Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,475

Cut to the chase, I asked him about the Genesis and why there were no dealerships in the area. He corrected me and said his Hyundai Dealership did indeed sell Genesis. Matter of fact, he said his store was the highest volume Genesis store in the country (maybe they didn’t have to sell many of them to make that claim). We went on for a while talking about how the whole Genesis brand and having separate dealerships really didn’t seem to be working. He agreed. He said Hyundai wasn’t offering much in the way of incentives for the dealerships to build new facilities like Acura did when they first offered dealerships.

There is a stand alone Genesis place near me. It's actually an extension of a Hyundai dealership but it's in it's own separate location with it's own building and small lot two doors down the road. There is a unrelated retail business separating the two.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,489

The reality is that they need to get the old lens out, which in my case was a real pain with one eye, the other one not so much. The lenses they put in its place are shaped to bring your vision back to normal. That's the magic part -- the measurements they took of my eyes prior to the surgery were what made the new lenses so good. The surgery can be difficult, but the result is very much worth it.

Yes, they measured my lenses and then my acuity so the new lenses would align with my corrected vision when inserted. They told me I would probably need glasses for medium vision (like seeing the speedometer in the car) and reading vision. I just worry about being able to drive in order to shop for food after they do each eye and until I can have glasses made.

2018 Mercedes S450

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Well, I was at the eye doctor this morning to have my lenses measured for replacement prior to my cataract surgery. It’s scheduled for November 26th. I am going to have to pay $1675 per eye to have laser surgery instead of the surgeon using a scalpel, as strongly suggested by my brother. I am having regular lenses put in - otherwise it would have cost me $2500 more per eye. I have worn glasses all my life (started when I was 9 years old) so I decided to not have the corrective lenses put in.

I am just concerned about getting around without being able to drive until both eyes are done.

I thought laser surgery had pretty much replaced the scalpel. That’s what my wife got on both eyes.
    Don't they still have to make an incision with a scalpel? If they do it is nothing....eye has no nerves. I had laser corrective surgery (not a lens...just laser) in 1996 and it has been fine since then.
    I know lots of people who have had lenses for cataracts put in and they all love their new sight...better than ever. One friend had one eye done last week, will have another eye done in a few weeks......wore a patch for a day is all.
    Lenses are done in Canada at no cost, unless you want upgraded lenses like bifocal lenses.
    The laser surgery is preferred over use of a scalpel because it reduces the possibility of infection post-op.

2018 Mercedes S450

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,756
    abacomike said:

The reality is that they need to get the old lens out, which in my case was a real pain with one eye, the other one not so much. The lenses they put in its place are shaped to bring your vision back to normal. That's the magic part -- the measurements they took of my eyes prior to the surgery were what made the new lenses so good. The surgery can be difficult, but the result is very much worth it.

Yes, they measured my lenses and then my acuity so the new lenses would align with my corrected vision when inserted. They told me I would probably need glasses for medium vision (like seeing the speedometer in the car) and reading vision. I just worry about being able to drive in order to shop for food after they do each eye and until I can have glasses made.
    Order groceries from one of those home delivery companies....or sign up for Uber.

Some surgeons prefer using the blade, some laser.....cases made for each if you care to read a lot of info;
    https://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/blade-vs-bladeless.htm
    Friend who just had a lens put in one eye says he is amazed at the clarity and brightness of colors. Having the other eye done soon....one at a time.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• stickguystickguy Posts: 33,314
    Just get some inexpensive readers at Walmart to tide you over.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,539

Cut to the chase, I asked him about the Genesis and why there were no dealerships in the area. He corrected me and said his Hyundai Dealership did indeed sell Genesis. Matter of fact, he said his store was the highest volume Genesis store in the country (maybe they didn’t have to sell many of them to make that claim). We went on for a while talking about how the whole Genesis brand and having separate dealerships really didn’t seem to be working. He agreed. He said Hyundai wasn’t offering much in the way of incentives for the dealerships to build new facilities like Acura did when they first offered dealerships.

There is a stand alone Genesis place near me. It's actually an extension of a Hyundai dealership but it's in it's own separate location with it's own building and small lot two doors down the road. There is a unrelated retail business separating the two.
    Loved talking to the GM of the dealership. He wasn’t all roses when talking about the Genesis handling of the new rollout as a separate, stand alone dealership. He pointed out the same foibles that most of us pointed out in these threads.

He said he doubted his ownership group (one of the large dealership groups in the area) would even consider a separate, standalone building for Genesis for 5 years. And, that may be a pipe dream, too. He stated the volume of the Genesis brand just won’t support a standalone store. So, given they’re the number one volume dealer for Genesis, they will probably not be forced to make that sort of investment any time in the foreseeable future.

By the way, he said they’ve sold more Hyundai Palisades than any other dealership in the country. Embarrassed, I told him I didn’t even know what that was. It’s their large SUV.

Who knew?
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    Palisade looks really nice and reviews seem to be good. KIA has a competing new SUV, but, it seems most favor the Palisade. I guess they can sell more cars having 2 separate brands...but, wonder if they would be better off concentrating on one?

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,858
    driver100 said:

So I go to one of these stations where you fill up your car with gas and you can get a car wash for $10. I fill it with gas, but the receipt doesn't come out of the gas pump. I push buttons, pound the glass.....finally it comes out. When I was there 2 weeks before they had a number on the receipt....you use the 5 digit number to use the car wash. I usually write the numbers down in ink, so I can actually see them when I get to the panel for the wash.

I don't see numbers but there is one of those square computer symbols on the back. While I am staring at that I kind of close the gas cover but, I guess not all the way.

I go through the car wash....leave. After about 15 minutes on the way home I see the message on my dash, gas cover not closed. I stop and see the cover is missing.

My MB dealer is 5 minutes away, I go in. They say they can get me a new cover, but it will have to be painted then installed. If I want the decals that go inside the cover....tire pressure, octane etc that is $30. Probably cost $300 to $400 complete. He says if I can find my old cover it would save a lot of money.

So, I drive back, 15 minutes to the car wash. I look inside and I can see my cover and the inner liner inside on the floor....I run in to get them and there is all this whirring noises, and then I think....WHAT IF THIS THING SUDDENLY STARTS UP, or what if a car enters. I pick up the pieces and run out, jump in the car and go to MB dealer.

Look on the bright side, could be worse, at least you remembered to close the windows and sunroof. :laughing:

Normally I find that if the pump doesn't spit out a receipt you can go inside and they will print one there.

How did you get the car wash to operate without the 5-digit number code?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Another reason I never take my car in a car wash with brushes!

On my TLX that would be a much bigger issue. It was capless filler. The seal is basically the underside of the lid.

Going inside would have been my next move........but, I didn't want to go in, wait in line and explain if I could get the receipt from the pump.
    They changed the 5 digit number code to a bar-code type....you slide the bar code into the machine before the wash....the old one had buttons you pressed.

stickguy said:

Another reason I never take my car in a car wash with brushes!

On my TLX that would be a much bigger issue. It was capless filler. The seal is basically the underside of the lid.

I usually go to the DIY car wash.....but, it is hard to do the wheels that well. It ends up costing $5 to do the car properly, for an extra $4 or $5 it comes out a lot better in the auto one, unless you have to replace a gas cover. :s

Driveway. Bucket. Mitt. Hose.

Simple, and cheap!

Just like me. :p

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,854
    edited September 12
    I used to never bring my cars through an automatic. Now with 2 little ones and not much free time, I use the auto.

What do I care about some swirl marks? It's going back in three years anyway. I do from time to time a full bucket wash and detail, but for quick cleanups the automatic it is.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,473
    Before Sam was born I used to wash both cars by hand weekly - a ritual. Then right after he was born, I started using automatic washes because I didn't have time. Now he likes to do it with me, so I'm back to washing by hand as a means of keeping his little hands occupied.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,858
    edited September 12
    I dunno if we still have any of the old spinning-bush automatic washes here. Every one I've seen in recent years is touchhless. Seem to do an OK job.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,110
    abacomike said:

If you’re over 65 Medicare only pays the amount of the traditional cataract surgery, so the laser cost is much more. Some people don’t have the money for it. In my case the laser corrected all 3 distances — far, middle and close up. The only catch is I can’t read in low light situations, like at a nice restaurant, without turning the phone flashlight on. But I don’t need glasses at all. It’s pretty amazing.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,772
    edited September 12
    driver100 said:

OK, I was debating about telling the story of my very foolish gas station mishap or not....but, hey, I'm not proud.

So I go to one of these stations where you fill up your car with gas and you can get a car wash for $10. I fill it with gas, but the receipt doesn't come out of the gas pump. I push buttons, pound the glass.....finally it comes out. When I was there 2 weeks before they had a number on the receipt....you use the 5 digit number to use the car wash. I usually write the numbers down in ink, so I can actually see them when I get to the panel for the wash.

I don't see numbers but there is one of those square computer symbols on the back. While I am staring at that I kind of close the gas cover but, I guess not all the way.

I go through the car wash....leave. After about 15 minutes on the way home I see the message on my dash, gas cover not closed. I stop and see the cover is missing.

My MB dealer is 5 minutes away, I go in. They say they can get me a new cover, but it will have to be painted then installed. If I want the decals that go inside the cover....tire pressure, octane etc that is $30. Probably cost $300 to $400 complete. He says if I can find my old cover it would save a lot of money.

So, I drive back, 15 minutes to the car wash. I look inside and I can see my cover and the inner liner inside on the floor....I run in to get them and there is all this whirring noises, and then I think....WHAT IF THIS THING SUDDENLY STARTS UP, or what if a car enters. I pick up the pieces and run out, jump in the car and go to MB dealer.

They order a hinge, tell me if they can use the original piece they would do that. If for some reason I need a new door they will order that later...one day to arrive, one day to paint, but, they would try to fix it first.

Took it in yesterday. Expected it would cost $300 to $400. They shuttled me home at 1:30, picked me up at 3:30, car was completely washed inside and out......cost was $150.

I am so pleased....I haven't had a ticket in over 8 years....so this was probably less than a traffic ticket. And, from now on, I will double check the gas cover door is closed before going into a car wash.

Mercedes might be expensive to keep, but, I wonder if another dealer would have tried to use my old part, or would have the expertise to repair the car using the original part. I am impressed by their honesty and nice work.

So, to summarize, you ended up getting a ($10+$150) $160 car wash ;).
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,319
    edited September 12
    driver100 said:

OK, I was debating about telling the story of my very foolish gas station mishap or not....but, hey, I'm not proud.

They order a hinge, tell me if they can use the original piece they would do that. If for some reason I need a new door they will order that later...one day to arrive, one day to paint, but, they would try to fix it first.

Took it in yesterday. Expected it would cost $300 to $400. They shuttled me home at 1:30, picked me up at 3:30, car was completely washed inside and out......cost was $150.

I am so pleased....I haven't had a ticket in over 8 years....so this was probably less than a traffic ticket. And, from now on, I will double check the gas cover door is closed before going into a car wash.

Mercedes might be expensive to keep, but, I wonder if another dealer would have tried to use my old part, or would have the expertise to repair the car using the original part. I am impressed by their honesty and nice work.

So if the dealer washed you car inside and out why didn’t you just rip the gas door off and take it to the dealer in the first place? ;)

When the door handle broke on my 95’ Lincoln my indie guy had no trouble ordering the part but it had to be painted. The idiot who did it painted it white but the car was beige. Big waste of 40 bucks. I went to auto zone, picked out the closest rattle can color (Chevy) and painted it myself. I think I matched it pretty good.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Today, we were inundated with rain and wind as another tropical wave moves toward Florida and the northern Bahamas. I was driving on the Turnpike north and had to pull over it was raining so hard. It’s supposed to continue like this through Sunday. Ahhh, summer in South Florida! 🤪😜😗

2018 Mercedes S450

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,088
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Some of my tennis guys were talking about memory yesterday. This was something I was amazed at, but didn't think anyone else thought about it. We decided really good car salesmen have terrific memories!

I last saw my sales rep about 2 years ago. I saw him working at his desk when I was there for service, and I thought I would say hello, and I started to explain who I was and he said he knew who I was and he asked me how Mrs D was (by name). I would be terrible at being able to do that.

Mike....do you have a good memory for people's names? Are there some tricks you can use to recall who someone is?

I stopped by the Hyundai dealer where I bought my Elantra many decades ago maybe 5 years after buying it. The salesman remembered me after all those years and referred to me by name.

The lady who owns the tax firm I work at has a fantastic memory for clients. Even clients she saw once and she remembers even the most mundane details about them. Yet she often forgets things like where she put her keys that morning.
    Sometimes the guys go to a restaurant for breakfast. 6 of us order different things, eggs over easy, well done bacon, rye toast etc., Jenna will remember everything, doesn't write it down, and never make a mistake.

I feel sorry for her husband, if he ever does something wrong she will never let him forget it!
    How did you remember Mrs. j's first name? :o

jmonroe
    yuck. Though I see it is only a wrap.

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

So, to summarize, you ended up getting a ($10+$150) $160 car wash ;).
    lol........If the dealer didn't take over an hour to wash my car the last time I took it there for a complimentary wash I would have taken it there in the first place and saved $160.

driver100 said:

So if the dealer washed you car inside and out why didn’t you just rip the gas door off and take it to the dealer in the first place? ;)

When the door handle broke on my 95’ Lincoln my indie guy had no trouble ordering the part but it had to be painted. The idiot who did it painted it white but the car was beige. Big waste of 40 bucks. I went to auto zone, picked out the closest rattle can color (Chevy) and painted it myself. I think I matched it pretty good.

Matches great....the gas cap cover is completely hidden....can't see it at all.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Some of my tennis guys were talking about memory yesterday. This was something I was amazed at, but didn't think anyone else thought about it. We decided really good car salesmen have terrific memories!

I last saw my sales rep about 2 years ago. I saw him working at his desk when I was there for service, and I thought I would say hello, and I started to explain who I was and he said he knew who I was and he asked me how Mrs D was (by name). I would be terrible at being able to do that.

Mike....do you have a good memory for people's names? Are there some tricks you can use to recall who someone is?

I stopped by the Hyundai dealer where I bought my Elantra many decades ago maybe 5 years after buying it. The salesman remembered me after all those years and referred to me by name.

The lady who owns the tax firm I work at has a fantastic memory for clients. Even clients she saw once and she remembers even the most mundane details about them. Yet she often forgets things like where she put her keys that morning.
    Sometimes the guys go to a restaurant for breakfast. 6 of us order different things, eggs over easy, well done bacon, rye toast etc., Jenna will remember everything, doesn't write it down, and never make a mistake.

I feel sorry for her husband, if he ever does something wrong she will never let him forget it!
    How did you remember Mrs. j's first name? :o

jmonroe
    I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me.

Some things just stick in your mind........

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,319
    Well let’s see, a model year old with only a $700 discount, looked like a junkyard rust bucket and depreciates like the Titanic floats. Time to get out the checkbook.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,475
    stickguy said:

yuck. Though I see it is only a wrap.

yeah it's a wrap but why?

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• houdini2houdini2 Posts: 360
    edited September 13
    driver100 said:

Palisade looks really nice and reviews seem to be good. KIA has a competing new SUV, but, it seems most favor the Palisade. I guess they can sell more cars having 2 separate brands...but, wonder if they would be better off concentrating on one?

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis needs to be completely revamped. Take the best of Kia and Hyundai, cars and personnel, and blend them together in one company and operation. Then use the savings to make Genesis a true luxury marq. They could be a force to be reckoned with. I suppose there must be some internal problem that keeps them from going this route, but they need to fix it.