Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    Don’t want to be fixing that out of warranty.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Saw this when I took the dogs down to the lake, a big school of fish.
    Not sure if they were Walleye's. HA HA.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Speaking of Diet Dr Pepper, anyone here watch "The Kominsky Method" on Netflix? If you haven't, I definitely recommend it. In the show, Michael Douglas drink of choice is Diet Dr Pepper and Jack Daniels.

Now I will occasionally indulge in both of those, but I had never tried them together. After enough references on the show, I thought, "Why not give it a shot?"

Take my advice: Don't. It was bad, worse than you can imagine.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Another non-coffee (or tea) drinker here. Both the current and ex. were coffee addicts, if they didn't have their daily, I'd see them withdraw. That told me something...

My caffeine (ok, semi-addicted) hit comes from Diet Coke. Otherwise, water for me. Not bottled, Brita filter or filtered water from the new fangled GE fridge (that died after 5 months, leaking compressor from the factory. And, the DW continues to not fully wash dishes. Three visits so far, fourth scheuduled and am already chasing the builder to replace it).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    I paid off the Ascent in the middle of August and still don't have the title. Glad I don't need it.

Evidently my dealer used an incorrect Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) ID. Supposedly the bank contacted the dealer, and they corrected it.

Instead of the title being printed the day after receiving the electronic release, it's now in the hands of people. Now we wait.

I was at the dealer today getting filters and said I wanted my doc fee back. They thought that was real funny. :)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

I risked destroying my wife's Ascent and changed the engine air filter (2 minutes) and cabin air filter (5 minutes).

Total cost $48. It would be about $120 at the dealer.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    qbrozen said:

our new thing is this Sparkling Ice stuff. Lots of flavors and the only zero-sugar product I've ever liked (other than things that aren't supposed to have sugar, of course).

————————————————
    I like that too.

If there is an Aldi near you, try their knock-off brand. I was very hesitant to try it but It tastes the same to me and even though inflation has raised the price from 49 cents a bottle to something like 58 cents a bottle it’s still at least half the price of the Sparkling Ice brand.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    andres3 has a chance at Neon redemption.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWpWn4Gu718
    tjc78 said:

Pretty interesting

———————————————
    I don’t understand this seat massaging thing in a car. That would be distracting to me. When I drive I drive and if I want a massage, I’ll go to a parlor. o:)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    jmonroe1 said:

I don’t understand this seat massaging thing in a car. That would be distracting to me. When I drive I drive and if I want a massage, I’ll go to a parlor. o:)

jmonroe

You and Robert Kraft.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

You and Robert Kraft.
    ———————————————-
    Nah, I don’t need him.

jmonroe
    edited October 2022
    My 2017 F150 had seats with the massage feature. I tried it just to do it but everyone else who used it loved it.
    I did like the 5 adjustable back and lumbar supports.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

Pretty interesting

———————————————

jmonroe
    Is that like a legal massage thing?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

My three drink choices are quality coffee, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale or Guinness Stout.
    That is all.

Guinness Stout (or for that matter, any stout)
    Ugh!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

I risked destroying my wife's Ascent and changed the engine air filter (2 minutes) and cabin air filter (5 minutes).

Every air filter I ever replaced was under $20 at Auto Zone. What makes yours so expensive? And how does the dealer have the nerve to charge $120?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 has a chance at Neon redemption.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWpWn4Gu718

Maybe if someone could figure out how to paint match the front and rear bumpers with the rest of the car.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

venture said:

Every air filter I ever replaced was under $20 at Auto Zone. What makes yours so expensive? And how does the dealer have the nerve to charge $120?
    Believe it or not, I went to Autozone first.

The 3 engine filters they carry cost $19.99, $26.99, and $64.99. The one for $64.99 was the only one they had.

The cabin filters were $19.99, $26.99, and $44.99. It didn't matter. They didn't have any of them.

At the dealer the engine filter cost $25.46 and the cabin filter cost $22.98. They have no qualms about over charging for anything.

I'm taking it in for a recall, oil change, and State Inspection on Saturday. Her Ascent has less than 5,000 miles on it since the last inspection and is exempt according to the state. The dealer still says they have to do the emissions testing when they do an inspection. I always ask them why they would want to charge someone for work that isn't done. They never answer me. :/

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    It's time for the annual oil change on the Club Sport; this year it will be free as I used reward points off my MasterCard to buy the oil and filter. Now I just need my fireproof suit, goggles, facemask, hard hat and fire extinguisher. Even so, I feel the cold grasp of imminent disaster on my shoulder...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

https://www.statista.com/chart/25098/fatality-rate-and-speed-limit-on-european-motorways/

This chart is interesting. It's a bit different than I've seen in the past, but I think it shows extra low speed limits don't work any better than INFINITY speed limits in Germany (or barely better). The best/safest Countries don't have the lowest limits. Belgium has low limits and still kills far more than almost all Countries listed. Several 130 KPH Countries (higher than 99.999999% of US speed limits) do really well.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    speed limit does not tell you anything about the roads and traffic. The same speed on a rural interstate in Montana can be much safer than on a highway through NYC. so a country with a lot of open highways and light traffic should have fewer accidents than a congested one.

I got this email this morning. It is something to think about;

Imagine Florida with a hurricane coming toward Miami. The governor orders an evacuation. All cars head north.

They all need to be charged in Jacksonville. How does that work.? Has anyone thought about this.

If all cars were electric and were caught up in a three-hour traffic jam with dead batteries, then what.?

Not to mention that there's virtually no heating or air conditioning in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption.

If you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating, no windshield wipers, no radio, no GPS (all these drains the batteries).

How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam.?

Enquiring minds want to know!

stickguy said:

speed limit does not tell you anything about the roads and traffic. The same speed on a rural interstate in Montana can be much safer than on a highway through NYC. so a country with a lot of open highways and light traffic should have fewer accidents than a congested one.

Yes, good answer. And the amount of training drivers have. German drivers are quite skilled, if North American drivers didn't have speed limits the roads would be extremely dangerous.

Had me a brand new stent put in yesterday. Should be good for another 10 years or 10,000 posts. ;)

I hope you are feeling well.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    driver100 said:

How do you put gas into those same cars stuck on the highway? Gasoline is a finite resource, too.

I get your point, but at the moment, the percentage of the US fleet that is fully electric is miniscule.

Besides, according to the mainstream media, only the wealthy can afford EVs, so they'll use their private jets or helicopters to evacuate. :wink:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@graphicguy said:
    Had me a brand new stent put in yesterday. Should be good for another 10 years or 10,000 posts. ;)

Should have gotten the valves adjusted. While you were in there!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    @driver100 Florida just had a major evacuation. How many people actually left?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Michaell said:

driver100 said:

How do you put gas into those same cars stuck on the highway? Gasoline is a finite resource, too.

I get your point, but at the moment, the percentage of the US fleet that is fully electric is miniscule.

Besides, according to the mainstream media, only the wealthy can afford EVs, so they'll use their private jets or helicopters to evacuate. :wink:

If only the wealthy can afford EVs, does that make me middle class with a PHEV?
    Or does the rusted-out pickup and old toilet on my front lawn make me some other class?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

and @kyfdx
    I should have added, the email I got was longer, it asked if there was an evacuation order like in Florida, but if it happened in California, when there are mostly EVs.
    Gassers can pull off the highway and find gas fairly easily and quickly. If they run out of gas you can supply a few cars with a gallon fairly easily....AAA.

I think they are thinking, you won't travel too far with traffic jams, and to maximize mileage you have to go without a/c or windshield wipers etc., and if you run out of juice it won't be easy to get a charge....in fact I think they have to put the EV on a flatbed truck.

A lot of people didn't evacuate because they didn't really know where Ian would strike, and a lot of people didn't believe it would be as bad as it was. I would think a lot of the people who stayed in Ft Myers or on Sanibel Island would not have stayed if they had any idea it would hit them so hard.

If I did evacuate and if I had a choice, I would rather take my chances with a gasser. And let's not forget about things like forest fires in California......

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited October 2022
    driver100 said:

Imagine Florida with a hurricane coming toward Miami. The governor orders an evacuation. All cars head north.

They all need to be charged in Jacksonville. How does that work.? Has anyone thought about this.

If all cars were electric and were caught up in a three-hour traffic jam with dead batteries, then what.?

Not to mention that there's virtually no heating or air conditioning in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption.

If you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating, no windshield wipers, no radio, no GPS (all these drains the batteries).

Windmills and solar cells. B)

And there are more problems than just range.

https://redstate.com/bobhoge/2022/10/06/oops-electric-vehicles-are-exploding-after-water-damage-from-hurricane-ian-n638942

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

venture said:

venture said:

Believe it or not, I went to Autozone first.

The 3 engine filters they carry cost $19.99, $26.99, and $64.99. The one for $64.99 was the only one they had.

The cabin filters were $19.99, $26.99, and $44.99. It didn't matter. They didn't have any of them.

At the dealer the engine filter cost $25.46 and the cabin filter cost $22.98. They have no qualms about over charging for anything.

I'm taking it in for a recall, oil change, and State Inspection on Saturday. Her Ascent has less than 5,000 miles on it since the last inspection and is exempt according to the state. The dealer still says they have to do the emissions testing when they do an inspection. I always ask them why they would want to charge someone for work that isn't done. They never answer me. :/
    Time to find a good indie shop. I’m still in mourning for my go-to guy who closed after 50 years. Fortunately I had two other “guys” who I can use but it’s never the same.

driver100 said:

Enquiring minds want to know!

Shhhhhh, you’re not supposed to say that part out loud.👹

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

You can carry an extra can of gas with you or AAA can potentially bring one to you. You can’t call up the auto club and request a bucket of electrons.

I think driver100 is musing on what will happen in the event that everyone is forced to switch to EVs.

Will those rich people be flying off in electric airplanes or helicopters? Oh, I see, the sacrifices don’t apply to them. Hmmmmm.😤🤬😡

kyfdx said:

My BIL from St. Pertersburg evacuated to my other in-laws house near Orlando. The ones in Orlando flew up to NY.

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

If only the wealthy can afford EVs, does that make me middle class with a PHEV?
    Or does the rusted-out pickup and old toilet on my front lawn make me some other class?
    Ever since I moved the toilet off my lawn I’m in a class by myself.🤩

kyfdx said:

My BIL from St. Pertersburg evacuated to my other in-laws house near Orlando. The ones in Orlando flew up to NY.
    St Petersburg probably would have been fine...Orlando area not so much. Ironic those things can happen!

There were two great letters in today's Wheel Section of the newspaper. They are a little long, but worth the time. I'll split them in case one is enough:
    QUESTION

I made a mistake by sending my wife to a garage to get the oil changed on her twelve-year-old car. When she came back, I noticed that the bill was much less than I usually pay to have the oil changed. Looking at the bill further, I noticed that she had the garage put in regular oil instead of synthetic oil that was removed. Will that harm the engine or should I have it changed immediately with the proper synthetic oil? The car is twelve years old and not used very often.

Dan.

ANSWER

If you are not doing any heavy hauling with the car, it would have been okay to leave the oil that was in the car and then change it back to synthetic around 3000 thousand miles, if you wanted to but read on Dan.

EMAIL FROM DAN’S BETTER HALF:

My husband Dan might have emailed you about the wrong oil being put in my car. He is blaming me for this problem but it was him that removed the last oil change sticker from the windshield, which indicated the type of oil that was in the car. My car had gone approximately 8 thousand miles and he did not want his brother in-law, who owns the garage, to see that the car had gone way over the miles before an oil change was done. You do not have to do anything for us because I called the garage and they are going to put the proper oil back in the engine. I am the second owner and the garage said that there was an old oil sticker under the hood indicating regular oil being used and that is what they went by. I wish you could have seen the look on my husband’s face when the garage informed me that they went by the oil sticker that was under the hood. Priceless!

He reads your column all the time.

Second Letter from Wheels by Dennis O'Sullivan:
    QUESTION

I hope that you can help me get my car back from my ex-boyfriend. There was a problem with the transmission so he told me that he knew where I could get it fixed cheaply. I gave him the van and that was three months ago. He told me that the repair bill was two thousand four hundred dollars. I asked where he had it fixed and he told me that did not matter because it was fixed now. I also told him that he was to give me a price to have it fixed before he went ahead with the repair and he did not do that. I would not have spent two thousand dollars on a 2007 Chevrolet Uplander with close to three hundred thousand kms. I found out where he had taken the car and phoned the garage and asked for the repair bill. The garage told me that my ex-boyfriend was the customer and that I would have to take this up with him. I again called my ex and he told me that I had two weeks to come up with the money or he was going to sell the van. I do not have two thousand dollars. I have called the Ministry and they cannot do anything for me. Is there anything that you can do for me?

ANSWER

Your ex cannot sell the van without an ownership and I hope that you still have it. He also cannot put a mechanical lien on the van because he is not a garage. I did contact the garage for you and the repair bill was two hundred and thirty dollars not two thousand dollars as your ex has said. The garage at this time has not been paid for the repairs. I suggest that you pay the repair bill and then give your ex twenty-four hours to get the van back to you or you will call the police and report that he will not return your vehicle. If he refuses to return your van, you can actually claim that he has stolen your vehicle. The garage will work with you because your ex had given them a heck that bounced. The good thing that has come out of this is that you get your van repaired for far less money than your ex quoted.

PS: I hope that he stays your ex.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    And don't gas pumps have a manual override/pump feature? I know old timey ones did anyway.

Same story from a domain that won't taint your browsing history :D

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/hurricane-ian-floods-are-causing-electric-vehicles-to-burst-into-flames-200639.html

driver100 said:

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    edited October 2022

Absolutely. Lack of common sense is a big problem. What the hell kind of firefighters are thinking "hey, water caused this problem because it is electric ... what do I do? ... OH! I know! MORE WATER!" I'll have to show my firefighter nephew this one. He'll get a kick out of it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Yes, good answer. And the amount of training drivers have. German drivers are quite skilled, if North American drivers didn't have speed limits the roads would be extremely dangerous.

What about Poland? They drive a sublime 140 KPH and still do quite well. Are Polish drivers trained to German standards?

