Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,420

I found this to be quite nice. My wife bought it for my birthday. Less than $100.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 14,752
    edited November 2022

@ab348 said:
    The Sinatra is better than regular JD (which I do not like one little bit) and GJ (which is better than regular JD because it gets a second charcoal filtering, but not all that great either IMO), but Sinatra is ridiculously overpriced for what it is IMO. When I was working for the liquor board the JD rep told us that it was regular JD aged in barrels with grooved staves for extra wood exposure, but was still just 4 to 5 years old. I find that most bourbon maxes out when it's aged for 7 to maybe 10 years and after that starts going the other way. You can get good bourbon for a lot less money with 4 to 5 years of age on it. I am a big fan of either of these from Evan Williams. Try them, you'll like them.

Both solid options there. The bottled in bind is one of the best value bourbons out there. My favorite budget is Wild Turkey 101.

Agree on the Sinatra. A bit over priced.

2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Gifting bourbon?

1792 - solid

I’ll second Eagle Rare if you can get it. It’s not a $100 bottle but typically that’s what you’ll pay as most stores mark it up.

Anything from Barrel, Old Elk or Whistle Pig is also a very nice gift.

Runner ups -

Old Forester 1920
    Russels Reserve 10

All of these are under $100 and good sippers.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 5,829

@tjc78 said:
    Gifting bourbon?

1792 - solid

I’ll second Eagle Rare if you can get it. It’s not a $100 bottle but typically that’s what you’ll pay as most stores mark it up.

Runner ups -

Old Forester 1920
    Russels Reserve 10

————————————————
    What do you recommend for gulping?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 218,648
    jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

Gifting bourbon?

1792 - solid

Runner ups -

Old Forester 1920

Russels Reserve 10

————————————————

jmonroe

Any $10 bottle of rotgut.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:
    Gifting bourbon?

1792 - solid

Runner ups -

Old Forester 1920
    Russels Reserve 10

————————————————

jmonroe

Seagrams 7

@tjc78 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:
    Gifting bourbon?

1792 - solid

Runner ups -

Old Forester 1920
    Russels Reserve 10

————————————————

jmonroe

Seagrams 7

————————————————-
    That stuff wasn’t too bad when you mixed it with 7up.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,626
    OF, seems like a lot of my co-workers are taking today off, so we're going to have a skeleton crew I'd say who do show up. We've been getting busier these last couple of weeks and have worked past 6 pm a few nights already. Starts to get dark around 5:40 now since we kicked daylight savings time to the curb. And since we still start at 8 am, we have a bit of a shorter day with sunlight. When I first started, we'd begin at 7:30 which went to 7:00am my third week there. This was pre-pandemic and at that time, we had a month to move 1500 vehicles. They encouraged us to work as many days/hours as possible so I was working 6 days a week a few weeks there until we shut down for the pandemic. Coming back in mid-June, start times were at 8 with mandatory temperature checks outside of the building with all the protocols in place that they made us go through.
    I plan to ask the big guy about re-instating 7:30 am starting times as we all get into our chase vehicles at the meeting place in Coconut Creek and then most days, drive up to Palm Beach International airport to start the driving part of our day. Depending on traffic, it could take anywhere a good half hour if not more to get to PBI. And since we are officially in season now, we are experiencing more traffic than in the summer. And it all adds up...we had bumper to bumper traffic on Wednesday evening doing our last run to a location near our meeting place. They needed 9 small pick-up trucks for Friday so at 4:30, we all headed to PBI to get them. We were coming south from Vero & Ft. Pierce where our previous run had been to. And it started to rain a bit so add that into the equation, and it took a bit longer to get down to PBI. Long story short, we didn't get down to that other office till just after 6 and didn't get back to clock out until 6:30. Was dark already but that's just the way we roll. I'm sure y'all do the same thing but from what I gather, y'all drive the rentals longer distances than we do on average.
    Guess it's all in a days work. Am no longer working weekends and I'm fine with it, really. Sure, the extra few bucks were nice to get but, no big deal really. If they ask again, will probably say yes. As you know, this job ain't really hard at all and the only bad part is those bonehead drivers we have to deal with daily. Folks down here do some awfully strange things when they get behind the wheel for some odd reason and much of our driving is done on I-95 and the Florida turnpike. We're in bumper to bumper traffic more than I'd like, but it just adds to the bottom line and since we have no control over it, we just have to deal. Such is life...right?

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 16,454
    My wife son and I went to see Glass Onion tonight. We all liked it a lot. My son and I finished off the evening watching the first episode of Criminal Minds: Evolution. Like my late father, we both have a somewhat macabre interest in serial killers. When my dad was judge he took several courses on the criminal behavior from Dr. Ronald Holmes, who was an expert on the subject.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    My wife son and I went to see Glass Onion tonight. We all liked it a lot. My son and I finished off the evening watching the first episode of Criminal Minds: Evolution. Like my late father, we both have a somewhat macabre interest in serial killers. When my dad was judge he took several courses on the criminal behavior from Dr. Ronald Holmes, who was an expert on the subject.

Have you watched Dahmer yet on Netflix? I’m 4 episodes in, and wow. I didn’t think it was possible for a human being to be that messed up.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 21,399

OF, seems like a lot of my co-workers are taking today off, so we're going to have a skeleton crew I'd say who do show up. We've been getting busier these last couple of weeks and have worked past 6 pm a few nights already. Starts to get dark around 5:40 now since we kicked daylight savings time to the curb. And since we still start at 8 am, we have a bit of a shorter day with sunlight. When I first started, we'd begin at 7:30 which went to 7:00am my third week there. This was pre-pandemic and at that time, we had a month to move 1500 vehicles. They encouraged us to work as many days/hours as possible so I was working 6 days a week a few weeks there until we shut down for the pandemic. Coming back in mid-June, start times were at 8 with mandatory temperature checks outside of the building with all the protocols in place that they made us go through.
    I plan to ask the big guy about re-instating 7:30 am starting times as we all get into our chase vehicles at the meeting place in Coconut Creek and then most days, drive up to Palm Beach International airport to start the driving part of our day. Depending on traffic, it could take anywhere a good half hour if not more to get to PBI. And since we are officially in season now, we are experiencing more traffic than in the summer. And it all adds up...we had bumper to bumper traffic on Wednesday evening doing our last run to a location near our meeting place. They needed 9 small pick-up trucks for Friday so at 4:30, we all headed to PBI to get them. We were coming south from Vero & Ft. Pierce where our previous run had been to. And it started to rain a bit so add that into the equation, and it took a bit longer to get down to PBI. Long story short, we didn't get down to that other office till just after 6 and didn't get back to clock out until 6:30. Was dark already but that's just the way we roll. I'm sure y'all do the same thing but from what I gather, y'all drive the rentals longer distances than we do on average.
    Guess it's all in a days work. Am no longer working weekends and I'm fine with it, really. Sure, the extra few bucks were nice to get but, no big deal really. If they ask again, will probably say yes. As you know, this job ain't really hard at all and the only bad part is those bonehead drivers we have to deal with daily. Folks down here do some awfully strange things when they get behind the wheel for some odd reason and much of our driving is done on I-95 and the Florida turnpike. We're in bumper to bumper traffic more than I'd like, but it just adds to the bottom line and since we have no control over it, we just have to deal. Such is life...right?

Pre pandemic we had the option of coming in between 5:30 and 7:00 although some go getters would arrive at 5:00 so they were on the same crew. From there we’d work 10-12 hours on average.

When we came back from layoff we had the mask and temperature routine and at one point had to stand outside to wait for assignments. Thank goodness that ended quickly.

Now we are assigned times between 6 and 8 to start. Our new boss finally got to know which workers wanted long trips and who wanted bankers hours and now we work the same crew.

One big difference is that they haven’t brought back the cleaning crew to full strength so we are often assigned to the airport to drive the cars back and forth so the cleaners don’t have too. Since we are a long distance team it’s frustrating to do monotonous back and forth all day.

Since we came back we have been offered weekend extra work on a volunteer basis. Some guys love it but I decided that since I’m retired I don’t have to scramble for hours any more.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

Have you watched Dahmer yet on Netflix? I’m 4 episodes in, and wow. I didn’t think it was possible for a human being to be that messed up.

There’s a new creepy film out called Bones and All which involves cannibalism. I can’t even watch the advertisements. Who though that subject would make a good holiday movie?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 17,975
    There seems to be a huge market (especially on streaming services) for blood, gore, killing, and generally disgusting human behavior. It says something about the devolution of society I suppose. I refuse to watch any of it.

I can only imagine how the initial pitch meeting for something like Bones and All went. "We've got this idea for a cannibal love story..."

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited November 2022
    tjc78 said:

Last weekend the best spirits show in Canada happened about 5 hours from me in New Brunswick, and I didn't even know about it. Prior to Covid I was on their mailing list but it seems they didn't keep that going after nearly 3 years of having no show. Since it usually sells out quickly they probably didn't need it.

I was looking at the product list for the items they were selling at the on-site store and the prices were incredibly reasonable for the most part. Eagle Rare was going for $54 CDN, which is about $1.98 in greenbacks. I would have bought a whole case.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,054

ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

Surprised about Jack. I don’t enjoy regular Jack straight, but really enjoy GJ and Single Barrel. The Sinatra version is also amazing.

The Sinatra is better than regular JD (which I do not like one little bit) and GJ (which is better than regular JD because it gets a second charcoal filtering, but not all that great either IMO), but Sinatra is ridiculously overpriced for what it is IMO. When I was working for the liquor board the JD rep told us that it was regular JD aged in barrels with grooved staves for extra wood exposure, but was still just 4 to 5 years old. I find that most bourbon maxes out when it's aged for 7 to maybe 10 years and after that starts going the other way. You can get good bourbon for a lot less money with 4 to 5 years of age on it. I am a big fan of either of these from Evan Williams. Try them, you'll like them.

I don’t know much about quality whiskey or bourbon since my hard liquor days ended back when I moved indoors to drink. Back then we drank for effect not taste.

Now I want to give a good bottle of bourbon as a gift and have no idea what to buy. I can go up to $100. Any suggestions?
    Best suggestion is to find out what the intended giftee likes and get them what they like. The thing is everyone has different preferences so what one person likes in a whisky (wine or any spirit or drink or food for that matter) another may not like. It's not that one is right and the other is wrong, it's just that they have different tastes. Different people have different palates and perceive different tastes and textures in food and drink so that is another issue. And there are other variables that would affect the taste for someone like the environment, time of day, emotional state, physical situation among other things that will affect how you taste something. So asking for suggestions is a real crap shoot. Just find out what they like and get it for them. Like is too short to drink something you don't like just because other people say it's good.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

Gifting bourbon?

1792 - solid

Runner ups -

Old Forester 1920

Russels Reserve 10

————————————————

jmonroe

A liver transplant.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,420
    tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

My wife and I watched the first episode and that was enough for us. What a tormented soul.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 26,756
    edited November 2022
    driver100 said:

@henryn
    Good info. Interesting to me and it makes sense that the additives breakdown over time and need replacing, not the fluid itself.
    I found this bit of information after reading your post because I wanted to know the difference;

There are two different types of transmission fluid services: one is a flush and the other is a fluid change. In the transmission, fluid is held in two different places, the transmission pan and and the torque converter. A transmission fluid change is when dirty fluid is drained from the pan, while a fluid flush is when fluid is removed and replaced in the pan, torque converter, and cooler lines.

