Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,112
    driver100 said:

A legend in his own mind! :p

And don't you forget it. B)

jmonroe
  • houdini2houdini2 Posts: 366

PF_Flyer said:

thebean said:

Wasn’t there an Inconsiderate Drivers II forum somewhere on the General forum listing? I enjoyed reading about all the clueless rearends driving around, but it doesn’t seem to be here. Maybe I’m missing it, or I’m the clueless one. 🙂

There was one but it got shut down. Not exactly sure why but I can guess.
    Inconsiderate Drivers didn't get shut down. Just driven down the discussion list by the new discussions that get made all the time.
    It was inconsiderate drivers II that got shut down. As far as I know the original inconsiderate drivers is still up and I had it bookmarked but took it off when inconsiderate drivers II came along. IIRC there wasn't much going on there and inconsiderate II was made to bring the topic back on the discussion list.

Still not sure why #2 was shut down.
    Yes, that was very inconsiderate !!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,884
    I used to be myopic, read out of one eye and distance out of the other. Wore glasses full time. Had the cataract removed in my left eye in 2013. No more glasses but, and this is a big but, have to wear reading glasses now to read!! Kinda shucks but better than wearing them 24/7. Went to the Dollar Store and bought about 10 pairs of the 2.50 reading glasses and put them all over the house. We both use them.
    I knew this going in as I asked a lot of questions. Bottom line, wanted out of glasses to see distances and to drive. Wearing reading glasses is a small price to pay.

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,112

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I doubt JM got funnier. More likely they only implemented the likes and LOL stuff a couple years ago!

Actually, if you do the math, I did get funnier and by a factor of 4.

FWIW, doing the math again, more people like me too. Coincidentally, also by a factor of 4.

Who knew? :o

jmonroe
    Trying to resist but can't.

Yeah I hear that people laugh everytime you walk into a room. B)
    And then they want to know how to get the best price when they're car shopping. ;)

jmonroe
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,791
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I doubt JM got funnier. More likely they only implemented the likes and LOL stuff a couple years ago!

Actually, if you do the math, I did get funnier and by a factor of 4.

FWIW, doing the math again, more people like me too. Coincidentally, also by a factor of 4.

Who knew? :o

jmonroe
    Trying to resist but can't.

Yeah I hear that people laugh everytime you walk into a room. B)
    And then they want to know how to get the best price when they're car shopping. ;)

jmonroe
    ....and you tell them, don't buy the real thing, save money and buy a wannabe. :D

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

I had laser surgery in 1995....I remember because I just got my Jeep Cherokee Ltd. So nice, not losing glasses, seeing the clock in the night, not having to put on glasses when getting out of bed, not falling asleep with glasses on, having glasses get steamed up, leaving glasses somewhere and not being able to find them, having to keep up with the newest styles, using contacts for sports.
    I imagine having lenses put in to correct cataracts will have the same advantages.

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,883
    I never have to worry about leaving my glasses anywhere... I’m so bad without them I wouldn’t make it out the room.

I wear contacts most of the time, but yes they are a pain

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,354

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• @stickguy said:

speaking of missing money, recently someone that works with my wife said she saw out name on the NJ missing funds list

http://www.missingmoney.com/

is a group of several states that share their information on unclaimed funds. Otherwise, check each state in which you lived or did business for unclaimed funds.

That's great guys, I live in SC.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,122
    I didn’t even click it, but the link text is enough for me to say .... is ANY new corvette EVER a good idea for a teenager??

'10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 49-car history and counting!

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,502
    qbrozen said:

I didn’t even click it, but the link text is enough for me to say .... is ANY new corvette EVER a good idea for a teenager??
    Agree, it appears that Captain Obvious is at it again.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I got into enough trouble with an 89 Grand Marquis ... I can’t imagine a Vette (especially the beasts they are today)

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• fintailfintail Posts: 48,105
    Sometimes parents with money are the dumbest ones of all. More than one C8 will go to a teen, who will have an incident with a tree or a pole or another car, and end up being bailed out of accountability.

Speaking of the C8, it's the first new Corvette I have even a passing interest in, in my adult life. Most of the ones I've liked have been older than me.

I remember one teenager at my high school got a nice new yellow Corvette.
    Totaled it in the first week.
    I never heard what they gave him after that....I don't think he had a car after.

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,550
    I don’t know of one parent that bought their kid a car when I was a teen. We had cars, but we all bought them ourselves. If someone had a parent that bought them a car, we’d all want to be adopted by that parent.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    My high school had 2400 students.....we had a wide variety of society in attendance, from every possible level of society.

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,514
    edited August 23

Well this has been a discouraging day. I only have 393 LOL's. Other's have 1000? My feelings are hurt. My self esteem is low. Don't we even get participation trophies? LOL

Here is my charity LOL. :D

But then I have only 160 LOLs. I guess I need much more charity.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

houdini2 said:

Full circle, BMW copying Lexus.

Probably because creative executive people change their employers.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited August 23
    remove

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,628
    edited August 23
    fintail said:

Sometimes parents with money are the dumbest ones of all. More than one C8 will go to a teen, who will have an incident with a tree or a pole or another car, and end up being bailed out of accountability.

A long time friend had talked about car for his new driver son. I said get him a few years old Optima or Sonata or an older Impala or leSabre/Park Avenue, Crown Vic. He would have an accident. They all had airbags. Nope.

Kid had friends who were a Mustang club. Got him a 2-year old Mustang in grabber blue. Kid had some settlement money in his name from lawsuit against school.

Not many months and lots of modifications that the peer group thought needed on an already fast car, and car is totaled on snowy roads--new driver, summer tires, snow. What could go wrong.

I remind friend that I was right. He agrees.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,906
    I'm sure this is everywhere, but locally I see some very young people who are recent arrivals from overseas driving some very fast and expensive cars. You occasionally hear of incidents where they get written off, and even more occasionally, where one of them is badly injured or worse.

A year or so back there was a moment where our idiot Prime Minister made some ill-advised remarks that offended the Saudi govt and they in turn announced they would be recalling all of their foreign nationals attending university here, which was a significant number. All of their personal possessions needed to be liquidated here if they could not take them with them. One of the local mosques organized a day for them to sell their vehicles, and it had a robust turnout. Not very many beaters there, it looked like a used car lot at a BMW or M-B dealer. Of course eventually all was smoothed over and most of those folks stayed here and continued their educations. Probably did wonders for the local BMW and M-B stores when they had to replace their rides.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I went to high school in at least semi-podunk (one high school in town, graduating class under 200), and cars were a normal thing due to minimal transit. Several kids had new cars - I remember a Civic, Toyota 4x4 (created some jealous snickers, but the driver was a good kid and I think the truck was more his dad's idea), then-new bugeye Integra (that one created some snickers too), Cavalier, late run VW Fox, etc. Some had nicer late model cars, too, some now-obscure things like a 4WS Prelude or NX2000. Most of my driving to school was in a Tempo (which I kept pristine, and people thought it was much newer) or a 66 Galaxie. Not much high speed shenanigans to be had in either, although the latter could burn rubber.

I don’t know of one parent that bought their kid a car when I was a teen. We had cars, but we all bought them ourselves. If someone had a parent that bought them a car, we’d all want to be adopted by that parent.

I agree with your thinking. If I was blessed with a kid and helped them get a car, it would be an older domestic barge or an old MB - safe, not much fun, can't really mod it, generally solid if you find the right car. And still might be kind of interesting or stylish.

I've always had somewhat offbeat tastes, and didn't pine for a Mustang or 4x4 when I was in high school.

A long time friend had talked about car for his new driver son. I said get him a few years old Optima or Sonata or an older Impala or leSabre/Park Avenue, Crown Vic. He would have an accident. They all had airbags. Nope.

Kid had friends who were a Mustang club. Got him a 2-year old Mustang in grabber blue. Kid had some settlement money in his name from lawsuit against school.

Not many months and lots of modifications that the peer group thought needed on an already fast car, and car is totaled on snowy roads--new driver, summer tires, snow. What could go wrong.

I remind friend that I was right. He agrees.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,115
    My middle son had a 10-year old Buick LeSabre as his second car (he totaled the first one, another old car he paid for himself. Took awhile to save up again). Great first (or second) car for a teen. Too bad they stopped making them.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 33,400
    Daughter got the wel scratched up 90k Volvo S40. Small, slow tank. Perfect.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,496
    2001 Ford Taurus here for 6 years until the transmission kicked. Then a cheap lease on a Legacy.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
    This would make a good vehicle for a high school student:

edited August 23
    89 Grand Marquis bought for a song from my Grandfather. I ran it for about 2 years to 100K. I traded it after I drove it with a failed TV bushing causing the trans to slip in 4th gear.

Replaced it with a 93 Taurus LX 3.8.... in hindsight I should have just fixed the trans. The 93 was a turd.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,354
    Would you pay $250,000 for this? Someone did.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0819-379986/1967-shelby-gt500-fastback/

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,628
    edited August 24
    I could be almost as happy with this. This really hits my buttons.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT