Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,201

I was in there a few times. Seemed like a nice building and it is not all that old. I never did feel like I “belonged” there, even though I could easily afford the model (a B class CUV, something like that) I was looking at.

I wonder if the ever finished the new Land Rover building? Last I saw the little place on the corner was still shut down (or VW service while they remodeled over by the Porsche dealer)

I’ve been gone too long now, I’m probably way out of date!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,940
    @tjc78
    Sorry to hear about your mishap but I think what happened was......this was a very unusual servicing problem. The original dealer wasn't that clear in sending the information, the dealer isn't at 100% operating efficiency, the service person who took the order recorded the appointment but didn't do any background checking.
    If I was going to have that work done I believe in trying to figure out what can go wrong, and I think miscommunication would be the big one. I would have phoned a day or two earlier to make sure all the bases were covered.....too much could go wrong.
    2 hours might not be too long considering codes probably have to be reset etc.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

That MB mishap reminds me of what happened to one of my tennis guys. He still does some work as a lawyer. He had to file some important papers with a government office in San Diego.
    He sent the letter with the post office, special delivery so he would have a signature as proof of delivery.
    The Post Office in their wisdom tried to deliver the letter at 6:38 a.m., and of course no government office is going to be open at that time.

They took the letter back to the main post office, and the only way they can receive it is to drive 10 miles and sign for it. No government employee is going to drive to a post office to pick it up.

Now this fellow is trying to get through to the post office to see if they can deliver it when the offices are open.

It would have got there faster if he sent it via regular mail.

And that is the way things are these days.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,727

I didn’t even pay attention when I drove past those dealers!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,443
    tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

The palace on 70 is being remodeled already?

Yep. Entire showroom is gutted.

They must be stressed because they weren’t very nice people.

I joked with my wife and said my shorts and hoodie must have upset them!

@jmonroe1

I like paragraphs!

You should have worn your good watch, that’s how they tell the rich swells from the riffraff.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,239
    My local Mercedes dealer is remodeling its showroom but so far I have not have any problems. It's in the same dealer group as my selling dealer so that probably helps.
    I know that when I worked at BMW my dealer would not have tolerated an SA who acted like that,

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    My local Mercedes dealer is remodeling its showroom but so far I have not have any problems. It's in the same dealer group as my selling dealer so that probably helps.
    I know that when I worked at BMW my dealer would not have tolerated an SA who acted like that,

I was stunned. I’ve received better treatment at the Hyundai dealer!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,903
    Back on the appliance beat: the discussion mentioning drop-in ranges reminded me that in my recent research I didn’t recall ever seeing those offered anywhere. The last time I researched ranges 20 years ago I did remember seeing that as a choice, though I wasn’t sure what they actually were. I checked, and learned that a drop-in typically gets put into a very low cabinet, really just a drawer unit maybe a foot high or less. They are an oven and a cooktop with no storage drawer below, so a pretty obscure category and likely very little demand. The only one I could find at present is a pair of GE offerings because apparently nobody else makes them these days. You could do a reasonable facsimile by installing a wall oven at roughly base cabinet height and then putting a cooktop above, but I’m not sure why anyone would want to.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@ab348
    A drop-in looks a little bit more like it is built into the counter...not a separate appliance. A slide-in looks more built in than a regular range.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,976
    My local MB dealer is friendly enough and seems to be fine in terms of competency, but they are quite small compared to suburban Seattle dealers. No loaners that I know of, no free food (only coffee etc). I think the facility was built before population boomed a little here, and they are at capacity, good luck getting an appointment 2-3 weeks in advance.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,278
    driver100 said:

In other news....almost 4000 car dealers are complaining that EVs aren't selling and they have money tied up in vehicles that are sitting on their lots.

A collective of 3,882 dealers from across 50 states notes that production has outpaced demand and has resulted in lots full of unsold EVs. Despite an increase of EV sales in 2023 (expected to be around 9% of all new passenger vehicles in 2023, per Atlas Public Policy’s EV Hub), consumers haven’t been snapping them up in meaningful numbers.

There is a very good chance that I will be getting an EV very soon. Wait, is an ebike considered an EV?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

tjc78 said:

From what the Mercedes dealer told me, it is mostly the East Coast where sales are soft.

Good thing if you want one there are deals to be had especially on leases when they pass the $7500 tax credit on to you as a CCR

Be careful as not every car qualifies for the tax credit. We had a guy nearly have a stroke when we told him his brand new MB EV didn't qualify for the credit due to it being assembled in Germany.

