Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,187
    As BMWs become softer and less entertaining to drive I'm starting to look downmarket; there are more than a few "hot hatches" that I'm absolutely certain I would enjoy driving much more than any non //M BMW.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,385
    Mike: Nice car, nice pix. Takes me back to a simpler, happier time when my folks owned at Tierra del Mar in Boca...

Mid day work run today, took a different route over to Mile 16 to watch the Marathon runners for a bit. Amazing, the steady flow of runners and the pace. 45 degrees, raining and they all looked much more content than me after a simple 1.75 mile jog to watch them! Saw a gentleman in a full Uncle Sam outfit, a runner with a big lobster hat and carrying a hiking stick and many rather in shape women... Shirts from Canada, Greece, Italy, US Marines and, of course, locals. After watching and cheering for about 10 minutes, we turned around and ran another 3.25 miles to try and make ourselves feel more macho. Shoulda worn gloves, my hands are finally coming back to life!

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,855
    The GLk and prior generation C class are my two favorite MBs.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,591
    Nice to hear from someone other than the two who seem to drive this board.

Would that Richard would return, but I'm beginning to understand, oh never mind.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,294
    @laurasdada - Which motor do you have in your XF? The 3.0 Super Charged V6?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

Hi, Bradd: Yes, that is correct. Nice motor, but not an "R." Plenty for me, though, 340hp, 332lb/ft tq.

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,594
    abacomike said:

@driver100:

Well, we're all anxious to find out if you were able to get that Mercedes your wife wanted.  Hope your dealer was able to procure it for you.

The GLK the dealer wanted to get wasn't available. However, they found one almost the same that is on a boat on it's way to port.....should be ready the first week of May.

There aren't many option choices, just 2 packages and ours will have both. It will be white with beige interior. The only difference will be the wood trim will be the lighter wood rather than dark ash.

It all sounds good so I will attempt to change my signature, and write to Audi Canada to tell them the good news.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

carnaught said:

driver: The GLK should be a great vehicle for your wife (and you). It has been on my radar for some time, and I really like the combination of style, luxury and utility without being a Goliath. Good luck, and keep us posted.

With all this talk of buying, I have to say that I am building more and more of an appetite before my Nov. 1st Lexus lease is up. Another Mercedes is definitely a consideration, probably a C300, but we'll see. It's just for a daily driver/"white-collar"workhorse, and since with increasing age my posterior is favoring a softer quieter ride, plus my pain whenever a road pebble hits my car, it will not be anything too too fancy.

Carnaught; The C Class is probably a great riding and handling car, but, if you like to sit a bit high and if forward vision is important, then it may not meet your expectations.

If you like the current GLK then keep in mind it is going to get radically changed for 2016. Probably rounded fenders, and a pop-up GPS screen which is all the rage now. My wife and I prefer the GPS/Media screen be built into the dash. The GLK is a bit small in the cargo area, way less room than my E. But, the rear seats go down if need be and although the reviews say the backseat is smallish, I 5'10" had no problem getting in and out or sitting in the rear.

It has a very smooth ride, it feels solid....thumps over bumps. Vision is excellent, really a joy to drive and be a passenger in it. Lots of power, and I think it is a tremendous value considering the engine you get, with all the options, for around $50k, maybe mid $40k in the US.

One guy told me he is a passenger in a friends GLK and everyone loves that car.

Hi, Bradd: Yes, that is correct. Nice motor, but not an "R." Plenty for me, though, 340hp, 332lb/ft tq.

You like it better than the F10 535xi that occupies the other side of your garage? How do the 2 compare? How are they different?

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    Bean - you've described exactly why I very seldom buy new cars. Wait a year and the first scratch or dent is already there and some other poor clown has paid thousands for the privilege.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • berriberri Posts: 10,040
    You may, or may not, get dealer or company cards, gifts and the like. But you will get dealer service advertising :)
    fezo said:

Bean - you've described exactly why I very seldom buy new cars. Wait a year and the first scratch or dent is already there and some other poor clown has paid thousands for the privilege.

I hear what you are saying. Given the miles per year I drive & the fact that I've got to make payments on cars (either loan or lease), I haven't yet found a used or CPO car that was such an exceptional deal. Dealers seem to be really proud of their cream puffs & asking prices seem on the high side to me.

@nyccarguy:

I had a set of Michelin MXM4 ZP tires installed on the wife's 328i today. That makes three sets of tires I've bought this year(Michelin Premier A/S on the X3 and BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on the Wrangler are the other two).

Here's hoping I don't have to buy any more tires for at least 18 months...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

That's what I put on my car. I was happy with them. I know you aren't thrilled with the 328i & run flats in general, but am curious to hear what you think of the MXM ZPs.

• thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,086
    nyccarguy said:
    I hear what you are saying. Given the miles per year I drive & the fact that I've got to make payments on cars (either loan or lease), I haven't yet found a used or CPO car that was such an exceptional deal. Dealers seem to be really proud of their cream puffs & asking prices seem on the high side to me.
    That's what I found.  I buy new and keep it for 10+ years.  Sorta the anti-CCBA.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,490
    Used cars have been priced fairly high for awhile now. I know I bought a 5 year old Civic with 80K miles back in the early "oughts" for my son to use and for me to run back and forth to the airport with. I think it was a late '90s, at the time. PAid $5K cash, taxes, license, fees included. This was from a dealer no less, who sold the car new, and had all the very thorough service records on it. In short, a cream puff.

You can't get any used cars anywhere near those kinds of prices these days.

Given my proclivity to get in and out of cars relatively often, new seems to be the way to go for me. But, as others have said, if you want maximum value, the key is to keep a car until the proverbial wheels fall off.

Me? Maximum use out of a car over a long period of time was never even remotely on my agenda.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    nyccarguy said:

That's what I put on my car. I was happy with them. I know you aren't thrilled with the 328i & run flats in general, but am curious to hear what you think of the MXM ZPs.

I thought you did; I think they are a perfect fit for a base 328i. I didn't really need an all-season tire since I have a set of winter tires and wheels, but this gives me a bit of breathing room at changeover time. Anyway, I don't drive it it all that much, and when I do it's in a relatively sedate fashion(unless I'm trying to lure a tailgating doofus into spinning out on an interstate ramp).
    :D

nyccarguy said:

You like it better than the F10 535xi that occupies the other side of your garage? How do the 2 compare? How are they different?
    I do like my XF more, subjectively. The 5 feels more powerful, but also feels heavier, a big car. The Jag is just as big/heavy, but drives like a lighter car, tighter handling. Better steering feel and more immediate in the XF. Both nice rides, but a bit more road noise (the runflats?) in the 5. More room in the 5 (I'm 5'10" and have plenty of room up front, but I think once you get above 6', could start getting tight in the XF), better visibility, slightly better mpg. And, iDrive is well ahead of the Jag system! But, for "joy" of driving, the XF. And on the superficial front, while the 5 is a handsome devil, it pales next to the taught lines of the XF. Interior of the XF is unique with great materials, the word that again that comes to my mind is "lighter." And, most importantly, my 16 yo son wants my XF, not mom's 5! Sorry, kiddo, the '02 RX will do you just fine...

Feeling like a bit of a leading-edger here as I think the next few years are going to be good for Jag! I like the evolution of the '16 XF, sounds like shortcomings have been addressed. And, every XE review notes that when better 3-series are built, Jag is building it! The F-Type, oh, yes. If I was in the market for a luxobarge, I'd likely lean to XJ over S, 7 or A8. But, that's the contrarian in me. I do have a thing for the new S Class Coupe, though. But, that's a price point I'll only dream of...

stickguy said:

The GLk and prior generation C class are my two favorite MBs.

I didn't realize how many GLKs were around, until we bought one...now I see them all the time.

I like the look and the styling of the previous C model more than the new one as well, and it had larger windows, lower hood, and a built in GPS/media outlet.

But, I like the version 2 back even more:

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Another shopper looking for suggestions:

Sedan or SUV for long commute

Thanks!
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,282

@28firefighter look for a mortgage place that has zero closing costs. We have a few in my area that I have used. Usually the rates are slightly higher but if you won't be there forever you can save money.

Check out bankrate.com They will list a bunch of different companies.
    @28firefighter - we just refinanced last month. Dropped our rate from 5.125% with PMI to 4.125% with no more PMI.

I'll admit that with used prices being what they are these days the deals are making less sense. Not that it's exactly what I'd want but the most sense these days is buying a new CRV and continue to do that every two years.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    fezo said:

I'll admit that with used prices being what they are these days the deals are making less sense. Not that it's exactly what I'd want but the most sense these days is buying a new CRV and continue to do that every two years.

And when you do that calculate as best as you can;

* What a new car will cost you to drive per year (depreciation only), with a warranty and no repair costs.
    * Calculate how much it will cost to run your current car (depreciation cost) plus repairs.

The difference may be less than you thought. Also, it is like buying a house, it is a forced savings plan, you pay more because you get a new car sooner than necessary, but you won't be in for a huge shock when the price spread becomes huge.

In the meantime you get the latest safety and technological equipment.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,855
    And of course, new cars are cool

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    fezo said:

Buying a used Prius is the exception to the rule. They depreciate big time and uninformed shoppers keep interest low. You did great.
    stickguy said:

And of course, new cars are cool

Yeh, and fun to go out and buy!

Usually the spread between a new car and a two year old car is pretty significant and if you're going to drive the car for 10 years the two year old car is virtually always the better buy. In the past few years of high used car prices that's not as sure a thing.

The Prius was a steal. Very little other than the odometer to indicate it's not new. Oh, and they don't make them in that blue anymore (too bad, because it's exactly the right color).

Meanwhile, an event that looks like it will hold up the car fund for a while. The drain on our washing machine seems to have sprung a good sized leak. This isn't a huge plumbing deal but we have to get a bunch of drywall removed to get access to it. In the meantime there's the laundromat. Up until now having the laundry upstairs worked so well...
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,575
    fezo said:

If you play your cards right, you should be able to make money on this. If you follow the prices paid sub-forum for CR-Vs, and look at the asking prices for 2 year old models, there is a definite possibility of a profit margin.
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
    I'm thinking about such a move in a couple of years. If only they still made them with a stick.

Heck, even a Mazda CX5 can't be had with a stick and AWD.

Of course two years from now that $35K Tesla will be out there....