Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,223
    edited August 14
    fintail said:

It'd be interesting to see car theft rates between the "great" days of the past and today, as well. Maybe not as great as the more experienced generation endlessly pines on about.

Regarding car theft, a fun new trend is spoofed keyless entry/start systems.

You got a point there, in the old days we didn't have have the likes of the James Brothers, Billy the Kid, Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, Al Capone, road bandits, pirates and the such.

Checked a few sources and found in 1969(when even I could hot wire a car) there were 813 thefts per 100,000 cars. In 2017 that number had dropped to about 238.

Sounds like you young whipper snappers are either a more honest bunch or modern anti-theft tech is just too much for you.

For what it’s worth I still don’t lock my car or house but I’d be stupid to leave keys in the car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• berriberri Posts: 10,059
    A few years back a neighbor, who doesn't lock his truck, left his garage opener in it. When he went to leave for work, I guess the garage was a bit less cluttered.
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,722
    edited August 14
    stickguy said:

In the old days people were more creative. Get some sheet metal and fabricate a shield so the oil won’t hit the alternator.

A six pack of beer might come in handy too.

Actually, I thought about trying to do that. I watch Macgyver too, ya know.;-)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,937
    I say, if you want to milk along old cars to save money, you better be handy!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,669
    jipster said:

Any you guys have 2 grand I can borrow? I have a very nice vacuum cleaner I could use as collateral.

Dealership says valve cover gasket is not leaking on alternator, the timing cover is. Would have to drop the engine and transmission. 14 hours of labor. Car is.probably worth $6 or $7k private party. So maybe I'll just stock up on alternators to replace when they become fouled.:-(

It looks like a big job for sure. Listen to this guy's experience starting around the 3 minute mark:

If it is just the timing cover leak and not loose timing chain causing the other issues maybe you can find the spot where it is leaking and after a good cleaning apply some gasket goop?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

stickguy said:

I never use voice controls. Never even occurs to me to try. I did once in my sonata for Navi, and that was a total pain. Not worth the effort. Only use it in the TLX when car play is up to talk to Siri and send texts.

Since I had some work done on the Ford and they erased all the presets I’ve used the voice thingy more and more.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

thebean said:

Ever since Texas outlawed red light cameras, it’s become a veritable free-for-all at stoplights. I’ve seen 5 cars going through AFTER the light turned to red. Normally, I see 2-3 going through every red light after it turns at high volume intersections. I know there were problems with the cameras, but I really think they solved way more problems than they created. Unless you have a squad car parked at these high volume places, people are just going to charge on through since there is no deterrent. It’s really sad that people can’t obey the law these days. What’s next? Just walking out of stores with merchandise because they didn’t want to take the time to pay? With the minuscule number of checkers in most stores, it doesn’t appear to be hard to so, unless you take something worth $100 or more with a tag on it. Even then, most employees just ignore the alarm and continue on with what they are doing across the store.

Truly, I weep for the future of society and I’m glad I’ll probably be checking out in 5-10 years.

That’s nothing, I see people where I live ride down the shoulder passing multiple cars with their right turn signal on and make a right on red without even slowing down. It’s frustrating when someone uses your law abidingness (is that a word?) to flaunt the law. I secretly hope that someone would swing out and clip those drivers as they go by.

As to walking out without paying, some cities in CA won’t prosecute theft under $750 if the person is poor and the items are “necessities”.

Weep indeed.
    Where can you go on a shoulder to make a right turn? I'm curious where this road is? Sounds odd.
    A lot of roads around here you can go on the shoulder to pass cars stopped at a light.
    In NY that would be illegal. Being illegal stops almost no one.

jipster said:

Any you guys have 2 grand I can borrow? I have a very nice vacuum cleaner I could use as collateral.

Dealership says valve cover gasket is not leaking on alternator, the timing cover is. Would have to drop the engine and transmission. 14 hours of labor. Car is.probably worth $6 or $7k private party. So maybe I'll just stock up on alternators to replace when they become fouled.:-(

So now the work has gone from 7 hours to 14 hours?

I had a Toyota once that leaked power steering fluid on the alternator. Replaced 7 of them before I fixed a piece of metal over the alternator so it would run off to the side. Just kept the PS topped off.

What’s the status of the “timing issue”? I checked out those VCT solenoids and found price to replace runs from $200 to $600.

Yeah, I’m not trying that!

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,944
    Funny, I seldom use mine as I usually know where I am going, but I like having the map up. It's generally on from the time the ICE boots up until I shut off the car.
    ab348 said:

As I've posted previously, I seem allergic to nav. Maybe if it was on-screen all the time I would figure it out though.

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,944
    Interesting. Probably more of the latter, and to those who keep their keyless entry/start keys near the door, get a Faraday bag.

My mom lives in podunk, but locks everything always, as there's a tweaker issue in that part of the world. I don't lock my old car, as the prior owner lost the key, and the expense of having it re-keyed isn't worth it. There's nothing valuable in the car, stealing it would be ridiculous - I'd rather have someone open the door and look than break a window to do so.

Checked a few sources and found in 1969(when even I could hot wire a car) there were 813 thefts per 100,000 cars. In 2017 that number had dropped to about 238.

Sounds like you young whipper snappers are either a more honest bunch or modern anti-theft tech is just too much for you.

For what it’s worth I still don’t lock my car or house but I’d be stupid to leave keys in the car.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,202
    That time of year again and I spent lunchtime at Ag Progress Days with all the other vehicle shoppers :)

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Farmer, why not just reset the presets? That’s so easy, even driver could do it.

ab348 said:

jipster said:

It looks like a big job for sure. Listen to this guy's experience starting around the 3 minute mark:

If it is just the timing cover leak and not loose timing chain causing the other issues maybe you can find the spot where it is leaking and after a good cleaning apply some gasket goop?
    ab348 said:

jipster said:

Yeah, that's a major league job. I'm more in in the minor leagues.Maybe double A. Gasket.Goop worth a try. Don't think it's worth repairing. I can see some oil on my alternator. Doesn't look nearly as bad as it had before though.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,052
    jipster said:

ab348 said:

jipster said:

ab348 said:

jipster said:

Yeah, that's a major league job. I'm more in in the minor leagues.Maybe double A. Gasket.Goop worth a try. Don't think it's worth repairing. I can see some oil on my alternator. Doesn't look nearly as bad as it had before though.
    It usually doesn't when you keep wiping it off. :o

jmonroe
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,426
    berri said:

A few years back a neighbor, who doesn't lock his truck, left his garage opener in it. When he went to leave for work, I guess the garage was a bit less cluttered.

Our garage door openers are small fobs on our key chains. That means if we take our keys with us we also take the opener.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

andres3 said:

thebean said:

Ever since Texas outlawed red light cameras, it’s become a veritable free-for-all at stoplights. I’ve seen 5 cars going through AFTER the light turned to red. Normally, I see 2-3 going through every red light after it turns at high volume intersections. I know there were problems with the cameras, but I really think they solved way more problems than they created. Unless you have a squad car parked at these high volume places, people are just going to charge on through since there is no deterrent. It’s really sad that people can’t obey the law these days. What’s next? Just walking out of stores with merchandise because they didn’t want to take the time to pay? With the minuscule number of checkers in most stores, it doesn’t appear to be hard to so, unless you take something worth $100 or more with a tag on it. Even then, most employees just ignore the alarm and continue on with what they are doing across the store.

Truly, I weep for the future of society and I’m glad I’ll probably be checking out in 5-10 years.

That’s nothing, I see people where I live ride down the shoulder passing multiple cars with their right turn signal on and make a right on red without even slowing down. It’s frustrating when someone uses your law abidingness (is that a word?) to flaunt the law. I secretly hope that someone would swing out and clip those drivers as they go by.

As to walking out without paying, some cities in CA won’t prosecute theft under $750 if the person is poor and the items are “necessities”.

Weep indeed.
    Where can you go on a shoulder to make a right turn? I'm curious where this road is? Sounds odd.
    A lot of roads around here you can go on the shoulder to pass cars stopped at a light.
    In NY that would be illegal. Being illegal stops almost no one.
    It's illegal here too, but as you say it stops no one.

However I have seen potholes on the shoulder stop people in spectacular ways.

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,643

stickguy said:

I never use voice controls. Never even occurs to me to try. I did once in my sonata for Navi, and that was a total pain. Not worth the effort. Only use it in the TLX when car play is up to talk to Siri and send texts.

Since I had some work done on the Ford and they erased all the presets I’ve used the voice thingy more and more.
    How many presets are you missing? I can understand memory for radio, clock, seat settings, navi memory stuff....but, what did they lose that they shouldn't replace for you...or you can easily reset?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

stickguy said:

Farmer, why not just reset the presets? That’s so easy, even driver could do it.

Yeh, even I can find all my radio stations again. In fact, I have lost them on the home radio so many times I listed them. The clock I can do too!

stickguy said:

Pure laziness.

that is an excuse I can work with!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,735
    @oldfarmer50,
    Why do you even have preset stations on that car? When I brought my Mustang home, the first thing I did was put the antenna in the trunk. :)
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited

jipster said:

So now the work has gone from 7 hours to 14 hours?

I had a Toyota once that leaked power steering fluid on the alternator. Replaced 7 of them before I fixed a piece of metal over the alternator so it would run off to the side. Just kept the PS topped off.

What’s the status of the “timing issue”? I checked out those VCT solenoids and found price to replace runs from $200 to $600.
    That was the Mercury Milan that needed 7 hours for an engine tear.down. This is Mrs. Jipsters 2011 Hyundai Veracruz that needs 14 hours. So almost a full day of labor between between the two.

The latest on the Milan, I finally got an estimate.from the service advisor for a left and right VCT solenoid for $427. I think that is something I could do myself if I could find some decent information.

I was looking at that alternator a.little while ago, and yes jmonroe, this time I wiped some oil off. Wanted to leave it on before so dealership could see it. Thought it may better to leave the oil on...let that oil cake up on the alternator, instead of going inside. But... it is very tight where that alternator sits, I can barely see anything underneath it. Seems someone would come up with a cheap viable fix.

@oldfarmer50,
    Why do you even have preset stations on that car? When I brought my Mustang home, the first thing I did was put the antenna in the trunk. :)

I couldn't put the antenna away on any car as we have one heck of a station here in Chicago. For those familiar with MeTV they have a great radio station that would appeal to most people here. Classic rock that's not to hard with a massive play list.

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,337
    Does any one have experience with Amazon Flex? While watching a CNBC documentary they mentioned a program where Amazon uses private drivers --with their private cars -- to deliver packages for the last mile to achieve their same day delivery service.

They also mentioned that drivers make between $18 to $25 an hour picking up and delivering delivering packages. Compared to Uber this seems like a less risky hustle but given Amazon's penchant for on time deliveries and over-working its employees that sounds like a bad deal.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,357
    edited August 15
    I have experience only insofar as I have used their same day delivery service and seen packages delivered exactly as you describe.

Amazon delivery drivers have a pretty rough go - they track your metrics closely and if you aren't moving as quickly as they think you should be, they'll let you go. Think: no bathroom breaks. I try not to use same day delivery for just these reasons - only in pinch. For example, we lost all cold water to one of our sinks the other day and the only place that had the part in-stock was amazon and they had it for same-day delivery. I took it, but felt bad about it.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
  • thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,093
    In my opinion, Amazon is the new “salt mine”. My stepson worked there for a year and finally couldn’t stand the constant pressure to do more, more, more. I order from them only when I absolutely have to, when other stores don’t have what I need.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
    Ford's Dual-Clutch Transmission Continues To Be A Disaster
    Ford’s dual-clutch transmission, code-named DPS6 and used in its Fiesta and Focus, has been troubled for years. It’s the subject of a potential $4 billion lawsuit. It had Ford secretly telling dealers to fix it. Worse, Ford reportedly knew it was bad for years and failed to make fixes. Ford said today it would be extending warranties on some Fiestas and Focuses because of it, in what has surely been an utterly humiliating episode for the Blue Oval.

Like to treat all car makers equally to be fair and balanced.

FULL ARTICLE JALOPNIK

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,735
    edited August 15
    @driver100,
    I'll see your Ford transmission lawsuit and raise you BMW, Daimler and VW(May 2019). :)
    https://insideevs.com/news/348263/vw-bmw-daimler-collusion-emissions/

Could have kept my Mom's Fiesta with that transmission, but I hated it other than when you got on the highway into top gear. That was the only thing it was any good at. Any normal driving, it was horrible.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • berriberri Posts: 10,059
    You just upped the game from civil to criminal!