Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    kyfdx said:

USPS Priority Mail?
    Here is the tracking on a letter I sent to a location that is a 2-hour drive from my house. (Richmond, KY)
    On Monday
    Read from the bottom, up.

Moving Through Network

Departed USPS Regional Facility
    CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 30, 2022, 5:12 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    September 30, 2022, 5:09 am

CINCINNATI OH NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 30, 2022, 3:19 am

September 29, 2022, 11:14 pm

In Transit to Next Facility
    September 29, 2022

LEXINGTON KY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 27, 2022, 4:16 pm

September 27, 2022, 2:37 pm

September 27, 2022,1:45 pm

September 27, 2022, 10:38 am

September 26, 2022, 11:28 pm

USPS in possession of item
    September 26, 2022, 1:21 pm

We used to routinely (several times a month) FedEx packages from our location in the western burbs of Chicago to Springfield, IL a three hour drive away. On the next day delivery these packages would go down to Memphis, TN then to Indianapolis, IN then to Springfield, IL all overnight.

Now the interesting thing in your itinerary is that your package took over three hours to travel between two facilities in Cincinnati but less than 2 hours to get from Cincinnati to Lexington, KY. Then two days to get back to Cincinnati, must have had one heck of a headwind. But it now takes 3 hours instead of 2 to go between the two places in Cincinnati. Oh how great is government efficiency.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

So, I think we’ve all seen the writing on the wall about dealerships here lately. They are doing everything within their power to drive themselves out of business. Apparently, we’re not alone.

A used car dealer’s experience….

https://youtu.be/2qzA-gamvrs

It’s obvious that the dealer was saving the car for a friend or for a fool that would pay an absurd ADM. That’s understandable with a halo car like that Corvette.

However, it was really rotten of the dealer to not tell the guy that he had no chance of getting it. There was mention of the salesman who took his original order having “retired”. Perhaps that was a euphemism for “got fired” and whatever orders were in process got tossed out accidentally or intentionally.

Regardless, it’s a good lesson of how car dealers are not your friend. Expect nothing more than a straight business relationship.
    This is what will bury the dealerships. They can't see the forrest for the trees. I had the same experience when I was trying to buy a Bronco. I have no issue naming of the dealership....Cronin Ford! They had a Bronco. They knew I wanted their Bronco. They advertised the Bronco on their WEB site at MSRP. I agreed over the phone to the MSRP price. Test drove it. Wanted it. They informed me there was also a $3,000 ADM once I told them I wanted it, after already agreeing to the MSRP price.

Guess who won't do business with them again? Guess who will spread poor word of mouth about them until the end of time? And, I can't have been the only person they've done that to.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

tjc78 said:

@henryn

That may still be under warranty? I think it is 5 years on outer panels.

Thanks for bringing that up, I wasn't aware of it, and that does appear to be the correct number, 5 years on outer panels. Now I have to decide if I want to try and deal with this or just leave it alone.

If I ignore it, how bad is it likely to get? And how quickly will it get worse?
    ————————————————-
    If you’re entitled to a warranty repair why wouldn’t you get it repaired? You know it’s not going to heal itself.

jmonroe

henryn said:

tjc78 said:

@henryn

Thanks for bringing that up, I wasn't aware of it, and that does appear to be the correct number, 5 years on outer panels. Now I have to decide if I want to try and deal with this or just leave it alone.

Did you determine if the hood was aluminum or not? Ford weasels out of corrosion repairs by specifying they will only repair “rust through”. Since aluminum will corrode but not rust through they tell you you’re out of luck. I’m sure Chrysler has a similar out.
    Once again, information I did not have. I did a google search, and it seems that Chrysler makes the hood out of aluminum on the Pacifica.

Using a blend of advanced materials, Fiat Chrysler engineers have created a stiff minivan body that’s 168 lbs lighter than predecessors.

The new Chrysler Pacifica uses ultra-high-strength steel in its body and load beams, aluminum in its hood and sliding doors, and magnesium in its liftgate, helping cut weight and enhance its claim of best-in-class fuel efficiency.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    kyfdx said:

So, mailed on Monday. Typical transit time for a 1st class letter would be 2 days. 4 days later, it's back in Cincinnati, and who knows when it will get there?

