Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

"oldfarmer50"
    What would happen if you got the urge to blast off from the stop light while the engine was off? If you floored it would the thing come on with a bang sending gears in all directions of would it just sit there until the motor reved up and the transmission engaged?

Not that I go crazy off the line very often but I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car that I couldn't do it if I wanted

Say you are stopped at a light and your engine is off. If you want to get a fast start, the engine will start as soon as your foot comes off the brake, and then stomp it.

Even better, push the on/off button in when you are stopped, and the engine will be engaged and ready to go.

It really isn't a major problem....you can basically do everything you would normally do...just have to find a way to do it.

btw...it might be a good feature for you so you won't try any fast starts.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

Even sick you are a 'car buying machine'. I stand in awe of you. Congrats!

lol

• Options
    abacomike said:

abacomike said:

abacomike
    I was incorrect about the MSRP on the car, it is actually $79,485. I just looked at the window sticker - I forgot there was a $1000 additional cost for the wheels I selected. So, I paid $67,738 + tax, tags and fees. So I got the car for $12,000 under MSRP. I have no complaints.

It was a great deal before.....now it is getting ridiculous! B)

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    edited November 2015

Not the best pics, but here are some my sister took of the '16 CTS (she really likes it) as someone said they wanted to see them.

I was never a fan of white cars but the MB and Caddie look great. I saw a BMW 4 hard top convertible the other day and it looked absolutely gorgeous.

Are they using some different kind of white paint these days?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    tyguy said:

Mike! Wow, what an entrance. So sorry to hear about the health issues related or the anti-virals, but it's good to see you back....and with a beautiful new car. Have they tested your viral load yet? Praying that this will be the round that eliminates the C for good. I was getting a little worried I wouldn't know how to contact you in March for our scheduled brunch.

They did test for viral load, but that takes longer than the CBC and Liver Function tests. I should know something tomorrow or early this week - I took that test last Monday. But from previous experience with Harvoni, my viral load was "0" all the way up until 4 weeks after I completed the regimen where the viral load showed up again. This Viekira and Ribavirin are play havoc with my entire body. and I have 5 more months of this.

Thanks for asking.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    driver100 said:

"oldfarmer50"
    What would happen if you got the urge to blast off from the stop light while the engine was off? If you floored it would the thing come on with a bang sending gears in all directions of would it just sit there until the motor reved up and the transmission engaged?

Not that I go crazy off the line very often but I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car that I couldn't do it if I wanted

Say you are stopped at a light and your engine is off. If you want to get a fast start, the engine will start as soon as your foot comes off the brake, and then stomp it.

Even better, push the on/off button in when you are stopped, and the engine will be engaged and ready to go.

It really isn't a major problem....you can basically do everything you would normally do...just have to find a way to do it.

btw...it might be a good feature for you so you won't try any fast starts.
    @oldfarmer50
    The engine my GM restarts as soon as the brake pedal starts up. If I want the engine to restart before moving I just release the pressure on the pedal keeping enough brake to keep the car from moving.

About the trans parts..., while the engine is off an electric pump circulates the coolant in the engine and a pump keeps the transmission fluid pressure up so the car is ready to go without stressing the transmission. I assume engineering in other car lines is similar. I've had the engine shutting down at a 4-way stop sign and I let up on the brake before it had died. The engine caught and was ready to go.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    About that depreciation....50% over 5 years isn't that pretty normal?
    I read it is 15% the first year and 10% every year after.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,553
    25% over 4-5 years would be incredible. On the good side. Most leases are something like 33% in 3 years.

and that CTS is an imposing car. Quite good looking.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Graphic, love the looks of the car. Interior photos, please.
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    abacomike said:

Sorry for abruptly leaving, but I have had so many problems with this new medication. They found out in my blood test that I was anemic from one of the drugs I am taking. So I had to have two units of blood IV to bring up my red blood cell count. That was Friday. I feel a little better, but still weak and I get out of breath very quickly after walking just a short distance. I hope I don't need any more blood.

But, all of you who said I would never, ever make it to an oil change on this Mercedes Benz E400 WON THE BET! I just bought a new 2016 Mercedes Benz CLS 400 in Diamond White Metallic and light (very light) interior leather seating with Piano Black wood throughout the interior. I never thought I would do this after having problems with the 2014 CLS 550 (visibility and height), but since I have lost so much weight, I fit perfectly in this new car.

MSRP was $78,495 and I paid $67,738. I had a $3500 incentive from USAA, a $500 incentive from Mercedes Benz Club of America and a $2000 credit from MBUSA as a gesture due to the experience I had last October with the build of my first E400. So, I paid approximately invoice less the fleet incentives and MBUSA credit.

This car has the V6 twin turbo at 330 hp and 3.0 L. When I test drove the car, it was more than powerful enough - sure didn't need the V8.

Again, my apologies for leaving the way I did - but my health has not been the best - but thanks to all for understand, and my apologies to Robr.

Welcome back. Hope you're feeling better.

Congrats on the new car. You have bought so many that the next one should be free, right?
  • Options
    @abacomike
    When was the last time you had to do An oil change on a car?

@Verdugo
    Does the buy 5 get one free apply if you change dealers? Or does Mike start over?

• Options
    @abacomike
    When was the last time you had to do An oil change on a car?

@Verdugo
    Does the buy 5 get one free apply if you change dealers? Or does Mike start over?
    I was due next Tuesday for my first A Service on the E 400.  I actually/honestly do not remember the last time I had a scheduled service on a car I owned - wait - I remember - I had a scheduled service on my 1998 Lexus ES 300 - it was a leased car.

There!  I knew I had a few but I just didn't remember - but none since the last century! :open_mouth: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    Good grief, Mike! Pretty sure you have me licked. I think I was averaging somewhere in the 12-mo range with the last 8 vehicles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Good grief, Mike! Pretty sure you have me licked. I think I was averaging somewhere in the 12-mo range with the last 8 vehicles.
    This is not some contest I am trying to win - it is more of an embarrassment!  But not a bad cross to bear considering other vices I could be involved in/with.

qb, feel free to beat me at this game - in fact I insist! :open_mouth: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited November 2015
    carnaught said:

I'll get some for you.

Wife said the CTS's style means they aren't marketing it to women....too masculine looking. Not so sure about that, but I do find it handsome.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,553
    GG, is the new MB C class on your watch list? or too small? Seemed pretty big in this iteration. That just looks like a real nice car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    One day last week, as I was returning from the Boca Towne Center Mall in Boca Raton, I was waiting at a traffic light to make a left turn out of the mall when I noticed a slow moving, 5-6 foot reptile waddling across the street on the other side of the traffic light (about 150 feet away) heading for a retention pond area. When the light turned green, I decided to go in for a closer look (I figured it was probably one of those huge Iguanas with a long tale which are pretty common down here). Low and behold, it was a 7-8 foot alligator taking its sweet old time moving perpendicular to the street heading toward a grassy area just short of a retention pond.

I've lived down here for 15 years now. Sure I've seen alligators at the the zoo and animal parks, but never have I seen one in the wild (if you can consider Boca Raton the "wild"). I dialed 911 on my cell to report the alligator to the police who in turn would contact animal control to capture this creature and ship him out to the Everglades (about 15 miles due west of me).

There have been hundreds of stories of missing cats, dogs and other pets (and sometimes even missing toddlers) who gave their lives to satisfy the appetites of many of these alligators. But it is essential to contact animal control so these "killers" can be removed from inhabited areas.

The police department thanked me for reporting the gator. They said they have received many reports of missing pets in the area and figured this was the culprit. Oh, the joys of living in a subtropical climate with all the pythons, iguanas, alligators and various and sundry other wild life moving about right under your very nose. I guess it's better than having to deal with 7-10 inches of snow. B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Missing toddlers? Now that's a very scary reality. Around here we have to watch for rattlesnakes and certain spiders, but that's the limit of nasty critters until you venture into the forest. Nothing like pythons and alligators. I guess that 4-degree temperature on Thanksgiving will serve some useful purpose after all.
  • Options
    tyguy said:
    Missing toddlers? Now that's a very scary reality. Around here we have to watch for rattlesnakes and certain spiders, but that's the limit of nasty critters until you venture into the forest. Nothing like pythons and alligators. I guess that 4-degree temperature on Thanksgiving will serve some useful purpose after all.
    Alligators are nasty critters - much like bull sharks or great white sharks that inhabit the ocean on the coasts of Florida.  The pythons (15-18 feet in length) are multiplying quickly in the Everglades.  Pythons are not natural inhabitants of south Florida.  The are brought in illegally from South America and sold as exotic pets.  When these "pets" get too big, the owners dump them in the Everglades where there are no natural predators so the thrive and multiply.

