Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

13763773793813823188

Comments

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,611
    Our Florida VW dealer sent a clever ad. They will give us $3500 over Black Book Value on a new VW. They say our 2013 Passat (2 1/2 yrs old) is worth $14570 but they will give us $18070 for it. Pretty good since it cost $23000 2 1/2 years ago. I wonder if they will discount the new one....probably not!

    They'll also give me $15 just to go in...$5 for coming in, $10 for taking a test drive. If I was there I would go in and collect the $5 but not go for a test drive B)

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    I liked it when your dollar was around 60 cents. Made for way cheap Ontario vacations...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,611
    fezo said:

    I liked it when your dollar was around 60 cents. Made for way cheap Ontario vacations...

    So did Lee Travino. He was in a shop at his hotel and he used a $10 bill (U.S.) to buy a $3 (Cdn) magazine. When he got his change he got back about $11 (Cdn) plus the magazine.

    He said, what a great country, you buy stuff and you get back more money tnan you give them.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    We honeymooned in Nova Scotia. A lot of that free money. The payback came on the way home and had dinner in Bar Harbor. $28 (this was 1985). When I handed them $40 they said that wasn't enough.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,611
    fezo said:

    We honeymooned in Nova Scotia. A lot of that free money. The payback came on the way home and had dinner in Bar Harbor. $28 (this was 1985). When I handed them $40 they said that wasn't enough.

    Speaking about currency...GM just dropped 1000 jobs building Camaros in Canada. These jobs will go to Mexico where labor costs $8 an hour including benefits.

    Low labour costs and fewer tariffs are the swing factors. A worker in Mexico costs car companies an average of $8 an hour, including wages and benefits. That compares with $58 in the U.S. for General Motors and $38 at Volkswagen's factory in Tennessee, the lowest hourly cost in the U.S., according to the Center for Automotive Research, an industry think-tank in Ann Arbor, Michigan. German auto workers cost about $52 an hour.

    Mexico also trumps the U.S. on free trade. It has agreements with 45 countries, meaning low tariffs for exporting globally. That, along with low labor costs, convinced Audi to build an SUV factory in the state of Puebla. The German automaker will save $6,000 per vehicle in tariffs when it ships a Q5 to Europe, compared with building the same vehicle in the U.S., says Sean McAlinden, chief economist at CAR.

    Something to think about, the U.S. and Canadian governments saved GM, and now they are leaving. There is no loyalty in the auto business.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,405
    Driver, there is no loyalty in business to any country!  The loyalty is to the stockholders and the mighty $$$ - nothing else.  But you can't blame a company for lowering production costs in order to increase profits, can you?  Apple is making money hand over fist but keeps most of its money offshore as do General Electric and hundreds of other large "so called" American Companies.  Why?  Because U.S. taxes are through the roof compared to most other countries.

    That's why manufacturing jobs are leaving this country.  Corporate headquarters for hundreds, if not thousands of these large manufacturers are in Europe, Asia and everywhere else but here.  Taxes, taxes and more taxes.

    2018 Mercedes S450

  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,085
    Wasn't there just news about GM investing over $5 billion in US plants?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,282
    driver100 said:

    Our Florida VW dealer sent a clever ad. They will give us $3500 over Black Book Value on a new VW. They say our 2013 Passat (2 1/2 yrs old) is worth $14570 but they will give us $18070 for it. Pretty good since it cost $23000 2 1/2 years ago. I wonder if they will discount the new one....probably not!

    They'll also give me $15 just to go in...$5 for coming in, $10 for taking a test drive. If I was there I would go in and collect the $5 but not go for a test drive B)

    See if they will give you that offer without you buying anything from them, ala Carmax.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    Actually driver - the Camaro production is moving to the US, not Mexico. That move was announced in 2012. The Oshawa plant will still be producing the Impala, Regal and XTS. Yes, 1,000 jobs are still expected to be lost but GM will invest $550 million at the Ingersoll, ON plant to build the next Equinox.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,405
    I guess someone flagged me for abuse on my previous post.  I hate cowards who flag anonymously.  Bye all, it's been nice knowing all of you!

    2018 Mercedes S450

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,887
    Could have hit it accidentally. Or sometimes the software grabs a post.

    2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,498
    Yeah, I remember, I hit a flag once by accident. When pages load, they have an annoying habit of shifting around until final content is loaded. I constantly hit something I don't intend to, because I want to start something, but the page did not yet fully loaded.

    2018 430i Gran Coupe

  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,750
    abacomike said:

    I guess someone flagged me for abuse on my previous post.  I hate cowards who flag anonymously.  Bye all, it's been nice knowing all of you!

    Probably a mistake. Don't go anywhere. We enjoy your posts!

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,611
    suydam said:

    Wasn't there just news about GM investing over $5 billion in US plants?

    General Motors plans to spend $5.4 billion to improve its U.S. factories during the next three years, creating about 650 new jobs.

    $5.4 billion to create 650 jobs!

    At the same time, in December, the company announced plans to invest $5 billion to modernize and expand its four factories in Mexico. In March, the company said it would spend $350 million on its Ramos Arzipe assembly plant so it can build the compact Chevrolet Cruze, which also is made at GM’s factory in Lordstown, Ohio, east of Cleveland.

    As Mike said, companies will do what they have to, in order to please the stock holders and to make a profit. It would have been nice if the U.S. and Canadian governments had put some rules in place on the money loaned. The government saved these companies.....only to see them move production to other countries, not a great way to get repaid for our investment.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,611
    carnaught said:

    abacomike said:

    I guess someone flagged me for abuse on my previous post.  I hate cowards who flag anonymously.  Bye all, it's been nice knowing all of you!

    Probably a mistake. Don't go anywhere. We enjoy your posts!

    I do too, and I wouldn't leave because of one person - especially one who won't identify themself.

    It could be a mistake, as Dino said, the page sometimes bounces around until loaded. Maybe they meant to do an lol or a "quote".

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,191
    Heck, a flagged post is a badge of honor in my book...

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    driver100 said:

    suydam said:

    Wasn't there just news about GM investing over $5 billion in US plants?

    General Motors plans to spend $5.4 billion to improve its U.S. factories during the next three years, creating about 650 new jobs.

    $5.4 billion to create 650 jobs!

    At the same time, in December, the company announced plans to invest $5 billion to modernize and expand its four factories in Mexico. In March, the company said it would spend $350 million on its Ramos Arzipe assembly plant so it can build the compact Chevrolet Cruze, which also is made at GM’s factory in Lordstown, Ohio, east of Cleveland.

    As Mike said, companies will do what they have to, in order to please the stock holders and to make a profit. It would have been nice if the U.S. and Canadian governments had put some rules in place on the money loaned. The government saved these companies.....only to see them move production to other countries, not a great way to get repaid for our investment.

    Keep in mind the $5.4 billion isn't being used to create 650 jobs. Most of it is being used to upgrade plants in order to manufacture new product and install new technology. It's part of the normal business plant upgrades that is required in the manufacturing business.

    $1 billion of that is to upgrade the large SUV plant in Texas that would add 589 of the 650 jobs.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,655

    Heck, a flagged post is a badge of honor in my book...

    Yes indeed, everyone needs at least one or your not posting enough :) ( I have mine)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    edited May 2015
    Mike, don't leave because of someone flagging you!

    I have one too given by a "cranky old man" who disappeared right after he threw a few flags
    on the field.
  • thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,089
    The $5.4B spend by GM should have a lot of equipment in it, but sadly I bet more than half of that will be spent overseas for machines. :@

    I have several friends (and I'm this way also) that refuse to purchase a car built in Mexico.  Don't think the quality is there.  JMHO
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,191

    Mike, don't leave because of someone flagging you!

    I have one too given by a "cranky old man" who disappeared right after he threw a few flags
    on the field.

    I remember that guy- a real jackass.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,611

    Heck, a flagged post is a badge of honor in my book...

    I like that comment. When we had our book business a major publisher tried to sue us out of existance. I went to a supplier for some advice, since he had been through a similar experience.

    He said the bad news is the publisher in question (Penguin) is so big even if you win you will probably lose a lot of money defending yourself, the good news is you are important enough that you are a thorn in their side.

    That made me feel better! :D

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,611
    edited May 2015
    robr2 said:

    driver100 said:

    suydam said:

    Wasn't there just news about GM investing over $5 billion in US plants?

    General Motors plans to spend $5.4 billion to improve its U.S. factories during the next three years, creating about 650 new jobs.

    $5.4 billion to create 650 jobs!

    At the same time, in December, the company announced plans to invest $5 billion to modernize and expand its four factories in Mexico. In March, the company said it would spend $350 million on its Ramos Arzipe assembly plant so it can build the compact Chevrolet Cruze, which also is made at GM’s factory in Lordstown, Ohio, east of Cleveland.

    As Mike said, companies will do what they have to, in order to please the stock holders and to make a profit. It would have been nice if the U.S. and Canadian governments had put some rules in place on the money loaned. The government saved these companies.....only to see them move production to other countries, not a great way to get repaid for our investment.


    Keep in mind the $5.4 billion isn't being used to create 650 jobs. Most of it is being used to upgrade plants in order to manufacture new product and install new technology. It's part of the normal business plant upgrades that is required in the manufacturing business.

    $1 billion of that is to upgrade the large SUV plant in Texas that would add 589 of the 650 jobs.


    That's fair enough and I am not saying that GM sending more jobs to Mexico is necessarily wrong. I am just questioning why governments gave them money to bail them out with no guaranties. I also wonder what kind of jobs young people will have in the near future. Those good paying mid level jobs are disappearing....either your in top management, or your in a low level job. Our society can only absorb so many lawyers and chiropractors (seems to be one on every block, 2 on every block in Florida).

    Occassionally I still see those bumper stickers that said Buy American or None of Us Will Have Jobs....it's getting harder and harder to do that.

    About buying a car made in Mexico. I would do it if I really wanted that particular car, but, I would prefer to buy a car made somewhere else. Sometimes getting the cheapest made isn't always the best value.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,909
    edited May 2015

    Mike, don't leave because of someone flagging you!

    I have one too given by a "cranky old man" who disappeared right after he threw a few flags
    on the field.

    I remember that guy- a real jackass.
    Yeah, I think I got a flag that time also. Same guy. If you are brave enough to flag someone and accuse them of abuse, you should be brave enough to explain why.

    2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376

    Heck, a flagged post is a badge of honor in my book...

    Must. Not. Speak.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,728
    edited May 2015
    Hey fezo, I just noticed your avatar. You like quite a bit different from the cover picture on your CD that I have.
    You do look good!
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,909

    Hey fezo, I just noticed your avatar. You like quite a bit different from the cover picture on your CD that I have.
    You do look good!

    Is fezo on the right or left ? :D

    2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,868
    edited May 2015
    Maybe it's me, but how does one flag someone...and what does that mean anyways??? Just don't get it???

    The Sandman :) B)

    2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,611

    Maybe it's me, but how does one flag someone...and what does that mean anyways??? Just don't get it???

    The Sandman :) B)

    Sandman....you left a lot of blank space after your post........someone might complain that you are wasting cyberspace. If they thought that was bad they will flag you....right at the bottom of your post on the left side is the word "flag", and they press that for some reason.

    I hope I don't get flagged for this. I think there should be a way to appeal or at least be able to find out who and why you were flagged......there is just too much that can go wrong.

    Someone would have to post a very offensive post for me to flag it (has never happened), but, if I did, I would certainly state why and sign it. The flag Mike got makes no sense, he hasn't posted anything anyone could possibly find offensive, in fact, his posts are helpful and informative....quite the opposite!

    Maybe someone thought a "flag" was a good thing!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,299

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

Sign In or Register to comment.