Back in the old days of the 80's when I was looking for jobs in the Sunday paper and sending resumes by the USPS I would spend Sunday afternoon looking through the want ads and getting the cover letter and resumes ready to send out. I would go over to the post office facility over at Ohare airport that was open on Sundays well into the night and IIRC had hourly pickups at the mail boxes there and drop them off. Turns out that the majority of those resumes were getting to the recipients the next day. The airport post office was a main hub and they sorted and distributed the main overnight and it would be at the local post offices the following morning ready to be delivered. If I would have dropped it off at my local post office it would have taken 2 to three days.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    All the rust warranties require "rust through". Bubbling paint or surface rust will get you nothing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    kyfdx said:

Now, my package is:
    LOUISVILLE KY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 30, 2022, 7:56 am

Which is only 10 miles closer to Richmond, KY than Cincinnati. :/

Yes, but your package got the scenic tour.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

Fortunately we are not there yet

So, I think we’ve all seen the writing on the wall about dealerships here lately. They are doing everything within their power to drive themselves out of business. Apparently, we’re not alone.

That is too bad, maybe they didn't want deposits so they could sell it for whatever they could get for it. They knew the most they would get was one....why take a deposit if you can get a lot more for it? He should have gone to a dealer that would take a deposit, but why would a dealer take one? GM should have done what Ford did, and not give warranties if you buy it for more than the set price.

Maybe he was like the 7th person to want to put down a deposit and get the car. If that was the case they though why take the deposit as it's very likely that one of the people ahead of him would take the car?
    But it would be better to tell the guy up front, there are 7 ahead of you, you would be wasting your time leaving a deposit......if you were an honest dealership.

edited September 2022
    I was watching the news, all those flooded cars in the Ft Myers area and even in Orlando....who thought that area would get hit with water that high?

I am thinking there are going to be;
    1) a lot of people wanting to buy a new or used car to replace the one drowned, and
    2) there could be a lot of flooded cars on the market....be careful if you are considering buying a used car.
    ....and, what happens to all the new cars that were sitting outside, in 3 or 4 feet of water?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

It’s obvious that the dealer was saving the car for a friend or for a fool that would pay an absurd ADM. That’s understandable with a halo car like that Corvette.

However, it was really rotten of the dealer to not tell the guy that he had no chance of getting it. There was mention of the salesman who took his original order having “retired”. Perhaps that was a euphemism for “got fired” and whatever orders were in process got tossed out accidentally or intentionally.

Regardless, it’s a good lesson of how car dealers are not your friend. Expect nothing more than a straight business relationship.
    This is what will bury the dealerships. They can't see the forrest for the trees. I had the same experience when I was trying to buy a Bronco. I have no issue naming of the dealership....Cronin Ford! They had a Bronco. They knew I wanted their Bronco. They advertised the Bronco on their WEB site at MSRP. I agreed over the phone to the MSRP price. Test drove it. Wanted it. They informed me there was also a $3,000 ADM once I told them I wanted it, after already agreeing to the MSRP price.

Guess who won't do business with them again? Guess who will spread poor word of mouth about them until the end of time? And, I can't have been the only person they've done that to.
    Doing that to a customer is just plain stupid. Talk about bait and switch.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

tjc78 said:

@henryn

————————————————-
    If you’re entitled to a warranty repair why wouldn’t you get it repaired? You know it’s not going to heal itself.

jmonroe

henryn said:

tjc78 said:

@henryn

Did you determine if the hood was aluminum or not? Ford weasels out of corrosion repairs by specifying they will only repair “rust through”. Since aluminum will corrode but not rust through they tell you you’re out of luck. I’m sure Chrysler has a similar out.
    Once again, information I did not have. I did a google search, and it seems that Chrysler makes the hood out of aluminum on the Pacifica.

Using a blend of advanced materials, Fiat Chrysler engineers have created a stiff minivan body that’s 168 lbs lighter than predecessors.

The new Chrysler Pacifica uses ultra-high-strength steel in its body and load beams, aluminum in its hood and sliding doors, and magnesium in its liftgate, helping cut weight and enhance its claim of best-in-class fuel efficiency.
    It may be a similar situation to Ford’s aluminum hoods. The Ford body shop guy told me that it’s caused by improper prep and sealing of the hood edge at the factory. This allows moisture to penetrate to the metal. Once the aluminum forms an oxide the paint can’t stick and starts to bubble.