Florida has allowed for Python hunts and alligator hunts because they are killing the Everglades by over-population.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    As if I didn't hate OPEC enough, I read this quote today from Venezuela's Oil Minister:

"We cannot allow that the market continue controlling the price ... The principles of OPEC were to act on the price of the crude oil, and we need to go back to the principles of OPEC."

Full article: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/23/
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    abacomike said:

One day last week, as I was returning from the Boca Towne Center Mall in Boca Raton, I was waiting at a traffic light to make a left turn out of the mall when I noticed a slow moving, 5-6 foot reptile waddling across the street on the other side of the traffic light (about 150 feet away) heading for a retention pond area. When the light turned green, I decided to go in for a closer look (I figured it was probably one of those huge Iguanas with a long tale which are pretty common down here). Low and behold, it was a 7-8 foot alligator taking its sweet old time moving perpendicular to the street heading toward a grassy area just short of a retention pond.

I've lived down here for 15 years now. Sure I've seen alligators at the the zoo and animal parks, but never have I seen one in the wild (if you can consider Boca Raton the "wild"). I dialed 911 on my cell to report the alligator to the police who in turn would contact animal control to capture this creature and ship him out to the Everglades (about 15 miles due west of me).

There have been hundreds of stories of missing cats, dogs and other pets (and sometimes even missing toddlers) who gave their lives to satisfy the appetites of many of these alligators. But it is essential to contact animal control so these "killers" can be removed from inhabited areas.

The police department thanked me for reporting the gator. They said they have received many reports of missing pets in the area and figured this was the culprit. Oh, the joys of living in a subtropical climate with all the pythons, iguanas, alligators and various and sundry other wild life moving about right under your very nose. I guess it's better than having to deal with 7-10 inches of snow. B)

I think I mentioned that the first time our family visited the Tampa area I was telling my younger son (about 14) to watch out for the gators. He gave me that teen look as if to say "what the heck are you babbling about old man?". As we pulled into the condos there was a 6 foot creature sitting on the edge of the retention pond. My son claimed it was made of rubber and refused to believe it was real until it slid into the pond.

That same week a jogger was grabbed by a much bigger one.

Personally, I'd rather wrestle every gator in Florida than go through another winter like last one where we had a foot of snow by Thanksgiving.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Need opinions.

BIL's Jeep Larado with, I believe the 3.7L 6cyl. Is having an overheating problem. Had a coolant leak repaired but is still overheating. Worried that his daughter, the princess, drove it hot too long and may have warped the heads.

Is this engine noted for head gasket problems? Could there be other causes for the continued overheating?

He doesn't need any more problems. His wife has advance MS and just got out of the hospital.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882

Need opinions.

BIL's Jeep Larado with, I believe the 3.7L 6cyl. Is having an overheating problem. Had a coolant leak repaired but is still overheating. Worried that his daughter, the princess, drove it hot too long and may have warped the heads.

Is this engine noted for head gasket problems? Could there be other causes for the continued overheating?

He doesn't need any more problems. His wife has advance MS and just got out of the hospital.

Does it overheat at idle or at speed? What year (approximately)? Check the actual size of the engine. I believe they all have their own quirks. That's a Cherokee, right?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    stickguy said:

GG, is the new MB C class on your watch list? or too small? Seemed pretty big in this iteration. That just looks like a real nice car.

Stick...I have looked at the new C Class. My sister has the previous gen C and LOVES it. I drove the current gen and liked it. It is a bit cramped for my taste, but I rarely drive with more than two people in the car at any given time (my wife and me).

IS/GS350 are on the list, as is the 340i and the TLX. That said, the CTS bought for what a totally loaded TLX costs is a whole lot of car for the money. It's also a whole lot of headache.

I even saw a Jag last weekend that I really liked....
    http://www.jaguarcincinnati.com/new/Jaguar/2015-Jaguar-XF-084f96d70a0a00de67b73897c26b064e.htm

That would make @laurasdada happy!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    verdugo said:

As if I didn't hate OPEC enough, I read this quote today from Venezuela's Oil Minister:

"We cannot allow that the market continue controlling the price ... The principles of OPEC were to act on the price of the crude oil, and we need to go back to the principles of OPEC."