BTW if you buy a used EV over 2 years old for under $25K you may qualify for up to $4K in tax credits.

driver100 said:

In other news....almost 4000 car dealers are complaining that EVs aren't selling and they have money tied up in vehicles that are sitting on their lots.

A collective of 3,882 dealers from across 50 states notes that production has outpaced demand and has resulted in lots full of unsold EVs. Despite an increase of EV sales in 2023 (expected to be around 9% of all new passenger vehicles in 2023, per Atlas Public Policy’s EV Hub), consumers haven’t been snapping them up in meaningful numbers.

There is a very good chance that I will be getting an EV very soon. Wait, is an ebike considered an EV?
    I would consider that a hybrid.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 237,885

tjc78 said:

From what the Mercedes dealer told me, it is mostly the East Coast where sales are soft.

Good thing if you want one there are deals to be had especially on leases when they pass the $7500 tax credit on to you as a CCR

Be careful as not every car qualifies for the tax credit. We had a guy nearly have a stroke when we told him his brand new MB EV didn't qualify for the credit due to it being assembled in Germany.

BTW if you buy a used EV over 2 years old for under $25K you may qualify for up to $4K in tax credits.
    It depends on whether you buy or lease. Most brands are passing along the $7500 as an incentive if you lease, regardless of where the car is built.

Ironically, one brand that isn’t is Ford. Neither the Lightning nor the Mach-E have the $7500 available.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Have you found one abandoned by the side of the road? :p

@Michaell said:
    It depends on whether you buy or lease. Most brands are passing along the $7500 as an incentive if you lease, regardless of where the car is built.

Ironically, one brand that isn’t is Ford. Neither the Lightning nor the Mach-E have the $7500 available.

Well it depends on the MSRP of the vehicle and where it was assembled. The Fords should be eligible, especially the low end ones. And to qualify for the credit it has to be assembled in the U.S. regardless of it being a lease or not.

This is under the new Inflation Reduction Act, yes they changed the rules on us.

@ab348 said:
    Have you found one abandoned by the side of the road? :p

Well the good thing about ebikes is if you run out of electrons you can still pedal your way home. I am getting to be an old crony and my knees and other things aren't as good as they used to be so pedal assist to get me going and helping up hill are appealing.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 232,895
    edited December 2023
    ab348 said:

Back on the appliance beat: the discussion mentioning drop-in ranges reminded me that in my recent research I didn’t recall ever seeing those offered anywhere. The last time I researched ranges 20 years ago I did remember seeing that as a choice, though I wasn’t sure what they actually were. I checked, and learned that a drop-in typically gets put into a very low cabinet, really just a drawer unit maybe a foot high or less. They are an oven and a cooktop with no storage drawer below, so a pretty obscure category and likely very little demand. The only one I could find at present is a pair of GE offerings because apparently nobody else makes them these days. You could do a reasonable facsimile by installing a wall oven at roughly base cabinet height and then putting a cooktop above, but I’m not sure why anyone would want to.

We bought a house in '92, that had been a "home show" house in '81. It was about the cheapest house in a very nice neighborhood. Mainly, because of contemporary architecture, tri-level, no basement, etc. Plus, a terrible looking solar collector on the roof.

But, because of being in the home show, it had some extras. Including a Jenn-Air drop in range, with the grill attachment.

When we did a slight re-model of the kitchen in '95, you couldn't find one. Plus, we never used the grill. We replaced it with a slide-in range. (had to cut the cabinet out, below)

Now, the best part: A slide-in range isn't the same as a free standing range. Like a drop-in, it doesn't have the controls on a raised panel at the back of the range. The controls are on the surface, like a current cooktop.

So, three styles: drop-in, slide-in, free-standing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,089
    The Tax credit rules are going to change at the start of 2024.
    Right now under the current rules, a Mach E can only get up to a $3750 federal credit.
    I think this is based on the number of electric vehicles sold by the manufacturer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited December 2023
    kyfdx said:

Now, the best part: A slide-in range isn't the same as a free standing range. Like a drop-in, it doesn't have the controls on a raised panel at the back of the range. The controls are on the surface, like a current cooktop.

Really, though, just two with one obscure drop-in style still being made. I wonder how long GE will keep offering them since I can't imagine they sell very many. On the controls question, that's why I like both my current and previous slide-ins. Both of them have controls mounted more or less vertically on the front above the oven door like a gas range would. A great many have the controls horizontally on the top front roughly level with or slightly above the level of the cooktop, which I do not like. Seems they might get in the way when moving pots and pans on or off the cooktop.