It can be repaired but the body shop needs to know exactly how to prepare and seal the metal. It took my Ford dealer two tries before they got it right.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    CarFax is a for profit company. why should any place (Hertz or a repair shop) feel obligated to give them customer information that they will then resell to customers?

Different story for a state DMV to report title status.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    And @di
    stickguy said:

CarFax is a for profit company. why should any place (Hertz or a repair shop) feel obligated to give them customer information that they will then resell to customers?

Different story for a state DMV to report title status.

We bought a Honda Certified Pilot with a spotless CarFax report. The dealer provided a summary of services done such as brake pads, oil change, alignment, etc. What did I find in the glove box after I brought it home? An invoice of $5500 worth of damage repair from hitting a deer. Always, buyer beware and even if certified, give it a thorough inspection. Thankfully the Pilot was a great vehicle for us.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

@roadburner said:
    That irritates me more than anything else; dealers don't like to give numbers to a stranger over the phone or the web as they know the recipient will shop that number to other dealers. I get that, but why p*ss off customers by promising a price that they have no intention of providing?

Back in 02 when I decided I wanted an Accord coupe, I sent email inquiries to my local dealer, an 2 others 2 hrs up the road in Raleigh. Both Raleigh dealers quoted me, one of them was 1500 under invoice and the other was within 300 of that price. My local dealer, having previously declined me a test drive without a deal, said “come see us.” Guess where I bought my Accord.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Drove by a Ford dealership last night and they have 3 Bronco's sitting out front on the tree lawn.
    I take that to mean they are not spoken for,
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    My USPS package saga continues. After the trip to Louisville, it has made it's way through Lexington, and is out for delivery today in Richmond, five days after mailing it from 120 miles away.

On Saturday.
    Going to a law office in downtown.

Sigh...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited October 2022

@kyfdx said:
    My USPS package saga continues. After the trip to Louisville, it has made it's way through Lexington, and is out for delivery today in Richmond, five days after mailing it from 120 miles away.

On Saturday.

Sigh...

Wow. They're even delivering it on Saturday. :s

Here the small town post office employees are turning over and being replaced by
    many with an attitude like the cashiers at a chicken strips fast food place---their body
    language says they really don't want to be there, they don't like having to work,
    and they don't like you, their customer.
    Or maybe they just don't like me? LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@kyfdx said:

On Saturday.

Sigh...

Wow. They're even delivering it on Saturday. :s

Here the small town post office employees are turning over and being replaced by

many with an attitude like the cashiers at a chicken strips fast food place---their body

language says they really don't want to be there, they don't like having to work,

and they don't like you, their customer.

Or maybe they just don't like me? LOL

Attempted delivery this morning. No one home.. lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

my daughter is visiting and had to do some emergency chasing around of a package yesterday. Her BF flew out to LA for the weekend and managed to lose his ID at the airport (after TSA) so could get on the plane, but not on one to come home. so thankfully she was still at their apartment so she got his passport out and sent it overnight to his hotel (after apparently calling to confirm they would hold it).

package arrives before he checks in. and Hotel refuses to take it and hold so they rejected delivery. so since she mailed it, she needed to chase around to find it and reschedule another try at it. Hopefully it turns up quicker than KY's letter or he won't be coming home Sunday!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I had the oil/filter changed and general look over on the TL at the Honda dealer today. All good, no upselling. Very happy with that as it has almost 173k. I did notice what cost less than $50 last visit is now $65. Still much cheaper than Audi or VW. It was odd to see a Dodge Hellcat in the showroom and that was the only vehicle. No new Honda sedans and a few Passports, Pilots and Ridgelines with $4k markups on the lot. They have a 2018 Accord EX with 32K for only $28k! This is on a soon to be 5yr old car and is priced more than it was new!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I was watching the news, all th
    kyfdx said:

On Saturday.

Sigh...

They will probably charge you extra for the extra miles traveled.

Doing that to a customer is just plain stupid. Talk about bait and switch.
    Ford has warned their dealerships not to practice unseemly business practices. For the most part, the dealerships have ignored the warnings.

Now, Ford is making a plunge into the Tesla business model and cutting dealerships out of the sales part of the transaction. Just a matter of time before those dealerships are vacated and the crying about how Ford screwed over their dealer network.
    Gonna whine here some more as I feel like s#!t. Was diagnosed with COVID earlier this week. I’m vaxed and boosted, so it could be worse, much worse. But, still have spent the week feeling terrible and have spent the entire week holed up in the house. Still testing positive, so just riding this out.

My beef is not that I caught it. MAtter of fact, I’m kind of surprised I hadn’t caught it before now. My real beef is I just found out I caught it from a friend who knew he had it, knew it, but didn’t bother to quarantine or inform us. He attended an event where my friends had gathered last weekend. In addition to me, 3 others contracted it.

Needless to say, the “contagious” friend is no longer a friend.
    edited October 2022
    @grapgicguy,
    When I got Covid, felt really bad for 3 days and improved from there, I got some Paxlovid pills, although too late for those now.
    There may be another something you can take. Can't remember what it is.
    Hope you feel better soon.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited October 2022
    Had a good belly laugh this morning reading our neighborhood paper. A woman had posted a picture of a multicolored snake in her flower bed and asked if anyone knew what it was. Some guy posted back and said... SNAKE!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Gonna whine here some more as I feel like s#!t. Was diagnosed with COVID earlier this week. I’m vaxed and boosted, so it could be worse, much worse. But, still have spent the week feeling terrible and have spent the entire week holed up in the house. Still testing positive, so just riding this out.

My beef is not that I caught it. MAtter of fact, I’m kind of surprised I hadn’t caught it before now. My real beef is I just found out I caught it from a friend who knew he had it, knew it, but didn’t bother to quarantine or inform us. He attended an event where my friends had gathered last weekend. In addition to me, 3 others contracted it.

That is so wrong, that is not a friend. We made it through years and a trip to England without covid, but got it on the return flight when two morons behind us on the plane hacked away for the whole flight....and you had to sign a waiver before the flight that said you weren't ill. I was going to tell the stewardess to remove them but then they probably would have gone back to Gatwick.

Interesting concept HP is using when you buy a printer. We got an all-in-one inkjet printer.
    Of course, they know when it is running low on ink.
    So they give you 6 months of free cartridges, and then they will send you a cartridge automatically when you are low in ink, at a lower price than the store price. But, you have to pay $5 a month.
    Very clever! Most people will forget they are paying $5 a month and they won't need cartridges very often.

Smart move....cuts out the knock off sellers, and gives them a nice income stream.

@driver100,
    Don't know if they are still doing it but some HP products would shut down after either a certain period of time or number of pages. Happened to ours but I found the method to reactivate it on the internet.
    Who needs color? Get a laser printer. Refills last a long time, and they are relatively cheap.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

I caught it a few months ago; I really didn't feel that bad- just tired. I felt MUCH worse when I caught the flu in 2020 immediately before the COVID madness hit.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Better yet buy a printer that doesn’t require the brand name cartridges. My generic cartridges last 2-3 mos with moderate usage, work great, and cost $5-6 for my Canon PIXMA ,all in one.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935

@kyfdx said:
    Who needs color? Get a laser printer. Refills last a long time, and they are relatively cheap.

I have a color laser. Best of both worlds.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

my daughter is visiting and had to do some emergency chasing around of a package yesterday. Her BF flew out to LA for the weekend and managed to lose his ID at the airport (after TSA) so could get on the plane, but not on one to come home. so thankfully she was still at their apartment so she got his passport out and sent it overnight to his hotel (after apparently calling to confirm they would hold it).

package arrives before he checks in. and Hotel refuses to take it and hold so they rejected delivery. so since she mailed it, she needed to chase around to find it and reschedule another try at it. Hopefully it turns up quicker than KY's letter or he won't be coming home Sunday!

Did the hotel offer an explanation of why they refused delivery after stating they would accept it? Boy, that would get them a bad survey from me.

I would have to ask her for details. probably up to the person at the desk at the time.

Out of 60 or so drivers we have 9 out with covid this week. All of them have recently done airport duty where you are in and out of dozens of potentially contaminated cars. I often wonder why I haven’t caught anything in all the time I have had that assignment. I got no boosters after the initial shot.

Out of 60 or so drivers we have 9 out with covid this week. All of them have recently done airport duty where you are in and out of dozens of potentially contaminated cars. I often wonder why I haven’t caught anything in all the time I have had that assignment. I got no boosters after the initial shot.
    I think being in a recently occupied car is relatively low risk. Much more exposure being in a group setting. For all the "cleaning" that's been going on, picking up the virus from surfaces is shown to be pretty rare.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,142
    I had it a couple months ago, no fun. Also triple vaxxed, 99999% certain I caught it at work where I suspect many have had it but don't know. Mostly was no worse than a summer cold, and only knew because a co-worker I sit near tested positive, so I took the test, and was also positive - took a week for the positive result to vanish. Worst part was a couple yucky days, and weirdest was losing taste and smell for about a week, and of all things, having a sensitive scalp for a week or so. Also had a little fatigue for a week or so after, wanted to go for a walk/jog but didn't have it in me. Feeling like it never happened today, I must be super-immune now.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    We've had about 4 folks out of about 75 that have gotten Covid and they've pretty much stayed away from the rest of us. That's really a terrible thing to do to others and attend any function knowing you have the disease. I have to question the morals of someone who would treat so called "friends" with such blatant disregard. But do get why you plan on distancing yourself from him going forward as what he did was just totally wrong, any way you look at it!
    I've been suffering from vertigo again since the second week of September and not going back to work until this coming Tuesday as I felt it unfair to place any of the others in harms way, much less myself. The dizziness was such that it was unsafe for me to be behind the wheel and my boss agreed. Many folks today have jut become mean for some reason and do things to others that a few years ago would've been unacceptable. As a country, we need to get back to caring about the welfare of other Americans & not being mean because some think they can now. Think we're better then that really!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited October 2022
    kyfdx said:

I think being in a recently occupied car is relatively low risk. Much more exposure being in a group setting. For all the "cleaning" that's been going on, picking up the virus from surfaces is shown to be pretty rare.
    We frequently hop in the cars just as the customer vacates it and the way some people leave rentals it’s a wonder we don’t catch the plague. All the people who came down with covid had worked the airport shift.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    I received my Bivalent booster (Moderna) on Thursday and have had no ill-effects from it that I can determine. That makes a total of 4 shots for me since this all began. I still mask up when I go into stores and whatnot. I get the sense that many of the staffers appreciate that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@oldfarmer50,
    More likely they got it from a coworker than a bunch of different vehicles.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I know OF, get into so many vehicles that folks just trash...because they can! Really sucks and finding eaten chicken bones in the center console has probably been one of the worst I've encountered. Dried sticky barbecue sauce all over the center console and on the audio controls plus on the steering wheel, was a total mess! Many come back with sand in every nook & cranny more times than not. And the stickiness folks seem to find is amazing. Just art of what we must go through.
    Looks like I'll be going back to work Tuesday. Off Wednesday for the holiday, Yom Kippur, then back for Friday. Doubt I'll take any Saturdays for the time being as I don't want to push myself too much. Had seriously considered taking a leave of absence till the end of the year but have decided against that for the time being. Was surprised that even the wife didn't think it was the worst idea really but said why not see how things go first. If need be, go down to two days a week and see if that helps...take it in steps as I might get too bored just doing nothing. Did find myself watching a lot of t v once the dizziness lessened and I was able to sit up in the recliner. The first week was spent in bed basically, sleeping much of the time, trying to get the room to stop spinning. Between the p t and meds they put me on, think we're at the tail end of it all, luckily. Hard to explain to folks who've never had it but it ain't no picnic folks. Finally getting some of my appetite back as had no interest in eating the first couple of weeks, almost nothing, even some favorite foods! Just glad the worst is past us now.
    Was basically out of work for three weeks this time which isn't really that bad. At this age, have to listen to what my body is telling me as don't want things to get any worse!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

I caught it a few months ago; I really didn't feel that bad- just tired. I felt MUCH worse when I caught the flu in 2020 immediately before the COVID madness hit.

Back in Feb 2020, about a week after we got back from a trip to Tampa/St Pete, my wife had what she thought was a cold, but it was accompanied by some really weird stuff with her breathing and anxiety to boot. In hindsight, we're not completely sure that what she had wasn't COVID.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    kyfdx said:

I now have a color laser. One of my friends replaced his as it would never wake up and print. Instead he would have to pull the plug (hard reboot), and then send the print job again. The easy answer is just to push the power button and wait a few seconds before sending the print job, but he can afford to replace anything that aggravates him.

He tried to give it away to some charity (not sure which one), but they wouldn't take it and he called me and asked if I wanted it. Later on, he found a full set of replacement toner cartridges and gave me those as well, so I'm all set for printing.

I've also got an all in one inkjet model which I keep around just for the scanner (excellent scanner, mediocre printer).

@oldfarmer50,
    More likely they got it from a coworker than a bunch of different vehicles.

One guy got it from his grandkids.

I know OF, get into so many vehicles that folks just trash...because they can! Really sucks and finding eaten chicken bones in the center console has probably been one of the worst I've encountered. Dried sticky barbecue sauce all over the center console and on the audio controls plus on the steering wheel, was a total mess! Many come back with sand in every nook & cranny more times than not. And the stickiness folks seem to find is amazing. Just art of what we must go through.
    Looks like I'll be going back to work Tuesday. Off Wednesday for the holiday, Yom Kippur, then back for Friday. Doubt I'll take any Saturdays for the time being as I don't want to push myself too much. Had seriously considered taking a leave of absence till the end of the year but have decided against that for the time being. Was surprised that even the wife didn't think it was the worst idea really but said why not see how things go first. If need be, go down to two days a week and see if that helps...take it in steps as I might get too bored just doing nothing. Did find myself watching a lot of t v once the dizziness lessened and I was able to sit up in the recliner. The first week was spent in bed basically, sleeping much of the time, trying to get the room to stop spinning. Between the p t and meds they put me on, think we're at the tail end of it all, luckily. Hard to explain to folks who've never had it but it ain't no picnic folks. Finally getting some of my appetite back as had no interest in eating the first couple of weeks, almost nothing, even some favorite foods! Just glad the worst is past us now.
    Was basically out of work for three weeks this time which isn't really that bad. At this age, have to listen to what my body is telling me as don't want things to get any worse!

I have been there, inner ear infection, the whole world spinning around anytime I moved my head. Terrible feeling, some of the sickest I have ever been. The only thing I can remember being worse was a very high fever, with chills which felt like I was going to shake to death. Totally not fun, makes me remember to be glad that I have my health right now.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    ronsteve said:

Back in Feb 2020, about a week after we got back from a trip to Tampa/St Pete, my wife had what she thought was a cold, but it was accompanied by some really weird stuff with her breathing and anxiety to boot. In hindsight, we're not completely sure that what she had wasn't COVID.
    I remember being in court on on motion day in January of 2020 and starting to cough so bad another prosecutor had to take over. I drove home and had another coughing episode while driving. Later that day at home I was coughing again and my wife said I blacked out for a minute or so. With that I went to The Little Clinic at a nearby Kroger and the nurse swabbed my nose and I tested positive for the flu(and yes, I had received a flu shot in September).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

henryn said:

kyfdx said:

I now have a color laser. One of my friends replaced his as it would never wake up and print. Instead he would have to pull the plug (hard reboot), and then send the print job again. The easy answer is just to push the power button and wait a few seconds before sending the print job, but he can afford to replace anything that aggravates him.

He tried to give it away to some charity (not sure which one), but they wouldn't take it and he called me and asked if I wanted it. Later on, he found a full set of replacement toner cartridges and gave me those as well, so I'm all set for printing.

I've also got an all in one inkjet model which I keep around just for the scanner (excellent scanner, mediocre printer).
    I have a Brother laser printer. Pretty sure it was $150 or less. It's an all-in-one with scanner. B/W, though. I'll never regret ditching my inkjet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I will get a laser next time my printer dies. tired of paying for cartridges. My most recent one is an Epson. works great but I made the mistake of letting it do a firmware update and it would no longer accept the off brand refill ones (that I of course had recently bought a new one of). and it gets quite pricey to just buy OEM ones.

don't need a scanner. Best gizmo I ever bought was a little USB stick scanner. One where you just feed paper through it. sort of looks like a metal detector wand they use at stadiums. Nice and compact. Just plug it into the laptop, feed the papers through, and save them right in as PDFs. Have not touched the flatbed in years since I bought that.

kyfdx said:

henryn said:

kyfdx said:

I have a Brother laser printer. Pretty sure it was $150 or less. It's an all-in-one with scanner. B/W, though. I'll never regret ditching my inkjet.
    We have a b/w laser printer....it is fine for most things. But we need an all-in-one ink jet for scanning and for color.....MrsD100 even likes to print off photos....that must cost a fortune.
    Our old HP all-in-one isn't supported by HP any more...another way they get you.
    I thought about another brand, but we have had excellent results with all of our HPs and I would think, it all works better if everything is compatible. Mainly the same brand.