Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,920
    Did not have a chance to get a picture, but going down a side street near me today, I noticed someone has a new mailbox up. They took an automatic trans case, put a door on the front, and mounted it on a pole. It's hysterical.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,953
    I was alive when Top Gun came out, and probably part of the target audience. However, I have never been able to sit through it. Have never been much of a Tom Cruise fan.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,637

The Top Gun 2 trailer is out.
    Actors are looking a bit old, but flying scenes and music still seem good.

Looks like some good flight scenes. However I prefer the stunt flying in this old 1980 movie:

At one point in the filming the navy pilot came within 100 feet of splashing himself when he lost airspeed and had to kick in afterburners just above the deck.

I like the original TG. If those were the best scenes it seemed pretty lame to me. Looked like the plane scenes were computer generated.
    OTOH, I think they would have to pay me $5000 to sit through "Cats".

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,704
    stickguy said:

Did not have a chance to get a picture, but going down a side street near me today, I noticed someone has a new mailbox up. They took an automatic trans case, put a door on the front, and mounted it on a pole. It's hysterical.

We need pics of that!

My family runs a transmission shop in the area, they would get a huge kick out of that

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

qbrozen said:

I was alive when Top Gun came out, and probably part of the target audience. However, I have never been able to sit through it. Have never been much of a Tom Cruise fan.

Not a huge Cruise fan either, but Top Gun is a great movie and I’ll admit I’m excited for the sequel.

It’s also still a great movie on a home theater system, despite its age.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,497
    Was at a car show last weekend.....mostly British iron. Saw a guy pull up in a Stinger GT. We started talking as we were looking around at the different MGs, Triumphs, etc.

I told him I almost pulled the trigger on a Stinger last year. He said he loved the car, but hated the service.

He said he has some build quality and material quality issues with the car, but has had to fight tooth and and nail with 3 different KIA dealers to get them fixed. That was the one thing that kept me from buying one.....the dealerships that sold them.

Still....he showed me his...the grey ceramic metallic exterior and red interior.....super sharp car.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    My ex wanted me to take her to see Cats on Broadway many years ago. I took her. To me, the worst waste of money I've ever spent.

Looking back, it should have been a sign of things to come.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124

Was at a car show last weekend.....mostly British iron. Saw a guy pull up in a Stinger GT. We started talking as we were looking around at the different MGs, Triumphs, etc.

I told him I almost pulled the trigger on a Stinger last year. He said he loved the car, but hated the service.

He said he has some build quality and material quality issues with the car, but has had to fight tooth and and nail with 3 different KIA dealers to get them fixed. That was the one thing that kept me from buying one.....the dealerships that sold them.

Still....he showed me his...the grey ceramic metallic exterior and red interior.....super sharp car.

Was that the British car show in Fairfield?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Was that the British car show in Fairfield?
    Yep!

My ex wanted me to take her to see Cats on Broadway many years ago. I took her. To me, the worst waste of money I've ever spent.

Did anyone really like Cats....or do people think they have to say they liked it? I don't get it, and the cat suits in the movie look really creepy......scarier than Friday the 13th.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,654
    I don't think a dog person should ever get involved with a cat person. They'll fight like cats and dogs. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,654
    Back to cars, I posted this over in CCBA but it may also be of interest to some here. Automotive News reports that Ford has informed its dealers to fix those problematic Fiesta and Focus DSG automatic transmissions for free, apparently regardless of whether under warranty or otherwise:

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/ford-tells-us-dealers-repair-small-car-transmissions-free

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• berriberri Posts: 10,059
    Take a look at today's Detroit Free Press. That offer apparently isn't exactly what it sounds.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,751
    edited July 19
    I think “Cats” was originally written as “Clowns” but they revised it because people are freaked at clowns.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,409
    qbrozen said:

I agree except for his “Mission Impossible” films. I believe, as part of an ensemble cast, he does a great job.

2018 Mercedes S450

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,409
    driver100 said:

Did anyone really like Cats....or do people think they have to say they liked it? I don't get it, and the cat suits in the movie look really creepy......scarier than Friday the 13th.
    Perhaps even scarier than what you look like in your super hero costumes! 🤪😜😝😛

2018 Mercedes S450

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,221

That play is very popular with the “furries”, in fact I think it may have started that movement. If you don’t know what that is look it up as I might get booted if I described it further.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited July 19
    ab348 said:

Back to cars, I posted this over in CCBA but it may also be of interest to some here. Automotive News reports that Ford has informed its dealers to fix those problematic Fiesta and Focus DSG automatic transmissions for free, apparently regardless of whether under warranty or otherwise:

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/ford-tells-us-dealers-repair-small-car-transmissions-free

Hard to tell whether that’s being a stand up company or enlightened self-interest to get ahead of lawsuits. Either way, it’s good news for owners.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

That play is very popular with the “furries”, in fact I think it may have started that movement. If you don’t know what that is look it up as I might get booted if I described it further.
    I never heard of a Furry before....you see, I learn something every day around here....although this was something I would rather not have known :o

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Perhaps even scarier than what you look like in your super hero costumes! 🤪😜😝😛
    At least it is a super hero costume and not a "Furry" costume like oldfarmer had to bring to my attention :s

ab348 said:

I don't think a dog person should ever get involved with a cat person. They'll fight like cats and dogs. ;)

For the record, I have nothing against cats the animals, it is only the play that I wish I could unsee.

I think the music is what draws people to Cats. I mean Mister Mistoffelees and Memories are such good tunes. :) B)

tjc78 said:

I think the music is what draws people to Cats. I mean Mister Mistoffelees and Memories are such good tunes. :) B)

When someone actually refers to the Cats by name I get worried :o

Looks like Ford isn’t the only company that has screwed up:

• jwm40517jwm40517 Posts: 175
    I remember an old CSI TV show with a murder at a "Furry" convention, real freak show.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,910

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

Nevada's information about HOV lanes does not technically mention whether a dead body counts as a passenger. The law mentions qualifying vehicles for HOV lanes as those "transporting more than one person."

However, Police in Nevada have confirmed you do, in fact, have to be alive to be counted as a passenger in a car.

Yes, but Police don't have the power to interpret laws. That's the Court's/Judges responsibility. However, the Police do get to ENFORCE the laws as they interpret them, but it might not hold up, and no one likes having their cases thrown out or overturned, except maybe traffic court judges.
    Two things, first is how is it defined in the law? If it's not defined in the law itself then the courts will use the common definition in use at the time the law was written. My Webster's dictionary defines person as a living human being.

Secondly courts have already determined that persons have to be in their own separate seat. Hence Mrs. Andres sitting on your lap or your kidnapped victim locked in your trunk wouldn't count as a second person.
    I think Webster's is unique in that definition including "live" in "person." Either way, there's defintely disagreement among Dictionary writers.

When you say "courts have already determined" which State(s) are you referring to, and how high of a Court? The State Supreme Court could always overturn it, let alone the Federal one.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,953
    I first heard of furries in an episode of Entourage. haha.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

edited July 19
    Seems Ford knew about the faulty transmissions;
    The memo, first reported by the Detroit Free Press, followed a July 11 report by the newspaper that said Ford knew about the transmission defects yet sold them anyway.

Automotive News reported this month that former Ford CEO Mark Fields has been called to testify in ongoing litigation surrounding the troublesome gearboxes, which have haunted the automaker for years.

Ford reached a settlement in 2017 in a class-action lawsuit covering 1.9 million owners

Now Nissan admits their cars have transmission problems, shaking, stalling, hesitating etc.

And, some people wonder why I would pay extra to buy a quality MB, BMW or Audi. They may have a problem, but, it seems they find a cure, and I have never been exposed to actual poor workmanship.

One note.....you may recall the Audi with the clutch that gave out. It may have been a fault with the car, but, I now think there is an extremely good possibility the SIL may have been taking it out and tried to drive a standard...or tried to teach his kid how to drive one. I think that is more possible than a transmission fault. I have changed my mind lately, and I am going to give Audi the benefit of the doubt.