2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,797
    I love my credit cards! It's really just spending the bank's money!
    Isn't it?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,869

I love my credit cards! It's really just spending the bank's money!
    Isn't it?

I bet the repo guy hears that a lot.😫

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    The used pick up I bought had a problem with the AC that the dealer fixed gratis. For the second time (first was the salesman) I was told I might get a survey and how important it was to them. Again I assured then that should I get a survey they would get all 10s but I wonder is this obvious desperation on the part of dealer employees something new? I don’t remember them being so needy.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

Wait until you all see what they could pull off of your phone!

The vast majority of drivers would be completely screwed if they used the GPS data off of your phone or car.

Heck Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps would do most people in. Also EZPass where you tag in/out like on the NJTP … your speed can be calculated

Big brother is everywhere and you can’t hide

————————————————
    Are you saying you can see me when I’m logged in here? I wasn’t offered that dues package. :#

jmonroe
    Yeh, don't go around in your underwear....we don't want to see that. :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

Wait until you all see what they could pull off of your phone!

The vast majority of drivers would be completely screwed if they used the GPS data off of your phone or car.

Heck Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps would do most people in. Also EZPass where you tag in/out like on the NJTP … your speed can be calculated

Big brother is everywhere and you can’t hide

Which is why I don’t use EZpass and do use an old Garmin nav that’s connected to nothing. When the CIA comes for me they’ll have a harder time doing it.😳 I do expect they’ll catch up to me getting gas at Sam’s Club since that’s the only place I can’t use cash.
    But where are you getting your cash? If you're taking it out through an ATM, you're on closed circuit video and your location is tagged through the ATM's identifier. If you're using the PIN pad at a grocery store and taking out cash, that data is being captured. I can still track general movement and activities of individuals who favor cash, albeit not as easily as those who use their credit or debit cards.
    I have never used an ATM or PIN pad at a grocery store. I guess they could track my monthly cash withdrawal from the bank but they wouldn’t know exactly what day to stake out the branch since I vary that too. I know if they want me they can do it but why make it easy?
    What do you think they will do with the info?
    Nothing….until they want to.🫣 I’m not really that paranoid, it’s just my normal contrarian nature. My reading of history tells me not to trust government or car salesman.
    I'm kind of the opposite, I couldn't care less if someone wants to track me. Though, I don't trust the Alexus sitting on my desk, if we talk about buying something ads start popping up on our computers.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,434
    Who is Alexus? Does your wife know about her?
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,237

The mental picture of Alexus sitting on my desk is rather appealing. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

The used pick up I bought had a problem with the AC that the dealer fixed gratis. For the second time (first was the salesman) I was told I might get a survey and how important it was to them. Again I assured then that should I get a survey they would get all 10s but I wonder is this obvious desperation on the part of dealer employees something new? I don’t remember them being so needy.

It seems dealerships and staff are all judged by surveys these days. I haven't had to hand in a bad survey yet, but I'd feel bad being responsible for someone being fired.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,062
    edited April 5

@explorerx4 said:
    Any one in the NE feel the earthquake?

Quite pronounced at my house. Shaking fixtures and glassware clinking in the cabinets. We are relatively close to the epicenter. Not sure exact distance but I’d guess inside 25 miles. Went on for what seemed like quite some time. I think once it passed 10 secs is about the time I said “I think it is an earthquake.”

Biggest one in NJ since 1884, if anyone is curious. Certainly the most pronounced I’ve ever personally experienced.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,494
    nyccarguy said:

Yes. I thought it was one of my workers pushing the pallet jack with too much weight too close to the building.
    Back in April 2008 we had a 5.2 magnitude quake in the Kentuckiana area. It happened right before dawn. My wife woke me up and asked, "What's happening?" I replied, "It's an earthquake, go back to sleep." She couldn't sleep afterwards but I slept until the alarm went off.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,206
    The most I have ever felt an earthquake was the August 2011 one in Virginia. I was in Wilmington, NC at the time, actually at work... there was a brief shudder, and then a few seconds of what seemed like side-to-side shaking.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,905
    I won’t give up EZ PASS. Besides, if you don’t, they just scan your plate and mail you a bill. Which you might get before it’s already late. And they charge you more to do.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,555
    qbrozen said:

@explorerx4 said:

Quite pronounced at my house. Shaking fixtures and glassware clinking in the cabinets. We are relatively close to the epicenter. Not sure exact distance but I’d guess inside 25 miles. Went on for what seemed like quite some time. I think once it passed 10 secs is about the time I said “I think it is an earthquake.”

Biggest one in NJ since 1884, if anyone is curious. Certainly the most pronounced I’ve ever personally experienced.

Glad you are all OK!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328

I remember an earthquake in Vincennes IN in the summer of 1987. Really just some shaking but my mom was a paraplegic and in her wheelchair and I had just had foot surgery and was on crutches. It would have been interesting if it was higher magnitude.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

@explorerx4 said:

Glad you are all OK!

That's what woke my wife up in 2008; we have an antique corner cupboard and the china was making a bit of noise.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,744
    ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Brace yourself, I’ve now changed my SS number to yours so the IRS can’t get me. B)

Better keep an eye out for the IRS agents invading your backyard armed with picks and shovels looking for the hermetically sealed canisters of cash buried there.
    ————————————————
    The last time they wanted to do that I scared them off when I warned them what landscapers charge in my hood to put things back to their original condition. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

————————————————
    Yeah and wait until his wife hears about Lexa.

jmonroe
  • Options
    About this earthquake stuff…I think the earth is getting a little upset with all this eclipse talk. :o

jmonroe
  • Options

Newark airport none the worse for earthquake wear. Made it back to the US and got another rental van. A Chrysler voyager. Didn’t know they made those. I assume it is a decontented Pacifica. In any case, fit the 5 of us and all the luggage.

• Options

The reason customers get told that is because the surveys are designed so that anything other than a 10 is counted as a failing score. It's ludicrous but true.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,032

@stickguy said:
    Newark airport none the worse for earthquake wear. Made it back to the US and got another rental van. A Chrysler voyager. Didn’t know they made those. I assume it is a decontented Pacifica. In any case, fit the 5 of us and all the luggage.

They closed it for a little while on Friday. A few of my guys were stuck at the gate

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    we got lucky with the weather and earthquake/airport issues.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,032
    stickguy said:

we got lucky with the weather and earthquake/airport issues.

Good trip? What were the highlights?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Lots of cool cars!

that and the food (so many pasteries!) Porto was cool (did a tour of a Port cellar). A palace in Sintra on a mountain was very neat. Cascais (Portuguese riviera was fun. Tour of Cambria (especially the university library) was really good. The best part was probably the boat tour of the grottos and caves in Lagos.

probably more I am forgetting, but we are wiped out being 5 hours behind being home.

• Options

The reason customers get told that is because the surveys are designed so that anything other than a 10 is counted as a failing score. It's ludicrous but true.
    I’m aware of the survey’s crazy rules, I learned that a long time ago on one of these forums. Strangely, as far back as 2008 I was told to expect one and I don’t think I ever got one with 3 new cars and several dealer bought used.

How do they transmit them, email or text? If they text it to me I wouldn’t be able to open the link on my cheap little tracphone.

• Options

I’m aware of the survey’s crazy rules, I learned that a long time ago on one of these forums. Strangely, as far back as 2008 I was told to expect one and I don’t think I ever got one with 3 new cars and several dealer bought used.

How do they transmit them, email or text? If they text it to me I wouldn’t be able to open the link on my cheap little tracphone.
    ————————————————
    I was also told several times, like you, to expect a survey and how important it was to give 10’s, but I never received even one.

jmonroe
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,934
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————
    I was also told several times, like you, to expect a survey and how important it was to give 10’s, but I never received even one.

jmonroe
    I've got a few surveys, but not for every car. I suspect if they think anything at all happened that you won't give them a perfect score, they won't give your information to the people who send them out.

I don't know if that's possible, but until someone proves that it isn't, I'm going to think it. B)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    edited April 7
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————
    Yeah and wait until his wife hears about Lexa.

jmonroe
    Her name is Alexus.

My Alexa answers to Alexus. She is getting more pushy though. Wants to give me suggestions what I should but on Amazon, and now wants to give me the weather for the day automatically.

• Options

I get them all the time from my MB dealers.....via email.

• Options
    May any and all of Ma Nature's more violent aberrations be nothing more than a story to tell.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

May any and all of Ma Nature's more violent aberrations be nothing more than a story to tell.

• Options
    Another trip to the Cape Cod Mall, still only one of two L2 Volta/Shell charges functional. But I got the good one while I feasted on a Jersey Mike's classic Italian. ~ 1hour got me from empty to 3/4 of a juice box, good for 19 miles per the Audi brain.
    So, it appears having a major oil co absorbing an electric supplier has, so far, netted no result on the maintenance front in Old Cape Cod (Mall).

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,434

Is Voltron back from the doctor, @laurasdada ?

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    new house moved right along while we were away. Getting real now! Siding and trim all done. AC unit in place. looked in the window and some of the insulation is in, so the rough ins and framing must all be done and inspected. Plan is to have insulation and drywall finished by the end of April, then 2 months to finish it out. Even went down today and finalized a large tile order to be delivered the last week of April so they can get going on that.

• Options
    Walking doggie this am, I actually saw an EV related fire! A Fisker Ocean drove by, I saw the owner's cash burning!
    Sorry 'bout that, Chief.

Nice looking thing, though.

• Options

@laurasdada said:
    Walking doggie this am, I actually saw an EV related fire! A Fisker Ocean drove by, I saw the owner's cash burning!
    Sorry 'bout that, Chief.

Nice looking thing, though.

Fisher doesn’t have a good track record with his previous venture

• Options
    My local Jag dealer also became, for a very short period, a Fisker Karma dealer. I went to look, the salesdude told me they couldn't wait not to be a Fisker dealer.
    Nice looking car inside and out. But, cramped backseat, tiny trunk and issues...including bankruptcy. Of course, the car has lived on as the Karma Revero, improved but likely still a tough sell.

• Options

Very little traffic here for the solar eclipse. IU has an event with William Shatner and a couple other people that they were selling tickets for and now they are giving the tickets away

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,364

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Very little traffic here for the solar eclipse. IU has an event with William Shatner and a couple other people that they were selling tickets for and now they are giving the tickets away

Speaking of eclipse I just took this picture.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

Another one.

• Options

Great. Now I don’t have to bother to look at it! Not that I can since I don’t have glasses.

• Options

This is weird but cool

• Options
    edited April 8

Not as dark as I thought but 360degree sunset look and crickets started chirping

• Options

• Options

Anyone playing the Pink Floyd song Eclipse from the Dark side of the moon album?

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,237
    Hope you bought eclipse glasses for your phone camera. Supposedly it can fry the sensor inside it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,495
    I just wore my regular sunglasses during the full eclipse.
    There was an orange kind of small sphere or dot poking out the lower left.
    Some said it was a solar flare and some said called it 'The Engagement Ring'.
    We went down to the playground with the grandkids and someone had a Sun playlist for musical accompaniment.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Hope you bought eclipse glasses for your phone camera. Supposedly it can fry the sensor inside it.

I bought 10 pairs of glasses on Amazon for around $8 and they came with a cell phone camera cover thingy.

It got a little dark and cooler here. We were only at about 85% to 90% it looked like. There is a housing project near the baseball field and all their photocell lights were on.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,062

89% in my zip code. Didn’t have special glasses but I took a look when it was about 50% with doubled-up sunglasses. Haha.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

This is weird but cool

————————————————
    Almost nothing at all in the Burgh area. If all the hype didn’t say we would experience some eclipse effect, I would never have thought it wasn’t just another cloud passing by.

BTW, how cool was it? While watching TV they said some areas experienced a temperature drop of around 20 degrees F over a relatively short period of time.

jmonroe