Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,171
    I was behind a black corvette convertible with license plate 9TMARE (nightmare)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,353
    mjfloyd1 said:

I was behind a black corvette convertible with license plate 9TMARE (nightmare)

————————————————
    I don’t get it. o:)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,278
    mjfloyd1 said:

It’s really not much different as running out of gas without making a plan to refuel. There are apps with gas stations and there are apps with charging stations but you have to be aware and watch your fuel / charge level and range left.

Oh so you just get someone with an electric can and bring you some electrons, got it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited September 2023
    jmonroe1 said:

I’d say it’s a LOT different owning an EV than an ICE car. Even if I was dopey enough to not notice how much gas I have in my tank and the gas light comes on, most ICE cars can go at least 30 miles if driven responsibly before you run out pf gas. That’s more than likely enough to get to a gas station.
    jmonroe

Yep gas stations are not that far apart.

stickguy said:

If I went to the store and the only spot was next to the cart corral, I would just turn around and go home. I would not park near one of those under any circumstances!

My car is 13 years old with 125K miles on it, at this point I don't sweat those things.

driver100 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

If you are talking the advantage of a convection oven compared to a regular oven it is about 25% faster.
    Or, for smaller dishes an air fryer can cook food faster than a regular oven.
    You can use your air fryer to cook recipes that have instructions for cooking in the oven. Because the heat in the air fryer is more intense than a standard oven, reduce the suggested temperature by 25ºF to 50ºF and cut the time by roughly 20%.

What's the hurry?
    The rule in our home is all meals should be prepared in under 15 minutes, 20 for something special.
    There's nothing wrong with fast, air fryers can enhance the taste of many foods....sealing in flavors.
    Meals prepared in under 15 minutes? We would starve if he held to that.

@snakeweasel said:
    Oh so you just get someone with an electric can and bring you some electrons, got it.

Nope. They both tell you the miles before empty and you plan accordingly. It’s pretty simple unless you are a simpleton

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,944
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

with your luck they will deny the claim because you messed around with it! Especially if more damage was caused.

when I have a car under warranty, I am not doing anything other than consumables maintenance (like wiper blades). Let them mess with it so my hands stay (figuratively) clean.

————————————————
    I’d take my chances and claim if they didn’t want the owner changing fuses then they shouldn’t put fuse info in the manual. Fuses are a consumable protective device. I don’t scare that easily.

jmonroe
    Maserati Levante 2023 Fuses and Fuse Box User Manual

Auto User Guide
    https://www.autouserguide.com › maserati › maserati-l...
    Jun 21, 2023 — Considering the complexity of this operation, we recommend having the fuses replaced by an Authorized Maserati Dealer.
    ————————————————
    That link told me nothing about changing a fuse in a Maserati or any other car for that matter.

Did anyone else get any fuse changing info from that link?

jmonroe
    Your not supposed to get a link on how to do it...they tell you to take it to your dealer. There are lots of fuses involved and it should probably be left to the experts.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited September 2023

You’re😂

driver100 said:

Good, but even that would be illegal in Ontario Canada. You can't have your phone in your car when driving, which includes stopped for a red light.

So you have to leave your phone at home?

edited September 2023

There, their, they’re…. It will be alright 😂

driver100 said:

Auto User Guide
    Jun 21, 2023 — Considering the complexity of this operation, we recommend having the fuses replaced by an Authorized Maserati Dealer.

Maserati definitely has a handle on the aptitude (or lack thereof) of the people who buy their cars.
    I checked my 2020 C Class manual and it simply shows how to access all 3 fuse boxes.
    Perhaps you should look into wearing a Maserati.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea what that proves. So you can change a fuse on any car......great, I am very happy for you. I am sure a few people around here will be impressed. Like I said, I haven't had a fuse blow in over 50 years, that is a really valuable skill to have. I am glad you'll be prepared if a fuse goes.

jmonroe1 said:

I’d say it’s a LOT different owning an EV than an ICE car. Even if I was dopey enough to not notice how much gas I have in my tank and the gas light comes on, most ICE cars can go at least 30 miles if driven responsibly before you run out pf gas. That’s more than likely enough to get to a gas station.
    jmonroe

Yep gas stations are not that far about.

————————————————
    I guess you can say that place is not one of my “more than likely” situations. However, an EV for sure better not go there or maybe any place close to that area.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Then there are the Maserati owners who need to visit the dealer to get a fuse changed...

If you can afford one you don’t sully your hands with that kind of stuff.
    Exactly. The guy with the Maserati got a sales job with Levi's when they went big....and had a Corvette by the time he was 23 years old. Then he got involved with 3 partners and created a national chain of men's clothing stores that is still in business about 50 years later.
    His time can be spent doing better things than changing a fuse.
    ————————————————
    Changing a fuse takes 10 minutes at the most. So your friend wasted a LOT more time than that taking his car in for a fuse change and that’s a fact. So, in the end is your friend really all that smart with how he manages his time?

jmonroe
    Since he never had to change a fuse I have no idea what he would have done, but I'd rather the dealer do it on a $140000 car...he might find out why the fuse went in the first place.

So what is the story again about your oil change.......I think you don't remember what happened.
    ————————————————
    Why should I waste my time telling you again? You won’t remember it anyhow.

BTW, how’s your sticking door doing? I didn’t see anything about that.

jmonroe
    Yes, I forgot to get back to you. I tightened all the screws on the hinge and the screws that go into the door, and I bought and used 2 inch screws. The gap is still at the top, but I think it isn't as great. I might not know more until it gets cold out....that is when it sticks. I can't get rid of the gap completely.
    If it sticks, then I think I have to get a lower sill for along the bottom.
    I am hoping the gap has narrowed, and that will be enough to prevent it getting stuck.
    Thanks again, and you do have a good memory for some things.

driver100 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

If you are talking the advantage of a convection oven compared to a regular oven it is about 25% faster.
    Or, for smaller dishes an air fryer can cook food faster than a regular oven.
    You can use your air fryer to cook recipes that have instructions for cooking in the oven. Because the heat in the air fryer is more intense than a standard oven, reduce the suggested temperature by 25ºF to 50ºF and cut the time by roughly 20%.

What's the hurry?
    The rule in our home is all meals should be prepared in under 15 minutes, 20 for something special.
    There's nothing wrong with fast, air fryers can enhance the taste of many foods....sealing in flavors.
    Meals prepared in under 15 minutes? We would starve if he held to that.
    ————————————————
    That explains why he’s so anemic looking in that horizontally striped shirt he was wearing a while back.

jmonroe
    mjfloyd1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

Nope. They both tell you the miles before empty and you plan accordingly. It’s pretty simple unless you are a simpleton

————————————————
    Our poster buddy has a friend who fits that description.

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

with your luck they will deny the claim because you messed around with it! Especially if more damage was caused.

when I have a car under warranty, I am not doing anything other than consumables maintenance (like wiper blades). Let them mess with it so my hands stay (figuratively) clean.

————————————————
    I’d take my chances and claim if they didn’t want the owner changing fuses then they shouldn’t put fuse info in the manual. Fuses are a consumable protective device. I don’t scare that easily.

jmonroe

Auto User Guide
    ————————————————
    That link told me nothing about changing a fuse in a Maserati or any other car for that matter.

Did anyone else get any fuse changing info from that link?

jmonroe
    You’re not supposed to get a link on how to do it...they tell you to take it to your dealer. There are lots of fuses involved and it should probably be left to the experts.
    ————————————————
    I’ve heard that before and when it comes to finding a blown fuse I am the expert. Anyone with eyes can see if a fuse is blown and if you can’t believe your eyes, a multimeter works too.

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

Then there are the Maserati owners who need to visit the dealer to get a fuse changed...

Exactly. The guy with the Maserati got a sales job with Levi's when they went big....and had a Corvette by the time he was 23 years old. Then he got involved with 3 partners and created a national chain of men's clothing stores that is still in business about 50 years later.
    Just how long does it take to change a fuse? A minute?

driver100 said:

Just how long does it take to change a fuse? A minute?
    ————————————————
    Hint: don’t go there.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

————————————————
    I guess you can say that place is not one of my “more than likely” situations. However, an EV for sure better not go there or maybe any place close to that area.

jmonroe
    I think that's the longest distance in North America, I do remember seeing something around 70 miles to the next service in Wyoming. Along US 30 here in IL there is a segment where it's a little over 40 miles between stations. However if you don't mind a 5 or 6 mile detour there is a small town with one or two stations a bit south of the road.

It seems that changing a fuse in a Maserati isn't rocket science...you don't need to be a brain surgeon:
    How do I replace a blown fuse in my Maserati Levante 2023?
    To fix a blown fuse, find the relevant fuse in the fuse box, remove the damaged fuse with a fuse remover or pair of needle-nose pliers, and replace it with a fresh fuse of the same rating.
    Big deal, even I can do that!

driver100 said:

It seems that changing a fuse in a Maserati isn't rocket science...you don't need to be a brain surgeon:
    To fix a blown fuse, find the relevant fuse in the fuse box, remove the damaged fuse with a fuse remover or pair of needle-nose pliers, and replace it with a fresh fuse of the same rating.

————————————————
    Really? Do you have either of those high tech tools?

jmonroe
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,284

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

————————————————

jmonroe
    I think that's the longest distance in North America, I do remember seeing something around 70 miles to the next service in Wyoming. Along US 30 here in IL there is a segment where it's a little over 40 miles between stations. However if you don't mind a 5 or 6 mile detour there is a small town with one or two stations a bit south of the road.
    On I-70 in Utah, there is a 100+ mile stretch with no services.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

————————————————

jmonroe
    On I-70 in Utah, there is a 100+ mile stretch with no services.
    ————————————————
    That’s not a total surprise but if I had to guess I would have said Wyoming or Montana.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,456
    mjfloyd1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

Or you go to rural VT.😫

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    It isn't me who thinks he's a genius because he can change a fuse in a Maserati!
    And yes, we have basic household tools.

mjfloyd1 said:

There, their, they’re…. It will be alright 😂

.....and here's a real life story;

I lady here had to take her kid to a hockey game that was 100 miles out of town....and then return that same evening. She was in a bit of a panic because her new Tesla has a range of just over 200 miles, on a good day. She was told there would be charging stations at the arena....not sure why arenas have charging stations.
    Fortunately, they had charging stations and they were working and she could plug in her car. But, she goes to other tournaments with her kids hockey and she said she wouldn't buy another EV.

I am just reporting what my friend told me.

They see me scrollin’…

Good, if you have nothing of value to add then just keep going.........

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,235

I’m an emergency you don’t actually need a supercharger or charge America station. In an emergency, Just an electric outlet. And last I checked even Vermont (usually) has electricity.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,832

Skunk?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 232,973
    Digging? Or, mounds?

If digging, yes, it looks like a skunk

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

I’m an emergency you don’t actually need a supercharger or charge America station. In an emergency, Just an electric outlet. And last I checked even Vermont (usually) has electricity.

Here's a breakdown of the charging methods and approximately how long each take to fully charge a Tesla from a low battery: Level 1 AC (120V outlet at home): 20-40 hours. AC Level 2 (Third party chargers/Tesla chargers/Tesla home charger): 8-12 hours.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    OWNER’S MANUALS…..I don’t think I’ve cracked one open in 15 years. Even when the sales man wants to go over features/functions of my new ride, I dismiss him. Part if it is because I pride myself in knowing tech. The other part, I’ve had so many Honda products I have a really good feel about their tech and engineering.

FUSES (and flat tires)….Last I can recall ever changing a car fuse or had a flat tire was on my early ‘80s Trans Am. Tire blew one week before the fuse (for the lights).

MASERATI….If memory serves, I found a great deal on a slightly used one owner Quattroporte and I let you guys talk me out of buying it. Probably the best advice I ever got from all of you!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

MASERATI….If memory serves, I found a great deal on a slightly used one owner Quattroporte and I let you guys talk me out of buying it. Probably the best advice I ever got from all of you!

When I was looking up fuses and Maserati's I was surprised at the problems drivers were having with their cars, especially Ghibli's. A lot wouldn't start because of blown fuses. I guess they tell you to take them to the dealer for some models because then they can maybe solve the problem that causes the fuse to go.

I am glad you didn't by the Maserati.

