2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,155
    Would the statuette have looked different had he found it the previous Friday?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,935
    When my son was home for a few days we spoke about cars a little. He is just about ready to get something to replace his Land Rover. He has always bought new cars.

One interesting thing he said was that he is seriously considering buying from Carvana because of all the garbage you have to go through when buying from a dealer. He mentioned the negotiation process as well as the silly, senseless, unnecessary forms in the F&I office - among other things.

The nut didn't fall far from the tree.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,797
    Just say no.
    I don't recall, in relatively recent memory at least, having to spend too much time in F & I. I smile and say no to the mop & glo/scotchgard/extended blinker fluid warranties.
    Several times, the Finance dude simply said no for me, he knew I wasn't a buyer.

But, not always... ex-wife's 535xi, she wanted the wheel/tire warranty; I reviewed with my independent tire shop, they said it probably would pay for itself. Last I knew, pre-divorce, one wheel/tire replaced, so perhaps that was a win?

And, mandatory mop/glo (ceramic sealant) with the current X3. Salesdude noted earlier it was earlier simply a Covid $1k ADM, it was his idea to include the ceramic so as not to incense hopefully returning customers. As they were discounting the '22 during Covid, it still seemed a good deal, so we bought the X3 (yeah, like I had a choice. She wanted it and whatever Lola wants...).

Maybe shopping more upscale marques eases the F&I pitch?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,935

Just say no.
    I don't recall, in relatively recent memory at least, having to spend too much time in F & I. I smile and say no to the mop & glo/scotchgard/extended blinker fluid warranties.
    Several times, the Finance dude simply said no for me, he knew I wasn't a buyer.

But, not always... ex-wife's 535xi, she wanted the wheel/tire warranty; I reviewed with my independent tire shop, they said it probably would pay for itself. Last I knew, pre-divorce, one wheel/tire replaced, so perhaps that was a win?

And, mandatory mop/glo (ceramic sealant) with the current X3. Salesdude noted earlier it was earlier simply a Covid $1k ADM, it was his idea to include the ceramic so as not to incense hopefully returning customers. As they were discounting the '22 during Covid, it still seemed a good deal, so we bought the X3 (yeah, like I had a choice. She wanted it and whatever Lola wants...).

Maybe shopping more upscale marques eases the F&I pitch?

You sort of proved his point. :#

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    Buying for me? No F & I shenanigans. Buying for the ladies, well, I've deferred to their desires. Chose my battles!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016
    Does anyone know anything about this?

Some car owners when they renewed their insurance they received shocking premium increases. One fellow facing a 21% jump asked why and was given a report, 130 pages long covering every trip taken in his GM car over the last 6 months. 640 trips were detailed and the data included instances of speeding, hard braking and sharp acceleration. In the fine print (that nobody reads) of a subscription to OnStar and Smart Driver apps, there is language allowing for the sale of the data to insurance companies.

Just wondering if it is true....asking for a friend.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    I don't know about OnStar etc... but when my rates went up 20% (while I was still a one-car owner), I called Amica and asked what the heck???
    A lovely CSR told me it was completely due to the sins of others, nothing in my record was to blame. She said she went through the same WTH?
    I switched, through my agent. New rate/insurer down by almost 40%, slowly creeping back up.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,365

@driver100 said:

Some car owners when they renewed their insurance they received shocking premium increases. One fellow facing a 21% jump asked why and was given a report, 130 pages long covering every trip taken in his GM car over the last 6 months. 640 trips were detailed and the data included instances of speeding, hard braking and sharp acceleration. In the fine print (that nobody reads) of a subscription to OnStar and Smart Driver apps, there is language allowing for the sale of the data to insurance companies.

Don't know if it's true but it is extremely possible. Your data is being sold by anyone and everyone that knows the slightest bit about you.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,501
    GM said they are going to stop selling their customers individual info to insurance companies and others.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,395
    There are people out there willingly giving the insurance companies the info, just for a small discount.

Amica: They get great reviews, but they've never been able to come close to my State Farm rates.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@explorerx4 said:
    GM said they are going to stop selling their customers individual info to insurance companies and others.

Yeah but they never said when.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,243
    Apparently VW and Hyundai/Kia do also from reports I heard.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,063
    surprisingly, Geico raised ours very very little. Roughly 4%. Paying ~$4550 annually for 5 vehicles across 3 drivers, including an 18-yr-old boy, with high limits across the board and including comprehensive on 4 of the 5 vehicles is a screaming bargain, IMHO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,871
    venture said:

When my son was home for a few days we spoke about cars a little. He is just about ready to get something to replace his Land Rover. He has always bought new cars.

One interesting thing he said was that he is seriously considering buying from Carvana because of all the garbage you have to go through when buying from a dealer. He mentioned the negotiation process as well as the silly, senseless, unnecessary forms in the F&I office - among other things.

The nut didn't fall far from the tree.

I haven’t financed since 2015 but as I remember the Ford dealer didn’t even mention extended warranties, mop&glo or any other nonsense. The latest dealer tried to slip in mandatory VIN etching but i said no thanks

I did buy a used car for my son at a Chevy dealer and they unfurled an encyclopedia of add-ons that would have tripled the cost of the car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100 said:

It’s true.

https://youtu.be/aoiYa0G_SpA?si=l3P6LcuEGnhnolap

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,205
    edited April 4
    Wow.
    So those times I sped up to 80 to get ahead of trucks in a 70 mph zone to merge to the right lane may be used by State Farm to identify me as a high risk EDIT thanks to General Motors.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,748

Wow.
    So those times I sped up to 80 to get ahead of trucks in a 70 mph zone to merge to the right lane may be used by State Farm to identify me as a high risk?

————————————————
    And folks wonder why I’m not set up with anyone to do automatic bill pay every month and more importantly why I don’t do any on-line banking.

I mentioned to a friend that I was thinking about telling my bank not to authorize any cash withdrawals from either my checking or savings account unless I was doing it in person. He told me he didn’t think I could do that but I’ll have to go to my bank to see if that is true.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016

driver100 said:

It’s true.

@oldfarmer50 Wow! Thanks for the comments about this but the video makes it pretty clear it is true.
    A real eye opener. That is why I didn't want the 15% discount from Allstate if I allowed them to track me.
    There can be lots of reasons for stopping fast or even speeding.....like on I-75 the limit is 70 but people are all passing you if you go 80. :/

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,496
    driver100 said:

That story was all over the automotive boards.
    Three weeks ago...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

@roadburner said:
    Three weeks ago...

Three weeks ago? I thought this board was up to date on all things current. What am I paying these dues for?

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,034

Wait until you all see what they could pull off of your phone!

The vast majority of drivers would be completely screwed if they used the GPS data off of your phone or car.

Heck Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps would do most people in. Also EZPass where you tag in/out like on the NJTP … your speed can be calculated

Big brother is everywhere and you can’t hide

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

The vast majority of drivers would be completely screwed if they used the GPS data off of your phone or car.

Heck Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps would do most people in. Also EZPass where you tag in/out like on the NJTP … your speed can be calculated

Several of my murder cases depended on cell phone data to place the defendant at the crime scene. Note however, that a search warrant is required to obtain that information.
    That said, a real treasure trove of information can be found on jail calls. Attorney-client calls are not recorded, but everything else is- and inmates receive a message at the start of their calls that they are being recorded. It doesn't matter; we still get a ton of incriminating evidence- all of which is admissible at trial.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    edited April 5

@tjc78 said:

You can always turn off that GPS location device on your phone. Also on the Illinois tollway for short distances you may only go through one toll booth so they couldn't calculate speed.

• Options

@roadburner said:
    Several of my murder cases depended on cell phone data to place the defendant at the crime scene. Note however, that a search warrant is required to obtain that information.
    That said, a real treasure trove of information can be found on jail calls. Attorney-client calls are not recorded, but everything else is- and inmates receive a message at the start of their calls that they are being recorded. It doesn't matter; we still get a ton of incriminating evidence- all of which is admissible at trial.

With that cell phone data are you getting the data from the phone itself or off of tower pings?

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,205
    I recall a technical article a decade or so ago about turning the location off on a phone. The tech group set up a fake connection for the phone. Even with the location off, the phone eventually sent in a a packet of data that was the travel history for the phone while the location was turned off.
    No privacy there!!!

IOW. That data is the phone company's just like the social media groups consider all info their property. I think I eventually figured out that photobucket used people's photos from the users in their promo pages and advertising even without the owners knowing. REmember all those nice scenic photos for instance that used to pop up to get you to want to save more of your photos on their site?

People are slow learners. Real easily fooled.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

@roadburner said:

With that cell phone data are you getting the data from the phone itself or off of tower pings?

Both.

• Options
    edited April 5

@roadburner said:

Three weeks ago...

Three weeks ago? I thought this board was up to date on all things current. What am I paying these dues for?

For the ambiance.😄

• Options
    edited April 5
    tjc78 said:

Which is why I don’t use EZpass and do use an old Garmin nav that’s connected to nothing. When the CIA comes for me they’ll have a harder time doing it.😳 I do expect they’ll catch up to me getting gas at Sam’s Club since that’s the only place I can’t use cash.

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

@tjc78 said:

You can always turn off that GPS location device on your phone. Also on the Illinois tollway for short distances you may only go through one toll booth so they couldn't calculate speed.

Doesn’t matter they can compute your locations based on what towers you phone is connecting to.

If your phone is on and connected to cellular the data is there.

As for one toll booth… true. But I’d wager most roads have time stamped video along the way and at tool booths which could do the same thing

I stand by my comment that in today’s day and age it is virtually impossible to keep from being tracked.

• Options

@tjc78 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@tjc78 said:

Doesn’t matter they can compute your locations based on what towers you phone is connecting to.

If your phone is on and connected to cellular the data is there.

As for one toll booth… true. But I’d wager most roads have time stamped video along the way and at tool booths which could do the same thing

I stand by my comment that in today’s day and age it is virtually impossible to keep from being tracked.

If by the tower all they can do is get you in the general location of the tower. If by cell phone data by the GPS they can get you within 16 feet if you have clear sky's, Any interference can extend that range. Currently my phone has me in my neighbors house.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

————————————————
    Are you saying you can see me when I’m logged in here? I wasn’t offered that dues package. :#

jmonroe
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,155
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

————————————————
    Are you saying you can see me when I’m logged in here? I wasn’t offered that dues package. :#

jmonroe
    You'll never know what we're tracking about you on these forums.

(insert evil laugh here, while rubbing hands together)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,597

tjc78 said:

Which is why I don’t use EZpass and do use an old Garmin nav that’s connected to nothing. When the CIA comes for me they’ll have a harder time doing it.😳 I do expect they’ll catch up to me getting gas at Sam’s Club since that’s the only place I can’t use cash.
    But where are you getting your cash? If you're taking it out through an ATM, you're on closed circuit video and your location is tagged through the ATM's identifier. If you're using the PIN pad at a grocery store and taking out cash, that data is being captured. I can still track general movement and activities of individuals who favor cash, albeit not as easily as those who use their credit or debit cards.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,557

I recall a technical article a decade or so ago about turning the location off on a phone. The tech group set up a fake connection for the phone. Even with the location off, the phone eventually sent in a a packet of data that was the travel history for the phone while the location was turned off.
    No privacy there!!!

IOW. That data is the phone company's just like the social media groups consider all info their property. I think I eventually figured out that photobucket used people's photos from the users in their promo pages and advertising even without the owners knowing. REmember all those nice scenic photos for instance that used to pop up to get you to want to save more of your photos on their site?

People are slow learners. Real easily fooled.

I was at a friend's home a few months ago and had a very interesting conversation about this with a gentleman who works for the big cable/internet company in South/Central NJ/Philly. He works with law Enforcement once they provide him with the proper documentation. He explained to me that what is on your phone/computer is YOURS, but the cable company owns the wifi and the network, and it is easier for law enforcement to deal with the company.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,501
    Any one in the NE feel the earthquake?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

But where are you getting your cash? If you're taking it out through an ATM, you're on closed circuit video and your location is tagged through the ATM's identifier. If you're using the PIN pad at a grocery store and taking out cash, that data is being captured. I can still track general movement and activities of individuals who favor cash, albeit not as easily as those who use their credit or debit cards.
    I have never used an ATM or PIN pad at a grocery store. I guess they could track my monthly cash withdrawal from the bank but they wouldn’t know exactly what day to stake out the branch since I vary that too. I know if they want me they can do it but why make it easy?

• Options

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

I have never used an ATM or PIN pad at a grocery store. I guess they could track my monthly cash withdrawal from the bank but they wouldn’t know exactly what day to stake out the branch since I vary that too. I know if they want me they can do it but why make it easy?
    What do you think they will do with the info?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Yeah, I thought it was the stupid cat scratching the back of my chair but then my wife said “what was that?”. Very mild but we’re 150 miles from the epicenter in NJ.

Funny how folks who rarely experience earthquakes perceive them. Years ago we had one in upstate NY that shook the house. My first reaction was “why are my kids wrestling in the hall at 6 am.?”

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,557

Yes. I thought it was one of my workers pushing the pallet jack with too much weight too close to the building.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Nothing noticed here in Seattle, I mean SE MA.

• Options

@explorerx4 said:

Oh yeah. We felt it pretty pronounced here in south Jersey at the shore.

• Options

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

Quoting Archie Bunker, “I’m not paranoid!! Why are you all trying to get me?” :pensive:

In other news, on my iPad now the emojis are once again inserting themselves as the first item in any post.

• Options

————————————————-
    I’ll bet not as much as the folks in Taiwan.

jmonroe
  • Options
    ab348 said:

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

Quoting Archie Bunker, “I’m not paranoid!! Why are you all trying to get me?” :pensive:

In other news, on my iPad now the emojis are once again inserting themselves as the first item in any post.
    That’s the government letting you know they control everything.😂

• Options
    kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

Nothing….until they want to.🫣 I’m not really that paranoid, it’s just my normal contrarian nature. My reading of history tells me not to trust government or car salesman.

• Options

kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

Nothing….until they want to.🫣 I’m not really that paranoid, it’s just my normal contrarian nature. My reading of history tells me not to trust government or car salesman.
    I've saved $300 in credit card rebates already this year... :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

————————————————-
    Brace yourself, I’ve now changed my SS number to yours so the IRS can’t get me. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

I’ve probably save $300 in interest charges/fees by not using mine. My mechanic charges a 3.9% service fee for credit cards and most gas station charge 10 cents more. I’ll make large individual purchases on the card and get the points but I see lots of people using cards for a cup of coffee. I never understood that. I’d feel funny not having enough cash to a least buy lunch.

Yeah I know I a dinosaur.

• Options

@kyfdx said:

I just cashed a ton of points for our flights to Turks in October. Saved over $2500

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

Brace yourself, I’ve now changed my SS number to yours so the IRS can’t get me. B)

Better keep an eye out for the IRS agents invading your backyard armed with picks and shovels looking for the hermetically sealed canisters of cash buried there.