Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,103
    It looks unsafe to me. I can see where I might have viewed it as fun when I was 25 and carefree to ride in a vehicle exposed like that...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,238
    safer than riding a motorcycle.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    What about removing the doors on motorcycles? :o
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,358

————————————————
    They’re automatically removed upon startup. I can prove that because I’ve never seen any on the road with doors and neither have you.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,944
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————
    They’re automatically removed upon startup. I can prove that because I’ve never seen any on the road with doors and neither have you.

jmonroe
    oh yeh;

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    oh yeh;

————————————————
    Not all 2 wheeled motorized vehicles are motor cycles. Not sure what that is but it could have been the first test run of the Smart Car.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    it is a motorcyle with an enclosed body and the dual rear wheels.

stickguy said:

it is a motorcyle with an enclosed body and the dual rear wheels.

————————————————
    Oh yeah, that thing does have 3 wheels. So it’s a motorized tricycle, still not a real motor cycle.

jmonroe
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,813
    edited June 2023

@driver100 said:
    oh yeh;

That’s awesome. I want one.
    Wonder if it has AC. Would be a brutal hotbox without it.

EDIT: saw some commercial videos on it. No AC. All electric with max 60-mile range. Meh. Not so interested now. Make it a 200cc PHEV with AC and you’ve got a hit. ;)

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited June 2023
    I think that's snow on the hillside behind it. So we don't need air conditioning in that
    cute little thing.

Somehow I can't picture _some_ of the Harley Davidson riders in this area riding one
    of those motorcycles. Some of them work hard to exude a macho image when they're
    riding their bikes. That's including their loud, loud pipes which they will rev just to
    annoy everyone around them, especially when sitting in traffic at a stoplight. Or the
    loud pipes as they ride between two lanes of cars to be at the front of the line
    at the stoplight.

On the other hand, there are all the people who ride the bikes for enjoyment,
    courteously, carefully, and relatively quietly.

Reminds me of a story from our last trip in Pigeon Forge. We were heading out
    early and drove by a motel with a huge cluster of 100 or so people in the parking
    lot. Motorcyclists. I wondered if they were heading the Tail of the Dragon road
    on the southwest border of the park. I wondered if we were going to see a lot
    of them driving on the main road where we were headed.

There were several motorcyclists that morning where we were.
    Careful drivers. Courteous with their bikes when they stopped in
    the scenic pulloffs. Just having a great time for themselves.
    I even took pictures for a couple who were taking single pictures of their SO
    so they could both be in the picture with the scenic background.

I drove a motorcycle on the road for the first time in my life yesterday. Delivered my bike to a friend in town for his son. Most terrifying 3 miles of my life, and I only encountered a half dozen cars on the trip. I just can't imagine how people do it every day and at much higher speeds than I reached (kept it under 45). Took a bath on it considering the amount of use I got out of it, but I needed it gone. And I'd rather lose a few hundred to a friend than a rando internet idiot.

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I used to ride all over on the back of my friends Honda 55 cc when I was a teenager.
    Now that I think about it....I am very fortunate to still be alive.

I prefer having metal around me these days....the more the better!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    edited June 2023
    A little surprise when changing the cabin air filter.
    Thinking maybe a chipmunk got in there.
    Watched a couple of YT How To videos and it went pretty quick.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,929
    A year or two ago around this time of year I witnessed a very alarming incident on my street just uphill from my house. I was outside and heard, then saw, a guy on a crotch rocket Japanese sport bike with very loud pipes pull up at the stop sign, then take off at what must have been full throttle with a deafening shriek from the bike. My first thought was "what an a***ole" as he shot past at a high rate of speed. As I watched him zoom away from me, I saw a neighbor in his F-150 back out of his driveway into the lane this jerk was going to be in. If the F-150 driver had looked before reversing he probably would not have seen this guy coming because of the rate of speed he was going.

I figured I was going to be the witness to one of two things: either a very serious or fatal crash, or at least a nasty dump onto the asphalt for the biker. Instead, the guy executed what was either a very skilled or very lucky evasive maneuver around the truck which was now fully blocking the lane and disappeared over the hill.

This is normally a very quiet residential street with very little traffic, but in summer we seem to be plagued by both cars and bikes like that one tearing along making a lot of noise. I guess because of the lack of other traffic these drivers have realized they can open up their engines here. But I have never understood the appeal of loud exhausts.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited June 2023

@ab348 : “But I have never understood the appeal of loud exhausts.“

Might be due to a, ahem, let’s say, a physical “short-coming”, the person has?

qbrozen said:

@driver100 said:

oh yeh;

That’s awesome. I want one.

Wonder if it has AC. Would be a brutal hotbox without it.

EDIT: saw some commercial videos on it. No AC. All electric with max 60-mile range. Meh. Not so interested now. Make it a 200cc PHEV with AC and you’ve got a hit. ;)

————————————————
    C’mon man, did you forget how to roll down windows? :o

jmonroe
    ab348 said:

A year or two ago around this time of year I witnessed a very alarming incident on my street just uphill from my house. I was outside and heard, then saw, a guy on a crotch rocket Japanese sport bike with very loud pipes pull up at the stop sign, then take off at what must have been full throttle with a deafening shriek from the bike. My first thought was "what an a***ole" as he shot past at a high rate of speed. As I watched him zoom away from me, I saw a neighbor in his F-150 back out of his driveway into the lane this jerk was going to be in. If the F-150 driver had looked before reversing he probably would not have seen this guy coming because of the rate of speed he was going.

I figured I was going to be the witness to one of two things: either a very serious or fatal crash, or at least a nasty dump onto the asphalt for the biker. Instead, the guy executed what was either a very skilled or very lucky evasive maneuver around the truck which was now fully blocking the lane and disappeared over the hill.

This is normally a very quiet residential street with very little traffic, but in summer we seem to be plagued by both cars and bikes like that one tearing along making a lot of noise. I guess because of the lack of other traffic these drivers have realized they can open up their engines here. But I have never understood the appeal of loud exhausts.

————————————————
    Not that I like the noise either but I think those loud pipes have saved more that a few bikers because most drivers don’t look out for them. Consider it self preservation built in by most bike manufacturers.

jmonroe
    Hey, I just noticed this. I made the 3000 th page for this form, not the first but I made it. Tell your poster buddies before it’s too late because I think Edmunds is going to throw a party for those of us who made it.

jmonroe
    Never liked idea of riding on a motorcycle. My ex-brother-in-law took me at age 10-11 on the back of his cycle into town. 10 miles of country roads and an S-curve set. I was scared to death. Still am when I think about it. Phobia.

AND in my mid twenties I saw a motorcyclist that had hit a car which turned in front of him on a state highway. He was lying on the top of the slightly banked curve and, well I won't describe the rest of the scene. That reinforced my phobia since cyclists can't always count on others in a car world seeing them coming, especially with no headlights and with no helmets.

Much later, my current wife and I were in a Knoxville motel visiting Pigeon Forge during the World's Fair. A "gang" of Goldwing riders and wives were staying there. Talking to many I learned they were dentists, doctors, lawyers, and Indian chiefs (well not really). Really presented a positive impression. Plus those bikes cost what some folks paid for a car in those days...

A little surprise when changing the cabin air filter.
    Thinking maybe a chipmunk got in there.
    Watched a couple of YT How To videos and it went pretty quick.

I wonder how mice and chipmunks get into the car to get to the filter.

jmonroe1 said:

C’mon man, did you forget how to roll down windows? :o

jmonroe

If I wanted an open-air experience, I wouldn't but an enclosed trike.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,481
    I think there are 30 posts per page, so that makes 90,0000 posts.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,041

150,000+ in this discussion

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

————————————————
    Wow, I knew there were a lot but didn’t think there were that many. I hope you guys ordered enough rib eyes, beer and bourbon for the cookout.

jmonroe
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,368
    jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

————————————————
    Wow, I knew there were a lot but didn’t think there were that many. I hope you guys ordered enough rib eyes, beer and bourbon for the cookout.

jmonroe
    Hot dogs and PBR.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@Michaell said:
    Hot dogs and PBR.

————————————————
    With that menu there is going to be a LOT of no shows. :'(

jmonroe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,737

@kyfdx said:

And we thought 100K in the old Stories from the …. was a lot.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,737

I wonder what the longest running threads are now. I’d wager CCBA and Project Cars

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

I wonder what the longest running threads are now. I’d wager CCBA and Project Cars

I think this discussion has the most posts.. just a few more than CCBA.

Also, this is the 2nd (or 3rd?) iteration of this discussion

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,481
    50 per page I guess. Live and learn.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

It was 30, at one time... then 40. Now, 50.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

jmonroe1 said:

@Michaell said:

Hot dogs and PBR.

————————————————

jmonroe

Given the amount of dues we collect, you're lucky we can provide that. Also, you'll have to fund your own travel to Lebanon, KS - the geographic center of the lower 48 (sorry, @xwesx)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited June 2023

@Michaell said:
    Given the amount of dues we collect, you're lucky we can provide that. Also, you'll have to fund your own travel to Lebanon, KS - the geographic center of the lower 48 (sorry, @xwesx)

Shouldn't it be held at the center of the members of the group. Just mark each location and the go to the center of the group.

I recall the Bonneville Pontiac online group wanted a get together. I suggested Bonneville Ky (Bonnieville Ky).

What would be the weighted center of the active members on this topic

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457
    Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

@Michaell said:

Hot dogs and PBR.

————————————————

jmonroe

Isn’t that somewhere neat where Hoovie lives? BTW, what’s the 411 on him moving out of his house? Divorce?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

What would be the weighted center of the active members on this topic

Assuming that everyone has been truthful about where they live, likely more east than Kansas, and probably right on the Mason-Dixon Line.

A little Mason-Dixon music to end the day

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Isn’t that somewhere neat where Hoovie lives? BTW, what’s the 411 on him moving out of his house? Divorce?

Last video was emptying the garage and moving so that house is gone. Never specifically said but clearly got divorced.

@kyfdx said:
    I think this discussion has the most posts.. just a few more than CCBA.

Also, this is the 2nd (or 3rd?) iteration of this discussion

————————————————
    Pretty soon we’re going to get it right. o:)

jmonroe

@Michaell said:
    Assuming that everyone has been truthful about where they live, likely more east than Kansas, and probably right on the Mason-Dixon Line.

A little Mason-Dixon music to end the day

————————————————
    Ye haw, I can live with that. I think I’m even closer than our Kentucky contingent. To show you I’m a nice guy, but I’m sure y’all knew that, I’ll bring the charcoal.

jmonroe

kyfdx said:

It was 30, at one time... then 40. Now, 50.
    It was 30 per page when we had the original JMonroe.......he used to write novella posts, but since his cousin took over we now get 50 per page....and a lot better sense of humor. :D

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,250

Never liked idea of riding on a motorcycle. My ex-brother-in-law took me at age 10-11 on the back of his cycle into town. 10 miles of country roads and an S-curve set. I was scared to death. Still am when I think about it. Phobia.

AND in my mid twenties I saw a motorcyclist that had hit a car which turned in front of him on a state highway. He was lying on the top of the slightly banked curve and, well I won't describe the rest of the scene. That reinforced my phobia since cyclists can't always count on others in a car world seeing them coming, especially with no headlights and with no helmets.

Much later, my current wife and I were in a Knoxville motel visiting Pigeon Forge during the World's Fair. A "gang" of Goldwing riders and wives were staying there. Talking to many I learned they were dentists, doctors, lawyers, and Indian chiefs (well not really). Really presented a positive impression. Plus those bikes cost what some folks paid for a car in those days...

I posted this on another forum:
    Okay friends, I'm going to get on my non-political soapbox and repost my own PSA:
    It seems like I read about a fatal motorcycle accident almost every day, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think most all of them were preventable- or at least survivable. Here's how you don't become a statistic:
    1. All The Gear All The Time(ATGATT): Wear a full face helmet, preferably with a current Snell rating. Expensive? I just picked one up for $140- how much is YOUR head worth? And a flat black helmet might look cool, but a high-visibility color will help others see you.
    Wear leathers or an armored textile suit. "But it's hot!!!" you complain- not if you get a suit with good ventilation. And as one of my friends so eloquently put it, "Wiping off a little sweat beats the heck out of lying face down in the ER for a couple of hours while a doctor picks gravel out of your butt."
    Get some riding boots while you are at it, sneakers don't cut it.
    2. Get training- at a minimum the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic RiderCourse. H-D dealers offer a similar course.
    If you treat the front brake lever as if it was radioactive or think "layin' it down" is a good emergency strategy you NEED one of these courses.
    3. Think and ANTICIPATE trouble when you are riding. Assume the worst. Look for possible threats- as far down the road as possible. For example, if I see an oncoming car has an opportunity to turn left in front of me I roll off the throttle a bit and cover my front brake- whether the car has its turn signal on or not. Ditto for cars stopped at a side street. I assume they are going to pull out in front of me. A couple of cars have- and I was able to stop with no drama.
    You may have the right-of-way, but that won't make your injuries heal any faster if a brain-dead idiot turns in front of you...
    Okay, I'm done...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,250
    Here's my current bike, but I plan to sell it and get a dual purpose bike that I can use to ride around the farm.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,290

@roadburner said:
    I posted this on another forum:
    Okay friends, I'm going to get on my non-political soapbox and repost my own PSA:
    It seems like I read about a fatal motorcycle accident almost every day, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think most all of them were preventable- or at least survivable. Here's how you don't become a statistic:
    1. All The Gear All The Time(ATGATT): Wear a full face helmet, preferably with a current Snell rating. Expensive? I just picked one up for $140- how much is YOUR head worth? And a flat black helmet might look cool, but a high-visibility color will help others see you.
    Wear leathers or an armored textile suit. "But it's hot!!!" you complain- not if you get a suit with good ventilation. And as one of my friends so eloquently put it, "Wiping off a little sweat beats the heck out of lying face down in the ER for a couple of hours while a doctor picks gravel out of your butt."
    Get some riding boots while you are at it, sneakers don't cut it.
    2. Get training- at a minimum the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic RiderCourse. H-D dealers offer a similar course.
    If you treat the front brake lever as if it was radioactive or think "layin' it down" is a good emergency strategy you NEED one of these courses.
    3. Think and ANTICIPATE trouble when you are riding. Assume the worst. Look for possible threats- as far down the road as possible. For example, if I see an oncoming car has an opportunity to turn left in front of me I roll off the throttle a bit and cover my front brake- whether the car has its turn signal on or not. Ditto for cars stopped at a side street. I assume they are going to pull out in front of me. A couple of cars have- and I was able to stop with no drama.
    You may have the right-of-way, but that won't make your injuries heal any faster if a brain-dead idiot turns in front of you...
    Okay, I'm done...

It starts in the same households where I see parents letting their kids ride bikes to school with no helmet on busy roads. Oh, and the Venn diagram with riders who are texting while riding…

Does that really set them up for the right muscle memory to wear gear and be alert when they get older? Nope.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,929
    I figure any conveyance that falls over while standing still probably is going to be a bit hazardous.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

It seems to me a lot of motorcycle accidents happen when cars make a left turn in front of them, it is hard to drive a motorcycle defensively in those cases no matter how good of a helmet you got!

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,646
    I'm sans M240 vert for a few days; rear wheel bearings need to be replaced (warranty, woo hoo!). They said fronts are good.
    Have a loaner '23 BMW 530xi in a cool gray over cognac (sensatec, love the cognac!). It's a big, generically handsome highway cruiser, with the (imho) terrible current IP. Only drove it home from the dealer, expected a 320 loaner. But, in my brief time with it, prefer my A7.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

A couple of automotive related stories from my wife, today.

The cooking studio is in a strip mall in a nice part of the Denver suburbs. She sits at the front desk, and has a good view into the parking lot, and the parking stalls right in front.

She noticed a Cadillac SUV (I'll assume Escalade) with an honest-to-god Club stretched across the steering wheel. When was the last time you saw one of those in use? Turns out the owner was an elderly lady.

Second, a red Audi convertible was parked with the top down, and it started to rain. Hard. I don't think she was able to spot the owner.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

A couple of automotive related stories from my wife, today.

The cooking studio is in a strip mall in a nice part of the Denver suburbs. She sits at the front desk, and has a good view into the parking lot, and the parking stalls right in front.

She noticed a Cadillac SUV (I'll assume Escalade) with an honest-to-god Club stretched across the steering wheel. When was the last time you saw one of those in use? Turns out the owner was an elderly lady.

Second, a red Audi convertible was parked with the top down, and it started to rain. Hard. I don't think she was able to spot the owner.

————————————————
    Another senior moment. Could have been with the club using lady. :'(

jmonroe
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,290
    A proper topic for this place, our 5 year old Trane XR AC unit (paired with the original Bryant Furnace and Air Handler from when the house was built 11 years ago) isn't kicking on. Last night it started with blown fuse on the Air Handler unit, which I replaced this morning - I'm thinking it's probably the capacitor but this is far my from area of expertise, so a tech is coming out tomorrow. Of course the unit is outside the labor warranty...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    @28firefighter
    Those capacitors all seem to run $250+. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator