Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 118,206
    stickguy said:

Nah. Go for it

I'm assuming we're talking about a potential replacement for the Pilot.

I say stay the course and build the college and remodeling fund.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    edited April 2015
    nyccarguy said:

robr2 said:

nyccarguy said:

@robr2 - Mazel-Tov on your son's acceptance to TUFTS!

Thank you.

If I were you, I'd stop getting a new car every 3 years and start putting that money aside for your 3 little ones. As a business owner, you'll get put through the wringer when it comes time for college.
    So are you trying to tell me to step away from the new vehicle configurator?
    Oh you can configure all you want - I do that all the time. All I'm saying is that some schools may find that CCBA is a curable syndrome. Say you have a 1 YO and 3 YO car. The school may infer that you buy a new car every 3-4 years and may consider the money you spend on cars could be better spent on paying tuition. Look at me - I have a 15 YO Odyssey, a 10 YO Passat, and a 4 YO Explorer. Hopefully the schools inferred I had my priorities in line.

And as a business owner, they seem to put extra scrutiny on you. They will ask for tax returns, P&L statements, et al. Too much cash in the business, they may feel you should pay yourself an extra dividend every year to make that tuition payment.

As I said before, one school suggested that my wife and I were lucky to have so much equity in our home and that we had done well in saving for retirement and that perhaps tapping equity and redirecting future retirement savings towards tuition would be good ideas.

Now of course, a lot of that goes out the window if your kids are what they want. I really think that the grant given my son was in response to this:

GPA of 4.7
    great SAT and ACT scores
    Eagle Scout
    9 varsity athletic letters
    team captain twice
    member of the marching band
    music ministry at church
    part time job
    well written essays.

One college counselor I heard speak talked about kids planting a couple of trees and making sure those trees had deep roots. His inference was that kids should commit to 2-3 activities and show that they care deeply about those. Kids who are members of 15 clubs are building resumes and don't show commitment. My son had 3 trees - music, sports, Scouts - and he committed to all 3.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,313
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Nah. Go for it

I'm assuming we're talking about a potential replacement for the Pilot.

I say stay the course and build the college and remodeling fund.
    We are keeping the Pilot. I'm just saying, in case I feel the need for some (ARGH ARGH ARGH) more power sometime down the road.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

@robr2 - WOW! They really did put you through the wringer. Luckily as it stands, I am not a business owner. Just a "regular" W2 employee (who happens to be the boss' son). My Dad just turned 69 in March and has absolutely no plans to retire. As long as he stays healthy, he'll probably work well into his 80s. He's got genealogical history on his side as my Grandma (Dad's Mom) just turned 98 last Wednesday.

edited April 2015
    Got it. I thought you had ownership. In any case, your kids are 13+ years away from school. And a lot can happen in those 13 years so I suggest planning.

Look at it this way:

UConn is $26K a year right now. 3% price increase for 13 years brings it to $38K annually. 4 years of that is $152K. All 3 there will run you over $450K.

I have a friend who is lucky enough to have the financial means to pay the full amount for his 3 boys. By the time he is done in 2017, he will have spent close to $780,000 in tuition and lodging.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,735
    edited April 2015
    Regarding college costs, I would add 10% for miscellaneous other expenses, mostly due to kids going to school out of state.
    We did have our kids take on the max gov't loans, so they would have 'some skin in the game'.
    My older one paid them off in less than 4 years. Now she can pay her own grad school bills.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    robr2 said:

Got it. I thought you had ownership. In any case, your kids are 13+ years away from school. And a lot can happen in those 13 years so I suggest planning.

Look at it this way:

UConn is $26K a year right now. 3% price increase for 13 years brings it to $38K annually. 4 years of that is $152K. All 3 there will run you over $450K.

I have a friend who is lucky enough to have the financial means to pay the full amount for his 3 boys. By the time he is done in 2017, he will have spent close to $780,000 in tuition and lodging.

I really do appreciate your advice. I do hope at least one of my 3 kids opts for UCONN;). The state schools have become increasingly competitive since the start of the Great Recession in 2008. UCONN used to be viewed by many as a "safety school." Now I understand unless your credentials are top notch, UCONN will accept you only if you accept admission to a satellite campus (Like UCONN Stamford) for 1 semester or 1 year.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,957
    hey Bradd, question for you. Not college related (but I have enough recent experience with that to be an expert on many areas, including some you don't ever want to deal with!)

anyway, I am going to NH for a wedding in early June. Will be going up on a Friday (leaving in the AM to arrive mid-afternoon). mapquest, Garmin (and I assume the Hrundai Navi, which I will be taking on the trip) always want to send my over the GWB and up 95 to 91 then north. Though Google maps goes above that to shooting up the Hutch.

If I hit the GW at 10:30/11:00 on a Friday, intending to do that, is it a dumb idea? Subjecting myself to the cross Bronx, something I vowed to avoid again if I ever could!

I normally go up and over the TZ (to saw mill, up to 684 to 84 and over). Only maps out to 8 miles longer, and about 10 minutes estimated. That way I skip the Bronx and 95 mess. But, I thought about shaking things up, and I know that you are intimately familiar with this route!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

speaking of college loans, my son texted me to say that he might go out to test drive a GTI, just to "see what he passed on". Even though he has about another 1.5 years on the lease before even thinking about a pull-ahead, and it would cost too much! I told him it was a dangerous idea, and he should see if the friend of his that just bought one would let him take a drive.

he did say he was planning to redirect the $ to paying off another student loan, leaving him with just one at 3.15%, for less than 5K. He has done a good job paying them off quick, highest interest rates 1st. once the last one is gone, he should be done the lease, and it will be interesting to see what he does! At this point, about all I can about guarantee is that it will be German (he is hooked).

stickguy said:

hey Bradd, question for you. Not college related (but I have enough recent experience with that to be an expert on many areas, including some you don't ever want to deal with!)

anyway, I am going to NH for a wedding in early June. Will be going up on a Friday (leaving in the AM to arrive mid-afternoon). mapquest, Garmin (and I assume the Hrundai Navi, which I will be taking on the trip) always want to send my over the GWB and up 95 to 91 then north. Though Google maps goes above that to shooting up the Hutch.

If I hit the GW at 10:30/11:00 on a Friday, intending to do that, is it a dumb idea? Subjecting myself to the cross Bronx, something I vowed to avoid again if I ever could!

I normally go up and over the TZ (to saw mill, up to 684 to 84 and over). Only maps out to 8 miles longer, and about 10 minutes estimated. That way I skip the Bronx and 95 mess. But, I thought about shaking things up, and I know that you are intimately familiar with this route!

I would avoid the Cross Bronx like the plague. There's always something going on east bound (95 North) from right after the bridge up until the Webster Avenue exit. If you must take the GW, get off at 9a for the Henry Hudson Parkway North, over the HH Bridge (another $5 toll in addition to the $8 or so you'll pay on the GW). The HH becomes the Saw Mill once you get into Westchester.

I'd stick with your TZ to Saw Mill to 684 to 84 route. You'll encounter less traffic overall. Your ride home Sunday night is going to be a nightmare. If you can afford to take the day off on Monday, I'd suggest staying an extra night for a smoother drive home.

thanks. you confirmed what I already knew.

Sunday, I think we are leaving mid-morning to get back. so should hit near the bridge in the 2-3 range. so who knows what to expect at that point. I decide from there what to do based on the traffic reports (Palisades, GSP, or scenic route over to 287).

staying an extra day (the wedding is Saturday) into Monday could happen. depends on everyone's work schedule and what rest of family is planning to do.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,870
    Come early October, I'll be asking you the same question as we plan to fly into Westchester airport and rent from there. Staying in either Mt. Kisco or Elmsford for the weekend but hoping to get out to Staten Island again if all works out. Hoping to fly in and out mid week to avoid the weekend mess up there. Planning on hitting Peekskill and Shrub Oak if time allows and maybe a Broadway show if the better half decides to join me...it's a high school reunion and not sure if it'll bore her too much!

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Come early October, I'll be asking you the same question as we plan to fly into Westchester airport and rent from there. Staying in either Mt. Kisco or Elmsford for the weekend but hoping to get out to Staten Island again if all works out. Hoping to fly in and out mid week to avoid the weekend mess up there. Planning on hitting Peekskill and Shrub Oak if time allows and maybe a Broadway show if the better half decides to join me...it's a high school reunion and not sure if it'll bore her too much!

There is always traffic getting to Staten Island. No matter what!

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 118,206

Why are you going to Peekskill? That's my dad's home town, though he's lived in CA for the better part of 60 years now.

Hearing bradd and stick talk about driving routes through/around NYC make me realize I don't missing traveling for work one little bit. Though most of my nightmares were in Boston - went there a lot during the "Big Dig" fiasco.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    Stick you have the correct route mapped out. Once in a while we'll take the Merritt Parkway just because it's a neat route. It's becoming less so but it's still pretty nice as long as you're not actually getting on and off along the way because the ramps are next to nonexistent. Pretty road and some of the WPA look is still there.

When you get to the Mass Pike just take in to the first exit eastbound and go up 290 through Worcester and get on to 495 from there. Saves you a lot of Mass Pike (always a good thing)and runs a more diagonal route.

Now if you were going Memorial Day weekend you'd get the bonus of local fundraiser (scouts, foodbanks) in the picnic area serving hot dogs and such, Just edible to very good depending on the organization and the year.

I agree with Bradd on the extra day Monday.

Speaking of Bradd I'm not speaking of baseball on the past weekend. See you in September.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Last night made up for it Fezo.

We are actually to western part of the state (Keene) so straight up 91. Skip the pike entirely.

fezo said:

Stick you have the correct route mapped out. Once in a while we'll take the Merritt Parkway just because it's a neat route. It's becoming less so but it's still pretty nice as long as you're not actually getting on and off along the way because the ramps are next to nonexistent. Pretty road and some of the WPA look is still there.

When you get to the Mass Pike just take in to the first exit eastbound and go up 290 through Worcester and get on to 495 from there. Saves you a lot of Mass Pike (always a good thing)and runs a more diagonal route.

Now if you were going Memorial Day weekend you'd get the bonus of local fundraiser (scouts, foodbanks) in the picnic area serving hot dogs and such, Just edible to very good depending on the organization and the year.

I agree with Bradd on the extra day Monday.

Speaking of Bradd I'm not speaking of baseball on the past weekend. See you in September.

Ha! I actually went to the Saturday afternoon "game." The Mets have a great squad this year. I saw Harvey pitch. He's truly something else. Lucas Duda can hit the ball a mile. Mets have the best record in MLB right now.

Indeed. I'd say I'd have taken tickets to either of the other games but the truth is I don't freeze well. If you told me that on April 28 the Mets would be up 4.5 games I'd not believed it.

They has another one of those pulling it out of nowhere in that rarity of rarities, an under 2 hours game. Met and Marlins blanked each other through 7-1/2 innings. Marlins manage a run in the bottom on the 8th. Lagares gets a double that should have been an out, Duda walks and Murphy knock one into the next county. Familia does his 1,2,3 and we're done.

Sweet.

BTW - no way am I getting into retail college prices. The older ones are doing county college first (we have a very good one here) and while #1 doesn't know what she's up to and is in pause mode, #2 is well on her way to a degree is sign interpretation and is looking to go on to two bachelor degrees - one in teaching and one in sign language. Know we'll be splitting the costs. Pretty good head on her shoulders other than she knows little more about cars than the pedals and the wheels. He boyfriend, who she mostly lives with, has a Subaru. She's driven it. She can't tell me what model it is or even if it's a sedan or wagon. Great kid otherwise.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited April 2015
    Bradd - I'm not trying to push my advice on you. It's just so fresh in my mind that I want to share it with someone just starting out. The years go by so fast and then BAM, it's on you.
    Keene. Hopefully being that school is still going on will help with the rush. I hope to make it up by 2:30-3:00 so will be through the congestion of Hartford right after lunch.

But it will be what it will be.

Can't beat straight up 91 for where you're going. We have friends in Lee and the route I described is perfect for that. Also for visiting my brother in Portland. Were it not so blasted cold up there I could easily live up that way.

Last night indeed made up for a lot of things. Gee really showed something. The Mets are in a happy dilemma on starting pitching. They need to either get someone that can both play shortstop and hit or keep replenishing the farm system if they decide to trade Gee. Be interesting to see which Montero shows up.
    Sorry - I edited my post once I went back and saw you said Keene earlier.
    robr2 said:

Bradd - I'm not trying to push my advice on you. It's just so fresh in my mind that I want to share it with someone just starting out. The years go by so fast and then BAM, it's on you.

I was serious. I do appreciate your sound advice. It means a lot. I'm 39 and have learned a lot (and continue to do so) from you guys who have A LOT more experience at this thing called life than I do.

I can give you great advice in the "don't do what I did" school of thought...

Actually we're doing something that I'm really looking forward to - putting solar on the house. We will be buying a 7 kw system and should break even when I turn 70 which is far too close for my comfort and from there on it's free electricity. The let them have the roof and charge less that the electric company didn't look as good to me. Now if only Tesla's house battery can fit into the equation... Suddenly electric heat would make sense but I've got a perfectly good gas system now.

I'm 64 and learn a lot here myself. Important things like never ask stick if you should buy a new car.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited April 2015
    My solar project is on hold for a few months (and my supplier is booked through late June now anyway). Hope Elon's announcement makes economic sense. We're still vacillating between a 15kw and 20 kw system. I figure an 8 year payback, minimum. Hm, I'll be 71 then....

In car news, I'm supposed to buy a truck for a friend this afternoon. Luckily it's parked at the shop of the mechanic who did the inspection so I don't have to deal with driving it until my friend buses over from Texas tomorrow night to pick it up. I eyeballed it (and the seller) last week and my bud did the deal after the PPI, with a little help from Shifty. Meeting at my bank to exchange paperwork and keys.

The seller was a no-show at the initial PPI drop-off, so I'm still slightly dubious.
    15 to 20 kw? What the heck are you doing with all of that? You have an electric chair or something?
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited April 2015
    Oh, doh. I meant 15 to 20 panels. 20 would be pushing your 7 number iirc. We don't want to wind up giving excess to the utility since they aren't paying squat for it.

(A hot tub would be nice however).
    Ah. That's more like it. In theory 7 kw would cover us. Am hoping to at one point get one of those Tesla house batteries and make all my own electricity.
    fezo said:

Ah. That's more like it. In theory 7 kw would cover us. Am hoping to at one point get one of those Tesla house batteries and make all my own electricity.

Solar City has been offering the Tesla battery for a while now. Looks like they are going to open it up to other solar companies - provided the gigafactory actually comes on-line.
    My experience with Solar City wasn't terribly pleasant. He was like the car salesman (no one in here, thanks) that is more determined to show how much he knows everything and you don't than he is to make a sale. The Trinity Solar guy was much better and they didn't do things like ding my credit score with a hard inquiry before signing like the Solar City guy did.