Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557

It’s early in the adoption process. All that evolves. And 30% means 70% of people will not change a thing.

That last question though I saw something recently that some big gas station chain will be putting in something like 3,000 chargers soon at their gas stations.

Those people all get gas someplace already. So really, the answer is for anyone that does not have home charging, and wants to have an EV, they would go to a fuel station and fill up when they need it (just like current EV owners do when away from home)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    90% of vehicle charging is done during non-peak hours. The capacity is already there for that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

@tjc78
    So kind of like this;

If that is it, then it looks great. My friends are mostly 60+ and though they know the future is electric, about 75% of them aren't ready to switch over yet. I'd say mileage anxiety and learning something new are the biggest problems. But, if you know it will suit your driving needs then it is an amazing vehicle.......and looks beautiful.

Don't forget to add it to your signature, and which one is coming off?

While electric is the future the future isn't here yet. There are a lot of issues that have to be addressed as of the present.
    "Electric is the future" ... Make a thought experiment - replace 30 percent of ICE vehicles with EVs. Here are the questions:
    1. What is net percentage increase of electrical energy demand generated by these vehicles?
    2. How does it compare with current average household allocations?
    3. How is this energy going to be generated?
    4. How is it going to be distributed?
    5. How long does it take to permit, design and build a new power plant?
    6. How much does it cost?
    7. What is a result of insufficient power supply in the meantime.
    8. Is current wire gauge sufficient to distribute this power to all households in new need?
    9. Are all transformer stations sufficient?
    10. If not, how long would it take to upgrade them and how much would it cost?
    11. Where is the lithium going to be extracted and processed.
    12. What is the plan for disposal of these vehicles of the future after their useful life?

Seems to me that manufacturing and selling new EVs is probably the easiest challenge with electrification in the transportation.
    ————————————————
    Geeze, that sounds kinda gloomy. Do you also have an axe to grind with folks that have extension cords? Like hire your electrician brother to install more receptacles in their homes.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    kyfdx said:

90% of vehicle charging is done during non-peak hours. The capacity is already there for that.

Like, go out to the garage at 11.p.m. and plug your car in to your super charger, and wake up at 6 p.m. to unplug it! :/

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

Like, go out to the garage at 11.p.m. and plug your car in to your super charger, and wake up at 6 p.m. to unplug it! :/
    If you don't know how charging a battery works, then please don't get an EV.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited October 2023
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

That's an extremely low bar to set...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@driver100 said:

Hmm. A super charger in your garage? DC charging in your garage? 🙄

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

same amount of work to get to it. If the reason is to not do it as often, I probably won't put more than 4k miles per year on the car, so I probably only have 1 more change in the future! only 22k on the car now, in 3.5 years, and I am curious what it is going to look like.

————————————————
    If I had to guess, at 22K miles, it won’t look too bad unless you’ve driven down dusty roads for around half of those miles but you’re right at the recommended mileage change interval.

Coincidentally, I’m in the process of changing my home HVAC filter (6X16X25). So I ordered 4 of that size online. Turns out those are the nominal dimensions so the filters won’t fit. The actual size I need is about 1/2 inch less all the way around. I called the company about returning them and they already emailed me 2 free UPS shipping labels (they were shipped 2 per box). I didn’t expect the returns to be free so that was a pleasant surprise but still a pain. This is why I don’t buy online too much. Yet i know people who buy shoes on line. I’d never even think of doing that.

jmonroe
    How about people who buy cars that way?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

@driver100 said:

That’s assuming that your house has sufficient amperage. Older homes may incurred a sizeable capital expense.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

My wife and I buy quite a bit online- including shoes. I’d say at least 90% of my automotive purchases are made online.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited October 2023

@oldfarmer50 said:
    That’s assuming that your house has sufficient amperage. Older homes may incurred a sizeable capital expense.

You would need about 500 amps just for the super charger and Tesla does not sell superchargers to the public

https://www.effortlesselectric.com/can-i-install-a-tesla-supercharger-at-home/

I think he means level 2 chargers but most of those can be set with scheduled charging start and stop times.

• Options
    the whole point of the super high speed chargers is minimizing time spent at a public charger when you are travelling. for a home charger, the car would charge slower anyway for battery health since normally there is no time crunch. so taking 3 hours instead of 30 minutes, does not hatter.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

I read that people who own hybrids don't bother plugging them in every night....they'd rather just buy gas once a week.

• Options

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

That's an extremely low bar to set...
    Unfortunately, some people don't know everything like some people think they do :s

• Options
    you seem to think that EV drivers have to charge every day at least once. if you drive a normal amount of miles, might only need it once a week. Heck, plenty of weeks I don't drive either car 100 miles and mostly local, which is good for EVs, so I might not have to plug in more than every other week. Kinda like getting gas!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    stickguy said:

you seem to think that EV drivers have to charge every day at least once. if you drive a normal amount of miles, might only need it once a week. Heck, plenty of weeks I don't drive either car 100 miles and mostly local, which is good for EVs, so I might not have to plug in more than every other week. Kinda like getting gas!

True. When we had the ID.4 on order, the use case would have been to charge the car once a week. 22 miles round trip from the home to the cooking studio, so 110 miles (plus, say, 10-15% for incidental driving) would have been, at most, 130 miles a week. The ID.4 had over 200 miles of range.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    edited October 2023

Based on the range of the EQE 260-300 miles a charge, we will only charge 2 times a month. No different than getting gas. There is a supercharger only a couple miles away (in a busy shopping area) and it is free for two years. It has me on the fence of even installing the $600 home charger right away.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Sounds good......unless you have to go on a 350 mile trip.
    I have limited knowledge but my Tesla friend said you should only charge the car to 80%. That brings 250 miles down to 200. Also, it shouldn't go below 5%, that knocks off another 12 miles, now we are below 200 miles. And are you going to wait until you are almost empty, so you should maybe leave 20 miles to get to a charging station and hope there is a charger available and that is working. And you might use more electricity if you are caught in traffic jam, or need a/c, radio, wipers, heat, plug in cooler :D etc.

Charge once on the way, charge when you arrive, charge on the way home, charge up when you get home.
    But what do I know? Oh, and people say charging isn't a problem, just get something to eat while the car is charging. I'll gain 50 pounds and I'll spend more on food than I would on gas. :D

Once again, good if it suits your needs. Hybrids go about 20 to 55 miles. A guy goes to work 25 miles from home, round trip 25 X 2 = 50 miles....he'll need a charge every night to get to work and back. When those people were surveyed they said they don't plug her in every night, they would rather buy gas once a week.
    Just trying to find answers. You don't learn unless you ask.

• Options

I go on a 350 trip maybe once a year now. But likely not.

250 I think to our shore vacation is max.

But like Tom I have a truck to take when doing that so an EV intended for local (IOW non road trip) use won’t have that issue. But if you have a Tesla, or other car using that high speed network, you are likely talking about a 20-30 minute stop each way at a supercharger right off the highway. Longer than a gas stop? Yes. But not some earth shattering problem.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948

As long as a charger is available and working, which I hear is a rather common issue.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

Some areas better than others. And that’s really only an issue if you aren’t using the Tesla network. The non-Tesla networks need to be managed better.

• Options
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

I read that people who own hybrids don't bother plugging them in every night....they'd rather just buy gas once a week.
    LOL, I think that’s the case with my company’s hybrids. They usually go into service with zero charge, gas only.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited October 2023
    stickguy said:

I would assume that if someone buys an EV that they are also going to either take advantage of incentives to have a charger installed in their garage/driveway or eat the cost themselves as part of the purchase price of the vehicle. In either case, why would you NOT plug it in as a matter of course when you get home to charge overnight? Just like my iPhone, when I'm not using it the thing can be found on the charging pad.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited October 2023
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

I would assume that if someone buys an EV that they are also going to either take advantage of incentives to have a charger installed in their garage/driveway or eat the cost themselves as part of the purchase price of the vehicle. In either case, why would you NOT plug it in as a matter of course when you get home to charge overnight? Just like my iPhone, when I'm not using it the thing can be found on the charging pad.
    You have to ask the owners. They did a survey and a large percentage did not want to be bothered plugging in their car every night. I thought about it. I come home from tennis, I have my tennis equipment in one hand, I have a few bags of groceries in my other hand.....I put my water bottle in the recycle bin, put a new bottle of water in my tennis bag....now do I want to run around and plug in my car.....and hope that I am not in a big rush the next morning and have time to unplug it.....if I even remember to do it?

• Options
    stickguy said:

I go on a 350 trip maybe once a year now. But likely not.

250 I think to our shore vacation is max.

But like Tom I have a truck to take when doing that so an EV intended for local (IOW non road trip) use won’t have that issue. But if you have a Tesla, or other car using that high speed network, you are likely talking about a 20-30 minute stop each way at a supercharger right off the highway. Longer than a gas stop? Yes. But not some earth shattering problem.

Under ideal conditions....that is fine. I told this story before but.......
    I had a flat tire and I couldn't get a new tire put on until later the next day.
    We had a family emergency to get to that was 200 miles away.
    Fortunately MrsD100s car was ready to go. We made it with no range anxiety.
    If she had an EV we'd probably have to stop and charge up on the way....it would be close. That could cost us a lot of time, which we did not have.
    Sure, under ideal conditions and if it suits you an EV is fine, but I'll have a better chance in these cases if I have a gasser.

• Options

Those 15 seconds to unplug the cord and hang it up, definitely going to make you miss your pickle all game. Though you make it back because an EV does not have to warm up like a gas engine!

And I think the reason to not always plug in is battery health. Better to drain to that 20% or so and charge it back up than to always have it on a charger.

• Options

Actually if you charge at home, another huge advantage is not having to gas up in winter. Nothing is worse than having to stop when it is 10 degrees out and stand outside holding the hose handle. Double so in the windy rain. Not something I cared about in NJ but since NY is pump your own, I care!

• Options

@driver100 said:
    You have to ask the owners. They did a survey and a large percentage did not want to be bothered plugging in their car every night. I thought about it. I come home from tennis, I have my tennis equipment in one hand, I have a few bags of groceries in my other hand.....I put my water bottle in the recycle bin, put a new bottle of water in my tennis bag....now do I want to run around and plug in my car.....and hope that I am not in a big rush the next morning and have time to unplug it.....if I even remember to do it?

It takes all of about 15 additional seconds to plug in/unplug an EV or PHEV- but there are always those individuals who find the entire process to be too arduous to even attempt.

• Options

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    mjfloyd1 said:

@driver100 said:

House chargers are not superchargers. Those do it in less than hour, not overnight. Nevertheless they still draw a decent amount of energy.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

When I was at the electron pump the other night… I struck up a conversation with a gentleman who had a fully loaded EQS sedan and had just bought his wife an EQE 450 SUV (both cars 100K+).

They have driven the EQS all over including 1000+ road trips. Never an issue.

Considering Mercedes is giving 2 years of free charging and this is a car that will barely see 100 miles a week average I’m going to roll without a Level 2 charger in the garage for now.

If it was a commuter car that saw 50+ miles a day I’d probably go for it immediately. Quite frankly if you are that lazy you can’t plug a cord in once a night … wow

Like Stick said it’s easier than pumping gas.

I’m not saying that electric is for everyone, but in my family’s case where we both work from home and just want a nice vehicle for a night out or to run the kids to sports, CCD etc it fits the bill. On top of it the price I leased it for was cheaper than cars with 20K+ lower MSRP.

• Options

I’d consider one to replace the RDX if we needed to. Just in case in the new house I plan to have a 220 plug (or 221, whatever it takes) outlet installed in the garage. If I don’t get an EV can always get a welder!

The annual shore vacation I take the truck anyway, and can use that if we need a longer road trip, so the 2nd car is almost entirely around town use. And not much of it. If anything an EV is a better choice since I don’t have to worry about not using the gas engine often enough!

• Options
    dino001 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@driver100 said:

House chargers are not superchargers. Those do it in less than hour, not overnight. Nevertheless they still draw a decent amount of energy.

I don't know the official names, and I was passing on what I was told by my Tesla friend. At first he used an extension cord, but said it took about 3 days to charge....he said he was exaggerating but about 24 hours IIRC. So then he spent another $2000 to get a Stage 2 charger I guess is the official name.

I just know what I know, my life is too busy to with pickleball and tennis to learn the terms....life is short.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Actually if you charge at home, another huge advantage is not having to gas up in winter. Nothing is worse than having to stop when it is 10 degrees out and stand outside holding the hose handle. Double so in the windy rain. Not something I cared about in NJ but since NY is pump your own, I care!

That's why I go to Florida! :D

• Options
    FYI I don't know how much work it is to unplug or plug the car in.....I said most people who did a survey didn't want to be bothered plugging in their car every night, they would rather buy gas once a week. Those are REAL users who actually OWN a hybrid!

• Options
    edited October 2023
    kyfdx said:

It's off peak now. Multiply that demand times about 100 or perhaps 1000 (since politicians seem to think we all should get one in next 10 years), it's no longer off-peak - it's very peak, especially somewhere in the middle of the summer in the South with AC running whole night in every house already. Oh, by the way, the same politicians seem to think that solar power and wind is way to go to supply energy to the houses.

The problem with EVs is not upper and upper-middle class people buying electric cars to signal their virtue to their neighbors and coworkers, enjoy incredible acceleration of their vehicle, save on gas by paying surcharge upfront, or because they like new technologies (or whatever their motivation is, they can certainly afford it). I'm talking EVs reaching price point when they are now parked in every other garage and parking stall in middle-class neighborhoods that were built 30-50 years ago with energy usage in mind that didn't even include bunch of electronics in the house, let alone charging 50-100 kWh say every other night. If somebody charges once a week, they clearly didn't buy EV to save on gas. I'm talking people who have 20-50 mile commutes one-way, i.e. need to charge every two-three days - typical case for suburban middle class in sprawling cities of the South or West.

The numbers simply don't add up for wide adoption of EVs at pace that politicians are pushing. Same politicians that also want to close coal or oil power plants, can't stand the thought of nuclear energy, even natural gas energy is somehow against their grain. Same politicians that don't even understand where lithium and rare Earth metals are coming from (I mean who produces and processes them and how that actually physically looks, and are OK with it as long as it's not happening in their voting districts), same politicians who think that couple of billions would "fix" the infrastructure and magically make it ready to switch, so they can ban ICE vehicles in 2035 based on nothing but waving hands when faced with actual data.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

@dino001 said:

Agreed. Apparently some posters think you can have a DC supercharger in your garage when the best that you can get is a Level 2 charger. Notice the 🙄emoji

• Options

• Options
    edited October 2023
    BTW, I love the idea of EV, I like how some of them look and perform and would like to get one when all these problems are addressed. I just can't stand politicians pushing mandates based on nothing but their ideological zeal, including bullying car manufacturers to oversupply product that's not ready for mass adoption. When I see a pretty face that lectures us about saving planet, but can't tell the difference between million and billion (or trillion), or thinks that Amazon not opening their headquarters is somehow saving the city billions of tax dollars that can be then used for schools - that's where I check out.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dino001 said:

kyfdx said:

