Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,226
    I had to replace a bulb in out GE at only 2.5 YO. Seemed very early.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,944
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

It seems that changing a fuse in a Maserati isn't rocket science...you don't need to be a brain surgeon:
    How do I replace a blown fuse in my Maserati Levante 2023?
    To fix a blown fuse, find the relevant fuse in the fuse box, remove the damaged fuse with a fuse remover or pair of needle-nose pliers, and replace it with a fresh fuse of the same rating.
    Big deal, even I can do that!

————————————————
    Really? Do you have either of those high tech tools?

jmonroe
    It isn't me who thinks he's a genius because he can change a fuse in a Maserati!
    And yes, we have basic household tools.
    ————————————————
    I never said I was a genius but compared to some I’m pretty close. :p

I’m sure you have a hammer, screwdriver, a pair of vise grips and for the tough jobs, a bigger hammer. BTW, which one did you use to fix your sticking door?

jmonroe
    I am using "The Guy". I followed your directions and I think that under normal circumstances that would work. But, we have a friend who is pretty knowledgable, and after looking at it he thinks the door is still sloped enough that it will catch in cold weather. He thinks the frame is off kilter for some reason.
    His plan is take off the bottom hinge, pack some material behind it so that it protrudes a bit, which will hopefully counterbalance the slope caused by the door frame not being straight.
    I think he is going to try it in a few days.
    I'll let you know what happens. (Actually, I mentioned doing that to MrsD100 earlier)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Skunk?

————————————————
    I had a skunk in the house once. It’s a looong story but it ended well. I tell just a little bit here:

Came home from helping a friend move into his first home one Saturday at about 8 PM. Had to put the kids to bed. As I’m coming out of the bathroom I hear ticking. I look down and there it is, a skunk walking into Son #1’s bedroom. His room was the only room in the house that still had the uncovered hardwood floor. He continues to go under his bed and camps in the corner. I had just put wallpaper in his room and the travis rod was still under his bed. When I reached for the travis rod to coakes him out the plastics piece’s rattled and he started to move. I kept rattling the rod and eventually he came out from under the bed and causally and I mean causally walked down the hall then dashed out the propped open front door. What a relief.

Believe me, this is the short version.

jmonroe

You and your experiences are reminiscent of a real life Forrest Gump 😉.

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I’m an emergency you don’t actually need a supercharger or charge America station. In an emergency, Just an electric outlet. And last I checked even Vermont (usually) has electricity.

Here's a breakdown of the charging methods and approximately how long each take to fully charge a Tesla from a low battery: Level 1 AC (120V outlet at home): 20-40 hours. AC Level 2 (Third party chargers/Tesla chargers/Tesla home charger): 8-12 hours.
    missing the point. you don't need a full charge. same as running out of gas on the highway. The truck does not bring enough to fill your tank, just enough to get you to a station. So in a Tesla, if you died 10 miles from a charger, you only need about 20 miles of electrons to get there (with a cushion)

there are also apps (or were in the early days) that list personal chargers you can use. Not 100% sure how it worked (if it was the community helping each other out in the early days, or a way to make money renting your charger). But even if you are not near a formal charging station, very likely you are near a charger better than plugging into a 120 outlet!
    If a full charge using an electrical outlet takes 20 to 40 hours a 10% charge will take about 2 hours minimum, if it works out evenly.
    How do you locate this mythical electric outlet?
    Well, my friend went up to somebodies house at midnight....and got an extension cord. Some people have been shot trying that.
    At least with gas you can have AAA come with a can of gasoline.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,232
    driver100 said:

Guess what?

In certain areas of the country, AAA will come out and charge your battery, too.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/12/05/aaa-expanding-service-now-offers-mobile-ev-charging-electrifying-aaa-member-benefits/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Change always takes some time. Just Because there are some hurdles doesn’t mean you abandon the whole effort. Not like gas station network was perfected day 1!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352
    carnaught said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Skunk?

————————————————
    I had a skunk in the house once. It’s a looong story but it ended well. I tell just a little bit here:

Came home from helping a friend move into his first home one Saturday at about 8 PM. Had to put the kids to bed. As I’m coming out of the bathroom I hear ticking. I look down and there it is, a skunk walking into Son #1’s bedroom. His room was the only room in the house that still had the uncovered hardwood floor. He continues to go under his bed and camps in the corner. I had just put wallpaper in his room and the travis rod was still under his bed. When I reached for the travis rod to coakes him out the plastics piece’s rattled and he started to move. I kept rattling the rod and eventually he came out from under the bed and causally and I mean causally walked down the hall then dashed out the propped open front door. What a relief.

Believe me, this is the short version.

jmonroe

You and your experiences are reminiscent of a real life Forrest Gump 😉.

————————————————
    I have a nicer hairdo, but yeah, you’re probably right. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Michaell said:

driver100 said:

Guess what?

In certain areas of the country, AAA will come out and charge your battery, too.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/12/05/aaa-expanding-service-now-offers-mobile-ev-charging-electrifying-aaa-member-benefits/
    ————————————————
    The world has now been saved. I no longer have a reason not to get an EV. Who knew?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Michaell said:

driver100 said:

Guess what?

Well, it's a start....especially if you happen to be near one of those 14 cities.

They don't give you much juice to reach a charging station though...10 miles worth;
    Charging Duration
    AAA provides 10 to 15 minutes of charge time to members with discharged electric vehicles, which will allow the vehicle to go up to 10 miles (depending on the vehicle) to an electric vehicle charging station. AAA has long been able to serve drivers who've run out of gas.

A bit funny that 2 of the 3 methods for charging use gas or diesel engines.

The one method uses natural-gas powered generators, which can be mounted on a Ford F-150 pickup with a utility body. Another option is a simple generator driven by the engine of a gas or diesel-powered ¾- or 1-ton pickup. This is the simplest, and so far most reliable system.
    Also, I wonder if they can do any make of car, there is no uniformity.

Only difference is the plug, and there are really only 2 types unless you have a fairly old design.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,101
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yeah, hard pass on that antique.

————————————————-
    Even if I wanted the car I’d want this explained:

FREE 10 Year-Unlimited Mileage Exclusionary Service Contract.

Yes and no in the same sentence. :o

jmonroe
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,166
    Exclusionary service contract excludes the battery pack. Hmm
    Not sure how many of you were F1 fans in the 70's, but the Stig took this out for a drive recently:

How many wheels?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I am not a big F1 guy but I even knew what that was before I clicked on the link.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,247
    In addition to the P34, Panther Westwinds built the Panther 6:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I vaguely remember seeing that, in a magazine, back in the day.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

————————————————
    When I first saw it I thought it was one of those car/boat thingies.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,453
    stickguy said:

I’m an emergency you don’t actually need a supercharger or charge America station. In an emergency, Just an electric outlet. And last I checked even Vermont (usually) has electricity.

Who would want to take 60 hours out of their trip though. That’s what it takes to charge a Kona EV on a regular outlet.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

Skunk?

Looks like it. Put some insecticide down to kill the grubs and the skunks will dig elsewhere.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

Skunk?

Looks like it. Put some insecticide down to kill the grubs and the skunks will dig elsewhere.
    ————————————————
    @venture better hope the PA animal rights groups don’t haul him in for trying to starve out skunks.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Skunk?

————————————————
    @venture better hope the PA animal rights groups don’t haul him in for trying to starve out skunks.

jmonroe
    Only you....would worry about the skunks :#

edited September 2023
    Michaell said:

The car that started it all was FAB 1- Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce from Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

hope the AC works in that one.

stickguy said:

hope the AC works in that one.

————————————————
    What AC?

jmonroe
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,832

venture said:

Skunk?

I did. I spread granules and was waiting for rain to dissolve it. It rained. Now to see if they go away.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Skunk?

————————————————

jmonroe
    LOL more likely the environmentalists for daring to use pesticides. Personally, I’d use milky spore disease to kill the grubs which is a natural biological.

Unfortunately there’s no environmentally safe way to deal with the animal rights pests.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Appliances….ooo…….are we back to appliances.

Just realized, my GE microwave has never had it’s light bulb replaced in the 22 years I’ve used it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I’ve gotta pick out all new ones (actually already did preliminary) to build the new kitchen around. Settled on upper trim Frigidaire (professional series? Something that sounds snooty). Subject to change of course but you can blow a lot of coin at the appliance store!

We kept our existing Amana refrigerator and Bosch dishwasher and went with a Bosch cooktop, Miele double oven and a GE Profile microwave over the cooktop.

Appliances….ooo…….are we back to appliances.

Just realized, my GE microwave has never had it’s light bulb replaced in the 22 years I’ve used it.

————————————————
    It will now, bragger. I thought you knew better than to brag about appliances and car’s longevity. :'(

jmonroe
    GG never actually said the bulb still worked. :D

GG never actually said the bulb still worked. :D

————————————————
    You’re right. I never thought he’d be that sneaky. :#

jmonroe
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,714
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

The guy had no reason to make up the story.....in fact I am sure he would rather not have told us about it.
    Do you know how many pages are in today's car manuals, and 90% of the stuff you already know or will never need to know. Do you really read it from cover to cover? You'll never remember it anyway.
    MrsD100 happened to read a part in her manual that said, don't leave your GLK for more than 6 weeks without keeping it charged up...it could be very expensive if you lose all power and you have to reset everything.
    If she hadn't read that out loud to me...and she was just flipping through, I wouldn't have known.
    My friend with the Maserati went on holiday for 3 weeks and when he got back it lost all its settings....the dealer got them back but if he had paid it would have cost $1000s. The dealer told him you have to keep it charged if you leave it for over 2 weeks!
    My friend with the Tesla assumed that zero charge wouldn't be a problem. It's like a computer, if you aren't an expert there are a lot of things you can't possibly know about if your an average person.
    Even if you read the manual from cover to cover...and I bet very few do, you wouldn't remember something by the time it came time to use it.

Most manuals are at least 50% hold harmless legalizee to protect the manufacturer from owner caused damage. Similar to all the stupid stickers on ladders and power tools. They are woefully short on practical information. The print is so tiny it’s hard to read. If you want to read it on line you have to set up accounts and register. Screw that.

I couldn’t even find how to do presets on the radio. I had to call the dealer.
    True, and how many people are going to go through a 300 page manual. They provide a manual so you can look up something if you have to. And then you can do it easier if you watch youtube, there it is actually being done. The manual has a lot of filler, how to oil your hinges, what kind of soap to use for washing the seats....who is going to waste their life reading all that.
    The only thing I needed to read was the table of contents or index to take me to the page on "Launch Control." There's a few lines on it, with a page full of warnings. Something about not annoying other drivers with your rapid acceleration. That must have appeased somebody that works at Audi.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited September 2023
    The way things are going in here, we might as well pivot to discussing under posted speed limits and left lane campers again. :persevere::wink:

Do you have to get over when someone is merging?

The right of way to that road belongs to you -- and to you only. Anyone wanting to merge into your lane would have to yield to you. You have no obligation to slow traffic down to allow other traffic to come in, unless it's an active emergency vehicle of course.Nov 19, 2020

Defining "passing" in a driving context:

Overtaking or passing is the act of one vehicle going past another slower moving vehicle, travelling in the same direction, on the same roadway.

A lot of left lane campers forget the same direction and same roadway parts, and say idiotic things like they were passing traffic not yet merged on an adjacent roadway (and of course, in order to merge you must go a different direction; not parallel). I remember from math/Geometry that parallel lines never intersect or merge.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Fun Fact of the Day:

Is 1 HP equal to a horse?
    Horsepower - Energy Education
    Although it may seem safe to assume that one horsepower is the output a horse is capable of creating at any one time, that is incorrect. In fact, the maximum output of a horse can be up to 15 horsepower, and the maximum output of a human is a bit more than a single horsepower.

Now I have to wonder how they came up with the name.
    andres3 said:

Fun Fact of the Day:

Is 1 HP equal to a horse?
    Horsepower - Energy Education
    Although it may seem safe to assume that one horsepower is the output a horse is capable of creating at any one time, that is incorrect. In fact, the maximum output of a horse can be up to 15 horsepower, and the maximum output of a human is a bit more than a single horsepower.

Now I have to wonder how they came up with the name.

————————————————
    The horse union wasn’t on strike when they wanted to determine the power of engines otherwise the Big 3 would have taken an assembly line stiff off the line and put them on a dynamometer.

jmonroe
    edited September 2023
    So andres3 is another one who reads something on the internet and it must be TRUE.
    Hint: Handle starts with 'D'.
    Horsepower is a specific measurement.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,733

torque x RPM / 5252 = HP

I do not remember exactly why it is 5252.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,166
    tjc78 said:

torque x RPM / 5252 = HP

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1115177_why-do-horsepower-and-torque-cross-at-5252-rpm
    edited September 2023
    mjfloyd1 said:

tjc78 said:

torque x RPM / 5252 = HP

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1115177_why-do-horsepower-and-torque-cross-at-5252-rpm
    ————————————————
    Kill-joy. You should have left him transpose some basic formulas to find that answer. That way he’ll be less likely to forget the why’s of some numbers. I remember some lab classes when I’d spit out some quicky formula constant and the prof would say, “prove it”. I didn’t like those guys. They made us (me and a couple lab partners) spend almost an entire lab class doing an experiment that if they listened to me in the beginning, we could have been done in 20 minutes.

A few times I remember saying, “if we were out in the field we’d never be doing that”. Their pat answer was always, “you’re not out in the field now, you’re in my lab now and I want you to prove your work”. :#:#

jmonroe
    andres3 said:

The way things are going in here, we might as well pivot to discussing under posted speed limits and left lane campers again. :persevere::wink:

The right of way to that road belongs to you -- and to you only. Anyone wanting to merge into your lane would have to yield to you. You have no obligation to slow traffic down to allow other traffic to come in, unless it's an active emergency vehicle of course.Nov 19, 2020

Overtaking or passing is the act of one vehicle going past another slower moving vehicle, travelling in the same direction, on the same roadway.

A lot of left lane campers forget the same direction and same roadway parts, and say idiotic things like they were passing traffic not yet merged on an adjacent roadway (and of course, in order to merge you must go a different direction; not parallel). I remember from math/Geometry that parallel lines never intersect or merge.

All true but I learned very early that having claimed your right of way is no conciliation for having a smashed car.

Also, these days the average driver has no idea of the rules of the road or common sense either.

Or common courtesy. Or avoiding creating or contribution to unsafe situations.

andres3 said:

All true but I learned very early that having claimed your right of way is no conciliation for having a smashed car.

Also, these days the average driver has no idea of the rules of the road or common sense either.
    ————————————————
    And as my Father used to say, “you can be right…dead right”. I also learned early on horns don’t stop cars.

jmonroe
    stickguy said:

Or common courtesy. Or avoiding creating or contribution to unsafe situations.

The problem is that since most drivers don't know the rules of the road, their idea of courtesy is often reckless and negligent driving contributing to unsafe situations.
    jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

————————————————
    And as my Father used to say, “you can be right…dead right”. I also learned early on horns don’t stop cars.

jmonroe
    Now that's true.

I've developed the following formulas and constants.
    1. Collisions = BAD (some are deadly)
    2. More Collisions = More BAD = More Deadly

So andres3 is another one who reads something on the internet and it must be TRUE.

Well, it is true, depending on the context. HP appears to be an arbitrary measurement, not a clean metric.

A single horsepower might be what a typical horse will put out in a day on average, but they have a peak instantaneous horsepower of about 15. It's sort of like audio equipment, they like to advertise peak instantaneous maximum watts rather than continuous power output.

andres3 said:

Well, it is true, depending on the context. HP appears to be an arbitrary measurement, not a clean metric.

A single horsepower might be what a typical horse will put out in a day on average, but they have a peak instantaneous horsepower of about 15. It's sort of like audio equipment, they like to advertise peak instantaneous maximum watts rather than continuous power output.

————————————————
    I agree and I remember many many years ago stereo manufactures in addition to talking about watts per channel they harped on THD. Eventually it got to the point those numbers were so far to the right of the decimal only lab instruments could detect it. No human ear could hear it. I had pretty good ears back then and I know I couldn’t.

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    I agree and I remember many many years ago stereo manufactures in addition to talking about watts per channel they harped on THD. Eventually it got to the point those numbers were so far to the right of the decimal only lab instruments could detect it. No human ear could hear it. I had pretty good ears back then and I know I couldn’t.

jmonroe

IIRC, double-blind tests revealed that most people cannot detect a THD level of 1% or less.