Full article: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/23/

Not much OPEC can do about it. U.S. has learned how to produce cheap shale oil. Truth is, we've become oil independent. Any oil we buy from any outside source is because they priced it low. They can try to raise the price. We just won't buy it.

Plus, demand is tepid, and looks to continue that way.

What the oil minister of Venezuela doesn't seem to understand is he can raise his oil price any time he wants. Having customers for it is an entirely different matter. Surprising given he is an "oil minister". No one ever said politicians were all that bright, though.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947

Need opinions.

there are many possible causes of overheating. Are there any other indications of head or gasket damage such as oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil? Could be a fan, fan switch, thermostat, or a clog in the system. All just examples. Where was the original leak and how was it repaired? If it was a mickey mouse repair where they dumped stopleak into the system, well there is your problem.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    abacomike said:
    driver100 said:
    Welcome back Mike....good to have you back (hope Rob is reading and returns too, he came up with some good info). I didn't think you would buy again until the new E Class came out, but, I should have known better. Color choice sounds fabulous......Edmunds gives the CLS400 a great review.....ride it well.
    Thanks, driver.  That's an exact replica of what the new car looks like. :smile: 
    Congrats Mike! I guess you were happy with the trade value on the E400? Knowing you they probably did an even swap ;)
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options
    abacomike said:

;I knew I had a few but I just didn't remember - but none since the last century!

LOL.

And here I am on the 70th oil change on a leSabre with 206.5K miles.

• Options
    abacomike said:

Oh, the joys of living in a subtropical climate with all the pythons, iguanas, alligators and various and sundry other wild life moving about right under your very nose. I guess it's better than having to deal with 7-10 inches of snow. B)

I can chalk that up as _one_ advantage of living in Ohio rather than Florida.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited November 2015

Not much OPEC can do about it. U.S. has learned how to produce cheap shale oil. Truth is, we've become oil independent. Any oil we buy from any outside source is because they priced it low. They can try to raise the price. We just won't buy it.

Plus, demand is tepid, and looks to continue that way.

What the oil minister of Venezuela doesn't seem to understand is he can raise his oil price any time he wants. Having customers for it is an entirely different matter. Surprising given he is an "oil minister". No one ever said politicians were all that bright, though.

Well, shale oil is not that cheap. If it were, you wouldn't have many companies on the brink of bankruptcy. Not talking "big oil", but many independent midsize US oil companies need oil price at 60-70 bucks to just break even. It's not just about the recovery being more expensive, it's also about their debt service. There are some that can live with $50 oil, or less, provided that they can consummate savings from their suppliers (sand, water) due to lower demand for those things. Many of those guys had hedges at $70+, which made them OK for the time being, but those hedges are running out next year. The bond market is clearly saying this - Chesapeake (one of the largest gas/oil independents) bonds are crashing.

Essentially, we are independent at $70-80/barrell ($3-3.5/gallon for RUG), but not so much at $40/barrel. Current production levels are unsustainable and will drop eventually, if the price remains.

Now, what the Baduro's henchman says, is entirely different thing. Being a socialist, that guy has no understanding of markets at all, let alone commodity market. He is basically calling on Saudis to turn the spigot off. OPEC is falling apart, cause all these guys need prices higher to sustain their budgets, but none of them wants to lower production to lose customers and marketshare. They all agree though to their primary goal, which is to thwart the production in the US - they may succeed, unfortunately. That supply was what brought the prices down, if it drops, we may see higher prices again/ It will take them a couple of more years, though, or perhaps even more, as Iranian supply may displace any missing US supply.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Welcome back Mike....good to have you back (hope Rob is reading and returns too, he came up with some good info).

I didn't think you would buy again until the new E Class came out, but, I should have known better.

Color choice sounds fabulous......Edmunds gives the CLS400 a great review.....ride it well.

Thanks, driver.  That's an exact replica of what the new car looks like. :smile: 

Congrats Mike! I guess you were happy with the trade value on the E400? Knowing you they probably did an even swap ;)

That would have been nice, but no - it was certainly no even swap.

They gave me $52,000 for my E400 trade (I paid $61,000 for it last December (was an even trade)

This one MSRP's for $79,000 and I paid $67,000 +++ less my trade value. I was very pleased with the pricing and it really helps to have those Fleet Discounts and incentives. Whenever you can pay $5000 - $6000 below dealer invoice for a Mercedes, it's a bargain, to be sure.

The technology on this new 2016 CLS is far advanced when compared to the 2015 E400 or the 2014 CLS550. The new screen is huge and the graphics and colors are all in HD. It has taken me about 2 hours so far to be able select settings, find weather and operate the NAV systems. But once I got the hang of it, it was/is impressive.

I did not get the Park Assist this time because it is a waste of money - we have no parallel parking down here where I live - maybe on the coastline and downtown areas - but I never go there. It has a back-up camera. I did not get the Driver's Assistance Package because for 2016, they have a new Accident Avoidance System which does almost the same thing - when approaching another car too fast or a pedestrian, the car will brake itself if you do not brake. Same with backing up - if it senses an object or individual, it will brake by itself if you fail to brake fast enough.

I did not get the massage seats because I used them so seldom (I had the E400 for 1 year and had 8500 miles on the car. Where do I go?

It does have the sport suspension and staggered sized tires - 19" rims and summer performance tires. The car came with Pirelli Tires - first Mercedes I ever bought that had Pirelli's - they usually come with Continentals. Car handles like a sports car - had it up on the turnpike this morning early and it truly hugs the road - low profile. Since I am all alone now, and since no one sits in the back of the car, the small rear seating area is not a hindrance or negative to me. The front seats are larger and more comfortable than the E 400.

Insurance on the car is $45 per year more than the E400 which is not bac.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

carnaught said:

I'll get some for you.

Wife said the CTS's style means they aren't marketing it to women....too masculine looking. Not so sure about that, but I do find it handsome.
    I am sure my wife would say the same. That squared off look would probably be interpreted as looking more masculine. My wife hates the name Dodge "Ram"...thinks it is a little too macho.

Some cars are definitely more masculine...I don't remember seeing a woman drive a Dodge Magnum...

I do see a fair number of women driving Cadillacs in Florida, and I think to myself it was probably her departed husbands last car.

• Options

abacomike said:

Oh, the joys of living in a subtropical climate with all the pythons, iguanas, alligators and various and sundry other wild life moving about right under your very nose. I guess it's better than having to deal with 7-10 inches of snow. B)

I agree - but this was the first alligator I've ever seen "in the wild and alive" in over 15 years of living down here. You see large iguanas once in a while, but they are not dangerous like the gators. Quite frankly, I'll trade the cold and the snow for crossing the path a an alligator once every 15 years.

But the real animal menaces down here are the old humans who insist on driving their car even if they can't see, hear or see over their steering wheel. I'm only 5-10 years away from that happening to me - but I would know when it was time for me to turn in my license and sell the car.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    it was a 7-8 foot alligator taking its sweet old time moving perpendicular to the street heading toward a grassy area just short of a retention pond.
    I have heard traffic reports where an alligator is crossing I-75 or some other road.

Talking about pests in Florida, is there a good way to remove a Gecko from your home? The little guy ran in when the door was open. I tried to catch him in a container, but they are pretty fast.

I know they are harmless, but I don't want him running across my head in the middle of the night. I asked one guy and he said you will usually find them dead and dried out in a few days.....at least they don't smell. :s

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    driver100 said:

I am sure my wife would say the same. That squared off look would probably be interpreted as looking more masculine. My wife hates the name Dodge "Ram"...thinks it is a little too macho.

Some cars are definitely more masculine...I don't remember seeing a woman drive a Dodge Magnum...

I do see a fair number of women driving Cadillacs in Florida, and I think to myself it was probably her departed husbands last car.

You picked the rarest Magnum of all- a 2008 SRT, which combines the one year only facelifted front fascia with all of the Street Race Technology go-fast goodies. I'd love to have one- even with an automatic...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    driver100 said:
    it was a 7-8 foot alligator taking its sweet old time moving perpendicular to the street heading toward a grassy area just short of a retention pond.
    I have heard traffic reports where an alligator is crossing I-75 or some other road. Talking about pests in Florida, is there a good way to remove a Gecko from your home? The little guy ran in when the door was open. I tried to catch him in a container, but they are pretty fast. I know they are harmless, but I don't want him running across my head in the middle of the night. I asked one guy and he said you will usually find them dead and dried out in a few days.....at least they don't smell. :s
    Yes there is a way of removing a Gecko - I just did it!  I called Geico and just canceled the policy.  Now, no more Gecko! :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Mike said:
    The technology on this new 2016 CLS is far advanced when compared to the 2015 E400 or the 2014 CLS550. The new screen is huge and the graphics and colors are all in HD. It has taken me about 2 hours so far to be able select settings, find weather and operate the NAV systems. But once I got the hang of it, it was/is impressive
    That's another reason I wouldn't trade in a new car every year.......I haven't learned all the technology on this one yet I finally learned how to operate the GPS and media center.

Besides, I just got the Homelink working, don't want to go through that again. Also, my GPS memory settings, seats, and radio settings would be lost.

• Options
    dino...agree with you about one of the last bastions of socialism, Venezuela isn't very "in tune" with free markets (matter of fact, neither are those induviduals/companies who try to manipulate oil commodities).

I'll have to dig it up, but last report I got showed the huge gains in shale oil efficiency gains just in the last 12 months. That has driven down the cost of finding and refining pretty dramatically. The "reasons" we used to see for alleged oil runups have all proven false with North America becoming oil independent. The tragedy in France would have sent oil prices sky rocketing 4-5 years ago. Now, it wasn't even a blip.

Same goes for ongoing middle east tensions (which continue). The free market ignores those given there is no longer any credibility that's lended to them without collusion and price manipulations at play by financial markets.

Free market puts oil right where it should have been all along. Demand isn't going to pick up any time in the foreseeable future. Matter of fact, I can't see a scenario where it picks up at all given the fuel efficiencies of cars coming to market with alternate fuel and efficiency technologies coming on line.

Small gain, but even my '16 CTS has technologies I never would have dreamed of are in play. It's a relatively fast car. (sub 6 second 0-60) that so far, on a green drivetrain, is getting 24 MPG with me sticking my foot in it regularly (not a believer in "break-in"). How is that done? Heck, the grill slats close to make the car more aerodynamic at speed, for example. Point being, more and more technologies are focused on performance while increasing fuel efficiency. Those were diametrically opposed just a few short years ago.

Big money has run away from oil. Some will probably come back as the shale oil producers become more and more efficient. Drilling is the "old" way of getting oil, though. OPEC is stuck with expensive ways of getting their oil. In order to survive, they'll have to get more efficient. They will, but more as a way to be competitive at lower oil prices vs just being able to raise prices on a whim.

As is always the case, the only ones in favor of higher oil prices are those affiliated with, or invested in, the oil sector. Other than that, the way oil is now, we're staying out of wars with oil producing nations. We're seeing the beginnings of another economic boom because of low oil prices. And, more money can be invested in other, much more important areas because of lower oil prices. It's a win-win!

Someone would have some serious 'splainin' to do if the price of gas started approaching $3/gal again. The Economic fundamentals just won't support it at that price. And, oil companies are making money at lower prices. They'll only get better at it.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

carnaught said:

I'll get some for you.

Driver...my wife went with me to drop off the old CTS when I got the new one. They had a couple of ATS's sitting in the showroom. She said she'd consider driving an ATS, but not a CTS. They aren't THAT different style wise. Who knows the thought process, though.

I told her while she's gone to China, I'll be flogging her Accord. She "harrumphed" me with that statement.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015

abacomike said:

;I knew I had a few but I just didn't remember - but none since the last century!

LOL.

70th? Wow, my count was 24 oil & filter changes on the Quest at 200,000.

Edmunds just got a '16 Miata for the fleet and the discussion is all about whether it's a chick car. It's mostly guys driving them around here.
  • Options
    steve knew
    70th? Wow, my count was 24 oil & filter changes on the Quest at 200,0

I might. Have exaggerated a little. LOL
    I DO OIL changes myself. Maybe every 4000.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

abacomike said:

LOL.

What, you've still got that LeSabre? I thought you were going to get rid of that thing. (smile)
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

Someone would have some serious 'splainin' to do if the price of gas started approaching $3/gal again. The Economic fundamentals just won't support it at that price. And, oil companies are making money at lower prices. They'll only get better at it.

Some do, some don't - that's the point. It's cyclical, it changes. It will periodically go out of whack with fundamentals in either direction, as supplies and demand react to each other with a lag. You say there are no economic fundamentals for $3/gal, yet that price persisted for several years and was only brought down by increased supply that was growing over the years.