One thing I did not realize with a slide-in when I got my original one many years ago: my counter is still typical post-formed laminate over particleboard with an integral 4" backsplash. Slide-ins are designed to be flush with the back wall, so mine sticks out a bit in front because I haven't removed that section. I could, but would then need to cover up the exposed cut edges of the particleboard somehow. When my renos get done I will have a different type of counter and backsplash so that issue will go away.

Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Is there a reason Ford doesn’t get the credit?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Yeah, our drop-in, and the replacement slide-in were on a custom counter that opened into the dining room, designed to be deep enough to solve that issue.

Now, we have wall oven/microwave combo, with an electric cooktop separate.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

For our new kitchen we went with a slide in. Mostly for aesthetics I think. Plus a wall oven. My wife really likes ovens.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 237,885

Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Is there a reason Ford doesn’t get the credit?
    Ford Motor Credit is electing to not pass it to the customer. Not that they can't, they just don't want to.

I suspect as inventory continues to grow, that may change.

Kia, on the other hand, passes along the entire $7500 on the EV6, but only $5000 for the Niro EV. Why? You gotta ask the beancounters.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,089
    edited December 2023
    Soffit lighting is pretty popular in our neighborhood.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@stickguy said:
    For our new kitchen we went with a slide in. Mostly for aesthetics I think. Plus a wall oven. My wife really likes ovens.

For our shore kitchen renovation we aren’t replacing the appliances just yet (already stainless and nothing wrong at all with them) but I’m making sure that when they do the backsplash that it will accommodate a slide in. They look so much better than the models with the controls on the back

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,496
    edited December 2023
    This drop-in vs. slide-in discussion is the new “rear car camera” one - car camera 2.0.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,517
    ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

Really, though, just two with one obscure drop-in style still being made. I wonder how long GE will keep offering them since I can't imagine they sell very many. On the controls question, that's why I like both my current and previous slide-ins. Both of them have controls mounted more or less vertically on the front above the oven door like a gas range would. A great many have the controls horizontally on the top front roughly level with or slightly above the level of the cooktop, which I do not like. Seems they might get in the way when moving pots and pans on or off the cooktop.

One thing I did not realize with a slide-in when I got my original one many years ago: my counter is still typical post-formed laminate over particleboard with an integral 4" backsplash. Slide-ins are designed to be flush with the back wall, so mine sticks out a bit in front because I haven't removed that section. I could, but would then need to cover up the exposed cut edges of the particleboard somehow. When my renos get done I will have a different type of counter and backsplash so that issue will go away.
    One of our rental units had a GE drop in that started breaking down and it was a chore finding one that we could get our hands on quickly since the unit was occupied. We ended up going with a free-standing range that fortunately only required cutting out the lower portion of the cabinet.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,345

Soffit lighting is pretty popular in our neighborhood.

————————————————
    I can’t tell from that photo. Maybe that’s because the house on the right may not have paid their electric bill yet.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2023

@carnaught said:
    This drop-in vs. slide-in discussion is the new “rear car camera” one - car camera 2.0.

Thats gotta have a cord😎

Sad day here in my area, today was the start of salt season.

I awoke to a slight dusting of snow on the grass and when I went to Chick-Fil-A for breakfast I plunged into salt hell. I just made it before all my windshield washer fluid ran out and the PTSD from last year gave me flashbacks. Great piles of salt were dumped at every corner. You could almost hear the car rusting away.

Evidently I wasn’t the only one traumatized because when I later went to the supermarket I found multiple carts strewn about in parking spots. Almost as if the users had run screaming from the saltpocalypse. 😰

@mjfloyd1 said:

@carnaught said:

Thats gotta have a cord😎

I can’t help myself .. in Canada those large electric appliances are required to have a cord from the factory. In the US typically you have to buy it separately

tjc78 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@carnaught said:

Thats gotta have a cord😎

I can’t help myself .. in Canada those large electric appliances are required to have a cord from the factory. In the US typically you have to buy it separately

That’s true for electric ranges. Strangely, dishwashers need to be hardwired here just like south of the border.

My Bosch dishwasher had a recall.. for the power cord. 😂😂

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited December 2023

Hey guys. My son's 2010 Mercury Milan has sprung a leak. Multiple oil pan leaks, maybe a rear main seal...one or two others, I can't remember. My mechanic didn't want to work on it. Didn't want the aggravation.

So, thinking about this 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring. @jmonroe1 ,or anyone else, have any input or experience with this car?