I don't think anyone in the US is really advocating for limitless speed limits just yet; but appropriate 130 (85 MPH) and 140 KPH equivalents would be nice.

driver100 said:

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Hurricane evacuation, a real mess, no easy answers.

In 2005, as Hurricane Rita approached the Texas gulf coast, an estimated 2.5 million people tried to evacuate. The result was sheer utter chaos. It’s estimated that more people died due to the evacuation than due to the storm. When you get caught up in that kind of unbelievable mess, you’re s_____d, period.

I knew several people who spent up to 24 hours caught in the gridlock. A nightmare scenario. I was living in Sealy, a small town 30 miles west of Houston, right on one of the major arteries (I-10 West). I volunteered in the relief efforts for the people stuck on the freeway. We were running up and down the shoulders of the highway in 4-wheelers, bringing water and food to people, and carrying some to the local churches for rest and help.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

You can carry an extra can of gas with you or AAA can potentially bring one to you. You can’t call up the auto club and request a bucket of electrons.

I think driver100 is musing on what will happen in the event that everyone is forced to switch to EVs.

Will those rich people be flying off in electric airplanes or helicopters? Oh, I see, the sacrifices don’t apply to them. Hmmmmm.😤🤬😡
    Harness lighting strikes like "Back to the Future"
    edited October 2022

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

De ja vu
    edited October 2022
    Interesting dilemma I just read about. The dealership service department accidentally erased someone's priceless STASIS tune, and STASIS exists no longer hence the pricelessness of it.

Do they sue the dealership for 10 billion dollars, or settle for an APR tune?
    henryn said:

In 2005, as Hurricane Rita approached the Texas gulf coast, an estimated 2.5 million people tried to evacuate. The result was sheer utter chaos. It’s estimated that more people died due to the evacuation than due to the storm. When you get caught up in that kind of unbelievable mess, you’re s_____d, period.

I knew several people who spent up to 24 hours caught in the gridlock. A nightmare scenario. I was living in Sealy, a small town 30 miles west of Houston, right on one of the major arteries (I-10 West). I volunteered in the relief efforts for the people stuck on the freeway. We were running up and down the shoulders of the highway in 4-wheelers, bringing water and food to people, and carrying some to the local churches for rest and help.

That reminds me of the Paradise, CA fires. A lot of people burned because someone thought Vision Zero was a good idea limiting/reducing lanes, installing obstructions, narrowing, and other anti-mobility features.

I wonder if any Vision Zero proponents feel appropriately guilty.
    driver100 said:

Second Letter from Wheels by Dennis O'Sullivan:
    QUESTION

I hope that you can help me get my car back from my ex-boyfriend. There was a problem with the transmission so he told me that he knew where I could get it fixed cheaply. I gave him the van and that was three months ago. He told me that the repair bill was two thousand four hundred dollars. I asked where he had it fixed and he told me that did not matter because it was fixed now. I also told him that he was to give me a price to have it fixed before he went ahead with the repair and he did not do that. I would not have spent two thousand dollars on a 2007 Chevrolet Uplander with close to three hundred thousand kms. I found out where he had taken the car and phoned the garage and asked for the repair bill. The garage told me that my ex-boyfriend was the customer and that I would have to take this up with him. I again called my ex and he told me that I had two weeks to come up with the money or he was going to sell the van. I do not have two thousand dollars. I have called the Ministry and they cannot do anything for me. Is there anything that you can do for me?

ANSWER

Your ex cannot sell the van without an ownership and I hope that you still have it. He also cannot put a mechanical lien on the van because he is not a garage. I did contact the garage for you and the repair bill was two hundred and thirty dollars not two thousand dollars as your ex has said. The garage at this time has not been paid for the repairs. I suggest that you pay the repair bill and then give your ex twenty-four hours to get the van back to you or you will call the police and report that he will not return your vehicle. If he refuses to return your van, you can actually claim that he has stolen your vehicle. The garage will work with you because your ex had given them a heck that bounced. The good thing that has come out of this is that you get your van repaired for far less money than your ex quoted.

PS: I hope that he stays your ex.

Ha ha, sounds like she made a poor choice in both boyfriends and vans. 300k miles? Yikes!

edited October 2022
    andres3 said:

henryn said:

That reminds me of the Paradise, CA fires. A lot of people burned because someone thought Vision Zero was a good idea limiting/reducing lanes, installing obstructions, narrowing, and other anti-mobility features.

I wonder if any Vision Zero proponents feel appropriately guilty.
    I never heard of that. What exactly is vision zero?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    fintail said:

And don't gas pumps have a manual override/pump feature? I know old timey ones did anyway.

Same story from a domain that won't taint your browsing history :D

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/hurricane-ian-floods-are-causing-electric-vehicles-to-burst-into-flames-200639.html

driver100 said:

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,