I think there is no "explaining" needed - they will charge as much as they can get away with it, as long as the sales match whatever they are able to pump. Just like Apple does, or Colgate, or Honda, or fill-the-blank. It's just that market reactions are not necessarily immediate and can be distorted for extended periods. There is an old adage - best cure for high prices is more high prices. We just saw it in last three years. Also the opposite is true - when prices persist too low to sustain marginal player, they'll go away and the supply will go down. I'm not shedding tears over those companies on the verge. Had some bad investments in the patch, but not too large and can only blame myself for the poor choice. However, if we don't feel sympathy for those bankrupt, or suddenly way poorer than before oil barons, we should not be too outraged, when they make "too much" money at times. The smartest of them (small percentage) know when to stop, the rest of them always overspends, overinvests and gets wiped out in the downturn. That's how those cycles work, that's also why this business is so tough overall. It can reward you well, but it can also wipe you out. There is some wiping happening right now. 2016 may be the real carnage. It's good, the capital will restructure to support those best, not just anybody. But the prices will go up some day, then they will overshoot again - then we will all be outraged, Congress will have hearings and the cycle will repeat itself.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Mike, very sorry to hear about your health problems. Best wishes on a speedy recovery, although 5 more months on those drugs doesn't sound good at all.

And congratulations on the new car, looks very nice!

I don't buy as often as you, but I have traded around quite a bit in the past few years. Some of my relatives think I'm nuts, but I know there will come a time when I will have to give up my license and sell my car(s), and right now I want to enjoy this while I can.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited November 2015
    abacomike said:

Back around '82 me, my brother and his wife were driving across Alligator Alley on our way to the east coast from St. Petersburg. We stopped for a break at a state picnic park somewhere along there. It was pretty desolate back then along that road, maybe still is, and this was one of the few places along the way that seemed OK to stop at.

We were sitting at a picnic table when we saw a number of gators walking along the edge of the road nose to tail heading for a waterway that bordered the park. A couple were quite large, with some smaller ones too. Probably 5 or 6 of them in total. We were very close to the car so we just watched and if any had begun detouring in our direction, we were ready to jump in. They ignored us though and crossed through the lawn, sauntered over to the edge of the water, and slid in. Scary.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stever said:

discussion is all about whether it's a chick car. It's mostly guys driving them around here.
    At first one may think of a Miata as a chick car, but, it really shouldn't be. I think I see more men driving them than women.

The thing is, the Miata is the only car in it's class. If you are in the market for a good inexpensive sports type car, similar to British sports cars from the past - but that is much more reliable and better made - the Miata wins easily.

It is a natural for anyone, man or woman who wants that type of car.......and that probably makes it more to men than women.

• Options
    henryn said:
    Mike, very sorry to hear about your health problems. Best wishes on a speedy recovery, although 5 more months on those drugs doesn't sound good at all. And congratulations on the new car, looks very nice! I don't buy as often as you, but I have traded around quite a bit in the past few years. Some of my relatives think I'm nuts, but I know there will come a time when I will have to give up my license and sell my car(s), and right now I want to enjoy this while I can.
    Of course we're nuts!  How can we be anywhere inside the realm of sanity?  Buying a new car every 11 months is more closely related with/to pure insanity.  If my doctor had any hint of what I do pleasuring myself in new Mercedes-Benz vehicles ever 10-11 months, he'd have me admitted to the closest insane asylum for the rest of my life! :open_mouth: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    @driver100, check out the new Fiat. Miata underpinnings with Italian style. Should be nice.

2017 Fiat 124 Spider Coming to Fiat Dealerships Next Summer

• Options

abacomike said:

IMID....I've been meaning to ask you this for a very long time. Are you in Covington? If not, you're close, right?
  • Options
    Just got some new blood test results.

Hemoglobin is 10.7
    White blood cell count 10.1
    Red blood cell count 3.8
    Hep C Viral Load - undetectable 

The viral load the last 3 months while taking Harvoni was undetectable as well, but we all know what happened 4 weeks after I finished the regimen.  So I won't get excited until/unless the virus is undetectable 6 months after I stop taking this Viekira and Ribavirin.

My red blood cell count is low still.  It should be 4.3-6.0.  So the nurses and my gastroenterologist are deciding whether I should reduce my intake of the Ribavirin by 200-400 mgs.  I take 1200 each day.

While typing this post, the doctor called and he wants to leave all meds and doses unchanged.

He said if the shortness of breathe becomes more frequent and my chest pains increase in intensity, to go straight to the emergency room.  He feels it's the low red blood cell count causing most of my side effects.

Good grief, and buying the new car didn't even make me happy for 5 minutes.

2021 Genesis G90