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    edited December 2023

Private owner. Bought from dealership. Owned 4 years Almost new tires New battery. Everything works No leaks. Miles are good at 98,900.
    Negative: Age is 10 years. Gas mileage isn't great. Average around 21mpg.
    Price? Looks to be in ballpark.
    Suppose to look at this car tomorrow at 5pm est.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    edited December 2023

Don't really need to sell or get rid of the Milan, but I feel the end is near (actually I've thought the end was near for almost 4 years) . Transmission shifting a bit abruptly going into 2nd gear.
    Oil light comes on intermittently at stop lights. Burns about a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. Not a horrible oil leak. Maybe a tablespoon or 2 per day.

can't speak to reliability, but I always liked these. I expect they are pretty rare, so might be some model specific parts hard to find. At least the drivetrain should be common to other models.

this was one of the pictures in a listing for a modest house near me (if you can call 10,240 SF with a 30 car garage modest).

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,879
    jipster said:

Don't really need to sell or get rid of the Milan, but I feel the end is near (actually I've thought the end was near for almost 4 years) . Transmission shifting a bit abruptly going into 2nd gear.

Oil light comes on intermittently at stop lights. Burns about a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. Not a horrible oil leak. Maybe a tablespoon or 2 per day.

If not low on oil, the Oil light might be faulty oil sender/sensor or low oil pressure. Has that been checked? Using a quart of oil every 5000 mi is nothing, the annoyance of the oil leak staining the pavement I understand. The TL drips a bit, never needs oil between changes and makes a mess in our driveway. I sprinkle oil absorbent, similar to kitty litter over the area where the car is parked to minimize the mess.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

jipster said:

Hey guys. My son's 2010 Mercury Milan has sprung a leak. Multiple oil pan leaks, maybe a rear main seal...one or two others, I can't remember. My mechanic didn't want to work on it. Didn't want the aggravation.

So, thinking about this 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring. @jmonroe1 ,or anyone else, have any input or experience with this car?

————————————————
    Since you asked,

I would not pay close to 12 grand for any 100K mile 11 year old car with or without good tires, a new battery or an oil change that was done yesterday.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

this was one of the pictures in a listing for a modest house near me (if you can call 10,240 SF with a 30 car garage modest).

————————————————
    Hard to tell without seeing it but with 30 cars it might be a good deal.

jmonroe
    does not indicate the cars come with it. pretty sure you have to bring your own. Though if you can afford the $4.3 million asking price, you probably have a nice fleet that needs parking.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,801

@jipster said:
    Private owner. Bought from dealership. Owned 4 years Almost new tires New battery. Everything works No leaks. Miles are good at 98,900.

Which trim is it? A Grand Touring with those miles would pull less than $5k at Manheim. Track or R-spec would bring $9k-$10k.

I’m in the camp of no-buy on a 100k-mi, 11-yr-old Hyundai for $12k, personally. There are better ways to spend that kind of money.

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

@jipster said:

Which trim is it? A Grand Touring with those miles would pull less than $5k at Manheim. Track or R-spec would bring $9k-$10k.

I’m in the camp of no-buy on a 100k-mi, 11-yr-old Hyundai for $12k, personally. There are better ways to spend that kind of money.

True.....the trade-in value of our 2014 C250 with 42000 miles on it is about $9000.

carnaught said:

Have we had a good discussion about air fryers yet?

Thx for the input. Trim level? It's the 3.8 Genesis Grand Touring Coupe.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised at the "priced too high" consensus. In looking at similar vehicles it looks to be priced about right. If I like it thought about offering $10,500.

From what I've seen in the last 3-4 years, used car prices have gone up drastically, due to limited supply of new cars...people holding onto their old cars. Prices look to be dropping slowly in the last 3-4 months.

So, at what price point would you consider the car a good buy?

With the big 360(?) hp engine it's a bit of a gas guzzler, and after doing some research last night, reliability seems hit or miss.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 856
    stickguy said:

You'd think they would have asked the staff to park elsewhere for picture day...
    jipster said:

Thx for the input. Trim level? It's the 3.8 Genesis Grand Touring Coupe.

With the big 360(?) hp engine it's a bit of a gas guzzler, and after doing some research last night, reliability seems hit or miss.

What I like about the 360 hp engine is that it should hold up longer....it hardly works for most driving.

edited December 2023

Well, after consideration, I decided to cancel
    the car's 5p.m showing, with dinner at Bootleg B.B.Q immediately after. Questions about reliability and m.p.g being the main concern. As well as the age of vehicle, not so much the mileage. Don't want to waste sellers time if not serious about the car. So, any of you guys plan on selling your vehicle anytime soon? Preferably at Manheim Auction prices. B)