Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    stickguy said:

Makes sense if it is the Breld family. Other than the Civic part.

@breld had a Civic Type R
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @henryn,
    If you are going to go there with payload, you have to post what the rating is for your F150. :#
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

@henryn,
    If you are going to go there with payload, you have to post what the rating is for your F150. :#

I don't know exactly. Somewhere between 1,500 and 3,100 pounds, depending on a number of factors. Mine being a regular car, long bed, with the V8 engine, probably towards the higher end of that range. I was just kidding him a little, as I recall the Maverick has a pretty decent load capacity. Given the extremely small bed size, I think that would limit you more than the payload capacity.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    henryn said:

@henryn,

I don't know exactly. Somewhere between 1,500 and 3,100 pounds, depending on a number of factors. Mine being a regular car, long bed, with the V8 engine, probably towards the higher end of that range. I was just kidding him a little, as I recall the Maverick has a pretty decent load capacity. Given the extremely small bed size, I think that would limit you more than the payload capacity.
    Your F150 is a regular car? That I would like to see.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

henryn said:

@henryn,

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Regular cab, of course.

I was thinking of you and your tax business earlier today. This year, I am required to take the RMD from my IRA account(s), and I was trying to figure out how much tax to send for my quarterly tax payments. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I know almost to the penny what my income for the year will be, but trying to figure out the taxes on that is a pain. And I do mean a Pain, with a capital P. My primary source of income is Social Security, and determining just how much of that is taxable is something I would rather not ever have to do again. But of course I will, each and every year.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    henryn said:

henryn said:

@henryn,

I was thinking of you and your tax business earlier today. This year, I am required to take the RMD from my IRA account(s), and I was trying to figure out how much tax to send for my quarterly tax payments. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I know almost to the penny what my income for the year will be, but trying to figure out the taxes on that is a pain. And I do mean a Pain, with a capital P. My primary source of income is Social Security, and determining just how much of that is taxable is something I would rather not ever have to do again. But of course I will, each and every year.
    If your RMDs are substantial, then 85% of your SSA benefits will be taxable.

When I have big changes, I like to just let it go for one year, to see how much I owe. The penalties for underpayment are relatively small.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

finally put my truck to work. Had to pick up a dog crate from someone in our rescue. Backed up the driveway, dropped the tailgate, rolled back the tonneau cover, and threw it in. Much easier than dropping seats in the CUV and having to clamber in and slide it in at an angle.

Be careful you don't exceed your weight limit! (ducking and running for cover)
    Or scratch the spray-in bed liner on that toy pickup. Do you have any extra space in your hiding place?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    henryn said:

henryn said:

@henryn,

Since I had to pay the state of PA more than what they set for owing them taxes, they want me to send them estimated taxes quarterly. I despise that kind of stuff so I’ve ignored their request the past 2 years. To teach me a lesson they have sent me a letter in August for each tax year fining me for not sending them my estimated quarterly taxes for that year. I was fined a whopping 20 something bucks for that. I’ll gladly pay that rather than pay my taxes on time and more importantly saving all the time and paper work to do that 4 times a year.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

henryn said:

henryn said:

@henryn,

If your RMDs are substantial, then 85% of your SSA benefits will be taxable.

When I have big changes, I like to just let it go for one year, to see how much I owe. The penalties for underpayment are relatively small.
    I worked my way through it eventually, and I think I at least have ball park numbers now. I found a worksheet for 2021 and used that to approximate 2022. Assuming no major changes this year, I should at least be close.

• Options
    henryn said:

henryn said:

@henryn,

I want to help my poster buddy, so this is what you do just send me all your money and I will make sure the IRS gets their share and keep err send you, yeah that's it send you the rest.

To figure out how much is taxable take your adjusted gross income, plus non taxable interest plus one half of your social security. If the total is less than $25K ($32K for joint filers) then non of it is taxable, If its less than $34K ($44K for joint filers) it's taxed at 50% and over that 85% would be taxable.

• Options
    One good thing about moving to OH from CT is that SS is not taxed as income by the state.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

henryn said:

@henryn,

Since I had to pay the state of PA more than what they set for owing them taxes, they want me to send them estimated taxes quarterly. I despise that kind of stuff so I’ve ignored their request the past 2 years. To teach me a lesson they have sent me a letter in August for each tax year fining me for not sending them my estimated quarterly taxes for that year. I was fined a whopping 20 something bucks for that. I’ll gladly pay that rather than pay my taxes on time and more importantly saving all the time and paper work to do that 4 times a year.

jmonroe
    I never had to pay estimated tax because farmers are exempt. Now that I’m retired I don’t know how that will pan out. All I know is that I have pretty consistent income and when I go through their complicated worksheets it comes out as SS being 85% taxable. One year they said I owed an extra $700 and the next year they sent me a check for $2000.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited March 2022
    What I used was IRS Publication 915 (you can google for that). It's a PDF file, and has a worksheet which is a pain in the keister but doable. It seems to be the same calculations that Snakeweasel described (above).
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I think the HR block software I use to do my taxes will figure all this stuff out. I have 7 years and change though before I would be taking SS to figure it all out.

taxing SS just sounds like a really cheesy move.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    got lucky today. Called my local appliance repair guy, but (as I thought) they don't work on Samsung. So took a shot and called Lowes since I bought it there. Turns out they were happy to set up a service appointment with their outside partner, and offered a slot for tomorrow 1st thing. seemed fishy but I took it.

heard nothing all day until about 7 when the guy who will be coming called to confirm. had a nice chat and explained the problem, and he was pretty sure what it was, and even confirmed he had that part on the truck. So with any luck, tomorrow it will be all fixed and the wife can bake again. And I will save $600 compared to buying a new range.

• Options

One good thing about moving to OH from CT is that SS is not taxed as income by the state.

Illinois doesn't tax SS or pensions or distributions from retirement accounts.

• Options

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

henryn said:

@henryn,

jmonroe
    I never had to pay estimated tax because farmers are exempt. Now that I’m retired I don’t know how that will pan out. All I know is that I have pretty consistent income and when I go through their complicated worksheets it comes out as SS being 85% taxable. One year they said I owed an extra $700 and the next year they sent me a check for $2000.
    That’s the result of cheating. It works for everyone not just me.

jmonroe
  • Options
    henryn said:

What I used was IRS Publication 915 (you can google for that). It's a PDF file, and has a worksheet which is a pain in the keister but doable. It seems to be the same calculations that Snakeweasel described (above).

That’s a clever way of saying @snakeweasel is a pain in the keister without actually saying it. :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @snakweasel,
    No way I'm moving to Illinois. People are moving out of there for a reason.
    I do enjoy visiting Chicago.
  • Options

Illinois doesn't tax SS or pensions or distributions from retirement accounts.
    They’re like NY they don’t want all the rich old coots running to Florida to avoid taxes.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited March 2022
    stickguy said:

taxing SS just sounds like a really cheesy move.

Well, they do, and then again they don't. If SS is your only (declared) income, you don't pay any taxes. If you have income from other sources, then some of your SS may be taxed, up to 85%. Last year (2021 tax year), my only income was SS and I paid -0- taxes. This year, I'm going to be getting about $19k for the Required Minimum Distribution from my IRA, and it looks like about $11k of my SS will be taxable. Still not bad though.

People who are forced to live only on their SS are not going to be paying federal income taxes. Of course, the state you live in may take a chunk.

I would not relocate to Florida myself, if I were going to move to another state to retire it would probably be New Mexico or Arizona. Now Mike (@abacomike) does seem to have a pretty good setup there, I remember him describing the place where he lives, costs, etc, and it sounded pretty good actually. Speaking of Mike, how is your grandson doing, the one who was a baseball player in college?
  • Options
    I am definitely looking at the wrong place to move. At least coming from NJ, not much can actually be worse!

Unfortunately the wife is more interested in moving to be near all our family, not going someplace with favorable taxes and cost of living.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926

@stickguy said:
    got lucky today. Called my local appliance repair guy, but (as I thought) they don't work on Samsung. So took a shot and called Lowes since I bought it there. Turns out they were happy to set up a service appointment with their outside partner, and offered a slot for tomorrow 1st thing. seemed fishy but I took it.

heard nothing all day until about 7 when the guy who will be coming called to confirm. had a nice chat and explained the problem, and he was pretty sure what it was, and even confirmed he had that part on the truck. So with any luck, tomorrow it will be all fixed and the wife can bake again. And I will save $600 compared to buying a new range.

Samsung actually has their own repair network too. I called the number on my fridge and they came out and fixed my ice maker (no charge amazingly).

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguy said:

I am definitely looking at the wrong place to move. At least coming from NJ, not much can actually be worse!

Unfortunately the wife is more interested in moving to be near all our family, not going someplace with favorable taxes and cost of living.

On the upside you should get a great deal on the U-Haul. Most of them around here are traveling in the other direction.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    tjc78 said:

Samsung actually has their own repair network too.

Sounds like they need one.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2022

@henryn:

You asked about my grandson - the one at UCSB (San Bernardino). He has started throwing again - it’s been 14 months since his Tommy John surgery on his pitching arm. Hopefully he will be pitching this summer and his doctors and coaches are very happy with his progress. In order to maintain his status, they made him team manager so he travels with the team.

He is studying kinesiology and wants to be a sports trainer and personal trainer like his Dad (my son).

As for Florida, the cost of living down here is the main reason I settled here for the rest of my life. We have no state income taxes which saves me quite a bit. With the warmer climate, there is no need for seasonal clothing and there is no air pollution. Admittedly, the summers can be difficult, but I have lived here for 22 years and the summers don’t bother me much like they used to when I first moved here. You get accustomed to the heat and humidity just like my family adjusts to the severe summer heat in the low desert (100+ temps every day during late May through October).

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:
    On the upside you should get a great deal on the U-Haul. Most of them around here are traveling in the other direction.

Based on how fast houses are selling up there, somebody wants to live in the area.

• Options

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Samsung actually has their own repair network too. I called the number on my fridge and they came out and fixed my ice maker (no charge amazingly).

My understanding is that Samsung is having big issues with their ice makers and is facing a possible class action lawsuit about that. I have talked to a few people that had Samsung bending over backwards to fix ice maker issues at no charge. Likely to ward off a lawsuit.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Repair guy just left. Very nice. Put in a new OEM part. After watching him do it, I put the job in the category of “I could do it if I had to, but I’d rather not”. And it helps to have the right tools and know the tricks.

Chatted a bit about brands. He explained some specific design flaws on the Samsung fridge. And said to fix our kitchen aid DW if possible because it was built like a tank.

Also confirmed what I thought about the cheap Amazon knockoff parts. Cheaper for a reason.

Anyway, wife is happy because her oven works again. I didn’t have to crawl into the dumb thing to reach the back. Bank account a little lighter but how didn’t blow up, so overall, I’m good with it.

He did show how black and beat up the old igniter was. No wonder it was shot.

• Options
    I remember reading years ago about how some stove brands produced a hybrid type of range with gas burners on top but an electric oven, because of some shortcomings/issues with having a gas oven.

I have gas service to my house for the furnace, but really no desire for a gas stove. I can't imagine those products of combustion going into the air are good for you.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882
    ab348 said:

I remember reading years ago about how some stove brands produced a hybrid type of range with gas burners on top but an electric oven, because of some shortcomings/issues with having a gas oven.

I have gas service to my house for the furnace, but really no desire for a gas stove. I can't imagine those products of combustion going into the air are good for you.

Bakers love electric ovens and the electric cook tops are not like your Mom's, they heat up almost instantly.

When we redid our kitchen a few years ago I asked Mrs. venture what she preferred and chose electric. (They are also nice because your dog can't turn on the burners. :o )

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    My wife hates electric stove. She wants her gas burners.

Not sure if she has an opinion on the oven part though. Will have to ask.

• Options

We have a glass flat top electric at the shore. Not sure I could live with that on a daily basis. Gas all the way. As for ovens. I never realized how uneven a gas oven is until we moved into the house which has a double electric wall oven. Works very well and it’s only a mid range GE.

Re: Samsung
    Yes they absolutely have ice maker issues. Well known and yes they are fixing anyone’s who calls and complains. They also have fridges that ice up in the rear. That one is tougher to get fixed under warranty.

• Options
    There have been recent articles/studies about how bad the air might be in your house, if you have gas burners.

At least the gas furnace brings in air from outside, and vents it, the same way.

We have natural gas, but only for the furnace and water heater.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

I’ve seen those studies, but how many hours a day do you actually use the burners? Even if you took the aggregate of each burner’s run time it can’t be much more than an hour each day. Exception might be on a Sunday if I’m making a pot of gravy but even so it’s on so low.

I guess if you are really worried about it always turn your blower hood on (provided it vents to the outside and not a useless recirculating type).

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited March 2022

@stickguy said:
    Repair guy just left. Very nice. Put in a new OEM part. After watching him do it, I put the job in the category of “I could do it if I had to, but I’d rather not”. And it helps to have the right tools and know the tricks.

Chatted a bit about brands. He explained some specific design flaws on the Samsung fridge. And said to fix our kitchen aid DW if possible because it was built like a tank.

Also confirmed what I thought about the cheap Amazon knockoff parts. Cheaper for a reason.

Anyway, wife is happy because her over works again. I didn’t have to crawl into the dumb thing to reach the back. Bank account a little lighter but how didn’t blow up, so overall, I’m good with it.

He did show how black and beat up the old igniter was. No wonder it was shot.

Don’t worry, since her over is working again, I won’t ask how her under is working 🤣😂

• Options
    We have an electric stove, but my daughter has a gas cooktop.
    I was very happy I didn't burn my grilled cheese sandwiches when I made them on her stove. :D
  • Options
    We've had electric my entire life. lol

Not sure I'd know what to do with a gas burner.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Took a shot today at doing my Canadian taxes with TurboTax which is usually quick and easy. For reasons both known and unknown, it was far less of either this year.

Every year they change the online version slightly and seem to add more "are you sure?" types of questions and also a bunch of come-ons to buy their more expensive versions which come with advisors, audit defense, whatever. Those are just annoying interruptions but they keep adding them. This year for whatever reason some of their screens are less understandable and a couple of them kept repeating themselves for no reason that I could determine. Strange.

The worst part this year was only partly their fault though they are not completely blameless. Their online return system is tied in with the feds so that it downloads your federal tax/income slips automatically. That's a good thing since I did not receive any slips at all from the feds for Canada Pension Plan (a small pension that you pay into all the years you are working, similar to Social Security I suppose) or Old Age Security, which is a smallish amount the feds send you every month once you turn 65 regardless. But there is a catch with that in that they start clawing it back if your income is over $73K or thereabouts, so that once you get to pretax income of just below $100K it goes away entirely as I understand it.

I started receiving both of those in '21 and made sure that 30% was deducted at source so there would be no surprises at tax time. After that withholding the Feds were putting a bit over $400 in my account every month beginning in August. But the clawback part was something I really didn't totally understand. I was plugging along doing my return thinking I was going to get a small refund thanks to charitable deductions and medical expenses. Turns out I needed even more medical expenses than I already had to get that deduction, although the charities did provide a tax credit of almost 30% of what I sent them. But that OAS was a boobytrap. Turbotax waited until the summary page just before you file to insert what turned out to be the clawback amount, with no explanation or link to tell you how they came up with it. I still don't know how the calculation was done. I tried a few times to figure it out manually with no luck and the software offers no visibility to it. Regardless, I owe Justin about $1K it seems. I'm going to wait on paying him. Grrrr.

• Options
    @kyfdx,
    I was looking for the ignitor button like my gas grille. HA HA.
  • Options
    The New York Times just sent me a "Breaking News" email about a record high price for gasoline.

Gas prices, which have been steadily rising for weeks as the conflict in Ukraine has escalated, hit a new high in the United States on Tuesday.

The average price of a gallon of regular gasoline reached $4.173 on Tuesday, according to AAA, surpassing the previous high in July 2008, when the national average was $4.114. The prices are not adjusted for inflation.

Tuesday’s average represented an increase of about 72 cents from a month ago, including about 55 cents in the past week.
    A quick check with an inflation calculator shows that $4.11 in 2008 would be about $5.37 in today's dollars. So this is not nearly as bad as they want you to think.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    In LA gas is as high as $6.599.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited March 2022
    henryn said:

So this is not nearly as bad as they want you to think.

Please stand by. Let us know in X weekis.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    These high gas prices are a goo reason to allow employees to WFH.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited March 2022
    This has been the day from Hades. Getting new fibre internet and phone
    connected. Held onto DSL from phone company too long.

Guy showed up not knowing landline phone was needed. They called
    in a second guy who works for the company. Two holes in the drywall
    overhead later..., they connect the modem &router location in the
    middle of our small home where I wanted, so I wouldn't need their
    repeater setups later. They had finally figured out how to connect
    router to the phone lines.

First guy left at 6:40. He had arrived at 1:30 pm.

Supervisor said I'll need to get 3 estimates to fix the durn hole.

I would think they would have had a "guy" that they sent out
    since working in attics to pull wires, this is going to happen.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited March 2022

@imidazol97
    Sounds extremely frustrating! I’d be upset about the hole in the ceiling for sure.

I honestly didn’t know they still had DSL available. You would have had faster speeds using a cellular modem/router.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

We've had electric my entire life. lol

Not sure I'd know what to do with a gas burner.

Same here except as noted below.

When we got married the apartment we had was equipped with gas and Mrs. j, who also grew up with electric, could not get used to it. Two years later when we built our first house we got an electric job and it had the newly offered self clean oven. Back then you couldn’t get a gas self clean oven.

When we moved to our second house in ‘89 it had a drop in gas oven in the peninsula which looked good but again she could not get used to it. It was gone within 2 months and we’ve never had a gas unit again.

Now, in all 3 of our flip houses we’ve installed gas because that is the rage today and our 4th flip will also have gas. According to the realtor we’ve used no one wants electric today but to be honest I don’t think the millennial generation would know how to cook with either.

jmonroe
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I might have mentioned this before, but it strikes me as relevant how extremely labored this GOV'T Webpage on the relationship between speed and crash risk is to basically disprove the biased preconceived and incorrect notions it starts with. This webpage isn't even that big or long, and look at all these quotes I extracted trying to get around the fact the data just doesn't support the relationship between speed and crash frequency. (Severity is a given, but flying at 500 MPH commercially is still safer than driving a vehicle at 55 MPH):

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/17098/003.cfm
    1. “the relationship between crash frequency and speed is less clear.”

2. “However, the relationship between speed and crash frequency is unknown.”

3. “…while setting the posted speed limit 10 mph (16.1 km/h) lower than the recommended engineering value resulted in an increase in fatal plus injury crashes…”

4. “A consistent, quantifiable relationship between operating speed and crash frequency has not been reported in the literature.”

5. “Moreover, setting artificially lower posted speed limits may increase the variability in operating speeds among vehicles using two-lane rural highways, which may be associated with higher crash frequencies.”

6. “However, the relationship between crash frequency and speed is not as clear.” (This is what highly biased writers do when confronted with data that doesn’t support their preconceived biases; weasel words to get around saying; the data clearly doesn’t support our position.)

7. “…however, the relationship between operating speed and crash frequency has yet to be well established.”
    That's a lot of weaseling.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    @ab348, I’ve been using H & R Block for a few years now and I know I’m pushing the envelope when I keep getting ask something like “are you sure you want to proceed with this amount”? Then there are times when I’m informed, “this amount is not typical for the information provided to this point. Do you want to continue”? My reply is always, “yes”. So far so good.

jmonroe
  • Options
    Went to the accountant today and we are getting over 8k back between Fed and State. I sent in too much estimated taxes, although most of it near the end of the year.