Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225

I actually bought one!

We recently bought a 55 inch Samsung high def television from Costco. It was funny because
    I couldn't find anyone to answer a question I had but when I got in line to check out, a guy came running up to me to pitch the warranty.

Now, I NEVER buy extended warranties but it was so inexpensive and so comprehensive that I went for it. It was something like 30.00 for five years.

When I was a very young manager for a major retailer, "Maintenance Agreements" were pushed on appliances and the people that sold them were expected to maintain a certain percentage.

They even sold them on vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers.

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,909

@sterlingdog said:

Richard, those full sized p.u.'s are HUGE. Drive one and park it a few times. Also check and make sure it will fit in your garage, especially if you are thinking about the double cab.

That said, I recently acquired an older (2002) Tacoma, 4wd, double cab p.u. that I really enjoy driving. A pick up can really come in handy.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,534
    edited June 2014

@Mr_Shiftright said:. . . Come ye to my F&I pirate's liar!

>

Bear in mind that a lair and a liar are different, but both apply to this wonderful industry.

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,458

Richard, those full sized p.u.'s are HUGE. Drive one and park it a few times. Also check and make sure it will fit in your garage, especially if you are thinking about the double cab.

Agreed. I have a 2013 F150, double cab (crew cab, whatever). I work downtown, park on the 13th floor of a huge parking garage (tight spiral ramp). The truck will fit, but it's no fun at all getting it in and out. I actually had to replace the OEM radio antenna with a shorter unit.

One reason I keep my Passat. The Passat eats up that spiral ramp, and slides easily into parking spaces that the truck would only sneer at.

2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,162

@houdini1 said:
    . Also check and make sure it will fit in your garage, especially if you are thinking about the double cab.

Don't forget to check height as well as width and length for garage fit. Friends bought a van that was too tall for their attached garage entrance.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,450
    edited June 2014

@cdnpinhead said:
    Bear in mind that a lair and a liar are different, but both apply to this wonderful industry.

I would correct the typo but since it might be Freudian, I'll leave it up.

I don't think most salespeople lie--I just think they are part of this drama that we all have to go through, for some reason---this Turkish rug market, one-act play:

Merchant: "You offer how much? What, do you want to steal the very food from my children's mouths?"

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited June 2014

Puffing is mostly legal it seems.

All the cars I've sold have had original miles. Whatever that means - every mile was original to the car at least. :p

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,299
    edited June 2014
    RICHARD - WELCOME ME TO YOUR CLUB!!!

@sterlingdog:

On Saturday, my internet access went down. I originally thought it was an area problem but, alas, it was probably my line or my modem/router. I called Comcast and Sunday morning, their technician arrived. He said it was my modem that crashed.

He replaced my modem (which has a router included for WiFi), and I again had internet access at noon yesterday. But that was just the beginning of my trials and tribulations. You see, because the modem/router is in the back bedroom (Dad's room), the WiFi signal is very weak by the time it gets to the front bedroom. 2 years ago I bought a "repeater" and set it up in the living room. It picks up the signal from the back bedroom, amplifies it, and sends out the signal to the front bedroom, where I use my iPhone for accessing the internet.

Unfortunately, when he changed the modem/router, the repeater was not able to convert the signal since it is on a different frequency. So I read the directions first. After reading them 4 times and fiddling with passwords and codes and wires, etc., I went to my Dad and asked him for his .38 caliber pistol so I could put myself out of my misery.

Next, after choosing life over death this time, I called Amped Wireless to get some technical assistance. After waiting for 55 minutes on the phone for a technician, I was overjoyed when a young man answered in a strange and husky accent - probably from the southern Asian peninsula adjacent to the Indian Ocean. I could not understand one out of every two words he spoke. After 1 hour on the phone and getting absolutely nowhere, I hung up. I had wires, disks, power lines and papers filled with my notes all around me in a 6 foot circumference around the computer desk.

I had second thoughts about my decision to live rather than commit suicide when, as if "Manna" from heaven, I saw a business card drop to the floor from all my cache of notes and directions. It was this geek who put my computer together three years ago - there is a God, no doubt about it.

I called him, left a message, and he called me back and said he would be over at 4:00 PM today to fix the programming of the new router. He got here at 4:10 PM, asked for a cold drink, sat down at the computer, and 4 minutes later, he asked me for a password for the router. One minute later, and $40.00 poorer, he left and my repeater was working perfectly.

Richard, why couldn't I do that?

2018 Mercedes S450

You paid him for what he KNEW, not what he did!

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,655

@isellhondas said:
    I actually bought one!

Now, I NEVER buy extended warranties but it was so inexpensive and so comprehensive that I went for it. It was something like 30.00 for five years.

Tough to pass up at that price , vehicle warranty prices, much easier to pass on.

@abacomike said:
    Unfortunately, when he changed the modem/router, the repeater was not able to convert the signal since it is on a different frequency. So I read the directions first.

A suggestion for further help with the kind of event you had is to search for the name and model of the modem on the net and add search terms "how to reset" or something similar. Often others have put into English the methods that may be in the manuals but are totally not understandable.

Sometimes the manufacturer's website for that item will have FAQ where the very thing I need has already been explained better.

I was overjoyed when a young man answered in a strange and husky accent - probably from the southern Asian peninsula adjacent to the Indian Ocean. I could not understand one out of every two words he spoke.

Just had the same problem calling Kohl's department store, and they're based in WI and make a big deal of their being a caring, US company.

$40.00 poorer, he left and my repeater was working perfectly.

If only the Comcast tech had done it for you, although it wasn't their repeater, it needed service because of a modem failure.
    And if only you'd know at the beginning, it would have been good to just call in help for $40 without having clean and oil the artillery.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/1941267/#Comment_1941267

The link is to a discussion of documentation fees here on Edmunds.

@Mr_Shiftright‌ said:

"You paid him for what he KNEW, not what he did!"

No, I paid him for what he did! If I paid him for what he knew, that knowledge is worthless unless the knowledge was used by him to "do" the deed! The possession of knowledge is not worth the $40.00. It's the physical labor (5 minutes worth) on his part that earned him the money.

@imidazol97‌:

The Comcast tech was unfamiliar with the process of hooking up the repeater with new frequencies and passwords. I offered him $25.00 to help me out - he said he could use the extra $25.00, but he had no idea how to accomplish the task.

You are correct in your assumption that all Comcast is responsible for is the modem/router. The repeater is my add- on.

2018 Mercedes S450

@imidazol97‌ said:

"Don't forget to check height as well as width and length for garage fit. Friends bought a van that was too tall for their attached garage entrance."

After reading your post, I remembered back in 1971, after we bought our first home, I purchased a Chevrolet wagon to not only haul the kids around, but to help with the move from our apartment to the new home. After many trips back and forth, I was exhausted. The movers had finished moving in our furniture so I decided to put the wagon in the garage. Unfortunately, I was able to put only 95% of it in. The custom cabinets I put in the garage to make a workshop (I loved woodworking) prevented me from getting the rear I the car behind the garage door.

That wagon sat on the driveway for the duration of my ownership of it.

2018 Mercedes S450

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 12,770

@abacomike said:
    Mr_Shiftright‌ said:

"You paid him for what he KNEW, not what he did!"

No, I paid him for what he did! If I paid him for what he knew, that knowledge is worthless unless the knowledge was used by him to "do" the deed! The possession of knowledge is not worth the $40.00. It's the physical labor (5 minutes worth) on his part that earned him the money.

$40 to have someone show up at your home and provide a service is a bargain. Where I live the basic show up fee is $100. The actual service is extra.

Compared to me you and Richard are IT geniuses. When I set up the wifi in my house I had to have one of my son's friends from his high school special class do it. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,314

Need Financing Help

My daughter lives in the DCMV (District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia) area and cannot find a lender willing to finance the purchase of a condo she can afford.

She's seen several attractive condo's but because of the foreclosure rates in these developments no one is willing to go beyond the pre-approval stage.

Any ideas how she can get financed? She has excellent credit, no car loans and little credit card debt.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863

Unfortunately, with a condo purchase both the buyer and the building/association have to meet the lender requirements. She is finding attractive pricing in some developments because of the high foreclosure rates which makes it more difficult to qualify the development.

My suggestion: look for more stable developments.

@bwia said:

"My daughter lives in the DCMV (District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia) area and cannot find a lender willing to finance the purchase of a condo she can afford."

It may be necessary to provide the bank with a co-signer if she can't find a lender and/or a condo development willing to get her into a unit.

Her credit score could be inhibiting her progress on both ends. If her average FICA score (average of the 3 credit bureaus) is below 720, that might be the reason - or she is not putting enough money down, or her income does not meet the minimums established by the banks and/or the condo development.

I think it would be worth your time and effort to try to find out the reason(s) she is having so much difficulty.

2018 Mercedes S450

• steverstever Posts: 52,462

We do have a Houses cost too much! discussion. I could use some advice over there myself.

• fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459

@driver100 said:
    The Galaxy 10 is useless for this...I can't copy and paste.
    Also touchscreen is going to make me insane.

Here's a mini tutorial for copy/paste on Android. http://www.androidcentral.com/android-101-using-copy-paste

2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    edited June 2014

@abacomike‌

What I meant was that the $40 seems like a lot for 5 minutes, but his knowledge allowed him to do the job in 5 minutes. I think I misinterpreted your reaction. I thought that you thought that $40 was a lot of money for 5 minutes work, so I was defending the fee because it solved the problem.

You see this dilemma quite a bit in auto repair, where the experienced mechanic "beats" the flat rate by a considerable margin and still charges you the flat rate.

Some folks think this unfair but again, if it took him 20 years to learn enough to beat the flat rate, more power to him.

Of course, this presumes that he's actually doing the job he is supposed to. If he can do a 10 hour clutch job in 5, with his know-how and fancy tools, then fine. But if he fixes a leaking hydraulic line and calls it a "clutch job", that of course is dishonest.

There are thousands of variations to the story but this sums it up:

There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. Several years later his company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multi-million dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine fixed, but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past. The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine. At the end of the day he marked a small "x" in chalk on a particular component of the machine and proudly stated, "This is where your problem is." The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $10,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly: One chalk mark......................$1 Knowing where to put it........$9,999 It was paid in full and the engineer retired in peace

@Mr_Shiftright‌ said:

" I thought that you thought that $40 was a lot of money for 5 minutes work, so I was defending the fee because it solved the problem."

Not at all. $40.00 is a very fair and reasonable price to pay for getting my repeater set up.

2018 Mercedes S450

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 12,770

@robr2 said:
    There are thousands of variations to the story but this sums it up:

There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. Several years later his company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multi-million dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine fixed, but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past. The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine. At the end of the day he marked a small "x" in chalk on a particular component of the machine and proudly stated, "This is where your problem is." The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $10,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly: One chalk mark......................$1 Knowing where to put it........$9,999 It was paid in full and the engineer retired in peace

That story supposedly originated with Charles Steinmetz a genius electrical engineer and contemporary of Thomas Edison.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,314

@bwia said:

"My daughter lives in the DCMV (District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia) area and cannot find a lender willing to finance the purchase of a condo she can afford."

@abacomike said:It may be necessary to provide the bank with a co-signer if she can't find a lender and/or a condo development willing to get her into a unit.

Her credit score could be inhibiting her progress on both ends. If her average FICA score (average of the 3 credit bureaus) is below 720, that might be the reason - or she is not putting enough money down, or her income does not meet the minimums established by the banks and/or the condo development.

I think it would be worth your time and effort to try to find out the reason(s) she is having so much difficulty.

She has an 811 FICO score and only $1,100 in consumer debt. One lender told her that with her impeccable credit history she would qualify for a mortgage with only 5% down. She could put more money down if she tapped into her 401(k) but is reluctant to do so at this time.

The big hang-up with financing is the percentage of owner occupied units in the condo development/s. If it is below a certain percentage lenders won't budge. In some sectors of the housing market prices have rebounded appreciably but in others where owners are upside down they simply choose to walk away thus creating a vicious circle.

Mike, based on your suggestion she will try to see if the lender will entertain the idea of a cosigner. My wife and I are both willing to cosign for her and return take her off our Will.

@bwia said:

Mike, based on your suggestion she will try to see if the lender will entertain the idea of a cosigner. My wife and I are both willing to cosign for her and return take her off our Will.

Give it a shot but I wouldn't expect that to work. The building doesn't meet the standards needed for Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac so your co-signing won't change that. Unless of course the bank is planning to keep the loan for it's portfolio but that's rare nowadays.

@bwia said:

"Mike, based on your suggestion she will try to see if the lender will entertain the idea of a cosigner. My wife and I are both willing to cosign for her and return take her off our Will."

After reading your post regarding her FICO score, the only thing I can surmise is that the down payment is insufficient to convince the condo board that your daughter is acceptable considering all the vacant units. Co-signing May not do the trick in this scenario. It might just be the condo association holding things up.

Let us know how things turn out. An. 800+ FICO score is not the problem here - it's the amount of the mortgage IMHO.

2018 Mercedes S450

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,534
    edited June 2014

I'd throw in with the notion that the upfront money (down payment) would need to be greater when the development/developer is "questionable."

If she's planning to be there awhile and the building(s) are sound and in a good location, she can probably ride it out but needs to be prepared to put more down.

We've all seen vinyl roofs, gold trim, and other things on cars. Guess what this car is? It has an unusual hood ornament.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,033

I like it, whatever it is. Maybe I should throw one of those on my Volvo? Give my daughter a thrill?

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)