It's off peak now. Multiply that demand times about 100 or perhaps 1000 (since politicians seem to think we all should get one in next 10 years), it's no longer off-peak - it's very peak, especially somewhere in the middle of the summer in the South with AC running whole night in every house already. Oh, by the way, the same politicians seem to think that solar power and wind is way to go to supply energy to the houses.
    Great post, it should be read by every politician.
    In Canada we have a new carbon tax that is supposed to lessen the impact of fossil fuels. It isn't working, in fact it has a lot of detrimental affects, it just seems to be a way to collect more tax money but make people think it will help save the planet.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Yeah, high price of Tesla repairs is definitely a secret nobody wants you to know. They don't break down a lot, but when they do the costs of out of warranty repairs can be catastrophic. ICE vehicles have a lot of moving parts, hoses and other things that break, but there is infrastructure to repair it economically. EVs seem to be "black boxes" that basically work well until they don't and when they don't you're stuck with a bill that's out of this world, sometimes because they just use "Apple" method, i.e. "we don't fix, we replace the whole thing". That's probably not EV issue, it's more greedy tech corporations issue than anything else. Same nonsense is creeping into rest of the market, like inability to fix a Deere tractor outside of dealership, even if it's a simple gasket replacement, or push toward subscription of the features that are already installed (i.e. you may own the vehicle and its seat warmer, but BMW owns the code that turns it on and off - or so they tried and fortunately failed).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

Keep in mind that ICE has had a century for the infrastructure to mature. Mainstream EV is what, a decade, and it is still a niche market really. Progress takes time, but that doesn’t mean you should never strive for it.

Early days of ICE there weren’t many gas stations. Or people to fix them. Or readily available spare parts. That all developed to fill a need and make $.

Battery tech is also developing. Once a couple of breakthroughs there happen (out of the many interesting concepts being worked on) a big hurdle will be overcome.

I agree that there are practical limitations still on full EV usage (and think a PHEV Stepping stone would have been smarter) but functionally, EVs are much better suited as personal cars than gas engines.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    All correct. The difference is there were no politicians back then powerful enough to outlaw horse and buggy due to manure problem (to name one) at some arbitrary date. The proliferation and replacement was a result of assembly line technology lowering the price of the vehicles, portability of the energy provided by the oil derivatives and certain inventions like starter motor that made a motor vehicle easy to own and operate.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited October 2023
    This was a new one for me. A truck from a place called Bin & Bath pulled up the neighbors and cleaned their trash bins.
    Edit. Wife told me there is more than 1 company that comes around to clean bins.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

I would never pay for that. I own a hose and way too many cleaning products thanks to my wife.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    I just get out the hose and some Simple Green.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@explorerx4 said:
    This was a new one for me. A truck from a place called Bin & Bath pulled up the neighbors and cleaned their trash bins.
    Edit. Wife told me there is more than 1 company that comes around to clean bins.

Yeah apparently it is a growing thing now.

Down the shore there are also companies that will take you trash out on the scheduled day and bring the cans back the next. Great for those who only come on the weekends.

I’d wager you could pay someone to plug your EV in at night too. 😎😎

• Options
    dino001 said:

All correct. The difference is there were no politicians back then powerful enough to outlaw horse and buggy due to manure problem (to name one) at some arbitrary date. The proliferation and replacement was a result of assembly line technology lowering the price of the vehicles, portability of the energy provided by the oil derivatives and certain inventions like starter motor that made a motor vehicle easy to own and operate.

I agree; I like EVs- what I object to is manipulation of the market.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    tjc78 said:

Based on the range of the EQE 260-300 miles a charge, we will only charge 2 times a month. No different than getting gas. There is a supercharger only a couple miles away (in a busy shopping area) and it is free for two years. It has me on the fence of even installing the $600 home charger right away.

————————————————
    For convenience alone I’d still install it. As I’ve gotten older I like convenience more and more.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    driver100 said:

FYI I don't know how much work it is to unplug or plug the car in.....I said most people who did a survey didn't want to be bothered plugging in their car every night, they would rather buy gas once a week. Those are REAL users who actually OWN a hybrid!

That would be me; and I plug my PHEV in every night. As I mentioned above, it takes about all of 15 seconds- but then I don't need to hire a guy to do it for me.