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Here's a breakdown of the charging methods and approximately how long each take to fully charge a Tesla from a low battery: Level 1 AC (120V outlet at home): 20-40 hours. AC Level 2 (Third party chargers/Tesla chargers/Tesla home charger): 8-12 hours.
    missing the point. you don't need a full charge. same as running out of gas on the highway. The truck does not bring enough to fill your tank, just enough to get you to a station. So in a Tesla, if you died 10 miles from a charger, you only need about 20 miles of electrons to get there (with a cushion)

there are also apps (or were in the early days) that list personal chargers you can use. Not 100% sure how it worked (if it was the community helping each other out in the early days, or a way to make money renting your charger). But even if you are not near a formal charging station, very likely you are near a charger better than plugging into a 120 outlet!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,248
    edited September 2023

You can’t fix stupid.
    Conversely, here is a friend’s EV experience:
    “The supercharger network. There's superchargers galore. The car 'finds' one for you, when it senses the destination is further than what you have left in the 'tank'. When I first got the car, I also kept a list of plugshare sites, but never had to use any.”

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    It isn't me who thinks he's a genius because he can change a fuse in a Maserati!
    And yes, we have basic household tools.
    ————————————————
    I never said I was a genius but compared to some I’m pretty close. :p

I’m sure you have a hammer, screwdriver, a pair of vise grips and for the tough jobs, a bigger hammer. BTW, which one did you use to fix your sticking door?

jmonroe
    stickguy said:

————————————————
    If you’re relegated to that I suggest you pack a lunch, dinner and bring along pillows and some blankets. But if you want to rough it, sure.

jmonroe
    You can run out of gas in the boonies too, when the rare stations are closed on a holiday. I came within fumes of that once.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,926
    Can we pivot this board to talking about appliances again? Geeez, guys... :/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,832
    kyfdx said:

Digging? Or, mounds?

If digging, yes, it looks like a skunk

Yes. Digging. I put down something that is supposed to kill grubs and a myriad of other not very desirable insect-like creatures. It rained yesterday. I want to see if it has spread tomorrow morning.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,884
    edited September 2023
    The light bulb on the micro-wave that shines down on the stove burned out again. I think it burns out 3-4 times a year. I tried one of the micro-wave LED bulbs but it doesn't dim. Perhaps the newer ones do? Anyhow it is a pain to replace. There is a very small phillips screw to secures the glass cover that is tedious to fasten without dropping it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,737
    edited September 2023

Most LED bulbs say if they are dimmable or not. I’d wager those specialty ones are not in most cases. You would think by now they are.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited September 2023
    venture said:

Skunk?

————————————————
    I had a skunk in the house once. It’s a looong story but it ended well. I tell just a little bit here:

Came home from helping a friend move into his first home one Saturday at about 8 PM. Had to put the kids to bed. As I’m coming out of the bathroom I hear ticking. I look down and there it is, a skunk walking into Son #1’s bedroom. His room was the only room in the house that still had the uncovered hardwood floor. He continues to go under his bed and camps in the corner. I had just put wallpaper in his room and the travis rod was still under his bed. When I reached for the travis rod to coakes him out the plastics piece’s rattled and he started to move. I kept rattling the rod and eventually he came out from under the bed and causally and I mean causally walked down the hall then dashed out the propped open front door. What a relief.

Believe me, this is the short version.

jmonroe
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,926
    sda said:

The light bulb on the micro-wave that shines down on the stove burned out again. I think it burns out 3-4 times a year. I tried one of the micro-wave LED bulbs but it doesn't dim. Perhaps the newer ones do? Anyhow it is a pain to replace. There is a very small phillips screw to secures the glass cover that is tedious to fasten without dropping it.

I had that problem. The original incandescent bulbs lasted forever but eventually failed after many years. I decided to replace them with LED ones from Amazon because those were much cheaper. Mine has a regular and a dimmed mode. The LEDs would work in either, but would flicker when in dimbulb mode. Undimmed, they were quite bright. I found some dimming film called Lightdims that I had bought for another application and that solved the problem once applied to the inside of the lens.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,103
    ab348 said:

Can we pivot this board to talking about appliances again? Geeez, guys... :/

X2

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited September 2023
    I replaced my Whirlpool microwave bulb with one I found on the internet by cross-indexing the
    plug type and size of the original incandescent
    . It works on both regular and dim.
    IIRC it has about the same brightness as the original.
    Maybe I was just lucky.

edited September 2023
    I found this article about Oldsmobile's place in development of features in US autos.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/20-ways-oldsmobile-revolutionized-the-car-industry-221159.html

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,884

I replaced my Whirlpool microwave bulb with one I found on the internet by cross-indexing the
    plug type and size of the original incandescent
    . It works on both regular and dim.
    IIRC it has about the same brightness as the original.
    Maybe I was just lucky.

Yes, it is a Whirlpool.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav