2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,628
    qbrozen said:

@kyfdx said:

We have a couple of orthopedic/neurosurgery practices that have walk-in clinics. It's pretty awesome. It's a lot quicker than actually making an appointment. Worst case, about a 90 minute wait. Sometimes, 15 minutes.

My son was rear-ended by a car on his bicycle, about 4 years ago. Minor injuries, but totaled a $12K bike.

He received $10K over his actual losses, and that was without a lawyer.

Say what? A $12,000 BICYCLE?! Is he aware that gold does not make for a good bike frame?

Yes. like everything else, it is INSANE. I've seen them in bike stores and can tell you that $12K isn't anywhere near the highest.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,952
    nyccarguy said:

venture said:

FWIW, my experience has been that you're not sure what the effects of an accident (bicycle, motorcycle, automobile and, sadly (in my dotage), falling down) will be until about three days after the event. Take care of yourself. Makes me proud to own a Subaru, though, as has been mentioned, I don't need it to be included in the recent swarm.

As I saw him in the process of hitting me I was thinking, "So this is how it ends". Weird how something that fast seems to slow down.

I have to get the baseball field ready for play. It isn't ready yet. Needless to say, this cramped my style a little yesterday. :) I was running string lines and was going to use the power edger to make nice, new lines but decided to just go home.
    Truly a scary experience to say the least.

I'll echo what the others are saying and please take some time and get yourself checked out. I'm sure this is the furthest thing from your mind right now, but (also as others have said) you've got to document your injuries. I'd also consult with a lawyer. This is WHY insurance exists. Fixing or totaling out cars is peanuts compared to property damage and medical bills.

I also LOVE in true CCBA fashion that you've already put a deposit down on another car.

So he hit you on the front left (driver's side) and obviously spun your car. Did he hit you again or did you hit a stationary object (light pole, fire hydrant)?
    I didn't hit anything else. I was well into the crossing lane, turning left when he hit me.

I was at my doctor a little while ago. I went through some tests and nothing further is needed unless anything gets worse. I guess I could be considered lucky in this instance. They have documentation.

I'm not really interested in pursuing additional compensation other than my car.

2025 Forester Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,993
    kyfdx said:

venture said:

Woke up this morning and it's not as bad as I expected. No additional aches and pains. The main thing is the neck. Sort of like a slight stiff neck.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. It's appreciated.

I would definitely go to the emergency room or an orthopedic walk-in clinic... today.
    You really need to document your injuries. If you have any health insurance bills later from this, your health insurance is going to want the other part to cover them.

Plus, you could get an injury settlement from their insurance company. $5K - $10K is about the lowest amount you would receive, if you have injuries (on top of the medical bills)
    Soft tissue damage is tough to collect on but even a broken finger or chipped tooth can pay big.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    kyfdx said:

We have a couple of orthopedic/neurosurgery practices that have walk-in clinics. It's pretty awesome. It's a lot quicker than actually making an appointment. Worst case, about a 90 minute wait. Sometimes, 15 minutes.

My son was rear-ended by a car on his bicycle, about 4 years ago. Minor injuries, but totaled a $12K bike.

Defending against a suit of running over a kid on his bike is a case no insurance company would want to litigate.

That was like the time the electric utility boom truck stopped in front of me and proceeded to back over my hood. The driver admitted fault to the cop and the utility wrote me a check without argument.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,101

Admittedly, I know NOTHING about bicycles, but I know CF doesn’t cost that much these days (as a material). Amazon (and other online places) has CF bike frames in the $ hundreds, not $ thousands. Just sayin. Ain’t no way in hell I’d spend the same on a bicycle as for a decent used car or even a nice new motorcycle.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 243,847

kyfdx said:

venture said:

Woke up this morning and it's not as bad as I expected. No additional aches and pains. The main thing is the neck. Sort of like a slight stiff neck.

I would definitely go to the emergency room or an orthopedic walk-in clinic... today.
    You really need to document your injuries. If you have any health insurance bills later from this, your health insurance is going to want the other part to cover them.

Plus, you could get an injury settlement from their insurance company. $5K - $10K is about the lowest amount you would receive, if you have injuries (on top of the medical bills)
    Soft tissue damage is tough to collect on but even a broken finger or chipped tooth can pay big.
    It's all based on the medical bill amounts, mostly. The multiplier depends on the type of injury. As you note, broken things get a higher multiplier.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,564
    venture said:

FWIW, my experience has been that you're not sure what the effects of an accident (bicycle, motorcycle, automobile and, sadly (in my dotage), falling down) will be until about three days after the event. Take care of yourself. Makes me proud to own a Subaru, though, as has been mentioned, I don't need it to be included in the recent swarm.

As I saw him in the process of hitting me I was thinking, "So this is how it ends". Weird how something that fast seems to slow down.
    Years ago I was driving the Club Sport at Putnam Park Road Course and I decided to try a different line through turns 9 and 10. I wound up out on the marbles coming out of 9 and I quickly realized that there was no way I was going to make turn 10. I remember thinking, "I'm going to roll the car into the tree line and then I'll have to call my wife and tell her that I demolished the car." I don't think I even considered what might happen to me at all.
    As it turned out I was able to get the car rotated enough that I could shoot into the pit entrance. No one was the wiser. Except for me- I never tried to drive that line again.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

venture said:

It's all based on the medical bill amounts, mostly. The multiplier depends on the type of injury. As you note, broken things get a higher multiplier.
    A woman who T-boned my father claimed she chipped a tooth and sued him for a million dollars.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,846
    Defying the laws of physics and stop sign geography, the woman who T-boned my wife's 330 initially claimed that it was my wife's fault. Recanted the next day, probably fearing a deeper investigation of her cell phone records...
    Wife broke wrist, made a claim, said no to initial insurance offer and settled for ~$12k.
    BWM was totaled by insurance, became the Mazda CX-5.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,429

Defying the laws of physics and stop sign geography, the woman who T-boned my wife's 330 initially claimed that it was my wife's fault. Recanted the next day, probably fearing a deeper investigation of her cell phone records...
    Wife broke wrist, made a claim, said no to initial insurance offer and settled for ~$12k.

I am surprised insurance companies aren't mandating dashcams for daily drivers, or at least giving discounts.

People who lie about this stuff should receive fraud charges when found to be liars.
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,878
    fintail said:

I am surprised insurance companies aren't mandating dashcams for daily drivers, or at least giving discounts.

People who lie about this stuff should receive fraud charges when found to be liars.
    ————————————————
    Yeah, @fintail for the new Federal position of Insurance Investigation Commissioner.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,379

@qbrozen said:

@kyfdx said:

Say what? A $12,000 BICYCLE?! Is he aware that gold does not make for a good bike frame?

Well depending on what you want that could be cheap.
    https://www.performancebike.com/pinarello-dogma-f-disc-cadex-sram-red-axs-road-bike-summit-red-54cm-pi-22-fdsc-54-bkrd-1/p1465769?v=1455928

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,577
    Does that 12K include the Doping Motor? :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@qbrozen said:

@kyfdx said:

Well depending on what you want that could be cheap.
    https://www.performancebike.com/pinarello-dogma-f-disc-cadex-sram-red-axs-road-bike-summit-red-54cm-pi-22-fdsc-54-bkrd-1/p1465769?v=1455928

————————————————-
    You’d think for almost $17K they could provide a more comfortable seat like my Schwinn had. No wonder bikers walk funny. :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,046
    venture said:

Chalk up another one for Subaru. I guess.

A guy ran a redlight and hit me this morning in the Legacy. It looks totaled. I'll know more this afternoon when it gets to the shop.

Mouth kisses to whoever invented the side curtain air bags.

Pictures when it gets to the shop.

Glad to hear you are OK Venture. I don't know if you were here on Aug 16 2016 when I got hit by the giant garbage truck. I was told don't sign anything for about 3 years, as pain can show up later. We did start to feel some pain at the 3 year mark. We went to the lawyers and they said they couldn't do anything because we would have to have gone to physio and doctors appointments over the 3 year period. We don't want to spend time getting physio...I want to play tennis and pickleball, even if I am in pain.
    Anyway, my point is, if you think you may have an injury that will show up later....then get continuous treatment, don't show up 3 years later and expect you can be compensated.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    driver100 said:

venture said:

Chalk up another one for Subaru. I guess.

A guy ran a redlight and hit me this morning in the Legacy. It looks totaled. I'll know more this afternoon when it gets to the shop.

Mouth kisses to whoever invented the side curtain air bags.

Pictures when it gets to the shop.

Glad to hear you are OK Venture. I don't know if you were here on Aug 16 2016 when I got hit by the giant garbage truck. I was told don't sign anything for about 3 years, as pain can show up later. We did start to feel some pain at the 3 year mark. We went to the lawyers and they said they couldn't do anything because we would have to have gone to physio and doctors appointments over the 3 year period. We don't want to spend time getting physio...I want to play tennis and pickleball, even if I am in pain.
    Anyway, my point is, if you think you may have an injury that will show up later....then get continuous treatment, don't show up 3 years later and expect you can be compensated.

I visited my doctor the next morning. Everything is documented, but I'm not going to monitor every ache and pain.

Thanks for the advice though.

When something starts hurting any more, I wonder if I did something, or this is just how I am now. :#

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,379

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————-
    You’d think for almost $17K they could provide a more comfortable seat like my Schwinn had. No wonder bikers walk funny. :o

jmonroe

Actually those seats are much better for you as it allows better hip movement when peddling.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

$12k? Why that’s barely enough to buy a bicycle.🚴

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,577
    I've watched a couple of video's on cleaning a battery mower.
    If you use a hose and there is a problem, warranty is void.
    Another over hyped electric item.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMY3U_ivB7c
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,846

$12k? Why that’s barely enough to buy a bicycle.🚴
    Yeah, couldn't afford a bike so she bought a CX-5! Which begat the return to Bavaria in the form of the X3 as she lamented the lack of Bimmerness in the Mazda.
    She is now happy. Which at least buys me some time.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,353

Hmm lack of Bimmerness lead to bummerness

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,471
    edited April 26

Delete

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,234

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,191
    Tom Brady lost his charge? :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Yikes! It doesn’t look good for Hertz. I wonder if there’s another acquisition by Enterprise coming in the future. With that share price of $4.40 and a market cap of $1.34 billion they could definitely do it. I know during their bankruptcy we bought about 180k of their cars. Something must be going on because my buddy who works over there was asking if Enterprise was hiring.

• Options
    It must be Spring fever.

On my way back from satisfying my Chick-fil-A addiction this morning I was traveling on I-87 in moderate traffic at 70 when a motorcyclist flew by doing at least 100 if not more. Within a minute he disappeared around a curve a mile ahead. If anyone had changed lanes he would have been splattered amongst the trees. Then, when the speed limit dropped to 55 an Infinity blew by at about 90 while weaving in and out of all three lanes.

Of course there was the normal contingent of BMW drivers turning, switching lanes etc. without ever touching their turn signals.

I think I’ll stay home the rest of the day.😫😫😩

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,104

Sometimes is great to have nice neighbors and friends

I was converting a switch to a switch/outlet combo next to our peninsula down the shore and needed a 6” piece of wire to create a jumper for the neutral. Of course I didn’t have it… was going to the store and asked my neighbor if they had a piece and they did which saved me a trip to the store.

Also - nothing blew up and it’s all working. A win for today. A one beer job!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Sometimes is great to have nice neighbors and friends

I was converting a switch to a switch/outlet combo next to our peninsula down the shore and needed a 6” piece of wire to create a jumper for the neutral. Of course I didn’t have it… was going to the store and asked my neighbor if they had a piece and they did which saved me a trip to the store.

Also - nothing blew up and it’s all working. A win for today. A one beer job!

————————————————
    You’re lucky the power was in the box where the switch was. There are times when electricians put the power in the box where the light is (or whatever is being controlled by the switch) then they make a switch drop to the box where the switch is. If that was done, you wouldn’t have had a neutral in the box for the switch/receptacle combo you installed. It never hurts to get lucky.

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited April 27

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    You’re lucky the power was in the box where the switch was. There are times when electricians put the power in the box where the light is (or whatever is being controlled by the switch) then they make a switch drop to the box where the switch is. If that was done, you wouldn’t have had a neutral in the box for the switch/receptacle combo you installed. It never hurts to get lucky.

jmonroe

I had just replaced the light and noticed there was no feed there… that’s what prompted me to do it since I knew the feed was in the switch box.

It’s now against code to have the feed at the light. All switches must have a neutral at the box

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,334
    All my years of life experience and I have never understood electrical wiring.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,060

An accelerator pedal
    as it is meant to be, bottom hinged.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

@ab348 said:

I learned early. Grandpop was an electrician.

• Options
    ab348 said:

————————————————
    It’s not rocket surgery.

You need a good teacher and you have to ask the right question. Also you have to know how many cables (romex cables with 2 or 3 current carrying conductors in each cable) and know where the cables go (like to power, do the cables run to lights, switches or receptacles). Then it’s a simple matter of connecting them together correctly. Easy peasy.

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 51,049
    I try to limit my electrical work to replacing existing stuff. So swapping out a ceiling fixture for a new one, or a normal light switch with a dimmer. As long as I can take wires off and put them on the new piece in the same way I figure I am safe!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

@stickguy said:
    I try to limit my electrical work to replacing existing stuff. So swapping out a ceiling fixture for a new one, or a normal light switch with a dimmer. As long as I can take wires off and put them on the new piece in the same way I figure I am safe!

Essentially all I did. I needed a small piece of wire because the neutral was wire nutted together in the back of the box and I wouldn’t put two wires under one screw.

• Options
    stickguy said:

————————————————-
    Where I come from that’s being a wire-swapper. :|

jmonroe
  • Options

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————-

jmonroe

Sometimes just trying to fiddle with the fixture bracket far exceeds the actual wiring.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Essentially all I did. I needed a small piece of wire because the neutral was wire nutted together in the back of the box and I wouldn’t put two wires under one screw.

————————————————
    You’re right, putting 2 wires under a screw is a definite no-no. However, some receptacles, usually the heavy duty ones, have the screw attached to a plate and there are 2 slots under the plate that allows 2 wires to be put under that plate (you probably know what I’m talking about). So, when you tighten the screw the screw pushes the plate against the wires. In your case you’d have had to untwist the 2 neutral wires that were wire nutted together and straighten out the twisted wires so you could have put them under the plate. Sometimes when you do that the wires break off which could have left them a little short. So, I’d have done what you did by using a white pig-tail to make the neutral connection to the receptacle.

jmonroe
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe

Sometimes just trying to fiddle with the fixture bracket far exceeds the actual wiring.

————————————————-
    Yeah, I know what you mean. More about needing mechanical skills than wire swapping skills.

jmonroe
  • Options

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    You’re right, putting 2 wires under a screw is a definite no-no. However, some receptacles, usually the heavy duty ones, have the screw attached to a plate and there are 2 slots under the plate that allows 2 wires to be put under that plate (you probably know what I’m talking about). So, when you tighten the screw the screw pushes the plate against the wires. In your case you’d have had to untwist the 2 neutral wires that were wire nutted together and straighten out the twisted wires so you could have put them under the plate. Sometimes when you do that the wires break off which could have left them a little short. So, I’d have done what you did by using a white pig-tail to make the neutral connection to the receptacle.

jmonroe

Love those type of devices that have the plate. All the speed of back wiring but with the secure connection.

• Options
    I got ambitious today while cleaning up the remains of the damage from the ice/snow storm a few weeks ago. I had cut up some Cedar trees into 8’-10’ lengths and since that’s a rot resistant wood I used it to make a bridge over a small stream that runs through my lower property. I used scrap wood from a previous deck restoration and boards from the old fallen down greenhouse to make decking. It doesn’t look too fancy but now I can drive a riding mower across to an acre of land that previously had been inaccessible.

As a bonus I cleaned up a lot of junk that had been bugging me.

• Options
    I did that at my old house. we had a swingset I had built (lots of 4x4s and other lumber) and at some point when the kids were grown I got tired of it, so took it down. but that meant getting rid of the parts. A few of the 4x4 uprights got laid across the drainage ditch behind my fence and some of the boards got nailed across them to make a walk bridge so I didn't have to jump the ditch or walk through it. and that much less material to dispose of.

• Options

I got ambitious today while cleaning up the remains of the damage from the ice/snow storm a few weeks ago. I had cut up some Cedar trees into 8’-10’ lengths and since that’s a rot resistant wood I used it to make a bridge over a small stream that runs through my lower property. I used scrap wood from a previous deck restoration and boards from the old fallen down greenhouse to make decking. It doesn’t look too fancy but now I can drive a riding mower across to an acre of land that previously had been inaccessible.

————————————————-
    Where’s the pic of that masterpiece?

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,046

It must be Spring fever.

On my way back from satisfying my Chick-fil-A addiction this morning I was traveling on I-87 in moderate traffic at 70 when a motorcyclist flew by doing at least 100 if not more. Within a minute he disappeared around a curve a mile ahead. If anyone had changed lanes he would have been splattered amongst the trees. Then, when the speed limit dropped to 55 an Infinity blew by at about 90 while weaving in and out of all three lanes.

Of course there was the normal contingent of BMW drivers turning, switching lanes etc. without ever touching their turn signals.

I think I’ll stay home the rest of the day.😫😫😩

That would be an average day in Florida, you see similar scenes about every 15 minutes while driving.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,564
    edited April 29
    My daily commute has become somewhat more congested than I prefer; I definitely won't regret leaving office after one term. On the upside,the Wrangler runs entirely on electric if the ambient temperature is above 40 degrees. I just cue up either the Missed Apex or the Ringer F1 podcasts and time passes relatively quickly.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    The insurance finally decided my Legacy is totaled. Took them a week. It took you guys about a minute after seeing the pictures.

I'll probably pick up the new one tomorrow. The new one - exactly like the old one.

I'm girding my loins for the fight with the F&I guy who doesn't do any "F" and does not even call your insurance agent anymore, so they don't do any "I" either. :#

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,522
    Good luck.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    You sound like my wife. She thinks I have a girlfriend down the hill.

• Options

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    You sound like my wife. She thinks I have a girlfriend down the hill.
    ————————————————-
    Don’t you?

jmonroe
  • Options
    well, if he doesn't already, he certainly can now.