2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,880
    edited April 21

Today's fill up of the C43: 23.5 mpg on Shell 93; not quite as good as my old M235i but the C43 is heavier and faster- I can live with it...</block quote

I just filled up the truck at the cheapest place I could find (Lukoil) @ $3.39/RUG. Took almost $50. I’m getting 16.4 mpg which isn’t too bad for a 4600 lb. vehicle with 3:73 gears.

Gas is up about 60 cents in the last few weeks. I can’t wait until the more expensive “summer blend” comes.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,760

Today's fill up of the C43: 23.5 mpg on Shell 93; not quite as good as my old M235i but the C43 is heavier and faster- I can live with it...

————————————————-
    Do you think, maybe, Benz made it faster so you could get to the pump faster when the yellow light came on? :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,991
    Looks like I drove the Golf just over 2500 miles this past year. Which has been pretty normal since I switched jobs back in late 2019, give or take, with 3K miles being the most. Am pretty satisfied with the lower yearly mileage figures since I was driving about 13K miles/year while working at Hertz. Add in the cost of tolls and I spent a lot just to get to work. Now, being 3.3 miles away, no more tolls and hardly any petrol to speak of. I use about an 1/8th of a tank each week & have been filling up every 3 weeks or so. Did give the Golf a nice workout a few weeks back when I went over night to the kids place outside Orlando. Golf drove perfectly with no lights coming on or any strange noises, so was very pleased. Since there's nothing out there that I've gotta have, guess I'll just keep saving my paychecks for when I do find "the one"!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,365

@roadburner said:
    Today's fill up of the C43: 23.5 mpg on Shell 93; not quite as good as my old M235i but the C43 is heavier and faster- I can live with it...

I filled up the Honda today 63.2 MPG.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

Have we discussed garden gnomes yet? My wife said she wanted garden gnomes and I asked if I could pick them out. She made the mistake of saying yes. This is what I got.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,502
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-
    Do you think, maybe, Benz made it faster so you could get to the pump faster when the yellow light came on? :o

jmonroe
    I try to avoid the low fuel light. The tank mounted fuel pumps depend on the fuel for cooling.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,933

New house moving quick. Peeked in today and looks like all the drywall is up. Not taped or finished yet. Man that is a lot of work.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

New house moving quick. Peeked in today and looks like all the drywall is up. Not taped or finished yet. Man that is a lot of work.

————————————————
    Drywall essentially flies going up. Taping and finishing to get to the paint stage takes longer. It usually takes 3 coats of mud to get to the paint stage.

If you have 9 or 10 foot ceilings, try to get over there when they do the taping and mudding on the ceilings. The guys will probably use stilts to reach the ceiling.

It’s amazing how quickly they move on those things. Kinda fun to watch.

jmonroe
  • Options

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    I try to avoid the low fuel light. The tank mounted fuel pumps depend on the fuel for cooling.
    ————————————————-
    I try to avoid having the light come on too. But it came on about 200 feet before pulling into my Sons driveway to get a free dinner tonight.

jmonroe
  • Options
    I have seen the stilts before. those guys are pros!

9' ceilings on the 1st floor, and a good sized 2 story foyer so I assume there was (or will be) some sort of scaffolding involved.

spent today cleaning the current abode. Photog comes tomorrow at noon to do the pictures, and it goes on the market Wednesday night. This, is starting to get real!

Maverick got to do lots of truck work recently. 2 runs to Lowe's for loads of mulch bags, and a bunch of runs to the storage unit I rented to make all the excess crap disappear before showings start.

I keep threatening the wife that I am going to upsize the truck in the fleet when we move, and probably will have a ton of work for it initially. She is skeptical, though did like the color on a Ridgeline I pointed out to her!

Though would be hard to give up the economy. Filled up today since was approaching 400 miles on the tank (took just under 10 gallons, capacity is only about 13) and calculated out to 37.5 (only about 1mpg below the TC). QB ain't doing that in his Silverado!

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,941

Have we discussed garden gnomes yet? My wife said she wanted garden gnomes and I asked if I could pick them out. She made the mistake of saying yes. This is what I got.

Is it for the squirrels?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    maybe that is what happened to the Bunny.

we were outside cleaning up (listing pictures tomorrow) and the wife was down by the shed cleaning up some old flower pots and called me over because there was a dead bunny under the shed. Turns out, she was right. front end under the shed, butt end sticking out. And not a small one either, this was a big wabbit. That must have been there for a while based on condition after I managed to scoop it out with a shovel. And what the heck do you do with a dead rabbit? But at least some potential buyer didn't discover a decomposing rabbit when they were touring the property.

• Options
    @stickguy, my Son is having the flip listed on Friday with photos taken on Wednesday. I don’t really know how he can have it cleaned up by Wednesday but he says he can do it.

He thought he had a healthy asking price in mind but the realtor told him he was cheating himself (what ever happened to me in this deal?). She felt she could get another 10 grand because of the workmanship alone and was confident that because of the small number of houses for sale in that area, the would be buyers would bid it up. I hope she’s right but I don’t know how.

Good luck with yours.

jmonroe
  • Options
    thanks. I am hoping for a lost of interest and activity. Monitoring realtor.com, anything nice is pending within a few days. and I just checked our town. Inventory is skinny, and there are only 2 resales listed that are shown as available instead of pending, and both are in the boonie town next door and one is listed at 1.1million, and the other is kinda weird. I suspect we should be OK. And really hope the agents prediction is right for what we can get for the place!

• Options
    stickguy said:

maybe that is what happened to the Bunny.

we were outside cleaning up (listing pictures tomorrow) and the wife was down by the shed cleaning up some old flower pots and called me over because there was a dead bunny under the shed. Turns out, she was right. front end under the shed, butt end sticking out. And not a small one either, this was a big wabbit. That must have been there for a while based on condition after I managed to scoop it out with a shovel. And what the heck do you do with a dead rabbit? But at least some potential buyer didn't discover a decomposing rabbit when they were touring the property.

————————————————-
    Why didn’t you just push it under the shed. That was probably its last wish anyway?

jmonroe
  • Options
    I would have had to smell it until we moved.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,065

@snakeweasel said:

I got these for my BIL for his bday last year.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,208

We are starting to rehab my moms house, now that our tenants have moved out.

Needs more work than we expected. New floors and paint to start. New hardware for all the cabinets. We are considering scraping the popcorn off the ceiling, but that’s kinda pricey.

My sister and a close family friend are going to stage it with furniture from my sisters house (she’s getting new furniture) and some shopping at the local thrift stores.

Realtor thinks she can get much more than we figured once the work is done. Hoping to get it on the market on 6/1.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

Just back from the club gymnastics state meet in Indianapolis (NGA - nobody wants any part of USGA after Larry Nassar). First on floor (second 9.825 of the year), first on beam, forth vault and third all around.

A good way to end her gymnastics career. Regionals is in South Bend and too much going on then.

Congratulations!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,557

@Michaell said:

Needs more work than we expected. New floors and paint to start. New hardware for all the cabinets. We are considering scraping the popcorn off the ceiling, but that’s kinda pricey.

My sister and a close family friend are going to stage it with furniture from my sisters house (she’s getting new furniture) and some shopping at the local thrift stores.

Realtor thinks she can get much more than we figured once the work is done. Hoping to get it on the market on 6/1.

Regarding the popcorn ceiling, can you just Sheetrock over it with 1/4” Sheetrock and paint it?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,557

Chalk up another win for Subaru. A woman ran a red light and t-boned my 18 year old niece in her 2014 Crosstrek. They had to cut the door off because it wouldn’t open, but it looks like the car’s structure did its job. She’s ok.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Chalk up another win for Subaru. A woman ran a red light and t-boned my 18 year old niece in her 2014 Crosstrek. They had to cut the door off because it wouldn’t open, but it looks like the car’s structure did its job. She’s ok.

————————————————-
    That’s good to hear, glad your niece is safe. Is there any indication that woman was on her cell phone?

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited April 21
    nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

Regarding the popcorn ceiling, can you just Sheetrock over it with 1/4” Sheetrock and paint it?

I dunno, but I can ask.

It’s the whole house, minus the kitchen, so I don’t know if that would save any money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options

I would guess more cost effective to just leave it and paint if needed.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,038

Popcorn ceiling comes off easier than you think. Especially if it hasn’t been painted.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,247
    If it is the spray-on type of popcorn finish, the TV home improvement shows suggest it is fairly easy to remove with just a long-handled scraper. I don't know how true that is though. Going to be messy regardless and hopefully the ceiling isn't damaged.

I unfortunately have a sponge-finish stipple ceiling in the LR/DR which I think would be much tougher to remove since it is apparently done with joint compound. I think it was done by a previous owner. It doesn't look awful but is very much not de rigeur.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————-
    Just curious but did they say if it was a lose ground or a corroded connection. When I’ve found bad grounds it was always due to corrosion.

jmonroe

I was just about done with it by then so I wasn’t uber curious… but I looked in the trunk near the battery and I could see the paint scraped off on one of the body grounds so I’d assume bad connectivity due to excess paint.

Whatever/where-ever it was it did fix the problem for the few months I kept it post repair.

If anyone remembers I had an extremely early build 09 that had the flawed rear suspension. It made the ride extremely jittery. Hyundai knew it, revised all the parts with new part numbers but refused to warranty the early builds.

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback. The house was built in 1968, and I don’t think the ceilings in those rooms with the treatment have ever been painted.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options

If you do scrape wear a respirator. Especially the older stuff can be nasty (I think it used to have asbestos in it)

• Options
    stickguy said:

If you do scrape wear a respirator. Especially the older stuff can be nasty (I think it used to have asbestos in it)

We are having it done - the house is in CA, and my sister is 200+ miles away.

If we get it done, it will be by the same folks who are painting the interior.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 289
    I have seen a video of removing popcorn with a device maybe 18" in diameter that fit flush to the ceiling with some sort of scraper and was connected to a strong vac. Seemed to do a neat job.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

ab348 said:

If it is the spray-on type of popcorn finish, the TV home improvement shows suggest it is fairly easy to remove with just a long-handled scraper. I don't know how true that is though. Going to be messy regardless and hopefully the ceiling isn't damaged.

I unfortunately have a sponge-finish stipple ceiling in the LR/DR which I think would be much tougher to remove since it is apparently done with joint compound. I think it was done by a previous owner. It doesn't look awful but is very much not de rigeur.

Those shows make EVERYTHING look easy. "My wife and I weren't happy with the placement of our kitchen, so we decided to move it upstairs by ourselves." The husband is an ex-college football player who heated the pine during his team's improbable run to an NCAA national title. The wife is a 4' 10" Vietnamese woman that weighs 90 pounds soaking wet. 2 days into the renovation the entire house is gutted and she is fixated on Concrete Countertops. The husband wants Caeserstone. While he goes to pickup lumber in his jacked up Raptor, she decides to rent a cement truck because she can't lift the 94 pound bag of cement.
    She miraculously makes it across town, starts backing the cement truck up onto her property, narrowly missing a utility pole. Then they cut to "next week..."
    ————————————————-
    Damn, right when it was getting good. It would have been worth seeing the conclusion of that fiasco. o:)

Everything looks good on TV. I put no faith in those “from a distance” shots. I want close ups so I can see brush strokes.

I think I told this story before:

When flip number 3 (larger 4 BR with 3 1/2 baths) was about to be put on the market, my Son noticed that a flip around the corner was listed for more than he thought it should be but it went under contract about a week later. He then jacked up the price of our flip about 20 grand from what he first guesstimated (I thought he was dreaming). That’s the house that sold in 4 hours for a little more than the listed price.

The interesting thing about that house was when the young couple that lived next door to our flip came over just before it was listed to see the finished product they said they looked at the flip around the corner but while it looked nice in the pictures when they went into the house lots of flaws could be seen. They felt our flip had a lot better workmanship. I didn’t see the other flip but I believed them since I heard that comment before.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “I’d like to turn the flips around faster than what we’ve been doing.” Someday we might achieve that but it’s been slow going so far.

jmonroe
  • Options

Is it for the squirrels?

If only.

• Options

We just had pictures taken today (I am dead from a hard weekend getting this place ready for that!) and it will get listed Wednesday night, showing start Thursday evening. Hopefully that is a feeding frenzy. I still can’t believe what the agent is comping it at and what our list price is, but she seems confident we will get a lot of action and the number she was shooting for.

• Options

@stickguy said:
    We just had pictures taken today (I am dead from a hard weekend getting this place ready for that!) and it will get listed Wednesday night, showing start Thursday evening. Hopefully that is a feeding frenzy. I still can’t believe what the agent is comping it at and what our list price is, but she seems confident we will get a lot of action and the number she was shooting for.

My sister and I feel the same way about our moms house. We had a number in mind and our realtor (who is the wife of a childhood family friend - our dads worked at the FD together) thinks we can get substantially more than that.

Update - we are passing on dealing with the ceiling. A lot of comps in the area still have it, so it will get painted along with the walls.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,513
    Stainless Steel exterior is ... :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@Michaell said:

@stickguy said:

My sister and I feel the same way about our moms house. We had a number in mind and our realtor (who is the wife of a childhood family friend - our dads worked at the FD together) thinks we can get substantially more than that.

Update - we are passing on dealing with the ceiling. A lot of comps in the area still have it, so it will get painted along with the walls.

My Mom’s house had it in all the bedrooms… it was painted flat white and not one showing comment mentioned it.

This was during a much slower real estate time… I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

• Options

This month’s fill up of the 4xe: 67.1 mpg. I’ve now owned it for six months, and I plug it in every night. My electric bill for those last six months is $32 less than the same six month period a year ago.
    What a financial boondoggle…

• Options

This month’s fill up of the 4xe: 67.1 mpg. I’ve now owned it for six months, and I plug it in every night. My electric bill for those last six months is $32 less than the same six month period a year ago.

————————————————-
    You’re being rewarded financially for taking the risk of blowing up your car while charging it so often.

jmonroe
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,247
    nyccarguy said:

Those shows make EVERYTHING look easy. "My wife and I weren't happy with the placement of our kitchen, so we decided to move it upstairs by ourselves." The husband is an ex-college football player who heated the pine during his team's improbable run to an NCAA national title. The wife is a 4' 10" Vietnamese woman that weighs 90 pounds soaking wet. 2 days into the renovation the entire house is gutted and she is fixated on Concrete Countertops. The husband wants Caeserstone. While he goes to pickup lumber in his jacked up Raptor, she decides to rent a cement truck because she can't lift the 94 pound bag of cement.
    She miraculously makes it across town, starts backing the cement truck up onto her property, narrowly missing a utility pole. Then they cut to "next week..."

Very good! :disappointed:

You’re not far off unfortunately. Even This Old House, which used to be pretty well-grounded, has gone far off the deep end the last few seasons. This time they are featuring a big historic house in Glen Ridge, NJ that has been owned by a now close-to-retirement couple who seem to have either sold it all or in part to their daughter and her husband. The plan was to move some things around inside to accommodate 2 separate families. But as happens much of the time on the show now, they demolished the entirety of the 1st and 2nd floors leaving only the attic intact and built a new 2 storey addition onto the old place. But the elderly couple only got the attic, up on the third floor. Good luck to them up all those stairs.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-
    You’re being rewarded financially for taking the risk of blowing up your car while charging it so often.

jmonroe
    I really need to hire a guy to plug it in and unplug it; it's almost as fiendishly complex as checking the oil or adjusting the tire pressure.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,207
    Plumbing advice please.

Kitchen sink with garbage disposal and normal sink drain backed up while I was running lots of water and grinding some popcorn kernals down. The force of the water going out the garbage disposal while running was pushing green water and "stuff" up the other sink. Found wife had run half a bag of lettuce through the disposal yesterday. Apparently that leafy stuff caught on the "Y-pipe" area and was blocking the drain for both sides.

I finally used my plunger and laundry detergent in the water to help dissolve fats that likely caught the lettuce pieces and held them (along with lots of other ugly looking goop).

So is there something I can run down the drain to dissolve the greases that probably line the insides of the plastic pipes?

I recall seeing a bacteria additive at Lowes for drain pipes that attacks the "sludge" that coats inside of them. Has anyone had experience with using that?

I nearly had a heart attack at the thought of having to disassemble all the plastic drain pipes under the sink. Relieved I finally got water flowing again.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

Plumbing advice please.

Kitchen sink with garbage disposal and normal sink drain backed up while I was running lots of water and grinding some popcorn kernals down. The force of the water going out the garbage disposal while running was pushing green water and "stuff" up the other sink. Found wife had run half a bag of lettuce through the disposal yesterday. Apparently that leafy stuff caught on the "Y-pipe" area and was blocking the drain for both sides.

I finally used my plunger and laundry detergent in the water to help dissolve fats that likely caught the lettuce pieces and held them (along with lots of other ugly looking goop).

So is there something I can run down the drain to dissolve the greases that probably line the insides of the plastic pipes?

I recall seeing a bacteria additive at Lowes for drain pipes that attacks the "sludge" that coats inside of them. Has anyone had experience with using that?

I nearly had a heart attack at the thought of having to disassemble all the plastic drain pipes under the sink. Relieved I finally got water flowing again.

————————————————-
    If you’re sure a fat build up was the cause of the problem, I’ve heard CLR drain cleaner works but I’ve never used it. While acid cleaners shouldn’t harm plastic drain lines, I’d stay away from those. Of course you could try pouring any soapy stuff like Dawn concentrate into the drain while running the hottest water possible down the drain to get the fat desolved.

Good luck and let us know what worked.

jmonroe
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,799

You're giving me MPGenvy (see what I did there?). Filled up the A7 tonight, was down to 1/4 tank (dinosaur; running on empty nuclear). So, extrapolate away, but this tank:

415.3 miles
    41mph
    43.6 mpg
    8.1 m/kWh

Since I bought the M240 a year ago, I haven't been plugging in every night as the baby-Estoril blue lives in the garage, so a bit of car swapping is required. And, egads!, I actually paid .25/kWh the other night while dining. What is this world coming to when I have to pay for fuel!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,941
    jmonroe1 said:

nyccarguy said:

ab348 said:

————————————————-
    Damn, right when it was getting good. It would have been worth seeing the conclusion of that fiasco. o:)

Everything looks good on TV. I put no faith in those “from a distance” shots. I want close ups so I can see brush strokes.

I think I told this story before:

When flip number 3 (larger 4 BR with 3 1/2 baths) was about to be put on the market, my Son noticed that a flip around the corner was listed for more than he thought it should be but it went under contract about a week later. He then jacked up the price of our flip about 20 grand from what he first guesstimated (I thought he was dreaming). That’s the house that sold in 4 hours for a little more than the listed price.

The interesting thing about that house was when the young couple that lived next door to our flip came over just before it was listed to see the finished product they said they looked at the flip around the corner but while it looked nice in the pictures when they went into the house lots of flaws could be seen. They felt our flip had a lot better workmanship. I didn’t see the other flip but I believed them since I heard that comment before.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “I’d like to turn the flips around faster than what we’ve been doing.” Someday we might achieve that but it’s been slow going so far.

jmonroe
    Do you guys use a sledge hammer to remove old kitchen cabinets like on the TV shows?

I always removed 4 to 6 screws and lifted out the cabinet. Faster and cleaner, but not the dramatic effect.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,880
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————
    Drywall essentially flies going up. Taping and finishing to get to the paint stage takes longer. It usually takes 3 coats of mud to get to the paint stage.

If you have 9 or 10 foot ceilings, try to get over there when they do the taping and mudding on the ceilings. The guys will probably use stilts to reach the ceiling.

It’s amazing how quickly they move on those things. Kinda fun to watch.

jmonroe
    Stilts? Now you tell me. I guess balancing on a board strung between two ladders wasn’t the professional way, huh?🤔

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible