Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459
    driver100 said:

fushigi said:

For me Sirius is bottoming out at 5 months for $20 with an auto-renew at "then-current rates". Of course what I don't want is an auto-renew clause so I haven't bitten.

We may renew on my wife's car before our summer vacation as it'll involve a couple thousand miles behind the wheel. But that's really her choice and right now she's content with music on a USB drive.

The only way I would do auto-renew is if it is in writing I can cancel after 5 months. No auto renew AT CURRENT RATES, that would be a license to steal.

Yeah, I imagine my wife won't want to pay. At the moment neither of us drives that much; she's just over 5K a year and I'm under 8K. So we're simply not in the cars for long enough to justify a recurring monthly expense for entertainment.

What Sirius should come out with are apps that for no more than $5/mo you get the same channels on your smartphone or tablet, which you can bluetooth-tether to your car. As the audio would be wherever I am, not just in my car, I'd be much more tempted to sign up.

I haven't mentioned that even when we had the service we still had problems finding stuff we wanted to listen to. Even our favorite channels would do artists we didn't like. Despite there being no (or few) commercials, Satellite radio suffers from the same "there's nothing good on" problem that land-based radio (and TV) has.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,941
    My wife would be really mad if I took away her satellite radio. We do also like it for trips.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,644
    verdugo said:

driver100 said:

I got the storage compartment removed from the passengers seat. They said it would take 2 hours and would cost about $300. I had to wait an hour and a half, and then he found me in the lounge and said he had some good news for me. It only took them half an hour and it cost just $80! WOW....how often does that happen.

The 2hours/$300 estimate was when they thought you would be at home. Once they realized that you were costing them money by waiting in the lounge, they wanted you out ASAP.

:)

LOL

And, while I was waiting I sat in a canary yellow G Class. It looked really nice in yellow, and the interior looks really smart. Talk about good site lines, sitting really high over the hood, which has raised parking lights so you know exactly where the hood ends.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

I got the storage compartment removed from the passengers seat. They said it would take 2 hours and would cost about $300. I had to wait an hour and a half, and then he found me in the lounge and said he had some good news for me. It only took them half an hour and it cost just $80! WOW....how often does that happen.

I was sitting in the lounge which is a nice area, next to the cafe, in this all glass open concept showroom (this dealer was voted as one of the top 10 places to work in Canada in 2014), thinking how nice it is to be treated this way. The waiting area at the Chrysler dealer where I bought my 95 and 2000 Jeeps looked like a converted closet, with old cracked vinyl chairs, no windows, no light. It's almost a pleasure taking the car in for service these days. At BMW I had to make my own Kurig coffee and they got stingy on the pastries too....here they bring you coffee in a china cup and there are all kinds of fancy things you can get. For my $80 I also got a beautiful car wash including the interior......detailing and a Starbucks coffee could cost that much!

You were probably swilling down so much coffee and eating so many donuts that they became alarmed and decided they had to get you out of there !! Good technique.

LOL.

That's why they wanted me to take the shuttle...they probably have a note about me in their file.

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    I just mark my calendar one year forward from the date the X-M service was renewed and call a day before to cancel. I have always gotten the promotion rate without any hassle.
    jayrider said:

I just mark my calendar one year forward from the date the X-M service was renewed and call a day before to cancel. I have always gotten the promotion rate without any hassle.

I did the same. Last time I did it the service rep said it was lucky I called in before the renewal date, then I could get the promotion rate.

I don't see a rate that could offered on their website, so they may not offer those low rates again.

On the other hand, the $300 storage bin removal cost me $80, so I am sure I am going to incurr an extra expense of $220 sometime soon - whenever I save on something it gets taken away anyway :'(

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,669
    edited April 2015
    Interesting service experience, @driver100 . Meanwhile, my experience with the dealer where I leased the ATS and where I previously had gotten the 2011 Regal continues to be a bit of an adventure.

About a month ago, I got the monthly email from OnStar telling me the status of things. Included in that is an oil life monitor readout and an estimated date of next service. According to that I still had 60% oil life left and the next service was some time away. In my mind I knew that the end of April would mark 6 months of driving (though I drove it very little this winter) and I figured I would take it in then.

A few days later I get an email from a lady at the dealer telling me OnStar had indicated service was due and when did I want to bring it in? Also she mentioned there is an open recall on my car. That is true - the cover plate around the sunroof switches was deemed to be not giving enough recess for the switches so there is a new design that tucks them further into the plate - simply a nanny thing that I would just as soon not have them change, but no biggie.

I write her back and tell her that I want to bring it in later in April and also that I want to make sure they have the new plate in stock when I bring it in so I don't have to come back a second time. I get no response. This past weekend I sent her an email reminding her of my previous email and telling her when I would like to bring it in. Still no response. Yesterday I phoned her, and she said she was away on training until then, and would call me back. Still waiting.

I am starting to wonder again about this place. I do know I won't be getting coffee in china cups or complimentary pastries.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    My Buick dealer likes to shorten the oil change intervals but I just wait until the monitor is almost to the reminder thingy. She is working on probation and wants to show she can generate business.I get my work done at the local Cadillac dealer. Talked to a salesman who has been there 4 years and he is second in seniority. When you look at their website it looks like they only have two salesman. He said that turnover is so bad that they don't waste their time putting any new stall on the page. Your customer service rep may be gone already.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,282
    jayrider said:

I create a reminder in my Google calendar as soon as I renew service. I then don't have to remember when to call to "cancel." I get an automatic reminder from Google.
    ab348 said:

I am starting to wonder again about this place. I do know I won't be getting coffee in china cups or complimentary pastries.

If Cadillac wants to change their image they should offer some specialty food items.....maybe little hors d'oeuvres or something.

I will say the service department is very efficient and courteous at this MB dealer. I think if I was treated the way you have been I would see if another dealer is better with their service.......but, as you know, I have a low threshold for incompetence.

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    Only driver could consume $220 worth of coffee and donuts. No wonder Tim Horton's is so popular up there.

That might explain this -

Up and back from NYC. The Mazda is a ball up and back but a bit of a pain in the city but not enough of one to think about an automatic.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited April 2015
    Oh, and someone here wants this car - www.yahoo.com/autos/1970-plymouth-hemi-cuda-with-just-81-original-117197056932.html
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    Well it's official - my son is a member of the class of 2019 at Tufts University.

Today was the last of their Jumbo Days where admitted students and their families visit campus. My son had already decided but while we were there, we submitted the deposit. He is so excited about becoming a Jumbo and we are excited for him.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,409
    The "2016" Mercedes-Benz E Class has arrived on dealers' lots!  Now we know why they've been selling 2015's well under original invoice.

Talk about "rushing" the years, many manufacturers have 2016 models out already.  As for Mercedes's "rush" to get the 2016 E out, the answer is simple - the totally redesigned 2017 is expected to arrive at dealerships early next Spring.  Only VIN numbers had to be changed because there is no difference between the 2015 and 2016 models.

So there are 2 reasons manufacturers will rush the model year:

-to introduce a newly redesigned model or new model

-to get the older style models in a new model year out early to provide sufficient up-front time to retool assembly lines for the next model year redesign.

They did the same thing at BMW with the 2005 "5" series and Mercedes did it before with the E Class bringing out the 2009 model in April of 2008.

So, in reality, my 2015 E400 was only on the market for sale for 7 months (October through April)!  They also raised the price almost $1000.

I guess these manufacturers know what they are doing - rushing the model years.

2018 Mercedes S450

robr2 said:
    Well it's official - my son is a member of the class of 2019 at Tufts University. Today was the last of their Jumbo Days where admitted students and their families visit campus. My son had already decided but while we were there, we submitted the deposit. He is so excited about becoming a Jumbo and we are excited for him.
    Congrats, Rob, to both your son and your family.  You should be very proud!

2018 Mercedes S450

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,869
    Renewed our XM/Sirius in our vehicles a day apart and the lowest they'd go was $89/year so we both said o k...was on the fence and was waiting to see what the other half planned on doing. Both happy as we like different stations...I stick with 6,7,8,25,26 and 32. I also have the Sinatra station but prefer 6 and 32 90% of the time. We each have a drive of 1/2 hour each way so we enjoy listening to all music with no commercials. But honestly, I wasn't going to keep it if it was above $100/year...one has to draw a line in the sand at some point.

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

But honestly, I wasn't going to keep it if it was above $100/year...one has to draw a line in the sand at some point.

Especially when you're the Sandman.

fezo said:

Only driver could consume $220 worth of coffee and donuts. No wonder Tim Horton's is so popular up there.

That might explain this -

Up and back from NYC. The Mazda is a ball up and back but a bit of a pain in the city but not enough of one to think about an automatic.

Cute song.....but, since I started my diet 2 years ago I haven't had a donut in about 3 or 4 years. But, I did miss Tim Horton's coffee while in Florida....they should build an XL pipeline to carry Tim Horton's coffee down to Florida for Canadians.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,735
    robr2,
    Congrats on your son's acceptance at Tufts. It's a great school. I'm assuming engineering or finance?
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    edited April 2015
    abacomike said:

The "2016" Mercedes-Benz E Class has arrived on dealers' lots!  Now we know why they've been selling 2015's well under original invoice.

Talk about "rushing" the years, many manufacturers have 2016 models out already.  As for Mercedes's "rush" to get the 2016 E out, the answer is simple - the totally redesigned 2017 is expected to arrive at dealerships early next Spring. They also raised the price almost $1000.

I guess these manufacturers know what they are doing - rushing the model years.

I don't like how the next years cars come out earlier and earlier. However, if the 2016 E is the same I guess it won't matter too much to me....people will think I am driving a 2016 car.

I am so glad we got our 2015 GLK350, because they have ruined the 2016 model if the pictures I am seeing are accurate. We` liked the 2015 because of the large windows and high seating position/over a low squared off hood, and MB made the 2016 model longer, wider, and with a crunched down roof with narrow windows. If MB ruins the E Class and makes it round with narrow windows we'll have to hold onto our cars for many years.

2016 GLK supposedly:

I know it is personal preference, but I like the boxier2015 with larger windows:

This 30 second video is supposed to show the 2016 E400. If it is I prefer the 2015. It looks more rounded with smaller windows if i am making it out correctly.
    SUPPOSED TO BE 2016 E400

Not sure if this is real or not:

driver100 said:
    This 30 second video is supposed to show the 2016 E400. If it is I prefer the 2015. It looks more rounded with smaller windows if i am making it out correctly. SUPPOSED TO BE 2016 E400 Not sure if this is real or not:
    Driver, go to MBUSA.COM and you will see the 2016 E Sedan.  There is no difference between 2015 and 2016.  You posted a photo of a C Class Sedan.  The photos on MBUSA are correct.  Check it out.

2018 Mercedes S450

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,669
    abacomike said:

Driver, go to MBUSA.COM and you will see the 2016 E Sedan.  There is no difference between 2015 and 2016.  You posted a photo of a C Class Sedan.  The photos on MBUSA are correct.  Check it out.

Mike, what driver posted are supposed to be pics of the new E class as introduced in China as a 2016. It says it looks like a larger C class but the pics at his link are definitely not a C class. I'm guessing they will bring it here as a 2017.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

ab348 said:
    Mike, what driver posted are supposed to be pics of the new E class as introduced in China as a 2016. It says it looks like a larger C class but the pics at his link are definitely not a C class. I'm guessing they will bring it here as a 2017.
    That could be a European or Asian E Class.  But the North American 2016 E Class did not change one iota from the 2015.

The pictures I have seen of the 2017 E Class resemble a smaller version of the S Class, but it will have a longer wheel base and larger chassis than the current E Class.

I am not sure I will like it that much and will consider the redesigned 5 series or perhaps a Jaguar or Infiniti in 2017.

2018 Mercedes S450

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,282
    driver100 said:

since I started my diet 2 years ago I haven't had a donut in about 3 or 4 years.

Great quote Driver. Yogi Berra would be proud. B)
    Verdugo, that was funny!!!

2018 Mercedes S450

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

This 30 second video is supposed to show the 2016 E400. If it is I prefer the 2015. It looks more rounded with smaller windows if i am making it out correctly.
    SUPPOSED TO BE 2016 E400

Not sure if this is real or not:

I checked mbusa.com and the 2016 does look exactly like a 2015, except maybe the headlights. Even the instrument panel is the same. I think the pictures I found were Euro mdels or artists renderings.

That 2016 model doesn't make me want to trade in my current car at all. Usually there is some excitement when they introduce a new model...not this time.

verdugo said:

driver100 said:

since I started my diet 2 years ago I haven't had a donut in about 3 or 4 years.
    Great quote Driver. Yogi Berra would be proud. B)

I fell out of my chair at that one.....I didn't realize I was so funny.

I guess I should have said....I haven't had a donut in about 4 years, and, I started my diet 2 years ago. The facts were right...just the way I said it was a Yogi.

driver and verdugo - you guys almost cost me a keyboard!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,312
    @robr2 - Mazel-Tov on your son's acceptance to TUFTS!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD