.

Not saying some don’t see it that way, but my personal take is to disagree. It is an EV with a backup generator. To call it a hybrid is no different, IMHO, than calling a Tesla a hybrid because a coal-fired plant provides the electricity.

Yep.

I drove my brother's Volt (leased and now gone).

Fun car to drive and the great instant acceleration.

It's a shame that GM killed them along with any plan to use a similar setup in future vehicles.

A shame. The only problem with the Voly is that they stacked the cargo area with batteries so it wasn't a terribly practical car. ONe would think that as battery technology progresses they could make one with the cargo area of a Bolt, which is pretty good.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I was just thinking, and I am not an expert, but wouldn't a hybrid have a much greater chance of breaking down? There's an engine, and a source for electricity, and they have to work together to produce the proper amount of power. 2 separate sources of power, and each one has a chance of breaking, plus the working together part.

better pic of our driveway mods.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    driver100 said:

I was just thinking, and I am not an expert, but wouldn't a hybrid have a much greater chance of breaking down? There's an engine, and a source for electricity, and they have to work together to produce the proper amount of power. 2 separate sources of power, and each one has a chance of breaking, plus the working together part.

Gee, I hope not.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

better pic of our driveway mods.

From that angle I can understand better why you did that. It seems odd that the garage opening didn't have the full width of the driveway and the curb cut in line with it.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

@explorerx4
    Much better. I can see why you did it. Love your place.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

Modern cars are half computer anyways so there’s not much difference between a full gas and hybrid drive system.

Some parts like he transmission are actually simpler.

driver100 said:

venture said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I am The Guy.

Probably.

If you don't mind oil all over your shoes!

Money saved doing your own oil change $20

Cost for new shoes $80.
    To have someone change oil in both tractors they would have to be picked up on trailers and taken away. It would take too long and cost about $75 each for transportation.

Besides I can change it myself. I don't have to worry about getting my tennis shorts dirty. It's not about the money. Nobody mentioned money until now.

I haven't stored used oil before. This is new. Now I know.

Anything else?

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265
    edited September 2022

This is for when you can’t decide if you need a muffler or you need bumper protection more.

@jmonroe1
    Isn’t it a shame your new Genny isn’t this pretty color. 😝😝

stopped for gas today at Citgo (top tier). dropped to $3.35 for RUG. Getting down there! The 2's are in sight.

mjfloyd1 said:

This is for when you can’t decide if you need a muffler or you need bumper protection more.

————————————————-
    Good way to go snorkeling and not get wet.

jmonroe
    tjc78 said:

@jmonroe1

———————————————
    That looks a lot like my ‘09 Genny.

jmonroe
    tjc78 said:

@jmonroe1

On my screen that looks like black paint. So not a color at all actually.

It’s burgundy. Pretty much the same model J had and same color I had

tjc78 said:

It’s burgundy. Pretty much the same model J had and same color I had

————————————————-
    Officially called Cabernet Red Pearl by Hyundai.

jmonroe
    Got a call this AM from the body shop to tell me that theyhave completed the repair part of the job on the ATS but that due to high humidity (it rained here all day yesterday and is quite humid today) they are going to wait until tomorrow to do the paint work, assuming it dries up some. Then a cleanup and detail before it comes back. They weather enthusiasts are beating the hurricane drum loudly here for Friday night into Saturday so who knows though.

ab348 said:

Got a call this AM from the body shop to tell me that theyhave completed the repair part of the job on the ATS but that due to high humidity (it rained here all day yesterday and is quite humid today) they are going to wait until tomorrow to do the paint work, assuming it dries up some. Then a cleanup and detail before it comes back. They weather enthusiasts are beating the hurricane drum loudly here for Friday night into Saturday so who knows though.

Were they able to repair the quarter panel or did they have to replace it?

Went to the Title office today to see about getting the lienholder transferred to an Ohio title.
    When I was giving the lady my Explorer vehicle information, she wrote down an F before I even started to say what brand, then stopped, and I said Yes, Ford. We got a little chuckle out of that.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    Volvo is in the shop, too. I think I mentioned wife ran over something.

Weird little thing... there is a ding on the trunklid. They are denying that, saying no way that could have happened in this incident. Something you run over can't come up and hit the back of the car. I argued a bit and just don't have the patience or energy to fight. The insurance adjuster told me his supervisor denied it. After getting off the phone and thinking a bit, I wrote to him and said, in short, "Look, if you don't cover it, that's fine. My wife hit something and we have to pay. However, I take exception to being told running over something can't hit you in the back. Ask your supervisor to walk over a rake handle and step on the prongs with his heel and tell me he didn't get hit in the butt."

No response. Go figure.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

There are 2 builders in our sub.
    The other builder didn't have a lot available that would fit this style house, my first choice.

ab348 said:

What bad luck, you just get your car fixed and a tree gets tossed on it.🥲

qbrozen said:

Volvo is in the shop, too. I think I mentioned wife ran over something.

Weird little thing... there is a ding on the trunklid. They are denying that, saying no way that could have happened in this incident. Something you run over can't come up and hit the back of the car. I argued a bit and just don't have the patience or energy to fight. The insurance adjuster told me his supervisor denied it. After getting off the phone and thinking a bit, I wrote to him and said, in short, "Look, if you don't cover it, that's fine. My wife hit something and we have to pay. However, I take exception to being told running over something can't hit you in the back. Ask your supervisor to walk over a rake handle and step on the prongs with his heel and tell me he didn't get hit in the butt."

No response. Go figure.

You are having way too much fun. Just STOP!