It seems that if you do replace fluid on a regular basis, it seems 30 to 50k miles a change is good enough, if longer or if under harsh conditions a flush is probably recommended.

When I took my car in the young lady service person said they will change the oil and do the A Service, wait an hour, and then do the transmission flush because they have to allow an hour for it to cool down. When my car was done the service manager said they bought new equipment that flushes it out a lot quicker, so they were done about 40 minutes earlier than expected.

I guess if you are getting your transmission fluid changed or flushed, it is best to combine it with another job so it can cool down while they are at least working on the car.

@driver100
    Since the additives in the trans fluid are what may age or weaken with miles, merely draining the fluid and replacing what drains (often about half the volume) with fresh additive-rich fluid is all that is needed along with a filter change if it's accessible during the pan drop to drain the fluid.

The flush involves NOT dropping the pan at many places and simply connecting hoses to the transmission lines that go to the radiator to a cooling tank inside the radiator. Then they pump fluid through those lines until the fluid coming out of the other end is fresh looking. For older transmissions which may have sediments or coatings that have formed, the flush may dislodge them, either with the pressures involved or from having a transmission now mostly full of additive-rich fluid.

@driver100 since it sounds like they gave you a flush at MB, I'd check the billing to be sure they did replace the trans filter by removing the pan. That pan drop is what many aftermarket shops skip because it takes time compared to connecting to the hoses and slam, bam, the fluid has been replaced.

I'd consider your trans good-to-go for many miles now, and the next service if you still own the car could just be a drain and refill of the half or more of the fluid that drains out when the pan has been removed.
    My humble opinion.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited November 2022
    henryn said:

Just a few thoughts on ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

2) The color really doesn't matter. What does matter is the smell. If it smells burnt, you are in trouble and need to take action immediately. Heat is the number one enemy of an automatic transmission. Hint: It's not the hydraulic fluid / light weight oil that smells burnt, it is the additives. People who tow heavy will always have a temperature gauge to monitor the temperature of the ATF.

3) There is no way to replace the additives except by changing the fluid.

@henryn
    The odd thing about the trans in Cruze and malibu is that the Dexron VI is reported to have a burned smell after a few tens of thousands of miles. That's what scared folks into drain and fill along with the quicker change to darker color from whatever it picks up or whatever happens to the fluid.

Many did a drain, then drove it a few hundred miles or less, and drained again.

In the old days, I could siphon the trans fluid out of the 4T65E trans on my leSabres and do a refill of the half of the fluid I got out without taking off the pan. I could siphon out of the dipstick tube.

Now the transmissions are sealed with bolts for drain and for fill and a bolt for testing the correct level with specific instructions of how to do the testing to get the right volume in the 6-speed trans (I forget the GM model number for it). So most of the DIY folks were draining, then replacing with the same volume that drained out, with the fluid at the same temp for exact volume match.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 16,454
    edited November 2022
    tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

No, but I intend to. I did hear John Douglas speak at a seminar; he wrote the book Mindhunter, which also became a series.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@sda said:
    My wife and I watched the first episode and that was enough for us. What a tormented soul.

To say the least. I want to finish it, but it is a tough watch.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,347
    On bourbon, Weller Antique is a nice sipper. It used to be widely available in Ohio but it seems like supply has dwindled and when it does come in it goes quick.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DC - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited November 2022

@ab348 said:
    Last weekend the best spirits show in Canada happened about 5 hours from me in New Brunswick, and I didn't even know about it. Prior to Covid I was on their mailing list but it seems they didn't keep that going after nearly 3 years of having no show. Since it usually sells out quickly they probably didn't need it.

I was looking at the product list for the items they were selling at the on-site store and the prices were incredibly reasonable for the most part. Eagle Rare was going for $54 CDN, which is about $1.98 in greenbacks. I would have bought a whole case.

I scored bottles of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and Sazerac Rye all at retail from a mail order place in CA. They ship to NJ which isn’t quite legal … but just like J cheating on his taxes I’m not worried.

tjc78 said:

I scored bottles of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and Sazerac Rye all at retail from a mail order place in CA. They ship to NJ which isn’t quite legal … but just like J cheating on his taxes I’m not worried.

Oddly enough, both Buffalo Trace and Sazerac Rye are broadly available here. $44 CAN for BT and $54 CAN for Sazerac.

@snakeweasel said:
    Best suggestion is to find out what the intended giftee likes and get them what they like. The thing is everyone has different preferences so what one person likes in a whisky (wine or any spirit or drink or food for that matter) another may not like. It's not that one is right and the other is wrong, it's just that they have different tastes. Different people have different palates and perceive different tastes and textures in food and drink so that is another issue. And there are other variables that would affect the taste for someone like the environment, time of day, emotional state, physical situation among other things that will affect how you taste something. So asking for suggestions is a real crap shoot. Just find out what they like and get it for them. Like is too short to drink something you don't like just because other people say it's good.

————————————————-
    I swear I saw a post to that effect before yours. :p

jmonroe

@ab348 said:
    Oddly enough, both Buffalo Trace and Sazerac Rye are broadly available here. $44 CAN for BT and $54 CAN for Sazerac.

————————————————-
    You guys are making me thirsty.

jmonroe

@tjc78 said:

@ab348 said:

————————————————
    Oh I worry sometimes but not to the point that it keeps me up at night. If that ever happens, which I doubt, I’ll stop.

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

————————————————-

I swear I saw a post to that effect before yours. :p

jmonroe

Could be I was a bit late to the party

@snakeweasel said:
    Could be I was a bit late to the party

————————————————
    Don’t feel bad we’ve all been there.

jmonroe

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 271
    Today in KY all the Kroger stores with liquor are having sign ups for a drawing to be able purchase one of the Pappy brands. 6 different in the series. Retail is $69.99 to 299.99 for the 23 Year Pappy. Today only from 4 to 8 PM.
    In the past, the sign up was spread over a few days. Groups of friends would load up vans for a road trip to see how many of the 53 Krogers they could sign up.
    If lucky enough to get a 23 YO Pappy for $300.00 you could make $3000.00 or more selling it.

I wish I had some that I drank about 20 years ago before it became a cult favorite.
    jwm40517 said:

Today in KY all the Kroger stores with liquor are having sign ups for a drawing to be able purchase one of the Pappy brands. 6 different in the series. Retail is $69.99 to 299.99 for the 23 Year Pappy. Today only from 4 to 8 PM.
    In the past, the sign up was spread over a few days. Groups of friends would load up vans for a road trip to see how many of the 53 Krogers they could sign up.
    If lucky enough to get a 23 YO Pappy for $300.00 you could make $3000.00 or more selling it.

I wish I had some that I drank about 20 years ago before it became a cult favorite.

————————————————-
    I’m serious about this…I have an unopened 50 + year old bottle of Seagrams 7. How much is that worth today?

jmonroe
    edited November 2022
    jmonroe1 said:

jwm40517 said:

————————————————-
    I’m serious about this…I have an unopened 50 + year old bottle of Seagrams 7. How much is that worth today?

jmonroe
    Unless it's a limited edition bottle or edition it's worth what a new bottle is today. In short the bottle and/or label may make it worth more but the whisky inside won't unless Seagrams has change it's whiskey significantly since then. Whisky stops aging once it's bottled so your run of the mill bottle of whisky won't appreciate in value.

jmonroe1 said:

jwm40517 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    Unless it's a limited edition bottle or edition it's worth what a new bottle is today. In short the bottle and/or label may make it worth more but the whisky inside won't unless Seagrams has change its whiskey significantly since then. Whisky stops aging once it's bottled so your run of the mill bottle of whisky won't appreciate in value.
    ————————————————
    That’s about what I thought too. I doubt it was anything other than a typical off the shelf bottle for that era but maybe Seagrams changed their bottle or labeling slightly since then. If so that could possibly make it have a slight value to a collector because what’s in the bottle can’t make it remotely valuable.

jmonroe
    Seagram's doesn't actually exist any longer. A prime example of billionaire bungling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagram

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,027

@snakeweasel said:
    Whisky stops aging once it's bottled

Time to find a human-sized bottle…

'94 Pajero 2.8TD, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel, '97 Suzuki R Wagon, '92 325i, '97 Alto Works, '96 Opel Astra, TWO 4wd '97 Pajero Minis (1 turbo auto and 1 N/A manual); Wagoneer L on order; and in queue for Lucid Air Pure, Blazer EV, and Fisker Ocean.

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 271
    Signed up at 5 Kroger stores last night but did not get the call this morning.
    Not sure about Seagrams or other Canadians, but old American bourbons are quite collectible I have sold a couple from the 1950's for $150. each. People who collect them refer to old ones as "dustys" referring to the dust on the shoulders of the bottles.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,217
    @imidazol97

I meant to answer your question as to whether I had a transmission flush or change. It was a flush and that is good because now I have the peace of mind of knowing I should be good for at least 6 years, which is probably longer than we will keep the car or come down to Florida. The service manager said they just got new equipment which can flush out the transmission in a lot less time.

I noticed the brakes were 10 mm on the front, and 8 mm for the rear. I haven't done the brakes in 5 years, and that would mean almost no brake wear. I am pretty easy on brakes though, I glide up to stoplights etc.

Brake pads should be changed before they wear down to 1.5mm. A new brake pad will be around 10mm thick. Most manufacturers and mechanics will all agree that you should probably replace your brake pads once they wear down to 3mm.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

ab348 said:

Seagram's doesn't actually exist any longer. A prime example of billionaire bungling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagram

————————————————-
    Well, that changes everything. I could now be sitting on a bottle of gold. Let the bidding begin.

Thanks for that info.

jmonroe
    Watching the rivalry game between The Ohio State University and University of Michigan.

I may have to break out my 25 year old pint of Maker's Mark with all this talk on
    here about firewater!

One of the greatest rivalries in sports!

And absolutely break out the Makers!

Watching the rivalry game between The Ohio State University and University of Michigan.

I may have to break out my 25 year old pint of Maker's Mark with all this talk on
    here about firewater!

————————————————-
    Pint? You won’t have any trouble remembering who won.

jmonroe

@jwm40517 said:
    Signed up at 5 Kroger stores last night but did not get the call this morning.
    Not sure about Seagrams or other Canadians, but old American bourbons are quite collectible I have sold a couple from the 1950's for $150. each. People who collect them refer to old ones as "dustys" referring to the dust on the shoulders of the bottles.

Were these bourbons from distilleries that are still in business? or were they limited edition blends?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 218,648
    tjc78 said:

One of the greatest rivalries in sports!

And absolutely break out the Makers!

What? Yankees-Red Sox isn't the greatest rivalry? Blasphemy!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,626
    A co-worker went to Ohio State and is a rabid fan to say the least!
    Taking my wife for a MRI for her knee later today to rule out a problem with her meniscus. They did a lot of walking in Epcot & Disney last week & she came home in a pretty fair amount of pain. So, we should know something more sometime early in the week. Think she's finally finding out about pain and what I go through everyday. Can change ones life depending on the severity of it like it's changed mine/ours since my work related accident.

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

To be clear about the aged pint of Maker's Mark, I didn't drink much to begin with
    and then when I moved from Cincinnati to marry again, I didn't drink because it killed the allergy medications and decongestants I was taking for my year-round allergies. I usually imbibed that
    great tasting MM with Pepsi when I had a bad cold or flu. Medicinal use...

I envy those who can drink more and know a lot about the variations of firewater
    that's available. I enjoy the discussions here. Just for the record, my earlier bar
    drink was usually rum and (coke) Pepsi. Probably shows my lack of good taste.

My new tire installation was typical of the chain store. The sales person
    came out to ask if I wanted to use one of the 4 free oil changes that came
    with the tire purchase since my car was at 25% life left. I said not now.

Later they came out with a sheet showing the alignment check. I had told
    the guy he didn't need to do that and take the time putting the car on the
    rack and buckling stuff on. I had it aligned about a year ago and it still drove
    perfectly with no signs of changes from hard impacts, etc.. He said they have
    to do the alignment check (hoping to sell parts and hoping to sell an alignment
    if a car needs it.

But the sheet showed some red boxes meaning those measurements were
    out of specification. I spotted the toe adjustment box in the middle that was green
    and camber and caster settings everywhere else were green and good. The front wheels
    are slightly turned to the right a fraction of a degree. Probably the way the dealer
    guy made the steering wheel centered. I told him no on the alignment.

They call it the steering angle or something like that. I figure I'll forget about it
    unless I see the tire tracks front and back not following each other going straight
    down the road on damp pavement where the tracks show up.

A co-worker went to Ohio State and is a rabid fan to say the least!
    Taking my wife for a MRI for her knee later today to rule out a problem with her meniscus. They did a lot of walking in Epcot & Disney last week & she came home in a pretty fair amount of pain. So, we should know something more sometime early in the week. Think she's finally finding out about pain and what I go through everyday. Can change ones life depending on the severity of it like it's changed mine/ours since my work related accident.

I notice the use of the word "rabid" for your friend's intensity, and I have to agree that's true of a lot of OSU fans and some others I see on TV at games. OSU will have to wait until next year. Michigan won.

I hope your wife's knee can be fixed easily with therapy or minor treatments. My wife has lots of arthritis problems with her spine and other joints. I feel lucky I've only had a few things and had a great therapist to train me on exercises.

To be clear about the aged pint of Maker's Mark, I didn't drink much to begin with
    and then when I moved from Cincinnati to marry again, I didn't drink because it killed the allergy medications and decongestants I was taking for my year-round allergies. I usually imbibed that

I envy those who can drink more and know a lot about the variations of firewater
    that's available. I enjoy the discussions here. Just for the record, my earlier bar

I had a promising career going as an alcohol “expert” when my future wife ruined it by dragging me out of bed early every Sunday morning for church. Made it hard to sample enough to improve my knowledge.

I had an interesting mailer come today from the Kia dealer. I assumed it would be another recall notice but instead it was a “come on down” invitation to buy a new car. They claimed the shortage was over and the time for big trade in money was going fast. They even included a $500 certificate.

Could it be things are returning to normal?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,027

My weekend project. I built it just deep enough to allow a lift to be installed in front of it. I have the company who installed the garage doors a couple of years back coming on Tues to talk about changing the path of the tracks to go all the way to the ceiling. I have 12-foot ceilings so I should put them to better use.

And, yes, those “stairs” are very steep and narrow. Much more like a ladder than stairs, but they work great for someone 6’5” who doesn’t want to break out the ladder just to get up there each time. I had to work with the space I had. Ha.

'94 Pajero 2.8TD, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel, '97 Suzuki R Wagon, '92 325i, '97 Alto Works, '96 Opel Astra, TWO 4wd '97 Pajero Minis (1 turbo auto and 1 N/A manual); Wagoneer L on order; and in queue for Lucid Air Pure, Blazer EV, and Fisker Ocean.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,427

I had a promising career going as an alcohol “expert” when my future wife ruined it by dragging me out of bed early every Sunday morning for church. Made it hard to sample enough to improve my knowledge.

I had an interesting mailer come today from the Kia dealer. I assumed it would be another recall notice but instead it was a “come on down” invitation to buy a new car. They claimed the shortage was over and the time for big trade in money was going fast. They even included a $500 certificate.

Could it be things are returning to normal?

Around here Kia dealers are still adding an average ADM of $2k to cars.